PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 9 Vs Richmond 2020

Scraggers
22-07-2020, 03:24 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 8 match against Gold Coast for our Round 8, 2020 match against Richmond at Metricon on Wednesday night?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
23-07-2020, 10:30 PM
Bump

EasternWest
23-07-2020, 10:44 PM
Out: Gowers, Suckling.
In: forwards

Vred
23-07-2020, 11:19 PM
Out: Gowers
in : literally anybody

hujsh
23-07-2020, 11:28 PM
I mean...

Out Gowers, Weightman, and Young
In Lloyd, Dickson, and either of Schache or Greene

Suckling to move up field maybe?

Probably a few lucky ones but 3 changes is a lot in a winning side.

Happy Days
23-07-2020, 11:33 PM
Please don’t drop Suckling. He’s not going to benefit in the scratch matches and he’s usually a good contributor.

Rocco Jones
23-07-2020, 11:34 PM
I am really pleased with how we are going in the chaos, i think it's Bevo's element.

I would go with as many changes to freshen up the team.

Gowers out any week.

Richards, Weightman, Suckers, Porter all out possibly if they don't freshen up well for whoever is able to come in.

Really, really like Vanders effect on team. Feel like he can have it 10 times and be well worth his place.

I also liked how Porter attacked it.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-07-2020, 11:35 PM
A mix of Hunter, McLean, West, Greene.

Outs to consider would be Gowers, Young, Weightman, Porter and Richards.

Rocco Jones
23-07-2020, 11:35 PM
Thing with Young too, he covers so much ground. I am really happy with 21 of the 22 honestly. Just about getting that energy in.

Happy Days
23-07-2020, 11:36 PM
I liked Porter but those were tailor made conditions for him. If Hunter is ready then bring him in.

azabob
23-07-2020, 11:39 PM
Out: Gowers, Suckling.
In: forwards

Suckling is best 22. You nearly admitted it last week.

Pickenitup
23-07-2020, 11:39 PM
In Trengove Dickson McLean West
Out Gowers Weightman Young Porter
Trengove must play and play on Lynch .

Scraggers
23-07-2020, 11:40 PM
Out Gowers (for ever please) in West.
Gowers looks out of his depth. He doesn’t know where to run, he doesn’t attack the ball and he applies very little defensive pressure. And don’t get me started on that last kick :confused:

Doc26
23-07-2020, 11:40 PM
Whilst both Suckling and Gowers are fortunate to be in the side what do we do with Bruce? Conditions weren’t favourable to him this evening but against Richmond‘a more mobile and effective defence his presence shapes as a mismatch. I’m struggling to think of another current AFL player going around with that amount of size / bulk. He really needs the drive to become leaner and stronger ala Charlie Dixon to remain current.

jazzadogs
23-07-2020, 11:42 PM
I don't see Bont backing up in 5 days from that. I would love to see Mclean come in and get to play through the midfield, where he has undoubtedly played the best football of his career.

Porter deserves another week (or 2-3). He very clearly worked his way into the game, with some solid tackles and ferocious attack on the ball in the closing stages. Skills let him down at times, but definitely worth persisting with.

Gowers has to be out for someone - Lloyd, Dickson, Schache, West, Dale in that order.

Mofra
We need a tall in the front half to split the defenders on Bruce. God we're missing Naughton. One of Schache or Lewie Young simply has to come in.

EasternWest
Please don’t drop Suckling. He’s not going to benefit in the scratch matches and he’s usually a good contributor.

I won't hear it. Gone.

Suckling is best 22. You nearly admitted it last week.

Citation needed.

westbulldog
23-07-2020, 11:50 PM
Out Gowers Suckling Weightman Bruce
In Sweet Lloyd West Lewis Young

Happy Days
23-07-2020, 11:55 PM
We have a pretty tough run for the next few weeks, and I think we need all our Capital G Guys in to beat Port and Brisbane, so would look to rest 2-3 players next week against a half-strength Richmond.

Bont played a lot forward and could be pulled. Bruce has done nothing and has had questions over his condition so might need some rest. Bailey Smith is still so young that he might need a week. Libba's knees are an issue. I would rest them all.

Ozza
23-07-2020, 11:56 PM
Surely Gowers was asked to step outside from the post game to go meet with Sam Power immediately.
He's not on the list anymore.

comrade
23-07-2020, 11:58 PM
Surely Gowers was asked to step outside from the post game to go meet with Sam Power immediately.
He's not on the list anymore.

Given Bevo's track record, would it really surprise you if Billy played next week?

Mantis
24-07-2020, 12:02 AM
We have a pretty tough run for the next few weeks, and I think we need all our Capital G Guys in to beat Port and Brisbane, so would look to rest 2-3 players next week against a half-strength Richmond.

Bont played a lot forward and could be pulled. Bruce has done nothing and has had questions over his condition so might need some rest. Bailey Smith is still so young that he might need a week. Libba's knees are an issue. I would rest them all.

I would be looking to play as full a strength team as we can next week and then send any old team to Adel for the game against Port. Would then allows us to be fresh for the game against Brisbane.

Ozza
24-07-2020, 12:03 AM
Given Bevo's track record, would it really surprise you if Billy played next week?

I'm going to be getting Billy a job in property during the week. He'll be taking inspections on Wednesday night mate.

bornadog
24-07-2020, 12:11 AM
I wonder if we will consider Dickson, Lloyd, Greene, and Schache and Le Young? Does Sweet debut to give English a breather - Are Richmond's rucks any good?

Outs will depend a little on how the players pulled up and who needs a rest. Surely for gods sake Billy doesn't play ever again

Rest: English, Libba, drop Weightman, Richards and Gowers

So 5 in and 5 out.

Bumper Bulldogs
24-07-2020, 07:44 AM
Whilst both Suckling and Gowers are fortunate to be in the side what do we do with Bruce? Conditions weren’t favourable to him this evening but against Richmond‘a more mobile and effective defence his presence shapes as a mismatch. I’m struggling to think of another current AFL player going around with that amount of size / bulk. He really needs the drive to become leaner and stronger ala Charlie Dixon to remain current.

I think Bruce would benefit with playing Young down along side him in the F50, that requires Gowers to be dropped.

Also West and McClean need to one in at the expense of Bont and Weightman. If Loyd is fit then maybe Euckers or Porter goes out. I’m not sold on suckers in the F50. I rather West, Loyd or McClean. The issue is I don’t want to drop Crozier, Williams, Daniel, Cordy, Keith for him. So that leaves JJ or Suckers and right now I’ve got JJ slightly in front.

Bullies
24-07-2020, 07:59 AM
Don't care so long as Gowers never plays again. Hopefully it is the last time we see him try and take one of those marks 8th in line.

Can only begin to imagine the WOOF meltdown had the Suns scored a goal from that kick in the last 30 seconds. Bevo dodged a bullet.

Danjul
24-07-2020, 10:32 AM
Don't care so long as Gowers never plays again. Hopefully it is the last time we see him try and take one of those marks 8th in line.

Can only begin to imagine the WOOF meltdown had the Suns scored a goal from that kick in the last 30 seconds. Bevo dodged a bullet.

Can’t understand the focus on Gowers. Our superstar key forward keeps getting praise despite the fact that he has had five games with less kicks than Gowers had last night. I saw others make bad mistakes but nobody sees them because they are fixated on one player.

Don’t get me wrong, he had a bad game. But I have seen more creative activity in a cemetery at night than on that forward line. That’s where players go to kill their career.

comrade
24-07-2020, 10:35 AM
Can’t understand the focus on Gowers. Our superstar key forward keeps getting praise despite the fact that he has had five games with less kicks than Gowers had last night. I saw others make bad mistakes but nobody sees them because they are fixated on one player.

Don’t get me wrong, he had a bad game. But I have seen more creative activity in a cemetery at night than on that forward line. That’s where players go to kill their career.

If you followed the GD thread, there was plenty of focus on other players. Gowers just stands out above all others because he pulled off the worst kick of all time.

Danjul
24-07-2020, 10:40 AM
If you followed the GD thread, there was plenty of focus on other players. Gowers just stands out above all others because he pulled off the worst kick of all time.

I lost count of our players kicking to unmarked opposition players when we had teammates in the clear . Gowers was simply the last of at least a dozen.

bornadog
24-07-2020, 10:52 AM
Schache received a knock to the head in the scratch match, so may be concussed and probably not available at this stage

Axe Man
24-07-2020, 11:16 AM
I lost count of our players kicking to unmarked opposition players when we had teammates in the clear . Gowers was simply the last of at least a dozen.

I agree with you that there has been way too much focus on Gowers when he had plenty of ineffective mates last night. However it was the decision to take that kick that was far worse than the skill error. He's played enough footy to know better than that.

Mantis
24-07-2020, 11:20 AM
We are carrying far too many non-performers on the wings and in our forward-line. Ideally we would have the likes of Hunter, Dunkley, Lloyd, Naughton, Dale & Jong available to give us some mature bodies and consistent performers, but alas that's not the case. However filling those spots with kids or players not capable of playing out of position is leaving the heavy lifting to too few.

Not sure how we structure up, but I can't see us winning any of the next 3 with the likes of Weightman, Porter, Young & Gowers in the team.

The back half looks ok if we don't press too high, but the forward half needs a makeover.

Bullies
24-07-2020, 11:23 AM
Seriously everyone can see that Gowers is no good. He is the Golden Child of Bevo which ultimately led to Dalrymple leaving. Bevo keeps persisting in the hope he is proven right. He needs to cuts his losses and move on that his choice was a failure.

comrade
24-07-2020, 11:27 AM
We are carrying far too many non-performers on the wings and in our forward-line. Ideally we would have the likes of Hunter, Dunkley, Lloyd, Naughton, Dale & Jong available to give us some mature bodies and consistent performers, but alas that's not the case. However filling those spots with kids or players not capable of playing out of position is leaving the heavy lifting to too few.

Not sure how we structure up, but I can't see us winning any of the next 3 with the likes of Weightman, Porter, Young & Gowers in the team.

The back half looks ok if we don't press too high, but the forward half needs a makeover.

I think if you replace Porter, Young & Gowers with Lloyd, West & McLean we're immediately a more productive side.

And despite his shocker against Carlton, I think Schache needs to come in to provide Bruce with some help to split the defenders.

A forward group of:

Wallis Bruce West
Lloyd Schache McLean

Looks a lot closer to AFL quality than the ragtag bunch we tried to shoe horn in last night.

Happy Days
24-07-2020, 11:32 AM
I think if you replace Porter, Young & Gowers with Lloyd, West & McLean we're immediately a more productive side.

And despite his shocker against Carlton, I think Schache needs to come in to provide Bruce with some help to split the defenders.

A forward group of:

Wallis Bruce West
Lloyd Schache McLean

Looks a lot closer to AFL quality than the ragtag bunch we tried to shoe horn in last night.

This is total speculation but I don't think we'll see Schache for a while. We saw an extended absence after a conditional effort against the Pies last year, and without true to life seconds football to show intensity in, it will be all the more difficult to win back Bevo's trust.

We're playing Matt Suckling as a third tall over him.

comrade
24-07-2020, 11:37 AM
This is total speculation but I don't think we'll see Schache for a while. We saw an extended absence after a conditional effort against the Pies last year, and without true to life seconds football to show intensity in, it will be all the more difficult to win back Bevo's trust.

We're playing Matt Suckling as a third tall over him.

Lewis Young then.

bornadog
24-07-2020, 11:56 AM

A forward group of:

Wallis Bruce West
Lloyd Schache McLean

Check post #30

comrade
24-07-2020, 11:57 AM
Check post #30

Yeah, depends how he pulls up. Baz and Vander both played after copping knocks.

EasternWest
24-07-2020, 12:11 PM
But I have seen more creative activity in a cemetery at night than on that forward line. That’s where players go to kill their career.

That's gold.

jazzadogs
24-07-2020, 12:32 PM
Seriously everyone can see that Gowers is no good. He is the Golden Child of Bevo which ultimately led to Dalrymple leaving. Bevo keeps persisting in the hope he is proven right. He needs to cuts his losses and move on that his choice was a failure.

I don't think you can label Gowers a failure, after he was our leading goalkicker in his first year. Is he part of our best 22? No. Should he be given a new contract? Not in my opinion. But has he been an all-round failure? No.

comrade
24-07-2020, 12:58 PM
Re-watching the game, Matty Suckling was worse than Gowers. Didn't record a single tackle and gave away multiple free kicks because he was outpositioned.

He's not suited to the forward line at all, and his days of running up and down the wing are probably over, too. So what do we do with him?

OUT: Gowers, Suckling, Young
IN: Lloyd, West, McLean

Weightman and Porter get 1 more crack.

bornadog
24-07-2020, 01:02 PM
Re-watching the game, Matty Suckling was worse than Gowers. Didn't record a single tackle and gave away multiple free kicks because he was outpositioned.

He's not suited to the forward line at all, and his days of running up and down the wing are probably over, too. So what do we do with him?

OUT: Gowers, Suckling, Young
IN: Lloyd, West, McLean

Weightman and Porter get 1 more crack.

Apparently Mclean played well in the scratch match

EasternWest
24-07-2020, 01:06 PM

I have a suggestion.

comrade
24-07-2020, 01:08 PM
Apparently Mclean played well in the scratch match

Can you link to the report?

Axe Man
24-07-2020, 01:41 PM
Can you link to the report?

Wouldn't some sort of information from the club about our scratch matches be amazing?

Last week Essendon had video highlights (obliviously only Bomber highlights) and a write up on each player. We got a couple of comments from Gia and a video from Essendon making all our players look like boobs.

Dickson screwed up a certain goal in the square so this is the only evidence I have as to why he can't get a game! I think Lewis Young seemed to be playing back somewhat surprisingly. That's the only info I could garner and it came from another club's vision.

comrade
24-07-2020, 01:43 PM
Wouldn't some sort of information from the club about our scratch matches be amazing?

Last week Essendon had video highlights (obliviously only Bomber highlights) and a write up on each player. We got a couple of comments from Gia and a video from Essendon making all our players look like boobs.

Dickson screwed up a certain goal in the square so this is the only evidence I have as to why he can't get a game! I think Lewis Young seemed to be playing back somewhat surprisingly. That's the only info I could garner and it came from another club's vision.

These tweets from a WB communications staffer provide some insight into the scratchy yesterday:

https://twitter.com/nickduxson/status/1286119259714621440?s=20

I know COVID has decimated the staffing levels at the club, but surely we can do better.

Bulldog Joe
24-07-2020, 01:48 PM
I see plenty of suggestion to rest players, but I strongly disagree.

Every win is gold at this point and we should be putting out the best team we can muster .

If anybody genuinely needs resting, by all means give them the game off.

However, this game is vital for our finals chances.

Outs
Gowers, Porter

Ins
McLean, Lew Young

Scraggers
24-07-2020, 02:20 PM

I agree with this; I love that we are blooding the youth (except Gowers), but for our next three games, we need to play with more experienced heads. We can't carry under-performers into the next three. But my issue is, based on previous experience, the match committee are not going to make wholesale changes after two good wins. So we will be carrying two/three and possibly even all four (based on other injuries) into our match against Richmond. We need Dunkley to recover quickly.

Sedat
24-07-2020, 02:36 PM
I suspect Libba will get a rest this week - Richmond is as good an opponent as any to do so, as they are a poor clearance team and could also hurt Libba on the spread.

Horses for courses, we need more leg speed this week.

Axe Man
24-07-2020, 02:54 PM
These tweets from a WB communications staffer provide some insight into the scratchy yesterday:

I know COVID has decimated the staffing levels at the club, but surely we can do better.

Thanks, but as you say surely we can do better than that.

Other clubs are in exactly the same situation as us up in Queensland with reduced staff but manage to get something out to supporters.

hujsh
24-07-2020, 03:36 PM

Wait... we kicked 4.15???

So much for having forwards in the reserves I guess.

Axe Man
24-07-2020, 04:13 PM
Wait... we kicked 4.15???

So much for having forwards in the reserves I guess.

Sounds like Fergus was one of the offenders.

Mitcha
25-07-2020, 11:20 AM

On the money.

The Doctor
25-07-2020, 11:57 AM
Lloyd for Weightman

McLean for Porter

I'm keeping Billy in and go against the grain. Give him another go and a chance to redeem. It could just be the making of the man to have some confidence shown in him by the MC & the coach despite his howler. C'mon Billy, you can do it!

I'd like to bring Schache in but not sure if he has earnt his recall as yet. I did like the Bruce/Schache set up v Kangas. I'd like to see that again (conditions permitting)

Bulldog4life
25-07-2020, 01:40 PM
Lloyd for Weightman

McLean for Porter

I'm keeping Billy in and go against the grain. Give him another go and a chance to redeem. It could just be the making of the man to have some confidence shown in him by the MC & the coach despite his howler. C'mon Billy, you can do it!

I'd like to bring Schache in but not sure if he has earnt his recall as yet. I did like the Bruce/Schache set up v Kangas. I'd like to see that again (conditions permitting)

Yep. After what Keathy said Billy is playing against Richmond.

bornadog
25-07-2020, 01:45 PM
Yep. After what Keathy said Billy is playing against Richmond.

Lloyd for Weightman

McLean for Porter

I think Porter may get another run. Mclean may come in for Libba

GVGjr
25-07-2020, 02:25 PM
I think Porter may get another run. Mclean may come in for Libba

We have tended not to drop players after one performance so while I think Porter should be dropped we probably won't

bornadog
25-07-2020, 02:43 PM
We have tended not to drop players after one performance so while I think Porter should be dropped we probably won't

That is what I was thinking

Axe Man
25-07-2020, 02:47 PM

Butler the exception

jazzadogs
25-07-2020, 03:06 PM

Interested why you think Porter should be dropped? I thought that he worked his way into the game well as he adjusted to the speed and pressure of it. 9 touches is a poor return, but he was off the ground for most of the second quarter with his shoulder stinger and only played 56% TOG overall. I am keen to see what he does with a 2-3 week stint, because if he does not improve and list sizes reduce, he is in unlikely to get a new contract. He showed enough to deserve that chance.

GVGjr
25-07-2020, 04:05 PM
Butler the exception

Yep, his omission might have been an overreaction to the 52 point loss

Bulldog Joe
25-07-2020, 04:31 PM

I think his omission might have also been about who had to come in (Crozier)

merantau
25-07-2020, 05:17 PM
Trengove, McLean - in
Lachie Young, Porter - out

Jeanette54
25-07-2020, 05:17 PM
I generally don't comment until I have watched the match a second time. In the second half, and particularly the last quarter when the game was there to be won or lost, Porter's attack on the footy, and hard in and under work ethic was great. A bit Libba like. He deserves another game this week, if only for that.

Also poor old Billy G, was hard at the ball on a number of occasions, and that the last quarter brain fade was more about not using up time; rather than the miskick. His intended target looked a reasonable option.

bornadog
25-07-2020, 05:45 PM
Butler the exception

I think his omission might have also been about who had to come in (Crozier)

When Wood was out, Butler replaced him and then when Wood came in Butler was dropped. Same with Crozier, Butler was his replacement and then dropped when Crozier was back.

Rocco Jones
25-07-2020, 05:59 PM
On the ins...
- Seems like JT/Young doing okay. JT did well on Lynch last year and it would be good to free up Zaine to go forward, just to straighten up a bit there
- McLean seems a clear in, as 'clear' as it gets with Bevo anyway
- Dickson perhaps an option if wanting a senior head. West maybe a fresher option. Butler there too but feel he isn't ready.

Outs
- Gowers as 'clear' an omission as it gets
- Weightman showed a bit, time to sit one out though
- I think it would be smart to manage Suckers. Won't be able to play every game but as a vet, might be handy during this cluster of games
- Maybe rest Libba week after on shorter break and trip interstate. All about how his knee is.
- Think teams might rotate the last handful of spots just to freshen the team up as much as possible. I actually liked Porter's toughness and Young can cover ground which might be enough during this crazy period. Clearly though, they don't bring heaps to the side yet and if we can freshen it up, cool.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-07-2020, 06:00 PM
Interested why you think Porter should be dropped? I thought that he worked his way into the game well as he adjusted to the speed and pressure of it. 9 touches is a poor return, but he was off the ground for most of the second quarter with his shoulder stinger and only played 56% TOG overall. I am keen to see what he does with a 2-3 week stint, because if he does not improve and list sizes reduce, he is in unlikely to get a new contract. He showed enough to deserve that chance.

I agree jazzadogs. He was really quiet early but into the 2nd half I thought Porter got more involved. Now 9 disposals for a mid is well below expectation but given it was his first game I’m prepared to cut him some slack.

ratsmac
25-07-2020, 08:19 PM
I see the Richmond game our best chance of winning out of the next 3. Its neutral territory and they have a few out so with that being said I would play our best available 22. Port and Brisbane both on their home turf is a tough ask.

Out- Gowers, Lach Young, Weightman.

In, West/Lloyd, McLean, Trengove/Lew Young

If Hunter is available Hunter in for Suckling

mjp
26-07-2020, 02:34 PM
I see the Richmond game our best chance of winning out of the next 3. Its neutral territory and they have a few out so with that being said I would play our best available 22. Port and Brisbane both on their home turf is a tough ask.

I 100% expect us to beat Port and - after the loss at the Gabba late last year - Brisbane.

comrade
26-07-2020, 02:41 PM
I 100% expect us to beat Port and - after the loss at the Gabba late last year - Brisbane.

Even without Naughton, Hunter and Dunkley?

mjp
26-07-2020, 03:47 PM
Even without Naughton, Hunter and Dunkley?

Yep.

Even without...it isn't like other teams don't have injuries, we haven't had Naughton or Dunks for weeks and haven't really had Hunter all year.

I'm pretty sure we wont be pointing at injuries as an excuse in any case.

comrade
26-07-2020, 04:34 PM
Yep.

Even without...it isn't like other teams don't have injuries, we haven't had Naughton or Dunks for weeks and haven't really had Hunter all year.

I'm pretty sure we wont be pointing at injuries as an excuse in any case.

I guess I should have been more obvious...

Even with Gowers, Young & Porter in the side?

soupman
27-07-2020, 01:46 AM
I think Young will stay in. Clearly we are trying to pump games into him and the added benefit is that he has a big engine. Someone who is naturally fit like he is will be super handy to carry through these rounds, especially in the absence of Hunter.

Mantis
27-07-2020, 09:29 AM
I think Young will stay in. Clearly we are trying to pump games into him and the added benefit is that he has a big engine. Someone who is naturally fit like he is will be super handy to carry through these rounds, especially in the absence of Hunter.

He does have a big engine, but it's no use if you can run if you can't get the ball, and then use it well. He looks lost in the positions where we are asking him to play.

GVGjr
27-07-2020, 10:03 AM
He does have a big engine, but it's no use if you can run if you can't get the ball, and then use it well. He looks lost in the positions where we are asking him to play.

We probably need to place him as a key forward but I'm not sure we will use him that way

Mofra
27-07-2020, 10:34 AM
Since round 4 Port have been struggling in contested possessions and clearances. We should be able to exploit our strength in the contest.

Jam Donuts
27-07-2020, 12:00 PM
Why is having a big tank justification, to maintain a position in this team, to be brutally honest and not really wanting to unduly criticise the young man, he was as useful as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest, the amount of times he used his tank to run under the ball or get in the way of one of his own team mates was staggering, he is not ready for the big time, I sincerely hopes he makes it but he really needs a lot more time in the magoos, which in this year is very difficult on him and others. Please prove me wrong Mr Young if you are given another crack this week.

The Pie Man
27-07-2020, 12:06 PM
We probably need to place him as a key forward but I'm not sure we will use him that way

Do you think he has potential as a forward in dry conditions? Roaming half forward, won't stop running, decent hands in the dry?

GVGjr
27-07-2020, 01:18 PM
Do you think he has potential as a forward in dry conditions? Roaming half forward, won't stop running, decent hands in the dry?

I can recall see him in a practice game last season and he looked OK up forward. Perhaps worth a try

ratsmac
27-07-2020, 01:32 PM

I don't but I'm a generational pessimist from way back!

I just think we aren't quite playing well enough consistently which is why my thoughts go that way. The fight we showed against Gold Coast was promising but that fact we lost the territory battle for large periods was concerning. We won a close one so it should build character and confidence.

mjp
27-07-2020, 02:43 PM
I guess I should have been more obvious...

Even with Gowers, Young & Porter in the side?

They are players 20, 21 and 22. So yes, even with them.

As an aside, Young had two CRITICAL involvements in the last q. Gave the handball over into space that led to our first goal and kicked the 2nd one. Porter gave a few kicks away but got after it and at least held it in...

I really don't see the issue with any of those players.

bornadog
27-07-2020, 03:25 PM
Changes:

In: Lloyd, Hunter

Out: Gowers, Richards

Wouldn't be surprised if Libba is rested - therefore Mclean comes in.

Grantysghost
27-07-2020, 05:16 PM
In : Lloyd, Mclean
Out : Suckling, Porter

I liked Porter's endeavour I think he should certainly be rotated back in later in the season, but felt he was off the pace and needs more work. Suckling just didn't do enough, but will be toss up between he and Gowers.

Ozza
27-07-2020, 06:05 PM
Subject to injuries etc;

In: Lloyd, McLean, West
Out: Weightman, Porter, Gowers

No problem with Porter's effort level, or Weightman's start to his career.

But Lloyd is a more seasoned campaigner and proven forward, and Westy...welll he should just be playing - so they take Flea and Gowers spots.

Mclean is more capable than Porter in the midfield rotations and can play forward, and has more speed than Porter, which will be important.

Its Richmond. Regardless of who they've got out - they bring the heat - so overall my three for three changes consider who is going to handle the pressure best.

comrade
27-07-2020, 06:14 PM

As an aside, Young had two CRITICAL involvements in the last q. Gave the handball over into space that led to our first goal and kicked the 2nd one. Porter gave a few kicks away but got after it and at least held it in...

But it means Richards, Weightman, Vandermeer have to push up into players 17, 18, 19 when they should be our bottom 3.

Which in turn means Lipinski, Suckling etc are leaned on more heavily.

Fingers crossed Hunter gets back soon, and we decide to pick Lloyd & McLean to take the load off kids who aren't quite ready (or in Gowers case, not quite up to the level).

GVGjr
27-07-2020, 06:19 PM
Do we need to consider an extra tall defender given Lynch and Riewoldt can be a handful?
I'm looking forward to seeing how Keath performs against Lynch as Lynch was thrashed last week

Happy Days
27-07-2020, 06:36 PM
Do we need to consider an extra tall defender given Lynch and Riewoldt can be a handful?
I'm looking forward to seeing how Keath performs against Lynch as Lynch was thrashed last week

Neither of them are in great touch, and I’d be confident in Keath and Cordy to handle them. We could bring in Trengove but we won’t, so probably not worth talking about.

bornadog
27-07-2020, 06:37 PM

I think Cordy can pickup Riewoldt

Axe Man
27-07-2020, 07:13 PM
Porter a confirmed out with a shoulder. Dale, Dickson & Schache all unavailable, forward stocks thin.

azabob
27-07-2020, 07:15 PM
Porter a confirmed out with a shoulder. Dale, Dickson & Schache all unavailable, forward stocks thin.

Wow, I would say thanks for the update...

jazzadogs
27-07-2020, 07:17 PM

Well Mclean in for Porter seems like a given then - straight into the midfield rotations, giving him his best chance to play good footy and impact the game.

Lloyd and West remain as potential ins to the forward line.

I would not be changing our backline unless forced.

josie
27-07-2020, 07:23 PM
Out Porter (inj) In Maclean

Out Gowers In Lloyd

If Hunter ready then La Young gets a rest

kruder
27-07-2020, 07:45 PM
Timmy looked tired last week, I think we can give him more forward minutes( looked a tall short last week) while giving Sweet some experience.

In Sweet, Mclean, Lloyd

Out Gowers, Porter, Weightman

bornadog
27-07-2020, 07:49 PM
Timmy looked tired last week, I think we can give him more forward minutes( looked a tall short last week) while giving Sweet some experience.

In Sweet, Mclean, Lloyd

i like those ins and outs

mjp
27-07-2020, 08:40 PM
But it means Richards, Weightman, Vandermeer have to push up into players 17, 18, 19 when they should be our bottom 3.

Which in turn means Lipinski, Suckling etc are leaned on more heavily.

Fingers crossed Hunter gets back soon, and we decide to pick Lloyd & McLean to take the load off kids who aren't quite ready (or in Gowers case, not quite up to the level).

Richards and Vander are great. No issues with them from me...Weightman is clearly not ready yet and was really poor vs GC but we aren't allowed to say that out loud - and in any case, it was just his second game. I prefer West to Weightman at this stage of their development.

AutoFill
27-07-2020, 11:40 PM

In Sweet, Mclean, Lloyd

That’s a yes from me.

Bulldog Joe
27-07-2020, 11:51 PM

In Sweet, Mclean, Lloyd

I don't see this as the week for Sweet, unless Timmy needs to miss.

Richmond are a speed team, we can't counter that by making us slower.

Bulldog4life
28-07-2020, 08:22 AM

Watching the replay I thought Young went ok.

comrade
28-07-2020, 08:46 AM
Watching the replay I thought Young went ok.

He was ok, but will he give us more than McLean, Lloyd, West etc.

Mantis
28-07-2020, 08:48 AM
Richards and Vander are great. No issues with them from me...Weightman is clearly not ready yet and was really poor vs GC but we aren't allowed to say that out loud - and in any case, it was just his second game. I prefer West to Weightman at this stage of their development.

What makes Richards great?

To me I see a player who fumbles regularly, kicks with little depth, doesn't get much of the ball and plays a bit too much outside... sure he's got some nice attributes in regard to size & shape, but what am I missing?

However I'm liking what Vander brings to the team, certainly plays with an 'edge' and hopefully he's finishing improves as it's the only thing that's holding him back from being a really valuable contributor.

Mofra
28-07-2020, 09:17 AM
We don't want to rob ourselves of run from the back half.
We'll just back our guys in, noting Wood and Crozier should be able to provide some intercept marking and English has been playing as a 7th defender when the ball is in play.

English is a big key here - he should be able to run off Soldo and have an influence around the ground.
Astbury is out too which is big, we need to bring in a second tall to make Grimes accountable (hopefully Bruce can get off Balta a couple of times). This would be the perfect game for our third marking option to have an impact, but with Naughton/Schache/Dale not available it may be difficult to pull off.

With Porter out I'm guessing McLean earns his chance.

Bulldog4life
28-07-2020, 10:23 AM
He was ok, but will he give us more than McLean, Lloyd, West etc.

He's taller :)

Remi Moses
28-07-2020, 10:27 AM
In Lloyd, McLean
Out Gowers , Porter

You can put your house on this not being the changes ;)

Happy Days
28-07-2020, 10:58 AM

To me I see a player who fumbles regularly, kicks with little depth, doesn't get much of the ball and plays a bit too much outside... sure he's got some nice attributes in regard to size & shape, but what am I missing?

Sometimes in some positions nice attributes can be enough. He's clearly demonstrated he has something to work with, and its not like he's keeping some killers out of the team. The plus to his potential development we get by playing him is well worth his spot in the side, and it isn't like he's contributing absolutely nothing.

Axe Man
28-07-2020, 12:59 PM
Out-of-favour flag hero in mix to return for Dogs (https://www.afl.com.au/news/477006/out-of-favour-flag-hero-in-mix-to-return-for-dogs)

WESTERN Bulldogs duo Sam Lloyd and Toby McLean are in the mix to return for Wednesday night's clash against Richmond.

The Dogs will need to make at least one change with midfielder Callum Porter picking up an AC joint injury in his debut last week.

McLean starred in a scratch match against the Suns last Thursday, but was withdrawn during the game to ensure he would be fine if needed to be called up as an emergency.

After breaking into the side against GWS in round three, the 2016 premiership hero was dropped after the round six loss to Carlton.

Lloyd has missed four games since injuring his collar bone, but booted two goals in the scratch match last week.

"He's (Lloyd) played two scratch matches over the last couple of weeks and he definitely has thrown his name up for selection," Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said.

Fellow forward Bailey Dale had been "slightly down" in form recently, with a lingering ankle injury forcing him out of the side last Thursday.

"He (Dale) carried an ankle injury for a few weeks, he was putting on a brave face which is always a little bit dangerous and making out he was going to be OK," Beveridge said.

"He should be available for selection next week – next game and if not the game after."

The Dogs hope to have Lachie Hunter returning soon after he took an indefinite break due to personal reasons.

After being suspended for four matches for a drink driving incident earlier in the year, Hunter played two games before he was ruled out on the eve of last week's clash against Gold Coast.

"We anticipate Lachie Hunter will be available for selection again in a couple of games," Beveridge said.

"Lachie has had some challenges this year and we just felt it best in discussions with him that he comes out and follows a program and comes in fresh again.

"He's had a few things to deal with and I had a conversation with him yesterday and he's getting on top of those things.

"He's still physically in pretty good order."

The Dogs are getting closer to a full strength side with Aaron Naughton and Josh Dunkley on track to return from ankle syndesmosis injuries within the next few weeks, but Beveridge isn't certain he'll find out whether his team is the real deal over the fixture frenzy.

"Even the teams in the eight at the moment haven't necessarily played maybe the better teams, you don't know who they are yet," Beveridge said.

"West Coast are starting to emerge, some of the teams who were fancied early have had some injuries.

"I don't think you're certain until you get towards the round 16-17 mark."

Mofra
28-07-2020, 01:20 PM
I'd bring both in - Mclean can play hybrid mid/forward minutes, while Lloyd can play more of a leading role.

I assume Young keeps his spot and plays a defensive forward role, with instruction to keep as far away from Josh Bruce as possible. Give him a tape of Zaine Cordy in the elimination final against West Coast as an example of a young defender doing a job in the forward half.

Rocket Science
28-07-2020, 01:50 PM
Lots of public carrot and stick with McLean this time around.

Hope he returns with an appetite.

Jeanette54
28-07-2020, 01:55 PM

One thing I love about Ed Richards is that he is very seldom beaten one on one. A bit like Bailey Smith. When I see either player about to be involved in a one on one contest, I think, "Its ok, we got this".

Ozza
28-07-2020, 03:01 PM
I've definitely been frustrated with Richards and how he has found very little footy and had some crucial fumbles. He's definitely been given significantly more leeway than some others.

Having said that, he's really very good in a ground ball contest and can have so much impact with jis dynamic play when he does get involved, so I can kind of understand the extra leeway.

I was impressed that after an ordinary first 3 quarters last week - he turned this around in the last.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-07-2020, 03:11 PM
Cotchin and Stack to come back for the Tigers

Happy Days
28-07-2020, 03:29 PM
Cotchin and Stack to come back for the Tigers

The guy that single-handedly tried to cancel the season so no one would realise he's bad and the guy they haven't been picking because he's worse?

Not massively concerned.

Sedat
28-07-2020, 05:58 PM
The guy that single-handedly tried to cancel the season so no one would realise he's bad and the guy they haven't been picking because he's worse?

Not massively concerned.
Yep. Sydney is going about as well as Brennan at the moment. We aren't going to win or lose off the back of these selections.

comrade
28-07-2020, 06:02 PM
Yep. Sydney is going about as well as Brennan at the moment. We aren't going to win or lose off the back of these selections.

Hope he goes head to head with Caleb and the little maestro racks them up all night.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-07-2020, 07:27 PM
So Lloyd, Mclean in
Porter, Young out

Axe Man
28-07-2020, 07:28 PM
A predictable team selection - what is going on???

ROUND 9 TEAM

Western Bulldogs v Richmond
Wednesday 29 July, 7.10pm AEST
Metricon Stadium, Gold Coast

B: Easton Wood, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
HB: Bailey Williams, Zaine Cordy, Hayden Crozier
C: Jason Johannisen, Jack Macrae, Pat Lipinski
HF: Toby McLean, Marcus Bontempelli, Laitham Vandermeer
F: Mitch Wallis, Josh Bruce, Sam Lloyd
Foll: Tim English, Tom Liberatore, Bailey Smith
Int: Matt Suckling, Cody Weightman, Ed Richards, Billy Gowers
Emer: Jackson Trengove, Roarke Smith, Lachie Young, Jordon Sweet

IN: Toby McLean, Sam Lloyd
OUT: Callum Porter (shoulder), Lachie Young

Axe Man
28-07-2020, 07:29 PM
RICHMOND
In: S.Stack, T.Cotchin, O.Markov, J.Ross
Out: P.Naish (Omitted), D.Rioli (Omitted), J.Graham (Omitted), N.Vlastuin (calf)

Vlastuin a loss for them.

azabob
28-07-2020, 07:30 PM
RICHMOND
In: S.Stack, T.Cotchin, O.Markov, J.Ross
Out: P.Naish (Omitted), D.Rioli (Omitted), J.Graham (Omitted), N.Vlastuin (calf)

Huge opportunity with Vlastuin out.

Happy Days
28-07-2020, 07:32 PM
I get that if we dropped Gowers it probably would have done in his confidence forever, but please let this be his last chance.

comrade
28-07-2020, 07:35 PM
Never change Bevo.

jeemak
28-07-2020, 07:44 PM
Both Trengove and Sweet on the bench...…….late change in the wings?

The Underdog
28-07-2020, 07:44 PM
Never change Bevo.

If he was properly trolling, Roarke Smith would have been an in.

josie
28-07-2020, 08:31 PM
Sheesh-kicks clutch goal, just start to find yourself adjusting to pace of game and dropped. Thought La Young showed a few good things.

So glad Toby is in.

Good Lloyd has another go-x fingers he kicks straight.

Come on Billy - kick a bag son!!!

Reckon Tim might be a late out with Sweet and Trengove on bench. Love to see Trengove get a call up. Versatile big man-gives his all.

G-Mo77
28-07-2020, 08:42 PM
Geez Young isn't setting the world on fire but still think he's pretty stiff to miss this week.

Gowers is extremely lucky, don't like him in there but it is what it is. I would have had one of Lloyd or Gowers in and not both as they're playing the same position.

Great to see McLean back in.

bornadog
28-07-2020, 08:44 PM
Geez Young isn't setting the world on fire but still think he's pretty stiff to miss this week.

Gowers is extremely lucky, don't like him in there but it is what it is. I would have had one of Lloyd or Gowers in and not both as they're playing the same position.

Great to see McLean back in.

Would have been a good week to drop Gowers and bring Sweet or Trengove in, and Timmy play a large %, forward to really stretch Richmond.

Grantysghost
28-07-2020, 09:12 PM
Suckers lucky.
Billy was always a lock :cool:

comrade
28-07-2020, 09:16 PM
Got a feeling Gowers' brain fade actually lead to him getting picked again this week. Ironic.

comrade
28-07-2020, 09:17 PM
Suckers lucky.
Billy was always a lock :cool:

Suckers has to play up the field. Terrible inside 50.

chef
28-07-2020, 10:03 PM
https://scontent.fmel8-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/115536684_1650013148497191_2877067253671647987_n.jpg?_nc_cat =105&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=e3EjTOPCMYMAX-2G1fV&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel8-1.fna&oh=ab135aecb9250acfeb58fddbaae95de4&oe=5F4567A7

Bullies
29-07-2020, 08:36 AM
Thought Bevo may have put Gardner down back seeing it is going so well down there.

Bullies
29-07-2020, 08:43 AM
I get that if we dropped Gowers it probably would have done in his confidence forever, but please let this be his last chance. What would he play like then if he lost confidence? that would be a must see. WOOF would be in melt down.

westbulldog
29-07-2020, 09:22 AM
Does the match committee EVER intend to give Trengove, Sweet or Lewis Young ANY opportunity ? Their apparent disdain for these players is bewildering.

GVGjr
29-07-2020, 09:41 AM
Does the match committee EVER intend to give Trengove, Sweet or Lewis Young ANY opportunity ? Their apparent disdain for these players is bewildering.

Their chances will come. If we keep winning the MC is essentially making the right calls although we can still debate the merits on if they can be improved.

Really interested to see our match-ups against the Tigers

AshMac
29-07-2020, 09:50 AM
I thought Trengove did an awesome job on Lynch last year so thought if any game it’d be this game he came in for. Alex Keath has changed the role Trengove can play IMO devaluing him to a ruck only - in which place he seems to sit 3rd with his ability to cover the ground.

I’m like others here in thinking Young is stiff but there is surely some list management tactics which need to be employed over the next 20 days for us to play 4 matches so I assume they are lining up A, B and C lists which is the only explanation I can see for suckling and Gowers playing againx

Mofra
29-07-2020, 10:06 AM
One player interview mentioned how Gowers works really hard to constantly present, that must have saved him. Schache would have been in otherwise (if not for concussion) as we know Schache covers serious ground.

comrade
29-07-2020, 10:07 AM
I’m like others here in thinking Young is stiff but there is surely some list management tactics which need to be employed over the next 20 days for us to play 4 matches so I assume they are lining up A, B and C lists which is the only explanation I can see for suckling and Gowers playing againx

I think we're missing a trick by not playing Young in some capacity, particularly up forward with Naughton injured and Schache a pariah. We trained him forward all pre-season, played him there in the pre-season games and then...nothing. Now it sounds like he's back in defence in the scratchies.

Playing him forward provides 2 benefits. Takes the load of Bruce and it allows us to give English a chop out or push him deeper forward to stretch the defence while Young has a brief run on ball (similar to how Oscar Allen and Natanui work in tandem).

Axe Man
29-07-2020, 10:10 AM
I would have had one of Lloyd or Gowers in and not both as they're playing the same position.

One player interview mentioned how Gowers works really hard to constantly present, that must have saved him. Schache would have been in otherwise (if not for concussion) as we know Schache covers serious ground.

I think Mofra is right - Gowers is playing as an undersized second tall, a slightly different role to Lloyd.

Grantysghost
29-07-2020, 10:41 AM
I think we're missing a trick by not playing Young in some capacity, particularly up forward with Naughton injured and Schache a pariah. We trained him forward all pre-season, played him there in the pre-season games and then...nothing. Now it sounds like he's back in defence in the scratchies.

Playing him forward provides 2 benefits. Takes the load of Bruce and it allows us to give English a chop out or push him deeper forward to stretch the defence while Young has a brief run on ball (similar to how Oscar Allen and Natanui work in tandem).

Is he on Bevo's sh1t list? I really hope it doesn't exist.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-07-2020, 11:33 AM

If I were Young, I'd be requesting a trade at the end of the year if there was sufficient interest elsewhere.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-07-2020, 11:38 AM
If I were Young, I'd be requesting a trade at the end of the year if there was sufficient interest elsewhere.

He's an SA boy so there is a likelihood the Crows make a play for him. Unfortunately because we haven't played him, we're unlikely to receive any compensation. What's his contract status?

Grantysghost
29-07-2020, 11:55 AM
He's an SA boy so there is a likelihood the Crows make a play for him. Unfortunately because we haven't played him, we're unlikely to receive any compensation. What's his contract status?

From what I can find signed for 2 extra in 2019, meaning he's out at end of 2021.

Axe Man
29-07-2020, 11:57 AM

From what I can find signed for 2 extra in 2019, meaning he's out at end of 2021.

That's it, I quit!

DOG GOD
29-07-2020, 12:04 PM

That would not surprise me one bit, and I certainly couldn’t blame him. He’s been shoved pillar to post from fwd to back, fwd to back. Poor guy doesn’t know where he is, and he’s certainly had some sort of fallout with the MC. When Gardner/Gowers gets picked ahead of you, you know you’re headed for the scrap heap. It’s very unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Rocket Science
29-07-2020, 12:14 PM

This really burns my onions.

The selection fun and games with Gowers, Gardner and the parade of unripe debutants pales next to what we're presumably doing - or not - with Lewis Young, unless pissing away blue chip assets while faffing around with junk stocks qualifies as a plan for player development or winning more games of football.

Young played 7 games in his splashy first year (2017). He's been jerked around for another 8 games in total since, despite his marking ability ranking smartly alongside our best pairs of hands in in Keath, Bruce and Naughton.

Tall, instinctive, highly athletic players who can slot in at both ends and if you insist, handle some ruck slack. Nah, we couldn't possibly use that skill-set.

comrade
29-07-2020, 12:29 PM

The selection fun and games with Gowers, Gardner and the parade of unripe debutants pales next to what we're presumably doing - or not - with Lewis Young, unless pissing away blue chip assets while faffing around with junk stocks qualifies as a plan for player development or winning more games of football.

Young played 7 games in his splashy first year (2017). He's been jerked around for another 8 games in total since, despite his marking ability ranking smartly alongside our best pairs of hands in in Keath, Bruce and Naughton.

Tall, instinctive, highly athletic players who can slot in at both ends and if you insist, handle some ruck slack. Nah, we couldn't possibly use that skill-set.

I don't mean to be facetious, but we can only assume he doesn't train as well as Gowers or Gardner.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-07-2020, 12:31 PM

And that's the kicker. Bevo LOVES these versatile players. It's intriguing.

Ozza
29-07-2020, 12:49 PM
I don't mean to be facetious, but we can only assume he doesn't train as well as Gowers or Gardner.

Scratch match form very poor inthe earlier weeks - not sure about the last few.

Grantysghost
29-07-2020, 12:50 PM

And apparently came back overweight from the covid break. Maybe he hasn't worked his way back into the good books? I can't see the logic really but Bevo does love his meritocracy.

comrade
29-07-2020, 01:00 PM
And apparently came back overweight from the covid break. Maybe he hasn't worked his way back into the good books? I can't see the logic really but Bevo does love his meritocracy.

He wasn't on his Pat Malone there.

Mofra
29-07-2020, 01:20 PM
In the long run, rewarding guys whoi haven;t trained as hard as others would be counter-productive.

We just don't know, we don't have keen track watchers like years ago, let alone onder the hub model.

Happy Days
29-07-2020, 01:20 PM
I'm really surprised we haven't seen Lew Young this season as well, especially after Schache got taken out of the team. His exposed form as a forward would suggest he would be a better aerial threat than Gowers and La Young if nothing else, and I don't think we would lose much on the ground.

hujsh
29-07-2020, 01:45 PM

Think he got a decent write up against the Suns

azabob
29-07-2020, 02:00 PM
That's it, I quit!

Did you storm out and slam the door?

Rocket Science
29-07-2020, 02:06 PM
In the long run, rewarding guys whoi haven;t trained as hard as others would be counter-productive.

We just don't know, we don't have keen track watchers like years ago, let alone onder the hub model.

Training form's ace. By all means incentivise effort, but who's more likely to be driving team success in 1, 3, 5 years? The usual fringe whipping boys or someone potentially integral like Young? He must be a shocking trainer.

What pray tell have we done with the rangy play-reader slashing across defensive 50 with audacious intercept marking as a rookie three years ago? You could pardon him for feeling a little lost. That he can't get a game with our current injury list ahead of certain other warm bodies damns us as much as, presumably, him.

It's like a masterclass into how to squander rare talent and you'd assume, eventually drive them away.

Grantysghost
29-07-2020, 02:09 PM

Agree with this there has to be reward for effort. Just hope stubbornness doesn't cost us a good player and there's some discretion/balance in the process. Wasn't a few months ago his form was the start of the end for Jackson.

Mofra
29-07-2020, 02:32 PM
He's a 21 year old KPP. Time is on his side.

DOG GOD
29-07-2020, 02:41 PM
He's a 21 year old KPP. Time is on his side.
As long as he remains at the club

Axe Man
29-07-2020, 02:43 PM
Did you storm out and slam the door?

If I wasn't at work I would have! :D

AshMac
29-07-2020, 02:59 PM

I couldn’t agree more. He has proven his work rate over the last 2 weeks and stood up at an important time last week. We need maintain that confidence and reward that type of effort.

I’m not on the inside, I don’t get access to the narrative that gets managed inside - but from the outside it looks like the kids having a real crack and making small but progressive steps are suffering list spots for players who have had chances and under deliver.

bornadog
29-07-2020, 03:03 PM
I couldn’t agree more. He has proven his work rate over the last 2 weeks and stood up at an important time last week. We need maintain that confidence and reward that type of effort.

I’m not on the inside, I don’t get access to the narrative that gets managed inside - but from the outside it looks like the kids having a real crack and making small but progressive steps are suffering list spots for players who have had chances and under deliver.

I am getting mixed up, you are talking La Young and I agree, but was Comrade talking Le young?

comrade
29-07-2020, 03:14 PM
I am getting mixed up, you are talking La Young and I agree, but was Comrade talking Le young?

Yeah, I'm talking Lewis Young. But Lachie Young was dealt with harshly this week, also.

#FreeTheYoungs

jeemak
29-07-2020, 03:43 PM

Who cares for such minor details Ozza!

We should just play him, reward his lack of fitness, form or whatever contributed to his poor performances!

jeemak
29-07-2020, 03:45 PM
Training form's ace. By all means incentivise effort, but who's more likely to be driving team success in 1, 3, 5 years? The usual fringe whipping boys or someone potentially integral like Young? He must be a shocking trainer.

What pray tell have we done with the rangy play-reader slashing across defensive 50 with audacious intercept marking as a rookie three years ago? You could pardon him for feeling a little lost. That he can't get a game with our current injury list ahead of certain other warm bodies damns us as much as, presumably, him.

It's like a masterclass into how to squander rare talent and you'd assume, eventually drive them away.

What if he just doesn't work hard enough and doesn't listen to instructions? Play him anyway?

comrade
29-07-2020, 03:57 PM
What if he just doesn't work hard enough and doesn't listen to instructions? Play him anyway?

Nah, I'd much prefer we keep picking blokes that either a) can't master basic skills like marking the ball (Gardner) or b) make ridiculous mistakes at crucial times again and again (Gowers).

And I know you're playing devil's advocate, but if the attitude is so bad, why has Young ever been picked? Or has he suddnely just turned into a bad egg?

Happy Days
29-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Who cares for such minor details Ozza!

We should just play him, reward his lack of fitness, form or whatever contributed to his poor performances!

Aren't we doing that now?

jeemak
29-07-2020, 04:47 PM
Aren't we doing that now?

Well no, we're not.

I suspect Gowers may be dropped if he plays like he did last week, we've dropped Schache and we've not played Gardner again. Unless you're referring to others?

Having watched the replay a couple of times Gowers' effort was pretty good and he tried to get involved as much as any other forward. Yep, he had a howler at the end of the game but that wasn't effort related and not something you get dropped for these days. It takes a while to get up to the level, especially when you're not able to play games for points in the VFL.

Happy Days
29-07-2020, 05:01 PM
Well no, we're not.

I suspect Gowers may be dropped if he plays like he did last week, we've dropped Schache and we've not played Gardner again. Unless you're referring to others?

Having watched the replay a couple of times Gowers' effort was pretty good and he tried to get involved as much as any other forward. Yep, he had a howler at the end of the game but that wasn't effort related and not something you get dropped for these days. It takes a while to get up to the level, especially when you're not able to play games for points in the VFL.

The infuriating thing about the lack of seconds footy is that we have to wholly speculate on why players are being picked, and it's becoming a little self-fulfilling to say that a player is getting picked because they must be training well and another isn't because he isn't.

What there is a way to know is how a player is performing on match day, and I would dispute that Gowers, between running in for a contested mark with his head down, his shot at goal going out on the full, his bonehead turnover and his literal nothing else is performing up to a selection level. That's why without more his re-selection is so frustrating. Call it a pile on but it could be anyone.

Of course, this could all be alleviated if they would just stream the damn scratch matches.

comrade
29-07-2020, 05:03 PM
Of course, this could all be alleviated if they would just stream the damn scratch matches.

Be careful what you wish for. We might all start screaming for Gardner to play if we get scratch match vision.

bornadog
29-07-2020, 05:36 PM
Be careful what you wish for. We might all start screaming for Gardner to play if we get scratch match vision.

haha, not in a million years :D

jeemak
29-07-2020, 05:42 PM
Nah, I'd much prefer we keep picking blokes that either a) can't master basic skills like marking the ball (Gardner) or b) make ridiculous mistakes at crucial times again and again (Gowers).

And I know you're playing devil's advocate, but if the attitude is so bad, why has Young ever been picked? Or has he suddnely just turned into a bad egg?

I honestly don't know, but I don't think the coach/ MC has it in for him given they picked him to play in last year's final when many probably thought Trengove was the better choice.

comrade
29-07-2020, 05:48 PM
I honestly don't know, but I don't think the coach/ MC has it in for him given they picked him to play in last year's final when many probably thought Trengove was the better choice.

I guess that's the point though, our selection process is bonkers.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-07-2020, 06:50 PM
I guess that's the point though, our selection process is bonkers.

Its bonkers because we aren't anywhere close to being privy to what is going on internally.
To think they are just flinging darts at a board, or deliberately excluding players is what doesn't make sense.
We have zero insight into why players get picked or not.
Yep i get confused as the next person about certain selections. But then i rationalise; these guys want to win football matches, they are making decisions based on the data in front of them, that we're not able to see.
If Lewy Young isn't getting a game, ahead of Gardner or whoever...that probably speaks volumes for where's he's at, or isn't. This gets more weight based on the fact we picked him in our most recent final. He clearly hascattributes we like, if we're selecting him for a final.
Therefore he must be significantly off the pace right now.

whythelongface
29-07-2020, 07:09 PM
Is there a possible late change with Trengove coming in?

The Underdog
29-07-2020, 07:15 PM

Confirmed, Trengove in for Weightman.
Gonna need a few changes of underpants on the thread after that news.

whythelongface
29-07-2020, 07:18 PM

Surely most will be pleased. Haven’t we be waiting for this?

jazzadogs
29-07-2020, 07:18 PM

Great news! Hopefully Cody is okay.

Trengove to Lynch, Cordy to Riewoldt, Keath on Chol/floating around killing contests?

The Underdog
29-07-2020, 07:20 PM
Surely most will be pleased. Haven’t we be waiting for this?

I didn’t mean to suggest people would be disappointed. I assumed there’d be quite a few people who’d be very excited
Weightman being “managed”

GVGjr
29-07-2020, 07:21 PM

Nice pick up

Mantis
29-07-2020, 07:22 PM
Interesting change.

Wonder how we’ll use Jackson.. Did well on Lynch last year so maybe a role there or maybe a run in the ruck to allow Tim to play up forward?

The Adelaide Connection
29-07-2020, 07:26 PM
Interesting change.

Wonder how we’ll use Jackson.. Did well on Lynch last year so maybe a role there or maybe a run in the ruck to allow Tim to play up forward?

I think this could be as much about managing English as it is about helping us defensively.

GVGjr
29-07-2020, 07:28 PM

Like for like replacement? :)

dog town
29-07-2020, 07:32 PM
Interesting change.

Wonder how we’ll use Jackson.. Did well on Lynch last year so maybe a role there or maybe a run in the ruck to allow Tim to play up forward? In my view we are far too tall down back in that scenario unless we swing Cordy forward which is a chance but would have thought he is best suited to Riewoldt.

I like the idea of English being freed up and have always liked the follow up work from Trengove when in the ruck. Not sold on what Trengove does between stints in the ruck unless he just provides a target and allows Bruce a bit more freedom.

Remi Moses
29-07-2020, 07:34 PM
I reckon wood will get Riewoldt
Plays tall
Reckon it’s a bit two bob each way
Bit of a chop out for Timmy and play on Lynch

josie
29-07-2020, 07:36 PM
I'm excited.....Go Trengove !!

Agree with English to swing forward (or fill hole down back if Cordy & Keath struggle with Tiger talls).

Prince Imperial
29-07-2020, 07:42 PM
Probably our most experienced and oldest side since circa 2011, so we should be ready to roll.

whythelongface
29-07-2020, 07:53 PM
Nice pick up

It came from AFL360 :( I know I know some people do watch this trash.

Topdog
29-07-2020, 07:57 PM
Good decision

kruder
29-07-2020, 08:00 PM
Bevo is starting to get serious....

bornadog
29-07-2020, 08:02 PM
Trengove to ruck, English to stretch their backline

Ozza
29-07-2020, 11:28 PM
Trengove to ruck, English to stretch their backline

I thought it was disgraceful that we gave away a distinct advantage that English would have provided against Soldo, by playing him forward - where he was completely lost. The ONLY place we could have played Trengove, was at full back on a 200cm full forward.
It was staggering.

If English needs a rest - don't play him. There's no 'resting' anymore.

We obviously decided to 'rest' Bontempelli forward also.....at 3 quarter time he had covered more ground that 40 other players on the ground. This 'rest forward' is absolute rubbish in the modern game. It couldn't have been MORE important to win centre clearances tonight and we dicked around with our preferred line up.

bornadog
29-07-2020, 11:38 PM
I thought it was disgraceful that we gave away a distinct advantage that English would have provided against Soldo, by playing him forward - where he was completely lost. The ONLY place we could have played Trengove, was at full back on a 200cm full forward.
It was staggering.

We obviously decided to 'rest' Bontempelli forward also.....at 3 quarter time he had covered more ground that 40 other players on the ground. This 'rest forward' is absolute rubbish in the modern game. It couldn't have been MORE important to win centre clearances tonight and we dicked around with our preferred line up.

My post was a guess at what we were going to do.

I agree, and when we switched Trengove to Full back in the second half, surprise surprise we broke even in the second half, both scoring 26 points

GVGjr
29-07-2020, 11:46 PM
It was staggering.

Sweet has been an emergency all season so of course we bring in Trengove to essentially start in the ruck.

It's perplexing they way we look at giving players a rest

The bulldog tragician
29-07-2020, 11:47 PM
It was staggering.

This was all baffling, totally agree. Tim looked knackered, but if that’s the case, rest him fully - still being buffered and battered in ruck is not a rest. Same with Bont...getting crashed by the other forwards desperately flailing around to try and redeem themselves isn’t a picnic. By the way when Bont is down there why can we never manage to clear the forward line out to make use of his one on one marking strength.

bornadog
29-07-2020, 11:48 PM
Sweet has been an emergency all season so of course we bring in Trengove to essentially start in the ruck.

We are playing alot of games in a short period of time and players will need a rest. English looks tired to me as he has been rucking the majority of games. Perhaps Sweet gets is chance soon.

Sedat
30-07-2020, 12:10 AM
It was staggering.

100% this. Trengove coming in would have made perfect sense for Lynch at FB, given how he stitched him up last year. But Soldo was not the opponent to use a secondary ruckman against, and robbed English of the chance to dominate against these less mobile ruck types like he has against Naismith (until injured), Jacobs and Phillips this season already. What we did was actually the worst of both worlds.

soupman
30-07-2020, 12:34 AM

It's infuriating.

Soldo is bang average. So either let English run riot, give Sweet a debut against a non amazing ruck, or play Trengove there without English hanging around "resting". We chose the worst approach. Especially seeing as while English is good, he isn't a good forward and like Bont whats the point of playing him there if he can't finish his chances. His set shots drift 5m right every single time.