PDA

View Full Version : Vale John Kennedy sr

Twodogs
25-06-2020, 01:13 PM
Hawthorn"s first premiership coach John Kennedy sr has passed away at the age of 91.

In addition to being a 3 time premiership coach Kennedy played 165 games and kicked 27 goals.

Axe Man
25-06-2020, 01:39 PM
Extra emotional for Josh tonight with his grandfather passing away and his 250th game.

"Do. Don't think, Mick, don’t hope. Do."

Twodogs
25-06-2020, 02:27 PM
Extra emotional for Josh tonight with his grandfather passing away and his 250th game.

"Do. Don't think, Mick, don’t hope. Do."

I told my mum that John Kennedy sr had died. She said "who's he?" I said "the football coach" Mum said "Who did he coach?" I said "Hawthorn-coached them to three flags" Mum said "Nup, don't know him" So I told her that he coached them to the 1961 flag against us but she still didn't know who I meant.

So I thought for a bit and then yelled "Don't think, DO. Do SOMETHING" and she said "Oh him. Oh that's a shame" ;)

bornadog
25-06-2020, 02:32 PM
Top coach of his era. RIP.

Twodogs
25-06-2020, 02:41 PM
When we played our home games at Optus and Paul Hudson was playing with us Peter Hudson used to come to our games to watch him. I was an AFL member back then and one day I was sitting in the stand when Peter Hudson and John Kennedy sr came and sat directly in front of me. I thought all my Christmases had come at once and things couldn't get any better until Alan Jeans walked past, stopped and yelled out "is there room for one more up there?" I learned more about footy that day than I've learned in all my other days combined.

ledge
25-06-2020, 06:20 PM
One of the fathers of football, made it what it is today.

HOSE B ROMERO
25-06-2020, 07:00 PM
Although a club like Hawthorn pride themselves as not being about individuals, Kennedy was the one that turned them into the most successful club over the last 50 years. Hawthorn had been easybeats throughout their vfa/vfl history up until the 1950's. Kennedy as a player helped change that. Rip john.

Max469
25-06-2020, 08:51 PM
Although a club like Hawthorn pride themselves as not being about individuals, Kennedy was the one that turned them into the most successful club over the last 50 years. Hawthorn had been easybeats throughout their vfa/vfl history up until the 1950's. Kennedy as a player helped change that. Rip john.

Our General Manager is a Hawthorn member and said exactly the same today. Met him years ago in a lift at Cabrini Hospital. Lovely man.

Eastdog
26-06-2020, 12:48 AM
One of the legends in the game.