PDA

View Full Version : Which two for round 1?

Sockeye Salmon
28-02-2008, 06:25 PM
So far, with who's going to be unavailable and those who are hopelessly out of form, I think our starting 18 for round 1 will include:

Murphy, Cross, Boyd, Johnson, West, Hahn, Gilbee, Eagleton, Hudson, Griffen, Cooney, Higgins, Akermanis, Hargrave, Minson, Welsh, Lake and Morris.

I've pencilled in Harbrow and Hill on the bench, but I need 2 more.

Assuming Ray, Williams, Giansiracusa, Reid, Wood & Skipper are injured/not match fit, I am struggling to find 2 guys who deserve a spot.

Ward, Grant, O'Keefe, Mulligan, Boumann, Shaw and White would have played by now if they were going to be considered (I notice Ward, O'Keefe & Mulligan are named for tomorrow).

So which 2 out of:
Everitt
Street
Stack
Addison
Mcdougall
Callan
Tiller
Lynch
O'Shea

None of them deserve a game but two of them will get one.

Dry Rot
28-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Which category does Wight fit into? Without him, we have only 2 KPPs in Lake and Minson.

dogman
28-02-2008, 06:52 PM
surely everett, what has he done wrong. I would say he is in our first 18. & would be in our top 10 by next year. Addison would be my next pick.

The Coon Dog
28-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Settle down SS, there's another 2 practice matches to go yet. Plenty of time for one or two to step up, or one or two to pick up a niggle in that time.

hujsh
28-02-2008, 07:36 PM
surely everett, what has he done wrong. I would say he is in our first 18. & would be in our top 10 by next year. Addison would be my next pick.

His form has not been inspiring at all so far

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-02-2008, 07:58 PM
His form has not been inspiring at all so far

He's certainly going to have to show something in the remaining praccy matches to guarantee his spot come Round 1.
We really can't afford to have Everrit to suffer the dreaded second year blues..
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that if Ward and or O'Keefe have a couple of good practice games either one might be a bolter... or maybe an Emergency spot.
Against a running Adelaide though and with the need for the team to get off to a good start, Eade may not want to risk playing a 1st gamer.

LostDoggy
28-02-2008, 08:37 PM
So far, with who's going to be unavailable and those who are hopelessly out of form

I'm not sure that pre-season matches are all that great form indicators, as everyone is at different stages of their preparation, so appearances can be quite misleading. Many on this forum have already, for example, panned Andrew Mac for getting pasted by Lucas, but -- for argument's sake -- Lucas has had a far shorter pre-season, and thus less of a taper for the season, while many of the Dogs have been in training since October (!) and thus potentially need a far longer taper to be right for Round 1, and depending on individual training schedules, Andrew may have been in a deep fatigue cycle that had a game factored in for his match fitness while Lucas may have been super-fresh now but struggling to see the season through (hypothetically). (This is not to say that Lucas is not a superior player, just making a point.)

Just saying that the pre-season's only purpose is to get players physically right for the long season ahead. I know that we've been starved of footy for a while and with the bad end to the previous season we're all anxious to see the Dogs go well first up, but I would suspend judgment till the real shouting starts before getting to excitable.

Carlton won the last two NABs, remember.

LostDoggy
28-02-2008, 10:36 PM
I think Eade will play Street. My worriy is I think 2 rucks and a FF lumberer make us look slow.

Dry Rot
28-02-2008, 10:44 PM
I think Eade will play Street. My worriy is I think 2 rucks and a FF lumberer make us look slow.

ES,

I know where you are coming from.

Is it a by-product of Minson at FF ie if we're serious about this, then we have to leave him there?

And if we leave him there, who plays ruck when Hudson goes to the bench?

LostDoggy
28-02-2008, 10:56 PM
ES,

I know where you are coming from.

Is it a by-product of Minson at FF ie if we're serious about this, then we have to leave him there?

And if we leave him there, who plays ruck when Hudson goes to the bench?

I think its more a by product of Street not being that good. He is only there to give Hudson a rest.

Minson at FF a gamble worth trying.

Dry Rot
28-02-2008, 11:01 PM
I think its more a by product of Street not being that good. He is only there to give Hudson a rest.

Minson at FF a gamble worth trying.

Maybe, but who else relieves Hudson if we leave Minson at FF?

bornadog
28-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Maybe, but who else relieves Hudson if we leave Minson at FF?

We have rucked Wight a few times, so it may mean a rotation so that we don't actually go with a big CHF and FF. Which means one of them is always either on the bench or resting up forward ie betweem Hudson, Wight, and Minson.

Dry Rot
28-02-2008, 11:48 PM
We have rucked Wight a few times, so it may mean a rotation so that we don't actually go with a big CHF and FF. Which means one of them is always either on the bench or resting up forward ie betweem Hudson, Wight, and Minson.

IIRC Wight as a ruck wasn't a success?

bornadog
29-02-2008, 12:02 AM
IIRC Wight as a ruck wasn't a success?

Your right it wasn't a success, but he can fill in if Rocket believes he is too top heavy having Hudson, Minson, Street, Wight. I was just preempting what might happen.

Sockeye Salmon
29-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Settle down SS, there's another 2 practice matches to go yet. Plenty of time for one or two to step up, or one or two to pick up a niggle in that time.

I'm relying on them.

I want to see plenty more from Everitt and if Mcdougall can have a couple of decent games as well I'll feel a whole lot better.

Street is a liability but might get a go so Minson can stay at FF. Adelaide will be using two young rucks that we should be able to exploit.

LostDoggy
29-02-2008, 01:41 AM
I still reckon Street is unfairly beaten up on. He was a big reason for our 2006 season and spent most of last year under an injury cloud and never got out of 2nd gear - this stemmed from pre-season.

But before you jump on my back, i agree he's a class below. But i reckon he's of the age now that ruckman peak and can hold down a 2nd string ruckman position. Hell, he even took more marks in the forward 50 then our CHF Wight last week. Nice kick as well....look out Dean Cox!

Go_Dogs
29-02-2008, 09:53 AM
The 18 looks about right, and I guess you'd say we'd probably want a ruck and perhaps another tall option on the bench to compliment Harbrow and Hill. Street looks to be the favored ruck at this stage, and either one of Everitt/McDougall will most likely get the other tall position - whoever finishes off the pre-season in the best form I guess.

Mantis
29-02-2008, 03:26 PM
My team for round 1 looks something like this at present:

B: Morris, Lake, Hargrave
HB: Gilbee, McDougall, Everitt
C: Akermanis, Boyd, Griffen
HF: Murphy, Wight, Johnson
F: Welsh, Minson, Higgins
R: Hudson, Cross, Cooney
Int: Hahn, Hill, West, Harbrow
Emer: Tiller, Eagleton, Addison

Inj. Williams, Giansiracusa, Ray

Eagleton will probably find a spot in the 22 somewhere, but I would prefer to try Harbrow and Hill first up.

Backline spots up for grabs, would want McDougall and Everitt to show some improvement in next 2 practice matches.

The Underdog
29-02-2008, 03:34 PM

Eagleton will probably find a spot in the 22 somewhere, but I would prefer to try Harbrow and Hill first up.

Backline spots up for grabs, would want McDougall and Everitt to show some improvement in next 2 practice matches.

I reckon you're pretty close, although I think Eags will play before Hill. Higgins is another that'd want to show something in the next 2 weeks, laying his first tackle'd be a start. Also don't discount Tiller for a defensive job if we are running short down there.

Mantis
29-02-2008, 04:04 PM
I reckon you're pretty close, although I think Eags will play before Hill. Higgins is another that'd want to show something in the next 2 weeks, laying his first tackle'd be a start. Also don't discount Tiller for a defensive job if we are running short down there.

Your probably right there, but I would prefer to give the younger player the first opportunity. I think we all know that Eagleton will do ok, but has his limitations whereas Hill is a bit of an unknown. I think Hill's over head ability could be handy as a one on one option on the wing or even a flank, but would like him to build on his perfomances over the next 2 games.

Higgins is a worry, bloody talented, but doesn't seem to work hard enough. Given that he might have been a bit sore last week would look for him to show a bit more tonight and next week prior to rd 1.

Yeah I had Tiller as an emergency and would think he would come into the side if Everitt and McDougall continue there struggle with form, but think they should be ok with a couple of more games under there belt.

The Underdog
29-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Your probably right there, but I would prefer to give the younger player the first opportunity. I think we all know that Eagleton will do ok, but has his limitations whereas Hill is a bit of an unknown. I think Hill's over head ability could be handy as a one on one option on the wing or even a flank, but would like him to build on his perfomances over the next 2 games.

Higgins is a worry, bloody talented, but doesn't seem to work hard enough. Given that he might have been a bit sore last week would look for him to show a bit more tonight and next week prior to rd 1.

Yeah I had Tiller as an emergency and would think he would come into the side if Everitt and McDougall continue there struggle with form, but think they should be ok with a couple of more games under there belt.

I don't disagree with you on Hill over Eags, but think it might happen later in the year rather than earlier. We certainly know what Eags brings to the table and also where he's likely to let us down. He'll be in danger if he doesn't do the team things every week. I'm hoping Everitt last week was an abberation and not the start of a rot. Eade definitely seems to have been throwing Tiller around a bit so far this pre-season, so he's obviously trying to get a bit of versatility into his game.
I think while Doogs will never be a star, he's been a bit unfairly maligned for last week. He played his first game in 6 months on Scott Lucas and made some poor errors but it's not worth hanging the man on. He'll certainly get a few chances as I can't see Williams playing straight up without some practice games.

Scorlibo
29-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Higgins is another that'd want to show something in the next 2 weeks, laying his first tackle'd be a start.

Higgins laid 38 tackles last year at an average of 1.9 according to footywire. http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--shaun-higgins

The Underdog
29-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Higgins laid 38 tackles last year at an average of 1.9 according to footywire. http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--shaun-higgins

You've won this round Stats Man, but when Higgins refuses to chase in the first quarter of Round One leading to an easy possession for his opponent, then world domination will be mine...MWAHAHAHA

LostDoggy
29-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Not sure if Hill will get a run. He has do more than a speccy mark and a soccer goal. His attack on the ball in the 3rd quarter was poor. He does have a nice set of hands, he took 2 strong grabs when he played against WCE

Mantis
29-02-2008, 06:01 PM
I think while Doogs will never be a star, he's been a bit unfairly maligned for last week. He played his first game in 6 months on Scott Lucas and made some poor errors but it's not worth hanging the man on. He'll certainly get a few chances as I can't see Williams playing straight up without some practice games.

Agree. I see Doogs playing as our third tall defender behind Lake and Williams. In such a role he will not be expected to pick up the best or 2nd best tall forward like he had to last week. I thought Doogs was one of the few positives over the last month last year and hope last week didn't dent his confidence too much.

LostDoggy
29-02-2008, 06:10 PM

I reckon that is pretty close. Will depend on McDougall and Wight showing some better form in the last couple of practice matches.

The Dogfather
29-02-2008, 07:08 PM
I still reckon Street is unfairly beaten up on. He was a big reason for our 2006 season and spent most of last year under an injury cloud and never got out of 2nd gear - this stemmed from pre-season.

But before you jump on my back, i agree he's a class below. But i reckon he's of the age now that ruckman peak and can hold down a 2nd string ruckman position. Hell, he even took more marks in the forward 50 then our CHF Wight last week. Nice kick as well....look out Dean Cox!

Street's deficiencies around the ground let him down and I do think we're a better looking team when he's not in it BUT if we're in the position of having to play him as our 2nd ruckman I'd like to see him rested in the square as opposed to the bench. He can actually kick a ball and as long as the delivery is aimed at the top of his head all he really needs to do it put his hands in the air and hang on!

bornadog
29-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Not sure if Hill will get a run. He has do more than a speccy mark and a soccer goal. His attack on the ball in the 3rd quarter was poor. He does have a nice set of hands, he took 2 strong grabs when he played against WCE

I think Addison will get a run before Hill

LostDoggy
29-02-2008, 10:25 PM
According to reports Eade loves Addison so I reckon he's be a good bet to play round 1.

I'm neutral on him but he does go hard at it which is something we need a bit more of.

Mofra
01-03-2008, 01:30 PM
According to reports Eade loves Addison so I reckon he's be a good bet to play round 1.

I'm neutral on him but he does go hard at it which is something we need a bit more of.
Yup, goes in hard. My only worry about DFA us that he has "Cam Faulkner" syndrome, ie he will go in & get the hard ball but can't get easier possies/provide a link man option.

Strange really, as his "dashes off the HB line" were noted as a reason he was drafted in the first place.

Bulldog Revolution
03-03-2008, 12:16 PM

HB: Gilbee, McDougall, Griffen
C: Akermanis, Boyd, Harbrow
Int: Hahn, Eagleton, West, Street
Emer: Addison, Tiller, Hill,

Injury worries - Will Lake be right?

For my money Everitt will not play - just hasn't had a good preseason in the actual games would be better suited finding form at VFL level IMO.

I initially saw Addison getting an opportunity to cement a spot in the team against Adelaide, but it will either come down to him or Harbrow, so maybe Harbrow has the edge. In some ways Addison might also be better starting at VFL level and getting his confidence up

I also see Street playing - IMO hes actually looked pretty good in the preseason, has palmed the ball well and taking a couple of grabs up forward and converted.

I've been really pleased with the improvement shown by Tiller and I look forward to him hitting the ground running in the VFL as I hope he puts together some excellent senior footy there in 08 before forcing his way into the AFL

bornadog
06-03-2008, 02:20 PM
HB: Gilbee, McDougall, Griffen
C: Akermanis, Boyd, Harbrow
Int: Hahn, Eagleton, West, Street
Emer: Addison, Tiller, Hill,

Injury worries - Will Lake be right?