PDA

View Full Version : Watching the Footy on TV

bornadog
20-05-2020, 03:20 PM
Round one was weird watching the game with no crowds and no noise other than the players yelling out. On the other hand it can be annoying listening to some of the commentators. +

I remember the old Foxfooty channel where they had a feature where you can watch games with different camera angles and you can choose to turn off the commentary and just listen to the crowd.

What do you think about Seven's idea of some fake crowd noise in the background?

How do you enjoy watching games and will you be able to watch the remainder of the season with no crowds at all?

Personally it doesn't worry me that much, although I do prefer crowds.

Twodogs
20-05-2020, 03:40 PM
I'd love to have an option of no commentary, just crowd noise.

As an aside I have never been able to figure out why the networks go to all the trouble and expense of sending commentary teams all over Australia to commentate the games. Wouldn't it be cheaper to have either a dedicated team or teams in each state, ie one in Sydney, one in Brisbane, one in Perth and one in Adelaide (which I think is how ABC radio mostly do it) or have them in a studio calling the games off screens?

Is there a perception of bias? I know that Basil Zemplas's (now theres a commentator I'd like to able to switch off) typically one eyed commentary drives me to distraction-he does everything but yell ballllll!

Does anyone know how the technical crews that do the vision and sound work? Is there one in each state or do they have a couple of dedicated crews that fly all over the country? I suppose the Tasmanian and the NT (and the China and Ballarat games have to be covered.) They must send a pretty big crew to China. Filming AFL would be a pretty specialized job, you couldn't just leave it to the locals.

Remi Moses
20-05-2020, 03:40 PM
I think they’re left with no choice but fake crowd noise
The after goal lack of noise resonated most with me from R1

Twodogs
20-05-2020, 03:47 PM

At least it would be something to hear other than Bruce's voice.

bornadog
20-05-2020, 04:50 PM
I'd love to have an option of no commentary, just crowd noise.

As an aside I have never been able to figure out why the networks go to all the trouble and expense of sending commentary teams all over Australia to commentate the games. Wouldn't it be cheaper to have either a dedicated team or teams in each state, ie one in Sydney, one in Brisbane, one in Perth and one in Adelaide (which I think is how ABC radio mostly do it) or have them in a studio calling the games off screens?

Is there a perception of bias? I know that Basil Zemplas's (now theres a commentator I'd like to able to switch off) typically one eyed commentary drives me to distraction-he does everything but yell ballllll!

Does anyone know how the technical crews that do the vision and sound work? Is there one in each state or do they have a couple of dedicated crews that fly all over the country? I suppose the Tasmanian and the NT (and the China and Ballarat games have to be covered.) They must send a pretty big crew to China. Filming AFL would be a pretty specialized job, you couldn't just leave it to the locals.

Both Seven and Foxtel will be calling the games from the studio and not attend games.

ReLoad
20-05-2020, 06:41 PM

Did we kick a goal? ;)

Eastdog
21-05-2020, 12:27 AM
Won't be the same but will be interesting watching.

SonofScray
21-05-2020, 12:42 AM
I really hope we don't have fake crowd noise. To me that is a real insult, that they think the product can be improved with our voices, without us actually there. There will be an unexpected element of the lack of noise that we will enjoy. Just let it play out.

Hotdog60
21-05-2020, 06:32 AM
At least it would be something to hear other than Bruce's voice.

Don't forget Dwayne...

josie
21-05-2020, 07:23 PM
And Ling.....I miss Cometti

jeemak
21-05-2020, 07:50 PM
What they really should have is an insightful commentary team that has interesting and well informed things to say. If they had that we wouldn't be distracted by the lack of crowd noise.

There's a number of assistant coaches out of work and unlikely to be back in work once play resumes. They should be used to provide insights we never receive on radio and TV broadcasts, and in my view this would be a better option than providing patronising canned atmosphere in a stadium that's clearly empty.

If the product can't be replicated or recreated to what it was, find something else to make it interesting.

Twodogs
21-05-2020, 08:36 PM
What they really should have is an insightful commentary team that has interesting and well informed things to say. If they had that we wouldn't be distracted by the lack of crowd noise.

There's a number of assistant coaches out of work and unlikely to be back in work once play resumes. They should be used to provide insights we never receive on radio and TV broadcasts, and in my view this would be a better option than providing patronising canned atmosphere in a stadium that's clearly empty.

If the product can't be replicated or recreated to what it was, find something else to make it interesting.

Absolutely I would watch that. I would even resubscribe to Fox Footy if they had that. They wouldn't even have to talk all the way through the game just when something significant happens that merits mentioning.

EasternWest
21-05-2020, 08:53 PM
What they really should have is an insightful commentary team that has interesting and well informed things to say.

You're request has been heard and actioned. James Brayshaw and Brian Taylor are now calling all games. Guaranteed to be a slimy wink wink nudge nudge comment with every play.

I hope you're happy.

jeemak
21-05-2020, 08:56 PM
Absolutely I would watch that. I would even resubscribe to Fox Footy if they had that. They wouldn't even have to talk all the way through the game just when something significant happens that merits mentioning.

Imagine what they could do if only they tried. The coaches would pretty much work for expenses only at this point, as it would be great for their profiles (kind of like the opposite going on TV was for Cameron Ling's profile).

jeemak
21-05-2020, 08:58 PM
You're request has been heard and actioned. James Brayshaw and Brian Taylor are now calling all games. Guaranteed to be a slimy wink wink nudge nudge comment with every play.

I hope you're happy.

My heart's desire is to one day be a part of their in jokes. I know that on the surface they appear shallow, but I really think that once you're actually in with the in joke makers a whole new world would open up to you.

EasternWest
21-05-2020, 10:59 PM
My heart's desire is to one day be a part of their in jokes. I know that on the surface they appear shallow, but I really think that once you're actually in with the in joke makers a whole new world would open up to you.

The password is in my comment, if you're "in" enough to nut it out ho ho ho wink wink.

josie
21-05-2020, 11:12 PM
I reckon Dunstall is pretty good with special comments.

bornadog
21-05-2020, 11:52 PM
Watch some of the old games and the special comments were almost non existent. Really an unnecessary part of the broadcast, although I like Jeemak's idea, it could work, but the broadcasters haven't got a clue.

jeemak
22-05-2020, 01:04 AM
Watch some of the old games and the special comments were almost non existent. Really an unnecessary part of the broadcast, although I like Jeemak's idea, it could work, but the broadcasters haven't got a clue.

You are so so sooooo wrong BAD (alas, I am as well). They know the absolute minimum we can tolerate and how that relates to how they broadcast.

What I was talking about was a complete pipe dream. I'm a dickhead for even thinking about it. It's going to be JB and *!*!*!*!wit number one, two, three and four etc. and we're just going to have to put up with it.

bornadog
04-06-2020, 03:31 PM
Channel 7 have axed Talking Footy and Game Day. Front Bar will remain

GVGjr
04-06-2020, 05:21 PM
Channel 7 have axed Talking Footy and Game Day. Front Bar will remain

For the season, apparently they will return.

Sedat
04-06-2020, 06:04 PM
So basically the only free to air broadcast partner cannot be bothered investing in any weekly content reviewing the game. Ch 7 really are a despicable organisation - the sooner they lose the footy rights the better.

GVGjr
04-06-2020, 06:12 PM
So basically the only free to air broadcast partner cannot be bothered investing in any weekly content reviewing the game. Ch 7 really are a despicable organisation - the sooner they lose the footy rights the better.

There was a fair bit of speculation yesterday that is as much of a ploy to get their own way on a few other things

Many business never miss on opportunity to make the most of a crisis

Twodogs
04-06-2020, 06:25 PM
There was a fair bit of speculation yesterday that is as much of a ploy to get their own way on a few other things

Many business never miss on opportunity to make the most of a crisis

Churchill said to never waste a good crisis.

EasternWest
04-06-2020, 08:40 PM

Problem is whoever gets it the usual patsies will just sign contracts with them.

bornadog
04-06-2020, 09:50 PM
Problem is whoever gets it the usual patsies will just sign contracts with them.

Yep, the same old formula.

Bring back the Winners, now that was a great show

Twodogs
04-06-2020, 10:21 PM
Yep, the same old formula.

Bring back the Winners, now that was a great show

The ghosts of Ian Cleland and Doug Bigelow.

Rubbish! All the modern day players are rubbish!

bornadog
04-06-2020, 10:27 PM
The ghosts of Ian Cleland and Doug Bigelow.

Rubbish! All the modern day players are rubbish!

Those guys were fantastic.

Geoff Leek, Drew Morphett, Tim Lane

Twodogs
05-06-2020, 10:30 AM
Those guys were fantastic.

Geoff Leek, Drew Morphett, Tim Lane

Who was the ex Footscray player? One night they couldn't come back to the studio so he had to do a relay from the Western Oval. We had had a rare win and when they threw to him he was covered in red, white and blue confetti.

bornadog
05-06-2020, 10:46 AM
Who was the ex Footscray player? One night they couldn't come back to the studio so he had to do a relay from the Western Oval. We had had a rare win and when they threw to him he was covered in red, white and blue confetti.

Can't remember that one.

Twodogs
05-06-2020, 12:43 PM
Can't remember that one.

Oh well. I will just have to spend the rest of the afternoon watching old eps on youtube trying to remember.

I'm not wasting time. I'm researching!

Bulldog4life
14-06-2020, 04:24 PM

I've got a feeling that might have been Ian Robertson.

josie
14-06-2020, 04:58 PM
Did anyone else take up $200 per year kayo offer to dogs (& presumably all AFL team) members? I signed up today and because I had already subscribed for a month or two last year I had to let them know to have option if putting in discount code.

Interestingly they did not email me they they had done anything but when l logged into kayo later on there was new option of $200 per year discount button and when I clicked on that I was able to enter discount code emailed/sent to me In original offer.

Anyway-I find kayo quite good and at $17 a month considering current exclusion of fans attending plus ability to watch replays (fingers crossed we do well this year!!) it should be worth it.

josie
14-06-2020, 05:00 PM
Plus fox sports commentary and analysis less pedestrian than channel 7 (no macavaney and no ling droning on are also +ves).

bornadog
14-06-2020, 05:27 PM
Plus fox sports commentary and analysis less pedestrian than channel 7 (no macavaney and no long droning on are also +ves).

Unless you are watching a Ch7 game on Foxtel Channel.

PS: What are you watching Kayo through? Apple TV or app on your TV, or some other way?

Twodogs
14-06-2020, 05:39 PM
I've got a feeling that might have been Ian Robertson.

It was Ray Walker.

josie
14-06-2020, 05:47 PM
I-pad or I phone-these are 2 devices I have kayo app on. I understand I could mirror to TV but we do not have the ability to do that plus have heard folks have had problems with quality of image doing that. With high quality headphones I-pad is AOK. Mobile phone image quality and size is ok too if only 1 person on each device (as only a household of two no need for a bigger screen).

I do not normally watch enough non free to air sport to justify Fox sports. However enjoyed watching end of Roos beating plastics this arvo though!!

The Adelaide Connection
14-06-2020, 06:01 PM
I-pad or I phone-these are 2 devices I have kayo app on. I understand I could mirror to TV but we do not have the ability to do that plus have heard folks have had problems with quality of image doing that. With high quality headphones I-pad is AOK. Mobile phone image quality and size is ok too if only 1 person on each device (as only a household of two no need for a bigger screen).

I do not normally watch enough non-free to air sport to justify Fox sports. However enjoyed watching end of Roos beating plastics this arvo though!!

I usually use the Kayo app on my Apple Tv upstairs, but I have recently started pushing games from the Kayo app on my phone/ipad to my Chromecast connected to the downstairs tv and it works perfectly. I think the HD Chromecast sets you back around the $40 mark.

josie
14-06-2020, 06:19 PM
Thanks Adelaide Connection-will let me more tech savvy hubby know about that.

Grantysghost
14-06-2020, 06:35 PM
I usually use the Kayo app on my Apple Tv upstairs, but I have recently started pushing games from the Kayo app on my phone/ipad to my Chromecast connected to the downstairs tv and it works perfectly. I think the HD Chromecast sets you back around the $40 mark.

+1 to the chrome cast. I use it exclusively on a few sets and Kayo or Foxtel GO stream well and in 1080p (HD).

josie
14-06-2020, 08:59 PM
Thx Grantysghost. Sounds like chrome cast is worth it.

Hope we play better in last qtr and round 3 or might not bother this year......

Bulldog4life
15-06-2020, 11:14 AM
It was Ray Walker.

I thought he was just on ABC radio. Good pick up if it was him.

Axe Man
15-06-2020, 07:07 PM
We recently fitted out a home theatre room in our house. This was the first opportunity I had to watch the boys live on the big screen in surround sound - such a shame it turned into large and loud assault on my senses!

SonofScray
19-06-2020, 04:48 PM
I am going to need a new TV after tonight, I suspect.