GWS Giants vs North Melbourne, Giants Stadium, 1:05pm

Sydney Swans vs Essendon, SCG, 3:35pm

St Kilda vs Western Bulldogs, Marvel Stadium, 6:05pm

Eastdog
08-06-2020, 02:04 PM
Bump

Murphy'sLore
08-06-2020, 03:36 PM
It's nice to see a game day thread again!

Eastdog
08-06-2020, 03:53 PM
It's nice to see a game day thread again!

It is good to have the footy back again. I have created the WB game day R2 thread as well in the Dawg squad which ill move across later in the week.

bornadog
08-06-2020, 04:08 PM
I think home ground advantage won't be a factor, unless Freo and WC haven't settled in well up at the Gold Coast.

Will be an interesting round.

GVGjr
08-06-2020, 05:05 PM
The Collingwood vs Richmond game should be a great one to restart the season

Port Power vs Adelaide and Geelong vs Hawthorn should an interesting games as well

Happy to have the footy back

Murphy'sLore
09-06-2020, 03:13 PM
I wish we weren't the last game, it's going to feel like a very long weekend.

azabob
09-06-2020, 09:07 PM
I wish we weren't the last game, it's going to feel like a very long weekend.

As opposed to the longest weekend in history between round one and two?

jeemak
10-06-2020, 04:41 PM
Good to see Harley Bennell is confirmed as a starter for Melbourne this week. Probably someone who is glad the Pandemic came along when it did.

bornadog
10-06-2020, 05:21 PM
Good to see Harley Bennell is confirmed as a starter for Melbourne this week. Probably someone who is glad the Pandemic came along when it did.

Good luck to him, hopefully he keeps injury free

GVGjr
11-06-2020, 09:42 AM
Who will be tuned in for tonight's game?

I wouldn't normally watch too much of a Thursday night game but I suspect if it's a good standard it will grab my attention.

comrade
11-06-2020, 10:04 AM

I wouldn't normally watch too much of a Thursday night game but I suspect if it's a good standard it will grab my attention.

I'll tune in for the start but I expect I'll pull the pin after 15 minutes.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-06-2020, 12:01 PM

I've a flex day off tomorrow so may watch the match in full tonight.

bornadog
11-06-2020, 12:36 PM
If it's a close game I will probably watch the last

Hotdog60
11-06-2020, 10:56 PM
If it's a close game I will probably watch the last

You couldn't get any closer

GVGjr
11-06-2020, 10:59 PM
Good hard arm wrestle but the skill level was well down

comrade
11-06-2020, 11:11 PM
Not sure how Collingwood hung on there, our defence would have collapsed under that sort of pressure.

Good example of how you don't need to dominate the midfield to still be competitive.

bornadog
11-06-2020, 11:43 PM
The lowest scoring match since 1999.

Really the most boring draw ever

soupman
11-06-2020, 11:52 PM
Crowd noise was crap, except for when they cheered the draw, that was funny.

I'd much rather hear the players reactions, and it would be even better if we can get rid of the commentators at the same time.

jazzadogs
12-06-2020, 12:18 AM

I'd much rather hear the players reactions, and it would be even better if we can get rid of the commentators at the same time.

It won't matter what they do with the crowds, if that's the quality of the football.

Dry Rot
12-06-2020, 01:08 AM
Absolute pleasure watching Pendlebury. Rolls Royce.

Pies defence was terrific. That Roughead chap could have been useful for us...

Sedat
12-06-2020, 01:09 AM
That was as turgid a game of footy as you could get. Looks like heavy flooding, short chipping and slow ball movement will be the order of the day this season. These are 2 genuine top 4 teams who dished up that rubbish.

jeemak
12-06-2020, 01:17 AM
It just seemed like a standard preseason competition game, but with premiership points up for grabs which made it tight.

comrade
12-06-2020, 05:46 AM

I thought the crowd noise was subtle enough and it actually made it more watchable. Without it, it feels like we're watching a training run.

Hotdog60
12-06-2020, 07:26 AM
I only caught up with at the end of the 3rd and it was close enough to stick around and I had nothing better to do.
I hope that this isn't what we can expect for the rest of the year otherwise next season will be compromised with more stupid rule changes to either the game or the lists.

Bulldog4life
12-06-2020, 09:34 AM
Nearly 3 months between matches sure shows.

The Adelaide Connection
12-06-2020, 10:07 AM
That was as turgid a game of footy as you could get. Looks like heavy flooding, short chipping and slow ball movement will be the order of the day this season. These are 2 genuine top 4 teams who dished up that rubbish.

I went to the Round 1 Pies v Geelong game last year and it was a stinker. The decision making and skill levels were beyond horrendous. The only thing that made being there bearable was hearing both sets of fans audible frustration with each missed target and turnover.

On that night I thought both teams would have no hope even making the eight. They obviously went on to play some pretty damn good footy and were at the pointy end, so I guess there is hope.

*On a tangent: Maybe a few social media keyboard warriors from FB and whatever owe the women's league a few apologies over snide, low scoring comments.

Axe Man
12-06-2020, 10:16 AM
If that Higgins goal review mark is indicative of the decision making of the people in the box there may well be plenty of things thrown at the TV in my house this season.

bornadog
12-06-2020, 10:25 AM
If that Higgins goal review mark is indicative of the decision making of the people in the box there may well be plenty of things thrown at the TV in my house this season.

That was disgraceful, should have been a point.

If the AFL need some cost cutting they should get rid of:

1. Goal review people - let the umpire make the decision
2. Back to two umpires for field and boundary
3. No interchange stewards

AFL the most over officiated game in the world

The Bulldogs Bite
12-06-2020, 11:18 AM
The AFL product is pretty boring these days. Never thought I'd say it, but I actually prefer NBA for the most part. Better action, better commentary, the list goes on.

The Dogs obviously keep me glued but gee, the game today vs the game in the 90s is poles apart. It's a byproduct of the game becoming so professional but I feel it's over coached and over officiated as a starting point. Problem is, it's not an easy fix - particularly in terms of coaching.

That aside, last night's game needs to be cut some slack. No footy for 3 months, heavily limited training sessions, slippery conditions, shortened quarters.

Shortened quarters makes it worse TBH. Add 15-20 minutes to last night and guaranteed the game opens up/we get a lot more goals. Enjoy many more games like last night if we stick to this method.

bornadog
12-06-2020, 11:26 AM
The AFL product is pretty boring these days. Never thought I'd say it, but I actually prefer NBA for the most part. Better action, better commentary, the list goes on.

The Dogs obviously keep me glued but gee, the game today vs the game in the 90s is poles apart. It's a byproduct of the game becoming so professional but I feel it's over coached and over officiated as a starting point. Problem is, it's not an easy fix - particularly in terms of coaching.

That aside, last night's game needs to be cut some slack. No footy for 3 months, heavily limited training sessions, slippery conditions, shortened quarters.

Shortened quarters makes it worse TBH. Add 15-20 minutes to last night and guaranteed the game opens up/we get a lot more goals. Enjoy many more games like last night if we stick to this method.

I mostly agree with you, except I would add, the changing of the rules and the umpiring has completely changed the game, with coaches trying to come up with ways to beat the changed rules. I know I bang on a lot about rules, but we are seeing the results of those changes really effecting the game.

The worst thing is no new rule changes will make the game look like what some people think the game should look like. The only way I can see a positive effect is to reverse some of these rules.

comrade
12-06-2020, 11:38 AM
Most games are boring, the players are robots, the commentary is horrible, the media is laughable.

Footy sucks now, only my love for the Dogs keeps me coming back.

ReLoad
12-06-2020, 11:53 AM
the short quarters is nonsense. gone are the days of endurance players having an edge at some point.

I thinking of Daniel cross as an example, he would have no hope in this shorter game, as his 100% consistent speed and output is no match for impact players who now have the opportunity to do it more often and not worry about blowing up.

At the end of the game last night not a single player was fatigued, not even close. even as quarters ended they had plenty more to give.

Whoever has the list with the most impact burst players will win this year, even tall forwards don't have much hope given that players can "get back" so easily.

footy used to be a game where different types of players all had a place, thats as dead as the 15m penalty now.

GVGjr
12-06-2020, 01:00 PM
Terry Wallace predicted a defensive approach which went against the theory many had that this round would have an attacking component to it. Plough got it right based on last nights performance

It was a good contest last night but the skill level was very poor and the low scoring game also did nothing for the people watching

Lets hope it all improves quickly

Happy Days
12-06-2020, 02:18 PM
I think that maybe there is cause to cut some slack for last night’s game.

The skills were largely brutal but getting to see Pendlebury side step and strut around was well worth the time. I’m not going to pretend I wasn’t entertained.

Twodogs
12-06-2020, 02:24 PM
Terry Wallace predicted a defensive approach which went against the theory many had that this round would have an attacking component to it. Plough got it right based on last nights performance

It was a good contest last night but the skill level was very poor and the low scoring game also did nothing for the people watching

Lets hope it all improves quickly

I watched the game from start to finish and two things really stood out as problems to me. Collingwood's over emphasis on handball, I know they based it on our 2016 handball club model but they didn't take the same chances we did that made ours so exciting to watch. There were to many floaters and helicopters that just created problems for the receiver waiting for them. Like Drew Morphett used to say "ohhhh, better you than me waiting underneath that son!"

And the constant chipping the ball around. Richmond went long a few times in the second quarter and Lynch got on the end of them every time, but the message at halftime to them seemed to be "chip the ball around until you're sure that you've burned Lynch on the lead and then bomb away"

It was an awful and frustrating game to watch.

bornadog
12-06-2020, 02:43 PM
I watched the game from start to finish and two things really stood out as problems to me. Collingwood's over emphasis on handball, I know they based it on our 2016 handball club model but they didn't take the same chances we did that made ours so exciting to watch. There were to many floaters and helicopters that just created problems for the receiver waiting for them. Like Drew Morphett used to say "ohhhh, better you than me waiting underneath that son!"

And the constant chipping the ball around. Richmond went long a few times in the second quarter and Lynch got on the end of them every time, but the message at halftime to them seemed to be "chip the ball around until you're sure that you've burned Lynch on the lead and then bomb away"

It was an awful and frustrating game to watch.

There was one with about a minute to go, Pendles flipped one over his head, not knowing who was there, only to float in the air and to be grabbed by Richmond. At that stage of the game, it was too risky as the ball was hovering around Richmond's Fwd50, and they could have scored.

Collingwood were not very attacking and didn't move the ball well from what I saw from about 10 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter and were more content to just bomb the ball. They also lack a big forward, so bombing it played into the hands of Richmond.

AFLW kick more goals than they did last night. :D

Twodogs
12-06-2020, 08:00 PM
There was one with about a minute to go, Pendles flipped one over his head, not knowing who was there, only to float in the air and to be grabbed by Richmond. At that stage of the game, it was too risky as the ball was hovering around Richmond's Fwd50, and they could have scored.

Collingwood were not very attacking and didn't move the ball well from what I saw from about 10 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter and were more content to just bomb the ball. They also lack a big forward, so bombing it played into the hands of Richmond.

AFLW kick more goals than they did last night. :D

I remember that one. I said to my son that then wasn't the time for party tricks.

jeemak
12-06-2020, 08:26 PM
I mostly agree with you, except I would add, the changing of the rules and the umpiring has completely changed the game, with coaches trying to come up with ways to beat the changed rules. I know I bang on a lot about rules, but we are seeing the results of those changes really effecting the game.

The worst thing is no new rule changes will make the game look like what some people think the game should look like. The only way I can see a positive effect is to reverse some of these rules.

As much as you bang on about the rules I bang on about this, incentivise high scoring for *!*!*!*!s sake. Do it with premiership points, do it with money, do it with whatever but just *!*!*!*!ing incentivise it.

We have been fatiguing players for four years now, we're scoring less. Removing two players a side from the ground will just mean 65 metres from goal will be defended instead of 75-75 metres and the downward trend will continue.

The fact that nobody in the media or at AFL HQ has tabled this as a solution in a material way suggests to me it's a winner. How do you think teams will play when they know they could still get rewarded with points or cash even if they lose? Probably the same way they play when they know they need a boost in percentage to make finals in the final few weeks of the home and away season...……

It's an out and out no brainer, but it will never be done.

The Underdog
12-06-2020, 09:27 PM
Well, Geelong and Hawthorn managed 9 goals in a quarter, so maybe the conditions, defensive play and the shitty skill level were more of a problem last night than the short quarters (I don’t want the short quarters to stay by any means, but some media narratives that the short quarters were responsible for the low scoring was a crock)

jeemak
12-06-2020, 09:48 PM
Junior looks like he's been in a good paddock over the break. He's still kicked a couple though.

jeemak
12-06-2020, 10:50 PM
I'm coming around to the prospect of the bigger teams playing at Geelong.

They should just cop it like Hawthorn is tonight.

EasternWest
12-06-2020, 10:54 PM
I'm coming around to the prospect of the bigger teams playing at Geelong.

They should just cop it like Hawthorn is tonight.

I can see some more cracks opening up in Jeff Kennett's stupid face the longer this game goes on.

Good.

bornadog
12-06-2020, 10:55 PM
Hawks about where I thought they are. Will not play finals, they just don't have the cattle on the paddock

The Underdog
12-06-2020, 11:16 PM
As much as I hate them, that was a super professional second half by the Cats.

bornadog
12-06-2020, 11:22 PM
As much as I hate them, that was a super professional second half by the Cats.

Pretty smooth movement of the ball, but Hawks also made them look good.

bornadog
12-06-2020, 11:25 PM
If Burgoyne doesn't get a week, then Hayes was dudded

jeemak
12-06-2020, 11:27 PM
A few Hawks supporters I know are really bullish, largely because they have Mitchell back. They don't really get that coming back from a leg like that is a tough gig and he can't be relied upon to be overly strong in close for a while yet even though that wasn't his go usually.

Geelong are good there. Worse sides than Hawthorn have done much much worse at Kardinia, tonight is a great example of why giving Geelong a few extra games there might be good for the other Victorian clubs who lose the MCG levelling.

jeemak
12-06-2020, 11:30 PM
If Burgoyne doesn't get a week, then Hayes was dudded

How was the apologetic nature of the commentary to get him off immediately. He didn't need to sling him with a pinned arm ball or no ball in hand, but he did and he should get a week. The commentators should have just said that and moved on.......but, you know, the code and all that bullshit.

Remi Moses
12-06-2020, 11:42 PM
Once again football opinion has jumped the gun .
See it every year , the one game conclusive overreaction
Last nights game was terrible ( we’ve always had that )
Mcevoy at full back ? Not sure to be honest, as I reckon he’s not mobile enough
Patton is also just not mobile enough

jeemak
13-06-2020, 12:21 AM
Adam Cooney post game makes me feel better about my relative position after isolation.

Relative financial position and public profile notwithstanding.

Happy Days
13-06-2020, 01:13 AM
How was the apologetic nature of the commentary to get him off immediately. He didn't need to sling him with a pinned arm ball or no ball in hand, but he did and he should get a week. The commentators should have just said that and moved on.......but, you know, the code and all that bullshit.

The AFL hype machine commentary booth has been kicked into overdrive to prevent any chance of the average viewer from thinking the product is maybe not gonna be so good for a while. They're letting the players off the hook for absolutely every error right now.

Makes me pine for the bitterness of Robert Walls.

comrade
13-06-2020, 07:37 AM
Adam Cooney post game makes me feel better about my relative position after isolation.

Relative financial position and public profile notwithstanding.

Chunked up?

jeemak
13-06-2020, 11:29 AM
Yeah, he looked like he'd enjoyed himself.

Remi Moses
13-06-2020, 11:54 AM
Ablett jnr looked like he was carrying a bit
The hoops reveal all though

westdog54
13-06-2020, 11:58 AM
The AFL hype machine commentary booth has been kicked into overdrive to prevent any chance of the average viewer from thinking the product is maybe not gonna be so good for a while. They're letting the players off the hook for absolutely every error right now.

Makes me pine for the bitterness of Robert Walls.

The worst thing about it is that the same people that will happily criticise AFLW for the same sort of stuff won't have a damned thing to say about a game like Thursday night.

Twodogs
13-06-2020, 12:39 PM

C'mon. He's a good bloke. Every Hawthorn player is a good bloke and should never be suspended ever.

Having said that Dangerfield is always busy on the field. He plays and umpires the game at the same time.

azabob
13-06-2020, 03:30 PM
Charlie Cameron really is a unique and a great player to watch as a neutral supporter.

He's kicked 4.1 not even halfway through the second quarter.

Hotdog60
13-06-2020, 04:07 PM
Fyfe doesn't look interested.

GVGjr
13-06-2020, 04:54 PM
Charlie Cameron really is a unique and a great player to watch as a neutral supporter.

He's kicked 4.1 not even halfway through the second quarter.

Agreed, he is an exciting player. The Lions are a good team again

The Underdog
13-06-2020, 05:05 PM
Man, Michael Walters is an absolute class footballer.

bornadog
13-06-2020, 06:18 PM
Nice to see Carlton getting done at this stage. 10 minutes left in the 2nd quarter and not even a point on the board.

comrade
13-06-2020, 06:29 PM
They need a fake bronx cheer for Carlton.

The Underdog
13-06-2020, 06:35 PM
Adam Tomlinson’s pass to Hunt for a goal was a beautiful thing.

Remi Moses
13-06-2020, 06:57 PM
Burgoyne gets off !
Surprise , surprise , surprise
Are the afl actually serious in deterring head injuries ?
Wil Hayes says hello
Top bloke rule envoked

Sedat
13-06-2020, 07:45 PM
.Melbourne doing Melbourne things.

1eyedog
13-06-2020, 08:12 PM
Burgoyne gets off !
Surprise , surprise , surprise
Are the afl actually serious in deterring head injuries ?
Wil Hayes says hello
Top bloke rule envoked

You cannot suspend a black fella during the black lives matter campaign! :D

jeemak
13-06-2020, 09:47 PM
Trent Mckenzie is getting a game. I thought he was done.

comrade
13-06-2020, 10:00 PM
Trent Mckenzie is getting a game. I thought he was done.

I was seriously shocked to see he was still on a list.

Eastdog
13-06-2020, 10:24 PM
We are currently 18th on the live ladder with a bad % :(

comrade
13-06-2020, 10:25 PM
We are currently 18th on the live ladder with a bad % :(

No one can bid on Marra at pick 1 if we have it. :D

Eastdog
13-06-2020, 10:32 PM
No one can bid on Marra at pick 1 if we have it. :D

Strong draft position though :D

Remi Moses
13-06-2020, 10:55 PM
Gold Coast giving the eagles a touch up
Adelaide are certainties for bottom 3
Although they’re playing Collingwood ;)

Remi Moses
13-06-2020, 10:57 PM
They more like Notts county than Collingwood

Dry Rot
13-06-2020, 11:39 PM
.Melbourne doing Melbourne things.

Demons are utter pea hearts.

jeemak
14-06-2020, 12:19 AM
Jaysus, tomorrow could dish up anything if today's results are something to go by.

Cue the sympathy for the WA teams...…...Adelaide however, what a shitshow.

I don't want to be, though I'm feeling a lot better about round one right now.

Happy Days
14-06-2020, 10:46 AM
So apparently Matt Rowell is just Nathan Buckley?

Here’s to hoping he wants to play in some premierships as well.

GVGjr
14-06-2020, 11:25 AM
So apparently Matt Rowell is just Nathan Buckley?

Here’s to hoping he wants to play in some premierships as well.

He's going to be a good player but it's hard to say now that he could be the next Buckley

The Underdog
14-06-2020, 12:41 PM
He's going to be a good player but it's hard to say now that he could be the next Buckley

He certainly seems like the kind of footballer who will squeeze everything he can out of his career. He’s super impressive.

Happy Days
14-06-2020, 12:47 PM

Maybe but he just put up probably the best second game of all time to lead his terrible side to a win over one of the best teams in it. If there were odds on it they wouldn't be long.

Sedat
14-06-2020, 04:34 PM
North very impressive against the Plastics, who are virtually at full strength. GWS got a taste of their own medicine, with a rabid and hostile opposition midfield pressuring their own higher credentialed names.

Remi Moses
14-06-2020, 04:38 PM
Gee the highly fancied top 4 took a hit
Eagles and the plastics losing and tigers and pies drawing

Remi Moses
14-06-2020, 04:38 PM
North very impressive against the Plastics, who are virtually at full strength. GWS got a taste of their own medicine, with a rabid and hostile opposition midfield pressuring their own higher credentialed names.

Let’s hope we don’t surrender meekly like last September

Rocket Science
14-06-2020, 04:41 PM
Giants only looked interested in spurts and Norf made them pay, aided by a lot of hard run and carry with numbers in support while the Fluoro's mids reminded me of ours when they're only prepared to run one way.

One week at a time and all that but memo to Bevo and the MC ...

GVGjr
14-06-2020, 04:42 PM

Goldy has been a big difference which helped North

josie
14-06-2020, 04:49 PM
North looked very good (I only saw last quarter and a half). Tough, uncompromising play. Looks like they have their fair share of Picko type players. I think Shaw might be a decent coach. Let’s hope Fluoro arseholes have drunk too much of their own bath water and think they will make the finals without concerted effort. Would be great if they struggle this year.

Looks like a very open season and so hope the doggies put in 100% effort and find a bit of inner mongrel.

mjp
14-06-2020, 05:18 PM
Gee the highly fancied top 4 took a hit
Eagles and the plastics losing and tigers and pies drawing

There is a reason why we play the games.

When ‘people’ talk about not watching a contest because team ‘x’ is Going to be too good, weekends like this always spring to mind. And we can all say what we want about Gold Coast, but no one should EVER say they don’t have talent. They were very good. I wouldn’t want to play them. As for north, well..they know who they are and they understand what their coach wants. Can any other team say the same thing?

GVGjr
14-06-2020, 05:27 PM
North looked very good (I only saw last quarter and a half). Tough, uncompromising play. Looks like they have their fair share of Picko type players. I think Shaw might be a decent coach. Let’s hope Fluoro arseholes have drunk too much of their own bath water and think they will make the finals without concerted effort. Would be great if they struggle this year.

Looks like a very open season and so hope the doggies put in 100% effort and find a bit of inner mongrel.

They have set themselves as a club that wants to be hard to beat and it shows.

GVGjr
14-06-2020, 05:33 PM
Essendon are off to a good start....unfortunately

Bulldog Joe
14-06-2020, 06:26 PM
Sydney hanging in.