PDA

View Full Version : So, we are off to the GC hub

Vred
03-07-2020, 02:11 PM
As of a few minutes ago it looks like we're off to the GC hub for the forseeable future as the rest of the competition 'Vrexits' Victoria.

With a chunk of our pre-season spent on the GC, how do you think we'll fair?
Do you think we'll have some players chose to stay behind?
Will we get hub glory like PA or hub disaster like WCE?

Interested to see what people think of this one. Current games below:

Sunday, July 12
Carlton v Western Bulldogs, Metricon Stadium, 6.45pm AEST

Friday, July 17
Essendon v Western Bulldogs, Metricon Stadium, 7.50pm AES

bulldogsthru&thru
03-07-2020, 02:25 PM
Looking out my window in cold, rainy melbourne i would love to relocate to the gold coast right about now

Realistically we are a young side so you'd think we'd go pretty well in a hub. But i don't think anyone can predict how it'll pan out.

1eyedog
03-07-2020, 02:26 PM
I like it. 5 and 2 is entirely possible. We have played well when we have travelled North, not so much when we have travelled West.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-07-2020, 02:34 PM
Why have they got us playing Sunday Night v Carlton then Friday Night? Idiotic and easily avoidable.

Happy Days
03-07-2020, 03:08 PM
Wow those are free wins. Can anyone seriously not see Essendon totally throwing the toys out of the cot over the hubs?

Vred
03-07-2020, 03:10 PM
Wow those are free wins. Can anyone seriously not see Essendon totally throwing the toys out of the cot over the hubs?

Wouldn't be that hyped yet, depends how manny of our own players are staying behind..

comrade
03-07-2020, 03:12 PM
Saints are set up big time.

Freo without Fyfe and then the hapless Crows.

Should be flying at 5-2.

anfo27
03-07-2020, 04:48 PM
I like it. 5 and 2 is entirely possible. We have played well when we have travelled North, not so much when we have travelled West.

Not taken it one week at a time then?

Eastdog
03-07-2020, 08:17 PM
It is a compromised season but will be an interesting experience. Hopefully will embrace it and can do well.

1eyedog
04-07-2020, 12:14 AM
Not taken it one week at a time then?

I only said it was possible :D

GVGjr
04-07-2020, 10:36 AM
It will be interesting to see which players we don't take to the Hub

soupman
04-07-2020, 11:06 AM
It will be interesting to see which players we don't take to the Hub

You'd have to imagine for the new fathers it'd be a tough call to make. Wallis particularly but both Wood and Libba have young kids as well.

GVGjr
04-07-2020, 11:14 AM
You'd have to imagine for the new fathers it'd be a tough call to make. Wallis particularly but both Wood and Libba have young kids as well.

And Josh Bruce.

I wonder who else might miss though. Garcia won't go, Duryea, Trengove, Greene, Khamis, Naughton, Lloyd, Lynch and Lachie Young must be doubtful as we won't take the full list. I'm guessing here but 34 players is all we will take

Happy Days
04-07-2020, 11:44 AM
Oh damn Bruce isn’t going? That’s a real shame. Can he not go to the games after the hub too?

I heard Geelong are taking 50(!) players including some VFLsmen, presumably so they can have full team intraclubs. I’d be happy with 36 but holistically think everyone who wants to go should be taken.

comrade
04-07-2020, 11:45 AM
Oh damn Bruce isn’t going? That’s a real shame. Can he not go to the games after the hub too?

I heard Geelong are taking 50(!) players including some VFLsmen, presumably so they can have full team intraclubs. I’d be happy with 36 but holistically think everyone who wants to go should be taken.

Yep, it only takes a few injuries and then you'll run into complications of getting replacements in from Victoria. Just bring the entire playing group and rotate the players as needed.

To keep up fitness, they can just play scratchies with the other teams in the hub.

Happy Days
04-07-2020, 11:47 AM
Yep, it only takes a few injuries and then you'll run into complications of getting replacements in from Victoria. Just bring the entire playing group and rotate the players as needed.

Plus imagine being told there is no foreseeable circumstance in which you would be required for the next five games. Telling that to guys like Lynch and Trengove is essentially telling them to clean out their lockers. Would be awful for morale.

Rocco Jones
04-07-2020, 12:06 PM
Of course we have to take our full compliment. Many, many reasons:
- restricted coaches meaning training would be heavily compromised
- scratch matches
- injuries
- morale

Bulldog Joe
04-07-2020, 12:56 PM
Surely we take the full list.

Anything else is just not acceptable.

We should also be taking family where we can, to normalise life for them as much as possible.

GVGjr
04-07-2020, 12:58 PM
Surely we take the full list.

Anything else is just not acceptable.

We should also be taking family where we can, to normalise life for them as much as possible.

Didn't Port take 32 players?

azabob
04-07-2020, 01:13 PM

I might be mistaken but I thought I heard recently Port took all their players.

Beveridge mentioned in yesterdays press conference he wants to take all our players as it will be a great opportunity to bond, but obviously depends if everyone wants to go.

GVGjr
04-07-2020, 01:16 PM
I might be mistaken but I thought I heard recently Port took all their players.

Beveridge mentioned in yesterdays press conference he wants to take all our players as it will be a great opportunity to bond, but obviously depends if everyone wants to go.

I'm sure I heard Plough say they took 32, I might be wrong though

Port unlikely to take full squad to GC hub (https://www.denipt.com.au/australian-rules/2020/06/06/1221592/port-unlikely-to-take-full-squad-to-gc-hub)

Port Adelaide football manager Chris Davies says the Power are unlikely to take their full squad to the AFL's Gold Coast hub.

The two South Australian teams will resume their season with a Showdown in Adelaide next Saturday before heading to the Gold Coast, with the Power playing Fremantle, West Coast and Brisbane in Queensland.

It had been expected teams would relocate their full football operations to the hubs but Davies said the Power were "leaning towards" leaving some players back in Adelaide.

"We're probably leaning at the moment towards not taking the entire squad," Davies told ABC Grandstand radio.

"Certainly, there are pros and cons to that. Obviously splitting up the group is one of the most obvious things that we're mindful of.

"But at the same time, we've probably got a group of players who are either ... injured or a couple who would have been developing in the SANFL.

"But we might have a chance to put two and a half really good weeks of development on a different program (into those players) than maybe what the AFL team or squad would actually be (going) through.

"So that's one (pro), obviously having a squad up in Queensland who are totally focused on winning at AFL level is probably another one of the pros as well.

"We'll make final decisions on that over the next couple of days but I think probably right now I'd say that we're leaning towards not taking the whole squad."

Davies was confident the Power could keep those players left in Adelaide hungry and match fit while the rest of the squad was on the Gold Coast.

"We'll play against Adelaide most likely in a match simulation type session next week in the lead up the AFL teams (playing) at Adelaide Oval," Davies said.

"Then, look, we're confident in our high performance team to put together a program that will make sure that those guys are match fit.

"Obviously if we're only up there for two weeks then that would mean the guys have realistically only missed a couple of weeks of whatever footy they would be able to play anyway.

"I think most clubs are contemplating not playing a trial game every week anyway so you know it will be more about the way that the borders open up.

"We'll make sure that the rest of the squad are ready and raring to go if that time comes."

Sedat
04-07-2020, 01:36 PM
They did, and they are the poster boy for how to handle hub life thus far in 2020. I'm surprised other clubs haven't followed their lead and taken reduced lists.

bornadog
04-07-2020, 01:57 PM
Oh damn Bruce isn’t going?

Not confirmed at this stage.

Bulldog Joe
04-07-2020, 02:08 PM

Port's situation is (as I see it) completely different.

They were only ever going for 4 weeks, but also likely to be able to call on any player still in Adelaide immediately.

Victorian clubs need to be prepared to be out of Melbourne for the rest of the season. Additionally there is no opportunity to call on anyone left behind as there will still be a 2 week mandatory isolation for anyone that was needed to be added.

It just doesn't work without taking everyone they can.

Twodogs
04-07-2020, 02:17 PM
Port's situation is (as I see it) completely different.

They were only ever going for 4 weeks, but also likely to be able to call on any player still in Adelaide immediately.

Victorian clubs need to be prepared to be out of Melbourne for the rest of the season. Additionally there is no opportunity to call on anyone left behind as there will still be a 2 week mandatory isolation for anyone that was needed to be added.

It just doesn't work without taking everyone they can.

Yep. We have to assume that this will be the only opportunity we will have to get our players out of (or into) Victoria and therefore the plan has to be to take the whole list. Maybe even the LTI guys because if the medical team travels with the playing squad then it makes sense for them to go too.

I'd be leaning to more players, not less.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-07-2020, 02:21 PM
Bevo mentioned that maybe some fathers won't make the trip as we have seven fathers. Personally I find it amazing that they can't rely on the club and family to help out with laundry, companionship, cooking whatever for the six or whatever weeks. Women used to give birth and be back in the fields that afternoon. With video links etc I would have thought there is no need to withhold your services unless there are complicating circumstances.

MrMahatma
04-07-2020, 02:42 PM
I’ll be going to as many of the matches as possible.

Bit of a silver lining in all this mess, for us Brisbane based fans!

whythelongface
04-07-2020, 02:51 PM
Bevo mentioned that maybe some fathers won't make the trip as we have seven fathers. Personally I find it amazing that they can't rely on the club and family to help out with laundry, companionship, cooking whatever for the six or whatever weeks. Women used to give birth and be back in the fields that afternoon. With video links etc I would have thought there is no need to withhold your services unless there are complicating circumstances.

Really? I would have thought being with your family would be the first consideration in all this. if I was in their situation I would certainly know where priorities would be.

1eyedog
04-07-2020, 02:58 PM
Not going interstate cause you're a new Father is a bollocks excuse.

The Underdog
04-07-2020, 03:03 PM
Really? I would have thought being with your family would be the first consideration in all this. if I was in their situation I would certainly know where priorities would be.

But what about the crops?

comrade
04-07-2020, 03:12 PM

Everyone's circumstances are different of course but you'd imagine most footy WAGs are set up to handle it better than most.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-07-2020, 03:57 PM

Really?

As a soon to be father, I wouldn't see it as an easy clear cut decision.

EasternWest
04-07-2020, 04:41 PM

https://m.imgur.com/a/311Q0aY

Eastdog
04-07-2020, 06:00 PM
Bevo said he was fine with it if some choose to opt out from going up for certain reasons.

Twodogs
04-07-2020, 06:22 PM
Really?

Good luck mate and I agree. Just after the birth of either of my kids I wouldn't have been going anywhere. It's so much more than doing the washing and housework. I took my parenting seriously and that meant I we there for 100% of the ride, the good stuff (oh how cute, baby just said burlap) and the bad stuff (shit we have to get to hospital NOW or "it's 3am, I've just got to sleep can you do this feed?")

The club aren't going to be there for all of it.

HOSE B ROMERO
04-07-2020, 06:43 PM

Ah the good 'ol days. My nan would have given birth in the field in the morning, slaughtered a beast in the afternoon and had dinner on the table at 6.

Leave the decision to the players and their partners/families.

bornadog
04-07-2020, 07:35 PM
Really?

Congrats, children are just wonderful, especially your own

The Bulldogs Bite
04-07-2020, 07:48 PM
Good luck mate and I agree. Just after the birth of either of my kids I wouldn't have been going anywhere. It's so much more than doing the washing and housework. I took my parenting seriously and that meant I we there for 100% of the ride, the good stuff (oh how cute, baby just said burlap) and the bad stuff (shit we have to get to hospital NOW or "it's 3am, I've just got to sleep can you do this feed?")

The club aren't going to be there for all of it.

Exactly how I feel about it too. Well said TD!

Congrats, children are just wonderful, especially your own

Thanks BAD, we're pretty excited! It's already been firmly established she will be a Dog's member, nobody has a say in it ;)

Eastdog
04-07-2020, 08:22 PM
Congrats TBB.

jeemak
04-07-2020, 08:38 PM
Really?

Congratulations.

bornadog
04-07-2020, 11:38 PM
Bruce going to GC - good news

1eyedog
04-07-2020, 11:48 PM
Really?

Thats not my point. I have kids I understand but its bollocks (imo) because Bevo has already said if the family wants to go the club will accommodate.

Happy Days
04-07-2020, 11:53 PM

Whose mans is this?

EasternWest
04-07-2020, 11:59 PM
Whose mans is this?

Ah ah ah. It's not in the game day thread so it's not inadmissible.

You gotta pay the ferryman.

Sedat
05-07-2020, 01:00 AM
In sharp contrast to the rest of Australia, Melbourne right now is a miserable, stressful, cold place almost completely devoid of positivity and hope in the community - I would imagine our players and officials will jump at the opportunity to get the hell out of here and enjoy the next few weeks in each other's company, in the sunshine and with a sense of normality, especially if families can travel with them.

1eyedog
05-07-2020, 12:42 PM
Everyone's circumstances are different of course but you'd imagine most footy WAGs are set up to handle it better than most.

Fair enough I'm being selfish. I want another flag.

Twodogs
05-07-2020, 02:14 PM
Well Josh Bruce is going because family can go too. As far as he is aware all the players are going now that partners and kids and all the bald headed little babies can go too. Josh said it made better sense for his partner to be up there in the sun with all the support of the other mums and dads than down here on her own with her support network stuck in Canberra. Well not exactly that but pretty much.

I would think that even if he stayed in Melbourne with the grandparents in Canberra it would be a tough gig just for the two of them. When we had our kids our great West Footscray neighbours rallied around and made us meals and mowed lawns and stuff even though our parents were driving distance away. We've done the same. If you are cooking for a family it's easy enough to make two or three more servings and drop them off. Although I don't know how that would work right now.

That saying that it takes a village to raise a child is spot on in so many ways.

jazzadogs
05-07-2020, 02:26 PM
Let's not forget that all AFL players in Victoria have been locked down in their own houses for the past few months. The opportunity to go to Queensland, where they can actually get out and spend time together (after the initial quarantine), can't be understated for their mental health.

As for taking families, I can't believe that people are questioning it. I applaud all of the players in the comp who took a stand and said they wouldn't travel without their families. I think that is actually an easy decision.

beyondthevalleyofthedog
05-07-2020, 02:27 PM
Every chance the whole of Melbourne will be in lockdown within a couple of weeks so I'd be getting all those who want to go up there asap

GVGjr
05-07-2020, 03:42 PM
Will our players that have injuries where they might be missing for 4 weeks or more be better served by doing their rehab at the club or going to the GC hub along with their team mates?

Bulldog Joe
05-07-2020, 04:54 PM
Will our players that have injuries where they might be missing for 4 weeks or more be better served by doing their rehab at the club or going to the GC hub along with their team mates?

I get the point you are making, but I would prefer they all go as we need our medical staff in the hub.

With a team environment I think it is better to be inclusive, rather than find reasons to leave someone out.

Twodogs
05-07-2020, 07:54 PM

Definitely in the hub with access to our medical team. One in, all in.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-07-2020, 11:41 AM
For the first time in over 100yrs NSW will close its border with Victoria from midnight tuesday. Vic teams better get out today! We have become isolated whether we like it or not

Eastdog
06-07-2020, 12:09 PM
For the first time in over 100yrs NSW will close its border with Victoria from midnight tuesday. Vic teams better get out today! We have become isolated whether we like it or not

I believe we are flying up today.

bornadog
06-07-2020, 12:10 PM
All teams have flown out of Victoria.

Axe Man
06-07-2020, 12:16 PM
All teams have flown out of Victoria.

Not yet, pretty sure we are leaving around 1:00pm-1:30pm this afternoon with Richmond.

Axe Man
06-07-2020, 12:20 PM
Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge is driving optimism and a “sense of adventure” around his club’s trip to Gold Coast.

Every Bulldog will attend and Beveridge encouraged all “six or seven” players with young families to take their loved ones as the club embraces the hub set up as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

They fly north at 1pm on Monday, sharing a flight with Richmond.

“That’ll be great to have the girls along and have the toddlers and the infants and a couple more that are a little bit more grown up,” Beveridge said.

“You blink and they’ve changed. You pick them up in the morning and they look different, and you wouldn’t deny that (bringing family) of any young man.”

Premiership captain Easton Wood is taking pregnant wife Tiffany and daughter Matilda while forward Mitch Wallis is bringing wife Emily and newborn daughter Charlotte.

Spearhead Josh Bruce’s pregnant wife Pip and daughter Poppy will also be on the plane while utility Jackson Trengove’s partner Stephanie and their kids Sopgia, Isaiah and Zalia are also likely to attend.

Norm Smith Medallist Jason Johannisen and Tom Liberatore had children in the off-season with Johannisen’s partner Logan having baby girl Lola and Liberatore’s partner Malia giving birth to their son Oscar.

Bruce was relieved the AFL approved his request because the couple has no family in Victoria and potential border closures could’ve left his Canberrian wife stuck here.

The AFL is footing the bill for all travel, meals and accommodation costs in the knowledge that the mega expense will be a lot cheaper than failing to get games played.

Bruce said golf clubs and surfboards would be driven up after about 12 days so players weren’t tempted to break quarantine rules.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/victorian-clubs-set-to-depart-for-interstate-hubs-tomorrow-as-north-melbourne-faces-logistical-nightmare/news-story/85a08e9f8620fc68480e569589576901)

bornadog
06-07-2020, 12:22 PM
Not yet, pretty sure we are leaving around 1:00pm-1:30pm this afternoon with Richmond.

I read somewhere that all teams had flown out but of course looks like that is wrong.

Vred
06-07-2020, 12:32 PM
I read somewhere that all teams had flown out but of course looks like that is wrong.

From what I've read, we're flying out within the next two hours.
All players, as well as a ton of wives and kids, complete re-location of the club to QLD

comrade
06-07-2020, 12:33 PM
I think it's a good approach and all the players should be up there feeling supported by the club. No chance of performing poorly and using the hub/being away from family as an excuse.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-07-2020, 12:34 PM
Didn't realise the AFL was footing the bill for the entire family. Not a bad incentive to flee cold, wet COVID infested melbourne.

Unfortunately whilst the temperatures are warm on the gold coast, rain is expected all week from Wednesday.

Vred
06-07-2020, 12:36 PM
Didn't realise the AFL was footing the bill for the entire family. Not a bad incentive to flee cold, wet COVID infested melbourne.

Unfortunately whilst the temperatures are warm on the gold coast, rain is expected all week from Wednesday.

Better for the team if it's raining, no enticement to leave quarantine

Axe Man
06-07-2020, 12:38 PM
The only downside of all the players going up is the non selected players are not able to play scratch matches up in the hub I believe. It's going to make selection difficult and also tough for players that come in after not playing for weeks to get up to speed quickly. At least the shorter quarters will lessen the impact of a lack of match fitness.

Ozza
06-07-2020, 12:53 PM
I think some of the WAGs will welcome the opportunity NOT to fly up to the hubs. We have to remember that the WAGs and kids have had to essentially be in lockdown under the same conditions as the players for the last few months - and the players being away actually gives them the opportunity to live more normally if they are not within a lockdown suburb.

By the sounds of it, 6-7 families going with players sounds good - those that absolutely need to, like Josh Bruce who has said that his in laws are in Canberra so his wife doesn't have the family support to help with their young one, particularly while pregnant.

comrade
06-07-2020, 12:57 PM
I think some of the WAGs will welcome the opportunity NOT to fly up to the hubs. We have to remember that the WAGs and kids have had to essentially be in lockdown under the same conditions as the players for the last few months - and the players being away actually gives them the opportunity to live more normally if they are not within a lockdown suburb.

By the sounds of it, 6-7 families going with players sounds good - those that absolutely need to, like Josh Bruce who has said that his in laws are in Canberra so his wife doesn't have the family support to help with their young one, particularly while pregnant.

That's a good point. Sounds like we're spinning it as a real positive for our season. We'll know early against Carlton if the team is buying in.

GVGjr
06-07-2020, 02:45 PM
We are still a genuine chance of winning this if we embrace the unknown. Great test for our ability to inspire the playing group
A great attitude in an imperfect world can achieve what many might say is the impossible

Bulldog Revolution
06-07-2020, 03:00 PM
Exactly how I feel about it too. Well said TD!

Thanks BAD, we're pretty excited! It's already been firmly established she will be a Dog's member, nobody has a say in it ;)

Of course she will be a dogs member - and I have unsolicited advice for new fathers on these matters

If any in-law/alleged friends buy another teams jumper/paraphernalia as a joke - then view it as an act of extreme treason/hostility (an attempt to get your kid to barrack for another team is just that) and fight fire with fire.

My advice: Burn the jumper in the backyard in front of them - they wont buy another one, or attempt to do it again - problem solved and then you can get on with the deep enculturation into bulldog ways.

Ozza
06-07-2020, 03:51 PM
That's a good point. Sounds like we're spinning it as a real positive for our season. We'll know early against Carlton if the team is buying in.

I think we are such a young team at the moment, that it could really suit us to get this 5 weeks where the players are all together rather than training in smaller groups and get out of Melbourne for winter.

EasternWest
06-07-2020, 04:38 PM
Of course she will be a dogs member - and I have unsolicited advice for new fathers on these matters

If any in-law/alleged friends buy another teams jumper/paraphernalia as a joke - then view it as an act of extreme treason/hostility (an attempt to get your kid to barrack for another team is just that) and fight fire with fire.

My advice: Burn the jumper in the backyard in front of them - they wont buy another one, or attempt to do it again - problem solved and then you can get on with the deep enculturation into bulldog ways.

Testify.

Twodogs
06-07-2020, 08:04 PM

If any in-law/alleged friends buy another teams jumper/paraphernalia as a joke - then view it as an act of extreme treason/hostility (an attempt to get your kid to barrack for another team is just that) and

Testify.

Yep. "That's a great joke. Now get your phone ready to film and follow me out into the back yard." Or "you wanna see a cat's jumper go woof? We just pour some petrol on it and then throw a match. There ya go it went woof!"