PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 5 Vs North Melbourne 2020

Scraggers
14-06-2020, 02:31 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 4 match against Sydney for our Round 5, 2020 match against North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium on Saturday night?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
25-06-2020, 11:22 PM
Bump

The Bulldogs Bite
25-06-2020, 11:24 PM
Out - Lloyd, Naughton
In - Dickson, Young

Not sure we can go any younger (Weightman) and it seems Schache is out of favour for now. Young gives us better ruck coverage - just.

Hotdog60
25-06-2020, 11:27 PM
Out: Lloyd and Naughton

In: Lewis Young and one of Dickson, Green or Weightman

jazzadogs
25-06-2020, 11:32 PM
Out - Lloyd, Naughton
In - Dickson, Young

Not sure we can go any younger (Weightman) and it seems Schache is out of favour for now. Young gives us better ruck coverage - just.

This is how I see it happening. We've got a good break with the Saturday night game so hopefully nobody else needs to be rested or pulls up sore.

All of Vandermeer, Butler and West did enough to stay. Even performance across the ground.

Bruce's second half was significantly better. He definitely stays now that Naughton is out, and as long as he keeps crashing packs and applying pressure I would be happy for him to stay regardless.

Vred
25-06-2020, 11:35 PM
Out - Naughton, Lloyd
In - Schache, Dickson

If we had it in us, I'd also drop Bruce, his actually boarderline useless and needs to seriously hit the gym to work off that weight and build his strength.

westbulldog
25-06-2020, 11:54 PM
Out Naughton LLoyd
In Lewis Young Weightman

Didn't Young kick a few at FF in a pre-season game ? Marks well and kicks well.
Another thought is to put Sweet in to give Goldstein a hard time in ruck work and free up English.

bornadog
26-06-2020, 12:14 AM
Out - Naughton, Lloyd
In - Schache, Dickson

Young is not a forward, Schache is.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-06-2020, 12:19 AM
Out Naughton LLoyd
In Lewis Young Weightman

In light of giving Van Der Meer, Butler debuts and there being no VFL. Weightman waits...
We are already super young right now

Rocket Science
26-06-2020, 01:13 AM
Out - Naughton, Lloyd
In - Schache, Dickson

Bevo laughs heartily and says watch this space.

comrade
26-06-2020, 07:00 AM

Yep, that's like a red flag to a bull.

Bumper Bulldogs
26-06-2020, 07:43 AM
Out - Naughton, Lloyd
In - Schache, Dickson

Yep agree with you. I recon it’s a No Brainer. Team looks settled and balanced right now

bornadog
26-06-2020, 10:06 AM

Yep, that's like a red flag to a bull.

Careful Gardner may come in at FF :D

Danjul
26-06-2020, 10:32 AM
Careful Gardner may come in at FF :D
Could be an improvement.

I can’t see how Bruce can keep the spot. Rarely gets near the ball and seems to be a very poor kick. Last week could not make the distance from 35m and this week hit the post from 25. 4 bad games in a row.

could also consider Trengove, Schache, Young. Schache kicked about 20 goals in the last part of last season, I can remember 4 bags of three.

comrade
26-06-2020, 10:39 AM
Could be an improvement.

I can’t see how Bruce can keep the spot. Rarely gets near the ball and seems to be a very poor kick. Last week could not make the distance from 35m and this week hit the post from 25. 4 bad games in a row.

could also consider Trengove, Schache, Young. Schache kicked about 20 goals in the last part of last season, I can remember 4 bags of three.

At least you know with Schache, if he only has 3 kicks at goal in a game, he's invariably ending up with 3 goals.

Best set shot at the club (besides Wallis and Dicko but they max out at around 40m).

comrade
26-06-2020, 10:40 AM
Could be an improvement.

At least you know with Schache, if he only has 3 kicks at goal in a game, he's invariably ending up with 3 goals.

Best set shot at the club (besides Wallis and Dicko but they max out at around 40m).

The problem with Bruce though is if he doesn't play at AFL level, he doesn't really get a chance to work on his match fitness and will probably just end up ballooning out more.

Allen Jackovich 2.0 at this point.

bornadog
26-06-2020, 10:40 AM

I want Schache in if he is ready

Vred
26-06-2020, 12:08 PM
I want Schache in if he is ready

Schache *MUST* come in as our second tall in the forward line if they're so hell bent on keeping Bruce there.

My god if they bring Gowers back for Lloyd I'll be ropeable. This is Dicksons last year with us, he signed for one more year, let him go out with a couple more bags to his name.

1eyedog
26-06-2020, 12:31 PM
Out - Naughton, Lloyd
In - Schache, Dickson

Played all his junior football as a junior forward as well as with Sturt in the SANFL. Played forward for us in the preseason and played well. Is definitely a chance to come in.

The Pie Man
26-06-2020, 03:18 PM
Played all his junior football as a junior forward as well as with Sturt in the SANFL. Played forward for us in the preseason and played well. Is definitely a chance to come in.

I'd prefer Schache as a forward to Young, though Young offers that flexibility Bevo craves.

Plus when he played earlier this season, our mids were woeful and couldn't give him a good look at it.

If Lewis could replicate the preseason form in an actual senior game, he'd be worth playing.

azabob
26-06-2020, 03:37 PM
Huge huge huge test for Tim English against Todd Goldstein.

Do we back him in to go one and one or do we bring in Trengrove or Sweet for support?

Scorlibo
26-06-2020, 03:51 PM
Huge huge huge test for Tim English against Todd Goldstein.

Do we back him in to go one and one or do we bring in Trengrove or Sweet for support?

Given Sweet has been named an emergency in most games this year, it wouldn't surprise me to see him come in for Naughton, and rotate with English.

Ozza
26-06-2020, 04:10 PM
Given Sweet has been named an emergency in most games this year, it wouldn't surprise me to see him come in for Naughton, and rotate with English.

Unfortunately Sweet would need to be on a motorbike to keep up with Goldstein, and given that English is able to play almost the entire game time I don't think it is overly feasible. Having two rucks is something most teams are avoiding at the moment and the Swans did us a favour last night selecting two rucks.

I think Lewis Young's significant VFL period of playing ruck/forward - would position him as the likely fwd/second ruck if we are looking for that type of set up.

1eyedog
26-06-2020, 04:12 PM
I'd prefer Schache as a forward to Young, though Young offers that flexibility Bevo craves.

Plus when he played earlier this season, our mids were woeful and couldn't give him a good look at it.

If Lewis could replicate the preseason form in an actual senior game, he'd be worth playing.

Sames and Cordy and Keath have appeared very capable in the mens department over the past two weeks so not sure the flexibility Young could potentially provide is required.

DOG GOD
26-06-2020, 04:35 PM
If Schache isn’t selected this week, then there is a definite issue with him vs the MC...which I think there might be, so...

Out- Naughton, Lloyd
In - Dickson, Jong

Axe Man
26-06-2020, 04:41 PM

You must not be very easily surprised because I would fall off my chair if the match committee all of sudden changed philosophies.

I think with 4 emergencies able to be named it's common sense to always include ruck cover when you only play one ruckman.

Scorlibo
28-06-2020, 01:56 AM
You must not be very easily surprised because I would fall off my chair if the match committee all of sudden changed philosophies.

I think with 4 emergencies able to be named it's common sense to always include ruck cover when you only play one ruckman.

The common sense decision would be to name Trengove as the emergency because he can cover ruck and defence. From all reports Sweet had a good pre-season and his being consistently named an emergency suggests to me that he's in the mix. Then with Bruce out of form, I think the MC will be inclined to replace Naughton with another tall and what are the options? Le. Young, Schache, Gardner. Lewis Young seems the most likely inclusion but the Sweet/English combination might have some appeal.

Another factor at play is the lack of VFL football, providing a strong incentive for all clubs to rotate many players through the senior team, in order to keep them match fit and engaged.

jeemak
28-06-2020, 03:30 AM
The common sense decision would be to name Trengove as the emergency because he can cover ruck and defence. From all reports Sweet had a good pre-season and his being consistently named an emergency suggests to me that he's in the mix. Then with Bruce out of form, I think the MC will be inclined to replace Naughton with another tall and what are the options? Le. Young, Schache, Gardner. Lewis Young seems the most likely inclusion but the Sweet/English combination might have some appeal.

Another factor at play is the lack of VFL football, providing a strong incentive for all clubs to rotate many players through the senior team, in order to keep them match fit and engaged.

Good to hear from you mate.

Given you've been away, on the first point it's probably something you don't have to worry about. 99% of Woofers want Trengove in the team.

I would prefer Schache over anyone to come in for Naughton, he gets a few opportunities a game and usually converts them. Providing he is fit I don't see how he's not our best long term option in a year we're being youth perverts.

I'd put in Fergus for Lloyd.

azabob
28-06-2020, 09:01 AM
Good to hear from you mate.

Given you've been away, on the first point it's probably something you don't have to worry about. 99% of Woofers want Trengove in the team.

I would prefer Schache over anyone to come in for Naughton, he gets a few opportunities a game and usually converts them. Providing he is fit I don't see how he's not our best long term option in a year we're being youth perverts.

I'd put in Fergus for Lloyd.

If Schache is to play he needs Bruce to also play and take the number one defender.

GVGjr
28-06-2020, 10:31 AM
I think there are two logical changes to the side to play North given the injuries we had on Thursday night
Schache for Naughton makes sense
Greene or Dickson for Lloyd also makes sense. We might even roll the dice on playing Weightman

Or could it make more sense to bring in two taller players as an insurance to cover Brown and Goldstein as there is a strong chance we might have to use Cordy in the ruck for a period of time.
Could Lewis Young or Gardener be in consideration?

North have two taller players that can dominate against us in Goldy and Brown plus a number of mid sized players like Thomas, Zurhaar, Ziebell, Hall, Higgins, Simpkin and Anderson that can impact the scoreboard so it's going to be a great test for us

I think we need to bring in two taller players but I concede that is probably unlikely,

merantau
28-06-2020, 10:42 AM

The problem with Bruce though is if he doesn't play at AFL level, he doesn't really get a chance to work on his match fitness and will probably just end up ballooning out more.

Allen Jackovich 2.0 at this point.

OMFG! Allen Jackovich. On $$$ for goals he was in a class of his own. If I never hear that name again ...

Bulldog Joe
28-06-2020, 10:57 AM
I think there are two logical changes to the side to play North given the injuries we had on Thursday night
Schache for Naughton makes sense
Greene or Dickson for Lloyd also makes sense. We might even roll the dice on playing Weightman

Or could it make more sense to bring in two taller players as an insurance to cover Brown and Goldstein as there is a strong chance we might have to use Cordy in the ruck for a period of time.
Could Lewis Young or Gardener be in consideration?

North have two taller players that can dominate against us in Goldy and Brown plus a number of mid sized players like Thomas, Zurhaar, Ziebell, Hall, Higgins, Simpkin and Anderson that can impact the scoreboard so it's going to be a great test for us

I think we need to bring in two taller players but I concede that is probably unlikely,

While i don't disagree with your reasoning, I can't see that happening.

The fact that north have those taller players is more likely to encourage Bevo to go small.

Surely we are due to play Weightman. After only we have only debuted 3 players in 4 rounds of footy.

My personal choice would be
Schache or Lew Young to replace Naughton
Jong (if fit) deserves his spot and that would cover Lloyd and I can't think of anyone from last week who would deserve to miss.

bornadog
28-06-2020, 11:31 AM

There have been at least two scratch matches in the last two weeks against North and Collingwood. I haven't seen any results or reports on who has played well.

I really don't know who is going to play against Brown.

I like GVGjr idea of bringing in two talls.

Trengove on Brown, Schache to the forward line.

jazzadogs
28-06-2020, 11:33 AM
Why wouldn't Keath be playing on Brown, the same way that he dominated Jeremy Cameron?

bornadog
28-06-2020, 11:35 AM
Why wouldn't Keath be playing on Brown, the same way that he dominated Jeremy Cameron?

I don't see him as a one on one, but yeah, he did play well against Cameron.

Happy Days
28-06-2020, 12:20 PM
Brown sucks. I refuse to gameplan for him and I will die on this hill. Every time he touches the ball in general play it looks like it's for the first time ever.

I think we need to look at putting some time into Simpkin. Could be a job for McLean although he isn't really the type of player we've been using McLean to target.

Danjul
28-06-2020, 12:35 PM
Brown sucks. I refuse to gameplan for him and I will die on this hill. Every time he touches the ball in general play it looks like it's for the first time ever.

I think we need to look at putting some time into Simpkin. Could be a job for McLean although he isn't really the type of player we've been using McLean to target.

If you negate Goldstein then you automatically restrict Brown, and their midfielders.

azabob
28-06-2020, 02:04 PM
I don't see him as a one on one, but yeah, he did play well against Cameron.

BAD, Keith has to be our first choice one on one defender otherwise it falls to Cordy.

I had the same opinion of Keith until the Giants game against Cameron.

If he gets support from our midfield and forwards with defensive pressure and we set up the ground properly he can be our number 1 one on one defender and succeed.

Ozza
29-06-2020, 11:24 AM
The reality of the Ben Brown match up - is that it doesn't really matter who you play on him if you allow enough space for him to lead and don't put enough pressure on the ball to stop the ball coming in to him easily. If Brown has space and the ball is coming in to him on the lead, then he kicks goals. He isn't going to take pack marks and beat us that way - although he will get hammered in the press this weak for his pathetic efforts vs Hawthorn so may at least be more competitive in the air.

Against Sydney, there were periods in the game where their small players were getting hit up on the lead. It is a backline that doesn't have much experience playing together.

Pretty important that we can get the upper hand in the middle, and pretty important that when we get it into our front half, that we're able to keep it there.

1eyedog
29-06-2020, 05:00 PM
Ins: Schache, Weightman, Dickson
Outs: Naughton, Vandermeer, Lloyd

Not sold on Vandermeer a nice sidestep and mark and goal is great but a 7 disposal game against Sydney was damning. He's not overly quick, strong or aggressive, bit of an almost player to me with a penetrating kick. Try him again later in the season if we have injuries.

I'd play Weightman across half forward.

Remi Moses
29-06-2020, 05:02 PM
If our mids dominate this game
We could put Caleb Daniel on him . Hopefully Cunnington misses another week

The Pie Man
29-06-2020, 05:28 PM
Have been pretty happy with Lloyd's pressure the past few weeks, so was a shame to see him hurt on Thursday - but it does present an opportunity to set up our forward line more in line with the lock it in approach we all would agree we need.

Despite it youthening* our side even more, Weightman must be a huge chance to come in.

Would stick with Vandermeer. though if Jong is fit (how long is he supposed to be out for?) then he probably would take his spot.

Schache, Young...Schache, Young..... Schache for mine, though Young offers more flexibility. Will neither play?

*that's a word now

bulldogsthru&thru
29-06-2020, 05:45 PM
The reality of the Ben Brown match up - is that it doesn't really matter who you play on him if you allow enough space for him to lead and don't put enough pressure on the ball to stop the ball coming in to him easily. If Brown has space and the ball is coming in to him on the lead, then he kicks goals. He isn't going to take pack marks and beat us that way - although he will get hammered in the press this weak for his pathetic efforts vs Hawthorn so may at least be more competitive in the air.

Against Sydney, there were periods in the game where their small players were getting hit up on the lead. It is a backline that doesn't have much experience playing together.

Pretty important that we can get the upper hand in the middle, and pretty important that when we get it into our front half, that we're able to keep it there.

Yeah the game pretty much all comes down to this. Unfortuantely it hasn't been our strong point lately. Even last week we allowed Papley quite a few marks on the lead. We didn't do too bad but it was also on the small SCG where space is even more hard to come by. At the larger Marvel it will be even more critical that our mids and backs be disciplined as Brown will carve us a new one if he's allowed space to lead into. Remember we are the bulldogs. Who tall, gangly, low talent forwards thrive against.

Mofra
29-06-2020, 05:49 PM
Ins: Schache, Weightman, Dickson
Outs: Naughton, Vandermeer, Lloyd

Not sold on Vandermeer a nice sidestep and mark and goal is great but a 7 disposal game against Sydney was damning. He's not overly quick, strong or aggressive, bit of an almost player to me with a penetrating kick. Try him again later in the season if we have injuries.

I'd play Weightman across half forward.
Say what? He's one of the quickest players we have.

bornadog
29-06-2020, 05:56 PM
Cavarra is available, Wood and Jong are a test so may come in?

Rocco Jones
29-06-2020, 06:05 PM

Yep. Vanders also has a sweet sidestep.

1eyedog
29-06-2020, 06:08 PM

Lol do you really think he's quick? I don't. I mean he's ok but, you know he's not quick enough to mask all his other deficiencies. I'm not putting him on the meat hook. He's a neat player and could be useful down the track but when others come back from injury he'll be shelved pretty quickly I would have thought.

1eyedog
29-06-2020, 06:14 PM
Yep. Vanders also has a sweet sidestep.

Ok we better keep playing him then.

FrediKanoute
29-06-2020, 06:22 PM
Lol do you really think he's quick? I don't. I mean he's ok but, you know he's not quick enough to mask all his other deficiencies. I'm not putting him on the meat hook. He's a neat player and could be useful down the track but when others come back from injury he'll be shelved pretty quickly I would have thought.

I am not so sure. I think Bevo sees him as playing a role and he is playing it pretty well. Maybe when Hunter comes back he may drop out, but I think its more likely that Bevo will drop someone else. I like what he brings. at the moment he seems to bob up in the right spots. With more games he will make more of the right decisions.

comrade
29-06-2020, 06:42 PM
Cavarra is available, Wood and Jong are a test so may come in?

I think Cavarra would be make a nice replacement for Lloyd but if he hasn't played in any of the scratch matches, he might be overlooked.

I'd go with Schache & Cavarra/Weightman for Naughton & Lloyd.

If Vandermeer is feeling the pinch, then Jong or Hayes could be options and would probably be more productive.

Happy Days
29-06-2020, 07:08 PM
I feel like I’m on a bit of an island here but we’re gonna miss Lloyd more than we think. Him and Naughton are our two best pressure forwards and as impressive as West was last week he’s still unproven. Goes without saying but I don’t trust Dale to keep it up either.

Cavarra *can* do it but I really get the sense he doesn’t really like to. And I reckon Weightman is one teenage body too many. Bit of a conundrum.

comrade
29-06-2020, 07:21 PM
I feel like I’m on a bit of an island here but we’re gonna miss Lloyd more than we think. Him and Naughton are our two best pressure forwards and as impressive as West was last week he’s still unproven. Goes without saying but I don’t trust Dale to keep it up either.

Cavarra *can* do it but I really get the sense he doesn’t really like to. And I reckon Weightman is one teenage body too many. Bit of a conundrum.

Still sad that we missed on Kozzie Pickett. He's an absolute menace in the forward 50.

Happy Days
29-06-2020, 07:25 PM
Still sad that we missed on Kozzie Pickett. He's an absolute menace in the forward 50.

We've gotta stop snitching on ourselves before the draft. Has cost us a few times.

bornadog
30-06-2020, 12:16 AM

I now what you mean. I am expecting the unexpected this week.

Bulldog Joe
30-06-2020, 09:27 AM

This point just about confirms that Weightman will play. Bevo certainly won't be put off by having an extra teenager in the side.

Mofra
30-06-2020, 09:45 AM
"lol" yes - and he has shown that plenty of times last year in the VFL.
Player interviews all say he brings pace to the side - his teammates are all wrong?

Mofra
30-06-2020, 09:47 AM
This point just about confirms that Weightman will play. Bevo certainly won't be put off by having an extra teenager in the side.
If Wood is ready, I assume he comes in for Butler so it would be one kid for another.
Wally becomes our virtual forwardline on field coach. It would be tough as Lloyd runs good patterns, as you have to in the HF graveyard.

1eyedog
30-06-2020, 10:08 AM
"lol" yes - and he has shown that plenty of times last year in the VFL.
Player interviews all say he brings pace to the side - his teammates are all wrong?

He's s not quick enough to hold his place in the team based on our need for that. Sure he's pacy and make us quicker but I have a number of players in front of him in this department including Jong, Lynch and two or three players currently playing.

Anyway, my point is he's not super quick and while he brings a bit of pace to the team I think he needs to bring something more than he currently does to hold his place.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-06-2020, 12:08 PM
He's s not quick enough to hold his place in the team based on our need for that. Sure he's pacy and make us quicker but I have a number of players in front of him in this department including Jong, Lynch and two or three players currently playing.

Anyway, my point is he's not super quick and while he brings a bit of pace to the team I think he needs to bring something more than he currently does to hold his place.

He's not setting the world on fire but surely it's enough to see he is worth persisting with, all things considered. No doubt he'll be given a rest at some point/others will earn a spot, but he's been playing as a half forward - not an easy spot for a kid to come in and play, particularly the way the game's played. He's won some solid one on ones (v Rampe, and one v Saints but can't remember who it was against) to suggest that he has some strength.

Mofra
30-06-2020, 12:49 PM

HF is a tough gig at AFL level - and I'd say if Jong wasn't injured he wouldn't be getting an opportunity anyway.
I like his swagger. He's raw and not quite ready but all things considered he's doing ok.

I imagine it would have been line-ball between he and Weightman a couple of weeks ago, and they went with the guy who had the extra pre-season under his belt.

Axe Man
30-06-2020, 12:58 PM
Bulldog injuries hand out-of-favour forwards chance to shine (https://www.afl.com.au/news/459410/bulldog-injuries-hand-out-of-favour-forwards-chance-to-shine)

REPLACING Aaron Naughton is a seriously tough task for the Western Bulldogs.

The 20-year-old is set to miss the next two months with an ankle syndesmosis injury, a cruel blow for the club, considering star midfielder Josh Dunkley went down with the same injury just a week prior.

With recruit Josh Bruce struggling to fire, the key forward roles are now the number one issue coach Luke Beveridge has to get right over the coming weeks.

Former No.2 draft pick Josh Schache had a solid return last year, kicking a career-high 24 goals in 14 games.

The former Lion does not crash packs and provide the same aerial threat that Naughton does, but he does make the most of his set shots.

Despite that, it was clear he was nowhere near Beveridge's selection mix as recently as two weeks ago.

"He's (Schache) a listed player who's still got a promising future, but he's not in the team at the moment," Beveridge said after the round two loss to St Kilda.

With circumstances changing dramatically it's not out of the question that Schache can work his way back, but he must bang the door down at training.

If Beveridge wants to replace Naughton with a marking option, then defender-turned-forward Lewis Young might be the best choice.

Young turned heads in the Marsh Community Series with three goals against North Melbourne, but failed to fire in round one and has yet to crack back into the team following football's return.

The ability is certainly there for Young, but the forward craft is coming along slowly as some defensive habits continue to creep in.

Succeeding as a forward is all mental for the 21-year-old.

"Trying to keep the game simple and not trying to do much with or without the ball is really important, especially as a key forward if you try and think too much you can get in your own head and play yourself out of the game," Young told AFL.com.au.

"Playing as a defender you spend half your time looking at your opponent and half the time at the ball.

"Moving from that mindset is important to me."

Positioning has also been a major growth area that Young has put time into.

"I'm trying to stay in line with the ball and not drifting into positions where I'm not relevant to where the ball is going to be," Young said.

"Just trying to stay in the line of the goals so I can use my strengths, which is to run and jump at the ball and bring the ball to ground or clunk a couple of marks."

1eyedog
30-06-2020, 01:02 PM
It will be interesting to see who we go with. I think Schache has worked really hard on making a contest and I'm keen to see him play. Either way Bruce needs to stand up and get to more contests now that Naughts is down.

Rocket Science
30-06-2020, 02:16 PM
Is Schache out of contract at season's end?

And are there two more ominous words to emerge from the mouth of your coach than "listed player"?

Axe Man
30-06-2020, 02:25 PM

And are there two more ominous words to emerge from the mouth of your coach than "listed player"?

No - contracted until the end of 2022. I've got a whole thread about contracts - you should check it out.;)

EasternWest
30-06-2020, 03:37 PM
No - contracted until the end of 2022. I've got a whole thread about contracts - you should check it out.;)

Never heard of it :).

jeemak
30-06-2020, 08:30 PM
Never heard of it :).

News to me.

jeemak
30-06-2020, 08:32 PM

I think it was a fairly well aimed and calculated whack, though not sure it's anything more than that.

Bumper Bulldogs
30-06-2020, 08:46 PM
So Tarrant snd Zebel are both out. If we get the job done on Higgins we will be in fir a really good night.

bornadog
30-06-2020, 08:47 PM
So Tarrant snd Zebel are both out. If we get the job done on Higgins we will be in fir a really good night.Hopefully Cunnington doesn't come up either

Bumper Bulldogs
30-06-2020, 10:50 PM
Hopefully Cunnington doesn't come up either

Great opportunity to go 3 and 2 and move up into the top eight.

Eastdog
30-06-2020, 11:03 PM
Great opportunity to go 3 and 2 and move up into the top eight.

Very winnable game.

Vred
30-06-2020, 11:23 PM
Very winnable game.

this game is won at the selection table, you know if Gowers or Gardner are picked we’re already in for a tough one.

Topdog
30-06-2020, 11:25 PM
this game is won at the selection table, you know if Gowers or Gardner are picked we’re already in for a tough one.

Apparently Gowers will likely be done for breaking the players rules on socialising

Vred
30-06-2020, 11:28 PM
Apparently Gowers will likely be done for breaking the players rules on socialising

Well that’s one of them at least..

Eastdog
30-06-2020, 11:34 PM

Yes for sure. Early 2018 Gowers was good though.

G-Mo77
01-07-2020, 09:23 AM

Again? Or is this back with the Hunter debacle? If he's done it again just cut ties now, it's idiotic.

Axe Man
01-07-2020, 11:40 AM
AFL.com's take:

Lewis Young and Josh Schache will be in line to replace gun forward Aaron Naughton (ankle syndesmosis) who is set to miss up to two months. Cody Weightman could make his debut with Sam Lloyd (broken collarbone) sidelined for at least a month. Tory Dickson could be in the mix, while Easton Wood and Lin Jong will be pushing to get their spots back too.
Verdict: Lewis Young, Cody Weightman, Easton Wood and Lin Jong replace Aaron Naughton, Sam Lloyd, Ed Richards and Louis Butler. - Jourdan Canil

I would be surprised if we made 4 changes and Ed Richards was among them. But then I really shouldn't be surprised by anything the match committee do.

Axe Man
01-07-2020, 11:50 AM
So Tarrant snd Zebel are both out. If we get the job done on Higgins we will be in fir a really good night.

Where has it been reported that Tarrant is out? He is listed as a test (as are Ziebell and Cunnington).

1eyedog
01-07-2020, 12:37 PM
Would think Tarrant will play he got a knock to the ribs but came back on. Zeibell is less likely than likely to play I would have thought. He was on the bench late in the game with ice on his hammy.

Agreed it would be super weird if Richards is fit and is omitted.

Topdog
01-07-2020, 08:07 PM
Again? Or is this back with the Hunter debacle? If he's done it again just cut ties now, it's idiotic.

This was to do with an Instagram post that was quickly deleted

FrediKanoute
01-07-2020, 11:20 PM
AFL.com's take:

I would be surprised if we made 4 changes and Ed Richards was among them. But then I really shouldn't be surprised by anything the match committee do.

Why would we drop Richards? He has been great this year.

jeemak
01-07-2020, 11:30 PM

Well it would be a bad look wouldn't it. Remember he didn't get sanctioned seriously over the Hunter affair, and it was probably for good reason in lieu of the situation that arrived at his door step.

Let's wait it out and see what the actual breach was. It could be as simple as a family member visiting his house, a cleaner coming over when they shouldn't have.

Hotdog60
02-07-2020, 07:25 PM
Western Bulldogs v North Melbourne, Marvel Stadium, 7.40pm AEST

WESTERN BULLDOGS
In: J.Schache, E.Wood, L.Jong
Out: A.Naughton (ankle), L.Butler (omitted), S.Lloyd (collarbone)

NORTH MELBOURNE
In: B.Cunnington, J.Macmillan
Out: J.Ziebell (hamstring), P.Ahern (omitted)

bornadog
02-07-2020, 07:26 PM
Good ins

Hotdog60
02-07-2020, 07:31 PM
Emer: Louis Butler, Billy Gowers, Jordon Sweet, Ryan Gardner

Rocket Science
02-07-2020, 07:44 PM
Fascinated to see how Schache slots back in and whether he can mount a case there's a regular spot for him.

Pleasing that Jongy was able to get back so quickly too. May he pick up where he frenetically left off.

Twodogs
02-07-2020, 07:56 PM
Fascinated to see how Schache slots back in and whether he can mount a case there's a regular spot for him.

Pleasing that Jongy was able to get back so quickly too. May he pick up where he frenetically left off.

Really pleased to see Jongy back.

Dancin' Douggy
02-07-2020, 07:57 PM
Good ins

Yep. Very happy with those inclusions.

EasternWest
02-07-2020, 08:01 PM
Western Bulldogs v North Melbourne, Marvel Stadium, 7.40pm AEST

WESTERN BULLDOGS
In: J.Schache, E.Wood, L.Jong
Out: A.Naughton (ankle), L.Butler (omitted), S.Lloyd (collarbone)

NORTH MELBOURNE
In: B.Cunnington, J.Macmillan
Out: J.Ziebell (hamstring), P.Ahern (omitted)

No problem with these, feel for Butler though.

comrade
Bevo's love for Lin Jong knows no bounds.

EasternWest

He's not alone.

kruder
02-07-2020, 08:05 PM

Deserves to be in the side.

comrade
02-07-2020, 08:09 PM
Deserves to be in the side.

As a replacement for Lloyd? I disagree.

kruder
02-07-2020, 08:14 PM

Who said he is replacing Lloyd directly?

Twodogs
02-07-2020, 08:20 PM

Like for like he'd more be performing Butler's role wouldn't he?

comrade
02-07-2020, 08:20 PM

Well is he coming in for Naughton or Butler?

The reality is he'll play mainly midfield which means the likes of McLean & Lipinski will be pushed around up forward.

End result we're losing one genuine forward, and he's being replaced by some sort of midfield/half forward in a hybrid role.

Would have preferred a genuine forward like Dickson or Weightman coming in to replace Lloyd.

comrade
02-07-2020, 08:21 PM
Like for like he'd more be performing Butler's role wouldn't he?

So Wood is replacing Lloyd?

1eyedog
02-07-2020, 08:27 PM
No Majak Daw good.

Jongy can play forward. Great mark but sprays them a bit.Wood is a massive in for our structure and direction. Norf would be spewing.

kruder
02-07-2020, 08:38 PM
Well is he coming in for Naughton or Butler?

The reality is he'll play mainly midfield which means the likes of McLean & Lipinski will be pushed around up forward.

End result we're losing one genuine forward, and he's being replaced by some sort of midfield/half forward in a hybrid role.

Would have preferred a genuine forward like Dickson or Weightman coming in to replace Lloyd.

Wood plays 3rd tall which allows Williams and Crozier a little more freedom ala butler.

I think Vanda is the perfect Lloyd replacement in theory has better small forward attributes than Lloyd, while agree Lippa, Mclean and West will help out in this area also.

Jongy will play wing, midfield and high half forward interchanging with the players above. We have won the last two weeks because of the aggression at the contest across the board, Jongy adds to it.

Outside of Naughty of course, we are a better side this week its nice to add some maturity to the group.

Twodogs
02-07-2020, 09:10 PM
So Wood is replacing Lloyd?

Dunno about that but Jongy will play on the wing. If Lin didn't come up this week then Louis would probably have played again I reckon.

Bumper Bulldogs
02-07-2020, 10:35 PM
GeeWiz. Looks like a really good opportunity to gain some list percentage this wee.

FrediKanoute
02-07-2020, 11:19 PM
3 good ins. Side better balanced. Dale will play more forward than last week.

AutoFill
02-07-2020, 11:41 PM
Noted. Pretty disappointing but am I surprised?? No.
Emer: Louis Butler, Billy Gowers, Jordon Sweet, Ryan Gardner

Jeanette54
03-07-2020, 11:32 AM
With Lachie Hunter available next week, I am sure that our mid fielders would be desperate to perform his week. Nothing motivates like competition for a place in the team.

comrade
03-07-2020, 11:34 AM
Was thinking about Jongy's inclusion, maybe he's going to be Timmy's ruck partner for the night?

bornadog
03-07-2020, 11:42 AM
Was thinking about Jongy's inclusion, maybe he's going to be Timmy's ruck partner for the night?

He deserves his spot, he did well in the two games he played.

1eyedog
03-07-2020, 11:44 AM
Noted. Pretty disappointing but am I surprised?? No.

Schache and Dale need to perform. Simple as that.

1eyedog
03-07-2020, 11:45 AM
Wood plays 3rd tall which allows Williams and Crozier a little more freedom ala butler.

I think Vanda is the perfect Lloyd replacement in theory has better small forward attributes than Lloyd, while agree Lippa, Mclean and West will help out in this area also.

Jongy will play wing, midfield and high half forward interchanging with the players above. We have won the last two weeks because of the aggression at the contest across the board, Jongy adds to it.

Outside of Naughty of course, we are a better side this week its nice to add some maturity to the group.

Huh? Vanda has better forward craft than our leading goal kicker last year?

Nuggety Back Pocket
03-07-2020, 03:30 PM
Good to see Schache back as Bruce who replaced him is yet to impress. Wood’s experience makes the team look stronger whilst Jong’s competitive spirit and determination is also a good inclusion.
North will provide much tougher opposition than Sydney and always play well against us.
Expect another close encounter.

Ozza
03-07-2020, 05:05 PM
He deserves his spot, he did well in the two games he played.

Personally, I think we set the performance/expectations bar quite low for Jongy and he gets a fair bit of love for having a crack.
Can't fault his effort, and whilst we certainly have enough youth in the side - Jong is 27 years of age and has eeked out 60 odd games and never really been embedded in the senior team.

My preference would have been a specialist forward to come in so that we can have one less mid rotating forward - because we just aren't getting bang for buck when mids go forward.

bornadog
03-07-2020, 05:23 PM
Personally, I think we set the performance/expectations bar quite low for Jongy and he gets a fair bit of love for having a crack.
Can't fault his effort, and whilst we certainly have enough youth in the side - Jong is 27 years of age and has eeked out 60 odd games and never really been embedded in the senior team.

My preference would have been a specialist forward to come in so that we can have one less mid rotating forward - because we just aren't getting bang for buck when mids go forward.

The only other player that was a possible is Dickson, and we don't know where he is at.

1eyedog
04-07-2020, 12:18 AM
The only other player that was a possible is Dickson, and we don't know where he is at.

Agreed and I'm leaning more towards Jong's experience as opposed to an inexperienced forward.

Eastdog
04-07-2020, 12:20 AM
I like those inclusions. Hopefully Schache will have an immediate affect in that forward line.