PDA

View Full Version : How good was....Brian Royal?

Dry Rot
21-05-2020, 09:06 PM
Brian Royal was well before my time. All I know of him that he was the Assistant Coach who got so close to being a Senior Coach at many clubs, but no cigar.

So how good was he?

What position did he play?

What current player is Royal most like?

Over to you.

Prince Imperial
21-05-2020, 09:50 PM
Fine player for both Footscray and Victoria was Royal. Mostly played as a rover but could also go forward and hit the scoreboard. Finished his career more playing as a forward. Not quick but always contributing. I've never seen anyone have so many of his kicks smothered though!

The player comparison of today that comes to mind is Robbie Gray. Just checked their stats on AFL Tables and their disposal and goal averages are remarkably similar with Royal just slightly ahead on both counts.

The Doctor
21-05-2020, 11:29 PM
Brilliant player. In the mix for a top 5 spot in my all time best Doggies players

bornadog
21-05-2020, 11:49 PM
Brian was a fantastic player, the classic rover, in and under and can also play outside. Excelled at State level mixing it with the best players. No doubt an A grader.

Finished his career on 199 games and 299 goals, which was a bit sad.

jeemak
22-05-2020, 12:41 AM
Possibly the Lee Matthews if you weren't having a Lee Matthews. A bit watered down (less violent, probably not an adulterer either.…)

Super skillful and could kick a goal. Check out this:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-western-bulldogs--brian-royal

When I started following footy earnestly, Brian Royal was clearly an acknowledged gun in my family and kicked 42 goals out of a pocket in 1992.

Spending time in the middle, but mainly playing forward, he was a gun but from what I have been told he was a sublime rover in his day.

Always being selected for VIC actually means something.

Having played in the era of Williams and Platten, he was up against it in terms of broader recognition.

Dry Rot
22-05-2020, 01:13 AM
Brilliant player. In the mix for a top 5 spot in my all time best Doggies players

****! Huge call.

Who are the other 4?

Mofra
22-05-2020, 11:04 AM
He was selected at state level as a rover in an era of legendary rovers. Was a little hungry in front of the sticks which made us love him even more.

Scott West credits Royal a lot with helping him early in his career. Think of a Scott West who could kick and you get the picture of the type of player Royal was. Westy once said Royal taught him how to be tough, footy tough. Bevo would love him these days as rovers who can play as a genuine small forward are gold in modern football, and Royal was very good at it.

I was lucky enough to catch the radio interview with Royal on 'This is your sporting life' a few months ago. He really was unlucky to never get the chance to coach at senior AFL level.

Twodogs
22-05-2020, 11:04 AM
This good.

He plays his 199th game and did his knee in a R20 loss against Essendon. it was pretty clear he was done. It was a huge knee injury and that was it Brian Royal wasn't going to play any more footy for us. The next week we play West Coast at home and Choco limps out on his crutches just before the game into the players' race. The crowd spot him and a chant of "Choco Choco" starts near the race and spreads right across the ground. They wanted him to come out and take one final salute.

Brian didn't want to do it but the crowd wouldn't let up the chant so he was eventually persuaded to limp out onto the ground and the crowd (mostly Footscray supporters, Perth being a long way away from Footscray and the Whitten Oval was a cold inhospitable place even for Melbourne based opposition supporters) rose as one and gave him a standing ovation. I had never seen anything like it.

Mofra
22-05-2020, 11:06 AM
This good.

He plays his 199th game and did his knee in a R20 loss against Essendon. it was pretty clear he was done. It was a huge knee injury and that was it Brian Royal wasn't going to play any more footy for us. The next week we play West Coast at home and Choco limps out on his crutches just before the game into the players' race. The crowd spot him and a chant of "Choco Choco" starts near the race and spreads right across the ground. They wanted him to come out and take one final salute.

Brian didn't want to do it but the crowd wouldn't let up the chant so he was eventually persuaded to limp out onto the ground and the crowd (mostly Footscray supporters, Perth being a long way away from Footscray and the Whitten Oval was a cold inhospitable place even for Melbourne based opposition supporters) rose as one and gave him a standing ovation. I had never seen anything like it.
Yep I remember that. Poor guy was in tears but if he went out and sat on the bench the whole game to get his 200 up not a single supporter would have complained.

Twodogs
22-05-2020, 11:13 AM
Early in his career I happened to be standing next to a group of guys that had come down from Bairnsdale which is where we recruited Brian from. They all called him Kaiser so I asked them why. They said it was his nickname back home in Bairnsdale and when I gave them a curious look one of them just said "Because he's the king mate"

Twodogs
22-05-2020, 11:21 AM
Yep I remember that. Poor guy was in tears but if he went out and sat on the bench the whole game to get his 200 up not a single supporter would have complained.

Absolutely we would't have cared although there is a certain poignancy to 199 games and 299 goals. He also got a standing ovation the Thursday night before when he walked into the Selector's Table dinner. I can't remember if Harry Beitzal had introduced him or if Brian just tried to sneak in up the back and Harry spotted him and got him up onto the stage-which now that I think about it I can't have been an easy thing to do with a bung knee!

I can still see the surprised look on his face and him just sort of blinking and looking around the crowd. I genuinely don't think he knew how much the fans rated him.

GVGjr
22-05-2020, 11:24 AM
At his best he was a brilliant footballer, one of the best. He had a penetrating kick off either foot and worked harder than just about every other player.

Injuries really curtailed his career

bornadog
22-05-2020, 11:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeJkDOpMdX4

Ozza
22-05-2020, 11:46 AM
The best of choco was a little before my time - but I did see him from 1989-1993. The stats would indicate he is criminally underrated, and in reality one of our best ever players.

I have watched the 1985 1st Semi vs North Melbourne a few times, he has 21 possessions and 5 goals in that game playing as 1st rover, who then goes forward. Absolutely deadly. Scrolling through his career stats there is an absurd amount of games where he has 20+ and multiple goals. He kicked 5 in his second last game (his last was when he did his knee) so he was far from a spent force if he hadn't have done the knee.

Quite rightly is our 'starting' rover in the team of the century.

Sedat
22-05-2020, 12:16 PM
He was a brilliant rover and small forward. Just a natural footballer who did all the common things uncommonly well. Mugs don't kick 5 goals in a state of origin game against WA.

And he tore his ACL before even playing his first game, which robbed him of some crucial pace.

Prince Imperial
22-05-2020, 12:27 PM
I seem to recall reading that he was a Footscray supporter before he came to the club so extra kudos goes to him.

craigsahibee
22-05-2020, 03:26 PM
Out and Out Superstar.

Devastatingly good in partnership with Flea Weightman in the Vic Sides of the mid to late 80's.

Choco was subjected to a heap of punishment from the opposition each week, becuase if you stopped Choco, you went a long way towards stopping Footscray.

Mofra
22-05-2020, 05:22 PM
I seem to recall reading that he was a Footscray supporter before he came to the club so extra kudos goes to him.
Part of that may have been the zoning factor - if you were in Gippsland and were any good, get used to wearing red, white and blue.

Remi Moses
23-05-2020, 03:14 PM
Absolute superstar
Was as good as having a key forward, he was that good overhead .
Sad he didn’t quite get 200 games

Remi Moses
23-05-2020, 03:15 PM
Brilliant on both sides as well

Jeanette54
23-05-2020, 04:14 PM
Brian was a great player, good above his head, and excellent at ground level. He was also a real contested ball winner, before the day when such things were "statified". Brian was a very good forward, getting a fair number of possessions with forward craft rather than crumbing. He was a good lead and positioned well to receive the incoming ball. The 1985 1st Semi vs North Melbourne is a fair showcase of his game style, and I fondly remember that game as a very rare finals win in the period.

Doggy
23-05-2020, 04:17 PM
I remember reading somewhere he once kicked 7 goals and had over 30 touches in a game and did not earn a Brownlow vote ��

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
23-05-2020, 11:09 PM
He was good for at least five goals a game when he moved to the forward line

Mitcha
24-05-2020, 11:41 AM
Absolute gun and a shame he didn't make it to 200 club games. Was under rated by most non Bulldog people but had an uncanny ability to read the game as well as higher profile types like Greg Williams. When playing forward was incredibly strong overhead and also the master at the front and centre making him a difficult match up and was more often than not a multiple goalkicker.

Bulldog4life
25-05-2020, 12:23 PM
Choc was a gun. Won the B & F in his first season. I was there when he won his award and I reckon he was best "off the field" that night too. Held at the old 501 Receptions. Saw a lot of his games and his reading of the game was sublime whether roving or in the forward pocket. A terrible shame how his career ended.

Axe Man
25-05-2020, 02:26 PM
Part of that may have been the zoning factor - if you were in Gippsland and were any good, get used to wearing red, white and blue.

Not all of Gippsland, was a Hawthorn zone around these parts.

Twodogs
25-05-2020, 03:11 PM
Not all of Gippsland, was a Hawthorn zone around these parts.

Correct:

...the Dogs only got east Gippsland, while the Hawks greedily gobbled up west Gippsland along with the Mornington Peninsula...

From; https://thehickeystand.com/2016/05/14/the-12-vfl-country-zones-and-how-they-would-have-screwed-your-club-today

And the zones were supposed to rotate every couple of years but never did.

...Country Zoning laws were introduced in 1967, on the basis that the zones were to be rotated between the clubs. However, clubs such as Hawthorn and Carlton invested quite a lot of time and money into making their zones as productive as possible, through advanced development of the
up-and-coming young footballers and were (unsurprisingly) unwilling to give up their access to these zones

http://economicstudents.com/2014/08/equalisation-in-the-afl-a-historical-look/

Axe Man
02-03-2021, 12:11 PM
Came across this on Facebook. A book on the history of the Bairnsdale Football Club, with a major focus on their 1981 flag (I assume that is the source of the photo). That's got to be Choco at the front, yeah? And is that Tom Alvin over his right shoulder?

https://i.postimg.cc/wBrzXpxv/royal.png (https://postimages.org/)

bornadog
02-03-2021, 12:37 PM
Came across this on Facebook. A book on the history of the Bairnsdale Football Club, with a major focus on their 1981 flag (I assume that is the source of the photo). That's got to be Choco at the front, yeah? And is that Tom Alvin over his right shoulder?

https://i.postimg.cc/wBrzXpxv/royal.png (https://postimages.org/)

Yes it is Choco, and possibly Alvin

Bulldog4life
02-03-2021, 06:34 PM
Fairly certain it is Alvin Axe.

Twodogs
03-03-2021, 01:44 PM
Royal and Alvin both played in the 1981 premiership for Bairnsdale so it's got to be him.

WBFC4FFC
03-03-2021, 05:10 PM
Royal and Alvin both played in the 1981 premiership for Bairnsdale so it's got to be him.

I read somewhere a few years ago that the Blues did some illegal, underhanded stuff to get Alvin despite being in the Bullies zone, believing that the VFL and Footscray would not have the resources to see Alvin at Footscray, per the Zones at the time.

And the Blues fans still think they are hard done by!!!!

bornadog
03-03-2021, 05:43 PM
I read somewhere a few years ago that the Blues did some illegal, underhanded stuff to get Alvin despite being in the Bullies zone, believing that the VFL and Footscray would not have the resources to see Alvin at Footscray, per the Zones at the time.

And the Blues fans still think they are hard done by!!!!

A discussion on Tommy Alvin in this thread: https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?11509-Tom-Alvin

1eyedog
03-03-2021, 08:10 PM

Same mate absolute superstar.

Bulldog Revolution
04-03-2021, 10:15 AM
Absolutely loved Choco Royal

Thought he was a terrific player, had great hands, was courageous and just kept putting his head over the ball, very capable around goal

Mat Lyons
12-03-2023, 06:40 PM
My favorite payer of all time. I have the honour of interviewing him tomorrow on our podcast! Any questions WOOFers want answered? Any memories you'd like me to share with him or pass on?
Also, does anyone have any pics from their personal collection to share of Choco?
Thanks, matty

Mofra
12-03-2023, 07:09 PM
My favorite payer of all time. I have the honour of interviewing him tomorrow on our podcast! Any questions WOOFers want answered? Any memories you'd like me to share with him or pass on?
Also, does anyone have any pics from their personal collection to share of Choco?
Thanks, matty
Scott West credits Choco in getting him "footy tough" (especially after his second-game mauling by West Coast).
What things does he remember passing on to the pups in the late stages of his career?

The Doctor
12-03-2023, 07:41 PM
Thanks, matty

Opinions on the Brad Hardie affair. Who was right & who was wrong? What affect on the team?

What could we have done to alter the 85 preliminary final?

jeemak
12-03-2023, 08:53 PM
Thanks, matty

The 1992 game at Princess Park and Choco's busted nose/ the biff that happened that day. Who got him and did he earn it?

1eyedog
12-03-2023, 10:48 PM
The 1992 game at Princess Park and Choco's busted nose/ the biff that happened that day. Who got him and did he earn it?

That was Hogg. Choco was as fair and straight down the line as they come. Hogg often resorted to under-handed tactics to make up for a distinct lack of talent. That is the nicest way I can put it.

Hotdog60
13-03-2023, 12:07 AM
I anyone wants to relive that 1985 semifinal take a look down memory lane. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-0HaqnAD3g

Hotdog60
13-03-2023, 12:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdceT-mmybQ

Hotdog60
13-03-2023, 12:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJbl0AR-xaE

Hotdog60
13-03-2023, 12:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYAOIZOLh5U

jeemak
13-03-2023, 12:20 AM
That was Hogg. Choco was as fair and straight down the line as they come. Hogg often resorted to under-handed tactics to make up for a distinct lack of talent. That is the nicest way I can put it.

I thought I recalled it either being Hogg or Brown. The latter being the most hyped up player in the AFL because of his mum, which is pretty weird, but you know, Carlton........

Grantysghost
13-03-2023, 09:56 AM
I anyone wants to relive that 1985 semifinal take a look down memory lane. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-0HaqnAD3g
Ah remember it well. Wasn’t it our first finals win in eons? I was there in the cheer squad as a 9 year old!

Edit: First finals win since 1961 when we made the GF to the Hawks who won their first ever flag (now have 13 in 62 years or one every 4.76 years)

Played in two elimination finals at Waverley in between and lost both. (74 v Pies and 76 v Cats).

GVGjr
13-03-2023, 10:33 AM
There are a lot of supporters who loved Choco and he was a big reason why people were attracted to the club.
Injury free he was a sensational midfielder and a dangerous small forward. If anyone can get their hands on the best of 85, Bulldog Revolution once gave me a copy, you will see just how damaging and player he was.
He was one of the guests at the East meets West function last year and he is an impressive guy.

bornadog
13-03-2023, 10:58 AM
There are a lot of supporters who loved Choco and he was a big reason why people were attracted to the club.
Injury free he was a sensational midfielder and a dangerous small forward. If anyone can get their hands on the best of 85, Bulldog Revolution once gave me a copy, you will see just how damaging and player he was.
He was one of the guests at the East meets West function last year and he is an impressive guy.

Shame he just missed out several times for a senior coaching role. I think he would have been successful.

Bulldog4life
13-03-2023, 12:16 PM
Choco won the Club's Best and Fairest in his first year at the club 1983. That speaks for itself. I was there that night and Brian really enjoyed himself.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
13-03-2023, 07:41 PM
Always good for five goals a game with a shake of the mullet

HOSE B ROMERO
13-03-2023, 08:54 PM
Choco won the Club's Best and Fairest in his first year at the club 1983. That speaks for itself. I was there that night and Brian really enjoyed himself.

He was unlucky not to win the league best first year player that year but it went to Phil Walsh.

Choco was brilliant and rarely got beaten. So well balanced, gutsy, ball player and a finisher.

And best of all he grew up barracking for Footscray!

HOSE B ROMERO
13-03-2023, 08:59 PM
Thanks, matty

Damn i wish i'd have seen this earlier.

I have a 1986 Scanlen's footy card where Choco is wearing a lace up jumper! What did he think of it?

Did he ever get approached by any other club? He was such a champion.

Why did he move from Williamstown?

And

Mofra
14-03-2023, 10:26 AM
He was unlucky not to win the league best first year player that year but it went to Phil Walsh.

Choco was brilliant and rarely got beaten. So well balanced, gutsy, ball player and a finisher.

And best of all he grew up barracking for Footscray!
Helps being a Bairnsdale boy in the zoning days.
Sadly, my most vivid memory of Choco is at Whitten Oval stranded on 199 games and 299 goals getting a standing ovation from the crowd before a game, on crutches.

WBFC4FFC
14-03-2023, 08:33 PM
Helps being a Bairnsdale boy in the zoning days.
Sadly, my most vivid memory of Choco is at Whitten Oval stranded on 199 games and 299 goals getting a standing ovation from the crowd before a game, on crutches.

Yep - last home game in 93 after knowing we couldn't make the finals. Got injured in the wet game against the Bumbres at the G, where Kickett kicked 8 of their 11 goals to sneak over the line.

Where's the luck all-round?!?!

HOSE B ROMERO
17-03-2023, 07:51 PM
Yep - last home game in 93 after knowing we couldn't make the finals. Got injured in the wet game against the Bumbres at the G, where Kickett kicked 8 of their 11 goals to sneak over the line.

Where's the luck all-round?!?!

Kickett was unstoppable that day.

Prince Imperial
17-03-2023, 08:03 PM
Kickett was unstoppable that day.

Yep and he went on to kick just one goal in his next four games and was dropped for the GF.