PDA

View Full Version : Terry Wheeler: goal umpire

Twodogs
03-05-2020, 12:37 PM
I was searching on YouTube for a bit hit Terry Wheeler took Jezza out with one day at western oval but I found this instead. Anyone remember it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Zc5ahPj-k

bornadog
03-05-2020, 01:09 PM
Yes I was there, but had forgotten it happened. Very funny.

Eastdog
03-05-2020, 01:57 PM
Wasn’t a good year 1982 for us looking at AFL tables. Only 3 wins and we got the spoon.

Hotdog60
03-05-2020, 01:58 PM
Is that the old Waverly Park?

Eastdog
03-05-2020, 02:00 PM
Is that the old Waverly Park?

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1982/071119820626.html

Yep Waverley Park. We lost this game by 2 points. According to this it looks like Doug Hawkins missed this game.

Twodogs
03-05-2020, 02:46 PM
Wasn’t a good year 1982 for us looking at AFL tables. Only 3 wins and we got the spoon.

The only season when a club conceded 200 points in a match twice and we also conceded 190 points twice.

Then Bluey Hampshire takes over when Royce Hart gets the sack and we imporove a little to the extent we beat Hawthorn and Geelong but then we fall away again and start getting thumped again.

But 1983 is the start of a new age for us. Off the top of my head we have made finals in 15 of the 36 years since and won a flag, that's not a bad record when you consider some of the coaches we've had in that time (*cough* Peter Rhode.)

Eastdog
03-05-2020, 03:48 PM
The only season when a club conceded 200 points in a match twice and we also conceded 190 points twice.

Then Bluey Hampshire takes over when Royce Hart gets the sack and we imporove a little to the extent we beat Hawthorn and Geelong but then we fall away again and start getting thumped again.

But 1983 is the start of a new age for us. Off the top of my head we have made finals in 15 of the 36 years since and won a flag, that's not a bad record when you consider some of the coaches we've had in that time (*cough* Peter Rhode.)

Our finals appearances since 1961

1961 - Grand Finalist
1985 - Prelim Finalist
1992 - Prelim Finalist
1997 - Prelim Finalist
1998 - Prelim Finalist
2008 - Prelim Finalist
2009 - Prelim Finalist
2010 - Prelim Finalist
2016 - Premiers

Rocket Science
03-05-2020, 11:49 PM
Digressing slightly, a bloke turned up at work last week to do a fire safety exit audit and after a few minutes I twigged it was actually ex-Richmond player Bryan Wood.

As he was leaving I mentioned I might've had an old footy card of his to wit he laughed his head off before asking who I barracked for. The reply "Ohh the Doggies, don't mind the Doggies, except for that f**cken mongrel back pocket, broke my bloody nose one day."

We spent several minutes trying to figure out which mongrel back pocket of ours was capable of such a deed before he finally yells out "WHEELER! That's the bastard!".

Oh how we laughed.

Twodogs
04-05-2020, 01:32 AM
Digressing slightly, a bloke turned up at work last week to do a fire safety exit audit and after a few minutes I twigged it was actually ex-Richmond player Bryan Wood.

As he was leaving I mentioned I might've had an old footy card of his to wit he laughed his head off before asking who I barracked for. The reply "Ohh the Doggies, don't mind the Doggies, except for that f**cken mongrel back pocket, broke my bloody nose one day."

We spent several minutes trying to figure out which mongrel back pocket of ours was capable of such a deed before he finally yells out "WHEELER! That's the bastard!".

Oh how we laughed.

He was lucky it was only his nose that was broken. If Terry had played to his strength Wood's testicles would still be hurting.

There was a reason Terry Wheeler made the most tribunal appearances as the victim of the report. It was much the same reason his nickname was Squirrel grip.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-05-2020, 01:40 PM
Versus St Kilda on Hawkins wing, Cowboy Neal gets a head of steam up and is bouncing the ball, his legs pumping his barrel chest along.
Wheeler lines him up with a fully committed shirt front

and bounces off him, Cowboy didn't break stride!
I was flabbergasted.

SonofScray
06-05-2020, 10:13 AM
Good talk back fodder these days. Lyon and Cornes would be tut tutting that all morning on SEN, "the coaches won't like that." "You've got a situation where you've just conceded a point and you're laughing about it? Having fun? Time for wheeler to get serious his footy I think, no wonder the club is where it is"

Caro: AFL investigating breach of conduct by Wheeler for engaging in contact with umpire equipment.

ledge
06-05-2020, 12:26 PM
Love Terry , even when he was sacked he stayed bulldog through and through, extremely loyal to his connections and would do anything for the club still.
He did the hard yards as a coach with us and was very successful considering where we were at.
The guy is just very likeable , apart from his cheeky times playing the game I’ve never heard a bad word From anyone.
Not sure what he does now but I Could see him at a vfl game just watching us.

Mofra
06-05-2020, 12:29 PM
Love Terry , even when he was sacked he stayed bulldog through and through, extremely loyal to his connections and would do anything for the club still.
He did the hard yards as a coach with us and was very successful considering where we were at.
The guy is just very likeable , apart from his cheeky times playing the game I’ve never heard a bad word From anyone.
Not sure what he does now but I Could see him at a vfl game just watching us.
There aren't that many coaches wha are welcome back to their old club with open arms. Wheeler is definitely one of them. Did a jumper presentation to a first gamer last year IIRC?

Twodogs
06-05-2020, 01:05 PM
There aren't that many coaches wha are welcome back to their old club with open arms. Wheeler is definitely one of them. Did a jumper presentation to a first gamer last year IIRC?

Did he present Caleb Daniel with his #35 before his debut?

bornadog
06-05-2020, 01:54 PM
Did he present Caleb Daniel with his #35 before his debut?

Yes and a great speech by Wheels

SonofScray
06-05-2020, 03:28 PM
Yes and a great speech by Wheels

The best of the lot. I love listening to Wheels. He might be a bit mad, which just adds to my admiration.

comrade
06-05-2020, 04:25 PM
The best of the lot. I love listening to Wheels. He might be a bit mad, which just adds to my admiration.

I reckon Wheels and Bevo would have some whacky conversations after a few beers.

ledge
06-05-2020, 04:32 PM

Terry Wallace is another who is a nice guy despite the stories that go around about him leaving . He got life membership not that long ago.

Smads57
08-05-2020, 08:58 PM
I Could see him at a vfl game just watching us.

Terry is a big Willy supporter and always at their VFL games - was both a player and coach there, as well as Bulldogs.

ledge
09-05-2020, 09:56 PM
Terry is a big Willy supporter and always at their VFL games - was both a player and coach there, as well as Bulldogs.

The Ronnie James story is amazing and sad.

Twodogs
10-05-2020, 12:29 AM
Isaac Heaney was criticized today in the H/S for waterskiing and said that his critics were "only jealous" I'd love to sit down and tell him about Ron James

Eastdog
10-05-2020, 03:22 AM
Video from YouTube about Ron James

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6OsxtjYDQs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_James_(footballer,_born_1970)

Last paragraph from the wiki page. 19 so sad way way way too young. I’m 31.

“At the age of 19, James was killed in a water skiing accident near Echuca on New Years Day 1990. He had been skiing with two friends on the Murray River and was flung into a tree. Wheeler, his former coach at Williamstown, had joined Footscray for the 1990 AFL season and was later quoted as saying James could have been a 150 or 200 game player”.

EasternWest
10-05-2020, 07:13 PM
Isaac Heaney was criticized today in the H/S for waterskiing and said that his critics were "only jealous" I'd love to sit down and tell him about Ron James

I'm not sure what your point is. Coronavirus aside, should nobody water ski?

Twodogs
10-05-2020, 10:10 PM
I'm not sure what your point is. Coronavirus aside, should nobody water ski?

No, not at all. Heaney was saying that water skiing was perfectly safe when the lesson from Ron James is it's obviously not. He is an AFL player and gets paid accordingly. Risky behavior like that can wait until retirement. It was only last season that Ollie Wines dislocated his shoulder water skiing and missed most of the preseason.

This is standard clause in an AFL player's contract:

[A player can] not engage in any dangerous or hazardous activity, including but not limited to trail bike riding, professional boxing or wrestling, soccer, grid iron, karate, judo, hang gliding, parachuting, or bungee jumping, which, in the reasonable opinion of the AFL Club, may affect the player's ability to perform his obligations under this contract, without first obtaining the consent of the AFL Club, which consent shall not be unreasonably withheld.

Personally I couldn't give a rat's clacker what Heaney does but the water skiing thing hits close to home because of Ron. His death was a tragedy for our club.

ledge
11-05-2020, 07:14 PM
No, not at all. Heaney was saying that water skiing was perfectly safe when the lesson from Ron James is it's obviously not. He is an AFL player and gets paid accordingly. Risky behavior like that can wait until retirement. It was only last season that Ollie Wines dislocated his shoulder water skiing and missed most of the preseason.

This is standard clause in an AFL player's contract:

[A player can] not engage in any dangerous or hazardous activity, including but not limited to trail bike riding, professional boxing or wrestling, soccer, grid iron, karate, judo, hang gliding, parachuting, or bungee jumping, which, in the reasonable opinion of the AFL Club, may affect the player's ability to perform his obligations under this contract, without first obtaining the consent of the AFL Club, which consent shall not be unreasonably withheld.

Personally I couldn't give a rat's clacker what Heaney does but the water skiing thing hits close to home because of Ron. His death was a tragedy for our club.

The Murray is very dangerous for water skiing, do it in a safer lake or ocean