PDA

View Full Version : Dean Laidley arrested and remanded until May 11

Twodogs
03-05-2020, 08:27 PM
News services are saying that Laidley was arrested in st Kilda last night but they are being a bit coy about the charges.

Anyone know what it is he's done?

bornadog
03-05-2020, 08:29 PM
From Foxfooty:

Former North Melbourne coach Dean Laidley has been remanded in custody on one count of stalking and other charges yet to be revealed.The 1996 premiership player and father of three was arrested in St Kilda last night and will remain behind bars after not applying for bail today.

Laidley is charged with one count of stalking while more will be revealed about the other charges in court on May 11.

Watch Foxtel in an instant. Catch up and settle in with no installation & no lock-in contract. Sign up to all of Foxtel Now with a 10-day free trial. New customers only.

“Police arrested a 53-year-old man on Saturday 2 May in relation to an incident outside (an) address in St Kilda about 9pm,” Victoria Police said in a statement.

“He was charged with stalking and other matters.

“The Moonee Ponds man was held over to appear before Melbourne Magistrates’ Court today, Sunday 3 May.

“He was remanded to appear at the same court on 11 May.

“As the matter is before the court it would be inappropriate to comment further at this time.”

comrade
03-05-2020, 08:56 PM
Seen a very bizarre photo. Yikes.

Doggy
03-05-2020, 09:13 PM
Seen a very bizarre photo. Yikes.

Yes just saw that myself.
Each to there own I suppose.

NoseBleed
03-05-2020, 09:16 PM
If true, that photo is life imitating art re his nickname.

Hope he gets the help he may need.

ledge
03-05-2020, 09:39 PM
If true, that photo is life imitating art re his nickname.

Hope he gets the help he may need.

Which is ?

GVGjr
03-05-2020, 09:45 PM
Which is ?

The Junkyard Dog

Apparently he is in a bad way. I hope things turn around for him

ledge
03-05-2020, 10:03 PM
Saw some pretty damming and scary reports on him, hope it’s just crap.

chef
03-05-2020, 10:17 PM
The Cop whos released the photos needs to be stood down.

bornadog
03-05-2020, 11:37 PM
The Cop whos released the photos needs to be stood down.

Is it confirmed it was a police officer?

chef
04-05-2020, 12:00 AM
Is it confirmed it was a police officer?

From the images it looks like things only a cop would have access to. Interview room, computer screen etc

Rocket Science
04-05-2020, 12:16 AM
Laidley's lawyer is certainly alleging it was taken by a police officer.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-05-2020, 01:09 AM
Wow.

Twodogs
04-05-2020, 01:24 AM
I read he insisted on being put in a female cell.

Dry Rot
04-05-2020, 01:41 AM
I read he insisted on being put in a female cell.

This is getting odd.

comrade
04-05-2020, 06:41 AM
This is getting odd.

If the snippets that have already come out are any indication...it's about to get even odder.

GVGjr
04-05-2020, 09:14 AM
If the snippets that have already come out are any indication...it's about to get even odder.

It's unbelievable that the photo's and some of the details of the police discussions with him have been leaked from the police station and I question why some news services have run with the photo's and the story.

Ozza
04-05-2020, 09:26 AM
The rumours about Laidley cross dressing have been around for a long time. And whilst I have absolutely no problem if that’s his thing, to have it come out as splashed on the front of the herald sun along with commentary around an ice addiction and other details would be a harrowing ordeal for his family and friends.

Feel sorry for Laidley and all involved.

bornadog
04-05-2020, 09:33 AM
The rumours about Laidley cross dressing have been around for a long time. And whilst I have absolutely no problem if that’s his thing, to have it come out as splashed on the front of the herald sun along with commentary around an ice addiction and other details would be a harrowing ordeal for his family and friends.

I find comments on social media around this, immature and disgusting and no bodies business. As for the alleged leaking by Police, that is just not on and I hope the person (s) are dealt with swiftly.

comrade
04-05-2020, 09:45 AM
Whoever is responsible for the leaks within VicPol needs to get the arse as soon as they're identified. Disgraceful behaviour.

Axe Man
04-05-2020, 10:33 AM
At least we have Batman on the case...

Ex-North Melbourne coach Dean Laidley charged with stalking as interview photo is leaked (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/former-north-melbourne-coach-dean-laidley-in-custody-after-arrest/news-story/9b751115fe588a58cca9e05992f5b782)

Former North Melbourne coach Dean Laidley is behind bars after he was charged with a series of offences, including stalking.

The 53-year-old was arrested in St Kilda on Saturday night after police were called to an incident outside a residence about 9pm.

Photos of Laidley wearing a wig and female clothing at the time of his arrest emerged last night as news broke of his arrest.

The Herald Sun has been told the premiership player also allegedly demanded to be called Daniella while being interviewed at the police station.

Victoria Police last night confirmed an investigation had been launched into the dissemination of the images, including one from his official police file, on social media.

Leading Senior Constable Adam West confirmed Professional Standards Command has been notified.

The image is taken from outside the interview room and is not from the formal interview process.

Laidley’s lawyer, Dee Giannopoulos from Doogue and George, last night blasted the leaking of the image on to Twitter.

“Outraged that pictures of my client, taken by some police officer, on the sly, when in custody in interview have hit the media. Typical,” she wrote.

Lawyer Bill Doogue added: “Disgraceful. Taking photos unlawfully and sharing them. And these were sneaky photos while in police interview in police *!station by a police officer.”

Laidley was arrested and charged with stalking and other matters.

It was alleged on social media that Laidley was later strip searched and a bag of methamphetamine was found in his possession.

It was also alleged Laidley had made threats to kill.

Friends of Laidley told the Herald Sun they were aware of rumours of him cross dressing and that they were also aware he was using the drug ice.

He faced the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court yesterday but did not apply for bail.

Laidley is due to reappear at court next Monday, May 11.

Victoria Police said as the matter was before the court it would be inappropriate to comment.

Victoria’s leading civil liberties advocate last night blasted the leaked photographs of Laidley.

“The images circulating of a high-profile arrest today are a deplorable breach of privacy,” Liberty Victoria tweeted.

“The transphobic overtones only serve to make the breach even more egregious.

“Not good enough Victoria Police: we are watching,” the council wrote.

“Please deal with this unacceptable incident swiftly and properly.”

Former Kangaroos teammate Corey McKernan last night used social media to wish Laidley well. “Thoughts with a premiership brother tonight. No idea what’s happened or what’s lead (sic) to this but thoughts with you Laids, along with the Shinboner family,” McKernan wrote.

Laidley, who now lives in Moonee Ponds, played in the Kangaroos’ 1996 premiership team and then coached the club from 2003 to 2009.

He played 151 AFL games for West Coast and North Melbourne.

His 6½-year coaching stint at the Kangaroos ended with him resigning during the 2009 season.

Laidley was an assistant coach at Port Adelaide in 2010-11.

jeemak
04-05-2020, 11:25 AM
This is classic Vic Police, right at a moment when public goodwill and sympathies are with them some arse hat does this and reminds the public how grubby a very small portion of police can be.

GVGjr
04-05-2020, 11:51 AM
This is classic Vic Police, right at a moment when public goodwill and sympathies are with them some arse hat does this and reminds the public how grubby a very small portion of police can be.

Hopefully it's just a very small portion of the force and I would imagine someone will lose their job.

Twodogs
04-05-2020, 01:30 PM
This is getting odd.

Different strokes for different folks and all that. Somebody very close to me is gender dismorphic and it makes no difference to how much I love them. Doesn't even enter into the equation. In fact I am so *!*!*!*!ing proud of they and how brave they have been it makes me love them more.

Twodogs
04-05-2020, 01:32 PM
Whoever is responsible for the leaks within VicPol needs to get the arse as soon as they're identified. Disgraceful behaviour.

What they need is their arse handed to them on a plate.

I'd be happy to do the job.

Remi Moses
04-05-2020, 03:27 PM
Absolutely disgraceful behavior
I feel for his family and friends

Eastdog
04-05-2020, 03:29 PM
This is a case for ESD (Ethical Standards Department) to get onto. Very unethical.

Axe Man
04-05-2020, 04:04 PM
Former premiership star Dean Laidley is suffering from a psychiatric illness and was on bail when he was arrested on Saturday.

The Herald Sun can reveal Laidley’s lawyer, Dee Giannopoulos, told the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Sunday her client needed to see a mental health care nurse as soon as possible following his arrest on Saturday night.

The court also heard it was Laidley’s first time in custody.

Laidley did not apply for bail and was remanded to reappear via video link next Monday.

Laidley is charged with stalking under the crimes act, and other offences including commit an indictable offence whilst on bail.

The 53-year-old was *!arrested in St Kilda on Saturday night after police were called to an incident outside a residence about 9pm.

A senior police officer is facing potential time behind bars over leaked photos of Laidley while in custody.

A male Senior Constable from the southern metropolitan region has been suspended with pay over the scandal.

He has been interviewed for criminal conduct and could be charged with unauthorised disclosure of information.

The offence carries a two-year maximum jail term and $40, 000 in fines.

The officer will also face internal disciplinary action.

Deputy Commissioner Shane Patton offered a personal apology to Laidley over the gross breach of police conduct.

He said the leak was “unlawful” and investigators will leave no stone unturned in determining how the images got out.

The probe will also look into the motive of the leak, including whether transphobia was a factor.

“I am appalled an employee of Victoria Police has taken these photographs,” Mr Patton said.

“It is unacceptable conduct. It is appalling conduct and there is no place for it in our organisation.

“This is a breach of privacy, a breach of human rights and we are taking the matter extremely seriously.”

Investigators believe six other people were sent the photo of Laidley during his police interview and his official mugshot.

Deputy Commissioner said these people will be scrutinised and could face criminal charges.

The senior constable’s phone will be thoroughly “interrogated” as part of the investigation.

“We will be stepping through the entire process. We will be interrogating the phone of the member and looking at a forensic examination to see where this leads,” Mr Patton said.

The officer was interviewed by police today and was said to be remorseful for his actions.

He is cooperating with Professional Standard Command detectives.

Mr Patton apologised to Laidley on behalf of the force, vowing to make sure it never happens again.

“Clearly we have let down that person whose photos were taken. We have breached his privacy and I apologise on behalf of Victoria Police,” he said.

“That conduct should never occurred by an officer. But it has and all we can do now is take it as seriously as we can so we can take actions so everyone knows we view this as being totally unacceptable and totally appalling conduct,” he said.

Photos of Laidley wearing a wig and female clothing at the time of his arrest emerged and were widely shared on social media last night as news broke of his *!arrest.

The Herald Sun has been told the premiership player also allegedly demanded to be called Daniella while being interviewed at the police station.

The leaker who distributed former AFL player and coach Dean Laidley’s photos from inside a police station acted in an “idiotic” way, says Police Minister Lisa Neville.

Ms Neville said she expected Victoria Police to take “strong” action against the culprit to stamp out the behaviour.

“It was an idiotic thing to do,” Ms Neville said.

“This is completely unacceptable to breach privacy,” Ms Neville said.

“I understand from my discussions with the deputy commissioner an investigation is underway and fast action will be taken and we will go to that issue this afternoon.

“Police have absolutely taken seriously this is a real breach.

“It’s unacceptable. They’ve said that themselves.

“I think you will see this afternoon fast action as a result of that investigation will be taken.”

Ms Neville said she shocked the images had been leaked, but she believed the breach was more because of his footballing background rather than being a transphobic act.

Laidley was wearing women’s clothing when he was arrested and questioned at the weekend.

Ms Neville also said she was confident police command would take “strong” action today.

NORTH MELBOURNE VOWS TO SUPPORT LAIDLEY
Laidley’s former employers North Melbourne and the league’s playing and coach support groups will attempt to find ways to support him despite his dramatic descent.

The 53-year-old has been arrested for stalking, with his privacy then breached when photos of him dressed in women’s clothing last night were made public.

Former North Melbourne player Mark Brayshaw, now the AFL Coaches Association chief executive, told the Herald Sun the body was determined to help the former senior coach.

“His issues haven’t escaped our attention. We are in conversations with North Melbourne and the players association to try to work out the best way we can help him.”

Some of Laidley issues were known across the North Melbourne past players network but few were aware of the extent of them.

Past players spoken to today were shocked at his fall from grace and wondering if they could have done more to help him out.

But the man commonly known by players as “The Bible” given he was so hard to read was also seen as something of a loner who kept his own counsel.

Laidley took over as coach at Essendon District Football League Premier Division club Maribyrnong Park in 2019.

He steered the Lions to a sixth-placed finish in his first season at the helm after they waved goodbye to several big names.

When he was appointed in September, 2018, Laidley declared his desire to “build the football club into one of the elite clubs in the EDFL” and said he envisaged his stay at Monk Oval to be long term.

Maribyrnong Park is yet to make a decision about Laidley’s hold on the top job as suburban clubs prepare for a potential return to the field amid the coronavirus crisis.

“At this point, the club has no comment to make. Our position is no comment,” president Andrew Brockfield said.

“We won’t be offering any statements at this stage.”

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/former-north-melbourne-coach-dean-laidley-in-custody-after-arrest/news-story/9b751115fe588a58cca9e05992f5b782)

EasternWest
04-05-2020, 06:06 PM
I question why some news services have run with the photo's and the story.

Because they're massive, parasitic piles of shit.

westdog54
04-05-2020, 08:18 PM
This is a case for ESD (Ethical Standards Department) to get onto. Very unethical.

PSC these days Eastie. Professional Standards Command.

Hopefully it's just a very small portion of the force and I would imagine someone will lose their job.

Their job is the least of their worries.

They'll be going to court and I don't see a defence for them.

It is the height of stupidity and arrogance to think that the member involved:

A) Thought this was a good idea
B) Thought there would be no consequences for their actions.
C) Thought they wouldn't be found out.

I'm beyond pissed off right now.

Sedat
04-05-2020, 10:52 PM

I understand the gross invasion of privacy would be harrowing for Laidley's family but I struggle to find sympathy for Laidley who, if proven, has stalked and threatened to kill. Why are the anonymous victims in these cases almost always ignored when the alleged criminal is a high profile ex sportsman/actor/musician? There are tens of thousands of people suffering from mental illness in the community who do not stalk and threaten to kill other people.

I could care less about Laidley's personal life choices - as others have alluded, the cross dressing rumours have been around for well over 20 years - but the alleged criminal behaviour is what is reprehensible if proven to be true.

AndrewP6
05-05-2020, 12:31 AM
I understand the gross invasion of privacy would be harrowing for Laidley's family but I struggle to find sympathy for Laidley who, if proven, has stalked and threatened to kill. Why are the anonymous victims in these cases almost always ignored when the alleged criminal is a high profile ex sportsman/actor/musician? There are tens of thousands of people suffering from mental illness in the community who do not stalk and threaten to kill other people.

I could care less about Laidley's personal life choices - as others have alluded, the cross dressing rumours have been around for well over 20 years - but the alleged criminal behaviour is what is reprehensible if proven to be true.
Of course they are, but as of now, it is alleged, not proven.

The bolded bits are one of numerous things that make this thing so vile - it is unproven. Right now, he is entitled to a presumption of innocence. If allegations are proven, then whatever punishment is deemed necessary should be doled out. Until then, the facts are that some a-hole thought it was OK to take and distribute these images, or that he wouldn't get caught doing so, and that someone clearly suffering some sort of psychological issue can and should be the butt of jokes.

Topdog
05-05-2020, 12:40 AM
Of course they are, but as of now, it is alleged, not proven.

The bolded bits are one of numerous things that make this thing so vile - it is unproven. Right now, he is entitled to a presumption of innocence. If allegations are proven, then whatever punishment is deemed necessary should be doled out. Until then, the facts are that some a-hole thought it was OK to take and distribute these images, or that he wouldn't get caught doing so, and that someone clearly suffering some sort of psychological issue can and should be the butt of jokes.

Strangely enough if no photos were leaked Laidley would be getting absolutely no support at the moment from the football community due to the nature of the charges.

Eastdog
05-05-2020, 12:59 AM
Because they're massive, parasitic piles of shit.

I used to like it when the news was just 30 minutes long not 1 hour long.

Dry Rot
05-05-2020, 02:14 AM
Strangely enough if no photos were leaked Laidley would be getting absolutely no support at the moment from the football community due to the nature of the charges.

What are the charges?

GVGjr
05-05-2020, 03:25 AM

I still think he'd be getting some support but it would only from his closest allies. The mental health challenges that have been mentioned will be taken into consideration

GVGjr
05-05-2020, 03:27 AM
What are the charges?

Laidley now faces “seven charges all up”, including: One each of stalking, committing an indictable offence while on bail and persistent breach of a family violence order and four other intervention order breaches.

bornadog
05-05-2020, 10:08 AM

You watch the wrong TV Station

The Bulldogs Bite
05-05-2020, 11:22 AM

This sums up my thoughts too.

GVGjr
05-05-2020, 11:48 AM
Terry Wallace raises an interesting question about why so many coaches seem to struggle.
By his reckoning there have been 5 in recent years (Laidley, Thompson, Frawley, Hird and Walsh)

I know it's a very demanding industry but coaches receive substantially more training than the vast majority of the community and yet many are struggling with their decision making. They should be able to see the signs and seek help before it escalates to the point where someone's life is in danger or even their own.

jeemak
05-05-2020, 12:07 PM
Terry Wallace raises an interesting question about why so many coaches seem to struggle.
By his reckoning there have been 5 in recent years (Laidley, Thompson, Frawley, Hird and Walsh)

I know it's a very demanding industry but coaches receive substantially more training than the vast majority of the community and yet many are struggling with their decision making. They should be able to see the signs and seek help before it escalates to the point where someone's life is in danger or even their own.

What was Phil Walsh struggling with? Was James Hird struggling before his life was ripped to shreds (albeit largely of his own doing)?

These are genuine questions. I know Frawley had been struggling with depression for a number of years, but was that actually linked to coaching?

What drives the personality traits of the likes of Laidley and Thompson? Are they drawn to coaching because of who they inherently are?

I think coaches have a hugely stressful job, though I don't know whether this type of questioning from Wallace is actually useful or relevant right now.

GVGjr
05-05-2020, 01:21 PM
I think Walsh was regarded as a workaholic and had a lot of trouble relaxing and Hird obviously suffered depression after the fiasco at Essendon

bornadog
05-05-2020, 01:35 PM
I think Walsh was regarded as a workaholic and had a lot of trouble relaxing and Hird obviously suffered depression after the fiasco at Essendon

Surely you can't add Walsh in there. He had a son with a mental illness who killed him.

jeemak
05-05-2020, 01:57 PM

Thanks. I wasn't sure if I missed something with Walsh.

Grant Thomas commented after he retired about his issues with sleeping and self medicating with wine a lot to make the music stop pretty regularly.

bornadog
05-05-2020, 01:59 PM

Grant Thomas commented after he retired about his issues with sleeping and self medicating with wine a lot to make the music stop pretty regularly.

Those things have been happening for the last 150 years. Terry is just talking rubbish.

Twodogs
05-05-2020, 02:01 PM
Surely you can't add Walsh in there. He had a son with a mental illness who killed him.

Yeah but how much of that was abandonment syndrome from barely ever seeing his dad? If you are already a little bit do-lally and your dad seems to value his job more than his relationship with you, well then...

GVGjr
05-05-2020, 02:02 PM

It's Ploughs list but I think Walsh had some other challenges.

GVGjr
05-05-2020, 02:03 PM

He apparently would often wake at 2am and go into work. He could never switch off

Twodogs
05-05-2020, 02:04 PM
Those things have been happening for the last 150 years. Terry is just talking rubbish.

Plough isn't given to talking rubbish so why would he start now? I would think he has a much better handle on this situation than the rest of us.

GVGjr
05-05-2020, 02:09 PM
Not sure you would say that as he seems to be genuinely concerned why coaches are stuggling

Twodogs
05-05-2020, 02:11 PM
It's Ploughs list but I think Walsh had some other challenges.

Tunnel vision. Not the actual medical meaning of tunnel vision but the other one where you can't see anything but the target and everything else (personal relationships especially) suffers.

ledge
05-05-2020, 03:20 PM
None of the charges mention drugs that I have seen, it’s mostly been AVO related.
Reading the media/social media drugs is mentioned.. bullshit rumours?
Is there a list of charges or they haven’t finished with all the charges ?

bornadog
05-05-2020, 03:31 PM
None of the charges mention drugs that I have seen, it’s mostly been AVO related.

Don't believe he has been charged with any drug related offences.

As it stands:
Laidley faces seven charges, including one each of stalking, committing an indictable offence while on bail and persistent breach of a family violence order and four other intervention order breaches.

All looks like domestic issues.

Axe Man
05-05-2020, 03:44 PM

Might not have been charged with anything drug related but it's clear they play a part of his issues from the reports. Friends were trying to get him into rehab.

Twodogs
05-05-2020, 03:56 PM

I read that his mum and Corey McKernan begged him to go into rehab. Ironically I was in rehab myself last week and if he had done his stint we would have been in together! That would have been interesting.

comrade
05-05-2020, 04:03 PM
I read that his mum and Corey McKernan begged him to go into rehab. Ironically I was in rehab myself last week and if he had done his stint we would have been in together! That would have been interesting.

Everything alright, mate?

Twodogs
05-05-2020, 04:15 PM
Everything alright, mate?

I'm fine thanks Comrade. I just had to get my head down and break the cycle. Synthetic cannabis is a real bastard but now it's behind me. If there is one thing I am good at is staying on the wagon.

comrade
05-05-2020, 04:22 PM
I'm fine thanks Comrade. I just had to get my head down and break the cycle. Synthetic cannabis is a real bastard but now it's behind me. If there is one thing I am good at is staying on the wagon.

Well done, facing it head on. Onward and upwards.

Twodogs
05-05-2020, 04:30 PM
Well done, facing it head on. Onward and upwards.

Cheers mate.

Axe Man
05-05-2020, 05:05 PM

I don't think that is quite right, sounds like this came as a shock to his poor mum back in Perth.

Hope you are doing well TD.

Dean Laidley’s friends ‘deeply concerned’ before former AFL star’s arrest (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/dean-laidleys-friends-deeply-concerned-before-former-afl-stars-arrest/news-story/adce9c1427ed8c961d9aa3bbb514a331)

Friends of former AFL Premiership star Dean Laidley were deeply concerned about his out of control drug use a fortnight ago and urged him to enter rehab before his dramatic arrest on Saturday.

Laidley has now spent a third night behind bars as his mother told the Herald Sun she was “absolutely devastated” and wants him to know his family are sticking by him.

Speaking from her home in Perth’s northern suburbs, Carmel Friberg said she was “just as gobsmacked as everyone” that the 53-year-old former North Melbourne player had been charged with a string of serious crimes including stalking, committing an indictable offence while on bail and other offences.

Ms Friberg last saw her son in Perth at Christmas but spoke to him last week in the days leading up to the arrest.

She and the family were yesterday struggling to understand how the caring father-of-three — who has been checking in regularly with Ms Friberg during the coronavirus pandemic — fell from grace.

“He was here at Christmas time — he wasn’t well but he was OK and I spoke to him on Wednesday and he seemed to be OK,” said Ms Friberg, 75.

“I’m just absolutely devastated because it’s just not him, it’s not him at all,” she said.

Ms Friberg, who has not spoken to her son since the arrest, said she was at a complete loss as to what triggered his alleged behaviour.

The Herald Sun has been told friends of the fallen star had become increasingly concerned about his behaviour in the past two weeks and had urged him to seek professional help.

The former Kangaroos coach was seen dishevelled and dressed in women’s clothing when police arrested him outside a St Kilda home about 9pm on Saturday.

The Herald Sun can also reveal his lawyer told Melbourne Magistrates’ Court he was suffering from a psychiatric illness and requested an urgent mental health assessment during a hearing at the weekend.

In custody management records, Deputy Magistrate Jelena Popovic also noted Laidley could be vulnerable because it was his first time in custody.

Laidley’s premiership teammate Corey McKernan said former players were deeply concerned about him.

“He is someone who played at North Melbourne and did an incredible job as an under-resourced coach during his tenure. But he has lost his way and everyone is thinking of him and wants to see him get right,” he said.

Former North Melbourne player Mark Brayshaw, now the AFL Coaches Association chief executive, told the Herald Sun the body was determined to help the former senior coach.

“His issues haven’t escaped our attention. We are in conversations with North Melbourne and the players association to try to work out the best way we can help him,” Mr Brayshaw said.

The Herald Sun has been told many in the AFL community had known that Laidley had quirky lifestyle tendencies as early as his playing days, which continued when he was the coach of North Melbourne for 149 games between 2003-2009.

Some of Laidley’s alleged issues were known across the North Melbourne past players network but few were aware of the extent of them.

Past players spoken to yesterday were shocked and wondering if they could have done more to help him out.

But the man – commonly known by players as “The Bible” given he was so hard to read – was also seen as something of a loner who kept his own counsel.

In a podcast last week, Laidley said: “You are stuck at home because of the restrictions, then you don’t have footy so I’m actually breaking my neck for it to start.”

Laidley took over as coach at Essendon District Football League Premier Division club Maribyrnong Park in 2019.

The club is yet to make a decision about Laidley’s role as suburban clubs prepare for a potential return to the field amid the coronavirus crisis.

“At this point, the club has no comment to make. Our position is no comment,” president Andrew Brockfield said yesterday.

Laidley will return to court on Monday where he will appear via video link.

Twodogs
05-05-2020, 08:02 PM
I don't think that is quite right, sounds like this came as a shock to his poor mum back in Perth.

I'd argue my case but I've been accused of being oppositional in the last week (although i KNEW that it was North Korea and NOT South Korea that lost to Brazil 1-0 in 2010 that I just can't be bothered. Ironically some people just won't listen...*

*not you, the nurse at the detox. Just. would. not. listen. ;)

EasternWest
05-05-2020, 08:54 PM

I used to like when I still thought news was news. I don't know if I've just had my eyes opened by recent events that directly effect me, or if I've just got older and more able to see through the crap.

News isn't news. It's opinion influenced by corporate/political overlords. It's total garbage.

jeemak
05-05-2020, 08:59 PM
I used to like when I still thought news was news. I don't know if I've just had my eyes opened by recent events that directly effect me, or if I've just got older and more able to see through the crap.

News isn't news. It's opinion influenced by corporate/political overlords. It's total garbage.

Politics isn't though. I mean sure the objectivity of news is drastically varied depending on the level of corporate sponsorship driven towards it, but relax, it's just not the same for our political parties that irrespective of huge corporate donors lining their pockets can put us good citizens first in all matters...…….

PS, that's not a political post.

bornadog
05-05-2020, 09:42 PM

I watch Aljazeera everynight and prefer it to any of the local stuff. I like to listen to the 7:45am news on ABC Radio Melbourne, and basically the nightly news doesn't report much more than that.

GVGjr
06-05-2020, 01:34 AM
Malthouse on Laidley

Dean Laidley’s former coach and colleague Mick Malthouse has opened up about the “terrific bloke” he knew during their time together in footy and suspects the pressures of AFL coaching have taken their toll on the 53-year-old.

Ex-North Melbourne premiership player and coach Laidley was arrested outside a home in St Kilda on Saturday night and will remain in custody until May 11 after not applying for bail, having been charged with stalking and other offences.

Victoria Police has suspended a Senior Constable and is investigating further after photos of Laidley in custody were leaked. One image shows him wearing a long, blonde wig and a black dress while another picture appears to be of a computer screen displaying Laidley’s official mug shot.

Malthouse coached Laidley after arriving at West Coast in 1990, and hired him as an assistant coach when he moved to Collingwood and later Carlton.

In an interview today with 3AW’s Neil Mitchell, Malthouse gave an insight into Laidley’s personality and also outlined some of the difficulties he’s faced over the years.

According to the legendary coach, Laidley was ferociously competitive as a player and “very loyal”, but took a while to warm to people.

“He would stop, assess, wait and then form a judgment before he was able to open up, and that was just his mannerism,” Malthouse said.

“He just didn’t accept people until he worked them out.”

Malthouse said his last “good conversation” with Laidley was when they had lunch shortly after the veteran mentor was sacked as Carlton coach in 2015. Laidley, considered a brilliant tactician during his time in charge of the Kangaroos from 2003-2009, was working alongside Malthouse at the Blues after stints at Port Adelaide and St Kilda, but left the AFL system at the same time and never returned.

Malthouse tried to keep in touch with Laidley, but the phone calls only ran one way. He added Laidley was, for a time, “quite ill”, which was compounded by the stress of looking after his son Kane, who The Australian reports had “endured his share of legal troubles in recent years”.

“I spoke to him on the phone a couple of times but then it just dried up. (I) Left messages, but there was nothing in return,” Malthouse said.

“He was quite ill there at one stage. I don’t know exactly what it was but he was in immense pain and I remember him saying that he was on these painkillers and it was quite debilitating.

“Of course he had issues with his son so he’s been through a hell of a lot.”

The Herald Sun reports Laidley’s lawyer told Melbourne Magistrates’ Court the footy icon was suffering from a psychiatric illness after his arrest on the weekend. Malthouse said he wasn’t aware of such a condition, but could understand how Laidley would have been carrying a heavy emotional burden.

“The pressure that he was under both physically, mentally, at home with one of his children and the fact he was trying to make ends meet and he had this disease, I wouldn’t have thought that would have done the mind any good at all,” Malthouse said.

“As it grabs hold of you, coaching, it’s more relentless and it’s more demanding. You’ve got to have a really good partner, good family and an understanding family otherwise you’re trying to … please those at home, those at the football club, those in the media.

“You do get very isolated very quickly in coaching.”

Although Laidley has been out of AFL circles for several years, he returned to coaching with suburban club Maribyrnong Park last year and said in a recent podcast for the Essendon District Football League he was enjoying holding the clipboard again in a more relaxed environment.

“I made sure that they (semi-professional players) didn’t have the opinion or view of this psycho who used to coach in the AFL, because I was way past that,” Laidley said.

“Out of my 32 years of senior professional football, I reckon last year was probably in the top five or six years that I had … I just enjoyed it so much.

“It was a great playing group, very coachable, probably too coachable and too nice, so we have a bit of work to do there.”

When asked if there is enough support offered to coaches, Malthouse, who was a top-level instructor for more than 30 years, said although the AFL Coaches Association tries its best, it has “limited resources”.

He added he had seen so often during his lengthy career how coaches can be chewed up and spat out by the system that constantly demands results.

“They (coaches) just absorb it, the family absorbs it and then something cracks, something gives way,” Malthouse said.

“I can categorically tell you the number of coaches that I know who have come in and gone out of the game, and I look at them and they age very, very quickly. They become old men quickly.”

The AFL Coaches Association and North Melbourne, along with the AFL Players Association, have said they will work together to try and help Laidley.

Former Western Bulldogs and Richmond coach Terry Wallace says he is “seriously disturbed” by what’s happened with AFL coaches in recent years. Ex-Geelong mentor and Essendon assistant Mark Thompson, who was caught up in the Bombers’ supplements saga, faced court last year on a drug trafficking charge that was eventually dismissed, but was fined for drug possession.

Essendon icon James Hird, who was a central figure in the supplements scandal, overdosed on sleeping pills in 2017 and spent time in a mental health facility for depression.

Port Adelaide legend Kane Cornes called on the AFL and the Coaches Association to do more to help coaches when they fall on hard times.

“The AFL needs to take some responsibility (as does the) the Coaches Association to make sure we are supporting these coaches who do lose their job in the industry, and there’s going to be more of them, to make sure that they are OK,” Cornes said on Footy Classified on Monday night.

The bulldog tragician
06-05-2020, 01:55 PM
It is all quite distressing to read.

In the sensationalism about his state of mind, it can't be overlooked that he has been charged with indictable offence - the most serious type of charges. We don't of course know the details but let's hope when it does all emerge, the right balance is found about concerns for his mental health AND the impact on those he is accused of stalking. Because in all the 'looking after our footy mate' stuff what they may have been going through shouldn't be overlooked either.

The fact that coaches aged in their 50s, who've led 'apparently'** successful lives are hooked by the sort of illegal drugs that overall we assume are associated with younger people in the community is really troubling. I keep thinking of Mark Thompson, then still coach of the Bombres, turning up smashed at their B&F, delivering a weird embarrassing and rambling speech. (http://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/how-footy-legend-bomber-thompson-fell-in-with-drug-traffickers-and-became-a-convicted-criminal-20190712-p526ns.html) It's not exactly what you'd be hoping for if your 18 yr old son had just left home to play footy and was witnessing this behaviour of the so-called leaders and mentors.

Remi Moses
06-05-2020, 07:47 PM
I tend to agree on some help for coaches and players for that matter
Alarm bells for me was when Wayne Brittain years ago said he’d wake up at 3 am every morning and watch video of games
Stress levels must be incredible

chef
20-11-2021, 09:07 AM
How good was it seeing Laidley back at North and being comfortable in his own skin. Was a great day for the club being debt free and putting an arm around a former employee.

Twodogs
20-11-2021, 01:12 PM
How good was it seeing Laidley back at North and being comfortable in his own skin. Was a great day for the club being debt free and putting an arm around a former employee.

It was really good to see.

I was watching the news with my mum and they'd had a story featuring Brad Scott and rule changes just before the North story. Mum pointed at Brad Scott and said "does he ever smile? He always looks like a slapped cat's arse" then the next story was the North story and Brad Scott was smiling!

westdog54
20-11-2021, 08:19 PM
It was really good to see.

I was watching the news with my mum and they'd had a story featuring Brad Scott and rule changes just before the North story. Mum pointed at Brad Scott and said "does he ever smile? He always looks like a slapped cat's arse" then the next story was the North story and Brad Scott was smiling!

It's a massive step for Dani. To be able to step out in public like that after everything that's happened.

I don't think I've ever been as ashamed and angry as I was when I heard about her treatment while in custody.

Twodogs
20-11-2021, 08:50 PM
It's a massive step for Dani. To be able to step out in public like that after everything that's happened.

I don't think I've ever been as ashamed and angry as I was when I heard about her treatment while in custody.

Yep it was a pretty ordinary act taking and sharing a photo like that at a pretty low ebb for her. Something similar happened just recently at the spring carnival too didn't it?

Still it's good to see that she seems to be in a better place now.

jeemak
20-11-2021, 09:50 PM
It's great to see Laidley out and about and looking happier. It will be even better when the media don't make a carnival out of it and it's not considered a novelty.

merantau
24-11-2021, 11:11 PM
I always admired him as a footballer. Rake thin, tons of guts. And it shows in the world outside football too. It's a good news story

Grantysghost
24-11-2021, 11:13 PM
As long as he's ok inside, I couldn't give two knobs of nanny goat shit what he wants to look like outside.

1eyedog
25-11-2021, 10:35 PM
It's great to see Laidley out and about and looking happier. It will be even better when the media don't make a carnival out of it and it's not considered a novelty.

Was great to see.