PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 11 Vs Brisbane 2020

Scraggers
22-07-2020, 03:29 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 12 match against Port Adelaide for our Round 8, 2020 match against Brisbane Lions at the Gabba on Saturday night?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
03-08-2020, 08:01 PM
Bumpity Bump

comrade
03-08-2020, 10:38 PM
Out: Wood, Bruce, JJ, English,
In: Lachie Young, Schache, Butler, Sweet

Mofra
03-08-2020, 10:40 PM
English? With 7-8 hitouts to advantage in the first quarter alone?

comrade
03-08-2020, 10:40 PM
English? With 7-8 hitouts to advantage in the first quarter alone?

He's cooked. Ladhams was one of Port's best.

Mantis
03-08-2020, 10:42 PM

Schache v Harris Andrews?

Please no!

Hopefully Naughton is good to go.

comrade
03-08-2020, 10:42 PM
Schache v Harris Andrews?

Please no!

Hopefully Naughton is good to go.

Bruce is going that badly, Schache is my preferred option.

Mantis
03-08-2020, 10:44 PM
We can't play Weightman again this year, well at least against half decent opposition... he's absolutely miles away from being able to contribute.

comrade
03-08-2020, 10:46 PM
We can't play Weightman again this year, well at least against half decent opposition... he's absolutely miles away from being able to contribute.

I had him as my 5th out but thought 5 was too many. He's a kid against men.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-08-2020, 10:52 PM
In: 2020 Draft and Trade Period
Out: How long have you got?

Honestly, the ins and outs matter little. Our bottom 5 are completely ineffective and we have a completely incompetent forward line which cannot be fixed by current personnel on our list. Naughton helps but he's one player.

Mofra
03-08-2020, 10:52 PM
I had him as my 5th out but thought 5 was too many. He's a kid against men.
He has endeavour but the kid just isn't ready. Especially in a high pressure game like that.

comrade
03-08-2020, 10:55 PM
He has endeavour but the kid just isn't ready. Especially in a high pressure game like that.

I've given up on 2020 as a season we can do any damage in, so don't mind giving the kids a chance to develop. He's not the difference between a win and a loss anyway.

We need to send a message that performances like tonight from experienced players like Wood, JJ and Bruce won't be tolerated. We apparently put so much weight on training & scratch match performances yet continue to overlook what actually happens on match day.

Mofra
03-08-2020, 11:03 PM
I've given up on 2020 as a season we can do any damage in, so don't mind giving the kids a chance to develop. He's not the difference between a win and a loss anyway.

We need to send a message that performances like tonight from experienced players like Wood, JJ and Bruce won't be tolerated. We apparently put so much weight on training & scratch match performances yet continue to overlook what actually happens on match day.
We simply don't have anyone to come in for Bruce, the only thing we'd do is put in Trengove and let English play more forward, which he's only shown glimpses of being able to pinch hit at. The MC selections have been confusing to say the least so that may happen. I don't think Sweet can ruck a full game even at 16 minute quarters yet, so if Sweet comes in English also stays and we need a tall (and Schache is a flanker, like Dale, more than a tall).

I still think Cordy can be thrown forward at a pinch, he's aggressive, but that means Trengove (or Gardner) plays back and the MC seem hesitant for either to happen now.

soupman
03-08-2020, 11:06 PM
I'm not huge on Weightman thus far but considering the amount of non-factor players we are carrying I would rather the point of difference he could provide over some of the other guys.

bornadog
03-08-2020, 11:07 PM

Agree, I would drop him for Fergus Greene who kicked 4 in the scratch match.

Vandermeer was ordinary tonight as was Roarke Smith, Lipinski. We are carrying too many players but who can come in?

West, Hunter, Naughton, Schache, Dickson may be ready to come back in

The Adelaide Connection
04-08-2020, 12:32 AM
Can we just go back and look at our lineup from the 2019 midyear break onwards and just play that?

1eyedog
04-08-2020, 01:41 AM
Outs: Weightman, JJ
Ins: West, Lew Young

azabob
04-08-2020, 08:09 AM
In: 2020 Draft and Trade Period
Out: How long have you got?

Honestly, the ins and outs matter little. Our bottom 5 are completely ineffective and we have a completely incompetent forward line which cannot be fixed by current personnel on our list. Naughton helps but he's one player.

How often have we seen this since 2017?

Vred
04-08-2020, 08:40 AM
Out: JJ, Bruce, Weightman, Roake,
In: Hayes, Schache, Naughton, Hunter

SonofScray
04-08-2020, 09:08 AM
I don't know if they are fit and able, but:

IN: Schache, Fergus, Hunter
OUT: Not sure.

We need goals.

Mofra
04-08-2020, 09:29 AM
Greene kicked 4 in the scratch match?
He has to come in. Yes he leads wide (really wide) but he can actually provide some semblence of a medium marking target.

EasternWest
04-08-2020, 09:31 AM
Greene kicked 4 in the scratch match?
He has to come in. Yes he leads wide (really wide) but he can actually provide some semblence of a medium marking target.

At the moment wide is good. Anywhere to create some space.

Happy Days
04-08-2020, 09:36 AM
In: Greene, Naughton, Hunter

Out: Bruce, Weightman, Smith

If Schache is ready then we probably need to drop Vandermeer for him. I get the sense that we will persist with Bruce though.

bornadog
04-08-2020, 10:10 AM

If Schache is ready then we probably need to drop Vandermeer for him. I get the sense that we will persist with Bruce though.

I can't see Bruce being dropped either. Naughton will help Bruce. I presume you mean R Smith out.:D

Happy Days
04-08-2020, 10:14 AM
I can't see Bruce being dropped either. Naughton will help Bruce. I presume you mean R Smith out.:D

Yeah. Honestly the game and effort from the group was pretty good (third quarter not withstanding), and with a better approach to forward 50 entries and the exclusion of two horrible unforced errors from no one in particular we probably win an away game against the top side. I don’t see a need for heads to roll.

Jam Donuts
04-08-2020, 10:33 AM

Savage

comrade
04-08-2020, 10:35 AM
Savage

I almost added Rourke Smith and Weightman ;)

Danjul
04-08-2020, 10:49 AM

Vandermeer is our only natural mobile forward at the moment. With luck could have had 4 goals last night. Just getting the ball a little too far out. He has had a much better impact than Lloyd this year.

westbulldog
04-08-2020, 11:29 AM
In West Sweet Lewis Young
Out Weightman R Smith Richards

Ozza
04-08-2020, 11:37 AM
Assuming no injuries.

In: West
Out: Weightman
West is miles ahead of Weightman. I'd also consider playing Schache.

In: Lewis Young
Out: Wood
Woody really struggled last two, and Brisbane are a very tall side. We're going to have to work out if Young is a player we want to keep.

In: Hunter (hoping he's ok to return....if not probably Hayes).
Out: Richards
Richards is just not getting it done. Hopefully Lachy is good to go.

Happy Days
04-08-2020, 11:40 AM
Vandermeer is our only natural mobile forward at the moment. With luck could have had 4 goals last night. Just getting the ball a little too far out. He has had a much better impact than Lloyd this year.

Maybe but Lloyd actually did kick his goals, got the ball far more, outtackled virtually all our other forwards and was very good last night. Vandermeer kicked 0.4 but those were pretty much his only stats.

FWIW I’m not advocating dropping either of them, its more that we will probably look to play two talls and I can’t see anyone else to drop from the forward line.

bornadog
04-08-2020, 11:44 AM
Richards is just not getting it done. Hopefully Lachy is good to go.

Whilst I agree Richards hasn't been very good this year, I thought he was playing well in his 50th game till he got the knock on his leg. Maybe he will miss due to his leg anyway

Ozza
04-08-2020, 11:46 AM
Maybe but Lloyd actually did kick his goals, got the ball far more, outtackled virtually all our other forwards and was very good last night. Vandermeer kicked 0.4 but those were pretty much his only stats.

FWIW I’m not advocating dropping either of them, its more that we will probably look to play two talls and I can’t see anyone else to drop from the forward line.

Good points HD. Thought Lloyd was really good last night. On a night where we didn't mark the ball he had 6 (next best Cordy 4), and when we only kicked 5 goals, he kicked 2 of them and handballed one to McLean. We need Lloyd playing at that level week in week out - as he did for most of last year.

Ozza
04-08-2020, 11:50 AM
Whilst I agree Richards hasn't been very good this year, I thought he was playing well in his 50th game till he got the knock on his leg. Maybe he will miss due to his leg anyway

The JJ and Wood mistakes get highlighted because they are so gut wrenching and obviously cost goals. But the missed opportunities where we can score are equally costly. Richards hasn't been making those forward half possessions count enough. Where he held the footy too long and ended up getting smothered when Wally was on out the back was a bad blue that comes to mind.

I like Richards, but think he gets a lot more chances that others (than West for example)

Bulldog4life
04-08-2020, 12:48 PM
In: Hunter, Naughton

Out: R.Smith, Weightman

Happy Days
04-08-2020, 12:50 PM
In: Hunter, Naughton

Out: R.Smith, Weightman

Well when you put it like that.

Danjul
04-08-2020, 02:25 PM
Good points HD. Thought Lloyd was really good last night. On a night where we didn't mark the ball he had 6 (next best Cordy 4), and when we only kicked 5 goals, he kicked 2 of them and handballed one to McLean. We need Lloyd playing at that level week in week out - as he did for most of last year.

Lloyds only good game for the season and both of his goals were the result of massive efforts by Wallis (if I remember correctly). Correct me if I’m wrong.

1eyedog
04-08-2020, 03:08 PM

We can't drop Bruce we have no-one who can compete in the air.

comrade
04-08-2020, 03:21 PM
We can't drop Bruce we have no-one who can compete in the air.

It's for his own good. Give him a week off to freshen up, find some touch in a scratch match and bring him back against Adelaide.

With the form he's in, Harris Andrews will chew him up and spit him out.

Happy Days
04-08-2020, 03:31 PM
It's for his own good. Give him a week off to freshen up, find some touch in a scratch match and bring him back against Adelaide.

Probably, but other than Andrews do Brisbane really have intercept defenders the calibre of Port? We might get a lot more mileage out of kicking to contests against them than we did against Port, particularly if another tall is picked.

I also think Bruce should be dropped, but if we have no aerial threat then it's going to be a matter of trying to spot up targets, which would play into their hands.

comrade
04-08-2020, 03:32 PM
I also think Bruce should be dropped, but if we have no aerial threat then it's going to be a matter of trying to spot up targets, which would play into their hands.

Maybe we can just kick it along the ground?

1eyedog
04-08-2020, 03:41 PM

If we drop Bruce, and I'm not opposed to it, Lew Young has to come in.

azabob
04-08-2020, 03:41 PM

As they say dirty balls or ground balls is what we need at the moment.

azabob
04-08-2020, 03:42 PM
If we drop Bruce, and I'm not opposed to it, Lew Young has to come in.

My question is who is this Bruce guy we keep talking about and I'm equally confused as to who Lew Young is?

Happy Days
04-08-2020, 03:43 PM

Are you Dwayne Russell/have you been the whole time? Would have been nicer in the commentary thread if so.

comrade
04-08-2020, 03:47 PM
Are you Dwayne Russell/have you been the whole time? Would have been nicer in the commentary thread if so.

You bet it is.

Happy Days
04-08-2020, 03:53 PM
You bet it is.

Delightful.

Remi Moses
04-08-2020, 04:30 PM
Couldn’t even think about what changes we could make , but surely the Roarke Smith experiment is over

bornadog
04-08-2020, 04:34 PM
Couldn’t even think about what changes we could make , but surely the Roarke Smith experiment is over

I don't even know what his role was last night

The Pie Man
04-08-2020, 05:26 PM
I don't even know what his role was last night

9 disposals ..no impact

If Naughton is fit, I’m torn between letting Bruce dominate a scratch match or give him another week with Naughton nearby to see if that can spark him.

Weightman & Roarke shouldn’t play next week.

Danjul
04-08-2020, 05:27 PM

I actually said that during the game. Then the opposition would not get a mark and be able to set up their play. We might have won doing that into the forward area.

Danjul
04-08-2020, 05:36 PM
9 disposals ..no impact

If Naughton is fit, I’m torn between letting Bruce dominate a scratch match or give him another week with Naughton nearby to see if that can spark him.

Weightman & Roarke shouldn’t play next week.
An interesting aspect of this Bruce/Naughton discussion is Schache played 8.5 of the last 10 games in 2019. He averaged more than 2 goals a game. Naughton played strongly further away from goal and the small forwards like Dale made contributions.

I think Trengove played in most of the games in that winning patch. With English that’s 4 genuine big players.

This year talls don’t get much consideration. Why not?

comrade
04-08-2020, 05:38 PM
I actually said that during the game. Then the opposition would not get a mark and be able to set up their play. We might have won doing that into the forward area.

Chaos ball!!

https://i.ibb.co/600X8bB/ohbaby.png (https://ibb.co/Jjj3q2Q)

Bulldog Revolution
04-08-2020, 05:56 PM
Ins West/Hunter, Sweet/Naughton,
Outs Weightman, Smith

DOG GOD
04-08-2020, 07:02 PM
I know what SHOULD happen, but if Gowers can get multiple games then so can R.Smith, so....

In: Greene
Out: weightman

DOG GOD
04-08-2020, 07:06 PM

This isn’t as stupid as it sounds Comrade. We cant take a contested mark in our fwd 50 anyway, so I’d just bang chaos balls along the ground.. we’ve probably got the smallest fwd line in the AFL anyway. That might play to their strengths somewhat.

josie
04-08-2020, 08:13 PM

That's exactly what I said to hubby when we were watching game - kick scrubbers into F50 as we sure as hell could not mark it. Chaos ground ball - with Lloyd playing ok last night & Wallis desperado extraordinaire we might have snagged a few more goals.

Happy Days
04-08-2020, 08:32 PM
Richmond are giving us a pretty good blueprint of how to play Andrews right now. If only we had Tom Lynch.

1eyedog
04-08-2020, 08:32 PM
I wish we were Richmond.

EasternWest
04-08-2020, 08:35 PM
I wish we were Richmond.

Wash your mouth out.

1eyedog
04-08-2020, 08:38 PM
2 flags and consistent performances over the past 3 years?
Yes please.

chef
04-08-2020, 08:40 PM
I wish we were Richmond.

Yep. I wish we handled our success like they did.

1eyedog
04-08-2020, 08:41 PM
I don't mind Richmond supporters either. Sure they're feral but I've actually sat in their cheer squad with Bulldogs scarf and beanie on when they played Carlton a few years before winning in 2017.

CarnTheScray
04-08-2020, 08:43 PM
Yep. I wish we handled our success like they did.
I wish we handled our success like most successful clubs.

1eyedog
04-08-2020, 08:44 PM
Maybe it's a step too far to say I don't mind them.

EasternWest
04-08-2020, 08:51 PM
Maybe it's a step too far to say I don't mind them.

I'll allow it.

1eyedog
04-08-2020, 09:00 PM
I'll allow it.

I think I've got cabin fever.

EasternWest
04-08-2020, 09:14 PM
I think I've got cabin fever.

You're starting to love the enemy. Sounds more like Stockholm Syndrome

Danjul
04-08-2020, 09:56 PM
Richmond are giving us a pretty good blueprint of how to play Andrews right now. If only we had Tom Lynch.

You mean we should get a player who is 200cm and 100kg and put them in the forward line. Where could we possibly find someone that big?

To justify their inclusion they would have to get at least 5 possessions.

1eyedog
04-08-2020, 10:26 PM
You mean we should get a player who is 200cm and 100kg and put them in the forward line. Where could we possibly find someone that big?

To justify their inclusion they would have to get at least 5 possessions.

It's weird isn't it. Is Bevo bordering on mismanagement of our big blokes? Boyd to the ruck, signing but not playing Roberts, signing but not playing Trengove, not playing Schache, playing Lew Young in 2019 but now refusing to, after a promising preseason game forward, getting rid of our premiership ruckman and then playing Jong , Dunkley, Bont, Macrae, Cordy in the ruck? I don't get it we've cried out for one talented tall for 20 years now we either seem to play them out of position, not play them at all or let them go.

ratsmac
04-08-2020, 11:11 PM
We kept Port to their 3rd lowest score of the season, only Brisbane and Stkilda kept them to a lower score who sit 2nd and 3rd on the ladder retrospectively. Our defence is going alright. Yeah JJ and Wood made some howlers and were well below their best but calls for them to be dropped is a bit rich. Our defense as a collective unit were holding up even against a genuine Gorilla in Dixon. Dixon only kicked 1 goal against our defense and 1 goal from a BS free kick that should've gone against him for hands in the back, so that doesn't count.

Any changes we make has to come forward of centre. Our forward line is a shambles but so are the entries. The cohesion between our mids and forward is a disaster. The forwards don't know when and where to lead and the mids don't know when or where they are leading.

Out- Weightman, Vander (rested)

In- Hunter/West, Naughton/Schache/Lew Young

In that order depending on availability.

bornadog
05-08-2020, 12:03 AM
We kept Port to their 3rd lowest score of the season, only Brisbane and Stkilda kept them to a lower score who sit 2nd and 3rd on the ladder retrospectively. Our defence is going alright. Yeah JJ and Wood made some howlers and were well below their best but calls for them to be dropped is a bit rich. Our defense as a collective unit were holding up even against a genuine Gorilla in Dixon. Dixon only kicked 1 goal against our defense and 1 goal from a BS free kick that should've gone against him for hands in the back, so that doesn't count.

Any changes we make has to come forward of centre. Our forward line is a shambles but so are the entries. The cohesion between our mids and forward is a disaster. The forwards don't know when and where to lead and the mids don't know when or where they are leading.

Out- Weightman, Vander (rested)

In- Hunter/West, Naughton/Schache/Lew Young

In that order depending on availability.

Great post Ratsmac, some positive thoughts. I actually think we played well against Richmond in the second half and matched them score wise, then took that momentum into the Port game. Lets continue and take it right up to Brisbane.

I like your ins/outs

Ozza
05-08-2020, 02:13 AM
It's weird isn't it. Is Bevo bordering on mismanagement of our big blokes? Boyd to the ruck, signing but not playing Roberts, signing but not playing Trengove, not playing Schache, playing Lew Young in 2019 but now refusing to, after a promising preseason game forward, getting rid of our premiership ruckman and then playing Jong , Dunkley, Bont, Macrae, Cordy in the ruck? I don't get it we've cried out for one talented tall for 20 years now we either seem to play them out of position, not play them at all or let them go.

Bevo was quite clear in his presser, that we didn't play many talls but 'will continue to pick players who can cover the ground'.

I wouldn't expect an overly different line up any time soon with respect to bigs.

mjp
05-08-2020, 10:36 AM
Roarke Smith.

Played pre-season as an outside mid and looked to have found a spot. I was surprised he was overlooked in R1.

Sent to purgatory for 7 months.

Returns on a zero playing base knowing it is a career on the line type scenario and doesn't exactly light it up against the top of the ladder Power.

I vote we give him another chance. I know - he has had chances over the journey (and injuries) but can we give him a shot in the wing role he seemed to be playing OK in for a couple of games just to see if he can do it?

Danjul
05-08-2020, 11:15 AM
Bevo was quite clear in his presser, that we didn't play many talls but 'will continue to pick players who can cover the ground'.

I wouldn't expect an overly different line up any time soon with respect to bigs.
If a big strong tall centre half back marks a kick-in on the 50 m arc and kicks it to a big strong tall centre half forward who hits Bruce on the chest with a 40 metre pass, leading to a goal, I don’t care if any of them stretch out on the grass for a 5 minute nap. They have covered the ground better than what we are doing now.

Vred
05-08-2020, 11:23 AM
Our forward line is a shambles but so are the entries. The cohesion between our mids and forward is a disaster.

Touching on this, we haven't actually played our BEST midfield all season, and what I consider the best are: Bont, Dunks, Libba, Macrae, Smith, Hunter - We have yet to play a game with all 6 playing their proper positions, when we can (Hopefully this weekend) I think our mids will fix up their problems and hopefully start delivering into F50 a bit better.

The bulldog tragician
05-08-2020, 11:31 AM
Roarke Smith.

Played pre-season as an outside mid and looked to have found a spot. I was surprised he was overlooked in R1.

Returns on a zero playing base knowing it is a career on the line type scenario and doesn't exactly light it up against the top of the ladder Power.

I vote we give him another chance. I know - he has had chances over the journey (and injuries) but can we give him a shot in the wing role he seemed to be playing OK in for a couple of games just to see if he can do it?

He has been such an unlucky player and I'd like to see him given another week. I think in the current circumstances it is pretty tough to come into an AFL standard game when there's only been scratch matches, and fit in immediately. I'm not sure what his role/position was, it is so tricky on TV, he just didn't get it enough if he was on the wing and getting involved more is definitely his challenge.

Axe Man
05-08-2020, 11:39 AM
Roarke Smith.

A tend to agree, I have no issue with Roarke getting another game. I don't recall any howlers, he just struggled to get involved. We have seen worse performances this season and he may well have largely done what was asked of him by the coaches.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-08-2020, 11:52 AM
Roarke Smith.

Agree with this.

I'm not a fan of Roarke, but there's absolutely no sense to bouncing players out of the side after 1 week given the current inability to play proper matches at the lower level. Anyone coming into the side really needs to be afforded 2-3 weeks and at this point, I would like to see us do this to make definitive calls at the end of the year to the list. Guys like Porter, Greene, Roarke, Hayes etc.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-08-2020, 12:07 PM
I thought Roarke actually started well. Got involved early with some clever bits of play. But after the 1st quarter he did go missing.

Ozza
05-08-2020, 12:35 PM
If a big strong tall centre half back marks a kick-in on the 50 m arc and kicks it to a big strong tall centre half forward who hits Bruce on the chest with a 40 metre pass, leading to a goal, I don’t care if any of them stretch out on the grass for a 5 minute nap. They have covered the ground better than what we are doing now.

I'm not sure this scenario has happened in AFL football for 30 years.

Axe Man
05-08-2020, 12:54 PM

I was going to say the same thing - you would need to get the DeLorean up to 88 miles per hour to see this play out live.

bornadog
05-08-2020, 01:12 PM

Also, that is not our issue. We move the ball faster than any team from one end to the other. We just don't take all out chances in the FWD50.

josie
05-08-2020, 01:56 PM
I thought Roarke actually started well. Got involved early with some clever bits of play. But after the 1st quarter he did go missing.

Agree

Danjul
05-08-2020, 06:28 PM
Williams kicks to Naughton/Sweet, English/Naughton ,Bruce/English goal . Won’t happen, concept would not activate a brain cell that could test it.

But I think it would work better than a chain of 7 handballs that leads to a turnover (which I have seen this year). Also would remove the need to have 4 Bulldogs competing in the same pack (which I have seen this year).

Unfortunately I can’t claim credit for the idea, but I would like to see it tried.

FrediKanoute
05-08-2020, 06:33 PM
I was going to say the same thing - you would need to get the DeLorean up to 88 miles per hour to see this play out live.

Funny and not footy related but I saw a real live Delorean on the weekend. Some guy was driving it in London. We think it had something wrong with it as it was making a god awful noise and he was driving with one of the wing doors open

Danjul
05-08-2020, 06:50 PM
Also, that is not our issue. We move the ball faster than any team from one end to the other. We just don't take all out chances in the FWD50.
What do the numbers
represent?

It is the Bulldogs goal scoring this year. Median (expected) result is 7.

In The game with 13 Bruce, Schache and Wallis got 10. Speed wasn’t relevant. Strength and positioning were.

We move the ball fast and nobody knows where it’s going to finish up. That’s why 7 out of 8 entries don’t get a goal.

A game based on defined targets might slow them down, straighten them up, and leave them breathing well enough to kick straight.

And in the winning streak last year we tended to play with 4 genuine talls which was a change from the earlier losing streak which made the wooden spoon a possibility.

josie
05-08-2020, 07:15 PM
Thanks Danjul-insightful post.

Axe Man
05-08-2020, 07:36 PM
Funny and not footy related but I saw a real live Delorean on the weekend. Some guy was driving it in London. We think it had something wrong with it as it was making a god awful noise and he was driving with one of the wing doors open

Haha, probably not surprising for a near 40 year old car that was plagued with quality issues.

Jeanette54
05-08-2020, 10:55 PM

That's what they do. It took Hollywood's vivid imagination to get one to run for all of a two hour movie.

However, on the football front, Schache must come back, to lead where Bruce is not, to separate the Lion's defenders. We must get back to the manic pressure of 2016, disrupting their disposals, or their forward line will have a picnic.

bornadog
06-08-2020, 06:40 PM
Some injuries including Crozier

Injury list

Bailey Dale (ankle) – available
Tory Dickson (quad) – available
Callum Porter (shoulder) – available
Aaron Naughton (ankle) – test
Hayden Crozier (toe) – 2-3 weeks
Josh Schache (groin) – 2-3 weeks
Taylor Duryea (quad) – 3-4 weeks
Lin Jong (ankle) – 3-4 weeks
Matt Suckling (hamstring) – 3-4 weeks

DOG GOD
06-08-2020, 06:54 PM

Injury list

Just what we don’t need

The Bulldogs Bite
06-08-2020, 06:57 PM
Ouch.

Crozier missing multiple weeks hurts.

hujsh
06-08-2020, 08:38 PM
Schache also out is no good.

How long has Dureya been gone for? Is it basically season over for him now?

The bulldog tragician
06-08-2020, 08:55 PM
Ok so the Schache dilemma is cleared up. We will really miss Crozier.

Bulldog Revolution
06-08-2020, 09:42 PM
Ins: West, LaYoung, Sweet
Outs: Weightman, Crozier, English

Eastdog
06-08-2020, 09:50 PM

Injury list

Some key players there who are out.

MrMahatma
06-08-2020, 09:51 PM
Naughton and Dickson in would be nice.

Eastdog
06-08-2020, 09:56 PM
Naughton and Dickson in would be nice.

Yep would like to see that as well.

bornadog
06-08-2020, 10:07 PM
In: Dale, Hunter, Naughton

Out: Weightman, Crozier, Richards

Eastdog
06-08-2020, 10:11 PM
Don’t normally post much in the match committee thread but this week I’ll give it go:

In: Naughton, Dickson, Hunter
Out: Crozier, Weightman, Rorake Smith

MrMahatma
06-08-2020, 11:52 PM
Don’t normally post much in the match committee thread but this week I’ll give it go:

In: Naughton, Dickson, Hunter
Out: Crozier, Weightman, Rorake Smith

Crozier is a shame but gee that makes us a stronger team.

AutoFill
06-08-2020, 11:57 PM
Gardner will be in this week. They’ve been talking him up......

bornadog
07-08-2020, 12:15 AM

Who has ?

azabob
07-08-2020, 07:15 AM
I must admit it was odd not having our team announced last night for a Saturday night game.

GVGjr
07-08-2020, 09:45 AM
Schache also out is no good.

How long has Dureya been gone for? Is it basically season over for him now?

You would have to think the season is as good as done for him. He's been around 4 weeks away for the last 6 or 8 weeks
Clearly he is having some setbacks

Real shame, he would add something to our best 22.

Danjul
07-08-2020, 10:16 AM
Ins: West, LaYoung, Sweet
Outs: Weightman, Crozier, English
If Schache is injured and we think that is a negative impact on the team why haven’t we looked for a genuine replacement from the list.

It would have to be someone who can get between 4 and 12 disposals, act as a target to take a tall defender away from Bruce, get 2 or 3 hitouts so we don’t waste the exquisite talents of Dunkley, Macrae and The Bont in the ruck while giving English a much needed break . Let’s say they would also need to take 2 marks and kick a goal.

Actually, that’s going to make them look pretty good.

Of course we could go with a short light young unproven player, or one who has proven that they don’t fit the bill which is our usual solution to everything, but I would suggest Sweet.

If he gets 3 kicks, 2 marks, 1 goal and 5 hitouts he has done better than Bruce in most games.

Axe Man
07-08-2020, 12:19 PM
Naughton in, still no Hunter

Forward Aaron Naughton will return for the Western Bulldogs as they look to find “extreme intensity” to beat Brisbane (https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs/afl-2020-forward-aaron-naughton-will-return-for-the-western-bulldogs-as-they-look-to-find-extreme-intensity-to-beat-brisbane/news-story/82ccc96e2401248916a6ad27aa0400af)

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has warned against high expectations for returning forward Aaron Naughton who will come in “cold” for Saturday’s clash against Brisbane.

Midfield star Lachy Hunter will miss again as he continues to work through personal issues and a return to fitness which Beveridge said were combining to keep him out of the selection mix.

But high-flyer Naughton will slot back in to a forward line which managed just five goals in last week’s loss to Port Adelaide, the 20-year-old’s first game since he hurt his ankle against Sydney in Round 4.

“I think it’s important to lower expectation though. He has been out for a little while. For him to come in cold and play t his absolute best is going to be a huge challenge,” Beveridge said on Friday.

“In the current climate, there is no better way to get match fitness than to play. The frustrating thing is he was starting to get back to some of his best in the Sydney game when he got injured.

“We hope it doesn’t take him too long, but just to get the run out he needs, and the blow out, this is the first step. Hopefully we can move the ball well to help him play better.”

Beveridge conceded he didn’t know whether his team was up to the challenge of taking down premiership contender Brisbane, after back-to-back losses to title aspirants Port and Richmond.

The Bulldogs play winless Adelaide in Round 11, but Beveridge said the real challenge for his team was simply to find their best, regardless of opposition.

“We haven’t established that we are a team that necessarily wins against anyone at either poles on the ladder,” he said.

“Our own personal challenge is an internal thing. We are looking for our most extreme aspect of intensity and how provocative we can be as a group in the competition.

“I don’t think you see Brisbane any different to Adelaide the following week.

“We do think we can be an influential team and an improving tram quickly but it matters not if your performance doesn’t back up that language.”

The Bulldogs coach confirmed defender Hayden Crozier would miss up to three matches with his toe injury, and forward Josh Schache could be out for longer with a groin.

Injuries, uncertainty of fixturing, and the unknowns about list sizes and state competitions for 2021 are adding to a growing “anxiety” among players which Beveridge said was another factor all clubs were dealing with to try and get the best on-field performance each week.

“As the season rolls on the boys who aren’t playing senior footy and how disconcerting it is around their future and what list sizes might look like, state league competitions for next year and the draft, there are peripheral things we need to be mindful of,” he said.

“Anxiety, I think it’s there. It’s there every year, it’s just different this time because they don’t have their support networks around them outside of the club.

“We’ve just got to manage it differently and together. But it’s there.”

Bulldog Revolution
07-08-2020, 12:25 PM
If Schache is injured and we think that is a negative impact on the team why haven’t we looked for a genuine replacement from the list.

It would have to be someone who can get between 4 and 12 disposals, act as a target to take a tall defender away from Bruce, get 2 or 3 hitouts so we don’t waste the exquisite talents of Dunkley, Macrae and The Bont in the ruck while giving English a much needed break . Let’s say they would also need to take 2 marks and kick a goal.

Actually, that’s going to make them look pretty good.

Of course we could go with a short light young unproven player, or one who has proven that they don’t fit the bill which is our usual solution to everything, but I would suggest Sweet.

If he gets 3 kicks, 2 marks, 1 goal and 5 hitouts he has done better than Bruce in most games.

I had a feeling they might try Sweet this week - with Martin is missing

I did wonder if they'd try the two rucks together

However Naughton is back in so that likely means they likely wont play two rucks

Bulldog Revolution
07-08-2020, 12:28 PM
You would have to think the season is as good as done for him. He's been around 4 weeks away for the last 6 or 8 weeks
Clearly he is having some setbacks

Real shame, he would add something to our best 22.

Would have been the perfect cover for Crozier this week - like for like - ok not as strong aerially but positionally understands the caper

Mofra
07-08-2020, 12:55 PM
Would have been the perfect cover for Crozier this week - like for like - ok not as strong aerially but positionally understands the caper
I really like Lachie Young in a similar role. Will be interesting to see if he gets a chance in his preferred position.

The Pie Man
07-08-2020, 01:19 PM
I really like Lachie Young in a similar role. Will be interesting to see if he gets a chance in his preferred position.

Ed Richards?

Mofra
07-08-2020, 02:19 PM
Ed Richards?
As a running rebounder? He's competing with JJ, Williams, and at a stretch Daniel.

Crozier and Wood are medium sized interceptors which is where Lachie played his best footy last year.

1eyedog
07-08-2020, 02:46 PM
With Naughton back and Croz out I'd throw Vander back. Any chance?

Bulldog Revolution
07-08-2020, 02:54 PM

Yeah thats where looked promising last year - be interesting to see if hes one of the ins today

Rocket Science
07-08-2020, 03:03 PM
Nobody might be gladder that Naughton's back than Juicy Brucey.

bornadog
07-08-2020, 03:23 PM
As a running rebounder? He's competing with JJ, Williams, and at a stretch Daniel.

Crozier and Wood are medium sized interceptors which is where Lachie played his best footy last year.

Does Roarke go back?

Maybe a Butler comes in? I would prefer La Young.

Danjul
07-08-2020, 03:30 PM
With Naughton back and Croz out I'd throw Vander back. Any chance?
That would rob the forward line .Vander is one of our two players who have kicked more than 1 goal multiple times. Seems to work well around Bruce and Wallis and not get in their way. Has plenty of shots at goal, probably our best recent inclusion.

The bulldog tragician
07-08-2020, 03:37 PM
The team not yet announced?

Axe Man
07-08-2020, 04:07 PM
The team not yet announced?

Through this festival of footy teams are only announced around 6:20pm the day before the match.

Axe Man
07-08-2020, 04:11 PM
Maybe a Butler comes in?

Can we borrow Dan from St Kilda? Or were you more thinking along the lines of Niles from the Nanny or Geoffrey from the Fresh Prince?

azabob
07-08-2020, 07:25 PM
Cue meltdown

azabob
07-08-2020, 07:28 PM
IN: Bailey Dale, Aaron Naughton, Ryan Gardner
OUT: Hayden Crozier (toe), Cody Weightman, Roarke Smith

bornadog
07-08-2020, 07:32 PM
Why oh why

Happy Days
07-08-2020, 07:33 PM
The world is literally ending, I haven't seen my friends or family in what feels like forever, every day seems to carry with it an impending sense of doom and terror, and yet somehow this is the worst news I've gotten this year.

DOG GOD
IN: Bailey Dale, Aaron Naughton, Ryan Gardner
OUT: Hayden Crozier (toe), Cody Weightman, Roarke Smith

Brisbane by 100 points then. Geez, honestly (rolls eyes)

Remi Moses
No comment

Happy Days
So training > scratch match form > hitting your foot with the ball.

azabob
B: Easton Wood, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
HB: Bailey Williams, Zaine Cordy, Jason Johannisen
C: Bailey Smith, Jack Macrae, Pat Lipinski
HF: Toby McLean, Aaron Naughton, Laitham Vandermeer
F: Mitch Wallis, Josh Bruce, Josh Dunkley
Foll: Tim English, Tom Liberatore, Marcus Bontempelli
Int: Ed Richards, Sam Lloyd, Bailey Dale, Ryan Gardner
Emer: Lewis Young, Cody Weightman, Ben Cavarra, Roarke Smith

Axe Man
Cue meltdown

Yeah, can't believe we are playing that Naughton chump. ;)

Some handy ins for Brisbane: Rich, Birchall, McStay and Eagles for Rayner, Skinner, Ballenden and Payne.

Grantysghost
07-08-2020, 07:35 PM
Smith basically out for Gardner? Mid wing type for a tallish defender. Wonder how we will move the pieces around to accommodate. I'm giving Gardner a chance they must see something *ducks*

Rocket Science
07-08-2020, 07:35 PM
Vale Lewis Young. We barely knew ye.

comrade
07-08-2020, 07:37 PM
Not Gardner’s fault he got picked so hopefully he can replicate what must be absolutely sparkling scratch match form.

DOG GOD
07-08-2020, 07:37 PM
Lew young might as well go back to Victoria. The MC obviously hate his guts

Remi Moses
07-08-2020, 07:38 PM
Beveridge said Young’s been injured

Remi Moses
07-08-2020, 07:38 PM
Brisbane hold my beer
Matt Eagles who was on the recruit
Thought he was gone

hujsh
07-08-2020, 07:40 PM
They've said Gardener has been good intercepting right? Maybe he's a Crozier replacement and does better as a 3rd tall? Looking for anything here.

Grantysghost
07-08-2020, 07:41 PM
They've said Gardener has been good intercepting right? Maybe he's a Crozier replacement and does better as a 3rd tall? Looking for anything here.

That makes some sense. I think.

Feel for Rourke surely you need a couple of games to get your feet.

comrade
07-08-2020, 07:42 PM
Question for WOOF: What is a pass mark for Gardner where you’d be happy for him to play the following week?

Before I Die
07-08-2020, 07:42 PM
I’m congratulating Ryan on fighting his way back into the team and sincerely wishing him all the best for the game. I’ve only seen him in his few senior appearances and they haven’t been great so far. However, he wouldn’t be the first player to have a slow start to his career and clearly he is doing the right thing in the scratch matches and one on one tussles at training. If he can find his feet he has the physical attributes we badly need. Go Dogs and go Ryan.

Grantysghost
07-08-2020, 07:43 PM
Question for WOOF: What is a pass mark for Gardner where you’d be happy for him to play the following week?

He seems to be very athletic so I'd be looking for intercept marks and third man spoils. Also handpasses. People, run from behind.

Happy Days
07-08-2020, 07:44 PM

It's the Gowers conundrum all over again where he's got so much exposed form of being terrible that I don't want him to play well because then we have to pick him again.

I'm not trying to bash the guy its just so frustrating to care about this so much and feel like we're going out of our way to not put our best side forward.

Grantysghost
07-08-2020, 07:46 PM
It's the Gowers conundrum all over again where he's got so much exposed form of being terrible that I don't want him to play well because then we have to pick him again.

I'm not trying to bash the guy its just so frustrating to care about this so much and feel like we're going out of our way to not put our best side forward.

Could he potentially be like Hamling? Not many rated him prior to end of 2016. Similar pathway and type of player.

AutoFill
07-08-2020, 07:46 PM
So no surprises, the club is developing a pattern here...they seem to know there will be a bit of friction with the faithful.

comrade
07-08-2020, 07:51 PM

So not trending on Twitter would be a tick for Gardner?

Happy Days
07-08-2020, 07:54 PM
So not trending on Twitter would be a tick for Gardner?

I know that our bottom 6 don't matter and we could play literally anyone or whatever the current zeitgeist is on that but the times we've played Gardner we've a) lost b) badly with c) a full on negative contribution from him. This is MADNESS especially with clearly superior players in the same position not getting picked.

kruder
07-08-2020, 07:55 PM
I reckon Bevo would pick me for the Presidents Cup if he watched me on the driving range...
Um on the golf course a very differnt story;)

Good luck Ryan.

kruder
07-08-2020, 07:56 PM
Why oh why

I agree I'd give Naughty another week;)

Axe Man
07-08-2020, 07:57 PM
Brisbane hold my beer
Matt Eagles who was on the recruit
Thought he was gone

The Eagles v Gardner matchup will be one for the ages!

comrade
07-08-2020, 07:59 PM
I know that our bottom 6 don't matter and we could play literally anyone or whatever the current zeitgeist is on that but the times we've played Gardner we've a) lost b) badly with c) a full on negative contribution from him. This is MADNESS especially with clearly superior players in the same position not getting picked.

My big thing with the 'bottom 6 don't matter' concept is a) they do just not as much as our top 6, and b) because they don't influence the result as much, why not try and develop players on the list that have shown glimpses and may have a future at the top level.

Would have been a good opportunity to give Lachie Young or Louis Butler an 2-3 game block in the half back role until Crozier returns.

Anyway, good luck to Gardner. I've got a feeling he'll either prove us wrong, or he'll go the Gowers path and torch his career entirely.

Hotdog60
07-08-2020, 08:08 PM

1: Don't fumble
2: Don't fumble
3: Don't fumble
4: Kick true
5: Kick true
6: Kick true

comrade
07-08-2020, 08:10 PM
1: Don't fumble
2: Don't fumble
3: Don't fumble
4: Kick true
5: Kick true
6: Kick true

So no fumbles and no turn overs by foot would be a pass?

Sedat
07-08-2020, 08:14 PM
Feel for Rourke surely you need a couple of games to get your feet.
What was the point of playing Roarke for 1 week against Port and Trengove for 1 week (in ruck and not as a key defender on Lynch) against Richmond? Head-scratching.

Brisbane don't have dominant key forwards in great form, so it's puzzling that we replaced a medium running defender with a tall defender who doesn't offer much attacking drive. Maybe Zaine plays up forward in a 3-pronged attack to stretch their defence?

soupman
07-08-2020, 08:26 PM
I thought Gardner was solid against Collingwood in contests, he generally got a spoil in or had some kind of impact. Basically most contests he was involved in with that game he did the bare minimum for me to say he did his job. However he undid any positivity that game with his switch stuff up (can't remember if there were more stuff ups but i remember not enjoyign him playing so he must have been bad in other areas too).

The issue is that the risk reward ratio is too out of whack from what we have seen. We are yet to see him have a single moment that you could point to as him demonstrating an AFL attribute. He seems at best fine in a number of areas, but at worst woeful. Young is a good example of another guy with some similiar attribute who has also had his fair share of howlers, but you are happier to wear them with him because you can see his AFL attributes.

So for me to be happy with Gardner playing next week he would need to have a game where he shows any AFL attributes worht persisting with, and his playing is not to the detriment to the side (so no major unforced skill errors). If he can show that he can play a game without being a liability, and show that there is more to him than a skinny tall guy who tries, then I can live with another week.

Unfortunately for him he has already had some very unsubtle bad games, so everyone has already written him off and instead of getting the benefit of the doubt when he eventually stuffs up he will instead just find that any errors confirm peoples perception of him as not good (see exhibit Gowers).

DOG GOD
07-08-2020, 08:29 PM
I’m expecting nothing more than a 5 possession game from Gardner, although I’m hoping for 6 plus a contested mark in defensive 50.
I’m pretty much over understanding the MC.

1eyedog
07-08-2020, 08:34 PM
Just don't get injured so you can help with rotations for the duration of the match.

Grantysghost
07-08-2020, 08:34 PM
What was the point of playing Roarke for 1 week against Port and Trengove for 1 week (in ruck and not as a key defender on Lynch) against Richmond? Head-scratching.

Brisbane don't have dominant key forwards in great form, so it's puzzling that we replaced a medium running defender with a tall defender who doesn't offer much attacking drive. Maybe Zaine plays up forward in a 3-pronged attack to stretch their defence?

Agree with this. Your reward for training well? A week to prove yourself or you're out. Trengove hadn't played at AFL level since August 2019 and he get's one game in which we were very poor collectively to stake a claim. Irony is the guy who initially usurped him only needed one.
Roarke the same. I dont mind trying him for a while. He has some decent attributes. Let's see if they go somewhere if he gets a run at it.

The bulldog tragician
07-08-2020, 09:13 PM
It is painful to say it but I’m really at a loss with this selection, more than I can ever recall being. I don’t really want to outline all the reasons why. I just hope like hell Gardner repays the faith and that we are all collectively VERY wrong.

comrade
07-08-2020, 09:17 PM
Roarke isn't an AFL quality footballer, so I'm not overly concerned that he was dropped but it does further highlight how confusing the selection criteria seems to be. Some blokes get extra chances, some don't. You'd want to be in the 'get chances' crew, that's for sure. I thought Roarke was, but who knows.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-08-2020, 09:33 PM
Well I sure help Gardner plays well. Because it’ll be extremely worrying if this forum is right more often than the MC.

A pass for me is just for him to nullify most contests and not turn it over. His selection must mean he’s put in countless hours with Mason Cox learning how to kick an Aussie rules football.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-08-2020, 09:35 PM
On another note I’m looking forward to seeing our forward line with Naughts and Dale back. Bruce, Dale, Naughton, Lloyd and Wallis is about as good as we will get. Of course two of them are underdone and one horribly out of form but hopefully we’ll see some signs of what we haven’t seen since the 1st quarter of round 4.

Happy Days
07-08-2020, 09:36 PM
Roarke’s first game was in 2015. He’s more than had his fair shake and there should be no consternation about his use as a plug and play guy.

Remi Moses
07-08-2020, 09:38 PM
I see Lewis Young is in the emergencies
Bevo said he was on the brink of selection and was slightly injured
I’m not sure what’s going on . I hope Gardner goes well and not going to pile on

bulldogsthru&thru
07-08-2020, 09:44 PM
If Young has been injured why hasn’t this been mentioned in the injury updates? Instead we’re all left guessing as to why he’s never in the frame for selection. It’s slightly frustrating.

GVGjr
07-08-2020, 09:54 PM
Fergus Green was on the emergency list against Port and is relegated from it against Brisbane
Jordon Sweet's outstanding run on the emergency list comes to an end

I will be interested to see how we use Gardner.

DOG GOD
07-08-2020, 10:05 PM
I will be interested to see how we use Gardner.

Hopefully not on Hipwood.

jeemak
07-08-2020, 10:12 PM
Maybe the selection criteria is train/scratch well, come in and demonstrably do what you're told (which may not mean kick goals or get possessions) and stay, or don't and go back to training and scratch matches to prove yourself. Maybe it's horses for courses or a mix.

I doubt it is come in and get a minimum of two games.

Mitcha
07-08-2020, 10:13 PM
Here we go again, Lewis Young must have had both arms amputated that we weren't made aware of, Gardner really.
Just on Fergus, I have been told that the MC (Bevo) like his offensive stuff but have told him that he won't play unless he improves his defensive work rate, obviously the same didn't apply when Gowers has been gifted games earlier this season. Certainly has his favourites does the coach and seems that some papers have already been stamped. Also unsure why Sweet has been named as an emergency 87 times when there is obviously no intention of playing him.

ratsmac
07-08-2020, 10:26 PM
Don't worry about Gardener, Naughton is back!

Hopefully Naughton can continue the form he looked like he was getting back before he done his ankle. Do we play Naughts closer to goal or Bruce?

On Gardener though, we just have to play well enough that our defenders aren't under constant unrelenting pressure where an inexperienced Gardener is overwhelmed enough to make silly errors. For some reason Gardener seems to have a lot of pressure on him to perform well for a bloke who has only played 4 games. Personally I'd rather Lewis Young get a crack at it but it is what it is. Good luck to him.

Hopefully the rest will freshen Bailey Dale up. He hasn't played a good game all year. Brisbane have Zac Bailey so that's 4 Baileys playing!!

GVGjr
07-08-2020, 10:36 PM
An injury free Bailey Dale could be good for us, we know Naughton will be a big positive and Gardner will have a role to play.
For what it's worth I think we have done well with the selections

We were impressive on Monday and we should be even better tomorrow

hujsh
07-08-2020, 10:41 PM
Don't worry about Gardener, Naughton is back!

Hopefully Naughton can continue the form he looked like he was getting back before he done his ankle. Do we play Naughts closer to goal or Bruce?

On Gardener though, we just have to play well enough that our defenders aren't under constant unrelenting pressure where an inexperienced Gardener is overwhelmed enough to make silly errors. For some reason Gardener seems to have a lot of pressure on him to perform well for a bloke who has only played 4 games. Personally I'd rather Lewis Young get a crack at it but it is what it is. Good luck to him.

Hopefully the rest will freshen Bailey Dale up. He hasn't played a good game all year. Brisbane have Zac Bailey so that's 4 Baileys playing!!

The optimism is nice but I think it will be very surprising if he can do that this week. Maybe second or third game back he'll have some touch back

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-08-2020, 10:51 PM
The optimism is nice but I think it will be very surprising if he can do that this week. Maybe second or third game back he'll have some touch back

If he can free up Bruce as a target it will be a worthwhile selection

hujsh
07-08-2020, 11:18 PM
If he can free up Bruce as a target it will be a worthwhile selection

I honestly think it's a good selection if it even sets him up for a better rest of the season. Everything else is bonus.

bornadog
07-08-2020, 11:20 PM

Spot on, a replacement for Crozier

G-Mo77
07-08-2020, 11:25 PM
I just saw the teams. Gardner? This has got to be some sick joke? He has shown absolutely nothing at the highest level nothing at all!

bornadog
07-08-2020, 11:26 PM
Roarke isn't an AFL quality footballer, so I'm not overly concerned that he was dropped but it does further highlight how confusing the selection criteria seems to be. Some blokes get extra chances, some don't. You'd want to be in the 'get chances' crew, that's for sure. I thought Roarke was, but who knows.

Isn't it horses for courses and the players picked are for a particular role. We know Rengove was brought in after Richmond brought in another ruck and English was given a bit of a spell. This week there are no match ups for Trengove.

Roarke, I am surprised he has been dropped.

bornadog
07-08-2020, 11:28 PM
Roarke’s first game was in 2015. He’s more than had his fair shake and there should be no consternation about his use as a plug and play guy.

He has been unlucky as well with two or is it three knee recos

The Bulldogs Bite
07-08-2020, 11:41 PM
There seems to be no method with the MC but that's been true for a long time, save for 6-7 weeks late last year.

JT and Roarke dropped after one game is harsh when Gowers got 2 (or 3?). West has vanished, Young and Hayes banished, Greene and Lynch forgotten. I hope Gardener plays well but it's just odd - he's yet to show a single AFL quality trait. What are the reasons for selecting him over some of the others mentioned? Namely Young - again, surely Lewis requests a trade at the end of the year.

Each year we seem to enjoy trialling a couple of players regardless of form, then forget about them the following year.

chef
07-08-2020, 11:41 PM
Picking Gardner isnt going to be the difference between us winning and losing. Hope he has a good game but im not that fussed by his inclusion

GVGjr
07-08-2020, 11:49 PM
Picking Gardner isnt going to be the difference between us winning and losing. Hope he has a good game but im not that fussed by his inclusion

Yep, if we have identified a role for him lets see how he performs. I think we have a stronger 22 against Brisbane than we did against Port and we were very good against Port. We've got a good chance tomorrow night to knock off a good team

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-08-2020, 12:23 AM
I'm not sold on Gardner's future, but he isn't the first player who presented poorly in his first few showings, and subsequently come good.
I'm more interested in how more highly touted guys like Mclean, Richards, Lipinski, JJ, Dale and Bruce perform. Their performance will have a bigger say in whether we win or lose tomorrow than Gardner will.

MrMahatma
08-08-2020, 12:34 AM

I guess a few of us (me included) wonder why that spot isn’t given to someone like either of the Youngs- particularly Lewis - who have more upside. Gardner looks like an average footballer at best. Lewis has way more upside... but he’s on ice?

jeemak
08-08-2020, 12:48 AM
I guess a few of us (me included) wonder why that spot isn’t given to someone like either of the Youngs- particularly Lewis - who have more upside. Gardner looks like an average footballer at best. Lewis has way more upside... but he’s on ice?

Maybe for a good reason, like, is training poorly and is unfit and can't get a kick in the scratch matches?

I'm not enamoured in any way with Gardner, but he at least looks lean and fit.

Danjul
08-08-2020, 07:49 AM
Maybe for a good reason, like, is training poorly and is unfit and can't get a kick in the scratch matches?

I'm not enamoured in any way with Gardner, but he at least looks lean and fit.
I can remember being impressed by Lewis Young in his first game. He had 20 possessions and took quite a few overhead marks. I thought “this kid is a real find “. He played then the way we desperately need someone to play now.

If he is training poorly and is unfit and can't get a kick in the scratch matches it is a shocking indictment on the coaches.

This thought should not be entering our heads in professional sports.

This squad is starting to look like where talent goes to die.

Hotdog60
08-08-2020, 08:16 AM
It will be interesting on how JJ bounces back. I'm looking forward to the game so I hope we do well.

G-Mo77
08-08-2020, 09:23 AM
I can remember being impressed by Lewis Young in his first game. He had 20 possessions and took quite a few overhead marks. I thought “this kid is a real find “. He played then the way we desperately need someone to play now.

If he is training poorly and is unfit and can't get a kick in the scratch matches it is a shocking indictment on the coaches.

I think the coach is cooked. I've sat on the fence for a while on this and the credits he has kind of kept me in his corner. They've well and truly dried up now. The baffling selections each week is just icing on the cake on what has been a complete failure from 2017 until current time. 2016 seems like 10 years ago. It has been that bad

G-Mo77
08-08-2020, 09:25 AM
It will be interesting on how JJ bounces back. I'm looking forward to the game so I hope we do well.

I made a comment on this in the game day thread last week. Will it get into his head and go further downhill. I don't think he's been the same since an unknown Sydney player started pushing him around. That has lived in his head ever since I hope last week's disaster doesn't stay in there.

Bulldog4life
08-08-2020, 10:11 AM
In regards to Gardner the Afl has been littered with players struggling big time in their first couple of matches or even seasons and then having good careers. I wish him all the best.

GVGjr
08-08-2020, 11:00 AM
In regards to Gardner the Afl has been littered with players struggling big time in their first couple of matches or even seasons and then having good careers. I wish him all the best.

He's got good height, a bit of pace and is can play a few positions so he was a good addition to our list after a couple of seasons at Geelong and I guess we were hoping we could turn him into another Joel Hamling
With a bit of luck his best football is still to come

Grantysghost
08-08-2020, 11:29 AM
He's got good height, a bit of pace and is can play a few positions so he was a good addition to our list after a couple of seasons at Geelong and I guess we were hoping we could turn him into another Joel Hamling
With a bit of luck his best football is still to come

This. I reckon the flag has corrupted a lot of dogs fans. We always give our players a go, and although there's many valid points amongst the considered opinions on his ability, im more than willing to give him one. A go that is. *ducks again*

bornadog
08-08-2020, 11:42 AM
This. I reckon the flag has corrupted a lot of dogs fans. We always give our players a go, and although there's many valid points amongst the considered opinions on his ability, im more than willing to give him one. A go that is. *ducks again*

An old original WOOFER (SS) use to use the term "the 20 game rule" before deciding whether a player is any good. Gardner has played 4 games, so let's see how he goes. He is 197cm, and only 23 years old, time will tell.

westbulldog
08-08-2020, 12:33 PM
Imo none of the interchange bench currently deserve a game. Gardner might be a good bloke but thus far he is light years away. Player managers should be talking to Lewis Young, Sweet and Greene because they are being wasted and crucified by this match committee who seems to be rolling dice to come up with selections.

Grantysghost
08-08-2020, 12:37 PM
Imo none of the interchange bench currently deserve a game. Gardner might be a good bloke but thus far he is light years away. Player managers should be talking to Lewis Young, Sweet and Greene because they are being wasted and crucified by this match committee who seems to be rolling dice to come up with selections.

I wonder if the club could be a little bit more transparent regarding selections. Seems to be a real pain point for many and maybe they could be better around communication on this front whilst maintaining appropriate secrecy. Maybe just a small column from an assistant or MC member on the website explaining decisions would help bridge the gap. Not sure.

Danjul
08-08-2020, 01:05 PM
An old original WOOFER (SS) use to use the term "the 20 game rule" before deciding whether a player is any good. Gardner has played 4 games, so let's see how he goes. He is 197cm, and only 23 years old, time will tell.
Lewis Young had a much more impressive start to his career, playing the last 7 games of 2017, and quite well.

He then got 2 games in 2018 and 5 games in 2019. 1 this year.

15games in three and a half years. The last 8 have come in ones and twos, not enough to fit into the team.

Will he ever get to 20?

Gardner (good luck to him) seems blessed.

bornadog
08-08-2020, 01:29 PM

Yeah us supporters know better :D

bornadog
08-08-2020, 01:31 PM
Lewis Young had a much more impressive start to his career, playing the last 7 games of 2017, and quite well.

He then got 2 games in 2018 and 5 games in 2019. 1 this year.

15games in three and a half years. The last 8 have come in ones and twos, not enough to fit into the team.

Will he ever get to 20?

Gardner (good luck to him) seems blessed.

Good thing is Lewis is still only 21.

Danjul
08-08-2020, 01:54 PM
Good thing is Lewis is still only 21.That might help him get a better offer elsewhere. I hope someone on the payroll has been whispering good things in his ear, because he would be a significant loss.

jeemak
08-08-2020, 03:07 PM
That might help him get a better offer elsewhere. I hope someone on the payroll has been whispering good things in his ear, because he would be a significant loss.

A significant loss to Footscray it seems!

jeemak
08-08-2020, 03:09 PM

Possibly coaching is a contributor, though he'd probably have to take some responsibility for his own body as well, right?

jazzadogs
08-08-2020, 03:35 PM
I think one of the reasons we struggle to pick our best 22 is because there is such minimal difference between players 15-40 on our list. Almost none of them are consistently at AFL standard and continue to move in and out of the squad as a reflection of this.

Young had a great first few games but has been remarkably inconsistent since then, across VFL and AFL.

I am surprised that Hayes hasn't played at all this year, while Greene has been limited by his injuries and form.

Gardner is still very young and inexperienced. He hasn't shown anything to me to suggest he is up to it, but is obviously performing well on the training track and scratch matches.

Mantis
08-08-2020, 08:30 PM
Gardner is still very young and inexperienced. He hasn't shown anything to me to suggest he is up to it, but is obviously performing well on the training track and scratch matches.

I’m yet to see one trait or piece of play so far that says to me ‘he’s an AFL player’.... maybe I’m not a great judge, but to me he looks miles away.

1eyedog
08-08-2020, 08:36 PM
C'mon Doggies.

Grantysghost
08-08-2020, 08:42 PM
Gardner has Hipwood

chef
08-08-2020, 09:09 PM
Edit.

comrade
08-08-2020, 11:39 PM

So how did we rate his game?

I thought he started ok, but once he conceded a few went into panic mode.

Good on him for making it to the highest level, but just doesn’t have the ability it takes to contribute.

angelopetraglia
08-08-2020, 11:51 PM
Gardner permanently looks in panic mode when defending. I don’t understand what the coaches see in him.

Mantis
08-08-2020, 11:56 PM

Good on him for making it to the highest level, but just doesn’t have the ability it takes to contribute.

It was pretty much what we expected.

It’s been the same whenever we’ve picked any of the ‘head-turning’ selections... our training standards must be terrible if some of our lesser-likes are stand-outs.

angelopetraglia
09-08-2020, 12:18 AM
How does not having VFL football this year impact the development of our squad? I know every team is in the same boat, but it has to have a significant impact on the growth of our players not playing seniors.

jeemak
09-08-2020, 12:22 AM
I think I've seen enough to know he's going to be a player that can handle the pressure at the second level, but once it goes up a notch without the best of defenders around him it's going to be too much at the top level.

We just can't stem the tide during periods of the game and it means we need defenders who are confident enough in their ability to stand strong and he isn't that type of player, and most likely won't be.

He got unlucky here and there tonight, but I've seen enough of him now.

Grantysghost
09-08-2020, 12:26 AM

Hmmm. To be honest I really wanted to see something but he seems to not be ready yet and I wonder why we need a 4 gamer in such an important role.
I see the potential though but slightly concerned we haven't got that position covered.

bornadog
09-08-2020, 11:40 AM
How does not having VFL football this year impact the development of our squad? I know every team is in the same boat, but it has to have a significant impact on the growth of our players not playing seniors.

I think it is a huge impact on the younger players. The scratch matches won't be that fierce, and just a relaxed training run

G-Mo77
09-08-2020, 11:49 AM
I think it is a huge impact on the younger players. The scratch matches won't be that fierce, and just a relaxed training run

Can we please not use it as an excuse though. Everyone is in the same boat and other teams are doing just fine.

bornadog
09-08-2020, 12:03 PM
Can we please not use it as an excuse though. Everyone is in the same boat and other teams are doing just fine.

Not an excuse at all, I am talking about the whole league.

Happy Days
09-08-2020, 12:23 PM

Well I mean everyone is sort of in the same boat, but some teams in the boat are doing the paddling. West Coast getting a week off while other teams play 4 games in 11 days is ridiculous, and have Brisbane even had to leave Queensland yet?

angelopetraglia
09-08-2020, 01:41 PM
It's fantastic that we have footy as a distraction during this pandemic.

There are many aspects that make up the AFL that are not fair and will never be fair. The fixture is never entirely fair. The draft is compromised. Richmond get to play 11 games at the MCG in a row. Collingwood travel interstate once in a blue moon. The Grand Final is always played at the MCG. etc.

However this year is compromised by a factor that we have never ever witnessed before. Living away from home. Training in foreign environments. The normal rituals and routines that make a club tick have been thrown into a tailspin. The advantage of having your normal environment while others are living some new foreign existence is massive.