PDA

View Full Version : I love Beating Carlton

bornadog
10-07-2020, 06:02 PM
I really hate Carlton, they have over the years flouted the rules, paid people under the table, organised jobs for wives with big money and generally, like Essendon, did anything to have an advantage. I can still hear that Moron Elliot saying we have a tragic history. I am so glad they haven't won a premiership for over 25 years and have been wooden spooners 5 times since then

What are some of your memorable games against this mob?

One of the best games, not in quality was this match:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EciwbMnU0AMA1rF?format=jpg&name=small

Back in 1991. Unfortunately in the dying seconds Arceri got a free kick and kicked a goal.

josie
10-07-2020, 06:07 PM
Great photo BAD - must have been a helluva comeback from the Blues to come back after kicking 10 points and over coming a close to 50 point deficit in what looks like horrid conditions. Did the Dogs take their foot of the pedal or did we have injuries?

Axe Man
10-07-2020, 06:11 PM
Great photo BAD - must have been a helluva comeback from the Blues to come back after kicking 10 points and over coming a close to 50 point deficit in what looks like horrid conditions. Did the Dogs take their foot of the pedal or did we have injuries?

Haha. That's the final score.

1eyedog
10-07-2020, 06:13 PM
I can't remember having ever played them in a final over the past 40 years.

bornadog
10-07-2020, 06:14 PM

No we haven't

bornadog
10-07-2020, 06:16 PM
Haha. That's the final score.

Plus that one goal on the siren.

We beat them twice that year, including Princes Park

GVGjr
10-07-2020, 06:16 PM
It was a soft free kick given the conditions but he did well to make the distance given the footy would have been water logged
I stayed for the full game after seriously contemplating leaving with about 15 minutes to go but the hope of seeing them finish the game goalless kept me there.

Cold and wet through it was an uncomfortable trip home which would have been made so much better had they not kicked that goal

bornadog
10-07-2020, 06:17 PM
It was a soft free kick given the conditions but he did well to make the distance given the footy would have been water logged
I stayed for the full game after seriously contemplating leaving with about 15 minutes to go but the hope of seeing them finish the game goalless kept me there.

Cold and wet through it was an uncomfortable trip home which would have been made so much better had they not kicked that goal

Yes, we got drenched that day

Axe Man
10-07-2020, 06:19 PM
Plus that one goal on the siren.

We beat them twice that year, including Princes Park

Whoops, didn't look at that properly.

Amazingly we have never played them in a final.

westdog54
10-07-2020, 06:20 PM
I really hate Carlton, they have over the years flouted the rules, paid people under the table, organised jobs for wives with big money and generally, like Essendon, did anything to have an advantage. I can still hear that Moron Elliot saying we have a tragic history. I am so glad they haven't won a premiership for over 25 years and have been wooden spooners 5 times since then

What are some of your memorable games against this mob?

The week that Elliot made those particular comments, we gave Carlton a nice touch up at Docklands and Trent Bartlett kicked 5 goals.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2000/030720000401.html (https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2000/030720000401.html)

bornadog
10-07-2020, 06:24 PM
The week that Elliot made those particular comments, we gave Carlton a nice touch up at Docklands and Trent Bartlett kicked 5 goals.

(https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2000/030720000401.html)https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2000/030720000401.html

I was invited to the Carlton President's lunch that day; lucky with a few more Doggies supporters.

Axe Man
10-07-2020, 06:35 PM
I was invited to the Carlton President's lunch that day; lucky with a few more Doggies supporters.

My old man went to a Carlton President's lunch one day (early 90s at a guess) and inadvertently sat in Elliot's seat.

ledge
10-07-2020, 06:42 PM

Steve Macpherson has never recovered from that free kick he gave away.

Remi Moses
10-07-2020, 07:10 PM
Charity free kick
I hate these p****
I know people hate Collingwood , but these bastards wanted our club dead !
Elliott , Collins ( Chris grant brownlow) never forget

Happy Days
10-07-2020, 07:19 PM
I've only ever really known Carlton as kind of a joke so don't hate them as much as say St Kilda, but know that I'm meant to. Pretty hard to feel anything but sorry (in the most condescending possible way) for a team coached by Brendan Bolton and fielding guys like Cam Polson

I definitely hate Carlton people though, especially that self-styled intellectual dickhead Trump supporter Chris Judd and the unbelievably not dead John Elliott.

The bulldog tragician
10-07-2020, 07:36 PM
It’s amazing how just reading some of these things bring back the animosity even though Carlton have been relatively harmless of late - to be honest I can.t believe how meekly they’ve accepted their lack of competitiveness. Standing in the Princes Park outer while we got thrashed year upon year was a misery.

They have had crooks for presidents - Pratt, Elliott and Harris should all have gone to jail. They were always the teams of the silver tails. I’m sure Collins took vindictive pleasure in denying Chris Grant the Brownlow.

I had the misfortune of meeting Elliott once. You know how some people are much nicer in person? He’s not one of them.

Yeah...I’m enjoying their demise.

The win in 2000... the week before we beat the Bombres with Wallace’s super flood...was probably my favourite against them. We had no hope, were riddled with injury and somehow beat them. Murph’s first game.

That might have been the best ever fortnight in footy (pre 2016 of course)...beating Loathsome CAAArlton and Arrogant Essington in consecutive weeks.

bornadog
10-07-2020, 09:55 PM
The win in 2000... the week before we beat the Bombres with Wallace’s super flood...was probably my favourite against them. We had no hope, were riddled with injury and somehow beat them. Murph’s first game.

That might have been the best ever fortnight in footy (pre 2016 of course)...beating Loathsome CAAArlton and Arrogant Essington in consecutive weeks.

My office back then was full of Carlton supporters and boy were they unhappy with that loss. Wallace tried the flood that day too, and these guys in the office said we cheated to win by forming the wall. :D

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
10-07-2020, 10:37 PM
We had the Elliot’s a Wanker chant in the last quarter.

Twodogs
10-07-2020, 11:19 PM
It’s amazing how just reading some of these things bring back the animosity even though Carlton have been relatively harmless of late - to be honest I can.t believe how meekly they’ve accepted their lack of competitiveness. Standing in the Princes Park outer while we got thrashed year upon year was a misery. .

Remember 1985? We beat them at Princes Park for the first time since 1964, Beasley kicks 9 on Bruce Doull who was playing his 300th. Hardie makes his debut and gives their big name, big money recruit David Rhys-Jones a touch up. That was a fun day at the footy.

They have had crooks for presidents - Pratt, Elliott and Harris should all have gone to jail. They were always the teams of the silver tails. I’m sure Collins took vindictive pleasure in denying Chris Grant the Brownlow.

I had the misfortune of meeting Elliott once. You know how some people are much nicer in person? He’s not one of them..

Walking to 7-11 in Prahran for a Slurpee run one hot day when I was playing cricket with a club called the Reds who are a communist inspired cricket club. Anyway we see Elliot sitting outside a cafe with a bottle of red in front of him. The guy I was walking with had bought his bat with him (I still don't know why) and I hear "Elliot, you #$@*. I've been waiting for this day" and all of a sudden I'm dragging this guy away from their table. Elliot was so pissed he hadn't even noticed that a guy with a cricket was trying to hit him with it.

Bloody good choice. Trent Bartlett gets the dodgiest free kick of all time and kicks the winner. Young Robert Murphy wearing #22 had run into position and received a handball, didn't panic and slotted a goal to get us within a kick just as it ticked into timeon. We knew that he would be a player there and then.

Carlton supporters around us were going off their heads with anger. A little girl behind us turns around to her dad, gives him the dirtiest look and says "you told me that they were the Bulldogs and they COULDN'T beat us" I often wonder if she has lasted the distance as a Carlton supporter. My dad turns to me and says "some days are just better than others. Don't you think?"

I have a photo from that day of Rohan Smith and Trent Bartlett walking off the ground surrounded by baying Carlton supporters. Bubba is holding up the Bulldog badge on his jumper so they can watch it and weep. Trent is holding his arms above his head in victory mode! I *!*!*!*!ing love that photo.

Dancin' Douggy
10-07-2020, 11:58 PM
Is Judd really a Trump supporter?

EasternWest
10-07-2020, 11:59 PM
Is Judd really a Trump supporter?

Even if he isn't, it's another thing to dislike him for. So he is.

Remi Moses
11-07-2020, 12:09 AM
Judd’s wife is the most annoying person on the planet

Remi Moses
11-07-2020, 12:10 AM
Never forget their smarmy supporters
That’s a genie that hopefully stays in the bottle

Sedat
11-07-2020, 12:21 AM
I think it was R2 in 1998 and we played Carlton at Princes Park in front of a full house - we were the 'home' team from memory. Both teams were up and about and we absolutely smashed them off their own dung hill by 10 goals. Some of the footy we played that day was absolutely sublime.

SonofScray
11-07-2020, 01:56 AM
A Blues fan pushed past me at Optus Oval near the fence in the Legends Stand one year and punched a woman right in the face, I believe he ended up breaking her jaw. I'll never forget it. The weakest act I've witnessed at the footy. I was probably 15 or so, had a bit of a crack back but my folks got in the way.

I hate them mostly because of Elliot and Collins and that incident.

They've been humbled in recent history. So I don't hate them as much as I used to. They can stay in the competition. Much like Collingwood. I hate them, but like hating them, so they should continue to exist. North, Essendon, GWS & St Kilda on the other hand, they can all get in the bin for good.

I like when we beat them now, mostly for the Bont v Cripps meltdowns on twitter and Facebook.

Bulldog Joe
11-07-2020, 09:20 AM

Surely there is a bit of competition for that position.

Donald, Bruce, BT and Kardashian ... plus John Elliott and Ian Collins

soupman
11-07-2020, 11:02 AM
Never forget their smarmy supporters
That’s a genie that hopefully stays in the bottle

Weirdly having been a teen in the early 2000's the vast majority of Carlton supporters I know are actually really pleasant. Kind of like pre-2017 Richmond supporters my age, who were all very cautiously optimistic but quite realistic about their chances and good at embracing the suck.

This is in direct contrast to Essendong supporters my age, who are almost all insufferable and since Essendon have been shit for so long have mostly dropped off and lost interest. For a bunch of guys who liked rubbing in how good they were they've really struggled when that isn't a plausible move anymore for them.

bornadog
11-07-2020, 11:12 AM
Weirdly having been a teen in the early 2000's the vast majority of Carlton supporters I know are actually really pleasant. Kind of like pre-2017 Richmond supporters my age, who were all very cautiously optimistic but quite realistic about their chances and good at embracing the suck.

This is in direct contrast to Essendong supporters my age, who are almost all insufferable and since Essendon have been shit for so long have mostly dropped off and lost interest. For a bunch of guys who liked rubbing in how good they were they've really struggled when that isn't a plausible move anymore for them.

Don't worry we will discuss Essendon who I hate even more next week. :D

The bulldog tragician
11-07-2020, 12:37 PM
Don't worry we will discuss Essendon who I hate even more next week. :D
Essendon is still my no 1 hated Victorian teams

It’s one of the great existential questions...if there were an Ess v GWS grand finals who would you barrack for? (There’s a lot of time in lockdown to over think things)

Apart from the obvious answer of completely turning off all media for the week, the best I’ve been able to come up with is that both clubs are found over the following days to have taken performance enhancing drugs and booted out of the competition. Bonus points if T Greene, J Cameron, J Finlayson, C Hooker, M Hurley, H Shaw, H Himmel-whatever are among the guilty and Sheedy is somehow responsible for the fiasco
(I did say there’s a LOT of time in quarantine to over think things)

Rocket Science
11-07-2020, 04:38 PM

https://i.ibb.co/ySkB9Dr/Screen-Shot-2020-07-11-at-3-37-50-pm.png (https://ibb.co/sH1JfhZ)

comrade
11-07-2020, 05:28 PM
It’s one of the great existential questions...if there were an Ess v GWS grand finals who would you barrack for? (There’s a lot of time in lockdown to over think things)

A nuclear attack.

Bulldog Joe
11-07-2020, 05:36 PM
A nuclear attack.

It wouldn't be that bad but I understand how you feel.

jeemak
11-07-2020, 06:14 PM
I've only ever really known Carlton as kind of a joke so don't hate them as much as say St Kilda, but know that I'm meant to. Pretty hard to feel anything but sorry (in the most condescending possible way) for a team coached by Brendan Bolton and fielding guys like Cam Polson

I definitely hate Carlton people though, especially that self-styled intellectual dickhead Trump supporter Chris Judd and the unbelievably not dead John Elliott.

Genuine belly laugh at that. How is the guy not dead?

Wasn't aware Judd was a Trump fan...…….everyone has their perversions I suppose. I thought his was gleefully watching everyone else cop flack for stuff he should also cop flack for but doesn't.

Sedat
11-07-2020, 11:11 PM
A nuclear attack.
I'd be happy with COVID or an asteroid if the nuclear attack doesn't come off.

Twodogs
12-07-2020, 07:30 PM
A nuclear attack.

We'd have a week to taunt Trump until he takes aim and presses the button.

Rocket Science
12-07-2020, 11:05 PM
Can we chuck this thread into a skip then set fire to it please?

Bulldog Revolution
13-07-2020, 12:06 AM

I try not to believe in omens but I couldnt help but feel ill that we started this one before the game rather than after the result

I hate losing to Carlton - without a doubt my most hated of all opposition - Giants rising fast though

GVGjr
13-07-2020, 08:53 AM

Tempted fate didn't we?
Josh Bruce and Easton Wood were talked up last week as well and came back to the pack pretty quickly

Sometimes footy is like a game of whack-a-mole :)

CarnTheScray
19-07-2020, 05:17 PM
I love watching teams beat Carlton.

Remi Moses
19-07-2020, 06:33 PM
One thing better than seeing them lose by a point
It’s a loss after the siren ;)
They did carry on like they’d won the flag last week

Rocket Science
19-07-2020, 10:11 PM
One thing better than seeing them lose by a point
It’s a loss after the siren ;)
They did carry on like they’d won the flag last week

Can you imagine how unbearable this week would've been had they actually got up over the ladder leaders?

Thank christ. Take your broken hearts and get back in your box you tragic pricks.

bornadog
19-07-2020, 11:19 PM
Can you imagine how unbearable this week would've been had they actually got up over the ladder leaders?

Thank christ. Take your broken hearts and get back in your box you tragic pricks.

On the one hand I thought, Port losing would be good, we would be one game off top spot, then I thought, nah it's Carlton that would need to win. It was so great watching that last quarter

Sedat
20-07-2020, 12:44 AM
I think the fantastic last 18 or so years of Carlton being completely useless are coming to an end. Today was a stay of execution. They have a good squad with increased depth and a coach who knows his stuff.

Vred
20-07-2020, 02:50 AM

This is exactly how I felt when I saw this thread pop up before the game, and why I avoided it. Posting a thread like this before the game was bad juju.. With that said, was so glad to see Port put them back in their place this weekend.

Bulldog Joe
20-07-2020, 07:38 AM
I think the fantastic last 18 or so years of Carlton being completely useless are coming to an end. Today was a stay of execution. They have a good squad with increased depth and a coach who knows his stuff.

Unfortunately, I am forced to agree with you.

They are going very well. Pittonet is making Clarkson look wrong in dumping him to keep Ceglar.

They have good talls at both ends even without Charlie Curnow and Sam Walsh is very good to add to Cripps work.

The coach does seem to come into games well prepared all of the time. They are definitely a finals chance, but would be nice to see them get stuck around 9th for a year or two.

comrade
20-07-2020, 08:28 AM
After nearly 2 decades, you'd hope they've finally reached a point of competitiveness.

And no matter how much Carlton fans will disagree, they made a blunder taking the safe choice of Walsh over the game changing talents of Rankine, Kingsx2 and Smith.

GVGjr
20-07-2020, 10:08 AM
After nearly 2 decades, you'd hope they've finally reached a point of competitiveness.

And no matter how much Carlton fans will disagree, they made a blunder taking the safe choice of Walsh over the game changing talents of Rankine, Kingsx2 and Smith.

I'd add Lukosius and Rozee to that list as well. I don't think we can view the Walsh selection as anything other than an excellent one though.

EasternWest
20-07-2020, 10:10 AM

Looking at that top ten I don't think you would have gone wrong with any of them. Walsh is a good player.

comrade
20-07-2020, 10:18 AM
Looking at that top ten I don't think you would have gone wrong with any of them. Walsh is a good player.

Good player, won't be the best from that draft though.

EasternWest
20-07-2020, 11:47 AM
Good player, won't be the best from that draft though.

Won't be Tim Walsh either or Richard Tambling either.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-07-2020, 12:16 PM

I'm thinking an impact similar to Marc Murphy. Not bad at all but nothing spectacular. He's a safe bet and you can't blame them for picking him.

Speaking of safe bets, you would hate to have a pick between 3-10 this year. It's anyones guess who is good and who isnt.

Happy Days
20-07-2020, 12:18 PM

Walsh is awesome, I think it's become a bit self-fulfilling that he has no upside by people continuing to say it. He took a colossal pack mark on the weekend that I didn't know he had in him and has shown a pretty decent bag of tricks. Just because he looks, sounds and walks like a Trent Cotchin type does not mean he is.

Anyway I thought we were all bagging Rozee now.

soupman
20-07-2020, 12:25 PM
Walsh is awesome, I think it's become a bit self-fulfilling that he has no upside by people continuing to say it. He took a colossal pack mark on the weekend that I didn't know he had in him and has shown a pretty decent bag of tricks. Just because he looks, sounds and walks like a Trent Cotchin type does not mean he is.

Yeah I was all ready to get on the "Walsh is meh" train but i thought he was super impressive yesterday. That mark was incredible, he linked up really well and ran hard forward and most importantly finished his chances.

EasternWest
20-07-2020, 12:55 PM

Yeah I like him too. That's why I'm surprised people are saying "he's no Smith/King/Rozee" when he's a good player in his own right.

GVGjr
20-07-2020, 01:03 PM
Yeah I like him too. That's why I'm surprised people are saying "he's no Smith/King/Rozee" when he's a good player in his own right.

Just about every team has the right to say they've done very well

Ozza
20-07-2020, 01:07 PM
Apologies if I'm saying what someone else may have already said earlier.....

But those of you that are about 25 years or younger, really have no idea how unbearable it is when Carlton are a good side. Trust me, it is truly awful. The arrogance is beyond anything you've seen in footy in your lifetimes.

The recent 15 years or so, I have never once felt sympathy for them when they've been pummelled by big margins or had big losing streaks.

The weekend was quite glorious having Essendon, Hawthon, Carlton and North all lose.

comrade
20-07-2020, 01:53 PM
The weekend was quite glorious having Essendon, Hawthon, Carlton and North all lose.

And Geelong. And GWS.

Great weekend of footy.

Sedat
20-07-2020, 02:07 PM
I'd add Lukosius and Rozee to that list as well. I don't think we can view the Walsh selection as anything other than an excellent one though.
Walsh is the least of their problems in relation to recent draft selections. Their other recent top 10 selections Paddy Dow and Lochie O'Brien were selected for outside run but have not come on as expected (Dow currently injured but has been a ball butcher).

The top 10 from 2018 is total rolled gold - even Chayce Jones is a really good player in a crap team. Arguably Nick Blakey is the worst performed of that group. Walsh was awesome yesterday - for a 2nd year player he had a very large influence on that game.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-07-2020, 02:50 PM
Apologies if I'm saying what someone else may have already said earlier.....

But those of you that are about 25 years or younger, really have no idea how unbearable it is when Carlton are a good side. Trust me, it is truly awful. The arrogance is beyond anything you've seen in footy in your lifetimes.

The recent 15 years or so, I have never once felt sympathy for them when they've been pummelled by big margins or had big losing streaks.

Im in my early 30s and have no idea what they can be like. They've sucked for as long as i can remember. But being a big club I can only imagine.

Remi Moses
20-07-2020, 03:13 PM
Well you’d think after having more number ones than the Beatles they’d come good.
Sadly , they’re on the up .
Still reckon they need a few more quality mids

Remi Moses
20-07-2020, 03:14 PM
Im in my early 30s and have no idea what they can be like. They've sucked for as long as i can remember. But being a big club I can only imagine.

Trust me it’s a genie you want kept in the bottle

Sedat
20-07-2020, 04:21 PM
Still reckon they need a few more quality mids
Yep, midfield depth is their biggest weakness. They'd want Dow to come good and not be a bust at pick 2 - O'Brien already looks like a bust at pick 10

bornadog
20-07-2020, 04:23 PM
I hope they completely fail and never to be seen again.

If I hear one more football commentator say if carlton is doing well then it is good for football, I will do a Terry Wallace. :mad:

Happy Days
20-07-2020, 04:35 PM
Yep, midfield depth is their biggest weakness. They'd want Dow to come good and not be a bust at pick 2 - O'Brien already looks like a bust at pick 10

I know he's still very young but Dow always looks so tiny out there. I don't think his body can hold up or put on the size required to be a full time mid.

Prince Imperial
20-07-2020, 05:42 PM
I know he's still very young but Dow always looks so tiny out there. I don't think his body can hold up or put on the size required to be a full time mid.

His kicking has been diabolical so far and he will need to improve dramatically on that front.