PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the Next Vice Captain ?

bornadog
21-04-2020, 05:49 PM
I think Mitch Wallis would make a great Vice Captain, but he has to be deemed to be in the best 22 (not saying either way)

Who else are contenders?

comrade
21-04-2020, 05:51 PM
I think Mitch Wallis would make a great Vice Captain, but he has to be deemed to be in the best 22 (not saying either way)

Who else are contenders?

Dunks, Crozier, Macrae & Wallis all in the mix.

GVGjr
21-04-2020, 05:53 PM

Who else are contenders?

Crozier, Dunkley, Johannisen, Wallis and I will throw in Macrae and Trengove

The Bulldogs Bite
21-04-2020, 05:55 PM
Without knowing the ins and outs - and I think in this case I'd like the MC/Bevo to appoint a replacement - Dunkley would be high on my list of candidates.

bornadog
21-04-2020, 06:05 PM
Without knowing the ins and outs - and I think in this case I'd like the MC/Bevo to appoint a replacement - Dunkley would be high on my list of candidates.

You would think it would be one of the members of the leadership group ( I need to check who they are)

bulldogtragic
21-04-2020, 06:23 PM
Crozier or Macrae.

bulldogtragic
21-04-2020, 06:25 PM
Fair decision. We move on.

Axe Man
21-04-2020, 06:26 PM
You would think it would be one of the members of the leadership group ( I need to check who they are)

Wood, JJ, Wallis, Dunkley (Bont & Hunter).

Dunkley if he's ready, if not Wood for a year perhaps.

JJ doesn't strike me as a leader, Wallis has best 22 concerns as mentioned.

Suggestions such as Macrae and Crozier could be elevated to the now vacant leadership group spot.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-04-2020, 06:31 PM
I think Crozier would be a good choice.
I was initially leaning towards Dunks, but with Bont set for a long reign as captain felt Crozier would be a suitable deputy for the next 2-3 years. This allows Dunks to just focus on footy in the immediate future.

Grantysghost
21-04-2020, 06:38 PM
I would nominate Wallis.

Twodogs
21-04-2020, 06:49 PM
Crozier.

He makes good decisions on field and off.

Jeanette54
21-04-2020, 07:00 PM
Given its Bont's first year as Captain, and his youth, I think it needs a mature player to help support him.

Crozier seems to have taken on more responsibility for the organisation of the backline, so maybe he is inline. Although I wonder if Easton Wood might put his hand up for much the same reason.

I would love to see Wally there, and maybe that would give his career a kick along, and cement a permanent place in our best 22.

Ozza
21-04-2020, 07:10 PM
I think it will be Dunkley. I thought it would be him before Hunter was appointed. So I'll stick with Dunks now. He is an absolutely no risk pick, in my view.

GVGjr
21-04-2020, 07:23 PM
So who is going to challenge the others in the group?

Crozier and Dunkley are good mates with Bont and that has some positives and maybe a couple of negatives
Wallis appears to be a natural but he may not be in our best 22
Wood can do the job but I don't rate him as a best 22 player and Trengove who could also do the job appears to be in the back of the queue
Has JJ matured and is Macrae vocal enough?

Based on all that it probably needs to be Wallis as the VC

Rocco Jones
21-04-2020, 07:27 PM
I would think it would come out of the remaining leadership group. That consists of Wood, JJ, Wally and Dunks.

Wood- think being former captain, going a bit backwards making him VC
JJ- seems popular guy but seem him more as a member of broad leadership group
Wally- probably the best option but not sure if he is lock in 22
Dunkley- great role model, just very young alongside Bont

This all said, think VC over leadership group= mostly tokenistic

Rocket Science
21-04-2020, 09:36 PM
I'm staggered Jacko isn't already VC, unless, a la Gryphone, he instinctively shuns anything likely to distract his focus on his footy.

1eyedog
21-04-2020, 10:28 PM
Probably Macrae. Probably not vocal enough but is extremely passionate and is a very, very good player and works very hard so leads by example. Dunks seems too youngish. Wally and Crozier good candidates.

boydogs
22-04-2020, 10:11 AM
Mitch Wallis, though I'm a fan of him as a lock in the 22

Bulldog4life
22-04-2020, 10:25 AM
I would make it a joint Vice Captaincy. Mitch for me irrespective of whether he is a lock.Bleeds the red, white & blue. Joined by Dunks who will remain the VC when Wally retires. Along side of the Bont those two would make a great leadership team into the future.

The Pie Man
22-04-2020, 11:47 AM
Crozier or Dunkley for mine, tight with the Bont and damn fine players.

I'd love to see Bailey Smith emerge as a leader in the next few years.

soupman
22-04-2020, 11:49 AM
Don't pick one? They are all flawed somewhat.

Wood is only just in our best 22.
Wallis is only just in our best 22, is arguably at best our 5th best forward and barely a midfielder. Great guy though.
Dunkley is a decent candidate in the future but has put together one (admittedly very good) half of a season and the rest of his career has been promising to good but not consistently either. Also as good friends with Bont and seemingly sharing all the same attributes is it basically just picking Bont twice? Which does sound nice but maybe we want a slightly different type as vc.
JJ is not exactly the guy you want leading you when you have your backs to the wall considering he is our most easily bullied player.

Macrae and Crozier are the two I like the most, but neither is in the leadership group so I'm not a big fan of just letting them leap frog the rest.

How about we just leave Bont as the captain with a leadership group underneath him, and just rotate the captaincy through them in the terrifying instance Bont is unavailable.

Ozza
22-04-2020, 12:46 PM
Not sure how Dunks is classed as having one half of a season. Huge year last year. And second half of 2018 was oustanding once he started getting played midfield.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-04-2020, 02:28 PM
Not sure how Dunks is classed as having one half of a season. Huge year last year. And second half of 2018 was oustanding once he started getting played midfield.

Yep.

Age doesn't worry me either - he's a born leader and is clearly already viewed as such within the club.

My only concern is that you perhaps would like a different personality to the Captain.

GVGjr
22-04-2020, 02:33 PM

Wasn't Dunkley moved into the midfield about round 6 last season after trying to have him more as a forward?

The Pie Man
22-04-2020, 02:43 PM
Yep.

Age doesn't worry me either - he's a born leader and is clearly already viewed as such within the club.

My only concern is that you perhaps would like a different personality to the Captain.

That's a positive for mine - uniformity in message and approach from all leaders. 'Same page' type of direction.

soupman
22-04-2020, 03:01 PM

Look i kind of agree but considering after his strong finish to 2018 the coaches decided to play him as a forward where we was much quieter and ineffectual for the first third at least of 2019 I would argue he has only established himself as that gun midfielder in half of last season.

Murphy'sLore
22-04-2020, 03:48 PM
I like the idea of a joint vice-captaincy. Wallis for character and maturity, Dunkley as the apprentice. Crozier was the other possibility for mine, but if he's not in the leadership group it's not a good look for him to jump over the others.

Macrae too quiet, maybe too self-focused? JJ too flaky. Wood still around as the mentor figure, doesn't need to be VC.

Bumper Bulldogs
22-04-2020, 10:03 PM
I would love Wallace, my smoky would be Bruce.

Should we throw a jumper back on Moz

Axe Man
22-04-2020, 10:47 PM
I would love Wallace, my smoky would be Bruce.

Should we throw a jumper back on Moz

I think Terry is probably past it these days.

Unless you plan on reanimating William, he has some leadership qualities.

Ozza
23-04-2020, 11:10 AM
Wasn't Dunkley moved into the midfield about round 6 last season after trying to have him more as a forward?

Probably splitting hairs a bit - but he had a very strong second half of 2018. Then inexplicably kept out of the midfield for most of the first 6 rounds. In rounds 7 & 8 he had 35+ possessions and never looked back.

I'd say he did everything he could do with the previously 1.5 years of footy.

The Underdog
23-04-2020, 11:53 AM
I'm staggered Jacko isn't already VC, unless, a la Gryphone, he instinctively shuns anything likely to distract his focus on his footy.

Some players are good players and bad leaders, some with less talent are better leaders. Occasionally you get someone who can do both. Macrae as far as I can tell has never got a sniff of the leadership group, which seems to indicate that his teammates don’t view him as a leader. He has always had a reputation for being quiet although from all reports he certainly doesn’t lack for confidence. Hunter for all his faults (and while I’m a fan, there is no way he could have continued as VC) has always been demonstrative on the field with communicating and directing teammates, something Macrae hasn’t obviously done.

Bulldog4life
23-04-2020, 12:00 PM
Some players are good players and bad leaders, some with less talent are better leaders. Occasionally you get someone who can do both. Macrae as far as I can tell has never got a sniff of the leadership group, which seems to indicate that his teammates don’t view him as a leader. He has always had a reputation for being quiet although from all reports he certainly doesn’t lack for confidence. Hunter for all his faults (and while I’m a fan, there is no way he could have continued as VC) has always been demonstrative on the field with communicating and directing teammates, something Macrae hasn’t obviously done.

Yes we are going to miss him a lot.

Axe Man
23-04-2020, 01:15 PM
Yes we are going to miss him a lot.

For 4 weeks. When he returns there is no reason he can't continue to lead on and off the field despite not having an official leadership role. Natural leaders will lead regardless of title, whilst giving someone who isn't a leader a title won't magically make them one.

Mofra
23-04-2020, 02:22 PM
I'm still in the Wallis camp for VC. The players look up to him and he's best 22 for mine as a forward. Speaks well, excellent trainer.