PDA

View Full Version : How good was....Alistair Lynch?

Dry Rot
26-05-2020, 01:47 AM
Frankly I don't like Alistair Lynch, but I concede he is highly regarded.

Only saw the tail end of his career. Don't like the guy for many reasons, among them that choking sledge against Scotty West in final, one of the bravest Dogs I've seen. I don't his post retirement work either. Arrogant tool.

So how good was he? Was he better at Fitzroy or Brisbane? Did he always play forward? What current player is he most like?

GVGjr
26-05-2020, 08:54 AM
Terrific footballer and was a quality performer at both ends of the ground
The exemptions for his CFS didn't sit well with the football community but there is no denying about his ability to influence games

I don't think he compares with current day players because it was a very different game but he was very strong and reasonably athletic

His 10 year deal with Brisbane was ground breaking at the time

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-05-2020, 09:11 AM
Terrific footballer and was a quality performer at both ends of the ground
The exemptions for his CFS didn't sit well with the football community but there is no denying about his ability to influence games

I don't think he compares with current day players because it was a very different game but he was very strong and reasonably athletic

His 10 year deal with Brisbane was ground breaking at the time

My thoughts of Lynch are somewhat biased as I was in the crowd the night he mocked Scott West with a "choker" gesture near the end of a massive belting they handed us in a finals game. I wanna say 1999?

That gesture seemed to give entitlement to a lot of Lion supporting flogs to really rub in to Dogs supporters that night after the game.

Lynch was a fine player who overcame the effects of a debilitating illness to carve out a strong career, but that action really made me lose a lot of respect for him.

Happy Days
26-05-2020, 11:18 AM
My thoughts of Lynch are somewhat biased as I was in the crowd the night he mocked Scott West with a "choker" gesture near the end of a massive belting they handed us in a finals game. I wanna say 1999?

That gesture seemed to give entitlement to a lot of Lion supporting flogs to really rub in to Dogs supporters that night after the game.

Lynch was a fine player who overcame the effects of a debilitating illness to carve out a strong career, but that action really made me lose a lot of respect for him.

He wasn't wrong though.

Twodogs
26-05-2020, 12:39 PM
Good player but he was a turd. I loved it when Chris Grant took him to the cleaners one day at Whitten oval when he was playing for Fitzroy. He would feast on ordinary players but struggle on class opponents. IMO he was a bit of a flat track bully.

He did have one funny line though. He was handed (I want to say) a ten match ban after the 2004 grand final for the running battle with Wakelin even though he was retiring anyway. After round ten he said "Finally I can retire"

KT31
27-05-2020, 05:14 PM
He was a lot better player when he was granted permission to take roids.:rolleyes:

The Doctor
29-05-2020, 10:56 AM
I thought he was Brisbane's most important player during their triple premiership run.

But my favourite memory of him was being rag dolled & destroyed by the great Danny Delre in 1992. He was playing FB for Fitzroy and Delre went on one of his rampages & kicked 4 or 5 in a 1/4 or 1/2 on him. Memory a bit hazy on how many exactly, but the great colossus tore Lynch a brand new one that day.

Twodogs
29-05-2020, 01:38 PM
I thought he was Brisbane's most important player during their triple premiership run.

But my favourite memory of him was being rag dolled & destroyed by the great Danny Delre in 1992. He was playing FB for Fitzroy and Delre went on one of his rampages & kicked 4 or 5 in a 1/4 or 1/2 on him. Memory a bit hazy on how many exactly, but the great colossus tore Lynch a brand new one that day.

AFL tables is your friend:

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1992/060719920606.html

Axe Man
29-05-2020, 01:58 PM
AFL tables is your friend:

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1992/060719920606.html

How were some of the stats in that game?

Axe with 46 possessions and 2 goals with the 3 votes.
Scott Wynd with 21 touches, 9 marks and 19 hit outs with the 2.
Paul Roos 38 disposals got the 1 vote.

Chocco unlucky with 20 touches and 4 goals. Also Grant with 16 and 4 straight. And of course Del-re with 6.3.

bornadog
29-05-2020, 02:01 PM

Chocco unlucky with 20 touches and 4 goals. Also Grant with 16 and 4 straight. And of course Del-re with 6.3.

That team was good enough to go all the way if it wasn't for injuries to the big blokes, Foster and Wynd

Twodogs
29-05-2020, 02:03 PM

Incredible aren't they? Proper disposals too, not just floating out the back and looking for the cheapie. They were hard won touches. No wonder Fitzroy wanted Axe. He always turned it on against them.

Twodogs
29-05-2020, 02:17 PM
That team was good enough to go all the way if it wasn't for injuries to the big blokes, Foster and Wynd

Fossie's broken leg cost us badly.

The Doctor
29-05-2020, 02:40 PM
Fossie's broken leg cost us badly.

Not having Foster & Royal in the prelim was costly for us. Two of our best.

bornadog
29-05-2020, 03:01 PM
Not having Foster & Royal in the prelim was costly for us. Two of our best.

Wynd as well in the Qualifying

Twodogs
29-05-2020, 05:54 PM
Wynd as well in the Qualifying

And giving up a 5 goal lead halfway through the second quarter and conceding exactly 100 points in the second half. WTF was wrong with the model of our 1990s finals teams? We could find amazing ways to lose finals. We always come back to 1997 but we were all over the shop when it came to losing finals in several years in that decade.

I'm going outside to the backyard. There's a huge brick wall out there and I'm going to headbutt the *!*!*!*!er!

Remi Moses
30-05-2020, 07:19 PM
Great player
Remember the shock of the 10 year 1 mil contract
Back in the day .
Sadly for Fitzroy they had so much talent leave it basically destroyed them
Not a fan of him as a special comments man
Bang average

Remi Moses
30-05-2020, 07:21 PM
And giving up a 5 goal lead halfway through the second quarter and conceding exactly 100 points in the second half. WTF was wrong with the model of our 1990s finals teams? We could find amazing ways to lose finals. We always come back to 1997 but we were all over the shop when it came to losing finals in several years in that decade.

I'm going outside to the backyard. There's a huge brick wall out there and I'm going to headbutt the *!*!*!*!er!

Just grab the 2016 replay dogs , cures all ailments

Twodogs
30-05-2020, 11:05 PM
Just grab the 2016 replay dogs , cures all ailments

Found this today:

https://youtu.be/sYa8jRk6mqw

Made me feel a lot better. If you go to to Michael Marshall voice actor on YouTube click on channels and go right to the end he has captured all the ABC Radio broadcasts of every final. Not just the games either but all the prematch and postmatch as well. Some of them go for 6 hours. I've just listened to the prelim. Never heard the ABC Radio broadcast before.