PDA

View Full Version : The Biggest hit of the decade

bornadog
29-04-2020, 02:36 PM
It's been 10 years since four-time premiership champion Jordan Lewis was rendered motionless when he was involved in a monstrous collision with then Bulldog Jarrod Harbrow. (https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/afl/biggest-hit-of-the-decade!773172)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfu46ZGHm-U

How many weeks would Harbrow get for this now?

What is the biggest hit you have witnessed at a match?

Mofra
29-04-2020, 02:40 PM
A hawk supporter friend of mine was sitting behind the Hawthorn bench when it happened. He said as soon as Harbrow hit Lewis, the Hawk medicos just looked at each other as if to say "oh shit" before running onto the field.

Biggest hit I'd seen live. These days Lewis wouldn't play for two weeks and Harbrow would get 8 for leaving the ground and hitting him high.

bornadog
29-04-2020, 02:48 PM
A hawk supporter friend of mine was sitting behind the Hawthorn bench when it happened. He said as soon as Harbrow hit Lewis, the Hawk medicos just looked at each other as if to say "oh shit" before running onto the field.

Biggest hit I'd seen live. These days Lewis wouldn't play for two weeks and Harbrow would get 8 for leaving the ground and hitting him high.

I was on the opposite wing, it really was a big hit.

The biggest hit I saw was Wallace getting his jaw smashed by Grinter, a real dirty act.

Mofra
29-04-2020, 02:54 PM
I didn't see the Grinter hit. If we're talking inanimate objects, Galaxy's hit on the goal-post is worthy of mention.

I still like Harbrow as a player. One guy who moved on that I feel no ill-will towards.

bornadog
29-04-2020, 03:04 PM
I didn't see the Grinter hit. If we're talking inanimate objects, Galaxy's hit on the goal-post is worthy of mention.

I still like Harbrow as a player. One guy who moved on that I feel no ill-will towards.

He would have been handy over the past few years

chef
29-04-2020, 06:05 PM
Gia on Kosi really sticks in my brain.

anfo27
29-04-2020, 06:55 PM
I remember being on the Doug Hawkins wing on his record breaking game against the cats & seeing Wally knock Adrian Hickmont out right in front of us.

Remi Moses
29-04-2020, 08:57 PM
Wally did some damage
Heady springs to mind and he did a number on Shaun Smith back in the day

jeemak
29-04-2020, 09:22 PM
Well if we're talking the 00's then I don't think anyone can argue with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMT698ArSfQ

bornadog
29-04-2020, 10:26 PM
Well if we're talking the 00's then I don't think anyone can argue with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMT698ArSfQ

One hit wonders

jeemak
29-04-2020, 11:22 PM
One hit wonders

I'm sure they were expecting bigger things to come.

I remember coming home from absolute benders at the time and being so confused as to what I was watching when this clip came on. I mean I'm born to hand jive...…...but I like my hand jiving to be more complex.

jeemak
29-04-2020, 11:26 PM
Anyway, there was one contest that was a head clash between a Richmond player and possibly a Geelong player about fifteen years ago that sent shivers down my spine. It reminded me of what people told me of my first contest in senior footy.

Two players committed to the football, full pace, and carnage. I went back on eventually after clearly being concussed, heady days indeed.

EasternWest
30-04-2020, 12:23 AM
It's been 10 years since four-time premiership champion Jordan Lewis was rendered motionless when he was involved in a monstrous collision with then Bulldog Jarrod Harbrow. (https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/afl/biggest-hit-of-the-decade!773172)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfu46ZGHm-U

How many weeks would Harbrow get for this now?

What is the biggest hit you have witnessed at a match?

None. That was a fair contest.

SonofScray
30-04-2020, 01:15 AM
Worth noting Jarbrow got to the footy first there. Play on.

Dry Rot
30-04-2020, 02:28 AM
Gia on Kosi really sticks in my brain.

And in Kosi's brain.

Dry Rot
30-04-2020, 02:29 AM
Playing for the Giants, IIRC Mumford really ironed someone out. A Cats player?

chef
30-04-2020, 07:15 AM
Playing for the Giants, IIRC Mumford really ironed someone out. A Cats player?

Mitch Duncan and with a tackle. Like he hit a brick wall.

Mofra
30-04-2020, 08:53 AM
Glen Archer welcoming Lenny Hayes to senior football was a big hit. Archer stepped over him afterwards, then Lenny got up and played on.

Then there is Byron Pickett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-LTDH5Djls

EasternWest
30-04-2020, 05:58 PM
Glen Archer welcoming Lenny Hayes to senior football was a big hit. Archer stepped over him afterwards, then Lenny got up and played on.

Then there is Byron Pickett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-LTDH5Djls

Biglands made a beeline for Pickett. Sometime you reap what you sow.

Twodogs
02-05-2020, 05:45 PM
Biglands made a beeline for Pickett. Sometime you reap what you sow.

Seriously? One player with his head down playing the ball gets picked off by a player who could have easily avoided him. If he had killed Biglands (which he quite easily had done by crushing his spinal column) would we be lionising him now? Pickett was a dangerous thug and I would refuse to play on the same team as him. If he does shit like that in games then he will do it at training too and I'm not risking that.

The day he signed would be the day my transfer request goes in. If it gets refused I'd organise myself and a couple of teammates to pick him off accidentally at training one day in the not too distant future.

EasternWest
03-05-2020, 09:54 AM
Seriously? One player with his head down playing the ball gets picked off by a player who could have easily avoided him. If he had killed Biglands (which he quite easily had done by crushing his spinal column) would we be lionising him now? Pickett was a dangerous thug and I would refuse to play on the same team as him. If he does shit like that in games then he will do it at training too and I'm not risking that.

The day he signed would be the day my transfer request goes in. If it gets refused I'd organise myself and a couple of teammates to pick him off accidentally at training one day in the not too distant future.

Eh. I'm not discussing the merits, failings or virtue of either player. You are.

I'm talking about this incident. Bock was going for the ball, Biglands ran to provide a shepherd and block Pickett's run. He didn't have his head over the ball, he was running straight at Pickett and he braces for the impact. Did you even watch the video? Maybe you're thinking of a different incident.

Twodogs
03-05-2020, 11:15 AM
Eh. I'm not discussing the merits, failings or virtue of either player. You are.

I'm talking about this incident. Bock was going for the ball, Biglands ran to provide a shepherd and block Pickett's run. He didn't have his head over the ball, he was running straight at Pickett and he braces for the impact. Did you even watch the video? Maybe you're thinking of a different incident.

OK I got the wrong player, I'm in a drug rehab facility and I'm isolated in my room 24/7 because covid is here. We only get access to an iPad for 30 minutes a day so excuse the fact that I can't watch videos over and over. But he still picked a player off, check the look on the trainer's face. The last time I saw that look from a trainer was when Neil Sasche was paralysed. One of the players tried to pick Sasche up and called him a weak *!*!*!*!. That was when I saw the trainer look at him like that.

EasternWest
03-05-2020, 12:03 PM
OK I got the wrong player, I'm in a drug rehab facility and I'm isolated in my room 24/7 because covid is here. We only get access to an iPad for 30 minutes a day so excuse the fact that I can't watch videos over and over. But he still picked a player off, check the look on the trainer's face. The last time I saw that look from a trainer was when Neil Sasche was paralysed. One of the players tried to pick Sasche up and called him a weak *!*!*!*!. That was when I saw the trainer look at him like that.

Again you're drifting from the point.

He didn't pick anyone off. Biglands was a willing participant in the contest and he came off second best. That's it.

Your opinion on reactions and Sachse etc is just that, and you're entitled to it and I'm not debating it.

With all that said, mate I sincerely hope you're doing ok. You're a legend on this page and I always enjoy your thoughts and anecdotes. Please take care of yourself.

PM me if you want to talk crap to each other offline.

westdog54
03-05-2020, 12:50 PM

While Pickett could be a thug this was a clean hit, and still is a far as I'm concerned.

Doesn't get his head at all, and it's near enough to the ball.

Even today that's play on.

Twodogs
03-05-2020, 03:37 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-v8V1_xVSd8

This isn't this decade but it is a classic shirtfront.

bornadog
03-05-2020, 04:21 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-v8V1_xVSd8

This isn't this decade but it is a classic shirtfront.

No that is thuggery.

A shirt front is a bump to the chest, not smashing a guys head

jeemak
03-05-2020, 05:35 PM
Bigglands wanted the contact, just picked the wrong contact to seek out.

Twodogs
03-05-2020, 05:51 PM
No that is thuggery.

A shirt front is a bump to the chest, not smashing a guys head

I don't think so. It was completely normal for the time. In fact had Magro pulled out he would have been considered a craven coward and taken straight off the ground and playing in the reserves the next week.

If anyone is to blame it's the player who helicoptered the kick to Jezza in the first place.

westdog54
03-05-2020, 06:28 PM
I don't think so. It was completely normal for the time. In fact had Magro pulled out he would have been considered a craven coward and taken straight off the ground and playing in the reserves the next week.

If anyone is to blame it's the player who helicoptered the kick to Jezza in the first place.

When you jump into the player and go for the head, it ceases to be a shirtfront.

Made no attempt to go for the ball whatsoever. Cheap shot.

I agree with you on the kick. Hospital pass of the highest order.