PDA

View Full Version : Classic Dogs games you like

Dry Rot
01-05-2020, 01:56 PM
Dogs site and afl.com is doing a lot of "On this Day" retrospective game articles. And we can reminisce about other great games ourselves.

Today's one is one of my favourite games - a great comeback, a win on the bell and I was here.

2004 - North vs Dogs @ Manuka Oval Canberra.

There have been some dramatic games with close finishes, including three matches decided by under a goal, the most recent a heartbreaking two-point loss to the Giants in 2017, the teams' first meeting after their epic Preliminary Final encounter the year before.

But for sheer drama and emotion, it's hard to top the very first game the Bulldogs played at the venue, on this day in 2004, when it was simply known as Manuka Oval.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/588429/on-this-day-a-classic-canberra-comeback

bornadog
01-05-2020, 02:13 PM
Fantatsic finish - I haven't watched it for ages.

Eastdog
01-05-2020, 02:39 PM
Round 3, 2014 a Saturday afternoon at Docklands when we beat the Tigers by 2 points. Went to the game and enjoyed that finish.

Eastdog
01-05-2020, 02:45 PM
Fantatsic finish - I haven't watched it for ages.

The stats from that game.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2004/071220040501.html

jeemak
01-05-2020, 03:06 PM
Cracking last quarter. I remember being super frustrated with the first half...…..the last quarter was great and I think this is the game where I realised that I really think North Melbourne are garbage.

bornadog
01-05-2020, 03:22 PM
Cracking last quarter. I remember being super frustrated with the first half...…..the last quarter was great and I think this is the game where I realised that I really think North Melbourne are garbage.

The last 49 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkQDWo1eQ-8

soupman
01-05-2020, 03:41 PM
Possibly the worst winning goal of all time. The ultimate "yes, no, yes, no, yes, no, yeah!!!!" moment.

Eastdog
01-05-2020, 05:28 PM
The last 49 seconds:

That was a great 43 seconds referring to the youtube video length :)

josie
01-05-2020, 07:29 PM
Round 12 2016 vs Port Adelaide in Adelaide. We win 100 to 97. Big Red put on a masterclass, Dahlhaus injured (I think he is out for next 4 or do matches). Stringer kicks a beaut goal from centre square. Bont does a great steal off defender and ripper goal too. Our defence was so desperate that sunny arvo. About to watch it again. Prior round against Eagles was also a ripper - both high quality matches you would consider showing overseas folks who know nothing about the game to convert them to the code. Our play in both matches was exhilarating-bullet like handpasses, daring low trajectory kicks, good marking and a few cracker goals from outside or close to 59 metre arc.

Side note: Not sure Campbell plays in Port match but I am still scratching my head as to why he was not given more opportunities after watching round 10 vs Pies and round 11 vs Eagles.

Happy Days
01-05-2020, 10:48 PM
I love those 2 games against Geelong in 2006. Really felt like watching some higher plane of football.

Twodogs
02-05-2020, 05:06 PM
I love those 2 games against Geelong in 2006. Really felt like watching some higher plane of football.

A one point win to each team wasn't it? I'm not aware of that ever happening before or since

Eastdog
02-05-2020, 05:28 PM
When we beat the Swans back in 2015 Round 5 in the end. JJ kicked a magnificent goal.

The Geelong game in 2018. Was great to finally beat the Cats. Could have been the worst game ever had Harry Taylor got the goal but thankfully our efforts put him off.

josie
02-05-2020, 11:24 PM
When we beat the Swans back in 2015 Round 5 in the end. JJ kicked a magnificent goal.

The Geelong game in 2018. Was great to finally beat the Cats. Could have been the worst game ever had Harry Taylor got the goal but thankfully our efforts put him off.

Hi Easty - I think it was round 15 2016 JJ kicked winning goal - just watched replay !! The 2015 win against Swans in wet was a beauty too (in fact a better game I reckon). Also loved win against Cats too.

Eastdog
02-05-2020, 11:28 PM
Hi Easty - I think it was round 15 2016 JJ kicked winning goal - just watched replay !! The 2015 win against Swans in wet was a beauty too (in fact a better game I reckon). Also loved win against Cats too.

Thanks josie. I mixed the 2 games up :)

jeemak
03-05-2020, 02:40 AM
Round 12 2016 vs Port Adelaide in Adelaide. We win 100 to 97. Big Red put on a masterclass, Dahlhaus injured (I think he is out for next 4 or do matches). Stringer kicks a beaut goal from centre square. Bont does a great steal off defender and ripper goal too. Our defence was so desperate that sunny arvo. About to watch it again. Prior round against Eagles was also a ripper - both high quality matches you would consider showing overseas folks who know nothing about the game to convert them to the code. Our play in both matches was exhilarating-bullet like handpasses, daring low trajectory kicks, good marking and a few cracker goals from outside or close to 59 metre arc.

Side note: Not sure Campbell plays in Port match but I am still scratching my head as to why he was not given more opportunities after watching round 10 vs Pies and round 11 vs Eagles.

Possibly the best suggestion of all time. Excellent work J. Nailed it.

westdog54
03-05-2020, 12:54 PM
The last 49 seconds:

Dean Laidley must wonder to this day how we had a 4 on 2 advantage on the goal line

EasternWest
03-05-2020, 09:13 PM
Dean Laidley must wonder to this day how we had a 4 on 2 advantage on the goal line

Ironic that Dean Laidley gets a random mention today of all days.

westdog54
03-05-2020, 09:52 PM
Ironic that Dean Laidley gets a random mention today of all days.

It's actually a touch eerie.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-05-2020, 10:01 AM
Some games that come to mind;

- 2006 EF vs Collingwood. Great atmosphere and I was about 16/17 at the time, so I couldn't get enough footy.

- 2006 vs Adelaide. I can't remember the round but it was very late in the year and we played them at the MCG. They were on top of the ladder IIRC and we had a classic win to book a spot in the finals.

- Round 3/4 vs St. Kilda in either 2005/06. Again I don't remember the exact round or even the year, but we played the Saints in a night game at Marvel. They had our measure for some time and were a good team, and it was the first game that I thought both Cooney and Griffen really turned it on at the same time. Morris had an epic v Riewoldt and I remember Cam Wight kicking a long goal on the run. Coons kicked one on the run from 50 out of the centre, and Griffen had a magical goose step around an opponent too.

jeemak
04-05-2020, 10:11 AM

- 2006 EF vs Collingwood. Great atmosphere and I was about 16/17 at the time, so I couldn't get enough footy.

- 2006 vs Adelaide. I can't remember the round but it was very late in the year and we played them at the MCG. They were on top of the ladder IIRC and we had a classic win to book a spot in the finals.

- Round 3/4 vs St. Kilda in either 2005/06. Again I don't remember the exact round or even the year, but we played the Saints in a night game at Marvel. They had our measure for some time and were a good team, and it was the first game that I thought both Cooney and Griffen really turned it on at the same time. Morris had an epic v Riewoldt and I remember Cam Wight kicking a long goal on the run. Coons kicked one on the run from 50 out of the centre, and Griffen had a magical goose step around an opponent too.

The Saints game was 2008.

The Pie Man
04-05-2020, 11:43 AM

That Stringer goal / last quarter was after doing squat for the first 3 quarters and a rare bake (at the time) from Bevo.

That Port win was a cracking game - watched in my hotel room in Fiji with text across the screen the whole game that disappeared once the next show came on.

The Pie Man
04-05-2020, 11:47 AM

Was that the game Jordan McMahon kicked a late goal that bounced really high in the goal square over a bunch of players to seal it? Seem to remember Rhett Biglands kicking an amazing goal at the Ponsford stand end randomly

bornadog
04-05-2020, 12:02 PM
Was that the game Jordan McMahon kicked a late goal that bounced really high in the goal square over a bunch of players to seal it? Seem to remember Rhett Biglands kicking an amazing goal at the Ponsford stand end randomly

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpILfA4JzIM

bornadog
04-05-2020, 12:05 PM

That was a great finals match. The size of the Bulldog army surprised everyone that day.

Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-z7Dqv8XrY&t=67s

Twodogs
04-05-2020, 01:48 PM
Enjoy:

How good was Adam Cooney before that knee injury? It's a real shame because he would've been an absolute champion of our club.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-05-2020, 02:27 PM
How good was Adam Cooney before that knee injury? It's a real shame because he would've been an absolute champion of our club.

It is easy to forget how good he was.

That running goal in the EF with Westy's look-away handball was brilliant.

bornadog
04-05-2020, 02:34 PM

He was brilliant up till then.

Shame he seems to have a grudge against the club and never talks about his time at the Bulldogs.

Twodogs
04-05-2020, 02:43 PM
He was brilliant up till then.

Shame he seems to have a grudge against the club and never talks about his time at the Bulldogs.

Meh! Very much his problem. If he wants to pretend that large chunks of his life didn't happen then that's up to him. There is a word for that, and it's called delirium. He could have been part of the premiership side but he walked (after signing a fresh contract so he can't carry on with the old "the footy club didn't want/respect me" BS) so any bitterness is his and his alone. He needs to learn to own the mistakes he makes and stop listening to people who want to blow smoke up his arse or he will never grow up.

Twodogs
04-05-2020, 02:57 PM
Apart from the 2016 prelim this is my favorite close game ever. Me and my two mates were sitting in the Huggins stand and when Williams kicks that goal we are jumping and high fiving and yelling when one of my mates says "inside voices" and then we notice that pretty much every st kilda supporter (and we were sitting in the members' stand so we were pretty much the only Footscray supporters not just in he stand but at that end of the ground) had turned to glare at us.

We got the *!*!*!*! outta Dodge ASAP followed by a hail of abuse and things being thrown at us. It was a great day at the footy all round! :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_CmsB4WOZ4

Dry Rot
04-05-2020, 11:27 PM
Meh! Very much his problem. If he wants to pretend that large chunks of his life didn't happen then that's up to him. There is a word for that, and it's called delirium. He could have been part of the premiership side but he walked .

But would the 2016 version of Cooney and his knee have been part of the premiership side?

Who would you have dropped?

BornInDroopSt'54
09-05-2020, 02:48 PM
Apart from the 2016 prelim this is my favorite close game ever. Me and my two mates were sitting in the Huggins stand and when Williams kicks that goal we are jumping and high fiving and yelling when one of my mates says "inside voices" and then we notice that pretty much every st kilda supporter (and we were sitting in the members' stand so we were pretty much the only Footscray supporters not just in he stand but at that end of the ground) had turned to glare at us.

We got the *!*!*!*! outta Dodge ASAP followed by a hail of abuse and things being thrown at us. It was a great day at the footy all round! :cool:

I was at the other end to you. You must've had a good view of the Williams goal. My bro, The Banker was at same end as you but being a front runner had lost interest in the game because we were getting towelled and had a few beers talking to his mates! It took the Williams goal to get his attention.
I had gone with my mate, Saints supporter who had just recovered from an ACL playing volleball. Before the game we went for a counter lunch, were on the centre median strip of Nepean Hwy, I asked him how he did the ACL and he showed me and did his ACL again in the middle of Nepean Hwy! I didn't realise at the time, so after grimaces and a lunch we went off to the game. I reckon the loss was more painful for him than the ACL.
How good was Williams as a kick? How good was Choco, as usual?

Twodogs
09-05-2020, 06:02 PM
I was at the other end to you. You must've had a good view of the Williams goal. My bro, The Banker was at same end as you but being a front runner had lost interest in the game because we were getting towelled and had a few beers talking to his mates! It took the Williams goal to get his attention.
I had gone with my mate, Saints supporter who had just recovered from an ACL playing volleball. Before the game we went for a counter lunch, were on the centre median strip of Nepean Hwy, I asked him how he did the ACL and he showed me and did his ACL again in the middle of Nepean Hwy! I didn't realise at the time, so after grimaces and a lunch we went off to the game. I reckon the loss was more painful for him than the ACL.
How good was Williams as a kick? How good was Choco, as usual?

The other thing that sticks in my mind was Neil Cordy taking a mark in our goal square. He played on and I thought he was going to get pinged for sure. I put my hands over my eyes when I heard the rest of the stand groan and realized he must have kicked the goal.

It's a real shame Williams didn't have a longer career with us. Did injury cut it short? He just seemed to disappear.

Twodogs
10-05-2020, 11:47 AM
But would the 2016 version of Cooney and his knee have been part of the premiership side?

Who would you have dropped?

Bloody good question. Everyone played a role that day but would a fit Cooney have payed a bigger role I guess is what you have to ask. Like for like I'm thinking Dunkley, McLean or Daniel or but they all played vital roles at one stage. If you tied my down and threatened me with a stick I'd say Tom Liberatore.

Dry Rot
10-05-2020, 09:40 PM
Bloody good question. Everyone played a role that day but would a fit Cooney have payed a bigger role I guess is what you have to ask. Like for like I'm thinking Dunkley, McLean or Daniel or but they all played vital roles at one stage. If you tied my down and threatened me with a stick I'd say Tom Liberatore.

I dunno. I don't recall Cooney playing any good games as a Bomber.

jazzadogs
10-05-2020, 11:54 PM

I highly doubt that winning goal would have been paid with the goal review technology these days...definitely looked like it was either touched or hit the post!

Thanks for the video though. My fiance is a Blues supporter and her family have been watching their premierships on Youtube every Sunday. It was nice to watch some old Bulldog highlights instead!

bornadog
10-05-2020, 11:55 PM

He wouldn't have got a game, he was cooked ages ago

Dry Rot
11-05-2020, 12:28 AM
He wouldn't have got a game, he was cooked ages ago

Agreed.

So would the 2016 models of Griff and Higgins have got a gig in our flag side, and if so, who would you have dropped?

GVGjr
11-05-2020, 01:09 AM

In his final season with Essendon he had about 9 games where he had 25 possessions in a game and he scored 4 brownlow votes
He was serviceable for them

Dry Rot
11-05-2020, 02:56 AM
In his final season with Essendon he had about 9 games where he had 25 possessions in a game and he scored 4 brownlow votes
He was serviceable for them

So does he make our 2016 flag team?

GVGjr
11-05-2020, 07:41 AM
So does he make our 2016 flag team?

He doesn't get that level of possessions in our side. He might have played though so hard to say. In the end Macca did us all a favor by making the hard decision to move a highly talented but not fully focused brownlow medalist on

bornadog
11-05-2020, 10:15 AM
Agreed.

So would the 2016 models of Griff and Higgins have got a gig in our flag side, and if so, who would you have dropped?

I think Griff would have been very good if he had of continued playing for us. The trouble with trying to pick who you would drop for the GF team is we are looking back and know how players performed. It was a team effort.

DR it is very hard to pick a player to drop. I guess you would look at the first year players like Dunkley, Daniel v a 200 plus proven finals performer in Griffen. As for Higgins, yes he has proven himself since he left us, but his form was only average back then, so I wouldn't pick him.

bornadog
07-06-2020, 06:16 PM
I was watching a couple of old games today from my collection. I picked two random games.

In the 80s I recorded many games from the ABC show "The Winners". The Winners didnot always show full games, but rather best quarters, or bits of best quarters.

1. R5, 1985, v Essendon -3rd Quarter.

What a game playing the reigning Premiers, (they won that year as well). We slammed on 7 goals in the 3rd quarter with some exciting football to Essendon's zero. The atmosphere was electric with over 33,000 crammed into the Western Oval. I remember this game vividly, as I was there in my usual spot between the players race and the umpires race. 41 point win. Some real stars in our team that moved the ball from one end to the other so quickly. Essendon were stunned.

2. Rd 16 1982, v Geelong Bits and pieces of 1st, 3rd and last quarter,

After a very close tussle and only 8 points in it at 3rd time, we kicked 10 in the last, Beasley kicking 6 of those to make it 12 for the quarter. He was an incredible Footballer and kicked the most goals of any player in the AFL for the 1980s

Like GVGjr, I am starting to get revved up about next Sunday

josie
07-06-2020, 08:43 PM
There was a game against North in late 1990’s or early 00’s where Carey turned it on for them and Grant turned it on for us. They were both great players for a long time and it was a classic encounter. I recall it quite high scoring and high quality play with a good atmosphere. We lost by 2 points and strangely I was not too upset. I felt it was luck as to who was ahead at final siren. Remember visiting a friends place in city afterwards and they asked how was game and both hubby and I said it was terrific but we lost by 2 - naturally they thought dogs had won as we did not look at all sad.

Grantysghost
07-06-2020, 09:59 PM
There was a game against North in late 1990’s or early 00’s where Carey turned it on for them and Grant turned it on for us. They were both great players for a long time and it was a classic encounter. I recall it quite high scoring and high quality play with a good atmosphere. We lost by 2 points and strangely I was not too upset. I felt it was luck as to who was ahead at final siren. Remember visiting a friends place in city afterwards and they asked how was game and both hubby and I said it was terrific but we lost by 2 - naturally they thought dogs had won as we did not look at all sad.

That was rd 22 98 from memory and if we had of won would've been our first minor premiership? Grant and Carey both kicked 4 was an amazing game.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1998/071219980828.html

josie
07-06-2020, 10:38 PM
Thanks Grantysghost. Yes that was it. Pearl of a game. As Max Smart would say “missed by this much”.

jazzadogs
10-06-2020, 11:55 PM
Thanks Grantysghost. Yes that was it. Pearl of a game. As Max Smart would say “missed by this much”.

If you want to relive it, the highlights are on Youtube (https://youtu.be/ab1VRneuflA) (split into two parts, part two should come up as a suggestion)

https://youtu.be/ab1VRneuflA

Axe Man
11-06-2020, 05:13 PM
Not a classic game since we lost, but does anybody remember this massive dust up in the crowd on this day, June 11 1984?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYZ8qzMgePk&fbclid=IwAR1zZxUVjccgzV4riK7sOK4syjpJbiRcNJVD6vzXincI8S6QtBV TriarOcg

bornadog
11-06-2020, 05:31 PM
Not a classic game since we lost, but does anybody remember this massive dust up in the crowd on this day, June 11 1984?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYZ8qzMgePk&fbclid=IwAR1zZxUVjccgzV4riK7sOK4syjpJbiRcNJVD6vzXincI8S6QtBV TriarOcg

I was there but not behind the goals, we usual stood near the 50 metre arc (well it didn't exist then, but about there) up that end I don't remember much about it.

Axe Man
11-06-2020, 05:46 PM
I was there but not behind the goals, we usual stood near the 50 metre arc (well it didn't exist then, but about there) up that end I don't remember much about it.

If you can't remember you must have been right in the middle of it and concussed!

If anybody on here was involved my money would be on Twodogs.

bornadog
11-06-2020, 05:52 PM
If you can't remember you must have been right in the middle of it and concussed!

I remember there was a fight, but not much else.

GVGjr
11-06-2020, 07:47 PM
I remember there was a fight, but not much else.

We were well down and it was late in the quarter, any chance you were on the way home? :)
Just joking I know you wait until the final siren

josie
11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
Thanks Jazzadogs. Good viewing.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-06-2020, 09:13 PM
I'd love to see the Dogs v Collingwood 1984 in full.
I was in the backyard with the radio on, kicking footy along with the broadcast.
From memory we looked gone at half time, and it just dried up from there for the Pies, culminating in that famous Gubby Allen pass that Beasley intercepted.
From memory Rod Macpherson kicked a couple, and Beaser a few and I reckon Wally and Royal were influential.

bornadog
11-06-2020, 09:32 PM
I'd love to see the Dogs v Collingwood 1984 in full.
I was in the backyard with the radio on, kicking footy along with the broadcast.
From memory we looked gone at half time, and it just dried up from there for the Pies, culminating in that famous Gubby Allen pass that Beasley intercepted.
From memory Rod Macpherson kicked a couple, and Beaser a few and I reckon Wally and Royal were influential.

I will see if I have it.

Twodogs
12-06-2020, 01:37 PM

Missed out unfortunately. Back then we went from end to stand in whichever direction we were kicking. Mainly to watch Beasley. A couple of my cousin's were down that end and got stuck in though. Some classic '80s fashion and hair cuts on display.

I love how Bobby Skilton says "there's no value in such goings on" just as the camera zooms right in for a better shot.

Some old faces I haven't seen in years and a few that are no longer with us.

Twodogs
12-06-2020, 01:59 PM
Micky Egan was an underrated player. I used to play cricket at the same club but I was just a junior. I ended up going to another club because they promised me that they'd play me in one of their open age teams.

If Covid allows I will play for them again this season.