PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog Scholarship Players- anyone have any news?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-03-2008, 09:52 PM
I understand we had taken on a couple of Scholarship players over the past few years..anyone have any info on what has happened or what is happening with any of them.
I'm getting a bit jealous as I think a couple of clubs are seeing some results in this area. ie Collingwood (I can't rememeb the kids name... I just remember there was a bit of a kerfuffle as Saints originally had him in their sites), and now as DR raised in another thread young Bird with Sydney.

I know that they're a long shot.. I mean heck the National Draft at 17 and a half years old is a crap shoot, so picking players at 15 or so must be even more so. Still....... would be great to hear anything positive about our Scholarship group players if anyone knows anything.

The Coon Dog
01-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Not too sure if this helps.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=806

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=611

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=103

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Not too sure if this helps.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=806

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=611

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=103

Thanks TCD.. My mistake for not searching the forums.........:o

Sockeye Salmon
28-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Chris Ogle has been named in the NSW U18 initial squad
Braedon Jones has been named in the Rising Rams squad (still too young)

Sockeye Salmon
23-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Another update.

Chris Ogle

Played seniors for UNSW/Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs in rounds 2 & 3 and was named in the bests in round 2.

Played for NSW/ACT Rams v Murray Bushrangers last week. Didn't get a mention in the bests.

Couldn't find a mention of him for round 1. He didn't seem to play seniors, reserves, U18 or Rams. I know he was in Melbourne around then to train with us but I would have expected he would have gone home on the weekend to play. Straight into the seniors round 2.

I couldn't find any mention of Braedon Jones. His club, Muswellbrook Cats, have lost their first two games but not all players were mentioned in the report.

ledge
23-04-2008, 06:29 PM
How do scholarship players work in the AFL system, do we get first choice of them if they make the draft? I havent studied the mechanics of it, what is the advantage of a club having them?

Go_Dogs
23-04-2008, 06:57 PM
I believe you can select them with your last draft selection and you get exclusive rights to do this. But you have to nominate that you will be doing so, prior to the draft. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Sockeye Salmon
23-04-2008, 09:17 PM
I believe you can select them with your last draft selection and you get exclusive rights to do this. But you have to nominate that you will be doing so, prior to the draft. Correct me if I'm wrong!

No you're right.

Jones is still too young but I think Ogle is eligible this year if he's good enough.

ledge
23-04-2008, 09:42 PM
No you're right.

Jones is still too young but I think Ogle is eligible this year if he's good enough.

So 3 years ago we should have done it with Ayce Cordy thus not having to give up a first or second draft pick.

Dancin' Douggy
23-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Bloody oath

dogman
23-04-2008, 10:20 PM
So 3 years ago we should have done it with Ayce Cordy thus not having to give up a first or second draft pick.

I thought this scholarship only applied to NSW players, it was introduced to give some of the kids from NSW a better chance to get into the system. Thus, we couldn't do this to Cordy.

ledge
23-04-2008, 10:26 PM
I thought this scholarship only applied to NSW players, it was introduced to give some of the kids from NSW a better chance to get into the system. Thus, we couldn't do this to Cordy.

I have no idea thats why i asked how it works in an earlier thread.

GVGjr
23-04-2008, 10:36 PM

Spot on.

Go_Dogs
24-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Yes sorry ledge, forgot to mention that it was only for NSW players.

Taylor Walker - who the Crows picked up from Broken Hill kicked 4 on the weekend in his first league game for the Redlegs, looks like he could develop into a strong key forward. Bird has looked ok for the Swans too - let's hope we see some success out of our selections.

ledge
24-04-2008, 12:24 PM
If thats the case ,its only NSW players why dont they include QLD as that isnt an AFL state either, seems to me to be another case of the AFL looking after Sydney again.

Mantis
25-04-2008, 11:04 AM
If thats the case ,its only NSW players why dont they include QLD as that isnt an AFL state either, seems to me to be another case of the AFL looking after Sydney again.

Over the past 2 or 3 years the number of QLD kids drafted has really increased. I think it is somewhere between 20 and 30 over the past 3 years.

The figures for NSW have not really improved which is why this scholarship program was introduced.

Sockeye Salmon
28-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Found him.

Braedon Jones

Jones is back in the Black Diamond League playing for Newcastle City.

Jones played his juniors for Singleton but Singleton doesn't have any senior sides, so last year he moved to the Musswelbrook Cats in the Tamworth League. At 15 was playing seniors and he finished 3rd in the league B & F.

This year for City he has played 3 senior games, been named in the best players once and has kicked 4 goals.

Bulldog Revolution
28-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Found him.

Braedon Jones

Jones is back in the Black Diamond League playing for Newcastle City.

Jones played his juniors for Singleton but Singleton doesn't have any senior sides, so last year he moved to the Musswelbrook Cats in the Tamworth League. At 15 was playing seniors and he finished 3rd in the league B & F.

This year for City he has played 3 senior games, been named in the best players once and has kicked 4 goals.

15 and finished 3rd in the league B & F - Sounds a good prospect

Sockeye Salmon
28-04-2008, 04:55 PM
15 and finished 3rd in the league B & F - Sounds a good prospect

Really ordinary league, though.

Bulldog Revolution
28-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Really ordinary league, though.

I have no idea what the standard would be like -
How would it compare with a Vic Country league like say the Piccola league (its one I am familiar with)

But I figure they would try to just physically intimidate him and so regardless of the league there would be 18 guys focused on smashing Braedon every week so its at least showing he has some ability.

Sockeye Salmon
28-04-2008, 05:59 PM
I have no idea what the standard would be like -
How would it compare with a Vic Country league like say the Piccola league (its one I am familiar with)

But I figure they would try to just physically intimidate him and so regardless of the league there would be 18 guys focused on smashing Braedon every week so its at least showing he has some ability.

Probably not that good.

The league he's in now - Black Diamond - would be a much higher standard and while he's getting a kick, he's not getting comp B & F votes.

Bulldog Revolution
28-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Cheers Sockeye - will be interesting if he moves next year to play for the Rams

Sockeye Salmon
28-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Cheers Sockeye - will be interesting if he moves next year to play for the Rams

He's in the Rams U16 squad this year.

Sockeye Salmon
28-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Got this pm'ed to me today.

Mate not City Insider, but I know Braedon pretty well.

Replied in person rather than posting on an open forum as I dont like talking individuals, especially kids.

Braedon has moved to a strong club and from all reports is easily holding a senior spot at present.

A recent game I saw showed a real step up from the young fella and surprised a few onlookers with his level of improvement.

He is a very good athlete who doesn't shirk the harder stuff and could well make the grade given the chance.

Next years Under 18's Rams will be defining in his career.

Sockeye Salmon
12-05-2008, 02:28 PM
I notice Braedon Jones was named BOG in City's massive win v Lake Maquarrie. Not a bad effort considering one bloke kicked 12 goals.

Chris Ogle didn't play for his club. He's with the RAMS for the National champs qualifiers but I don't know if he played (if he did he didn't kick a goal or get in the bests).

RWB08
25-05-2008, 09:38 PM
I notice Braedon Jones was named BOG in City's massive win v Lake Maquarrie. Not a bad effort considering one bloke kicked 12 goals.

Chris Ogle didn't play for his club. He's with the RAMS for the National champs qualifiers but I don't know if he played (if he did he didn't kick a goal or get in the bests).

Ogle played in 2 of the 3 in melb, he was quiet but played ok defensively. Still very new to the game, played probably the equivalent of a season of footy coz he had a couple of injuries including a 4 month one last season which put him out of basically everything.

He's been doing well in the syd league, playing for UNSW 1st grade mostly in the backs and again his defense has been good. The attacking aspect is still yet to be seen but im sure with a few more games he should get better. Very quick and fit but needs some work on the skills and hardness, but its all experience..

Hope this clears up a few things :)

Sockeye Salmon
26-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Braedon Jones kicked 2 goals and got named BOG in Newcastle's win over Warner's Bay.

Chris Ogle played seniors for UNSW/ES without getting a mention in bests/goals.

Raw Toast
27-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Ta muchly for the regular updates SS, and to RWB08 for the added detail re Ogle.

Sockeye Salmon
30-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Thought it was time for an update.

Braedon Jones has been named in the bests in each of the last three weeks for Newcastle City.

He has played 12 games for the year and been named in the bests 6 times, 3 of them as BOG.

He has also kicked 11 goals.

Chris Ogle is still playing seniors for UNSW/ES but has only made the best player list once this season.

bulldogtragic
04-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Sounds like a safe bet that Ogle wont be on the dogs list next year from these reports.

Topdog
04-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Jones played under 18's last week and got 52 possies and 4 goals.

Midfielder who can run all day, better than Craig Bird by a long way according to my bro who umpires in that league.

Youngest guy in the league, gets tagged every week in the seniors. Already dominates games in the seniors.

My brother is a Pies supporter.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-08-2008, 06:11 PM

Midfielder who can run all day, better than Craig Bird by a long way according to my bro who umpires in that league.

Youngest guy in the league, gets tagged every week in the seniors. Already dominates games in the seniors.

Fair effort.

Is Jones eligible to be drafted this year?

bulldogtragic
05-08-2008, 01:27 AM

That warms my heart, especially for a 3rd round draft pick :)

Sockeye Salmon
02-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Braedon Jones update time.

Jones' Newcastle City won the Black Diamond League premiership over Cardiff.

(Background: Cardiff are seriously cashed up and have spent bucketloads of cash stealing players from othe BDL clubs as well as bring up blokes from Victoria. Earlier this year they were short odds-on to win it. I think I read somewhere they only lost 1 game last year as well - the grand final. Chokers!).

Jones was named 4th best in the grand final.

He played 15 senior games for 11 goals and was named in the best players 7 times, including 4 of the last 6 games. He was 3 times named BOG.

He also played 4 games in the U18's including his 52 possesion game v Terrigal Avoca.

He did play U18s and then back up and played seniors on the same day once.

When he was dropped for those 4 games he had been named in the best players in the seniors the previous 3 weeks! I can only assume he needed 3 games to qualify for the U18's finals. The 4th U18 game was the semi final and they lost by a point.

KT31
02-10-2008, 10:24 PM

This will work out well for my to young pups if the Bulldogs can give them a scholarship.

Sockeye Salmon
02-10-2008, 10:30 PM
This will work out well for my to young pups if the Bulldogs can give them a scholarship.

I've already slipped the club a note about them!

gohardorgohome
03-10-2008, 10:34 AM
I would not get too carried away untill these guys play against quality competition. It would be a pretty ordinary league up there.

Hell, I got named best player for my high school team in four of six games back in the 80's......maybe I could have made a mention on Big Footy had it been around back then...:D

bulldogtragic
03-10-2008, 01:48 PM
I would not get too carried away untill these guys play against quality competition. It would be a pretty ordinary league up there.

Hell, I got named best player for my high school team in four of six games back in the 80's......maybe I could have made a mention on Big Footy had it been around back then...:D
Just made a mention...

You'd have three simultaneous threads talking you up and a mock draft with you in the the top two rounds at least.

I agree with your sentiments 100%, that said, he can only dominate the opponents he is given. He seems to absolutely kill kids his age and moderaetly dominate men which isn't too bad for a 16yo.

Sockeye Salmon
04-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Braedon Jones was selected in the RAMS initial training squad of 40 for this years champs.

Topdog
24-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Braedon Jones has moved to the AFL Sydney Premier League competition with the Balmain Dockers. AFL Sydney premier league is the top comp in Sydney and is a much better standard than his previous comp.

zuluwarrior
06-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Further to young Braedon Jones, he is in the RAMS squad, and was to play in Melbourne last weekend, however suffered a mystery back injury - potentially was a season ending injury. However, the young fella has, by all accounts, worked incredibly hard to get over it, and was given permission to play for Balmain on Saturday, in the Sydney premier league. Apparently only played half a game in total (10 on 10 off), but still was 3rd in club's best on ground, and got a vote in league B&F, even though the team was beaten by 80 or so points.

Depending on fitness tests this week, I'd presume that he'd be playing at Victoria Park this coming Sunday, against the Calder Cannons, I think???

Any news on how young Chris Ogle is going down there?

Sockeye Salmon
06-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Any news on how young Chris Ogle is going down there?

Still injured.

zuluwarrior
07-04-2009, 02:56 PM
That's a shame - is it still his shoulder giving him trouble?

Late news - Braedon Jones has been named in the RAMS team to play this coming Sunday.

The Coon Dog
07-04-2009, 03:00 PM
That's a shame - is it still his shoulder giving him trouble?

He has glandular fever, out for a month or so.

LostDog
07-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Black Diamond Football League is a joke i played a year up there with west newcastle / wallsend, i was seriously embarrased to be in this league no decent players at all after playing NTFL in Tassie.
16 aside footy, I palyed against Ben Gillies from Silverchair one game

zuluwarrior
11-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Think you'll find the BDAFL is a lot different now, mate.... of course, it's still not top quality by any means, but all they can do is keep developing and encouraging young talent. There are some quality young players being nurtured up there - Craig Bird, who's a regular starter with the Swans, Jake Roach, Josh Nesbitt, Zac Manley, Matt Bailey and our own two, Jones and Lloyd. If these kids can keep on, it will hopefully inspire the league to build and become stronger.

zuluwarrior
09-05-2009, 11:37 PM
After a great showing against the Oakleigh Chargers last weekend, Bulldogs scholarship player, Braedon Jones, put in a BOG performance for his Sydney Premier League side, the Balmain Dockers in their first win of the season. He has been in the best 6 in all 3 games he has played.

Wonder if the Dogs are planning to draft or rookie list him at the end of this year. There has been some discussion about possible interest from other AFL clubs... would seem a shame to lose such a potentially great player after putting so much work into getting him to the level he's now at....any thoughts out there?

KT31
10-05-2009, 01:35 AM
Not sure if this is the right forum, but one of my young pups plays in a side with a aboriginal lad from Canberra way, and I heard his brother at 14 has a scholarship at Collingwood.
I'm very impressed with the lad who plays with my Pup, he lacks height, but with a light frame runs and chases anybody downand has skills each side of his body.
Can anybody shed some light for me ?

Topdog
15-05-2009, 01:10 AM
Jones has been named in the AFL SYDNEY TEAM OF THE WEEK – ROUND 5 in the centre.

KT31
22-05-2009, 12:29 AM
Not sure if this is the right forum, but one of my young pups plays in a side with a aboriginal lad from Canberra way, and I heard his brother at 14 has a scholarship at Collingwood.
I'm very impressed with the lad who plays with my Pup, he lacks height, but with a light frame runs and chases anybody downand has skills each side of his body.
Can anybody shed some light for me ?

Elija Nelson andf will be a scholarship player at the Pies next year and closely followed by his younger brother Liam in a couple of years.

KT31
22-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Doggies are looking at a scholarship player in Chapman but the Saints have expressed interest in him also.

Topdog
22-05-2009, 05:29 PM
For those of you living in NSW, ACT or Queensland they are showing Jones' game tonight as the NSW match of the week. He plays for Balmain.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-05-2009, 06:16 PM
For those of you living in NSW, ACT or Queensland they are showing Jones' game tonight as the NSW match of the week. He plays for Balmain.

Thanks TD.

zuluwarrior
23-05-2009, 01:20 AM
Braedon is also playing for the RAMS in Melbourne later today, in Round 1 of the U18 nationals - they're playing Queensland. Might be good to get out there and have a look...it's on at Visy Park at midday, I believe...

LostDog
22-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Think you'll find the BDAFL is a lot different now, mate.... of course, it's still not top quality by any means, but all they can do is keep developing and encouraging young talent. There are some quality young players being nurtured up there - Craig Bird, who's a regular starter with the Swans, Jake Roach, Josh Nesbitt, Zac Manley, Matt Bailey and our own two, Jones and Lloyd. If these kids can keep on, it will hopefully inspire the league to build and become stronger.

Yeah I guess it would be a lot better now, Newcastle City were the glamour team of the comp then, I thought it hilarious that West Newcastle could win the comp then fold the next year, eventually merging with Wallsend.
Still the grounds were 3rd rate

NSW Dog
29-10-2009, 10:16 PM
BDAFL is a joke of a competition. Braedon was a standout in that comp and he had a very good year in Sydney too.