6.6 to 8.4 at last update on
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418315

Can't get best players for us.

hujsh
29-02-2008, 09:38 PM
50-59 we're up

hujsh
29-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Don't have score but we've kicked 11 goals and apparently 9 are from frees/50m penalties.

hujsh
29-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Don't have score but were 10 up again and of our 11 goals apparently 9 are from frees/50m penalties.

hujsh
29-02-2008, 09:51 PM
It's Dogs 11.7 to Dees 9.9 at 3 quarter time. We have the wind so it's ours to lose. If anyone gets the best players that would be awesome

hujsh
29-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Acker only player mentioned as having a good game for us so far. Hill has played well but panicked with the ball apparently.

Dry Rot
29-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks for this hujsh

hujsh
29-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Game called off 3 minutes early due to the light failing. We won by 30 points and Acker got BOG.

hujsh
29-02-2008, 10:50 PM
OK...Apart from Acker....Grif played well, Someone said Will, "was reasonable up forward. Contested each time and was looking somewhat dangerous," and O'Keefe Ward and Mulligan kicked a goal each. Mulligan kicked it into the breeze after "taking a nice mark 40 odd metres out"

hujsh
29-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Wight played. He laid an excellent tackle in the centre square that resulted in a griffin goal...but then two minutes later he had the ball on the wing, and made a simple handballing error under no pressure at all, which eventually led to Melbourne taking the ball deep into their forward line when we should have been setting up a goal ourselves.

Sounds like him

hujsh
29-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks for this hujsh

I'm not doing anything special.

LostDoggy
29-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Yeah thanks for updated Hujsh.

Aker pretty much got BOG vs Roos NAB Cup Rd1 too yeah?

Good signs i guess, hopefully the way hes playing goes well towards 2008. I went to the essendon game and he was one of the better players on field too...

hujsh
29-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Yeah thanks for updated Hujsh.

Aker pretty much got BOG vs Roos NAB Cup Rd1 too yeah?

Good signs i guess, hopefully the way hes playing goes well towards 2008. I went to the essendon game and he was one of the better players on field too...

From what i remember he was OK but not BOG. The usual midteens possession games we often saw from him later in the year.

alwaysadog
29-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Will be very interesting to read a full review, the Dees usually give us a lot of trouble. So a very good result and quite surprising after our performance last week especially with a few more regulars out tonight.
A positive that suggests the doom sayers may not be totally correct.

hujsh
29-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Now for the most important news...

NO APPARENT INJURIES!

Lights turning off with 10 minutes left may be a blessing

LostDoggy
01-03-2008, 12:49 AM
Lights going off was the funniest thing ive seen in a while, not a whole lot but better than nothing, hopefully there were othe people watching that could provide more info than me.

And the LIGHTS GO OUT with around 5mins to go, hahahahaah, funniest thing, ball was in out bloody forward line as well, we won by 5 goals, game got called off cause i doubt the dees would have won.

Guy kicked a goal.

Aker got best og ground, alough i thought it should have went to griff or eags.

Guy kicked a goal.

Not sure what happened to stacky, something to do with his hip, they put protection there and tape,and he went back ou on the ground.

Guy kicked a goal.

They took mitchy off about half way through the last qtr with calf tightness, although i did hear him say i could jsut feel it pulling but its not hurting anymore than it was.

Guy kicked a goal.

Um whatelse, cam wight laid a pretty good tackle, benny hudson loved it, as im sure someone else on this site did as well.

Guy kicked a goal.

Rocket had to coach from the sidelines cause the phones broke down, so from about half way through the 2nd qtr he was on the boundary, almost jumping onto the field, hehe, was great to see what hes like in his coaching role.

I think thats about it, apart from GUY KICKED A GOAL.

BulldogBelle
01-03-2008, 01:21 AM
Here is an article on the game, Aker was super impressive by the sounds of things..

Dogs beat Demons by 30 as power fails (http://livenews.com.au/Articles/2008/02/29/Dogs_beat_Demons_by_30_as_power_fails)
01/03/08

The Western Bulldogs won Friday night's NAB Challenge match for the Tynan-Eyre Cup against Melbourne in a game that ended in farcical circumstances at Bendigo's Queen Elizabeth Oval (QEO).

At the 13-minute mark of the final term, with the Bulldogs having kicked away to a comfortable 14.9 (93) to 9.9 (63) advantage, the power at the stadium went off, plunging the ground into darkness.

With the lights out the game - which was played in front of a crowd of about 7,000 - was called off with 12 minutes still remaining.

The Bulldogs were surging into their forward line when the blackout occurred and halted play.

"It was quite strange (the way the game ended), but luckily, the ball was going out of play and no one was seriously hurt," Melbourne ruckman Jeff White said.

The Demons lost their third game from as many outings this pre-season, while their night was further soured by the report of star forward Russell Robertson.

Robertson, who kicked two goals, was booked early in the final term for charging Bulldogs rookie James Mulligan.

After some inaccuracy from both sides early, the Demons used the breeze to kick the first five goals of the game and race to a 31-point lead in the first term.

Matthew Bate and the mercurial Aaron Davey were in everything early for the Demons.

The Bulldogs then kicked the last two goals of the final term through best-on-ground Jason Akermanis and Nathan Eagleton to cut the margin to 19 points at quarter-time.

The Dogs then dominated the rest of the game from that point onwards.

After Melbourne's Nathan Jones kicked the first goal of the second quarter three minutes in, the Bulldogs ended the term by piling on 6.1 to just 0.2 as their hard-working midfielders in Akermanis, Shaun Higgins, Eagleton and Adam Cooney took control.

The Bulldogs led by 10 points at halftime and were rarely troubled after the main break.

Akermanis played a mix of half-forward and on-ball and his sublime skills in the windy conditions, coupled with his two goals, made him a standout.

Among the others to impress for the Bulldogs was 19-year-old Josh Hill, who has played just one AFL game.

Higgins' work out of the centre square was first-rate, captain Brad Johnson worked his way into the game in the second half, while ruckman Peter Street battled valiantly against the three-pronged Demon big man brigade of White, Paul Johnson and Mark Jamar.

LostDoggy
01-03-2008, 01:59 AM
G'day guys.... First time poster and long time time reader on this great board!!

Just got back from the game tonight...

We looked really good in that second half and there were very positive signs going into the year ahead.

Higgins is just pure class on the ball, socomposed for a young kid, never rushes always has great peripheral vision and uses it well. Look out when he actually build his engine and can run it out for more than 5 minutes a quarter, all class.

Hill showed signs that he is not a flash in the pan and hopefully he'll see some senior footy this year.

Aker was really good tonight and did some mecurial things. He really needs to step up this year and show us exactly why he has such a big rep. He seems to produce very sporatically and it's time for hinm to show exactly what he is capable of.

Big Will, Im afraid was a carbon copy of last week. Simpy couldn't get into the game and seemed to be over analysing and worrying about making space for his team mates rather than attacking the ball. He's always caught in two minds and doesn't know whaT HE should do first, bullock for a team mate or to go for the grab. He seems to have trouble reaching above his head to pull down a clean mark.

Callan Ward did very well, He didn't do much but what he did do showed that he's a footballer with courage and a good footy brain. those two aspects I think are better to have at the begining and then to work on athletisicm, rather than the other way around.

All in all it was a good hit out, some of th umpiring really did go our way, but we clearly dominated the game from half time and could of easily won by much more in the damn lights had stayed on!!

Cheers..

TAMA.

Dry Rot
01-03-2008, 02:02 AM
Welcome to WOOF TAMA and thanks for the great report.

What did you think of Mulligan? And O'Keefe?

LostDoggy
01-03-2008, 02:07 AM
Quite pleasantly surprised by Mulligan, he is a beast of a man and I thought he'd be quite awkward with the ball. He looked quite good, whilst he didn't set the world on fire he looked like a kid who knew what to do with the footy when he had it.

Can't say that i noticed O'keefe.. Don't know if that's good or bad?:)

Dry Rot
01-03-2008, 02:12 AM
Quite pleasantly surprised by Mulligan, he is a beast of a man and I thought he'd be quite awkward with the ball. He looked quite good, whilst he didn't set the world on fire he looked like a kid who knew what to do with the footy when he had it.

Can't say that i noticed O'keefe.. Don't know if that's good or bad?:)

Thanks. Mulligan's progress over the next couple of years could be interesting.

Re Minson, I don't recall ever seeing him take an overhead mark. Dunno about that experiment, but it's early days yet.

Rocket Science
01-03-2008, 02:24 AM
Made the trip to Bendigo, lovely evening for footy until the dang flies descended en masse at dusk...Spent most of the game attempting to eye some of our newer blokes and thought I'd offer some casual observations, though worth noting my view of the game was coloured by a couple of pre-bounce bottles of red:

Not withstanding the result, the opening quarter was tantamount to a continuation of last week's shabby capitulation against the Dons. We were going into the teeth of a stiff 3-4 goal breeze, but it was no excuse for what we dished up in the first term, particularly against an outfit who are a bottom-six side in the making.

Forgive me if you've hear this tune before, but during the first 40-odd mins we turned the footy over with regular nonchalance, through a familiar combination of poor skill and poor decision making, and when possession is lost can't apply nearly enough pressure on the opposition to retrieve it. When things unfold in this fashion, you can routinely bank on a lazy turnover on our half forward line reaching the other end in prompt fashion and resulting in a scoring chance for our opponents with nary a Dog getting a hand on the pill, all the while the same blokes either begin spectating or doing the chasing of 3 or 4 teammates.

Suffice to say t'was deplorable for us early, but midway through the 2nd we managed to begin bottling the Dees up as they battled the breeze, applying marginally more team-wide pressure and turning the footy over less frequently. It was by no means a dramatic turnaround in proceedings, and the game was a relatively even tussle for perhaps a 20 minute phase in total, but the Dees basically disappeared thereafter and as we persisted, we slowly assumed greater control, grinding out a win before Rocket had seen enough and pulled the plug on the local generator. Most amusing.

It must be said if we got a raw deal from the umps last week, they appeared to be squaring up tonight. Roughly half a dozen of our goals must have come from free kicks, some of them curious to say the least, and upon reflection were looked after in general around the ground.

Andrejs Everitt - Granted based on limited outings this pre-season but looks a different player to the rangy, instinctive kid who debuted with distinction last season. Didn't get much of it at all, playing a decidedly less involved style right now and looks restless and a little lost at times. Caught loitering too often around the periphery of the contest to little effect, and rarely sighted in open space where he was so effective later last season. Hopefully not a pre-cursor of a season-long sophomore slump of sorts.

Daniel Cross - I'll never tire of watching this feller...You always know what you're gonna get with Crossy and this eve was no exception. Busy as ever, happy to get his nose dirty, and his effort level can't be faulted, and while his game has oft-discussed limitations, is still a shining example to his less committed and/or consistent mates.

Callan Ward - Skinny. Hardly sighted. Can't offer much else.

Ben Hudson - Got less game time than usual with the coaching staff seemingly having a long hard look at Street tonight, but a real scrapper in tight and also provided some defensive pressure through the midfield when the Dees had the footy, which was pleasing in a way, but likewise troubling if our ruckman is doing more chasing through the middle than his some of midfield mates. Hard not to like what he brings.

Ryan Griffen - Picking up where he left off pre-knee...Full of confidence, dash and bravado and amongst our most judicious users of the pill. You really want the footy in this feller's hands as often as possible and there's not a host of others I'm inclined to say that about based on recent form.

Shaun Higgins - Got some of the footy but doesn't do enough at the moment, either in terms of his strengths, or his weaknesses. Looks too stationary and short of a gallop too often. Higgins looked a pretty sleek 'mover' in his first year at the club, not sure what's holding him back these days, it's certainly not talent level.

Josh Hill - Quiet early but liked what I saw in bursts as he found his feet...Wily type with a few flashy cameos across the wing and half forward. Elusive, darting runner, linked well with teamates going forward on the run and not afraid to show a bit of the ball to his opponent either without being overly lairy. Long way to go but some very encouraging signs.

Jason Akermanis - Certainly amongst the Dogs busiest, some nice one-touch possessions in traffic, sure hands around the packs and creates with timely, incisive runs. Pleasingly, looks a more confident/dangerous player with the footy in his hands than last year's version...Shaping up as a prime mover this season which it could be argued is either good or bad. We need him to contribute regularly but if he's consistently amongst our best each week I suspect we've got problems.

Dylan Addison - A real trier but some untimely fumbles in the heat of battle let him down...Still struggling to find a position for him in both the immediate and long term. Really needs to improve his skill-level or add another string to his bow over the next year or so.

Andrew McDougall - Not one of McDougall's biggest admirers I must confess but when we were getting smashed early he actually looked ok on the last line of defence, and mopped up pretty tidily when the ball hit the deck. Not much he could do with the Dees using the breeze to full effect sending ball after ball straight over his head.

Will Minson - Continues to show modest signs of improvement as a key position forward, including learning that his position by nature is a focal point for umpires in marking contests and that his frame can be an asset even if he doesn't mark the pill. More than once, Minson positioned himself well enough in a marking situation to cause smaller opponents to infringe. Still rough as guts at times but looks to be reading the fall of the ball a little better and slowly becoming more accustomed to the needs of his forward line teammates and aware of his proximity to them in aerial contests. There's more method to his efforts. To be continued.

Scott Welsh - Not much of an impact for mine just drifting around in the forward 50, but fair to say I was more intent on watching the younger fellers.

James Mulligan - Really intriguing player, noticeable in spurts in the 2nd half...appealing combination of size and athleticism, well put together for a teenager and looks a viable key position prospect based on frame alone but likewise didn't look out of place coming off the wing at centre bounces. Took a lovely overhead grab and jagged a handy goal with a penetrating kick into the wind. Textbook 'likely type'.

Paul O'Shea - Spent some time on a bulkier opponent at full back and apart from a little behind the play niggle, wasn't much of a factor, primarily because we'd gained the ascendency by that stage and the ball was rarely in his area when on the ground.

LostDoggy
01-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the report Rocket Science - the papers barely mention these challenge matches. And I hope you didn't drive back after a 'few bottles of red' ;)

The Underdog
01-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks Rocket Science, TAMA (and welcome aboard) and bigwill for your reports. Good to see Guy kicked a goal too.
Not much in the papers this morning so good to get some information first hand.
I've been intrigued by Mulligan since seeing him train at the east-west day and my intrigue continues to grow. Good to see he did some nice things & hope he continues to develop because athletically he's got it all.

Dry Rot
01-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Thanks Rocket Science, TAMA (and welcome aboard) and bigwill for your reports. .

What he said. Thanks - great to get reports like this from games poorly covered in the media.

Go_Dogs
01-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Eagleton looked ok last night? Was Griffen played out of the midfield at all?

Thanks for the reports.

Twodogs
01-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Great reports guys. For those of us who couldnt make it they are a neccesity.

And welcome aboard TAMA.

Bulldog Revolution
01-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Great reports guys. For those of us who couldnt make it they are a neccesity.

And welcome aboard TAMA.

Here, here

I thought I'd add on Mulligan that physically he is an impressive kid and you just know that if he knuckles down he could end up being a very imposing figure.

All that said his game still has a long way to go, but I'd hope they could groom him in the mould of a Nathan Thompson type, big, powerful and attacks the footy in the air.

The opportunity is there for him if he wants it enough

hujsh
01-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Here, here

I thought I'd add on Mulligan that physically he is an impressive kid and you just know that if he knuckles down he could end up being a very imposing figure.

All that said his game still has a long way to go, but I'd hope they could groom him in the mould of a Nathan Thompson type, big, powerful and attacks the footy in the air.

The opportunity is there for him if he wants it enough

Our first KPP rookie gem ever?

Rocket Science
01-03-2008, 01:56 PM
no probs at all...happy to relate.

Re: Griffen in the midfield - Noticed he started the game deep in defence, almost manning up in a back pocket position at times, but had few qualms wading upfield as required, though not often beyond wing/half-forward. Not sure if he was purposely stationed further upfield in the 2nd half but was very noticeable for periods with his run and carry through the guts.

Left the driving to my significant other, who was also kind enough to take a few snaps by the Dogs bench. As might be evident she's somewhat of a Streety fan, and aren't we all in some way, shape or form.

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/2923/dsc0003ii4.th.jpg (http://img409.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc0003ii4.jpg)

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/2498/dsc0007mf1.th.jpg (http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc0007mf1.jpg)

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/9121/dsc0009im6.th.jpg (http://img409.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc0009im6.jpg)

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/6117/dsc0013me3.th.jpg (http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc0013me3.jpg)

GVGjr
01-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks RS and Tama. Great reports and photos. Much appreciated

hujsh
01-03-2008, 02:02 PM
According to the Herald sun our best were Acker, Griff, Eagle, Cross, Cooney and Hill.

The goal scorers were Murphy Acker 2, Eagleton, O'Keefe, Ward, Hahn, Minson, Johnson, Boyd, Mulligan, Griffen, Welsh.

GVGjr
01-03-2008, 02:20 PM
This from the Bendigo advertiser

Western Bulldogs win shortened AFL clash

THE Western Bulldogs won last night’s NAB Challenge match for the Tynan-Eyre Cup against Melbourne in a game that ended in farcical circumstances at Bendigo’s Queen Elizabeth Oval.

At the 13-minute mark of the final term, with the Bulldogs having kicked away to a comfortable 14.9 (93) to 9.9 (63) advantage over the Demons, the power at the QEO went off, plunging the ground into darkness.

With the lights out, the game, which was played in front of a crowd of about 7000, was called off, with 12 minutes still remaining.

The Bulldogs were surging into their forward line when the blackout occurred and halted play, sparking memories of the night the power went out at Waverley in 1996 in the clash between St Kilda and Essendon.

‘‘It was quite strange (the way the game ended), but luckily, the ball was going out of play and no one was seriously hurt,’’ Melbourne ruckman Jeff White told The Advertiser after the game.

While the Demons lost their third game from as many outings this pre-season, their night was further soured by the report of star forward Russell Robertson.

Robertson, who kicked two goals, was booked early in the final term for charging Bulldogs rookie James Mulligan.

Last night’s game was played in tricky conditions, with a strong breeze favouring the Barnard Street end.

After some inaccuracy from both sides early, the Demons used the breeze to kick the first five goals of the game and race to a 31-point lead 18 minutes into the first term.

Matthew Bate and the mercurial Aaron Davey were in everything early for the Demons.

Davey provided one of the highlights of the night at the 17-minute mark of the first term when he kicked a classy left foot goal from 45 m out on the boundary.

The Bulldogs kicked the last two goals of the final term through best-on-ground Jason Akermanis and Nathan Eagleton to cut the margin to 19 points at quarter-time, and they dominated the rest of the game from that point. After Melbourne’s Nathan Jones kicked the first goal of the second quarter three minutes in, the Bulldogs ended the term by piling on 6.1 to just 0.2 as their hard-working midfielders in Akermanis, Shaun Higgins, Eagleton and Adam Cooney took control.

The Bulldogs hit the front for the first time since early in the first term at the 22-minute mark of the second quarter through a goal to Robert Murphy after a 50-metre penalty.

The Dogs did not relinquish the lead for the rest of the match, going into half-time leading 8.4 (52) to 6.6 (42).

The closest the Demons would get in the second half was within four points after skipper David Neitz, in his first game of the year, kicked his second goal at the 14-minute mark of the third term.

In what was a fiery clash that featured several scuffles, Akermanis was awarded the Kaminski Medal.

Akermanis played a mix of half-forward and on-ball and his sublime skills in the windy conditions, coupled with his two goals, made him a standout.

Among the others to impress for the Bulldogs was 19-year-old Josh Hill, who has played just one AFL game, on a wing.

Higgins’ work out of the centre square was first-rate, captain Brad Johnson worked his way into the game in the second half, while ruckman Peter Street battled valiantly against the three-pronged Demon big man brigade of White, Paul Johnson and Mark Jamar.

For the Demons, Davey, who kicked two goals, lit the QEO up with his silky skills and blistering pace, spending more time in the midfield than up forward.

Brock McLean and Nathan Jones were tireless in the midfield, with Jones particularly prominent in the first half.

Adem Yze showed good composure in the back half, while former Bendigo Pioneer Colin Sylvia made the most of his return to the QEO.

Sylvia started across half-forward and showed the benefits of a big pre-season as he picked up possessions at both ends of the ground.

BulldogBelle
01-03-2008, 02:58 PM
I echo everyone else's sentiments - thanks RS, TAMA (and welcome), Minson27 for the reports...much appreciated. :)

G-Mo77
01-03-2008, 03:43 PM
I thought Griffen looked great last night, lots of run and carry, taking on players it was like the Griffen of old. It is something to be really excited about IMO he is a big key to this side.

I can't add much more to what has been said in here although I did end up kicking on after the game last night and have severe hang over today. :cool:

katemeehan
01-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the reports! Didn't get to hear/see anything about it so its good to come here and get first-hand reports!
Glad Griffs back to his brilliant self

The Coon Dog
01-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Anyone know whether Guy O'Keefe kicked a goal? ;)

Like others have stated, A BIG THANK YOU to RS, TAMA & M27. Where would we be without you?

So who's going next Friday to the match at Princes Park v Carlton?

hujsh
01-03-2008, 06:15 PM

Like others have stated, A BIG THANK YOU to RS, TAMA & M27. Where would we be without you?

Actually he had an opportunity to kick another one, played on, sold the dummy to the Dee on the mark, and kicked it out on the full.

Can't all go right for you.

LostDoggy
01-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Big Will, Im afraid was a carbon copy of last week. Simpy couldn't get into the game and seemed to be over analysing and worrying about making space for his team mates rather than attacking the ball. He's always caught in two minds and doesn't know whaT HE should do first, bullock for a team mate or to go for the grab. He seems to have trouble reaching above his head to pull down a clean mark.

Welcome aboard tama, its funny you should say that, cause i heard rocket say he though will played alright tonight, he wasnt sure about cam wight tho, cant say i was either.

It was....well it was entertaining to be near the bench to hear what rocket was like coaching, was an experience thats for sure.

From the looks of those pics Rocket Science it looks like your wife was right near me.

ledge
01-03-2008, 07:42 PM
I think the melb game is irrelevant except for fact we won to keep supporters hopes up, good to see he used a few kids and kids were positive.

LostDoggy
01-03-2008, 07:43 PM
The reports I read stated Higgins work rate was first rate. you don't agree Rocket Science?

Twodogs
01-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Re: Griffen in the midfield - Noticed he started the game deep in defence, almost manning up in a back pocket position at times, but had few qualms wading upfield as required, though not often beyond wing/half-forward. Not sure if he was purposely stationed further upfield in the 2nd half but was very noticeable for periods with his run and carry through the guts.

I thought Griffen looked great last night, lots of run and carry, taking on players it was like the Griffen of old. It is something to be really excited about IMO he is a big key to this side.

Interesting comments.

IMO Griffen and Gilbee are the keys to our plan A style with their run and precise use of the footy. I dont think that Griff's absence from the team last year can be overstated in the way we trailed off at the end. Good to see he's back up and running.

Also interesting that Eade had him taking an opponent in defence. Eade has mentioned the back pocket position several times as one that was he was concerned about. We have no-one who can take the other mob's small, quick forward. He wants a bloke who can shut down an opponent when they had the ball and then provide carry or an option when the ball turned over. He says that Morris plays better on medium/tall defenders and was found out by blokes who had some toe. Maybe that's the job he's got in mind for Griff?

Templeton31
01-03-2008, 10:45 PM
top reports guys. thanks.

Rocket Science
02-03-2008, 05:15 AM
The reports I read stated Higgins work rate was first rate. you don't agree Rocket Science?

Afraid I don't based on the Bendigo game, and realistically his past 12-18 months in general.

I've been a big Higgins fan since day one and admire the obvious class he exhibits, a quality in short supply at Whitten Oval I'd argue, but without wanting to unduly undersell any concerted efforts on Higgins' behalf, his possessions last night by and large weren't a so much product of elevated work ethic so much as guile...that's good and well at NAB challenge level, but at this stage he's still prone to being bested by players with inferior talent/skill but nonetheless harder working and fitter opponents at AFL home-and-away level and until he advances his game without the footy he's going to be consigned to cameos and bit-part roles...which is essentially where he's at now, and in my modest opinion a monumental waste based on what Higgins is capable of on a footy field.

At this stage, I suspect his superior play-reading ability and skill level is too often rendered ineffective because he can't always get to where he knows he needs to be, and when he gets the pill can't always execute without duress he might otherwise shake with improved fitness.

It's still early days in his career, and there's few if any doubts surrounding his capabilities, Higgins is an undisputed top-shelf talent, but if he can elevate his work ethic and 'engine' we'll go from having a stop-start opportunist forward flanker on our hands, to a game-influencing contributor akin to Akermanis near (not necessarily quite *at*) his prime...he can be that good.

wimberga
02-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Afraid I don't based on the Bendigo game, and realistically his past 12-18 months in general.

I've been a big Higgins fan since day one and admire the obvious class he exhibits, a quality in short supply at Whitten Oval I'd argue, but without wanting to unduly undersell any concerted efforts on Higgins' behalf, his possessions last night by and large weren't a so much product of elevated work ethic so much as guile...that's good and well at NAB challenge level, but at this stage he's still prone to being bested by players with inferior talent/skill but nonetheless harder working and fitter opponents at AFL home-and-away level and until he advances his game without the footy he's going to be consigned to cameos and bit-part roles...which is essentially where he's at now, and in my modest opinion a monumental waste based on what Higgins is capable of on a footy field.

MASSIVE SENTENCE!

LostDoggy
03-03-2008, 04:19 PM

Absolutely!!

I'll write up a report for you guys when I get home on Friday night. Not saying it will be any good, but I'll do my best to reach the lofty standards of some of the posters on here:D

hujsh
03-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Absolutely!!

I'll write up a report for you guys when I get home on Friday night. Not saying it will be any good, but I'll do my best to reach the lofty standards of some of the posters on here:D

Excellent Work TAMA

Templeton31
03-03-2008, 05:51 PM
did anyone go to Willi practice match over the weekend? I gather there was one being played....