PDA

View Full Version : Naughts MRP verdict. Is he in trouble?

1eyedog
19-06-2020, 11:59 PM
What do you make of it? How could Naughts possibly avoid contact? Lachie Whitfield basically threw his head against Naughts' shoulder.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-06-2020, 12:02 AM
No.

I think I'll stop watching football if he gets a week.

AndrewP6
20-06-2020, 12:05 AM
If he gets anything more than a reprimand for that, the game is cooked.

Axe Man
20-06-2020, 12:06 AM
If you are no longer allowed to run straight at the ball then I give up.

jazzadogs
20-06-2020, 12:07 AM
Tom Browne reckons 2 weeks - good grief.

He ran in a straight line at the ball, couldn't safely bend down to pick it up without being cleaned up himself, kicked it along the ground basically at the point of contact, as Whitfield just popped his head into the line of a raging bull.

Tom Browne would probably like to retrospectively suspend Zaine Cordy for kneeing Callan Ward in the jaw in 2016.

There is legitimately no argument for him to be suspended. It was incidental contact within a game of football, which unfortunately resulted in a player being concussed.

Murphy'sLore
20-06-2020, 12:08 AM
These verdicts must be based on INTENT rather than result. How many times do we have to go through this bullshit because the AFL don't understand basic logic or legal principles.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-06-2020, 12:08 AM
IF he gets rubbed out the game's rules have become ungovernable.
He ran in a straight line at and to the ball; never deviating his line.
Whitfield chose to intervene, head down and exposed.
Naughts, kept his elbow and shoulder in, tucked it, to protect himself. He is allowed to do that.
Whitfield ran into Naught's.

Axe Man
20-06-2020, 12:12 AM
2 people that have played the game at the highest level in Duck and Daisy - no case to answer.

Tom probably never even played auskick Browne - 2 weeks.

So probably a life ban.

And how about sticking up for us Cooney?

G-Mo77
20-06-2020, 12:16 AM
No, no he's not.

Hotdog60
20-06-2020, 12:34 AM
If he gets any sort of suspension out of that I hope we take it to court.

bornadog
20-06-2020, 12:35 AM
2 people that have played the game at the highest level in Duck and Daisy - no case to answer.

Tom probably never even played auskick Browne - 2 weeks.

So probably a life ban.

And how about sticking up for us Cooney?

I couldn't believe that idiot Browne saying that.

If Naughton gets a week, the club should challenge the decision in the highest possible way.
As Daisey said, you cant stop every concussion in the game, it is going to happen.

Dry Rot
20-06-2020, 01:21 AM
I couldn't believe that idiot Browne saying that.

The more I see of Browne, I'd rather have a beer with Toby Greene.

MrMahatma
20-06-2020, 01:32 AM
Will get 1 Brownlow vote for this match

The Bulldogs Bite
20-06-2020, 01:37 AM
The more I see of Browne, I'd rather have a beer with Toby Greene.

Good call. I can't stand Browne. Awkward, big noting fool with limited knowledge of the game

jeemak
20-06-2020, 02:32 AM
So the little *!*!*!*!ing weasel is Tom Browne. Who the *!*!*!*! does he appeal to, literally?

Naughton is going to get a week. Only because he tucked his arm and didn't send himself into a facial ruin which for some reason is the only thing in the world of AFL that would get him off.

Just bank it troops. Hopefully Josh Schache is fit enough to play.

Bulldog Joe
20-06-2020, 09:54 AM
With our record from MRO and tribunal you can probably expect 2 weeks.

If it had been Jeremy Cameron doing the exact same thing to Jackson Macrae "no case to answer"

Should Michael Christian be true to form we absolutely need to challenge and if that is not overturned by the tribunal I would suggest take it to court.

Michael Christian can save the AFL lots by having a good look and class it as incidental contact with no case to answer.

Grantysghost
20-06-2020, 10:02 AM

If it had been Jeremy Cameron doing the exact same thing to Jackson Macrae "no case to answer"

Should Michael Christian be true to form we absolutely need to challenge and if that is not overturned by the tribunal I would suggest take it to court.

Michael Christian can save the AFL lots by having a good look and class it as incidental contact with no case to answer.

Cameron already did it to Johannisen a few years back.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/10666/cameron-in-trouble?videoId=10666&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1373089824001

It was 2013 so a while back but here is the verdict:

Cameron also dodged sanction for a heavy collision with Western Bulldog Jason Johannisen which dislocated the defender's AC joint and forced him from the field on a stretcher.

The panel says Cameron had no alternative open to him as he contested the ball with Johannisen.

"As the players came together, Cameron had his arms down in front of him in a bid to win the ball and makes forceful contact to Johannisen's shoulder, while there is also a head clash," the panel said.

"After viewing all available footage, it was the view of the panel that Cameron did not (have) a realistic alternative way to contest the ball."

The no head clash part is different I guess in this instance.

Hotdog60
20-06-2020, 10:06 AM

I agree, they are talking in the media that Naughton's eyes looked at Whitfield. Big deal Aaron straight lined the ball and didn't deviate and if he goes for playing our game the way it's meant to be played then we need to challenge until there are no options left.
If Naught's had balked at going for the ball the coach, players and fans wouldn't have been happy.
It a contact sport and it a game about playing the ball take that away and you take away the very fabric of the game itself.
Cameron said in his presser that there was nothing in it and just two players going hard at the footy.

ratsmac
20-06-2020, 10:35 AM
If Naughts even gets a reprimand there's something wrong. You might as well make it a non contact sport somehow. I feel sorry for Whitfield...... you should've seen the look on you let face just then :p It couldn't have happened to a better bloke I say. Well maybe Toby Green or Jeremy Cameron or Phil Davis or let's just say GWS.

No case to answer and the video of the incident used as a promotional video for our game!

Remi Moses
20-06-2020, 10:40 AM
Oh FFS ! Why is this even discussed ?
Two players going at the ball
In Aaron’s favour is he v lined the ball and protected himself
You can’t legislate for every collision in a contact sport
It’s impossible! Jog on

AshMac
20-06-2020, 10:42 AM
As a non biased life long dogs fan there’s nothing in it. Straight line for ball, accidental contact in a 50:50 contest.

As the AFL - who knows. He looked at Whitfield, slightly braced his shoulders and made direct contact with the head. Whitfield didn’t return which always adds to it.

The choice ahead of him was go in hard to match the tone started by the giants or pull out of the run - as the first player to chase the ball - and let Whitfield take possession.

If Burgoyne can get off in an obvious sling tackle which almost knocked out the AFL’s (non richmond) favourite boy - then there is nothing in this but I wouldn’t be surprised either way.

GVGjr
20-06-2020, 01:52 PM
It doesn't even get to the tribunal. Ran a straight line and the onus is on Whitfield to protect himself
Had he veered off line to collect Whitfield it's a different discussion

azabob
20-06-2020, 02:33 PM
He's in trouble. 1 week.

I don't agree with it - just what will happen.

GVGjr
20-06-2020, 03:27 PM
He's in trouble. 1 week.

But how do they get to that point? Logically it doesn't make it to the tribunal

bornadog
20-06-2020, 03:35 PM
He's in trouble. 1 week.

Is that your opinion, or official?

GVGjr
20-06-2020, 03:39 PM
Is that your opinion, or official?

A prediction I believe

azabob
20-06-2020, 03:52 PM
But how do they get to that point? Logically it doesn't make it to the tribunal

Logically it shouldn't make it to the tribunal.

But head high contact and concussion is not thought through logically.

You are correct in saying it is not a reportable offence, so he should not have a case to answer.

SonofScray
20-06-2020, 03:55 PM
No way that should even be considered illegal. Incidental contact in competition for the footy.

GVGjr
20-06-2020, 04:02 PM
Logically it shouldn't make it to the tribunal.

But head high contact and concussion is not thought through logically.

You are correct in saying it is not a reportable offence, so he should not have a case to answer.

From my perspective it doesn't pass the tests. Eyes for the footy, not reckless, doesn't veer off the line and he doesn't brace himself for contact or jump into it.

There is no doubt there is head high contact but there is no other option assuming the premise is that the players can still hunt the ball at speed.

Clear as day it gets looked at because Whitfield was concussed but it doesn't even make it to the tribunal

BornInDroopSt'54
20-06-2020, 04:51 PM
Head contact so I'm concerned. AFL number one safety issue, even if Whitfield used his head to stop a rampaging bull. In my books Whitfield should be carged with disregard for life, his own. However if the beaurocrats are blindly punishing head contact, Naughton could get suspended.

EasternWest
20-06-2020, 05:05 PM
From my perspective it doesn't pass the tests. Eyes for the footy, not reckless, doesn't veer off the line and he doesn't brace himself for contact or jump into it.

There is no doubt there is head high contact but there is no other option assuming the premise is that the players can still hunt the ball at speed.

Clear as day it gets looked at because Whitfield was concussed but it doesn't even make it to the tribunal

He took his eyes off the footy, but I'd argue that's a natural reaction if someone is running straight towards you.

The question should be did he run off his line or did he just stay the course and Whitfield got in the way?

We all know the answer. But knowing the AFL, he'll get the term of his natural life.

Hotdog60
20-06-2020, 05:47 PM
Actually Naughton did veer off his line. He deviates a little away from Whitfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Lbk20Qj_k

EasternWest
20-06-2020, 06:00 PM
Actually Naughton did veer off his line. He deviates a little away from Whitfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Lbk20Qj_k

Almost like he's.... Actually chasing the ball.

The bulldog tragician
20-06-2020, 06:05 PM
It would be laughable if this attracts a suspension. What a look for the AFL. Toby Greene, serial offender, somehow lives to fight another day after scratching and eye gouging Bont but a player charges at the footy and that’s reportable? Which would you show your kids as an example of how to play our game?

Eastdog
20-06-2020, 06:08 PM
No way should that be a suspension. He was competing going for the ball Naught.

GVGjr
20-06-2020, 06:31 PM
Head contact so I'm concerned. AFL number one safety issue, even if Whitfield used his head to stop a rampaging bull. In my books Whitfield should be carged with disregard for life, his own. However if the beaurocrats are blindly punishing head contact, Naughton could get suspended.

You can't legislate to stop injuries all together in contact sports but you can to stop reckless acts. Naughton was not reckless and his intent was to get the ball. I'm as confident as I can be that there is nothing to answer

Bulldog Joe
20-06-2020, 06:39 PM
You can't legislate to stop injuries all together in contact sports but you can to stop reckless acts. Naughton was not reckless and his intent was to get the ball. I'm as confident as I can be that there is nothing to answer

I share your confidence about Naughton's action, however I have no confidence in the integrity of the AFL or the MRO

bornadog
20-06-2020, 06:51 PM
Naughton Cleared whooooooooooooo

Incident explained:
Contact between Western Bulldogs’ Aaron Naughton and GWS GIANTS’ Lachie Whitfield from the first quarter of Friday night’s match was assessed. The ball is loose. Naughton and Whitfield approach the ball from opposing directions and high contact is made by Naughton on Whitfield. It was the view of the MRO that Naughton was contesting the ball and his actions were not unreasonable in the circumstances. No further action was taken.

GVGjr
20-06-2020, 06:59 PM
I don't get many right but that was a slam dunk and straight forward

bornadog
20-06-2020, 07:00 PM
I don't get many right but that was a slam dunk and straight forward

As Bulldog supporters we get nervous because we seem to cop suspensions where others don't.

GVGjr
20-06-2020, 07:03 PM
15 charges laid from last nights game, The ones that concern us are:

Charges Laid:
Marcus Bontempelli, Western Bulldogs, has been charged with Engaging in a Melee during the third quarter of the Round Three match between the Western Bulldogs and the GWS GIANTS, played at Marvel Stadium on Friday June 19.

In summary, he can accept a $500 sanction with an early plea.

A first offence for Engaging in a Melee is a $750 sanction. An early plea enables the player to accept a $500 sanction.

Sam Lloyd, Western Bulldogs, has been charged with Engaging in a Melee during the third quarter of the Round Three match between the Western Bulldogs and the GWS GIANTS, played at Marvel Stadium on Friday June 19.

A first offence for Engaging in a Melee is a $750 sanction. An early plea enables the player to accept a $500 sanction.

Josh Bruce, Western Bulldogs, has been charged with Engaging in a Melee during the third quarter of the Round Three match between the Western Bulldogs and the GWS GIANTS, played at Marvel Stadium on Friday June 19.

In summary, he can accept a $750 sanction with an early plea.

A second offence for Engaging in a Melee is a $1250 sanction. An early plea enables the player to accept a $750 sanction.

Bailey Smith, Western Bulldogs, has been charged with Engaging in a Melee during the third quarter of the Round Three match between the Western Bulldogs and the GWS GIANTS, played at Marvel Stadium on Friday June 19.

Mitch Wallis, Western Bulldogs, has been charged with Engaging in a Melee during the third quarter of the Round Three match between the Western Bulldogs and the GWS GIANTS, played at Marvel Stadium on Friday June 19.

Bailey Williams, Western Bulldogs, has been charged with Engaging in a Melee during the third quarter of the Round Three match between the Western Bulldogs and the GWS GIANTS, played at Marvel Stadium on Friday June 19.

Aaron Naughton, Western Bulldogs, has been charged with Engaging in a Melee during the third quarter of the Round Three match between the Western Bulldogs and the GWS GIANTS, played at Marvel Stadium on Friday June 19.

Caleb Daniel, Western Bulldogs, has been charged with Engaging in a Melee during the third quarter of the Round Three match between the Western Bulldogs and the GWS GIANTS, played at Marvel Stadium on Friday June 19.

The bulldog tragician
20-06-2020, 07:04 PM
Engaging in a melee. Quaint.

bornadog
20-06-2020, 07:08 PM

We need to send the bill for fines to the plastics

bulldogsthru&thru
20-06-2020, 07:08 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Cashed strapped afl would love more melees during covid

bulldogsthru&thru
20-06-2020, 07:10 PM
Ah what a relief. Common sense has prevailed re Naughts

GVGjr
20-06-2020, 07:10 PM

We weren't the instigator so I'm not sure what else the players are supposed to do
Our players must defend the club captain or any other player from that sort of attention from the opposition

Bulldog Joe
20-06-2020, 07:35 PM
Ah what a relief. Common sense has prevailed re Naughts

Common sense never prevails.
If it is common it is not sense and if it is sense it is not common.

Although in this instance logical reasoning has been applied.

I am sure the plastics will be unhappy.

Eastdog
20-06-2020, 09:47 PM
Good news for Naught. Reason prevailed.

Axe Man
20-06-2020, 09:57 PM
Didn’t Lloyd come out of that melee with his eye split open? No need to investigate that MRO?

GVGjr
20-06-2020, 10:36 PM
As Bulldog supporters we get nervous because we seem to cop suspensions where others don't.

I sort of see it a bit differently to that because we shouldn't have that negative attitude when our players are being investigated.
I get there can be an increased likeliness of suspension when head high contact that leads to a concussion is being looked at but I don't think we cop suspensions that other clubs don't.
Yes at times there are inconsistencies but aren't victims.

bornadog
20-06-2020, 11:58 PM
I sort of see it a bit differently to that because we shouldn't have that negative attitude when our players are being investigated.
I get there can be an increased likeliness of suspension when head high contact that leads to a concussion is being looked at but I don't think we cop suspensions that other clubs don't.

For starters Will Hayes sling tackle. I can name a dozen if you want me too.

Bulldog Joe
21-06-2020, 12:01 AM

Sorry GVGjr, but we do cop suspensions that others don't.

Even Hayes from the practice match was unjust particularly compared to Burgoyne.

What about the suspensions handed out to Jack Redpath and then you see Toby Greene let off for much worse.

bornadog
21-06-2020, 12:03 AM

Even Hayes from the practice match was unjust particularly compared to Burgoyne.

What about the suspensions handed out to Jack Redpath and then you see Toby Greene let off for much worse.

How about a couple of years ago, when Hunter leaned over a guy lying on the ground then pushed into his chest and he got a week

Doc26
21-06-2020, 12:11 AM
We weren't the instigator so I'm not sure what else the players are supposed to do
Our players must defend the club captain or any other player from that sort of attention from the opposition

This part is infuriating. One team is focussed on the football, the other on player intimidation. Our Captain is targeted from the first bounce by that mob, with all levels of scragging, and we end up with more players fined through these so called melees.

I once held a lot of respect for Leon Cameron as a past great of our Club but now as Coach of this mob that respect has been eroded significantly.

GVGjr
21-06-2020, 12:31 AM

Perhaps we don't present our cases as well as others but when I look at the Naughton footage I just couldn't see how that made it to the tribunal and that is why I didn't share in the negativity towards it

The Hayes and Redpath decisions were poor but I don't think the AFL has it in for us.

Hotdog60
21-06-2020, 08:21 AM
I don't think they have it in for us either but it might be a bit more profile related.
If your profile is at a high level or the player is a type of player who puts bums on seats the verdict may sway to that players favor.
If you don't have a profile you get the full book thrown at you.

bornadog
21-06-2020, 11:41 AM
I don't think they have it in for us either but it might be a bit more profile related.
If your profile is at a high level or the player is a type of player who puts bums on seats the verdict may sway to that players favor.
If you don't have a profile you get the full book thrown at you.

and that is sooooooo wrong

The bulldog tragician
21-06-2020, 11:45 AM
There is vision on Twitter (can’t copy the link but tweeted by @bulldogs126) of Jacobs doing a from behind nasty little elbow to Bont’s head. Not cited. Just an example of the cheap shots that the Giants specialise in.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-06-2020, 11:55 AM
There is vision on Twitter (can’t copy the link but tweeted by @bulldogs126) of Jacobs doing a from behind nasty little elbow to Bont’s head. Not cited. Just an example of the cheap shots that the Giants specialise in.

Link

https://mobile.twitter.com/Bulldogs126/status/1274167360551653376

Thuggery. And apparently Bont must pay $500 to protect himself from said thuggery else the AFEL says you just have to cop it.

EDIT: there was no fine for Jacobs

bornadog
21-06-2020, 04:08 PM
Link

Thuggery. And apparently Bont must pay $500 to protect himself from said thuggery else the AFEL says you just have to cop it.

The account limits viewing of their tweets

try this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/fairy__unicorn/status/1274559762093334529

Doc26
21-06-2020, 04:52 PM
The account limits viewing of their tweets

try this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/fairy__unicorn/status/1274559762093334529

I hope our Club requests the AFL to investigate this coward hit from behind by Jacobs to Marcus’s head.

He should not have to attend his workplace to be bashed up without any recriminations other than Marcus having to pay a fine for trying to defend himself for his part in the melee.

The bulldog tragician
21-06-2020, 05:09 PM
I still fail to understand why even before the bounce it’s acceptable for Bont to be elbowed, pushed, jabbed, threatened. Back in 97 the ‘welcome to the kennel’ group of Kretiuk, Dent and Ellis were charged for doing something similar to Michael Gardiner.

No idea why this vision of Jacobs (apparently another one of Big Bad “Shush” Finlayson does something similar) isnt reportable.

bornadog
21-06-2020, 05:13 PM
I still fail to understand why even before the bounce it’s acceptable for Bont to be elbowed, pushed, jabbed, threatened. Back in 97 the ‘welcome to the kennel’ group of Kretiuk, Dent and Ellis were charged for doing something similar to Michael Gardiner.

No idea why this vision of Jacobs (apparently another one of Big Bad “Shush” Finlayson does something similar) isnt reportable.

The club should send a stern letter to Orange and warn them that if this sort of thing happens again in the next game, we will report them to the AFL, and if they don't do anything about it, we will take it off the AFL's hands and speak to the law enforcers.

AshMac
21-06-2020, 05:13 PM
I hope our Club requests the AFL to investigate this coward hit from behind by Jacobs to Marcus’s head.

He should not have to attend his workplace to be bashed up without any recriminations other than Marcus having to pay a fine for trying to defend himself for his part in the melee.

That is absolutely disgraceful. Technically a king hit.

GVGjr
21-06-2020, 05:18 PM

Times change but the act by Jacobs should have been cited

The bulldog tragician
21-06-2020, 05:22 PM
Times change but the act by Jacobs should have been cited

I’d have thought the game was more sanitised rather than less though?

GVGjr
21-06-2020, 05:27 PM
I’d have thought the game was more sanitised rather than less though?

I agree with that. What we accepted with Kretiuk, Ellis and Dent all those years ago is not something we accept from our players now

Jeanette54
21-06-2020, 06:07 PM
It just isn't right.

The Plastics made no secret of the fact that they were going to try and repeat the tactics employed by them in the Elimination Final last year. They came looking for trouble, and they found it.

Not only did they end up on the receiving end, but had their pants pulled down as well. hehehe.

However, it would have only taken a couple of frees by the umpires for the unwanted attention applied to our Captain prior to the bounce, and it would have all been over. So maybe the umpires should be cited for not putting a stop to the tactics before it boiled over into the melee.

Perhaps the MRO should also consider investigating the instructions given to the players by the coach in future. Obviously this sort of tactic is a team instruction. Why hasn't the GWS coaching staff been charged for inciting this sort of behavior.

Not sure how to set it up, but perhaps a bit of crowd funding to pay our players fines would be an idea.

bornadog
21-06-2020, 07:06 PM
It just isn't right.

However, it would have only taken a couple of frees by the umpires for the unwanted attention applied to our Captain prior to the bounce, and it would have all been over.

Same as last year in the elimination final, the umpires should have just awarded straight 50m penalties and the players will soon learn you can't do that. Straight after Libba's goal, given him another shot and make it two goals and he should have had a 50m penalty to take him to the goal line.

Come on umps, take control

jeemak
21-06-2020, 07:29 PM
I saw the Jacobs footage on the night but didn't replay it, that he hasn't been sighted is really ordinary and I think the club should lodge a formal complaint.

Also, I don't understand why a free kick isn't paid for too high or holding the man when this stuff starts.

SonofScray
21-06-2020, 10:13 PM
I agree with that. What we accepted with Kretiuk, Ellis and Dent all those years ago is not something we accept from our players now
JJ has copped it almost weekly for a full season, since the Demons tried it on, to good effect. The league accepts it.

Dry Rot
21-06-2020, 11:05 PM
Link

If that was done on a Sydney street, Jacobs would have been charged with the serious NSW charge of coward's punch.