PDA

View Full Version : This maybe controversial but........ I'm almost over Bob.

Mitcha
24-05-2020, 11:49 AM
Absolutely loved him as a player but almost had enough of him in the media. Playing a poor mans version of Dermott Brereton he seems to love the sound of his own voice a bit too much. Always remember him interviewing Rob Sitch and forgetting that when you work with comedians it's best to let the funny one do most of the talking. Have been watching the new Barkly Street podcasts with Bob and Bont and have lost count of the time he would ask the guest a question but then not allow them the chance to answer by continuing with his own waffle. Ease up a bit Bob, it's not all about you. Shooting Bambi I know, Agree or disagree?

bornadog
24-05-2020, 12:09 PM
I get what you mean, but I am not at the stage of being too much annoyed. I don't listen to his show with Andy Maher on SEN, so the only exposure I get is on the podcast.

Remi Moses
24-05-2020, 12:14 PM
Tend to agree , although appreciate the voluntary work he does re- podcast and his work with our Women’s team

GVGjr
24-05-2020, 12:16 PM
Absolutely loved him as a player but almost had enough of him in the media. Playing a poor mans version of Dermott Brereton he seems to love the sound of his own voice a bit too much. Always remember him interviewing Rob Sitch and forgetting that when you work with comedians it's best to let the funny one do most of the talking. Have been watching the new Barkly Street podcasts with Bob and Bont and have lost count of the time he would ask the guest a question but then not allow them the chance to answer by continuing with his own waffle. Ease up a bit Bob, it's not all about you. Shooting Bambi I know, Agree or disagree?

I struggle with him at club events and in the media but at least in the media I can't switch off. I like him but a little goes a long way

AndrewP6
24-05-2020, 04:24 PM
Disagree, Bob is terrific. That said, I don’t listen to radio very much, so I don’t hear everything he does. Love him though.

Dry Rot
24-05-2020, 04:44 PM
Have been watching the new Barkly Street podcasts with Bob and Bont and have lost count of the time he would ask the guest a question but then not allow them the chance to answer by continuing with his own waffle.

Flip side is that I reckon that the Bont is doing well in that new role.

Bulldog4life
25-05-2020, 12:14 PM
I think Bob has improved on his radio program since he started. I enjoy listening to him when I have the chance.

GVGjr
25-05-2020, 12:20 PM
I think Bob has improved on his radio program since he started. I enjoy listening to him when I have the chance.

I find him OK but in smaller doses and I'm not exactly sure why that is

Bulldog4life
25-05-2020, 12:34 PM
I find him OK but in smaller doses and I'm not exactly sure why that is

To be fair I only listen in small doses too in the car. Waiting for Mrs BFL outside the supermarket for example. Never a full show.

Topdog
25-05-2020, 02:17 PM
I'm over all AFL media and have been for a few years now.

bornadog
25-05-2020, 02:19 PM
I'm over all AFL media and have been for a few years now.

I don't watch any of the TV shows unless I hear a Bulldog player/coach will be on. That includes AFL 360 - (Robbo a dickhead), Talking Footy, On the couch etc etc.

Topdog
25-05-2020, 03:04 PM
I don't watch any of the TV shows unless I hear a Bulldog player/coach will be on. That includes AFL 360 - (Robbo a dickhead), Talking Footy, On the couch etc etc.

yep last time I watched any of them was October 2016 :)

1eyedog
25-05-2020, 05:21 PM
Not built for the camera. Great with pen in hand though.

GVGjr
25-05-2020, 06:44 PM
I have forced myself to listen to all of this afternoons show. I mostly enjoy Andy Maher and Bob is OK it's just that he seems to pitch himself as the guy who chases the story behind the story and expresses a little too much effort in the emotional side of any story

That's not a bad thing in itself and I get that might be his style but it's the reason why it wears s bit thin with me

Twodogs
25-05-2020, 07:45 PM
I have forced myself to listen to all of this afternoons show. I mostly enjoy Andy Maher and Bob is OK it's just that he seems to pitch himself as the guy who chases the story behind the story and expresses a little too much effort in the emotional side of any story

That's not a bad thing in itself and I get that might be his style but it's the reason why it wears s bit thin with me

Heard a bit of SEN today. Is it just me or are there a lot of ads now?

SonofScray
26-05-2020, 12:55 AM
He is a good lad, one of my favourites and I appreciate that he isn't just a good head footballer. Spreads a bit too much mayo on that shtick though. I hated his articles in the Age, he really flogged his love of Brit-pop and indie rock analogies like a dead horse.

Mitcha
26-05-2020, 09:15 AM
My judgement was made from Bulldog media mainly, I don't to listen to him on SEN because he sits with Andy Maher who is simply an insufferable wanker.

GVGjr
26-05-2020, 09:30 AM
My judgement was made from Bulldog media mainly, I don't to listen to him on SEN because he sits with Andy Maher who is simply an insufferable wanker.

I previously mentioned him at club events but perhaps I just need to hear another voice
Regarding Andy Maher he's a good interviewer because he does his research but he struggles with the comedy side of things

Sedat
26-05-2020, 12:13 PM
Spreads a bit too much mayo on that shtick though. I hated his articles in the Age, he really flogged his love of Brit-pop and indie rock analogies like a dead horse.
100% this. It's almost as though he is desperate to be defined as a member of the inner city hipster intelligentsia club. And like most members of this unofficial club, he is nowhere near as smart as he thinks he is - does he not realise that his entire media meal ticket comprises mostly of working class in the suburbs who care little for the irrelevant musings of the inner city bubble that he has chosen to hang off the coattails of? His decision to dress up in Melbourne Bitter gear for the Neale Daniher MND ice slide neatly encapsulates him - desperate to look 'cool' in all circumstances, and missing the point completely in the process.

For mine, he is an ordinary media talent who struggles to understand how to most effectively communicate and cut through to as wide an audience as possible. IMO he has a limited appeal and shelf life - he has cast himself as the token indie guy, forever typecast in this role and therefore never to be taken really seriously as a media performer.

Twodogs
26-05-2020, 12:50 PM
100% this. It's almost as though he is desperate to be defined as a member of the inner city hipster intelligentsia club. And like most members of this unofficial club, he is nowhere near as smart as he thinks he is - does he not realise that his entire media meal ticket comprises mostly of working class in the suburbs who care little for the irrelevant musings of inner city bubble that he has chosen to hang off the coattails of? His decision to dress up in Melbourne Bitter gear for the Neale Daniher MND ice slide neatly encapsulates him - desperate to look 'cool' in all circumstances, and missing the point completely in the process.

For mine, he is an ordinary media talent who struggles to understand how to effective communicate and cut through to as wide an audience as possible. IMO he has a limited appeal and shelf life - he has cast himself as the token indie guy, forever typecast in this role and therefore never to be taken really seriously as a media performer.

If you are try to look cool then you aint cool. It's that simple.

jeemak
26-05-2020, 02:26 PM
100% this. It's almost as though he is desperate to be defined as a member of the inner city hipster intelligentsia club. And like most members of this unofficial club, he is nowhere near as smart as he thinks he is - does he not realise that his entire media meal ticket comprises mostly of working class in the suburbs who care little for the irrelevant musings of inner city bubble that he has chosen to hang off the coattails of? His decision to dress up in Melbourne Bitter gear for the Neale Daniher MND ice slide neatly encapsulates him - desperate to look 'cool' in all circumstances, and missing the point completely in the process.

For mine, he is an ordinary media talent who struggles to understand how to effective communicate and cut through to as wide an audience as possible. IMO he has a limited appeal and shelf life - he has cast himself as the token indie guy, forever typecast in this role and therefore never to be taken really seriously as a media performer.

I agree with the sentiment, but not sure hipster is the right club. The folks you're referring to are well too vanilla to be considered hipster, unless Paul Kelly, Tex Perkins, Tim Rogers and their acolytes have become so vanilla that they are now considered ironically hip!

In the media he's always come across to me as a small doses kind of guy, which is why his weekly articles were OK for something different and the odd spot on TV was good as well.

BornInDroopSt'54
28-05-2020, 12:59 PM
The collective absorbtion of media personalities can be warts and all. I am cringing a bit at this but agree. It makes me feel my limits too except WOOF and FB are the only media I put myself out there, cringe.

Bulldog4life
29-05-2020, 05:17 PM
I like Murph. Simple as that. I don't want to over analyze it too much. I just like the guy.

bornadog
29-05-2020, 05:19 PM
Had a round of golf with him once (long time ago), and he is a funny guy.

FrediKanoute
31-05-2020, 04:12 AM
The most sacrilegious post of the century......the Spanish inquisition will be paying you a visit.

Twodogs
31-05-2020, 12:26 PM
The most sacrilegious post of the century......the Spanish inquisition will be paying you a visit.

But, but. Now Mitcha will be expecting them.

Way to give the game away Fredi. You've removed the element of surprise. And fear.

I'm gonna stop now or this could get really ugly.

BornInDroopSt'54
31-05-2020, 01:02 PM
Familiarity breeds contempt.

angelopetraglia
08-06-2020, 09:28 PM
We are so lucky to have Bulldogs who bleed red, white and blue in the media like Bob and Darcy to help champion our cause and help our overall profile.

I don't listen to his show on SEN but enjoy the Podcast and his appearances on Fox Footy.

jeemak
08-06-2020, 10:31 PM
We are so lucky to have Bulldogs who bleed red, white and blue in the media like Bob and Darcy to help champion our cause and help our overall profile.

I don't listen to his show on SEN but enjoy the Podcast and his appearances on Fox Footy.

It's not like he'd be allowed to be himself on SEN or FOX anyway. Much of his schtick would be prescribed on those two outlets, on the podcast he seems a bit less "cool" or less of a novelty.

Note - I refused to continue listening to SEN after they decided the Franco on the Toilet advertisement series was no longer relevant after 2010, when it was clearly timeless.

The Pie Man
15-06-2020, 05:26 PM
Noted on twitter last night he got into what seemed a bit of a salty exchange with an ex employee of the club (Damian Glass) saying he 'was entitled to Simon Dalrymple's opinion'

:confused:

comrade
15-06-2020, 06:15 PM
Noted on twitter last night he got into what seemed a bit of a salty exchange with an ex employee of the club (Damian Glass) saying he 'was entitled to Simon Dalrymple's opinion'

:confused:

Such a shame how it ended with Bevo and Dalrymple. Cost us a chance at a dynasty, IMO.

azabob
15-06-2020, 06:57 PM
Such a shame how it ended with Bevo and Dalrymple. Cost us a chance at a dynasty, IMO.

How so? Even if Dalrymple was still at the club our on-field performance in 2020 would still be the same?

Bumper Bulldogs
16-06-2020, 07:58 AM
Flip side is that I reckon that the Bont is doing well in that new role.

Yes but it is a distraction and we need him focused on his performance and driving the team culture. Not working on a life post football. He is still only young and made captain of the club. Footy first. When we get our game together and playing competitive footy he could take on some over and above stuff

comrade
16-06-2020, 08:50 AM
How so? Even if Dalrymple was still at the club our on-field performance in 2020 would still be the same?

Perhaps, but I'm not just talking about now.

I was hopeful for a 10 year run like Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney etc on the back of 2016 with Dalrymple being an important piece of the puzzle.

azabob
16-06-2020, 10:35 AM
Perhaps, but I'm not just talking about now.

I was hopeful for a 10 year run like Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney etc on the back of 2016 with Dalrymple being an important piece of the puzzle.

I reckon we all were hoping for a 10 year run, and perhaps we still held out a slim hope from 2019 onwards...

It appears as an organisation we were not mature enough collectively or individually to handle the successes of 2016 and we begun to self implode.

I still wonder how much of a black hole Graham Lowe left when he departed in February 2017?