PDA

View Full Version : Your initial thoughts on Hudson?

Dry Rot
28-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Funny how you watch a player who has joined your team far more closely than when he plays for the Crows....

Well, for me anyway.

I watched Hudson pretty closely in the first 2 NAB Cup matches.

Upside: He really has guts - out-muscling his opponent, hard ball gets, smothers, getting in there in the guts.

Downside: He's actually not that good a tap ruckman, not that mobile (more mobile ruckmen may give him some grief), doesn't do a huge lot around the ground, dunno how effective he will be going forward.

But on balance, I've liked what I've seen and we'll be better with him on board.

Thoughts?

LostDoggy
28-02-2008, 11:05 PM
In my opinion we look a lot more damaging in the middle. It's what we have done with the clearance's which has let us down. I also think his tap work is a little finer. As he's trying to hit target's with his taps as opposed to hitting in the general direction of a player...or where a player would be for a set play. It doesn't look as good overall if you don't pull it off, and you won't pull it off every time. In the long run though you'll win more clearances.

I think I explained it properly, its a hard thing to explain.

bornadog
28-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Averages around 16 hitouts per game but also gets his own ball. I think the midfielders will have to learn to work with him before we get some value, but I am excited we have a genuine ruckman again after the departure of Scott Wynd and then Darcy.

BulldogBelle
29-02-2008, 12:00 AM
I was all for it from the beginnig - it has been awhile since we had a fully fledged ruckman, he will definitely compliment our centre line. Can't wait to see Hudson & Welsh line up against their old side.

wb_age
29-02-2008, 12:57 AM
Love his agression, although i question his decision making and the fact that he never seems to get off the ground. (so when he is up against a big leaping ruckman he will be exposed)
Am I the only one who noticed this?

LostDoggy
01-03-2008, 06:51 PM
I watched him pretty closely at werribee, followed his career at the crows, was shattered for him when he did his knee, and im very very very excited hes now in doggies colours(its where he should have been all along imo).

Heard john barnes speaking to him in bendigo last night,and he was showing him where to jump on the other ruckman and all that stuff, barnsey was pretty happy he was following what he was saying during the game.

I think hes going to be an awesome pick up for us, cant wait till the real stuff starts.

The Coon Dog
01-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Heard john barnes speaking to him in bendigo last night,and he was showing him where to jump on the other ruckman and all that stuff, barnsey was pretty happy he was following what he was saying during the game.

For a bloke many on BF got stuck into, he seems to know his stuff.

hujsh
01-03-2008, 07:10 PM
For a bloke many on BF got stuck into, he seems to know his stuff.

That's why the club makes these decisions and not BF;)

ledge
01-03-2008, 07:24 PM
As much as people think Barnes is a no brainer i was at melton bloods footy club when he played there and his knowledge of the games is exceptional, and Hudson will learn a great deal from him .

BulldogBelle
01-03-2008, 07:56 PM

John Barnes is a very cluey bloke, he might seem like the larrakin type but he definitely knows his stuff. He is a very good friend of my brother's he tells my brother that he was always a closet Bulldog fan and that he absolutely loves working at the club nuturing our Ruckmen.

LostDoggy
03-03-2008, 12:29 PM
In my opinion we look a lot more damaging in the middle.

Those were exactly the thoughts by the majority of the decision makers at the club he was courted for quite a while before he made it to us.

Raw Toast
03-03-2008, 03:19 PM
I've been excited by the glimpses I've seen of Hudson - he can ruck and add to our grunt, so helps us address two problems in one go, and the little I've seen of him in a Bulldogs outfit has shown he's bringing both these aspects to us.

Those were exactly the thoughts by the majority of the decision makers at the club he was courted for quite a while before he made it to us.

Can you tell us how long is quite a while? (I understand that you might not be able to).

And do you know how long we courted Welsh for?

FrediKanoute
04-03-2008, 04:16 AM
Having watched little football over the last ferw years other than Doggies games I had little expectation of Hudson, or really didn't know what to expect. I watched the Essendon game and thought he was ok without being sensational. A better ruckman that Street, but not as good as Cox/White etc. Will certainly strengthen our team, but I can't see him winning games off his own boot, which is not a negative, just a reality.

I think the value he will ad will be the 1%'ers and the strength around that centre circle which is somewhere we have sadly lacked strength.

LostDoggy
04-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Can you tell us how long is quite a while? (I understand that you might not be able to).

And do you know how long we courted Welsh for?

Hudson was courted h/way through last season few things had to fall our way. Welsh fell into our lap he came from left field.

Raw Toast
05-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Hudson was courted h/way through last season few things had to fall our way. Welsh fell into our lap he came from left field.

Good to hear we were that proactive with our ruck problem. I thought we might've got lucky with Welsh. I hope he has a better year than Robbo who rejected our advances :)