PDA

View Full Version : Lachie Hunter charged with Drink Driving

Pages : [1] 2

azabob
17-04-2020, 08:14 AM
WESTERN Bulldogs vice-captain Lachie Hunter is set to be charged by police after allegedly fleeing the scene of a crash where he is believed to have hit four parked cars while more than two times the blood alcohol limit on Thursday night.

The 25-year-old's licence was suspended for 12 months, while he was also hit with a $1652 penalty notice for breaching strict social distancing directions in place to stop the spread of COVID-19.

Police arrived at the scene of the crash in Middle Park to find Hunter's damaged SUV which appeared to have collided with four cars around 8.45pm.

When the highway patrol unit arrived, Hunter was nowhere to be seen.

He was later located at a South Yarra address and given a preliminary breath test. A subsequent evidentiary breath test recorded a reading of 0.123 – more than two times the legal limit.

Hunter's car, with damage to the front, was towed from the scene with at least one other vehicle.

Alcohol was found on the front seat of Hunter's car.

Police were unable to provide further detail as to how Hunter got from Middle Park to South Yarra – around 3-4km away – but did confirm no one else was charged in relation to the incident.

Earlier in the night, around 7pm, Hunter posted a photo on social media with a group of friends in a 'Zoom' video teleconferencing call. He appeared to be alone in the image.

Police provided AFL.com.au with a statement in the early hours of Friday morning.

"Prahran Highway Patrol were called to Middle Park Thursday evening following reports a car had crashed into a number of parked cars," the statement read.

"The crash occurred on Wright Street where it's believed a Toyota SUV crashed into four unoccupied parked cars about 8.45pm.

"When police arrived, it was found the driver had left the scene.

"Attending police made follow up enquiries and located the 25-year-old driver at an address in South Yarra.

"The Middle Park man was given a preliminary breath test and a subsequent evidentiary breath test, where he furnished a reading of 0.123."

"The man's licence was immediately suspended for 12 months and it is expected will be charged on summons with drink driving and other traffic matters.

"Whilst committing the offences the man was found to be in breach of the directions issued by the Chief Health Officer, and he was issued a $1652 penalty notice.

"The directions by the Chief Health Officer, under the State of Emergency declared in Victoria, have been enacted to help stop the spread of Coronavirus."

Having served in the Dogs' leadership group since 2018, Hunter was elevated to vice-captain in December under new skipper Marcus Bontempelli.

In March last year Hunter signed a five-year extension to remain with the Dogs until the end of 2024.

Hunter's manager and the Western Bulldogs were contacted for comment.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/391534/star-dog-set-to-be-charged-after-allegedly-leaving-car-crash

chef
17-04-2020, 08:25 AM
What a fvck wit.

chef
17-04-2020, 08:28 AM
Stand him down and he can sit out the season when footys back.

GVGjr
17-04-2020, 08:28 AM
Incredibly poor decision making. Lets wait to hear the clubs response but with limited information so far it's hard to find a lot of sympathy or understanding for him at the moment.
He's very fortunate that no one appears to have been hurt

chef
17-04-2020, 08:33 AM
Hes lucky he didnt kill himself or someone else.

The Underdog
17-04-2020, 08:34 AM
Idiot. I’m a fan of Lachie, but this is unbelievably stupid. Out of the leadership group for a start.

angelopetraglia
17-04-2020, 08:44 AM
Peter Gordon on SEN radio https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=626844

whythelongface
17-04-2020, 09:00 AM
Words can’t express the disappointment of this selfish act. Why anyone chooses to drink drive in the first instance is beyond me, but even more so in the current environment. What the hell was he thinking.

Sackable offence for mine.

AndrewP6
17-04-2020, 09:01 AM
If the reports are accurate, immediate dismissal is the only appropriate sanction. No sympathy.

comrade
17-04-2020, 09:03 AM
If the reports are accurate, immediate dismissal is the only appropriate sanction. No sympathy.

Why? He made a mistake, a bad one. Let’s use it as a force for positive teaching/change.

bulldogtragic
17-04-2020, 09:08 AM
Luke Hodge was one sip over the limit, and didn't lose his licence, yet he copped more shot than most...

Lachie:

- .123% (which would be much higher, having reduced over 3-4 hours. He could've been over .15% - 3 times legal limit)
- Accident with 4 cars while drunk
- Leave the scene of an accident
- Breaching COVID 19 laws, while the rest of are doing the right thing

This to me is much worse than Libba being unconscious with a pill in his pocket. He needs to receive the largest sanction and get dropped from the leadership group. This is about the worst news our club could have right now. The saving grace is he didn't kill anyone, but that was luck.

GVGjr
17-04-2020, 09:18 AM
Why? He made a mistake, a bad one. Let’s use it as a force for positive teaching/change.

I like the notion of turning a negative into a positive but I'm not sure we have heard the full story yet.
I think there is a bit more to play out here and we haven't heard it all as yet because I think it will involve other players but yes there might be an opportunity to learn from this

AndrewP6
17-04-2020, 09:21 AM

He made a mistake that could have killed people, for his own amusement (ie getting on the grog) when he's supposed to be training for a return. Drink driving is one thing I particularly cannot stand. I don't want our club associated with such selfish idiots. The positive change can be employing people who don't put others lives at risk.

Hotdog60
17-04-2020, 09:25 AM
As we don't know the full circumstance's hard to know what penalties should apply.
But in saying that a strong message needs to be sent and players have a lot of support more than the average guy on the street.
Leadership group is a given as he has set a bad example and some sort of ban and or fine plus under go counselling.

Ozza
17-04-2020, 09:29 AM

I would support harsh measures certainly, and expect that he will be stripped of the vice captaincy most likely. But I don't agree with 'immediate dismissal'. Its a huge error in judgement, he deserves to be punished and will be, but not to the extent of losing his job. I wouldn't lose my job if I was in Lachie's position - so I don't think I can sit there and say he should.

ReLoad
17-04-2020, 09:30 AM
what a dimwit.

His life has now changed forever, lucky he didn't change someone else's life forever.

EasternWest

Good lord. How many times are we going to accept this idiotic behaviour and hide behind the "let's turn it into a teaching moment"?

If this were the first player for it to happen to then that's maybe understandable, but I'm sure Lachie has heard and read about all the other exact same teaching moments, and still gone and done it.

He's and idiot and deserves real punishment.

jazzadogs
Luke Hodge was one sip over the limit, and didn't lose his licence, yet he copped more shot than most...

Lachie:

- .123% (which would be much higher, having reduced over 3-4 hours. He could've been over .15% - 3 times legal limit)

This to me is much worse than Libba being unconscious with a pill in his pocket. He needs to receive the largest sanction and get dropped from the leadership group. This is about the worst news our club could have right now. The saving grace is he didn't kill anyone, but that was luck.

What is the likely penalty at a legal/policing level? Is fleeing the scene a jail time offence, or will it be a significant fine?

The fleeing the scene part is interesting to me, reports say that he gave his details to at least a couple of the car owners before he left. So it's not like he was completely hiding from responsibility.

I think lengthy xlub suspension (rest of 2020, maybe some 2021 depending on what this season ends up like) with lots of support and training is the go - and increase the amount of support to our players who have lived in a bubble for most of their lives, which has just burst. I'd imagine the mental impact of the current lockdown is larger on those who have had privileged lives than us 'normal' people. I don't think axing him is the right call.

comrade
17-04-2020, 09:38 AM

Lachie:

Good lord. How many times are we going to accept this idiotic behaviour and hide behind the "let's turn it into a teaching moment"?

If this were the first player for it to happen to then that's maybe understandable, but I'm sure Lachie has heard and read about all the other exact same teaching moments, and still gone and done it.

He's and idiot and deserves real punishment.

I prefer to separate the act from the individual. Good people can do stupid things, no one is perfect. What he did was idiotic, and he deserves punishment of course. But he also deserves some compassion and understanding as we have no idea about his particular circumstances.

Mofra
17-04-2020, 09:40 AM
Out of the leadership group for sure. Fine + alcohol awareness course. Make him front the media.

What exactly are we going to "stand him down" from though? We're not playing and not training, and unlike Libba we can hardly ship him off to a real job for four weeks.

ReLoad
17-04-2020, 09:43 AM
Out of the leadership group for sure. Fine + alcohol awareness course. Make him front the media.

What exactly are we going to "stand him down" from though? We're not playing and not training, and unlike Libba we can hardly ship him off to a real job for four weeks.

we actually can, there's still homelessness and alcoholism issues rampant in our community, there plenty he can be doing to learn from his mistake.

AndrewP6
17-04-2020, 09:48 AM
I prefer to separate the act from the individual. Good people can do stupid things, no one is perfect. What he did was idiotic, and he deserves punishment of course. But he also deserves some compassion and understanding as we have no idea about his particular circumstances.

If what he did was to impact only himself, sure. But drunk drivers deserve no compassion.

boydogs
17-04-2020, 09:54 AM
Have we confirmed it was him driving, not someone else using his car? Innocent until proven guilty

EasternWest
17-04-2020, 09:57 AM

I respect the reasons why your opinion is such but I just can't accept it myself.

I feel like the only way to settle this is pistols at twenty paces.

EasternWest
17-04-2020, 09:57 AM
Have we confirmed it was him driving, not someone else using his car? Innocent until proven guilty

Why would they breath test a passenger?

GVGjr
17-04-2020, 10:00 AM

It's just so hard to gauge without all the facts but I suspect it will be a combination of what you are suggesting and some other more harsh measures.
I wonder where he went when he left the accident and where the police tested him? Could he have possibly involved others including our own players in this?

comrade
17-04-2020, 10:06 AM
I respect the reasons why your opinion is such but I just can't accept it myself.

I feel like the only way to settle this is pistols at twenty paces.

Public stoning may also work ;)

chef
17-04-2020, 10:06 AM
Why would they breath test a passenger?

And why would a passenger do a runner?

azabob
17-04-2020, 10:14 AM
The stupidity gets worse if this is true from The Age.

"Sources close to Hunter have told The Age he knocked on the door of two of the neighbours' houses to tell them of the damage, before being driven by the friend to another friend's house.

It was at this South Yarra address that Hunter allegedly continued to drink, before police knocked on the door later in the night."

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/afl-star-player-allegedly-crashes-into-parked-cars-flees-scene-20200417-p54knx.html

bornadog
17-04-2020, 10:16 AM
Very disappointed in Lachie, and seems like an unlikely character to do such thing. It is one thing to drink and drive, but to flee the scene is not good.

Remi Moses
17-04-2020, 10:17 AM
Incredibly stupid
Not sure the penalty, but a season suspension is a tad overs for mine

Remi Moses
17-04-2020, 10:17 AM
And why would a passenger do a runner?

I dare say he’s panicked . Complete brain fade

bulldogsthru&thru
17-04-2020, 10:19 AM
Has he done a runner? He apparently gave details to some of the car owners. Yes the police weren’t called as they should have been but I’d put that more down to poor judgement than anything else.

The guys an idiot there’s no two ways about it. If someone had told me a dogs player had done something like this Lachie would probably have been my first or second guess. But before sacking him I’d consider the fact that the man has some issues. Anyone who gets behind the car with that reading has some serious problems. I don’t think sacking him would help those problems. But he should sit out this season and be dumped from the leadership group at a minimum.

Mantis
17-04-2020, 10:19 AM

"Sources close to Hunter have told The Age he knocked on the door of two of the neighbours' houses to tell them of the damage, before being driven by the friend to another friend's house.

It was at this South Yarra address that Hunter allegedly continued to drink, before police knocked on the door later in the night."

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/afl-star-player-allegedly-crashes-into-parked-cars-flees-scene-20200417-p54knx.html

How incredibly dumb.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-04-2020, 10:20 AM

Oh dear he’s even dumber than I gave him credit for

comrade
17-04-2020, 10:26 AM
Oh dear he’s even dumber than I have him credit for

I'm picturing Lachie answering the door to the police with a Corona in hand like 'yo, here to join the party?!'

Remi Moses
17-04-2020, 10:31 AM
He’s a made a dumb choice then backed over it !
Good god

Mantis
17-04-2020, 10:44 AM
Funny comment from twitter - 'first time he's hit 4 targets in a row!'

The Pie Man
17-04-2020, 10:46 AM

So there's no way of really knowing what his BAC was at the time of the accident given he's voluntarily increased it in the following hours....though given alcohol was found on the front seat, you have to assume he would've been over the limit.

Not immune to controversy is young Lachlan. Everything about this must be sooooo embarrassing for him...which is the least of his problems. I'm also in the condemn the action, support the person camp, but drunk driving....

Obviously will lose the VC, though I'd comfortable write off his year. Is it too soon / wrong thread to talk about who (e.g Crozier / Dunkley) would step up as VC?

GVGjr
17-04-2020, 10:47 AM

That was the part I heard earlier. Are any of the friends players?

Axe Man
17-04-2020, 10:49 AM
I have it on good authority a former player lives on the street where Lachie crashed.

AFL player allegedly caught drink driving (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-player-allegedly-caught-drink-driving/news-story/172db56fbd160bf1659cc90b6aa9d5c6)

Western Bulldogs vice-captain Lachie Hunter allegedly smashed his car into several other cars while drunk in inner Melbourne last night.

Police were called to Wright St, Middle Park about 8.45pm on Thursday where a Toyota SUV had crashed into four parked cars.

It’s alleged Hunter had fled the scene but official AFL gear was reportedly left inside the vehicle.

Police located the 25-year-old at a property in South Yarra.

He returned an evidentiary breath test of 0.123 – more than twice the legal limit.

Hunter is expected to be charged on summons with drink driving and other traffic matters.

He was also slapped with a $1652 fine for breaching coronavirus restrictions.

Western Bulldogs President Peter Gordon told the Herald Sun he would be discussing the incident with Hunter later today.

“We are aware of it and will be investigating,” he said.

“I will talk to Lachie in the next few hours and will have more to say then.”

Speaking to 3AW, AFL reporter Sam McClure said he had spoken to Hunter and there was “a little more to this story”.

“He was in Middle Park visiting someone, has been drinking, clearly doing the wrong thing, and I believe he’s admitted he did the wrong thing and knocked into a couple of parked cars,” McClure said.

“He did knock on neighbours’ doors to tell multiple neighbours about the damage and since then has been driven by neighbours to a friend’s house.

“One of the other neighbours called the police as you can understand, but, the thing that will make this interesting from my understanding is that Lachie continued to have a couple of drinks at a friend’s house in South Yarra by the time police caught up with him at I think 11.00pm”

Mr McClure said he was aware “someone very well-known” to Hunter then drove him to South Yarra.

“I can only assume, and now I’m putting two and two together, that once police were called to the address that police then knocked on doors and then found the person that Lachie had been with and that’s where they found out where he was.”

Simon Dixon was watching TV when he heard an almighty crash outside his home.

He rushed out to find his Exopest van and other cars smashed.

“It was an enormous bang,” he said.

“I just saw the carnage of the five cars. They were all like dominos.”

His wife called triple-0 as he and neighbours rushed over to make sure Hunter was okay.

Hunter asked if police had been called and took off in another car before they arrived, Mr Dixon said.

“He was okay. He wasn’t injured,” said Mr Dixon.

“We were in shock.

“Police were looking for the driver when they came.”

In a statement Western Bulldogs Football club said they were “aware of an incident involving Lachie Hunter on Thursday evening.”

“The club is in the process of investigating the exact circumstances surrounding the incident, and will confirm details when possible.”

A damaged silver Mercedes hatchback GLA250 and white Range Rover are located at the crash scene.

The Mercedes bumper is on the road, scattered with debris and plastic.

The Range Rover has damage to its rear.

Grantysghost
17-04-2020, 10:53 AM
I was stressed so I downed half a bottle of whisky offisher *hic*....
Dumb, lucky no injuries. Allegedly at this stage, hes been uber impressive since the betting issue early in career.
Gordon on ABC said this :

"said the vice-captain was "a good young man".

"Sadly it's a reflection of not dealing with the pressure of what a whole lot of us are under at the moment but you can't see that as an excuse," Mr Gordon said.

"This is behaviour we don't want to see."

bornadog
17-04-2020, 11:03 AM
I have it on good authority a former player lives on the street where Lachie crashed.

Is that your comment Axe Man, or from McClure?

Axe Man
17-04-2020, 11:04 AM
Is that your comment Axe Man, or from McClure?

Mine. I know somebody who lives nearby and regularly sees this former player. I suspect McClure knows it too and is likely the person well known to Lachie.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-04-2020, 11:15 AM
Mine. I know somebody who lives nearby and regularly sees this former player. I suspect McClure knows it too and is likely the person well known to Lachie.

Ex bulldog?

hujsh
17-04-2020, 11:19 AM
I was stressed so I downed half a bottle of whisky offisher *hic*....
Dumb, lucky no injuries. Allegedly at this stage, hes been uber impressive since the betting issue early in career.
Gordon on ABC said this :

"said the vice-captain was "a good young man".

"Sadly it's a reflection of not dealing with the pressure of what a whole lot of us are under at the moment but you can't see that as an excuse," Mr Gordon said.

"This is behaviour we don't want to see."

I figured Coronavirus pressure would get used as a partial excuse. Smart I suppose.

GVGjr
17-04-2020, 11:19 AM
I'm picturing Lachie answering the door to the police with a Corona in hand like 'yo, here to join the party?!'

Corona? Really? :)

Axe Man
17-04-2020, 11:22 AM
Ex bulldog?

Affirmative.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-04-2020, 11:39 AM
If this happened in his first few years I wouldn't have been surprised, but now? Disappointing and incredibly stupid.

More to the story as always but he deserves what comes his way.

Eastdog
17-04-2020, 11:40 AM
Not good Lachie. Thank goodness no one was hurt.

angelopetraglia
17-04-2020, 11:53 AM
WESTERN Bulldogs vice-captain Lachie Hunter was driven by teammate Bailey Smith from the scene of a drink-driving incident where he is alleged to have hit four parked cars on Thursday evening.

Hunter, who later blew 0.123, was taken by the second-year midfielder to teammate Billy Gowers' house in South Yarra after the incident in Middle Park around 8.45pm.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/391534

Mantis
17-04-2020, 11:53 AM
Reports that Bailey Smith drove Hunter away from the scene of incident. :D

Axe Man
17-04-2020, 11:55 AM
UPDATE: Dog facing charges after allegedly leaving crash with teammate (https://www.afl.com.au/news/391534/update-dog-facing-charges-after-allegedly-leaving-crash-with-teammate)

WESTERN Bulldogs vice-captain Lachie Hunter was driven by teammate Bailey Smith from the scene of a drink-driving incident where he is alleged to have hit four parked cars on Thursday evening.

Hunter, who later blew 0.123, was taken by the second-year midfielder to teammate Billy Gowers' house in South Yarra after the incident in Middle Park around 8.45pm.

Police arrived at the scene of the crash in Wright Street to find Hunter's damaged SUV with the star midfielder nowhere to be seen.

He was later located at a South Yarra address – now confirmed as Gowers' property - and given a preliminary breath test. A subsequent evidentiary breath test recorded a reading more than two times the legal blood alcohol limit.

Hunter's car, along with two of the four cars he is alleged to have hit, was towed from the scene.

It is believed one of the cars hit by Hunter belonged to the parents of Smith's girlfriend which became known at the time of exchanging contact details.

Alcohol was found on the front seat of Hunter's car.

On Friday morning he was set to be charged on summons.

The 25-year-old's licence was suspended for 12 months, while he was also hit with a $1652 penalty notice for breaching strict social distancing directions in place to stop the spread of COVID-19.

After departing Gowers' house, it is understood Hunter then went to his sister's property for the rest of the evening.

Hunter and Gowers are close friends and last year travelled in the off-season together.

The Dogs were scrambling for information of the incident when they were called on Friday morning.

"I can confirm there was an incident with one of our players," Dogs president Peter Gordon told AFL.com.au.

"We're in the process of investigating what happened and we'll say something more when we know something more about it."

Earlier in the night, around 7pm AEST, Hunter posted a photo on social media with a group of friends in a 'Zoom' video teleconferencing call. He appeared to be alone in the image.

Police provided AFL.com.au with a statement in the early hours of Friday morning.

"Prahran Highway Patrol were called to Middle Park Thursday evening following reports a car had crashed into a number of parked cars," the statement read.

"The crash occurred on Wright Street where it's believed a Toyota SUV crashed into four unoccupied parked cars about 8.45pm.

"When police arrived, it was found the driver had left the scene.

"Attending police made follow up enquiries and located the 25-year-old driver at an address in South Yarra.

"The man's licence was immediately suspended for 12 months and it is expected will be charged on summons with drink driving and other traffic matters.

"Whilst committing the offences the man was found to be in breach of the directions issued by the Chief Health Officer, and he was issued a $1652 penalty notice.

"The directions by the Chief Health Officer, under the State of Emergency declared in Victoria, have been enacted to help stop the spread of Coronavirus."

Having served in the Dogs' leadership group since 2018, Hunter was elevated to vice-captain in December under new skipper Marcus Bontempelli.

In March last year Hunter signed a five-year extension to remain with the Dogs until the end of 2024.

Hunter's manager was contacted for comment.

angelopetraglia
17-04-2020, 12:09 PM
That he has involved other teammates when he is the Vice-Captain makes this about 10 times worse in my opinion. Such a bad example and even worse when he is actually influencing others.

Happy Days
17-04-2020, 12:12 PM
So this is that damn Billy Gowers’ fault. I knew it.

GVGjr
17-04-2020, 12:12 PM

https://www.afl.com.au/news/391534

Yep, That just about completes it

bulldogsthru&thru
17-04-2020, 12:25 PM
Wow dragging along a second year player too. What a horrible example to set. What’s next?

Mofra
17-04-2020, 12:25 PM
Wow, Smith and Gowers involved. What's next, they find a GWS membership in his wallet?

divvydan
17-04-2020, 12:26 PM
Wouldn't shock me at all to find out that the "drinking at Gowers' place afterwards" was him stupidly trying to cast doubt on how much alcohol he'd had at the time of the crash.

The Pie Man
17-04-2020, 12:27 PM
Yep, That just about completes it

Does young Bailey get the Cameron Bancroft treatment (as in, being directed by a senior team member under pressure etc) or does it not matter that he drove him away from the scene (to not his house given we're all in lockdown)?

Somewhere in the middle?

This is a weird story

divvydan
17-04-2020, 12:32 PM
Given Bailey Smith doesn't drink, I could see him being the team's designated driver.

Vred
17-04-2020, 12:47 PM
Drink Driving? Dumb as can get
Involving team mates? Even dumber

Jesus this is a bad one for the club..

jazzadogs
17-04-2020, 12:55 PM
"Hey Bailey, I've left my details with the neighbours. Please make sure they get shared to anyone else whose car was damaged. Can you drop me off at Billy's place, I've had a fight with my girlfriend and can't go home?"

Is that really so ridiculous?

(The drink driving, crashing into cars, drinking at Gowers place is all very stupid. But don't think Bazlenka has done much wrong)

Grantysghost
17-04-2020, 01:04 PM
One of the cars belonged to the parents of Bailey's better half so maybe he was involved that way?

Sedat
17-04-2020, 01:04 PM
Hunter's actoins are beyond stupid but Bailey Smith cannot get a leave pass for choosing to drive someone inebriated away from the scene of an accident. Terrible lack of judgement which hopefully he learns from.

Bulldog4life
17-04-2020, 01:08 PM
Peter Gordon on SEN radio https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=626844

Poor Peter sounded so rattled. What an idiot Hunter is.

Murphy'sLore
17-04-2020, 01:10 PM
Very disappointing all round. I would guess every other club is thanking God it wasn't them. Lachie has always struck me as a young man who needs a tight leash, but it is very poor that there are three of them involved now.

jeemak
17-04-2020, 01:13 PM
This is all just a ruse created by GVG to increase site traffic.

Jokes aside, the guy shouldn't lose his job irrespective of the thirst for a public flogging being palpable for many. Full force of the law, maximum fine allowable under AFLPA guidelines, further education, and removal from the leadership group for a minimum three years is around the mark for me. Probably a suspension is in order as well.....but what from I'm not sure.

Smith and Gowers have a bit to answer for as well, particularly the former.

Bulldog4life
17-04-2020, 01:17 PM
Wouldn't shock me at all to find out that the "drinking at Gowers' place afterwards" was him stupidly trying to cast doubt on how much alcohol he'd had at the time of the crash.

Thought the same thing.

hujsh
17-04-2020, 01:21 PM
Honestly if I was 19 and someone in their late 20s said, "I hit some cars and left my details can you please drive me home because I'm drunk" I'd have thought doing so was responsible, not realising Hunter needed to wait for the police.

I don't think Bailey deserves much shit for this.

The bulldog tragician
17-04-2020, 01:22 PM
You wonder if 2020 could get any worse.

I thought/hoped Lachie had matured after initially appearing as a rather cocky young man.

Everything about this is bad. The lack of leadership and involving younger less experienced players. Being out on the booze when we are all making huge sacrifices to keep the community safe.It could have been even worse and a young family could have been driving around and been hit by him in his intoxicated state. I don’t know what the appropriate penalty is but it will have to be a severe one given the many compounding actions taken after the initial idiocy.

bornadog
17-04-2020, 01:22 PM
Honestly if I was 19 and someone in their late 20s said, "I hit some cars and left my details can you please drive me home because I'm drunk" I'd have thought doing so was responsible, not realising Hunter needed to wait for the police.

Agreed, he probably thought he was doing the right thing.

Grantysghost
17-04-2020, 01:29 PM

Agree and Bailey is the type of kid who would think he was doing the right thing and being responsible. He will learn from it. I have some insight into him off field and he is by all reports a fantastic kid.
Lachie involving him, if true, would be hardly surprising (albeit infuriating); it sounds like he was trying to break the record for stupid decisions in one night.

bulldogtragic
17-04-2020, 01:33 PM

I've heard that one before. Good luck getting up on that. But he has clearly got strategic legal advice in the meantime to try to give himself some cover, albeit not a legally very strong argument.

jeemak
17-04-2020, 01:33 PM
Nah I'm pretty sure if I drove a pissed person who wrecked four or five cars from a partially unreported accident scene at the age of nineteen I'd have known I was doing the wrong thing.

Also, I'm pretty sure if I drove a pissed person who wrecked four or five cars from a partially unreported accident scene at the age of nineteen after having had drug and alcohol and other types of social response training I'd have known I was doing the wrong thing.

bulldogtragic
17-04-2020, 01:40 PM
Smith & Gowers at a minimum getting a COVID 19 fine too. Easy to prove.

In a world without footy news, this story is going to stay around short of an NRL player being videod 'bubbling' again.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-04-2020, 01:46 PM
Nah I'm pretty sure if I drove a pissed person who wrecked four or five cars from a partially unreported accident scene at the age of nineteen I'd have known I was doing the wrong thing.

Also, I'm pretty sure if I drove a pissed person who wrecked four or five cars from a partially unreported accident scene at the age of nineteen after having had drug and alcohol and other types of social response training I'd have known I was doing the wrong thing.

Yep - Bailey doesn't get a free pass here.

bornadog
17-04-2020, 01:48 PM
Yep - Bailey doesn't get a free pass here.

What is his punishment?

GVGjr
17-04-2020, 01:52 PM
Wow dragging along a second year player too. What a horrible example to set. What’s next?

I tend to think both Smith and Gowers are responsible for their own decisions
Hunter has made some significant mistakes but the others need to own their part

Remi Moses
17-04-2020, 02:05 PM
The way the news cycle is currently
This could linger for weeks

Remi Moses
17-04-2020, 02:06 PM
Bad judgment call from Gowers and young Smith

SonofScray
17-04-2020, 02:11 PM
Hunter has done the wrong thing here. Just an awful decision and behaviour, full stop. Add the current climate and it just gets worse. I hate drink drivers. It's a shit act. Should be stripped of your license for a very long time. His tenure at the club should be questioned. Sacked? Stripped of vice captaincy? These things are worth considering. Generally I think just let the legal system take care of it, but he is a leader and senior player, involving other players. Poor conduct.

Baz seems like a good kid, it's a bit of a stretch but I can him taking things on face value and assuming it was smart to drive a colleague to a friend's place once details had been shared etc. Mightn't be the most appropriate course of action but assuming he wasn't plastered himself, I'm not inclined to turn any outrage on him.

jazzadogs
17-04-2020, 02:15 PM

Nobody was injured, he'd given his details, and cops were aware. It's not like he was hiding from it. From the media report Bailey also told the cops straight away where Lachie was.

There's no excuse for drink driving, but without having ANY context around his decision making it would be nice for the trial to be put on hold for a little while.

Grantysghost
17-04-2020, 02:18 PM
I think people are filling in a lot of gaps with innuendo, probably best to wait for the facts before the widespread condemnation.

Worst case if they're complicit in aiding him to leave before the police arrived there are simply no excuses. But that may not be how it unfolded.

I'm still laughing from BT's bubbling reference above...has anyone researched this as a means of Covid-19 transmission? ;)

Topdog
17-04-2020, 02:26 PM
Lachie is an absolute dickhead here.

Dont really see that Bailey has done much wrong. Didn't hide anything and made sure his friend was safe. He is 19.

EasternWest
17-04-2020, 02:30 PM
Very disappointed in Lachie, and seems like an unlikely character to do such thing. It is one thing to drink and drive, but to flee the scene is not good.

Yeah, a known party boy from a horse racing, punting background with a long connection to footy culture. Seems totally unlikely.

"Hey Bailey, I've left my details with the neighbours. Please make sure they get shared to anyone else whose car was damaged. Can you drop me off at Billy's place, I've had a fight with my girlfriend and can't go home?"

Is that really so ridiculous?

Yes. It's completely ridiculous.

What the hell is going on with the apologists in this thread? I can't believe what in reading.

All the people involved in this knew it was wrong, and thought they could run/hide/cover it up. There's no other way to look at it. None. Anyone who says otherwise is deluded.

Serious penalties need to be handed out over this - this isn't something to just dismiss.

Sedat
17-04-2020, 02:39 PM

Let alone the fact that we all know what is and isn't permitted as essential travel in this current environment. 1) Leaving his home to pick Hunter up is already a poor error of judgement
2) Add in driving him, not straight to his home but to a mate's place, is another black mark. 3) And upon arriving at the scene, and even if Hunter was imploring him not to report the incident to police, seeing 4 smashed cars and a potentially pissed teammate should have been a no-brainer for Smith to alert the police or at least Peter Gordon or Ameet Bains.

I can't see how anybody can excuse Smith's very poor judgement and decision making thoughout the course of the evening. That's not to say he didn't act with the best of intentions, but quite simply he screwed up big time.

Ozza
17-04-2020, 02:42 PM
Yeah, a known party boy from a horse racing, punting background with a long connection to footy culture. Seems totally unlikely.

So an interest in horse racing/punting is an indication of poor character?

The Pie Man
17-04-2020, 02:51 PM
Feel a bit for Smith, and we do need to know the full story.

He's been thrust into a situation not of his creation....and do we know they (Bailey & Lachie) knew the cops had been called? Police aren't required to attend every car accident.

But if they knew and just took off, to anywhere but Hunter's house no less, it's an incredibly stupid direction to take.

Heard little bits of Bevo on SEN with Bob yesterday, seemed in a jovial mood - I can only imagine how he'd feel now....and I reckon a Bevo spray for such behavior could be reasonably fierce.

bornadog
17-04-2020, 03:05 PM

What I have seen and know about Hunter, he is not the rough type to do stupid things, and I for one was surprised by this incident.

He stuffed up big time and I am sure he will pay for it, and learn from his mistake. He will feel very embarrassed by this today.

EasternWest
17-04-2020, 03:06 PM

Read my comment again. YOU put the word poor in there.

I think Lachie is a child of his environment and don't find this incident at all surprising.

jazzadogs
17-04-2020, 03:06 PM
Let alone the fact that we all know what is and isn't permitted as essential travel in this current environment. 1) Leaving his home to pick Hunter up is already a poor error of judgement
2) Add in driving him, not straight to his home but to a mate's place, is another black mark. 3) And upon arriving at the scene, and even if Hunter was imploring him not to report the incident to police, seeing 4 smashed cars and a potentially pissed teammate should have been a no-brainer for Smith to alert the police or at least Peter Gordon or Ameet Bains.

I can't see how anybody can excuse Smith's very poor judgement and decision making thoughout the course of the evening. That's not to say he didn't act with the best of intentions, but quite simply he screwed up big time.

Bailey was presumably at the scene, as the scene was his girlfriend's house. Perhaps there was a reason that Lachie wasn't able to go back to his house, and was (stupidly) driving himself somewhere to get away from his own home.

As a 19 year old, I was in a car accident where my car spun and crashed into a bus stop. I called a tow truck, I called my parents, but it didn't cross my mind to call the police as nobody was hurt and it was not an emergency.

Ozza
17-04-2020, 03:14 PM

I think Lachie is a child of his environment and don't find this incident at all surprising.

Ok - you didn't say the word poor, but the inference is clear.
Bornadog said he was an unlikely character to do this sort of thing - and you responded that he is a known party boy with a racing/punting background and a long connection to footy culture. And then above went over it again with the child of his environment comment.

So you are questioning his character due to his environment of his father's involvement in racing and footy, and the party reference I guess with whoever his friends are. Thats fine if thats your opinion, just own it if you think that.

bornadog
17-04-2020, 03:17 PM
Bailey was presumably at the scene, as the scene was his girlfriend's house. Perhaps there was a reason that Lachie wasn't able to go back to his house, and was (stupidly) driving himself somewhere to get away from his own home.

As a 19 year old, I was in a car accident where my car spun and crashed into a bus stop. I called a tow truck, I called my parents, but it didn't cross my mind to call the police as nobody was hurt and it was not an emergency.

I read he had an argument with his Fiance and didn't want to go back home. Ended up sleeping at his sisters place after leaving Billy's place.

AndrewP6
17-04-2020, 03:17 PM
Lachie is an absolute dickhead here.

Dont really see that Bailey has done much wrong. Didn't hide anything and made sure his friend was safe. He is 19.

So the laws around driving, and leaving the scene of an accident should be fairly fresh in his mind. He helped Hunter break the law.

bornadog
17-04-2020, 03:30 PM
So the laws around driving, and leaving the scene of an accident should be fairly fresh in his mind. He helped Hunter break the law.

I don't think anyone is saying Bailey did the right thing, they are just saying they can understand what he did, given his age and most likely immaturity.

The Pie Man
17-04-2020, 03:36 PM
Feel a bit for Smith, and we do need to know the full story.

He's been thrust into a situation not of his creation....and do we know they (Bailey & Lachie) knew the cops had been called? Police aren't required to attend every car accident.

But if they knew and just took off, to anywhere but Hunter's house no less, it's an incredibly stupid direction to take.

Heard little bits of Bevo on SEN with Bob yesterday, seemed in a jovial mood - I can only imagine how he'd feel now....and I reckon a Bevo spray for such behavior could be reasonably fierce.

Sorry to quote myself, but an update - just saw a 9 report, it does seem he knew the police had been called.

Far out.

jeemak
17-04-2020, 03:46 PM
Here's what your responsibilities are in the case of being involved in an accident:

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/road-rules/a-to-z-of-road-rules/crash-responsibilities

Grantysghost
17-04-2020, 03:53 PM

Will Hayes will be next by that rationale.

Sedat
17-04-2020, 04:03 PM
Will Hayes will be next by that rationale.
He'll be happy that a spot on the wing has suddenly opened up for him when the season resumes

comrade
17-04-2020, 04:03 PM
For those saying this is the worst time for this to happen from a negative PR perspective, I think it's the opposite. With every change and update to the proposed season etc, the draft, the next drama... the news cycle moves on and journos starved for morsels will cling on to the next thing.

For example, the UFC's Jon Jones is a top 3 star in his sport and the longest reigning champion in the UFC. He was arrested less than 2 weeks ago and while it exploded at the time, it's barely making a ripple now. It did help that the president of the UFC started planning events to be fought on an island, but you get my point.

Lachie deserves an almighty whack but the world will move on.

hujsh
17-04-2020, 04:04 PM

Yes. It's completely ridiculous.

What the hell is going on with the apologists in this thread? I can't believe what in reading.

All the people involved in this knew it was wrong, and thought they could run/hide/cover it up. There's no other way to look at it. None. Anyone who says otherwise is deluded.

Serious penalties need to be handed out over this - this isn't something to just dismiss.

Hang on a second, didn't a report say Smith called the Police? If so I'm calling BS on the bolded part. I don't think anyone thought anything was getting covered up. Hunter gave his details to neighbours. Pretty shit effort to hide it if that's the intent.

Sedat
17-04-2020, 04:06 PM
I read he had an argument with his Fiance and didn't want to go back home. Ended up sleeping at his sisters place after leaving Billy's place.
What part of 'stay home unless it is essential travel' doesn't he understand? Add that to the list of laws he has broken in a rather calamitous few hours.

Dry Rot
17-04-2020, 04:07 PM
I don't think anyone is saying Bailey did the right thing, they are just saying they can understand what he did, given his age and most likely immaturity.

I don't understand the criticism Smith is copping here.

It's not like he was several suburbs away, got a call from Hunter, drove over to the scene of the accident and helped Hunter make a getaway.

Rather, the accident happened in the street where Smith was, he saw Hunter gives his details and couldn't invite him in as it breached social distancing rules. He offered Hunter a lift, or Hunter asked for one. It is Hunter's responsibility to choose where he went. It is Hunter's responsibility to choose to continue drinking when he got there.

Alternatively, you are suggesting that Smith should have refused to give his team mate a lift unless it was to the player's home. I do not believe that was Smith's responsibility.

Axe Man
17-04-2020, 04:09 PM
Here's what your responsibilities are in the case of being involved in an accident:

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/road-rules/a-to-z-of-road-rules/crash-responsibilities

From that information alone he doesn't seem to have broken any rules. Is there another rule concerning staying at the scene if driving under the influence or something?

Sedat
17-04-2020, 04:13 PM
I don't understand the criticism Smith is copping here.

It's not like he was several suburbs away, got a call from Hunter, drove over to the scene of the accident and helped Hunter make a getaway.

Rather, the accident happened in the street where Smith was, he saw Hunter gives his details and couldn't invite him in as it breached social distancing rules. He offered Hunter a lift, or Hunter asked for one. It is Hunter's responsibility to choose where he went. It is Hunter's responsibility to choose to continue drinking when he got there.

Alternatively, you are suggesting that Smith should have refused to give his team mate a lift unless it was to the player's home. I do not believe that was Smith's responsibility.
A simple call to Bains or Gordon was the right action if that is what transpired. Smith would know it is non-essential travel to take Hunter to Billy Gowers' place. He is less culpable under your scenario but still culpable nonetheless. I'm not doubting his intentions, but rather his judgement.

Topdog
17-04-2020, 04:17 PM

Exactly what I'm getting at. I dont think Smith did something that was good but can completely understand why he did it and what he did wasn't terrible. The alternate was leaving Hunter walking around on the street drunk and highly emotional.

EasternWest
17-04-2020, 04:24 PM
Ok - you didn't say the word poor, but the inference is clear.
Bornadog said he was an unlikely character to do this sort of thing - and you responded that he is a known party boy with a racing/punting background and a long connection to footy culture. And then above went over it again with the child of his environment comment.

So you are questioning his character due to his environment of his father's involvement in racing and footy, and the party reference I guess with whoever his friends are. Thats fine if thats your opinion, just own it if you think that.

I'm not questioning his character - I'm stating that's what his character is.

We're all products of our environment. That's not making any assessment, that's just a statement of fact.

Lachie was a partyboy lair when he joined the club - it was widely known and widely criticised. I'm prepared to accept that he's grown up a bit as he's got older, but we all never change that much.

As far as owning my opinion, isn't that exactly what I've done a number of times now?

You seem to think I'm applying some kind of emotional reaction to this - I'm not. This isn't an off with his head offense - but he should have known better and I find it surprising people are downplaying how serious it is.

AndrewP6
17-04-2020, 04:34 PM
From that information alone he doesn't seem to have broken any rules. Is there another rule concerning staying at the scene if driving under the influence or something?

if there is any property damage and the owner (or Police) is not there, you must report the crash to the nearest open police station.

Not leave a note for the neighbours and bugger off.

The Pie Man
17-04-2020, 04:40 PM
Hang on a second, didn't a report say Smith called the Police? If so I'm calling BS on the bolded part. I don't think anyone thought anything was getting covered up. Hunter gave his details to neighbours. Pretty shit effort to hide it if that's the intent.

One of the local residents called the police, and her husband notified Lachie of this (he asked them)

Whether Bailey was present for that conversation is another matter, but if he was and Lachie asked him for a lift to Bill’s place following this, he clearly should’ve said ‘nah, we should stay’

Tough spot

bornadog
17-04-2020, 04:48 PM

How do you know this?

One of the local residents called the police, and her husband notified Lachie of this (he asked them)

Whether Bailey was present for that conversation is another matter, but if he was and Lachie asked him for a lift to Bill’s place following this, he clearly should’ve said ‘nah, we should stay’

Tough spot

Just shows we don't know the full story

Axe Man
17-04-2020, 04:51 PM
if there is any property damage and the owner (or Police) is not there, you must report the crash to the nearest open police station.

The reports to hand state he left his details with the vehicle owners. Perhaps he didn't leave details with all the owners and that's the issue? Nowhere has it said anything about leaving a note.

AndrewP6
17-04-2020, 04:52 PM
How do you know this?

Just shows we don't know the full story

The reports to hand state he knocked on doors and left his details with the vehicle owners. Perhaps he didn't leave details with all the owners and that's the issue? Nowhere has it said anything about leaving a note.

I’ve read it somewhere, I’ll try and find it.

Axe Man
17-04-2020, 04:56 PM
Some further details:

Two of the four damaged cars belong to Smith’s girlfriend’s family — with one vehicle believed to be owned by either the girlfriend or her sister.

An associate of Smith dropped the keys to the damaged Mercedes at the scene before it was towed away.

He would not comment when approached by the Herald Sun.

Smith briefly visited his girlfriend at her family’s Wright St home this afternoon.

He drove a white Toyota Hilux and parked at the back entrance.

He gave a peace sign to media as he drove away about 1.40pm.

The crashed cars were located directly outside the family home.

A woman delivered white roses to the family this afternoon and said they were a “lovely family” and it was a shame they had been caught up in the scandal.

Mofra
17-04-2020, 04:59 PM
Pretty much this. It's not the cold sober light of day Smith was dealing with, he was dealing with an alcohol-affected Vice Captain who was upset after a fight with his fiance who had just plowed his car into four others, it was late and Hunter wasn't going home.

He did the wrong thing but I think his intentions were sound. The kid's a teetotaller who was basically OCD in his footy preparation on and off the field.

Dry Rot
17-04-2020, 05:06 PM
Pretty much this. It's not the cold sober light of day Smith was dealing with, he was dealing with an alcohol-affected Vice Captain who was upset after a fight with his fiance who had just plowed his car into four others, it was late and Hunter wasn't going home.

He did the wrong thing but I think his intentions were sound.

So what exactly was the wrong thing that Smith did?

Hunter wasn't going home. Should Smith have called an Uber for Hunter and not worried where he went, or just left Hunter in the street?

I don't think it was up to Smith to contact the club and dob Hunter in either.

Axe Man
17-04-2020, 05:09 PM
As a comparison Jarman Impey crashed into parked cars a few years back (including Angus Monfries car) and drove away. He apparently wasn't drink driving though (not sure if he wasn't or just didn't get caught). Got convicted and fined in court and a 1 match ban and $5,000 fine from Port Adelaide.

westbulldog
17-04-2020, 05:17 PM
Hunter will be punished under the road code and presumably under the Victorian covid "stay home/social isolation" regs.
Smith can perhaps be excused due to his age and he being the "junior" in the incident. He needs to heed the hard lesson.
If we are to continue with the no dickheads policy then alas Hunter's contract is very likely terminated.

bornadog
17-04-2020, 05:45 PM
So what exactly was the wrong thing that Smith did?

Hunter wasn't going home. Should Smith have called an Uber for Hunter and not worried where he went, or just left Hunter in the street?

I don't think it was up to Smith to contact the club and dob Hunter in either.

Smith shouldn't be out and about under stay at home rules.

Bulldog4life
17-04-2020, 05:59 PM
What part of 'stay home unless it is essential travel' doesn't he understand? Add that to the list of laws he has broken in a rather calamitous few hours.

Yep essential travel, social distancing etc, all fines to be paid by the 3 players then Hunter has to face some pretty serious charges on top of that.

Axe Man
17-04-2020, 06:06 PM
A bit more info. I think this shows we should wait until everything comes out before we send him to the gallows.

Inside Western Bulldogs’ Lachie Hunter’s dramatic hours before alleged booze-fuelled crash (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-player-allegedly-caught-drink-driving/news-story/172db56fbd160bf1659cc90b6aa9d5c6)

Hours before Western Bulldogs vice-captain Lachie Hunter smashed into several other cars while allegedly driving drunk in inner Melbourne last night, sources say he had a massive row with his fiancee.

The Herald Sun has been told Hunter had a big fight with his childhood sweetheart Maddie Sullivan-Thorpe yesterday afternoon.

The argument rocked the footy star and, stuck in isolation and in a questionable headspace, friends said Hunter felt he needed an escape.

He drove to teammate Billy Gowers’ house for a drink — a clear breach of strict social distancing measures.

On the way there he smashed into four parked cars.

Official AFL gear was reportedly left inside the vehicle.

Sources said Hunter calmly approached multiple residents and exchanged licence details and phone numbers.

Hunter then bumped into teammate Bailey Smith, who was visiting his girlfriend.

The Herald Sun has been told that, in a bizarre coincidence, Hunter pranged a car belonging to Smith’s girlfriend’s parents on Wright St in Middle Park.

Witnesses said Hunter stayed at the crash scene for no longer than five minutes before taking off.

“He was clearly in shock. He knew police were on the way,” said a neighbour.

“He was very pale. He must have panicked and then left.”

Hunter, believing the situation had been taken care of, left the scene.

He asked Smith to drop him off at Gowers’ South Yarra house.

According to sources, Hunter then drank with Gowers, thinking that wouldn’t be a problem.

The police tracked him down later in the evening and he failed a breath test.

He returned an evidentiary breath test of 0.123 – more than twice the legal limit.

Hunter is expected to be charged on summons with drink driving and other traffic matters.

His license was immediately suspended for 12 months and he was also slapped with a $1652 fine for breaching coronavirus restrictions.

Hunter is expected to strongly consider fighting the drink-driving charge, because he believes there isn’t any evidence to suggest he had previously been drinking.

The Western Bulldogs have remained quiet on the incident - eager to gather all the facts before club bosses face the media.

Their task has been complicated by the fact they can’t all simply get in one room together.

Sources said they are also acutely aware that Collingwood pair Alan Didak and Heath Shaw made a fool out of president Eddie McGuire in 2008, because McGuire fronted the press with the wrong information.

Collingwood later suspended Didak and Shaw for the remainder of the 2008 season, including finals, for lying about a drink-drive accident.

A statement from the Western Bulldogs is expected this afternoon.

It is understood ensuring Smith and then Gowers are not implicated is the club’s priority.

Earlier today at the crash scene, an associate of Smith dropped the keys to a damaged Mercedes at the scene before it was towed away.

He would not comment when approached by the Herald Sun.

Smith briefly visited his girlfriend at her family’s Wright St home this afternoon.

He drove a white Toyota Hilux and parked at the back entrance.

He gave a peace sign to the media as he drove away about 1.40pm.

The crashed cars were located directly outside the family home.

Prior to the crash, Hunter posted a screenshot of himself talking with mates on a teleconferencing app.

Jemma Hunter said her brother has struggled to cope during the coronavirus lockdowns.

“I’m sure he is struggling as everyone is, so I can’t imagine how he was feeling,” she told 9News.

“You never want to see that happen to anyone you love, or your brother.”

Speaking to 3AW, AFL CEO Gill McLachlan said Hunter had “clearly made a mistake”.

“Drink-driving is just unacceptable in any aspect,” McLachlan said.

“There is always individual circumstances and mitigation, but clearly drink driving is just unacceptable under any circumstances and the rules around quarantine are very clear as well.

“People make mistakes … he’s clearly made a significant mistake, young men do that.

“He is vice-captain of the club, he’s a leader and he’s clearly made a mistake here.”

When asked if he would be punished McLachlan said “people need to be accountable for their actions there is no doubt about that”

McLachlan confirmed the AFL’s Integrity Unit were investigating the incident.

Western Bulldogs President Peter Gordon told the Herald Sun he would be discussing the incident with Hunter today.

“We are aware of it and will be investigating,” he said.

“I will talk to Lachie in the next few hours and will have more to say then.”

Simon Dixon was watching TV when he heard an almighty crash outside his home.

He rushed out to find his Exopest van and other cars smashed.

“It was an enormous bang,” he said.

“I just saw the carnage of the five cars. They were all like dominoes.”

His wife called triple-0 as he and neighbours rushed over to make sure Hunter was okay.

Hunter asked if police had been called and took off in another car before they arrived, Mr Dixon said.

“He was okay. He wasn’t injured,” said Mr Dixon.

“We were in shock.

“Police were looking for the driver when they came.”

Ben Deville said the crash sounded like loud fireworks in the street.

He rushed from his girlfriend’s home, located next to the crash site, to find Hunter and the carnage.

Mr Deville said he is a big footy fan and seeing the vice-captain at the scene was “pretty crazy”.

“I couldn’t believe it,” he said.

Mr Deville said it was a “really bad accident” but that Hunter seemed calm.

In a statement Western Bulldogs Football club said they were “aware of an incident involving Lachie Hunter on Thursday evening.”

“The club is in the process of investigating the exact circumstances surrounding the incident, and will confirm details when possible.”

A damaged silver Mercedes hatchback GLA250 and white Range Rover were located at the crash scene.

The Mercedes bumper was on the road, scattered with debris and plastic.

The Range Rover had damage to its rear.

bornadog
17-04-2020, 06:11 PM
Funny how people always have their theories before finding out the facts or the other side of the story.

comrade
17-04-2020, 06:15 PM
Plenty of that report above sounds suspect as hell. The truth shall set you free lads.

Dry Rot
17-04-2020, 06:17 PM
Smith shouldn't be out and about under stay at home rules.

So Smith is guilty just visiting his girlfriend.

Josh Bruce is guilty given his Intsagram post on holiday in NSW.

Who else do we hang?

GVGjr
17-04-2020, 06:21 PM
Funny how people always have their theories before finding out the facts or the other side of the story.

How so?

There is nothing surprising in the article above. Most of it was being mentioned before

chef
17-04-2020, 06:21 PM

Who else do we hang?

He and his missus are both from NSW and he has a house there, maybe thats his 'home'.

bornadog
17-04-2020, 06:22 PM
How so?

There is nothing surprising in the article above. Most of it was being mentioned before

Well for starters, was he drinking when he had the crash?

chef
17-04-2020, 06:22 PM

Who else do we hang?

Isn't it Smith is guilty of driving Hunter to Gowers house?

Which is non essential travel.

chef
17-04-2020, 06:23 PM

Hmm, he crashed into 4 cars. I dunno.

bornadog

Who else do we hang?

DR, I am not hanging anyone until I know what happened. I was just stating a fact, and I don't think you are allowed to visit people.

chef
That report does seem dodgy as *!*!*!*!.

bornadog
17-04-2020, 06:25 PM
Hmm, he crashed into 4 cars. I dunno.

People do hit cars if they are not concentrating and they are not necessarily drinking.

BUT: I don't know either.

jeemak
17-04-2020, 06:27 PM
Yeah this sounds extremely suss. MY BS radar is flaring up big time.

Axe Man
17-04-2020, 06:30 PM
DR, I am not hanging anyone until I know what happened. I was just stating a fact, and I don't think you are allowed to visit people.

Smith is quite entitled to visit his girlfriend if she lives there.

Dry Rot
17-04-2020, 06:31 PM
Isn't it Smith is guilty of driving Hunter to Gowers house?

Which is non essential travel.

Yes, and visiting his girlfriend before that if you want to get pedantic.

chef
17-04-2020, 06:32 PM

But not to drive Hunter to Gowers house.

Dry Rot
17-04-2020, 06:33 PM
He and his missus are both from NSW and he has a house there, maybe thats his 'home'.

No it is not under NSW law. His home is in Melbourne.

Similar situation to the NSW Minister who got fined and had to resign.

chef
17-04-2020, 06:33 PM
Yes, and visiting his girlfriend before that if you want to get pedantic.

Nothing wrong with visiting your girlfriend.

It's not being pedantic, taking Hunter to Gowers is none essential travel and against the law. The rest of us are following the rules so these guys should be too.

Dry Rot
17-04-2020, 06:34 PM

Under Victorian law?

chef
17-04-2020, 06:34 PM
No it is not under NSW law. His home is in Melbourne.

Similar situation to the NSW Minister who got fined and had to resign.

What date did they go there?

chef
17-04-2020, 06:35 PM
Under Victorian law?

Yep.

whythelongface
17-04-2020, 06:36 PM

Very suss. It is either being drunk or falling asleep at the wheel or a combination of both. The only other reason is excessive speed.

Don’t want to hang assumptions but.... come on we are not fools. Out with the truth.

As for his reason. Totally understand we all react differently to circumstances but he needs to pay the price for his actions. The fact that he has brought the club and game into disrepute also requires punishment.

Dry Rot
17-04-2020, 06:36 PM

Will be interesting to see if Smith tells the cops that he could not smell alcohol on Hunter, and Gowers says that Hunter drank an appropriate amount of booze to give Hunter the alcohol breath test level.

Maybe Hunter can and should defend the DUI charge.

Dry Rot
17-04-2020, 06:38 PM
Very suss. It is either being drunk or falling asleep at the wheel or a combination of both. The only other reason is excessive speed.

Don’t want to hang assumptions but.... come on we are not fools. Out with the truth.

As for his reason. Totally understand we all react differently to circumstances but he needs to pay the price for his actions. The fact that he has brought the club and game into disrepute also requires punishment.

Hunter will be paying for the repairs to 5 cars if he is done for DUI. That will cost him probably > $30k.

jazzadogs
17-04-2020, 06:38 PM
It has been made very clear that you are allowed to visit partners that do not live with you. Bailey Smith did no wrong by visiting his partners house.

For those piling on him for driving Hunter somewhere because it's against lockdown measures, if one of your good friends came to your front door and said 'hey mate, I've just had a fight with my fiance, I need a lift' you'd presumably just tell them it's not your business and to bugger off?

chef
17-04-2020, 06:41 PM
For those piling on him for driving Hunter somewhere because it's against lockdown measures, if one of your good friends came to your front door and said 'hey mate, I need a lift' you'd presumably just tell them it's not your business and to bugger off?

Yes.

Especially if he had just crashed into 4 parked cars and wanted to take off before the cops came.

Maybe some of us are just taking the non essential travel thing a bit more serious.

hujsh
17-04-2020, 06:43 PM
It does all seem a little too perfect doesn't it?

I was perfectly sober, smashed into 4 cars, took 5 minutest to tell the neighbors and leave details, just happened to see my young co-worker passing by, got a lift to a mate's place and proceeded to get drunk.

jeemak
17-04-2020, 06:51 PM

I was perfectly sober, smashed into 4 cars, took 5 minutest to tell the neighbors and leave details, just happened to see my young co-worker passing by, got a lift to a mate's place and proceeded to get drunk.

If you say it like that I don't see what the problem is. Case closed!

GVGjr
17-04-2020, 07:00 PM

I honestly thought that was very clear to all with the initial reports

GVGjr
17-04-2020, 07:05 PM
Will be interesting to see if Smith tells the cops that he could not smell alcohol on Hunter, and Gowers says that Hunter drank an appropriate amount of booze to give Hunter the alcohol breath test level.

Maybe Hunter can and should defend the DUI charge.

That's not how it works is it? You can only be judged at the time you have taken the test and people involved in accidents are tested
Had he waited then who knows

Based on the tests he will lose his license for 12 months

There might be a lot more to this but of what we know he is incredibly lucky no one was hurt

comrade
17-04-2020, 07:25 PM

If they expect anyone to believe that, well...they're dumb as rocks.

AndrewP6
17-04-2020, 07:28 PM

Who else do we hang?
He is from there, and as of late March, they still had open borders. He could’ve gone straight after our game.

KT31
17-04-2020, 07:28 PM
Hunter will be paying for the repairs to 5 cars if he is done for DUI. That will cost him probably > $30k.

Looking at the cars on the news, I would imagine if you triple your estimate it would be nearer the ball park.

Grantysghost
17-04-2020, 07:31 PM
That's not how it works is it? You can only be judged at the time you have taken the test and people involved in accidents are tested

There might be a lot more to this but of what we know he is incredibly lucky no one was hurt

Legally (and we can say what we want about if it's BS or not, the law doesn't care) if the test is three hours after driving my understanding is there's a possibility for a defence. I don't know much more than that, someone can do the research :)

Sedat
17-04-2020, 07:39 PM
Smith is perfectly allowed to visit his partner - our esteemed leader in Victoria did initially try to remove that basic civil liberty from all of us but quickly changed his tune when the deserved backlash came his way.

Smith driving Hunter to Gowers is not essential travel, which is where Smith let himself down with his poor judgement. It is also against the law as others have alluded to, which he should have known.

bulldogtragic
17-04-2020, 07:40 PM
If anyone believes that, I hope you are on my eventual jury.

Smith should probably get a ticket for 'non essential travel' like thousands of other Victorians. That's just black and white.

Hunter will do his licence, and face other traffic charges as well as NET. And cost a bit when insurance won't cover the damages. That to me is black and white.

The only live issue is what the club do about it? Are we the type of club that looks away when leaders break various laws, or are we a club that sees our response to this as a serious culture issue?

bulldogtragic
17-04-2020, 07:47 PM
Legally (and we can say what we want about if it's BS or not, the law doesn't care) if the test is three hours after driving my understanding is there's a possibility for a defence. I don't know much more than that, someone can do the research :)

No. This has been tried and lost at court a lot, but they could try. They can try it out as a defence, they're smarter to plead guilty and run a sob story from an otherwise impeccable person.

Eg. A drunk man runs down a family of three, all dead. He flees the scene. Then argues hours later, "I was sober, drove home to ring the police but had a quick drink of a 5th of Vodka to calm myself down and wouldn't you know it, you police just turned up as I was dialling. So I might be over the limit now, but I was sober then. It's not culpable driving."

Yeh, nah. It's equally plausible he didn't continue to drink and his alcohol reading is vastly lower than at the time of the accident. He knew he had a vehicle accident should've stayed to give an accurate breath sample.

jeemak
17-04-2020, 07:47 PM
If anyone believes that, I hope you are on my eventual jury.

Are you planning on becoming that relative the family doesn't speak of anymore, mate?

bulldogtragic
17-04-2020, 07:57 PM
Are you planning on becoming that relative the family doesn't speak of anymore, mate?

No plans just yet, but I like to have life options. :D

AndrewP6
17-04-2020, 08:10 PM
Tyson Stengle of Adelaide has been charged, after blowing .125 and driving an unregistered vehicle. That’ll give people something else to talk about (and journo Tom Browne a second chance at composing a Tweet that isn’t ridiculous)

Ozza
17-04-2020, 08:32 PM

Josh Bruce and his girlfriend went up to NSW before the shutdown. This spoken about openly over a month ago by Josh either on the bulldogs website or SEN or something like that. But I saw him talk about it - and it is completely fine that he went there before lockdown and has stayed there.

Rocket Science
17-04-2020, 09:26 PM
A bit more info. I think this shows we should wait until everything comes out before we send him to the gallows.

Inside Western Bulldogs’ Lachie Hunter’s dramatic hours before alleged booze-fuelled crash (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-player-allegedly-caught-drink-driving/news-story/172db56fbd160bf1659cc90b6aa9d5c6)

Jemma Hunter said her brother has struggled to cope during the coronavirus lockdowns.

“I’m sure he is struggling as everyone is, so I can’t imagine how he was feeling,” she told 9News.

“You never want to see that happen to anyone you love, or your brother.”

Ouch.

Looking at the cars on the news, I would imagine if you triple your estimate it would be nearer the ball park.

Poor Lachie went joyriding on the wrong side of The Bridge.

bulldogtragic
17-04-2020, 09:36 PM
Thinking about it more broadly, I wonder if there's a cost already for the club, beyond culture.

I assume the club message about memberships might be an 'ask' of members to sacrifice this year's dues because of Coronavirus. Some members (most on here) will go 'yes' if our households can cover it. While others might look at the fact that we might need to sacrifice our dues for the club, while our Vice Captain couldn't sacrifice one night of badly drink driving into 4 cars while also breaching Coronavirus restrictions and making a kid, Bailey Smith, be an accessory after the fact. Who I'd give a suspended $5,000 fine to. I have no doubt he'd trigger it ever again. Other players might think twice if it happened again.

It's a horrible story to get around and the message is hard to get around as the club will sell us the need to sacrifice for the betterment of the club. I'm not for sacking him. I'm for the maximum fine allowable. I'm for him having to make a public Mea culpa and taking to Sons of The West programs assuming they continue. I'm for stripping the Vice Captaincy and leadership group spot. I'm for putting in a fan favourite and strong leader in behind Bonts. Bonts worst ever game in Round 1 as new Captain with this before Round 2 isn't good. Maybe Macrae, Crozier or Wallis. Say Macrae for argument sake. We need to do it before the tot sets in.

Then we can turn the strategic messaging to members maybe thinking 'Hunter didn't sacrifice for club, why should I?', into, (Macrae saying) 'Lachie made a mistake and he's paid for it and I don't want to talk about that it. He's a good man and clubman who made a mistake. I'm really excited that I have now a chance to stand with Bonts as Captain and Vice Captain and stand up when the Western Bulldogs players and club needed me to. It's a true honour to stand up for this great club and I hope every member or potential member in these tough times stands up with me to keep our club strong.' New photo of both men in the jumpers sent to email database and members for the rest of the year.

But we need to spin it soon.

Edit: Maybe a kick in the backside might focus Lachie into raising his game to the next level. Not all bad for him.

Sedat
17-04-2020, 09:45 PM
I don't mind the club taking their time and getting absolutely all the information before making a final statement and judgement on penalties. Eddie went off half-cocked in the Heath Shaw-Alan Didak incident, which then blew up in his face when the full story came out.

Dry Rot
17-04-2020, 10:04 PM
Josh Bruce and his girlfriend went up to NSW before the shutdown. This spoken about openly over a month ago by Josh either on the bulldogs website or SEN or something like that. But I saw him talk about it - and it is completely fine that he went there before lockdown and has stayed there.

Then I hope he has changed his licence, car rego and electoral registration to the NSW location.

Or he is lucky avoiding the NSW cops. Legislation here - does not matter if you arrived in our rum colony beforehand.

https://gazette.legislation.nsw.gov.au/so/download.w3p?id=Gazette_2020_2020-65.pdf

BTW, just for the record, I don't give a stuff where Bruce is

jeemak
17-04-2020, 10:10 PM
BT, I actually think this is the time more people are likely to sympathise with his stupidity. At the moment you're either in work and the dial his been turned up because people don't know if things are going to suddenly stop so they get you to go batshit crazy every day in terms of effort. Or, you're out of work and you are going batshit crazy and don't know what the future holds.

in this sort of climate people are really forgiving of others, those perceived as more privileged are also out of a job and not able to do what they love doing. It's a leveler.

It's literally perfect timing for this level of buffoonery.

comrade
17-04-2020, 10:41 PM

Yeah, the only people that are really wringing their hands about this are Bulldogs people.

comrade
17-04-2020, 10:42 PM

The average punter is likely thinking along the lines of 'bit of a dickhead, but isolife YOLO'.

jeemak
17-04-2020, 10:52 PM
The average punter is likely thinking along the lines of 'bit of a dickhead, but isolife YOLO'.

Or not isolating and "I'm a dickhead, YODO"!

GVGjr
17-04-2020, 11:18 PM
Words still fail me with how silly Hunter has been but I'd be confident the club will stand by him and he will cop his whack on the chin.
I suspect the sanctions will be firm but fair but he does need all of our support

Like all footballers he's probably already taken a fair pay cut
He will be up for 50K plus to get the cars repaired and he will cop the fines and lose his license for 12 months not to mention whatever the club imposes on him

It's a harsh reminder about drink driving and hopefully as comrade mentioned early in the day there is something for him and his team mates to learn from.

The upshot is that no one has been hurt.
I doubt anyone is cutting him too much slack but I do hope the club rallies around him and provides the support he probably needs.
He would be doing it as tough as anyone at the moment.

Not a great day for the club or player but we should stand by him

Jeanette54
18-04-2020, 12:12 AM

I totally agree.

soupman
18-04-2020, 12:38 AM
Pretty poor from Hunter.

Obviously all speculation due to lack of complete facts, but I assume the logical way to proceed is as follows.

Hunter gets a big fine, loses captaincy and maybe some community program. Can't sack him, we are a club that loves to make the players like a family and I can't think of any quicker way to piss off the playing group than over punishing a popular player who has handled a fight with his fiance badly. We have to be stern and send a message that regardless of the reasons it's not ok but at the same time the club needs to be sympathetic and make sure that he remains part of the family. I suspect he is a more respected and liked person in the playing group than us supporters think, and regardless making a bad decision that already has very expensive and humiliating outcomes is enough without the club making it worse by casting him out.

Bailey Smith on the face of it was probably just trying to help him out and from all reports is hardly someone who would deliberately hide Lachie from the law. Maybe a small fine but otherwise leave him be. Billy Gowers is probably the same. If it becomes clear either encouraged the circumstances to unfold as they did sure hit them harder but there is a good chance they were both trying to help an upset mate in an hour of need. Don't punish them to harshly for that.

Gather the facts, do the above (unless anything else comes to light obviously) then move on. It will be forgotten by nearly everybody in a week.

Dry Rot
18-04-2020, 01:04 AM
Bit of perspective.

What happened to Hunter was not flash, but I would prefer that to this happening to the Bont or Naughton

Another knee setback makes Charlie Curnow an unlikely starter in 2020

Promising Carlton forward Charlie Curnow is unlikely to play in 2020 after suffering another setback in his recovery from a knee injury with scans revealing a hairline stress response in the bone.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/another-knee-setback-makes-charlie-curnow-an-unlikely-starter-in-2020-20200417-p54kys.html

westdog54
18-04-2020, 01:08 AM

The 12 months will just be for the .05 offence. He'll likely be charged with careless driving as well.

If he's spoken to all of the owners of the vehicles and provided a name and address at the time, and no one is injured, he's complied with his obligations under the Road Safety Act.

You're right.

Police have the power to demand a Preliminary Breath Test from anyone they reasonably suspect was the driver of a motor vehicle involved in a Collison.

If that's positive, an evidentiary breath test must be performed within that same three hours at a police station/booze bus/testing vehicle.

Put simply, Police would not have performed the evidentiary test of they were outside 3 hours, because they have no legal power to do so.

Because he's blown over .1, his licence is immediately suspended for 12 months under the RSA, until he goes to court. From there there's a mandatory sliding scale the court needs to apply of he's found guilty. The magistrate has no discretion to go lower. He's getting a lift to training for at least a year.

I doubt he'll have to worry about leadership group meetings for a while.

Bumper Bulldogs
18-04-2020, 09:31 AM
One of the guys at work said that Smith was innocent and just at the GF house. Apparently heard the crash came out, saw Hunter, he was the one that organised Hunters details to everyone and did get asked to take Hunter to Gowers. On the way he called our player welfare life line and the advise was turn the phone off, start drinking and we’ll get a Gordon to sort it out.

I really hope this is not true. Couldn’t imagine Peter being involved in a cover up.

The Pie Man
18-04-2020, 12:06 PM
Then I hope he has changed his licence, car rego and electoral registration to the NSW location.

Or he is lucky avoiding the NSW cops. Legislation here - does not matter if you arrived in our rum colony beforehand.

https://gazette.legislation.nsw.gov.au/so/download.w3p?id=Gazette_2020_2020-65.pdf

BTW, just for the record, I don't give a stuff where Bruce is

Did he maybe need to self isolate for 2 weeks on arrival?

comrade
18-04-2020, 12:24 PM
One of the guys at work said that Smith was innocent and just at the GF house. Apparently heard the crash came out, saw Hunter, he was the one that organised Hunters details to everyone and did get asked to take Hunter to Gowers. On the way he called our player welfare life line and the advise was turn the phone off, start drinking and we’ll get a Gordon to sort it out.

I really hope this is not true. Couldn’t imagine Peter being involved in a cover up.

That sounds ridiculous, too.

Twodogs
18-04-2020, 01:33 PM
Words still fail me with how silly Hunter has been but I'd be confident the club will stand by him and he will cop his whack on the chin.
I suspect the sanctions will be firm but fair but he does need all of our support

Like all footballers he's probably already taken a fair pay cut
He will be up for 50K plus to get the cars repaired and he will cop the fines and lose his license for 12 months not to mention whatever the club imposes on him

It's a harsh reminder about drink driving and hopefully as comrade mentioned early in the day there is something for him and his team mates to learn from.

The upshot is that no one has been hurt.
I doubt anyone is cutting him too much slack but I do hope the club rallies around him and provides the support he probably needs.
He would be doing it as tough as anyone at the moment.

I've never been this angry with one of ours. You know me-I will always happily defend the indefensible but not this time.

The 12 months will just be for the .05 offence. He'll likely be charged with careless driving as well.

If he's spoken to all of the owners of the vehicles and provided a name and address at the time, and no one is injured, he's complied with his obligations under the Road Safety Act.

You're right.

Police have the power to demand a Preliminary Breath Test from anyone they reasonably suspect was the driver of a motor vehicle involved in a Collison.

If that's positive, an evidentiary breath test must be performed within that same three hours at a police station/booze bus/testing vehicle.

Put simply, Police would not have performed the evidentiary test of they were outside 3 hours, because they have no legal power to do so.

Because he's blown over .1, his licence is immediately suspended for 12 months under the RSA, until he goes to court. From there there's a mandatory sliding scale the court needs to apply of he's found guilty. The magistrate has no discretion to go lower. He's getting a lift to training for at least a year.

Any chance Lachie will be locked up? (no pun intended)

Leaving the scene of an accident carries a (non mandatory) 14 day jail sentence. Would it come down to your conduct afterwards? If you make a *!*!*!*! of yourself at the scene then it's an extra the cops can charge you with?

Say I hit a car and you turn up and say "WTF have you done here?" and I reply with a barrage of abuse then do I go face down on the bonnet of the car with my hands cuffed behind my back? whereas if I had been reasonable in the first place...

bornadog
18-04-2020, 02:17 PM
You're right.

I still don't get the breath test. How can it be proven he was driving under the influence, if he was tested probably an hour later and not behind the wheel. ( PS: not just talking just Hunter, but anyone)

Grantysghost
18-04-2020, 02:43 PM
I still don't get the breath test. How can it be proven he was driving under the influence, if he was tested probably an hour later and not behind the wheel. ( PS: not just talking just Hunter, but anyone)

I tried to make sense of this last night. I think I have my head around it but more learned woofers may able to translate the legalese better than I.

https://www.trafficlawyermelbourne.com.au/drink-driving/within-3-hours-drive-vehicle-over-prescribed-content-alcohol-breath-491f/ Road Safety Act 49(1)f which is here https://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/in-force/acts/road-safety-act-1986/201

bornadog
18-04-2020, 02:59 PM
I tried to make sense of this last night. I think I have my head around it but more learned woofers may able to translate the legalese better than I.

https://www.trafficlawyermelbourne.com.au/drink-driving/within-3-hours-drive-vehicle-over-prescribed-content-alcohol-breath-491f/ Road Safety Act 49(1)f which is here https://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/in-force/acts/road-safety-act-1986/201

Lets say I am invited to a dinner party, drink a whole lot of wine, then decide to Uber home and some how I am breath tested within 3 hours am I then guilty?

If Lachie is guilty in this instance, he should say so and take it on the chin.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-04-2020, 03:16 PM
I can't see how Bailey Smith did much wrong legally or morally. Sorry I haven't read all posts, I am squeemish when it comes to negative opinions. I assume Lachie did nothing legally wrong in leaving the scene as noone was injured and he accepted responsibility by leaving his details, possibly at the suggestion of Bailey, his angel of mercy. How incredibly synchronistic is it that one of the cars was randomly 'related' to Bailey and he was there? That the teenager then helped sort things although he is not a friend of Lachie's, contacting the club and driving Lachie to his friend's given Lachie had conflict at home is faultless.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-04-2020, 03:28 PM
Shades of Tiger Woods and me with Hunter. The only time I was over the limit was when I was at home drinking, my ex came home in a protractedly foul mood and I had to get out, random breath test, cursedly just over, 0.6.
Lachie however must have been blotto or heavily distracted to side swipe several cars and as such was very dangerous.

ledge
18-04-2020, 03:59 PM
Sorry but I’ve had an accident , left details and then gone home, no police involved.. is that illegal now ?
Do you have to stay at the accident and how bad does the accident have to be ?
Who called the police and got them involved ?
I’m confused.
At what stage are the police to be involved ?

Twodogs
18-04-2020, 06:45 PM
Sorry but I’ve had an accident , left details and then gone home, no police involved.. is that illegal now ?
Do you have to stay at the accident and how bad does the accident have to be ?
Who called the police and got them involved ?
I’m confused.
At what stage are the police to be involved ?

It was the partner of the owner of one of the vehicles he crashed into who called the cops. I think it was the owner of a food van that said he was visiting his girlfriend who lived in the units and it was the girlfriend of the van owner who rang the cops.

GVGjr
18-04-2020, 07:05 PM
According to the CH7 news, Smith has received the fine of $1652 and Gowers has received a warning

It seems like the club is still investigating this and I think that is a sensible approach. We will hear from them when they have all the facts

bulldogtragic
18-04-2020, 07:13 PM
According to the CH7 news, Smith has received the fine of $1652 and Gowers has received a warning

It seems like the club is still investigating this and I think that is a sensible approach. We will hear from them when they have all the facts

Seems the logical outcome. Although Lachie better cough up the $1,652 to Bailey.

GVGjr
18-04-2020, 07:23 PM
Shades of Tiger Woods and me with Hunter. The only time I was over the limit was when I was at home drinking, my ex came home in a protractedly foul mood and I had to get out, random breath test, cursedly just over, 0.6.
Lachie however must have been blotto or heavily distracted to side swipe several cars and as such was very dangerous.

BIDS, There could be a combination of factors here not just being alcohol impaired and I wouldn't rule out being distracted as a contributing factor.

In this very unique time confronting all of us I just hope that given what he has experienced he has the support of his family, friends and the club because he will need it.

Cars can be repaired, fines can be paid and any sanctions imposed served but I suspect he is doing it very tough at the moment.
It's a hell of a lesson to learn but as I have said a few times at least no one has been injured.

ledge
18-04-2020, 07:25 PM

What did Gowers actually do wrong ?

GVGjr
18-04-2020, 07:28 PM
Seems the logical outcome. Although Lachie better cough up the $1,652 to Bailey.

BT, I get the sentiment behind that but I can put my hand on my heart here and say at the same age as Smith I wouldn't have driven Hunter away given the carnage. There is a lesson for Smith to learn and I hope he owns it.

Twodogs
18-04-2020, 07:36 PM

Had someone in his house. You just can't do that ATM.

If I came around and knocked on your door and said "Ledgey baby, let's get on the stubbies" You would have to tell me to *!*!*!*! off and go straight home.

Eastdog
18-04-2020, 07:40 PM

If I came around and knocked on your door and said "Ledgey baby, let's get on the stubbies" You would have to tell me to *!*!*!*! off and go straight home.

Yes that is right. You can still visit your partner if they live at another house but visiting relatives or friends you can’t do.

GVGjr
18-04-2020, 07:55 PM

I'm really surprised anyone would ask that question, in my understanding there is no grey area on visitors to your house particularly work colleagues or friends.

Twodogs
18-04-2020, 08:09 PM
BT, I get the sentiment behind that but I can put my hand on my heart here and say at the same age as Smith I wouldn't have driven Hunter away given the carnage. There is a lesson for Smith to learn and I hope he owns it.

My judgement is if you *!*!*!*! up and cause problems that impact on somebody else then you should pay for their fines. If it weren't Lachy Hunter that smashed into Bailey's GF's car then Bailey wouldn't have been involved at all. He should'nt have to pay for Hunter's *!*!*!*! up, he just did what he thought was the right thing and from where I sit Lachy Hunter owes Bailey Smith $1652 and a huge "sorry that I got you involved mate and thanks for extracting my arse-you are an absolute champ "

GVGjr
18-04-2020, 08:36 PM
My judgement is if you *!*!*!*! up and cause problems that impact on somebody else then you should pay for their fines. If it weren't Lachy Hunter that smashed into Bailey's GF's car then Bailey wouldn't have been involved at all. He should'nt have to pay for Hunter's *!*!*!*! up, he just did what he thought was the right thing and from where I sit Lachy Hunter owes Bailey Smith $1652 and a huge "sorry that I got you involved mate and thanks for extracting my arse-you are an absolute champ "

I don't have a problem if Hunter pays the fine but I still maintain there is a lesson for Smith to learn

Twodogs
18-04-2020, 09:06 PM
I don't have a problem if Hunter pays the fine but I still maintain there is a lesson for Smith to learn

Yep I can't disgree with that.

GVGjr
18-04-2020, 11:27 PM
Some differing views on how the club should deal with Hunter

Western Bulldogs great Doug Hawkins says Lachie Hunter should retain the vice-captaincy and has called for Hunter’s peers to be spared the uncomfortable task of sanctioning one of their mates.

New captain Marcus Bontempelli, 24, is expected to have a strong say in Hunter’s punishment although Hawkins said the responsibility should sit squarely with football boss Chris Grant, president Peter Gordon and new board member Luke Darcy.

Former vice-captain Jordan Roughead, who is now at Collingwood, has vowed to never sit in judgement of a teammate again after his time at Whitten Oval.

Hunter, 25, has not been charged by Victoria Police for drink-driving.

The club said on Saturday its investigation would likely take several days to complete because of the complexities.

Hunter crashed into four parked cars on Thursday and then failed a breath test later in the night when police found him drinking with Billy Gowers.

Hunter was also fined $1652 for breaching social distancing rules, and police slapped teenager Bailey Smith with the same fine for driving Hunter from Middle Park to Gowers’ house in South Yarra.

Gowers escaped with a warning from police. All three players are being spoken to by the Bulldogs.

Hawthorn legend Dermott Brereton said the Dogs should immediately strip Hunter of the vice-captaincy.

“You have to be seen to your sponsors to show that socially in these circumstances you are doing the hard thing and he shouldn’t stand above society and the law,” Brereton said.

But Hawkins – who doubts the merit of all leadership groups – argued it was important for teammates to stick together.

Hawkins called for a lengthy suspension and a fine instead.

“It was a silly decision to drive. No one was injured or killed. I would fine him and (suspend) him for 4-6 games,” Hawkins said.

“Let Peter Gordon, Chris Grant, Luke Darcy and co make that decision, take it away from the leadership group.

“Call it old school, but there’s no way I would burn a teammate.”

bornadog
18-04-2020, 11:50 PM
Smith being charged is just rubbish - yes there are social distancing rules, but there is also common sense.

Maybe the Police need to practise what they preach, eg Last week 15 of them at the corner of Collins and Elizabeth street, all huddled together shoulder to shoulder, practising traffic control.

BornInDroopSt'54
19-04-2020, 12:18 AM
Smith being charged is just rubbish - yes there are social distancing rules, but there is also common sense.

Maybe the Police need to practise what they preach, eg Last week 15 of them at the corner of Collins and Elizabeth street, all huddled together shoulder to shoulder, practising traffic control.

Absolutely, a colleague has just been involved in a car accident out the front of where you are and you drive him to safety and you are fined because you might give each other a virus! F off.

jazzadogs
19-04-2020, 12:32 AM

Now imagine it's your best mate, he's just broken up with his girlfriend, can't go home and is clearly emotionally unstable. "Nah bugger off, I can't help ya".

I understand the reasons for social distancing, I'm a health professional and I'm practicing it every day. But to ignore common sense and common decency is a dangerous path for society to start walking down.

GVGjr
19-04-2020, 03:37 AM
Now imagine it's your best mate, he's just broken up with his girlfriend, can't go home and is clearly emotionally unstable. "Nah bugger off, I can't help ya".

I understand the reasons for social distancing, I'm a health professional and I'm practicing it every day. But to ignore common sense and common decency is a dangerous path for society to start walking down.

That's why he received a warning. Did he call a health care professional at the club or did he back his ability to supply drinks as the cure all?

GVGjr
19-04-2020, 03:45 AM

Can you explain the common sense in assisting someone leave an accident when 5 cars have been damaged and taking him to another team mates place?

By the way, it's easy to knit pick the job the police are doing but in this instance Hunter was right to be charged and Smith can always appeal the fine

GVGjr
19-04-2020, 03:48 AM
Western Bulldogs great Doug Hawkins says Lachie Hunter should retain the vice-captaincy and has called for Hunter’s peers to be spared the uncomfortable task of sanctioning one of their mates.

New captain Marcus Bontempelli, 24, is expected to have a strong say in Hunter’s punishment although Hawkins said the responsibility should sit squarely with football boss Chris Grant, president Peter Gordon and new board member Luke Darcy.

Former vice-captain Jordan Roughead, who is now at Collingwood, has vowed to never sit in judgement of a teammate again after his time at Whitten Oval.

Hunter, 25, has not been charged by Victoria Police for drink-driving.

The club said on Saturday its investigation would likely take several days to complete because of the complexities.

Hunter crashed into four parked cars on Thursday and then failed a breath test later in the night when police found him drinking with Billy Gowers.

Hunter was also fined $1652 for breaching social distancing rules, and police slapped teenager Bailey Smith with the same fine for driving Hunter from Middle Park to Gowers’ house in South Yarra.

Gowers escaped with a warning from police. All three players are being spoken to by the Bulldogs.

Hawthorn legend Dermott Brereton said the Dogs should immediately strip Hunter of the vice-captaincy.

“You have to be seen to your sponsors to show that socially in these circumstances you are doing the hard thing and he shouldn’t stand above society and the law,” Brereton said.

But Hawkins – who doubts the merit of all leadership groups – argued it was important for teammates to stick together.

Hawkins called for a lengthy suspension and a fine instead.

“It was a silly decision to drive. No one was injured or killed. I would fine him and (suspend) him for 4-6 games,” Hawkins said.

“Let Peter Gordon, Chris Grant, Luke Darcy and co make that decision, take it away from the leadership group.

“Call it old school, but there’s no way I would burn a teammate.”

As great as a player Hawkins was, he was never a good role model or someone I rated as professional
I'd be surprised if Hunter maintained the vice captaincy and leadership role once the club completes the investigation.

GVGjr
19-04-2020, 03:54 AM
From the Age

Police have fined Western Bulldogs' youngster Bailey Smith for breaching the stay at home restrictions in place to stop the spread of the coronavirus and given his teammate Billy Gowers a warning as the club continues to gather details surrounding Lachie Hunter's car accident on Thursday evening.

In a statement on Saturday, Victoria Police confirmed that "a 23-year-old South Yarra man has been given a warning" and "a 19-year-old Malvern East man has been served by post with a fine for breaching the directions issued by the Chief Health Officer". The fine for breaching COVID-19 restrictions is $1652.

The Bulldogs were taking a methodical approach to their investigation of the incident, liaising with the AFL's integrity unit, and were not expecting to arrive at a conclusion on Saturday as they continued to discuss the situation internally.

The club is hoping to determine sanctions soon after the conclusion of their investigation, with the board – which now includes former ruckman Luke Darcy as a football director – needing to ratify their decision.

The AFL – which takes a dim view of drink-driving – would also need to accept the penalty as sufficient.

On Friday sources close to Hunter claimed that Smith and Gowers' involvement in the incident was innocent, with Smith becoming involved because at least one of the parked cars Hunter allegedly hit belonged to the parents of the 19-year-old's girlfriend.

Smith is supposed to have driven Hunter to Gowers' place in South Yarra. Police who attended the accident in Middle Park later arrived at Gowers' place and conducted a preliminary and evidentiary breath test on the Bulldogs' vice-captain.

Police said in a statement the 25-year-old reigning best and fairest winner and Bulldogs premiership player recorded a blood alcohol reading of 0.123. Hunter is expected to be charged on summons.

azabob
19-04-2020, 08:39 AM
As great as a player Hawkins was, he was never a good role model or someone I rated as professional
I'd be surprised if Hunter maintained the vice captaincy and leadership role once the club completes the investigation.

I do agree with Hawkins that the players should not be responsible for determining the punishment or having input.

GVGjr do you think the players should sit in judgement on Hunter and co?

GVGjr
19-04-2020, 09:07 AM
I do agree with Hawkins that the players should not be responsible for determining the punishment or having input.

GVGjr do you think the players should sit in judgement on Hunter and co?

I don't think it's a great concept and it breaks down further when it appears it's the players who select the members of the leadership group
It might work okay for some minor infractions like being late for training sessions or some minor behavioral issues but overall I don't think many players are equipped to judge and sentence others in their group.

I'd include the leadership group in the decision with Hunter for their input but I don't think they should have much say in it.

Grantysghost
19-04-2020, 10:01 AM
Police said in a statement the 25-year-old reigning best and fairest winner and Bulldogs premiership player recorded a blood alcohol reading of 0.123. Hunter is expected to be charged on summons.[/I]

Close it was 2018 he won but nothing like a bit of extra mayo !

comrade
19-04-2020, 10:29 AM
The AFL website has already moved on from the Hunter crash, no mention of it anywhere on their front page.

The Herald Sun website has a few mentions of it on the front page, but no doubt these will continue to slide down the priority list as they clamour for more Magpies/Bombers related news.

bornadog
19-04-2020, 10:41 AM
Can you explain the common sense in assisting someone leave an accident when 5 cars have been damaged and taking him to another team mates place?

I thought Jazzadog summed it up well.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2020, 11:28 AM

That's intellectually redundant. By that measure we should stand down all firefighters because in the case of fires, they'll be multiple of them together. Or maybe hospitals too. But police recruits undertaking essential training... Maybe they should stop all cars and vans working and shutting down stations. Homicide Squad? They work in teams of 8-10. Shut them too.

I'm not police anymore, but that's really, really poor to read from someone's whose posts I usually enjoy reading.

GVGjr
19-04-2020, 11:48 AM
I thought Jazzadog summed it up well.

Is that really your response?

You made a comment about Smith immediately after an article I posted and made a reference saying
"Smith being charged is just rubbish - yes there are social distancing rules, but there is also common sense"

When I asked you to explain the common sense of Smith driving Hunter away from an accident involving 5 cars being damaged and to a team mates place you referenced a point of view expressed well by Jazzadog about Gowers letting Hunter into his house as your response
Lets at least be consistent because they're very different with one being a fine and one a warning. That highlights to me the police are applying common sense.

Challenging just about every rule the AFL implement is one thing but to now be questioning the job the police are doing on social distancing rules particularly in this discussion doesn't seem right to me.

For whatever reason Smith broke the rules we are all asked to follow and if he feels hard done by or there is more to it then he should simply appeal the fine and explain his thought process. The other option for him is to cop the decision and learn from it.

Sedat
19-04-2020, 12:38 PM
The AFL website has already moved on from the Hunter crash, no mention of it anywhere on their front page.

The Herald Sun website has a few mentions of it on the front page, but no doubt these will continue to slide down the priority list as they clamour for more Magpies/Bombers related news.
If Hunter is yesterday's news, Stengle never even made the news. Very crafty by the Crows to 1) conceal his drink driving an unregistered car incident for over a week, and 2) deciding to make it public and take out the trash only at the height of the Hunter story

hujsh
19-04-2020, 12:41 PM
What judgement is Roughead referring to from his time with us?

bornadog
19-04-2020, 02:32 PM
That's intellectually redundant. By that measure we should stand down all firefighters because in the case of fires, they'll be multiple of them together. Or maybe hospitals too. But police recruits undertaking essential training... Maybe they should stop all cars and vans working and shutting down stations. Homicide Squad? They work in teams of 8-10. Shut them too.

I'm not police anymore, but that's really, really poor to read from someone's whose posts I usually enjoy reading.

Sorry you think it is poor, but social distancing is social distancing. Surely training needs to be reassessed. Having 15 Police officers huddled together is not social distancing, and not a good look for the public. If you think I am making this up, I can send you a photo my wife took, much to the sergeants annoyance.

Yesterday I saw 5 Police walking together, shoulder to shoulder along the Yarra, where literally there was no one around. I think they need to set the standard for everyone and not make up things by dishing out fines for nothing. eg Guy washing his car at 1am, girl having driving lesson with her mother. Technically Smith is not social distancing, but there is common sense in helping someone in need after a car accident. Whether Hunter was drunk or not he would be shaken after hitting cars. What do you do leave him in the street. That is what I mean by common sense.

GVGjr
19-04-2020, 02:50 PM
From the Hun (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/western-bulldogs-vicecaptain-lachie-hunter-set-to-be-suspended-and-booted-from-leadership-group/news-story/e8e48f7f31ced9c6764ba4a5691eb830)

Western Bulldogs vice-captain Lachie Hunter is expected to be suspended, fined and possibly booted from the club’s leadership group after a costly night out that has implicated two of his teammates.

Bulldog bosses will today continue their investigation into Hunter’s wild Thursday, where he crashed into four parked cars and then asked teenager Bailey Smith for a ride to Billy Gowers’ place to continue drinking.

Hunter, 25, left home emotional after an argument with his fiancee and was breathalysed only when police found him with Gowers.

He has been hit with a $1652 penalty notice for breaching social distancing rules and will be sent the insurance bills for the damaged vehicles.

A series of phone calls and WhatsApp group chats by top Bulldogs attempted to verify what happened.

With the AFL integrity unit and police involved it was decided they needed more time.

“The incident was discussed at the Bulldogs’ scheduled board meeting today, and the club is taking the matter very seriously,” the club said in a statement.

The Bulldogs want to complete a thorough investigation so they don’t replicate Collingwood president Eddie McGuire’s mistake in 2008.

McGuire publicly defended Alan Didak, only for it to emerge that he had been lied to and Didak was in Heath Shaw’s passenger seat when the intoxicated driver damaged three cars.

Bulldogs football director Chris Grant, coach Luke Beveridge and the rest of the leadership group will decide the punishments, which will then be ratified by the board.

It shapes as a baptism of fire for new captain Marcus Bontempelli, 24, who has been in charge for just one game.

Premiership Bulldog Jordan Roughead said this month that sitting in judgment of peers while vice-captain at Whitten Oval was uncomfortable.

“I was asked to tell one of the players what their punishment was going to be for an indiscretion,” Roughead, who is now at Collingwood, said.

“It didn’t really sit well with me.”

Hawthorn did not suspend Luke Hodge for a drink-driving offence in 2015 and he captained the club to a premiership only weeks later.

Hunter’s camp is likely to argue his suspension should fall in line with this year’s reduced home-and-away season.

For example, a four-game ban in a 17-round season is equal to a five-game ban in a 22-round season.

Hunter, a best-and-fairest winner and premiership star, is under contract until 2024.

It is understood Hunter would consider fighting any drink-driving charges, given his blood alcohol reading of 0.123 was largely attributed to drinking at Gowers’ South Yarra home after the crash.

Hunter exchanged licence details and phone numbers with residents on Wright St in Middle Park before hopping into Smith’s car. Last night it was understood that Smith was present only because Hunter had damaged a car belonging to his girlfriend’s family in a bizarre coincidence.

A bottle of pinot rose was left in Hunter’s passenger seat when he abandoned his SUV, which was later towed.

Hunter has played 103 out of the club’s past 104 games.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2020, 03:17 PM
Sorry you think it is poor, but social distancing is social distancing. Surely training needs to be reassessed. Having 15 Police officers huddled together is not social distancing, and not a good look for the public. If you think I am making this up, I can send you a photo my wife took, much to the sergeants annoyance.

Yesterday I saw 5 Police walking together, shoulder to shoulder along the Yarra, where literally there was no one around. I think they need to set the standard for everyone and not make up things by dishing out fines for nothing. eg Guy washing his car at 1am, girl having driving lesson with her mother. Technically Smith is not social distancing, but there is common sense in helping someone in need after a car accident. Whether Hunter was drunk or not he would be shaken after hitting cars. What do you do leave him in the street. That is what I mean by common sense.

Again, it’s intellectually dishonest point. Police and firefighters work as teams. Taking photos of hard working police members going about their tasks in challenging times... I don’t want to see them. I’m shocked and speechless our police suffered that indignity.

bornadog
19-04-2020, 03:22 PM
Again, it’s intellectually dishonest point. Police and firefighters work as teams. Taking photos of hard working police members going about their tasks in challenging times... I don’t want to see them. I’m shocked and speechless our police suffered that indignity.

All I am saying is they need to set the standard, its my opinion, and I am offended by your remarks to me.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2020, 03:28 PM
All I am saying is they need to set the standard, its my opinion, and I am offended by your remarks to me.

What’s your issue? That I don’t like police members being photographed doing their job? And that it demonstrates a lack of dignity or respect.

bornadog
19-04-2020, 03:32 PM
What’s your issue? That I don’t like police members being photographed doing their job? And that it demonstrates a lack of dignity or respect.

I will make no further comment in this thread till the club comes back with their findings, so lets leave it there please.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2020, 03:39 PM
I will make no further comment in this thread till the club comes back with their findings, so lets leave it there please.

Fine. I’m not sure why the club will comment on taking unauthorized photos of police doing their jobs, and if it’s disrespectful. Let’s what on PG.

jeemak
19-04-2020, 03:58 PM
Actually asking whether social distancing rules apply to police walking the beat or conducting training exercises in public or in the work place isn't that unreasonable, given they're responsible for issuing fines to people who they deem to be breaking the rules. At a time when public confidence or sentiment towards this particular element of how they operate is low having an answer readily available wouldn't hurt.

Though given they're able to sit side by side in patrol cars you'd probably be able to assume they're exempt from the strict social distancing everyone else is.

Not sure what's wrong with taking images of police. If it's not interfering with their duty it's perfectly legal, whether it's disrespectful or undignified is pretty subjective.

Anyway, back to the situation at hand...….I just want the investigation to be done with and outcomes announced. The longer it goes on from here the more it will seem a contrived result.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2020, 04:21 PM
What’s the doubt? They’re emergency services, thus, essential workers. They’re even door knocking quarantine households, placing themselves at risk.

When it’s ok to invade the privacy to invade the lives of law abiding citizens, the right to privacy itself for all others gets weakened. Lawful and wrong are different concepts.

A vast many want to beat up on police, right until they ring 000 (not saying anyone here). Me, I will defend every law abiding police member to my last breath. Including their right to go to work (in shithouse circumstances), uphold the right and not have their photos taken without permission. For many, the last 12 months have been violence, dead bodies, bushfires and coronavirus. Their thanks is turning up to work to be photographed without their consent, and privacy invaded/breached.

It’s not justifiable. Hopefully it’s a teaching and reflecting moment about how we treat our police.

Remi Moses
19-04-2020, 04:37 PM
Not doubting it’s a difficult shit job in a shit time , but there are a load of grey areas at the moment

anfo27
19-04-2020, 04:48 PM

I'm offended for BAD with that response. So taking a photo of people who are suppose to be upholding a rule who themselves are breaking the rule while upholding it is intellectually dishonest? The police are paid by the taxpayer & its certainly legal to take a picture or film a police officer in a public place.
By the tone of your post we should never question any authoritative voice ever as they know better than the plebs.

jeemak
19-04-2020, 04:53 PM
What’s the doubt? They’re emergency services, thus, essential workers. They’re even door knocking quarantine households, placing themselves at risk.

When it’s ok to invade the privacy to invade the lives of law abiding citizens, the right to privacy itself for all others gets weakened. Lawful and wrong are different concepts.

A vast many want to beat up on police, right until they ring 000 (not saying anyone here). Me, I will defend every law abiding police member to my last breath. Including their right to go to work (in shithouse circumstances), uphold the right and not have their photos taken without permission. For many, the last 12 months have been violence, dead bodies, bushfires and coronavirus. Their thanks is turning up to work to be photographed without their consent, and privacy invaded/breached.

It’s not justifiable. Hopefully it’s a teaching and reflecting moment about how we treat our police.

I've got no problems with police walking side by side or driving in cars together at the moment. It's how they do their job. But, being able to clearly articulate why police don't have to follow the same rules as the general public at this moment in time is a no brainer for me.

When are we allowed to take images of police then? Only if they're doing the right thing and we say well done, or only when they're doing the wrong thing? Or never at all?

If a citizen thinks the police aren't acting in accordance with the law, or are performing their duties inappropriately what should they do, just report it and hope the police take care of things without any evidence? Is this what you're actually saying?

I'm not trying to bait you, it's a genuine question because you have a perspective on this that I can't bring to the table.

GVGjr
19-04-2020, 04:57 PM
Anyway, back to the situation at hand...….I just want the investigation to be done with and outcomes announced. The longer it goes on from here the more it will seem a contrived result.

The indications are that it will be wrapped up soon but I'd be very confident that it won't be a contrived result.
Taking our time to do it right is the correct response.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2020, 04:57 PM
I'm offended for BAD with that response. So taking a photo of people who are suppose to be upholding a rule who themselves are breaking the rule while upholding it is intellectually dishonest? The police are paid by the taxpayer & its certainly legal to take a picture or film a police officer in a public place.
By the tone of your post we should never question any authoritative voice ever as they know better than the plebs.

What were they doing illegal?

Why aren’t police afforded the right to privacy like others doing nothing wrong?

Taxpayers fund 150,000 workers in Victoria. Nurses, teachers, Courts, govt bodies like TAC. Are these covered by the we pay them so their privacy is null and void too?

Trying to work out where the line or slippery slope of losing our right to privacy is?

bulldogtragic
19-04-2020, 05:07 PM
I've got no problems with police walking side by side or driving in cars together at the moment. It's how they do their job. But, being able to clearly articulate why police don't have to follow the same rules as the general public at this moment in time is a no brainer for me.

When are we allowed to take images of police then? Only if they're doing the right thing and we say well done, or only when they're doing the wrong thing? Or never at all?

If a citizen thinks the police aren't acting in accordance with the law, or are performing their duties inappropriately what should they do, just report it and hope the police take care of things without any evidence? Is this what you're actually saying?

I'm not trying to bait you, it's a genuine question because you have a perspective on this that I can't bring to the table.

Report it to IBAC. They’ve been ruthless on police misbehavior and corruption (& good on them). They’re paid to go after police, so let them to investigate and don’t go private detective. Or ring Ethical Standards. Don’t want to go that far, ring the police station Office in Charge. Or ring and ask what they were doing and why. That’s 4 options of the top of my head that don’t involve photographing police doing lawful, routine duties.

Theres a huge difference between ‘Rodney King’ and photographing police performing lawful duties. Photographing any police for any reason because you can to is wrong, and undermines the entire right to privacy.

If you really want to ‘police’ the police, or work at IBAC and go after crooks with badges.

anfo27
19-04-2020, 05:56 PM
What were they doing illegal?

Why aren’t police afforded the right to privacy like others doing nothing wrong?

Taxpayers fund 150,000 workers in Victoria. Nurses, teachers, Courts, govt bodies like TAC. Are these covered by the we pay them so their privacy is null and void too?

Trying to work out where the line or slippery slope of losing our right to privacy is?

They were breaking social distancing rules, is that illegal? What is the difference between a rule and a law?

They are public servants in a public place, there is no privacy laws for this. If they are practicing what they preach then why should they give a stuff? I'm a strong advocate for privacy but privacy isn't an issue here. I'm not sure why you think it does?

Plenty of instances where vision from a private citizen has caught the police out before. If there is no evidence, then its your word against a police officer & good luck winning that one.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2020, 06:04 PM
They were breaking social distancing rules, is that illegal? What is the difference between a rule and a law?

They are public servants in a public place, there is no privacy laws for this. If they are practicing what they preach then why should they give a stuff? I'm a strong advocate for privacy but privacy isn't an issue here. I'm not sure why you think it does?

Plenty of instances where vision from a private citizen has caught the police out before. If there is no evidence, then its your word against a police officer & good luck winning that one.

You say breach. Do the social distancing laws apply to nurses, doctors or police while on duty? The SOG, homicide squad are also a team of multiple people. Good time to kill or be a serious crook then?

Should nurses, doctors, teachers and other govt workers also be subject to photos or videos any time for no real Legitimate reason?

What evidentiary reason is there photographing police doing lawful routine duties to avoid a ‘he said/he said’?

GVGjr
19-04-2020, 06:06 PM
Lets get the thread back to the Lochie Hunter topic thanks

bulldogtragic
19-04-2020, 06:10 PM
Lets get the thread back to the Lochie Hunter topic thanks

Now the powers to be invade my/our right to freedom of expression.

What did Lachie do again? I want to say something to do with taxes.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-04-2020, 06:50 PM
Surely the term social distancing excludes those in essential working environments, particularly whereby team work is essential i.e. police, nurses etc.

If the term was flat out physical distancing, that would pertain to all but as I know and read it, social distancing is a reference to non-essential, casual-in-nature groups of people coming together.

In terms of the actual topic at hand, I'll wait and see what the punishment is before commenting too much but ultimately I think Lachie will probably get what he deserves along with the sheer embarrassment of it.

hujsh
19-04-2020, 06:54 PM

If there's any group of people that should be regularly photographed and filmed by the public it's the police. There's a lot of credibility give to the word of an officer and they are the ones who enforce the standards on the public so the public has a right to make sure the police maintain certain standards as well.

There are lots of great police officers out there but if them occasionally having footage taken of them as they do their job roots out the shit officers then I hope they understand and accept it as part of their job.

Also I'd hate to see large chunks of the police force wiped out with CV at a time like this so the question is fair re:distancing IMO

AndrewP6
19-04-2020, 07:00 PM
Surely the term social distancing excludes those in essential working environments, particularly whereby team work is essential i.e. police, nurses etc.

If the term was flat out physical distancing, that would pertain to all but as I know and read it, social distancing is a reference to non-essential, casual-in-nature groups of people coming together.

This. The questioning of police doing their job staggers me. Anyway, we move on.

Twodogs
19-04-2020, 07:03 PM
If I am doing nothing wrong then photo away. Knock yourself out.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2020, 07:08 PM
If there's any group of people that should be regularly photographed and filmed by the public it's the police. There's a lot of credibility give to the word of an officer and they are the ones who enforce the standards on the public so the public has a right to make sure the police maintain certain standards as well.

There are lots of great police officers out there but if them occasionally having footage taken of them as they do their job roots out the shit officers then I hope they understand and accept it as part of their job.

Also I'd hate to see large chunks of the police force wiped out with CV at a time like this so the question is fair re:distancing IMO

I won’t derail the thread again. The photo doesn’t stop CV spreading to those members, or SOG, or crime squads. They’re emergency workers and essential workers (no debate) and I’m sure the Commissioners know more than us discussing a photo somehow demishes their risk.

The argument on breaching privacy is propagated by the CIA, NSA etc. - ‘Those who have nothing to hide should be fine with being surveilled unnecessarily. If it means catching a bad one, so be it. I’m sure every understands the security of our society has a price.’ - I am with Ed Snowden, I don’t subscribe to this at all at any level of society. Privacy should be cherished, fought and sacrificed for. Routine govt workers, doing routine things, getting photographed doesn’t stop any crime or demonstrate corruption.

Now before gvgjr shuts the thread: Lachie Hunter.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2020, 07:09 PM
This. The questioning of police doing their job staggers me. Anyway, we move on.

Ive pulled strings. You’re still right to call 000 if necessary. :D

Will teachers get a $1,652 fine per class?

bulldogtragic
19-04-2020, 07:11 PM
If I am doing nothing wrong then photo away. Knock yourself out.

How about ASIO getting all your data, metadata, numbers, emails, online accounts, digital photos too?

If your not doing anything wrong, we can all hand in our rights together for the AFP to kick in our doors, especially in you’re a journo.

Twodogs
19-04-2020, 07:16 PM
How about ASIO getting all your data, metadata, numbers, emails, online accounts, digital photos too?

If your not doing anything wrong, we can all hand in our rights together for the AFP to kick in our doors, especially in you’re a journo.

I work in a job where I don't know if the person standing next to me is the cousin/sister/brother/Aunty/Uncle of the client I have. Autistic people are fairly unpredictable-I've been bashed more than once but if I strike out then it's MY fault, not theirs. I knew the rules when I signed up for the job and I accept them. One of those is acting professionally and in the way my employer has trained me to react-I just can't go off tap and neither can the cops.

If I *!*!*!*! up then I deserve to lose my job because I have been trained to deal with those situations by my employer and I have ignored that training by putting myself in harms way.

GVGjr
19-04-2020, 07:20 PM
SEN

Former Hawthorn president and current AFL commissioner Andrew Newbold has offered Western Bulldogs advice on how to deal with Lachie Hunter following his drink-driving incident last week.

Hunter blew 0.123 in the hours after crashing his car into four park cars in Middle Park on Thursday night.

Newbold, who is current chairman of Golf Australia, dealt with a similar incident as Hawks president in 2015 when Luke Hodge returned a blood alcohol reading of 0.068 after drinking at a social function in the week before finals.

He said Hodge’s openness about his error of judgement contributed to him avoiding a club-imposed suspension for the incident while also forecasting the Western Bulldogs would be having extensive conversations with Hunter in private.

“Clearly Luke (Hodge) was open and honest about the mistake he made,” he said on Sportsday.

“We had some pretty open and honest conversation and we moved on from there. They’ll be a lot that goes on behind closed doors that will never seen the public light of day and that’s fair enough because clubs need to look after their assets and staff.

“That’s what we tried to do at Hawthorn.”

Newbold denied the club dealt with Hodge differently because the incident occurred just weeks before they eventually won the 2015 premiership.

“I don’t know we necessarily made a different decision because we were going into the finals,” Newbold said.

“What we look at is contrition and his record in terms of abiding by the rules set by the players themselves. When I was at Hawthorn, the players very much drove their owns standards of behaviour.

“At first instance, Hodge would’ve had to have fronted up to the players and then we would’ve to step in.

“It was a culture very much driven by the playing group and I’m sure that will apply to a lot of clubs today.”

GVGjr
19-04-2020, 07:22 PM
Another one from SEN

Kane Cornes has called for the Western Bulldogs to immediately strip vice-captain Lachie Hunter of his leadership position after he crashed into four parked cars and returned a positive breath test on Thursday night.

Hunter was allegedly driven by 19-year-old teammate Bailey Smith to Billy Gowers’ house in the immediate aftermath of the incident.

Police then conducted a breath test on Hunter which returned a reading of 0.123 – more than twice the legal limit.

Cornes said the Dogs have no choice but to exclude Hunter from any leadership role at the club for at least 12 months.

“I think (stripping of the vice-captaincy) is the first position the club would take,” he said on Crunchtime.

“It’s probably untenable to hold that position. We’ve seen players dumped from leadership positions for a lot less than this.

“I think (Hunter) would probably put his hand up himself. It’s pretty hard to be involved in a leadership group with (other leaders) who will be handing down a punishment to him.

“I’d be surprised if he hasn’t already volunteered to step down for 12 months and then reassess things.

“There is a certain trust that is lost when something like this happens. We’re not going to hang the guy out to dry but we understand the seriousness of it.

“Everyone will get a second chance – he’ll be welcomed back (to the leadership group) but I’d say not for (at least) 12 months.”

bulldogtragic
19-04-2020, 07:46 PM
I work in a job where I don't know if the person standing next to me is the cousin/sister/brother/Aunty/Uncle of the client I have. Autistic people are fairly unpredictable-I've been bashed more than once but if I strike out then it's MY fault, not theirs. I knew the rules when I signed up for the job and I accept them. One of those is acting professionally and in the way my employer has trained me to react-I just can't go off tap and neither can the cops.

If I *!*!*!*! up then I deserve to lose my job because I have been trained to deal with those situations by my employer and I have ignored that training by putting myself in harms way.

No one defends rogue cops, especially me, that's not close to the point. Photographing and filming police for no reason is a somewhat new thing. If police are acting in a dangerous or corrupt way than film them. If they're doing routine duties in a completely lawful way, then they shouldn't be subject to random filming or photographing. Nor should you. Nor should I. Or anyone else. All our privacy matters.

Twodogs
19-04-2020, 07:49 PM
No one defends rogue cops, especially me, that's not close to the point. Photographing and filming police for no reason is a somewhat new thing. If police are acting in a dangerous or corrupt way than film them. If they're doing routine duties in a completely lawful way, then they shouldn't be subject to random filming or photographing. Nor should you. Nor should I. Or anyone else. All our privacy matters.

It's just part of my job. I don't get a say in it.

If I don't accept then I find another job-no argument. The first thing my first boss said to me was "perception is everything-I don't care if you are right or wrong, it's the optics I care about and you are being judged by everyone who sees you"

bulldogtragic
19-04-2020, 08:19 PM
It's just part of my job. I don't get a say in it.

If I don't accept then I find another job-no argument. The first thing my first boss said to me was "perception is everything-I don't care if you are right or wrong, it's the optics I care about and you are being judged by everyone who sees you"

True. The parallel though is cameras throughout police stations, interview rooms, holding cells etc. All necessary and mandatory.

But, if you go for a lunch break to a local cafe or to grab supplies down the road then you should be able to do that without people filming you unless you're doing something wrong. Then they can upload it anonymously to my website: www.2dogs-2wrong.com.au

Twodogs
19-04-2020, 08:28 PM
True. The parallel though is cameras throughout police stations, interview rooms, holding cells etc. All necessary and mandatory.

But, if you go for a lunch break to a local cafe or to grab supplies down the road then you should be able to do that without people filming you unless you're doing something wrong. Then they can upload it anonymously to my website: www.2dogs-2wrong.com.au

We have to get that website up and running.

jeemak
19-04-2020, 08:37 PM
So this is how BT is on a hangover...…….

comrade
19-04-2020, 08:53 PM
Thankfully, it seems the narrative around Hunter is at worst he is stripped of the vice captaincy. The initial response here of a few to knife him completely was pretty harsh so I'm glad no one is publicly suggesting it either.

GVGjr
19-04-2020, 08:58 PM
Thankfully, it seems the narrative around Hunter is at worst he is stripped of the vice captaincy. The initial response here of a few to knife him completely was pretty harsh so I'm glad no one is publicly suggesting it either.

From a footy perspective the word seems to be a 2 to 3 game suspension and loss of the vice captaincy and leadership positions.

All in all a decent outcome for him but he will need some support in the short term. You called it correctly early on, a good learning moment for both Hunter and the whole club.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2020, 09:00 PM
So this is how BT is on a hangover...…….

Nah, start drinking early, finish the hangover early. It really is much better.

I just won't take a backward step on this.