PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Vs Essendon Round 7 2020

Scraggers
05-07-2020, 12:02 AM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 6 match against Carlton for our Round 7, 2020 match against Essendon at Metricon on Friday night?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
12-07-2020, 08:45 PM
Bump

Bumper Bulldogs
12-07-2020, 10:24 PM
I can’t see any change next week except for Crozier in for Richards.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-07-2020, 10:28 PM
Time to get a look at Porter and Weightman.

Out: Butler, Richards, Schache
In: Crozier, Porter, Weightman

I'd consider La Young but probably not needed with Croz back. Lew Young obviously out of favour now but Dons likely going in small again too.

GVGjr
12-07-2020, 10:30 PM
In Crozier, Suckling, Trengove
Out Butler, Richards, Schache

westbulldog
12-07-2020, 10:36 PM
Out Schache Richards Butler
In Crozier Lewis Young Weightman

Wallis is on borrowed time.

angelopetraglia
12-07-2020, 10:38 PM
Shaq will need a miracle to get a game.

Happy Days
12-07-2020, 10:39 PM
I like Schache and I love Richards but they probably both need to go. Butler isn't ready.

Those three out. Crozier, Trengove and Weightman in.

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-07-2020, 11:34 PM
In Crozier Sweet and Weightman
Out Schache Butler and Richards
It is time to play English as a key forward and a genuine ruck man in Sweet
Apart from Vandemeer our forward line was pathetic tonight. From 53 forward 50’s to Carlton’s 41 we could only manage 16 scoring shots to the Blues 23.

GVGjr
12-07-2020, 11:39 PM
In Crozier Sweet and Weightman
Out Schache Butler and Richards
It is time to play English as a key forward and a genuine ruck man in Sweet
Apart from Vandemeer our forward line was pathetic tonight. From 53 forward 50’s to Carlton’s 41 we could only manage 16 scoring shots to the Blues 23.

I was thinking about that myself NBP. A suggestion worth considering

The Bulldogs Bite
12-07-2020, 11:46 PM
I was thinking about that myself NBP. A suggestion worth considering

It's worth a try at some point.

I doubt it works (Sweet is a way off but looked OK around the ground in preseason), but we need to try something. English's ability to mark could help out Bruce when he's being double teamed in the air, it also gives Tim a break from the ruck.

bornadog
13-07-2020, 12:02 AM
Not sure who can cope with a game in the wet and then fronting up in 5 days?

In Crozier, Dickson, Porter

Out Butler, Dale, Richards

Pickenitup
13-07-2020, 03:00 PM
In Crozier Dickson (the most natural forward we have must play.
Out Butler Richards.
I’d love Trengove in to play ruck forward but that is not going to happen .

bornadog
13-07-2020, 03:03 PM
Do you think we will give English a rest this week. He has been rucking non stop the whole season so far.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-07-2020, 03:39 PM
Well i knew it was only a matter of time. Fox footy have an article going that Essendon will appeal Shiels suspension as the MRI of Taylor came back clean. So because he has no facial fractures they reckon he'll get a fine as the impact should be low and not high. What a joke of a system it is.

comrade
13-07-2020, 03:48 PM
Well i knew it was only a matter of time. Fox footy have an article going that Essendon will appeal Shiels suspension as the MRI of Taylor came back clean. So because he has no facial fractures they reckon he'll get a fine as the impact should be low and not high. What a joke of a system it is.

He still couldn't play out the game.

Grantysghost
13-07-2020, 03:52 PM
Do you think we will give English a rest this week. He has been rucking non stop the whole season so far.

Bevo made a point of saying that we brought up the whole squad and that all the boys who trained Saturday, ergo didn't play Sunday are good to go and we give everyone a shot.

So in Trengove? :p

bornadog
13-07-2020, 03:53 PM
Bevo made a point of saying that we brought up the whole squad and that all the boys who trained Saturday, ergo didn't play Sunday are good to go and we give everyone a shot.

or Sweet

or Both

bulldogsthru&thru
13-07-2020, 04:00 PM
This will be entertaining

https://www.afl.com.au/news/465309/shiel-appeal-bombers-to-challenge-two-week-ban

Remi Moses
13-07-2020, 04:04 PM
Typical essendon
Knew they would
If they let this off then it’s head high bumps at will
The Afl has made a massive rod for its back with its insane outcome based verdict

1eyedog
13-07-2020, 04:22 PM
Chose to attack the player rather than the ball. Actually went past the ball to bump the player. High contact, high impact?

Guilty as charged your Honour.

bornadog
13-07-2020, 04:26 PM
Chose to attack the player rather than the ball. Actually went past the ball to bump the player. High contact, high impact?

Guilty as charged your Honour.

Rowan got off

comrade
13-07-2020, 04:39 PM
Rowan got off

There's literally no rhyme or reason behind these now.

EasternWest
13-07-2020, 08:15 PM
or Sweet

or Both

Jong to ruck.

bornadog
13-07-2020, 08:44 PM
Jong to ruck.

Except he is injured

EasternWest
13-07-2020, 10:03 PM
Except he is injured

thatsthejoke.jpg

The Pie Man
14-07-2020, 02:35 PM
Think Schache would be an obvious exclusion - which normally means he'll play - but if he does get dropped, I can see him getting Trengove'd

Maybe we just need to look at one tall (Bruce) for now, and look at pace in our F50 (Weightman / Cavarra) as a priority.

Crozier plays (of course) but I'm not sure it'll be for Butler straight off.

Not looking forward to Friday night.

Cyberdoggie
14-07-2020, 03:44 PM
Think Schache would be an obvious exclusion - which normally means he'll play - but if he does get dropped, I can see him getting Trengove'd

Maybe we just need to look at one tall (Bruce) for now, and look at pace in our F50 (Weightman / Cavarra) as a priority.

Crozier plays (of course) but I'm not sure it'll be for Butler straight off.

Not looking forward to Friday night.

It's clear our forwards are still terrible at the long ball, we made poor decisions going forward and that was our problem.
However still you expect more from Schache in that he barely touched it and gave no physical contest whatsoever.

i would bring Lewis Young in for him, he gives us an option at both ends if needed. Weightman or Cavarra for Richards.

I like what Richards does right, and i know Bevo loves him but he just needs to get more of it. He has averaged around the 12.5 disposals a game for 3 years with little change at all. Should be doing more by now.

Crozier much needed ball user down back, has to come back in. Butler will be a good player soon but got a bit nervous at times and played safe. Needed him to take the game on more like Crozier would of and it might of made a difference. Can't fault him for just his second game though.

Mofra
14-07-2020, 03:53 PM

Do they have many tall forwards? There's McKernan and who... Hooker swings forward?

I'm more worried about their small forwards than their talls TBH. And with Naughton out and if Lewie Young isn't putting his hand up, we could gamble on swinging Cordy forward as he's covers the ground and at least he competes. Schache is either injured, or horribly out of form and will surely be an out.

I like Butler but I'm not sure he's ready.
If we're desperate for another smaller defender who can kick, why not just play Ed Richards there which is where he's played his best football anyway? It won't be an issue this week with Crozier back, and Richards was pretty poor last game anyway.

I'd bring in Trengove and swing Cordy forward, Trengove can give chop outs in the ruck and Cordy can go back during those periods. Bevo won't do that, so I'll go with:

Out: Schache, Butler, Richards
In: Crozier, Dickson, Cavarra

The Pie Man
14-07-2020, 05:07 PM
It's clear our forwards are still terrible at the long ball, we made poor decisions going forward and that was our problem.
However still you expect more from Schache in that he barely touched it and gave no physical contest whatsoever.

i would bring Lewis Young in for him, he gives us an option at both ends if needed. Weightman or Cavarra for Richards.

I like what Richards does right, and i know Bevo loves him but he just needs to get more of it. He has averaged around the 12.5 disposals a game for 3 years with little change at all. Should be doing more by now.

Crozier much needed ball user down back, has to come back in. Butler will be a good player soon but got a bit nervous at times and played safe. Needed him to take the game on more like Crozier would of and it might of made a difference. Can't fault him for just his second game though.

re: bit in bold - it's this where you fear he'll lose the coaches trust. He's too inconsistent in this area.

Really like what he does well, but....

josie
14-07-2020, 06:59 PM
I like Mofra's idea of swinging Cordy forward. He was v. good in the 2016 prelim & the first goal of the Granny still gives me goosebumps.

Danjul
15-07-2020, 12:50 AM

when you look at the selected teams from Sunday, Carlton’s 6 forwards kicked 14 goals. The Dogs equivalents kicked 3.

The problem is simply the long ball tactic we are using is rubbish. I hope we don’t see it this week.

GVGjr
15-07-2020, 09:43 AM
when you look at the selected teams from Sunday, Carlton’s 6 forwards kicked 14 goals. The Dogs equivalents kicked 3.

The problem is simply the long ball tactic we are using is rubbish. I hope we don’t see it this week.

A telling stat even though I thought our defenders battled away so well but our forward line didn't click at all.

Not sure what we should do with Schache. He needs more time but it's hard to justify given his effort on Sunday night

bornadog
15-07-2020, 09:56 AM
A telling stat even though I thought our defenders battled away so well but our forward line didn't click at all.

Not sure what we should do with Schache. He needs more time but it's hard to justify given his effort on Sunday night

Yet he played ok the previous week.

1eyedog
15-07-2020, 10:02 AM

Dropping Schache now would set him back too far imo. If fit he needs a month of footy in decent conditions and certainly more than 50% game time.

He's played some solid games for us in the past but he's floundering atm so we need to bring in the 4-6 week rule and find out what we've got.

Axe Man
15-07-2020, 10:51 AM
AFL.com's verdit:

Hayden Crozier has served his one-match ban and should slot straight back into the side. Louis Butler found plenty of the footy, but his ball use was a little below where he may have liked. Josh Schache needs to really show something with Aaron Naughton out, but he managed just two disposals against the Blues. Lewis Young could slot in up forward but Beveridge might give Schache another chance. Sam Lloyd is also a chance to return earlier than expected from his collarbone injury.

Verdict: Crozier replaces Butler - Jourdan Canil

bornadog
15-07-2020, 10:54 AM
AFL.com's verdit:

Hayden Crozier has served his one-match ban and should slot straight back into the side. Louis Butler found plenty of the footy, but his ball use was a little below where he may have liked. Josh Schache needs to really show something with Aaron Naughton out, but he managed just two disposals against the Blues. Lewis Young could slot in up forward but Beveridge might give Schache another chance. Sam Lloyd is also a chance to return earlier than expected from his collarbone injury.

Verdict: Crozier replaces Butler - Jourdan Canil

I think there will be a few changes to try and freshen players up. Bevo mentioned after the game there could be a couple that come in.

Mitcha
15-07-2020, 11:54 AM
Need to be able to score heavily once we get the ball inside forward fifty because if we don't, we will struggle to stop the likes of Saad, Fantasia and McKenna sling shotting the ball forward at speed. It will be an interesting mix, we need some height to give some aerial presence but will also need some speed to apply defensive pressure at ground level. Over to you MC, nothing surprises anymore.

Danjul
15-07-2020, 12:04 PM

Schache played 57% for 2 possessions and Bruce 85% for 6 (for the third time), Dale also had 6 possessions. The three of them combined for 6 kicks.

I think it’s time to forget about the players and examine the game plan. The TV followed the ball so I rarely saw Schache, but I saw Bruce a lot. He ran hard but had no chance because the opposition knew he was the only target and put 2 spoilers on him. Some of our other forwards also got in his way while their opponents set up to collect the spill.

we know Schache can kick goals, we know Bruce can kick goals, we know Dale can kick goals. But we have a game plan that prevents them from getting the ball.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-07-2020, 12:13 PM
Schache played 57% for 2 possessions and Bruce 85% for 6 (for the third time), Dale also had 6 possessions. The three of them combined for 6 kicks.

I think it’s time to forget about the players and examine the game plan. The TV followed the ball so I rarely saw Schache, but I saw Bruce a lot. He ran hard but had no chance because the opposition knew he was the only target and put 2 spoilers on him. Some of our other forwards also got in his way while their opponents set up to collect the spill.

we know Schache can kick goals, we know Bruce can kick goals, we know Dale can kick goals. But we have a game plan that prevents them from getting the ball.

Yeah and it’s been like this for 4 years now. We all keep banging on about the same flaws in our setup (not just up forward) and we’re seeing little to no change. Sure when things are going well who cares right? But when we lose it’s always under the same circumstances and it’s as though we’re playing a different brand. Obviously the opposition have a big say in this but we need to figure out a plan b when this occurs which we haven’t figured out for 4 years

EasternWest
15-07-2020, 12:15 PM

This is why I think Bruce gets a leave pass for last week. To me he seemed to be working really hard against insurmountable odds.

Still he fronted up and continued to try and hit packs.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-07-2020, 12:15 PM

That doesn't sound like a game plan issue to me. I doubt our coaches are instructing our forwards to get in each others way, or for players upfield to deliver the ball poorly to the guys inside 50.

Schache has consistently been inconsistent throughout his career to date. You saw Bruce more, because he works harder to stay involved. Schache needs to find a way to get involved even when he's not a viable target. He is far too meek at the moment and reactive.

jeemak
15-07-2020, 12:28 PM

When given some space these guys can get the footy, use it and score. They simply didn't have any on the weekend, and it wasn't helped by small guys like West trying to jump over the top of them!

I don't think the congestion was reflective of the game plan, or at least I hope it wasn't...…….!

bornadog
15-07-2020, 12:32 PM
That doesn't sound like a game plan issue to me. I doubt our coaches are instructing our forwards to get in each others way, or for players upfield to deliver the ball poorly to the guys inside 50.

Schache has consistently been inconsistent throughout his career to date. You saw Bruce more, because he works harder to stay involved. Schache needs to find a way to get involved even when he's not a viable target. He is far too meek at the moment and reactive.

Its the the execution of the game plan by some of the players. I think Carlton's game plan was to flood our forward line and then sling shot over the top to score. We need forward players that can also tackle and keep the ball locked in and if the ball does come out, a defensive wall must be in place to stop the ball coming into the oppositions forward line. In other words at least 3 or 4 players to not be sucked up the ground, but stay back and defend.

Bulldog Joe
15-07-2020, 12:37 PM
Selection may be compromised off the short week.

Personally it is an easy choice Crozier for Butler.

However we need more forward and I support this week as the time to give Jordan Sweet his chance.

I would drop Schache for Sweet and play English more forward as the relief ruck.

Sweet will toughen our resolve around the stoppage and cannot possibly provide less than Schache effort last week.
It also lessens the burden on English.

1eyedog
15-07-2020, 12:39 PM
This is why I think Bruce gets a leave pass for last week. To me he seemed to be working really hard against insurmountable odds.

Still he fronted up and continued to try and hit packs.

The bar is set very low for him isn't it.

DOG GOD
15-07-2020, 12:40 PM
If we go in with our slow fwd line again this week, the likes of McKenna and Saad will kill us.

GVGjr
15-07-2020, 12:45 PM
Yet he played ok the previous week.

It's a conundrum for sure. I'm a big fan but he was just so poor I'm not sure he did enough to keep his spot

GVGjr
15-07-2020, 12:46 PM
Dropping Schache now would set him back too far imo. If fit he needs a month of footy in decent conditions and certainly more than 50% game time.

He's played some solid games for us in the past but he's floundering atm so we need to bring in the 4-6 week rule and find out what we've got.

A point well made. A good sign to see how committed we are with him

1eyedog
15-07-2020, 12:48 PM
Our forward line without Naughton and Lloyd / Dickson is really impotent. Wallis is ok there sometimes but it lacks any venom and with no genuine small forward and a raft of midfield players rotating through there we really rely on our midfield to dominate stoppages, not turn the ball over and score. It's a big ask with a small margin for error. Likewise our defence. If our forwards can't score the onus is on the defence to ensure the opposition cannot score either. It's a high risk game plan and it is what it is based on the players available.

Man I'd love a Papley or a Martin. Would make a big difference. Time to give Flea a chance in the other forward pocket opposite West. What do we have to lose?

EasternWest
15-07-2020, 12:51 PM
The bar is set very low for him isn't it.

No. What a crap comment.

What would you have had him do?

He had two options in that abysmal game: continue to try and impact contests or drop his bundle.

Which would you rather?

Axe Man
15-07-2020, 12:53 PM
Selection may be compromised off the short week.

Personally it is an easy choice Crozier for Butler.

However we need more forward and I support this week as the time to give Jordan Sweet his chance.

I would drop Schache for Sweet and play English more forward as the relief ruck.

Sweet will toughen our resolve around the stoppage and cannot possibly provide less than Schache effort last week.
It also lessens the burden on English.

Man is this horse still being flogged?

How will taking English away from the ruck and away from the excellent work he does around and behind the ball help us? He was good once again last week, was much better than Pittonet around the ground and roughly broke even in the ruck. He may offer something forward but I fail to see how it would outweigh how good he is whilst playing in the ruck as essentially an extra midfielder that pushes back to help the defence.

It's strange that Bevo has copped plenty of flak on here for seemingly playing players away from their best position, yet we keep on wanting to do exactly that with English.

1eyedog
15-07-2020, 12:59 PM
No. What a crap comment.

What would you have had him do?

He had two options in that abysmal game: continue to try and impact contests or drop his bundle.

Which would you rather?

Of course he's going to jump at the ball when it's kicked on his head. It's hard to see what is unfolding on the telly but I did not see one lead from him all match and if he's not going to lead at least create space by drawing Weitering out of the contest to provide opportunities for our smalls.

I mean maybe he was told pre-game just to create a contest and that would be enough but he's an experienced player (113 games 28 yo) and we should expect more.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-07-2020, 01:03 PM
Our problems are mostly addressed with players playing smarter and applying more consistent effort.

If our forward line is flooded, we need our small forwards to be smarter and not all fly for the mark but to wait at the drop of the ball for the crumb (i know we have all been banging on about this for years but sadly nothing has changed in this regard). If not first to it, make it like you life depends on it to tackle the player who does get it first. Obviously the finishing and goalsense needs talent, but we rarely get to that stage as the ball is more often than not gathered by the opposition.

Again if our forward line is flooded, our defensive line should not push up too high. We should have a fairly safe last line of defense a bit further back and have our half backs push up a bit and apply a bit of pressure. If most of the opposition players are flooding our 50 we should have enough defensive coverage to make a wall just beyond our 50m line and keep sending the ball back in or at least trap them with our last line of defense giving them no options to progress the ball forward. All that takes is a bit of concentration and effort.

1eyedog
15-07-2020, 01:16 PM
Our problems are mostly addressed with players playing smarter and applying more consistent effort.

If our forward line is flooded, we need our small forwards to be smarter and not all fly for the mark but to wait at the drop of the ball for the crumb (i know we have all been banging on about this for years but sadly nothing has changed in this regard). If not first to it, make it like you life depends on it to tackle the player who does get it first. Obviously the finishing and goalsense needs talent, but we rarely get to that stage as the ball is more often than not gathered by the opposition.

Again if our forward line is flooded, our defensive line should not push up too high. We should have a fairly safe last line of defense a bit further back and have our half backs push up a bit and apply a bit of pressure. If most of the opposition players are flooding our 50 we should have enough defensive coverage to make a wall just beyond our 50m line and keep sending the ball back in or at least trap them with our last line of defense giving them no options to progress the ball forward. All that takes is a bit of concentration and effort.

But isn't this the key component of a high press? Lock the ball inside F50 with an extra in there meaning one defender short if the ball comes out? I hate the high defensive press there is no margin for error it's too high risk for me. If the opposition somehow wins the ball they can set up through -1 in defence with good kickers and fast ball movement.

Martin, Betts and even plodders like Gibbons feasted on it and other teams have in the past too. I want to see us take a more traditional set up and stop guarding grass especially deep in D50 as you say.

Bulldog Joe
15-07-2020, 01:34 PM

How will taking English away from the ruck and away from the excellent work he does around and behind the ball help us? He was good once again last week, was much better than Pittonet around the ground and roughly broke even in the ruck. He may offer something forward but I fail to see how it would outweigh how good he is whilst playing in the ruck as essentially an extra midfielder that pushes back to help the defence.

It's strange that Bevo has copped plenty of flak on here for seemingly playing players away from their best position, yet we keep on wanting to do exactly that with English.

Well I am not one who has been flogging that horse, but this week I see an opportunity.

We have come off a short week and we have another short week ahead with a Thursday game against Gold Coast.

We also can't run Timmy into the ground.

Essendon have a journeyman ruck and giving Sweet a run will show us where he is at. It also relieves English of the impact of rucking full time and may help him cope with 3 games in 11 days that is our schedule.

Grantysghost
15-07-2020, 01:57 PM
But isn't this the key component of a high press? Lock the ball inside F50 with an extra in there meaning one defender short if the ball comes out? I hate the high defensive press there is no margin for error it's too high risk for me. If the opposition somehow wins the ball they can set up through -1 in defence with good kickers and fast ball movement.

Martin, Betts and even plodders like Gibbons feasted on it and other teams have in the past too. I want to see us take a more traditional set up and stop guarding grass especially deep in D50 as you say.

One thing we are lacking I see with this game plan is players that can kick goals from outside 50. Suckling is probably the only one, I think thats what separates him as a defender. They dump kick it out due to forward pressure you have a few guys that can kick like him it doubles down on the strategy. Daniel Rich is another with the capability.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-07-2020, 02:25 PM

I guess its dependant on how many players they have back. We should always maintain a +1 and like you said, stay close to the man and not guard grass. I don't see the absolute importance to match them in numbers in such a small space in our forward 50. Chances are the ball spills and it's a scrap to get the ball. If you block the outlets they will have trouble bringing the ball out. We did a very good job of this in our 2016 season. We just haven't got the balance right as often since then. Lack of leadership/experience might be a reason. I'm sure Morris was key to this down back, then you've got Boyd and Picken through the middle.

bornadog
15-07-2020, 02:28 PM
Weightman to debut

Axe Man
15-07-2020, 02:28 PM
Well I am not one who has been flogging that horse, but this week I see an opportunity.

We have come off a short week and we have another short week ahead with a Thursday game against Gold Coast.

We also can't run Timmy into the ground.

Essendon have a journeyman ruck and giving Sweet a run will show us where he is at. It also relieves English of the impact of rucking full time and may help him cope with 3 games in 11 days that is our schedule.

That's why I was concerned that you had been indoctrinated as well - is there some cool-aid being distributed? ;)

I've got no idea who may need a rest or who may need to manage their loads as they say. I'll leave that up to the medicos. What I am confident on is that we will be poorer for English not playing in the ruck.

Danjul
15-07-2020, 02:30 PM

Bruce had 2 kicks in a whole game where he tried his best. He has only once had more than 3 kicks in a game with us.

Of course it is a game plan issue.

Too many handballs slow the game so 2 defenders can tag him, always bomb the ball to the same forward flank area, kick blindly over the shoulder, on it goes.

Smith is one of few who get the ball, hold the ball, get into space, look forward, and kick low. He should be the coaching team.

Axe Man
15-07-2020, 02:32 PM
Weightman to debut

Good inclusion, hopefully he can provide a spark inside 50. I will settle for the equivalent of Rankine's debut last week.

bornadog
15-07-2020, 02:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rpzEQ1Zbbo&feature=youtu.be

The Pie Man
15-07-2020, 02:52 PM
Weightman a good inclusion.

How young are we going to be this week?

bornadog
15-07-2020, 02:55 PM
Weightman a good inclusion.

How young are we going to be this week?

If Butler comes out Crozier back in, then maybe average goes up.

What we Know:

In Crozier and Weightman

Danjul
15-07-2020, 03:00 PM

How will giving English free reign in the middle half of the ground restrict him in the slightest? Having him as a dominant force will be great for the team.

He was clearly beaten in the hitouts on Sunday, our guys struggled to clear the ball effectively. His best hitouts went to Carlton breakaways. Then he was given a break by Cordy who has had 4 hitouts this year. What a farce, treating an important feature of the game as an afterthought is painful to watch.

It is indisputable that over using English in the hitouts section of the game has helped our opponents for a long time . To deny this fact is to deny reality. On Sunday his ruck work in the centre contributed to a few of Carlton’s early goals. Let him concentrate on what he does best, and he will be great. He can spend time helping in the ruck. In fact, now is when his development plan should be introducing him to the ruck.

EasternWest
15-07-2020, 03:30 PM
Of course he's going to jump at the ball when it's kicked on his head. It's hard to see what is unfolding on the telly but I did not see one lead from him all match and if he's not going to lead at least create space by drawing Weitering out of the contest to provide opportunities for our smalls.

I mean maybe he was told pre-game just to create a contest and that would be enough but he's an experienced player (113 games 28 yo) and we should expect more.

Bruce had 2 kicks in a whole game where he tried his best. He has only once had more than 3 kicks in a game with us.

Of course it is a game plan issue.

Too many handballs slow the game so 2 defenders can tag him, always bomb the ball to the same forward flank area, kick blindly over the shoulder, on it goes.

Smith is one of few who get the ball, hold the ball, get into space, look forward, and kick low. He should be the coaching team.

Man, this has been a weird and sometimes frustrating season, but can I say I think this is the most I've enjoyed conversation and back and forth on WOOF in years.

1eyedog
15-07-2020, 03:55 PM
Man, this has been a weird and sometimes frustrating season, but can I say I think this is the most I've enjoyed conversation and back and forth on WOOF in years.

I think we can all agree that WOOF is in a good place.

Axe Man
15-07-2020, 04:11 PM
How will giving English free reign in the middle half of the ground restrict him in the slightest? Having him as a dominant force will be great for the team.

He was clearly beaten in the hitouts on Sunday, our guys struggled to clear the ball effectively. His best hitouts went to Carlton breakaways. Then he was given a break by Cordy who has had 4 hitouts this year. What a farce, treating an important feature of the game as an afterthought is painful to watch.

It is indisputable that over using English in the hitouts section of the game has helped our opponents for a long time . To deny this fact is to deny reality. On Sunday his ruck work in the centre contributed to a few of Carlton’s early goals. Let him concentrate on what he does best, and he will be great. He can spend time helping in the ruck. In fact, now is when his development plan should be introducing him to the ruck.

What is the middle half of the ground? A dominant force doing what? I don't understand your first paragraph.

How was he clearly beaten? Raw numbers were closer than usual and clearance and centre clearance numbers were pretty much even. I don't think anybody expects him to win this aspect at the moment but it is far from the only thing that a ruckman needs to be good at. Cordy attended 1 ruck contest out of 77 for the game, not sure that is worth worrying about.

Yes the opposition generally gets an advantage from hit outs from ruck contests. Whether that translates in to a real advantage in generating clearances is entirely disputable. What is also disputable is whether the advantage we gain through other aspects of Tim's game outweighs the perceived hitout loss. Obviously we will agree to disagree here.

It is very difficult to know who is at fault when a ruckman's hitout is sharked unless you are privy to the stoppage setup of being employed. It can just as easily be the midfielder in the wrong place as a misdirected hit out.

What he does best is being involved around the ball, drifting back and forward to use his marking power (more back). You have been pushing for him to play forward, how can he use his strengths to full effect there?

Ozza
15-07-2020, 04:17 PM
I've been critical of Bevo's selection - but not of game plan.

Bruce, Schache and Dale having quiet games isn't to do with game plan, otherwise they wouldn't have kicked 9 between them the previous match.

The issue on the weekend, was an inexperienced side not adjusting to conditions and also not adjusting maturely to a team playing numbers behind the ball. We played on too much and used handball too much. We failed to adjust our defensive positioning to what was happening in the game and got caught out.

Its not a systemic issue, it is a team that showed some lack of experience on the night and tried to play exactly the way they had successfully done so the weekend before (and two before that) and failed to make the adjustments on the night.

I'm really confident that we will turn it around this week and beat Essendon handily.

EasternWest
15-07-2020, 04:28 PM
I think we can all agree that WOOF is in a good place.

Actually you and I are in the middle of a disagreement, so I disagree.

Remi Moses
15-07-2020, 04:29 PM
The whole play Sweet and put English forward is just doing my head in
Yeah I think Tim will get a rest in the squeezed fixture , but playing him and Sweet in the one team
I wouldn’t think so
Hit outs are the most overrated stat unless they’re to advantage , they are a useless stat .
I think In this day and age playing young player’s isn’t a deterrent as it once was

bornadog
15-07-2020, 04:31 PM
Yes the opposition generally gets an advantage from hit outs from ruck contests.

I can never find the stat - Hitout to advantage. Do you know where this is recorded?

Edit: Found it

Grantysghost
15-07-2020, 04:37 PM
I've been critical of Bevo's selection - but not of game plan.

Bruce, Schache and Dale having quiet games isn't to do with game plan, otherwise they wouldn't have kicked 9 between them the previous match.

The issue on the weekend, was an inexperienced side not adjusting to conditions and also not adjusting maturely to a team playing numbers behind the ball. We played on too much and used handball too much. We failed to adjust our defensive positioning to what was happening in the game and got caught out.

Its not a systemic issue, it is a team that showed some lack of experience on the night and tried to play exactly the way they had successfully done so the weekend before (and two before that) and failed to make the adjustments on the night.

I'm really confident that we will turn it around this week and beat Essendon handily.

Incredibly optimistic. We are 3/3, beaten probably 2 of the bottom 4 and GWS who we did apply the 110% the gameplay requires. Smashed in all other games. I find it really annoying that we are saying if Laitham had of kicked that goal it would've been different. I can't agree we were behind all game and lost by 50 points. Betts was laughing afterwards as they knew exactly how to unlock us, clearly they used the gameplan against us.. Unfortunately the game goes for four complete quarters and I have to say that was as bad as it gets despite the favourable stats.
To be fair sometimes the other team is just better and the Blues were very very good.
I'm certainly not saying throw out the gameplan. It can clearly work, however it needs some fine tuning and possibly in game calls that we don't have.
Carlton flood our forward half. It's working. Call a play that controls the ball in the back half to suck their players out.

Axe Man
15-07-2020, 04:40 PM
I can never find the stat - Hitout to advantage. Do you know where this is recorded?

You can find it in the AFL Stats page with some customisation. I can't be bothered going back and looking again but I think Pittonet had 11 and English 6.

What is a hitout to advantage though? If it's tapped directly to a player that is immediately tackled and dispossessed or there is another ball up, is that still to advantage? Bevo certainly doesn't agree with Champion Data's take on this stat.

bornadog
15-07-2020, 04:46 PM
You can find it in the AFL Stats page with some customisation. I can't be bothered going back and looking again but I think Pittonet had 11 and English 6.

What is a hitout to advantage though? If it's tapped directly to a player that is immediately tackled and dispossessed or there is another ball up, is that still to advantage? Bevo certainly doesn't agree with Champion Data's take on this stat.

Thanks I did find it.

Agree, the important thing is winning the ball at stoppages, clearances and Centre Clr.

The Adelaide Connection
15-07-2020, 04:48 PM
There is some concern about their dash off of half-back, if JJ is stinking up the joint or overwhelmed with a tag could we deploy him as a negating/pressure forward? He can kick a goal and with him and Weightman buzzing around it may rush a few players into dump exit kicks.

Ozza
15-07-2020, 05:00 PM
Incredibly optimistic. We are 3/3, beaten probably 2 of the bottom 4 and GWS who we did apply the 110% the gameplay requires. Smashed in all other games. I find it really annoying that we are saying if Laitham had of kicked that goal it would've been different. I can't agree we were behind all game and lost by 50 points. Betts was laughing afterwards as they knew exactly how to unlock us, clearly they used the gameplan against us.. Unfortunately the game goes for four complete quarters and I have to say that was as bad as it gets despite the favourable stats.
To be fair sometimes the other team is just better and the Blues were very very good.
I'm certainly not saying throw out the gameplan. It can clearly work, however it needs some fine tuning and possibly in game calls that we don't have.
Carlton flood our forward half. It's working. Call a play that controls the ball in the back half to suck their players out.

I guess I could say you're being pessimistic then!! And I'm certainly not one of the ones saying if Vanda kicks the goal that we win.

But I don't think the loss is worth getting too hysterical about. Carlton were red hot on Sunday night and we weren't able to mitigate it on a fairly poor night for us also. I don't really base my predictions of how they team will go on one week's form - so am happy to be backing us to knock off Essendon this week.

Grantysghost
15-07-2020, 05:04 PM
I guess I could say you're being pessimistic then!! And I'm certainly not one of the ones saying if Vanda kicks the goal that we win.

But I don't think the loss is worth getting too hysterical about. Carlton were red hot on Sunday night and we weren't able to mitigate it on a fairly poor night for us also. I don't really base my predictions of how they team will go on one week's form - so am happy to be backing us to knock off Essendon this week.

Ha or realistic? Enjoy your views.

Danjul
15-07-2020, 06:53 PM
What is the middle half of the ground? A dominant force doing what? I don't understand your first paragraph.

What he does best is being involved around the ball, drifting back and forward to use his marking power (more back). You have been pushing for him to play forward, how can he use his strengths to full effect there?

I have seen centre half forwards mark a kick in from full back. And I have seen centre half backs mark an opposition kick in.

They both seem to roam between the 40 metre spots but stay more at one end. Although on windy days it is not unknown for a dominant player to stay down wind.

So what I am saying is English can spend more time on what he does best, drifting as you say , and helping in the ruck, but not getting the physical punishment (?) from heavier ruckmen for so much of the game. He is very agile, a good mark and a good kick.
He is immature as a ruckman, poor at centre bounces (usually) but improving . I would rather play to his strengths while he is still developing.

bornadog
15-07-2020, 11:43 PM
In: Crozier, Weightman

Out: Butler, Schache

1eyedog
16-07-2020, 12:19 AM
Let him run around the ground who cares how many hit outs to advantage he's getting in the broaader scheme of things he's killing it.

I know we've been starved of high marking CHF over the past 40 years but we need him in the game around the ground. I guess I'm saying that for every mark he takes forward he takes one back as well he's tracking to well and is so far ahead of the curve that I'm loathe to change anything he does.

Anyway

Outs Butler, Dale
Ins: Crozier, Flea

Axe Man
16-07-2020, 12:49 PM
Four Dogs will be dumped: Bevo sharpens selection axe (https://www.afl.com.au/news/465502/four-dogs-will-be-dumped-bevo-sharpens-selection-axe)

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge will swing the axe following his side's 52-point loss to Carlton on Sunday night.

Hayden Crozier is a certain starter as he returns from a one-match suspension and speedy forward Cody Weightman will also make his debut against Essendon on Friday night.

"Already this week we've had the four changes, none forced by injury, but in a sense its reward for players who are working hard behind the scenes for their opportunity," Beveridge said on Thursday morning.

Sam Lloyd has re-joined the main group earlier than expected from a collarbone injury, but the Dogs could instead choose to play him in a scratch match against the Bombers' non-selected group instead.

Lewis Young and Matt Suckling could be right in the mix, while potential debutants Jordon Sweet and Callum Porter have frequently been listed as emergencies.

Ryan Gardner was withdrawn from the emergency list last week with a minor calf injury and might be considered if he pulls up well.

Second-gamer Louis Butler found plenty of the ball against Carlton but had some costly turnovers, while forwards Josh Schache (two disposals), Bailey Dale (six disposals) and Rhylee West (nine disposals) will be feeling the heat at the selection table.

The Bulldogs piled on 21 consecutive goals last time they faced the Bombers, but Beveridge says there's not a lot his side can take from that game

"We haven't really gone to school too much on that," Beveridge said.

"They've changed significantly since then, not just personnel wise but the way that they're playing.

"The momentum and the surge side of the game is significantly different to what we've seen in the past."

The Bulldogs Bite
16-07-2020, 01:05 PM
Hope we don't drop West. 1 average game but he's been important since coming into the side.

Axe Man
16-07-2020, 01:06 PM
My best guesses are:
Crozier for Butler
Weightman for Dale/West
Lewis Young for Schache
Suckling for Richards

Probably miles off.

azabob
16-07-2020, 01:10 PM
Hope we don't drop West. 1 average game but he's been important since coming into the side.

Agree. Even last season he seemed to get a rough go of it at selection.

I feel he is held to a higher standard by the MC than others.

Mofra
16-07-2020, 01:40 PM
There is some concern about their dash off of half-back, if JJ is stinking up the joint or overwhelmed with a tag could we deploy him as a negating/pressure forward? He can kick a goal and with him and Weightman buzzing around it may rush a few players into dump exit kicks.
I like it - primarily because you just know he'll run high to try and get involved in the play, and he's not bad on the run from outside 50. Saad leads the comp for running bounces doesn't he? JJ vs Saad would be good viewing.
Ed Richards can go back if we want another run & carry player behind the ball.

1eyedog
16-07-2020, 01:44 PM

Agreed he's ahead of Dale this year IMO. We need to keep our pressure inside F50 at a high level especially against their damaging half backs.

Rocket Science
16-07-2020, 01:45 PM
Something tells me Dale survives. Ample room for improvement, as with many, but the efforts to remain involved are generally better this season and he's adept at playing a link-man role upfield as need be.

Impossible to see Schache retained but you'd forgive the MC for granting him another trot in more suited conditions.

Seems unlikely but do hope we stick with West. Strikes me as a quick study and unlikely to back up a shocker with another one.

I'll be decidedly meh if we tap Suckers on the shoulder but you may as well lock it in.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-07-2020, 02:12 PM
Four Dogs will be dumped: Bevo sharpens selection axe (https://www.afl.com.au/news/465502/four-dogs-will-be-dumped-bevo-sharpens-selection-axe)

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge will swing the axe following his side's 52-point loss to Carlton on Sunday night.

Hayden Crozier is a certain starter as he returns from a one-match suspension and speedy forward Cody Weightman will also make his debut against Essendon on Friday night.

"Already this week we've had the four changes, none forced by injury, but in a sense its reward for players who are working hard behind the scenes for their opportunity," Beveridge said on Thursday morning.

Sam Lloyd has re-joined the main group earlier than expected from a collarbone injury, but the Dogs could instead choose to play him in a scratch match against the Bombers' non-selected group instead.

Lewis Young and Matt Suckling could be right in the mix, while potential debutants Jordon Sweet and Callum Porter have frequently been listed as emergencies.

Ryan Gardner was withdrawn from the emergency list last week with a minor calf injury and might be considered if he pulls up well.

Second-gamer Louis Butler found plenty of the ball against Carlton but had some costly turnovers, while forwards Josh Schache (two disposals), Bailey Dale (six disposals) and Rhylee West (nine disposals) will be feeling the heat at the selection table.

The Bulldogs piled on 21 consecutive goals last time they faced the Bombers, but Beveridge says there's not a lot his side can take from that game

"We haven't really gone to school too much on that," Beveridge said.

"They've changed significantly since then, not just personnel wise but the way that they're playing.

"The momentum and the surge side of the game is significantly different to what we've seen in the past."

Wow 4 changes. That's more than after the saints game yeah? It's always hard to tell with Bevo but sounds like he was royally p***ed off with our effort last week.

comrade
16-07-2020, 02:16 PM
Based on that, Gardner will play.

mjp
16-07-2020, 02:32 PM
Based on that, Gardner will play.

I am not exactly sure where though...

If our back 7 is Williams, Crozier, JJ, Daniel, Wood, Keath and Cordy (assuming Butler out), then it means either Keath or Cordy out...which means Cordy out.

I have read with interest the comments about Schache and his development - I am 100% against yo-yo selections, but surely after a couple of seasons Josh is aware that performances like the one last week can't be part of his resume any more. If we 'hold' selection on the basis that leaving him on out because it will set him back developmentally/cause him to lose confidence, well, we have issues.

Butler has been in/out/in/and now the proposal is that he should be OUT...no-one seems concerned that he doesn't know if he is Arthur or Martha. Lachie Young's brother is playing really good footy in his first season for Freo - no one seems concerned that he will be feeling a little unloved given he played a couple last year and has been overlooked in favour of Butler (twice). But we are concerned about a more mature, experienced player 5-seasons and 2-clubs into his career? As for Le Young...for heavens sake...if anyone was in need of a confidence boost...first we recruit Keath to effectively replace him, then we move him forward (and he kicks 4 goals)...then he is, well...I don't know? Somehow, behind Gardner, behind Schache, behind Keath, behind Bruce, behind Gowers...

I'm not sure where I am going with this but we should 100% not be getting too stressed about whether Schache plays or not as surely to goodness he knows by now that he needs to play with genuine effort to be an effective player.

Mofra
16-07-2020, 03:08 PM
Wow 4 changes. That's more than after the saints game yeah? It's always hard to tell with Bevo but sounds like he was royally p***ed off with our effort last week.
5 day turnaround may play a part in that too.

There is a concern if we swap 3 out of our 6 starting forwards... where's the synergy? It's not like the kids are working on their positioning and leading patterns at VFL level.

bornadog
16-07-2020, 03:18 PM
I'm not sure where I am going with this but we should 100% not be getting too stressed about whether Schache plays or not as surely to goodness he knows by now that he needs to play with genuine effort to be an effective player.

Do we look at it a different way. Schache played the first quarter last week, and we were not converting chances. Perhaps Bevo said to Schache, we are going to change our structure, go smaller and you will sit on the bench. I know Schache came on in the last, but that was when the game was beyond us. I guess, what I am saying is he may not get dropped because he was sacrificed for the change in game plan?

Just a theory.

comrade
16-07-2020, 03:52 PM
I am not exactly sure where though...

Probably forward.

soupman
16-07-2020, 03:56 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Lipinski is dropped. He was by no means our worst and I really rate him but for whatever reason the MC seems down on him and I feel like he has to play for his spot more than others.

Could we also see someone like Libba who has been more susceptible to injuries be given a rest this week, maybe for Porter?

mjp
16-07-2020, 05:49 PM
Could we also see someone like Libba who has been more susceptible to injuries be given a rest this week, maybe for Porter?

For Porter?

If Libba needs a rest, well...to me, now is NOT the time. And if he does, surely it is to allow Wallis to move mode, Weightman goes forward. I know no one believes it, but Essendon are winning every week and we need to have our best available team on the park.

Axe Man
16-07-2020, 06:04 PM
For Porter?

If Libba needs a rest, well...to me, now is NOT the time. And if he does, surely it is to allow Wallis to move mode, Weightman goes forward. I know no one believes it, but Essendon are winning every week and we need to have our best available team on the park.

Agreed. Plus we usually announce our debutants early and make a big deal out of it, can't see another new player in at this stage.

bornadog
16-07-2020, 06:14 PM
Agreed. Plus we usually announce our debutants early and make a big deal out of it, can't see another new player in at this stage.

Yes I agree.

Hotdog60
16-07-2020, 07:24 PM
Essendon v Western Bulldogs, Metricon Stadium, 7.50pm AEST

ESSENDON
In: M.Redman, N.Cahill
Out: D.Shiel (suspension), M.Gleeson (managed)
New: Ned Cahill

WESTERN BULLDOGS
In: H.Crozier, C.Weightman, M.Suckling, La.Young
Out: J.Schache (omitted), R.West (omitted), T.McLean (omitted), L.Butler (omitted)
New: Cody Weightman

hujsh
16-07-2020, 07:25 PM
3 (mostly) forwards and a defender out for 3 defenders and a forward. I guess Sucking and Young might be playing some midfield time?

The bulldog tragician
16-07-2020, 07:30 PM
3 (mostly) forwards and a defender out for 3 defenders and a forward. I guess Sucking and Young might be playing some midfield time?

Well. I didn’t see MCLean getting the axe. Thought he had two good games and though not great last week who was?

Eastdog
16-07-2020, 07:35 PM
Crozier, Suckling and La Young will bolster our defence. Will be interested to see how Cody Weightman goes in the forward line. Can he offer some spark up there with Josh Bruce.

Not that surprising with the omissions to be honest although Rhylee West and Toby Mclean have been pretty decent before last Sunday. Schache not too good last Sunday but good a week before and Butler is still just starting out.

Need big games from our midfield group in Bont, Libba, Macrae, Hunter and Bailey Smith.

Happy Days
16-07-2020, 07:35 PM
Didn’t McLean play on and kill Docherty last week?

Whatever. Just happy with no Gardner.

Rocket Science
16-07-2020, 07:36 PM
There were worse performers versus the Blues but McLean out's hardly shocking.

There's clearly a multi-talented footballer in there but he's been lost for a while now and caught myself wondering during last week's game if he might verging on 'trade-bait' territory.

It's frustrating we haven't been able to utilise him effectively enough.

Remi Moses
16-07-2020, 07:39 PM
Young west is stiff
Same for Toby
Schache’s effort last week was all to familiar , sadly

HOSE B ROMERO
16-07-2020, 07:41 PM
Not surprised to see Zane named on the forward line. He will bring an aggressive edge and be able to hit packs hard.
Of the 4 omissions, Butler was the only one to make it on the emergency list.
Certainly missed Crozier last week.

Mantis
16-07-2020, 07:45 PM
Bevo never ceases to amaze.

Lets just fill the team with defenders and a make shift forward-line.

Can't believe that McLean goes out before Wallis or Dale.

#inbevowetrust

CarnTheScray
16-07-2020, 07:50 PM
Bevo never ceases to amaze.

Lets just fill the team with defenders and a make shift forward-line.

Can't believe that McLean goes out before Wallis or Dale.

#inbevowetrust
Well what forwards did we lose? Schache? Doesn't look any good right now and last game cemented that.

McLean kicks goals once in a blue moon. West is a midfielder played out of position and cannot kick goals when in the forward, only when running in and Butler is a defender.

Wallis has been a regular goal kicker this year and Dale is a softie but does the same (although i wish he was bloody dropped for Dicko or Lloyd).

CarnTheScray
16-07-2020, 07:52 PM
Lachie Young will play in Cordys position while he is forward. Though they'll move Cordy back if Young can't handle it but I have faith in him.

Bumper Bulldogs
16-07-2020, 08:02 PM
Well. I didn’t see MCLean getting the axe. Thought he had two good games and though not great last week who was?

Yes agree. I feel the same for West.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-07-2020, 08:10 PM
Gees that's an odd looking team.
Loaded for defenders, a makeshift CHF in Cordy ( with no recognisable fallback should he play poorly)
And very young and inexperienced with Vandermeer, Weightman, Young with less than 11 games experience between them.
I suppose I should be used to weird team selections by now.
If we pull this off the Match Committee are geniuses.
I suspect the Bombers to come out very hard given the absolute pantsing we gave them last year.
Hope we're up for it.

Grantysghost
16-07-2020, 08:14 PM
McLean is clearly in the bad books with Bevo unless it's managed. Thought he was OK recently. Playing favourites is a worry.

Mantis
16-07-2020, 09:12 PM
Well what forwards did we lose? Schache? Doesn't look any good right now and last game cemented that.

McLean kicks goals once in a blue moon. West is a midfielder played out of position and cannot kick goals when in the forward, only when running in and Butler is a defender.

Wallis has been a regular goal kicker this year and Dale is a softie but does the same (although i wish he was bloody dropped for Dicko or Lloyd).

All of Schache, West and McLean have been playing in the forwardline... and whilst that might not be where the latter 2 are best suited, its where they've been playing.

bornadog
16-07-2020, 09:30 PM
McLean is clearly in the bad books with Bevo unless it's managed. Thought he was OK recently. Playing favourites is a worry.

Mclean was shocking last week. Didn't touch the ball in the 1st quarter and had 4 in the second, and finished with 13. He really is not playing well at all. Similarly West had 9 touches.

Remi Moses
16-07-2020, 09:39 PM
Not sure why we’d play cordy forward unless they just want pressure in the forward half
I thought he’d played well until last week ! Would have thought they go one big forward and smalls and mediums considering it’s a night game in Queensland.

soupman
16-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Not sure why we’d play cordy forward unless they just want pressure in the forward half
I thought he’d played well until last week ! Would have thought they go one big forward and smalls and mediums considering it’s a night game in Queensland.

I imagine it's because Essendon have only one tall forward, and it's Shaun Mckernan.

We have named a short forwardline ourselves, so they may swing Hurley or Hooker forward considering Ridley and Redman can both play tallish, but I guess we are backing Wood, Crozier and Young in to cover Cordy's absence, or alternatively just swing Cordy back if needed.

Grantysghost
16-07-2020, 10:16 PM
Mclean was shocking last week. Didn't touch the ball in the 1st quarter and had 4 in the second, and finished with 13. He really is not playing well at all. Similarly West had 9 touches.

That could describe a few last week BAD?

Had 13 and 4 tackles.

Wallis 7 and 4.
Dale 6 and 3.

Just think not the worst.

jazzadogs
16-07-2020, 10:18 PM

He did do a very effective job on Docherty as a defensive forward (from what we could see on the telecast - Docherty had 15 touches but the majority came in final quarter junk time). The Bombers set up players of Saad and McKenna are possibly too quick for him. I would have thought he could do a defensive job on Merrett, but that hasn't really been a focus of ours.

I am surprised that he and West are on the outer. I wouldn't be surprised to see Toby request a trade at the end of the season, and I hope that Westy is just being managed as a young player.

Mantis
16-07-2020, 10:27 PM
He did do a very effective job on Docherty as a defensive forward (from what we could see on the telecast - Docherty had 15 touches but the majority came in final quarter junk time). The Bombers set up players of Saad and McKenna are possibly too quick for him. I would have thought he could do a defensive job on Merrett, but that hasn't really been a focus of ours.

I am surprised that he and West are on the outer. I wouldn't be surprised to see Toby request a trade at the end of the season, and I hope that Westy is just being managed as a young player.

I actually think that Hunter was on Docherty in the early parts of the game, but I get the sentiment.

How the likes of Richards (especially), Dale & Wallis seem to be free from scrutiny in the eyes of the MC is beyond me, but as we know Bevo certainly has his favourites.

soupman
16-07-2020, 10:32 PM
Does anyone know why Dickson is out of favour? On the face of it he is a better forward than Wallis, Dale, West, Schache, Weightman, Mclean, Vandermeer, Gowers and Cavarra, basically all of our forwards, yet despite being fit most (possibly all?) rounds hasn't been picked ahead of any of these guys.

If we don't think he is better than them, why is he on the list? And if it's because of some other reason, why are we not being told?

Ozza
17-07-2020, 10:04 AM
If Cordy plays forward, then I can somewhat understand Schache being out - but if not - are we really going to base selection on one week's form? The week prior, Bruce and Schache worked well together - against Carlton the forwardline was extremely congested and we know that just isn't Schache's 'go' - and yes he was a complete non-factor.

But we give the forward line no chance whatsoever and becoming cohesive when we just throw it around selection-wise every single week. Last season our overall performance turned around and forwardline functioned better when we actually played forwards there.
Mclean and West were both good v North, and West was good v Sydney also. Is this what we do? 2 good games, then 1 down week and you're out.

The selection committee has a lot to answer for AGAIN this year. I hope we can pull it off tonight, but my confidence in us winning this week has taken a hit with selection. Had we have gone with Crozier for Butler only - I think we'd look a far better side. If some of the omissions related to the 5 day break - it is more understandable.

Axe Man
17-07-2020, 10:26 AM
But we give the forward line no chance whatsoever and becoming cohesive when we just throw it around selection-wise every single week.

I'm not sure that has happened. Bruce, Wallis and Dale have played every game there. Naughton and Lloyd would have if not injured. We have really only changed a small number of players in and out of the forward mix by choice which I would think is more than reasonable given how the forward line has functioned this season.

1eyedog
17-07-2020, 11:10 AM
Our midfield really has to hit the scoreboard we have one genuine forward in the team. As soon as I saw Schache out and La Young in I knew Cordy was likely to take Schache's place. I'm worried about that switch because Cordy has been very solid down back.

I'm really, really worried about our ability to score tonight.

Mantis
17-07-2020, 11:13 AM
If Cordy plays forward, then I can somewhat understand Schache being out - but if not - are we really going to base selection on one week's form? The week prior, Bruce and Schache worked well together - against Carlton the forwardline was extremely congested and we know that just isn't Schache's 'go' - and yes he was a complete non-factor.

But we give the forward line no chance whatsoever and becoming cohesive when we just throw it around selection-wise every single week. Last season our overall performance turned around and forwardline functioned better when we actually played forwards there.
Mclean and West were both good v North, and West was good v Sydney also. Is this what we do? 2 good games, then 1 down week and you're out.

The selection committee has a lot to answer for AGAIN this year. I hope we can pull it off tonight, but my confidence in us winning this week has taken a hit with selection. Had we have gone with Crozier for Butler only - I think we'd look a far better side. If some of the omissions related to the 5 day break - it is more understandable.

Bar last week where Cordy was once again asked to play outside his height/weight division (which he struggles with) and we defended high Zaine had been pretty good since he returned to the team. To think that we will throw that out the window and send him forward is simply crazy.

But that's how Bevo rolls!

And I can't see how your second point is factual given that some team members have struggled all year, but still have their place in the team.

whythelongface
17-07-2020, 11:37 AM
Does anyone know why Dickson is out of favour? On the face of it he is a better forward than Wallis, Dale, West, Schache, Weightman, Mclean, Vandermeer, Gowers and Cavarra, basically all of our forwards, yet despite being fit most (possibly all?) rounds hasn't been picked ahead of any of these guys.

If we don't think he is better than them, why is he on the list? And if it's because of some other reason, why are we not being told?

Good question. Seems like we are looking to the future by selecting the younger guys. Maybe Dickson will be managed and used when required. If this had of been a normal season then probably he and Trengove would be playing but it seems like Bevo and the MC are using this season to experiment with some of the younger guys. To me it seems like a potential missed opportunity as this years flag is up for grabs and we should be playing our best 22 week in, week out which for mine would include both Dickson and Trengove.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-07-2020, 11:44 AM
Our midfield really has to hit the scoreboard we have one genuine forward in the team. As soon as I saw Schache out and La Young in I knew Cordy was likely to take Schache's place. I'm worried about that switch because Cordy has been very solid down back.

I'm really, really worried about our ability to score tonight.

We have scored and scored well against Essendon in our past few matches. Will be interesting.

Ozza
17-07-2020, 12:10 PM
With all the half backs being added this week - is there a chance we play JJ forward to try and quell Saad's influence and try and make him accountable? For sheer speed, JJ is the only one I can think of for us that keeps up with Saad.

Mofra
17-07-2020, 12:18 PM
Gees that's an odd looking team.
Loaded for defenders, a makeshift CHF in Cordy ( with no recognisable fallback should he play poorly)
And very young and inexperienced with Vandermeer, Weightman, Young with less than 11 games experience between them.
I suppose I should be used to weird team selections by now.
If we pull this off the Match Committee are geniuses.
I suspect the Bombers to come out very hard given the absolute pantsing we gave them last year.
Hope we're up for it.
Vanders and Weightman could play defensive forward roles is need be.

I don't have a problem with Weightman playing. Small forward is the position where kids can get up to speed very quickly. If we had a first and fourth gamer in KPD posts then it would be panic stations.

Axe Man
17-07-2020, 12:21 PM
With all the half backs being added this week - is there a chance we play JJ forward to try and quell Saad's influence and try and make him accountable? For sheer speed, JJ is the only one I can think of for us that keeps up with Saad.

Fantasia is also playing back now, along with Saad and McKenna as quick rebounders. They had 21 (Saad), 19 (Fantasia) and 18 (McKenna) last week. They can all be damaging.

It's a fair suggestion but I worry that JJ is our only rebounder with real pace (unless Richards was to go back there) and would be loath to lose that off half back.

ratsmac
17-07-2020, 06:33 PM
McLean was terrible last week and was kicking around corners basically giving the ball back to Carlton. I can see why he is omitted. A player of his experience should know better.

West was getting in Bruce's way in the forward line, even contested marks against him. This would've drove Bevo mad. You would think he was told to stay down and get the crumb and didn't so was omitted as a result. Dunno, just trying to figure out his omission. I would've stuck with him myself.

Puzzling inclusions but we should still beat them. Not confident one bit though