PDA

View Full Version : Dry weather footballers

Mofra
13-07-2020, 12:46 PM
A few of us remember the Footscray teams of the 80s, notably Simon Beasley being a late out whenever it rained on Friday.

After watching Schache last night and thinking he's a "dry weather only" footballer, who are the better examples of Bulldog players who only seem to be able to play when there is no rain about?

bulldogsthru&thru
13-07-2020, 12:50 PM
A few of us remember the Footscray teams of the 80s, notably Simon Beasley being a late out whenever it rained on Friday.

After watching Schache last night and thinking he's a "dry weather only" footballer, who are the better examples of Bulldog players who only seem to be able to play when there is no rain about?

JJ and Suckling.

Higgins, Gia and Cooney in years prior.

I think alot of the time you'll find those players who disappear when it's raining are also those who tend to go missing when the chips are down. Picko, Boyd, Morris and Libba are examples of the opposite.

bornadog
13-07-2020, 12:56 PM
I remember Malthouse use to only play Tony Libba when it was raining.

We should have handled those conditions last night better, but I think in rain, the stronger more mature bodies prevail.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-07-2020, 12:58 PM
I remember Malthouse use to only play Tony Libba when it was raining.

We should have handled those conditions last night better, but I think in rain, the stronger more mature bodies prevail.

We handled it incredibly poorly which would be more understandable if it werent for the fact that Carlton handled it really well. It was almost as if one team was playing in a monsoon and the other under the roof at Marvel.

Mofra
13-07-2020, 01:22 PM
JJ and Suckling.

Suckling is a good one.

Mofra
13-07-2020, 01:23 PM
We handled it incredibly poorly which would be more understandable if it werent for the fact that Carlton handled it really well. It was almost as if one team was playing in a monsoon and the other under the roof at Marvel.
Is that gameplan or personnel? Bont did his usual one-handed Doug Hawkins like pick-up at one stage. Conversely, Ed Richards had one of the worst games I've seen him play.

comrade
13-07-2020, 01:39 PM
Mitch Wallis. Struggles to pick up ground balls cleanly even in dry weather, last night he was no chance. Did take a nice mark though.

Happy Days
13-07-2020, 01:42 PM
One of Schache's best games last year was in the driving rain. I reckon it was more a case of "didn't get a kick in the first quarter so gave up" like he has been known to do.

jeemak
13-07-2020, 01:46 PM
Schache kicked four against the Hawks on a day that was a touch wet for a fair period and kicked three against Port in horrible conditions.

He's a player who needs space, not dry conditions. He's skillful, it's usually something that comes in handy when it's wet.

Ozza
13-07-2020, 01:47 PM
JJ and Suckling.

Higgins, Gia and Cooney in years prior.

I think alot of the time you'll find those players who disappear when it's raining are also those who tend to go missing when the chips are down. Picko, Boyd, Morris and Libba are examples of the opposite.

The only match I recall being in the wet last year was against Port - and JJ was one of our best with 25 possession - 21 of which were kicks.

To others mentioning Schache - he kicked 3 goals v Port last year.

Yes, both were poor last night - but one good or bad game in the wet doesn't mean that is them entirely.

bornadog
13-07-2020, 01:50 PM
Schache kicked four against the Hawks on a day that was a touch wet for a fair period and kicked three against Port in horrible conditions.

He's a player who needs space, not dry conditions. He's skillful, it's usually something that comes in handy when it's wet.

He seemed to be off the ground for the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

I would have chucked him in the ruck and let English go forward to get Schache involved. Those goals he kicked against the Hawks were mainly when he was second rucking.

Ozza
13-07-2020, 01:58 PM
He seemed to be off the ground for the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

I would have chucked him in the ruck and let English go forward to get Schache involved. Those goals he kicked against the Hawks were mainly when he was second rucking.

Schache only had 57% game time yesterday.

GVGjr
13-07-2020, 02:14 PM

Probably a sign that he should not have been selected

Ozza
13-07-2020, 02:17 PM
The comment from jeemak is spot on - Schache is just not suited to games where congestion is a big factor. He is really only able to get involved when he can use his aerobic attributes and his skills in more open space.

Danjul
13-07-2020, 02:26 PM
That’s interesting. I was wondering why I rarely saw him.

Mofra
13-07-2020, 02:31 PM
That's worrying. Injury/niggle?

comrade
13-07-2020, 02:33 PM
That's worrying. Injury/niggle?

My take? Bevo was jack of him so sat him on the pine.

Danjul
13-07-2020, 02:34 PM
The comment from jeemak is spot on - Schache is just not suited to games where congestion is a big factor. He is really only able to get involved when he can use his aerobic attributes and his skills in more open space.
But why was it so congested?

Because of the handball game which led to a high kick into the half forward flank. Put most of the forwards in a confined space. Carlton was able to spoil and get the ball out to free players who had space to run the ball down the ground.

we have few players who naturally hold the ball long enough to see good options.

1eyedog
13-07-2020, 02:40 PM
Simon Cox and Craig Ellis. Both were deplorable wet weather footballers.

Danjul
13-07-2020, 03:04 PM
How wet was it?

McKay, McGovern and Casboult took 18 marks on Carlton’s forward line and kicked 6 goals.

I can’t see weather as a significant factor. It was simply a repeat of last year.

once the opposition put big bodies on the forward line, and feed them from the middle of the ground, I see most of our backmen in the same pack trying to spoil. The small forwards stay down and have a feast.

Poor selection.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-07-2020, 03:08 PM
Is that gameplan or personnel? Bont did his usual one-handed Doug Hawkins like pick-up at one stage. Conversely, Ed Richards had one of the worst games I've seen him play.

You know I'm not sure. We aren't the most skilful team so you would think wet weather would play into our hands. But then we arent the most contested side either. I'm actually not sure what our strength is. 2016 was about being contested animals and applying relentless pressure. But that contested side has largely gone from out game and now we seem to be without an identity.

jeemak
13-07-2020, 03:41 PM
But why was it so congested?

Because of the handball game which led to a high kick into the half forward flank. Put most of the forwards in a confined space. Carlton was able to spoil and get the ball out to free players who had space to run the ball down the ground.

we have few players who naturally hold the ball long enough to see good options.

Pressing so high we didn't spread their defenders, and as you say, our overuse by hand enabled them to fill space and or put us under pressure resulting in dirty high ball going into the fifty. Pretty much the same issues as we've had when not playing well for the last few years.

jeemak
13-07-2020, 03:42 PM
You know I'm not sure. We aren't the most skilful team so you would think wet weather would play into our hands. But then we arent the most contested side either. I'm actually not sure what our strength is. 2016 was about being contested animals and applying relentless pressure. But that contested side has largely gone from out game and now we seem to be without an identity.

Sure wet weather can bring teams closer together, though it's usually the team with better skills that plays well in the wet.

Grantysghost
13-07-2020, 03:43 PM
Pressing so high we didn't spread their defenders, and as you say, our overuse by hand enabled them to fill space and or put us under pressure resulting in dirty high ball going into the fifty. Pretty much the same issues as we've had when not playing well for the last few years.

Bevo said in the members message the defenders pushed up too high and we will address it during the week. Why couldn't we address it during the game?

bulldogsthru&thru
13-07-2020, 03:57 PM
Bevo said in the members message the defenders pushed up too high and we will address it during the week. Why couldn't we address it during the game?

Yeah there's more to it surely. We had an entire offseason to address is after GWS and did nothing against the pies. Then we had virtually another offseason to address it against the saints and did nothing. Then we did seem to address it for 3 weeks. Excellent, the players got the message. They get it. Nope it happened again last night and for 4 quarters we were unable to do anything to rectify it. Where does the blame fall?

Mofra
13-07-2020, 03:58 PM
We're the number one team in the competition in scoring chains from the back half. IIRC we were for the second half of last season too.
Teams that can shut down our space tend to suffocate use, Collingwood delivered a masterclass in round 1 in that regard. I'm wondering if in the wet we lose that time and space.

Danjul
13-07-2020, 04:41 PM
We're the number one team in the competition in scoring chains from the back half. IIRC we were for the second half of last season too.
Teams that can shut down our space tend to suffocate use, Collingwood delivered a masterclass in round 1 in that regard. I'm wondering if in the wet we lose that time and space.
It was the game in the wet against Port that gave the team the confidence and momentum to storm into the finals last year.

CarnTheScray
13-07-2020, 04:42 PM
It wasn't so much the weather as it was the game-plan and attitude we brought. Some of our players sure cannot play in the wet, others can and proved such last year but performed awfully last night.

Ozza
13-07-2020, 09:03 PM

A fair bit was left to Cordy and Keath - and for them to have to play 100% game time because we went in so short in defence and no other options there wasn't ideal. Wood having to play taller, it would appear (hard to tell on tv), gave him less capacity to peel off and go third man up or intercept.

jeemak
13-07-2020, 10:10 PM
A fair bit was left to Cordy and Keath - and for them to have to play 100% game time because we went in so short in defence and no other options there wasn't ideal. Wood having to play taller, it would appear (hard to tell on tv), gave him less capacity to peel off and go third man up or intercept.

With Crozier not playing that was amplified. Ahem, but not sure if anyone's mentioned this but we have Trengove and Young who can play tall as well.

Jeanette54
16-07-2020, 04:05 PM
With Crozier not playing that was amplified. Ahem, but not sure if anyone's mentioned this but we have Trengove and Young who can play tall as well.

Sorry Jeemak, who ?

bornadog
16-07-2020, 05:24 PM
Will be a bit slippery again on Friday as the grass will have some dew on it.

CarnTheScray
16-07-2020, 06:38 PM
Someone on the MC save me and select Dickson

comrade
17-07-2020, 03:21 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PleasedRepentantDassierat-mobile.mp4

Take a look at this clip from last week's game for a good example of Bulldogs players not adjusting to the conditions at all.

It's like we had a different ball to Carlton.

bornadog
17-07-2020, 03:25 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PleasedRepentantDassierat-mobile.mp4

Take a look at this clip from last week's game for a good example of Bulldogs players not adjusting to the conditions at all.

It's like we had a different ball to Carlton.

Lot's of fumbling which you can't afford and can become a dangerous turnover.

comrade
17-07-2020, 03:30 PM
Lot's of fumbling which you can't afford and can become a dangerous turnover.

The only Bulldog who didn't fumble in that clip was surprise surprise, Bailey Smith.