PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 12 Vs Adelaide 2020

Scraggers
22-07-2020, 03:31 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 11 match against Brisbane for our Round 12, 2020 match against Adelaide Crows at Metricon on Sunday night?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
08-08-2020, 10:33 PM
Bump

China Dog
08-08-2020, 11:08 PM
First win for Adelaide coming up.

chef
08-08-2020, 11:09 PM
First win for Adelaide coming up.

Nope, no chance.

Happy Days
08-08-2020, 11:12 PM
Gardner for Lewis Young is a sitter. I don’t want to make any other changes.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-08-2020, 11:19 PM
Let's get a look at the fringes.

Sweet, Greene and maybe Cav.

Mantis
08-08-2020, 11:27 PM
In - Sweet, Lew.Young, Greene, Cavarra

Out - English & Smith (managed), Gardner, Richards

comrade
08-08-2020, 11:31 PM
Lipinski can’t play next game after some of his efforts.

Out: English, Lipinski, Gardner, Richards, Wood, McLean
In: Sweet, West, Lachie Young, Lewis Young, Cavarra, Greene

Sedat
08-08-2020, 11:52 PM
I reckon Libba looks like he needs a spell to rest his knees - arguably he should have already missed one of the last 3 games. If Hunter is ready, he comes in to get a better balance of inside-outside.

English looks flat as well. He really should have owned McInernay and Eagles but he was especially poor in the crucial 1st half both at stoppages and also in his usual strength around the ground. He did improve both aspects as the match wore on. Perhaps we should try 2 rucks like Port did today. Sweet as the stoppage Lycett type and English as the mobile Ladhams type drifting forward. I'd give Bruce a rest.

Gardiner has done well to get to this level but it is simply beyond him. He needs to be replaced by Trengove or Lewis Young.

Richards and Lipinski both need to be looked at closely as well.

The Doctor
09-08-2020, 12:21 AM
We have close to the worst half forward line in the league at the moment. We are not winning games against quality opposition with McLean, Lipinski, Dale, Richards, Lloyd operating in tandem in that area of the ball park. We need to find a solution there.

English badly needs help.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-08-2020, 12:38 AM
Serious question. If we lose to Adelaide, will you continue to back Bevo? Adelaide are horrific and there is absolutely no excusing losing to them coming off an 8 day break. I’m at the end of my tether with the coaching and playing group but a loss to Adelaide, for mine, means times up for Bevo. Forget finals this season is done for us. Next week is careers on the line.

Grantysghost
09-08-2020, 12:44 AM
Serious question. If we lose to Adelaide, will you continue to back Bevo? Adelaide are horrific and there is absolutely no excusing losing to them coming off an 8 day break. I’m at the end of my tether with the coaching and playing group but a loss to Adelaide, for mine, means times up for Bevo. Forget finals this season is done for us. Next week is careers on the line.

Yikes. Yes I would but I get the angst.

westbulldog
09-08-2020, 12:47 AM
Those who deserve to be dropped won't be, those who should be selected won't be. All confidence in our team's selection process is gone. It is time for our club to make some harsh but necessary decisions on our coaching staff and MC, performances are becoming unacceptable and reputations should count for nil.

Topdog
09-08-2020, 10:27 AM
Those who deserve to be dropped won't be, those who should be selected won't be. All confidence in our team's selection process is gone. It is time for our club to make some harsh but necessary decisions on our coaching staff and MC, performances are becoming unacceptable and reputations should count for nil.

Who are those that deserve to be dropped?
Who and those that should be selected? Why should they be selected?

DOG GOD
09-08-2020, 12:14 PM
I wouldn’t be surprised if Gardiner stayed, and I’m expecting the MC to run English into the ground, so....

In- West
Out- McLean

bulldogsthru&thru
09-08-2020, 12:15 PM
I wouldn’t be surprised if Gardiner stayed, and I’m expecting the MC to run English into the ground, so....

In- West
Out- McLean

English would be close to the earths core judging by last night

bornadog
09-08-2020, 12:21 PM
In: Cavarra, West, Hunter

Out: Richards, Lipiniski, Gardner

Danjul
09-08-2020, 12:30 PM

In- West
Out- McLean

I feel sorry for Gardner .

Last night he was put on an experienced forward, 7 cm taller, who has kicked 6 goals in a game and was getting plentiful entries coming in well.

Last year his opponent kicked as many goals as Naughton.

I don’t understand why he was given that task, or not swapped with Naughton once it was obvious he was in trouble. We just allowed Brisbane goals we could have prevented.

A bit like English, who had an opponent 10kg heavier who was hitting his upper body and keeping his hands from the ball. Again.

bornadog
09-08-2020, 12:35 PM
By the way people the spelling is Gardner

Danjul
09-08-2020, 12:39 PM
By the way people the spelling is Gardner
Sorry

bornadog
09-08-2020, 12:40 PM
Sorry

Mate, not just you.

westbulldog
09-08-2020, 01:11 PM
Who are those that deserve to be dropped?
Who and those that should be selected? Why should they be selected?

My post was a bit tongue in cheek however as you have asked :-
Out
Gardner McLean Dale, Richards
In
Sweet - English needs support and Sweet deserves a chance. English could rest forward which might help the forward line.
Le Young has shown ability forward and back and also deserves a chance, could he be worse than Gardner ? give me a break !
West - has played fairly well imo with limited chances, better forward option atm than those mentioned.
Greene - if not injured also has shown ability. also deserves a chance.

This club is at the point, even in this irregular season where ruthless decisions need to be made or we will roll along aimlessly as we have done since 2016.

You can pick that apart as you will, lets hear what changes you would make.

Mitcha
09-08-2020, 01:19 PM
Out-Gardner
In-Gowers
Just to complete the piss take that is selection 2020.

GVGjr
09-08-2020, 01:30 PM
In: Cavarra, West, Hunter

Out: Richards, Lipiniski, Gardner

I reckon that is around the mark, Perhaps Sweet or Greene get their chance

bornadog
09-08-2020, 01:52 PM
I reckon that is around the mark, Perhaps Sweet or Greene get their chance

I would like to see Sweet play just to give English a break and see if he is up to it. I thought about Greene, but he is also competing against Dale and probably Lloyd.

Danjul
09-08-2020, 02:00 PM
I thought the team played well and saw encouraging signs, but from the first bounce they were never going to win because there were built-in structural weaknesses.

Hipwood is an experienced player. He knows what it’s like to kick six goals. He is an accurate kick, doesn’t need many possessions to hurt the opposition. Who on the Dog’s list is our equivalent? English. Who’s going to win a contest between English and Gardner? English. So we don’t put Gardner on Hipwood. But we did. How did Gardner do? He kept Hipwood to 10 possessions while getting 5.

So what was the relevance to the outcome? Hipwood kicks 5, Lions win by 4.

McInerney is listed as 105 kg. Significantly heavier than English who is obviously wearing down. And he has done his homework. He knows his weight advantage allows him to compete against English by legally hitting the upper body. And he does all game. Result: English tires and our midfielders are impacted exactly as expected. Brisbane benefits in the form of quick goals and easier defence.

How many possessions did McInerney have? About 10. His contributions were based upon ruck work keeping English and our midfielders under pressure. Do we have anyone who can match McInerney’s height and weight? Yes. Did we select them? No.

So what do we do with English? If Hipwood can kick goals why can’t English?

Yes, once again this game was winnable. But two players who got a total of 20 possessions beat us.

Maybe we will do some homework for the Adelaide game.

bornadog
09-08-2020, 02:02 PM
I thought the team played well and saw encouraging signs, but from the first bounce they were never going to win because there were built-in structural weaknesses.

Hipwood is an experienced player. He knows what it’s like to kick six goals. He is an accurate kick, doesn’t need many possessions to hurt the opposition. Who on the Dog’s list is our equivalent? English. Who’s going to win a contest between English and Gardner? English. So we don’t put Gardner on Hipwood. But we did. How did Gardner do? He kept Hipwood to 10 possessions while getting 5.

So what was the relevance to the outcome? Hipwood kicks 5, Lions win by 4.

McInerney is listed as 105 kg. Significantly heavier than English who is obviously wearing down. And he has done his homework. He knows his weight advantage allows him to compete against English by legally hitting the upper body. And he does all game. Result: English tires and our midfielders are impacted exactly as expected. Brisbane benefits in the form of quick goals and easier defence.

How many possessions did McInerney have? About 10. His contributions were based upon ruck work keeping English and our midfielders under pressure. Do we have anyone who can match McInerney’s height and weight? Yes. Did we select them? No.

So what do we do with English? If Hipwood can kick goals why can’t English?

Yes, once again this game was winnable. But two players who got a total of 20 possessions beat us.

Maybe we will do some homework for the Adelaide game.

What changes for next week?

DOG GOD
09-08-2020, 02:06 PM
Mate, not just you.

Sorry, me too.

bornadog
09-08-2020, 02:11 PM
Sorry, me too.

Hey no need to apologise.

Bulldog Revolution
09-08-2020, 02:46 PM
Ins: Sweet, West

Outs: English, Libba

Danjul
09-08-2020, 02:47 PM
What changes for next week?
I know this is a cop out but I have not seen an Adelaide game and know nothing about the players.

Basing a comment purely on what I have seen of our team I don’t think we have too many problems, it’s more how we use them.

Sweet must come in to help English freshen up, but l would keep English in the team. He is better playing limited minutes and while obviously not 100% he was a contributor apart from the ruck. Just have him stand 30m from goal at a 30 degree angle on right hand side . Working with Wallis I would expect 5 goals between them. And Bruce can lead other way.

We need a strong overhead mark on the back line. I would put Naughton there which means Gardner goes. Not a criticism of Gardner but we have to salvage our season.

Dale is not bothering the score board so I would try Greene, Hunter for Richards if he is available.

If Sweet can open up the centre ruck space I would expect Macrae and Bont etc to feed the forwards more centrally like Macrae did did with Wallis early last night. Sweet doesn’t have to win, just not lose as much.

Jeanette54
09-08-2020, 02:56 PM
I am mystified as to why West was dropped from the team, and even more so by the fact he hasn't been given another game.

soupman
09-08-2020, 03:06 PM
If English needs a rest (which it looks like he does, although 8 day break may be enough) can we just give him one? We tried the whole half baked idea of resting him while playing him against Richmond and it was crap. He didn't get a rest, he's been completely cooked ever since, and he was a waste of a selection that game.

If he is fit to play as number 1 ruck then do it, if he is fit and you want to try him as a second ruck and mainly forward do it, but don't half arse it and do the latter and treat is as a rest. That does him no favours.

I can understand playing Bont as a forward for a week to rest him, because Bont at 50% is still better than most of our options. English is not at that level, maybe none of our other players are at that level. English playing at 50% capacity is not worth picking. Just rest him and get him right for the next week.

Danjul
09-08-2020, 03:36 PM
If English needs a rest (which it looks like he does, although 8 day break may be enough) can we just give him one? We tried the whole half baked idea of resting him while playing him against Richmond and it was crap. He didn't get a rest, he's been completely cooked ever since, and he was a waste of a selection that game.

If he is fit to play as number 1 ruck then do it, if he is fit and you want to try him as a second ruck and mainly forward do it, but don't half arse it and do the latter and treat is as a rest. That does him no favours.

I can understand playing Bont as a forward for a week to rest him, because Bont at 50% is still better than most of our options. English is not at that level, maybe none of our other players are at that level. English playing at 50% capacity is not worth picking. Just rest him and get him right for the next week.

Against Richmond English had more possessions than half the team (about 16). Probably the same last night. His bad day is better than a good day for some of the others, especially forwards . Put him at full forward and for him that will be a rest.

soupman
09-08-2020, 03:42 PM
Against Richmond English had more possessions than half the team (about 16). Probably the same last night. His bad day is better than a good day for some of the others, especially forwards . Put him at full forward and for him that will be a rest.

Clearly possessions are not everything. He has had no impact on either occasion, and apart from a couple of decent marks (and many set shots that consistently fade to the right) he has shown nothing to indicate he would be a good full forward while resting there.

If we want to try him as a ruck/forward that's fine, I'm happy to go with that. But can we please not rest him while playing him.

Bullies
09-08-2020, 04:35 PM
B Smith looks like he needs a spell. Judging by the game last night half of them do but Smith does not seem to have the power he had over the past weeks. He is only a second year player but i guess we don't have the reserves to replace these type of players.

GVGjr
09-08-2020, 04:43 PM
I am mystified as to why West was dropped from the team, and even more so by the fact he hasn't been given another game.

Perhaps he is seen as being a little too similar to Wallis at the moment but I thought he was worth sticking with when he got dropped

bornadog
09-08-2020, 05:30 PM
B Smith looks like he needs a spell. Judging by the game last night half of them do but Smith does not seem to have the power he had over the past weeks. He is only a second year player but i guess we don't have the reserves to replace these type of players.

I thought this a few weeks ago.

He seemed to be following Zorko around, or am I imaging it.

Ozza
10-08-2020, 12:01 PM
I thought this a few weeks ago.

He seemed to be following Zorko around, or am I imaging it.

He was on the wing for a large portion with Mitch Robinson following him around.

bornadog
10-08-2020, 12:12 PM
He was on the wing for a large portion with Mitch Robinson following him around.

hard to tell. Mitch played an ordinary game

Ozza
10-08-2020, 12:22 PM
hard to tell. Mitch played an ordinary game

Probably depends whether he was indeed tagging Smith. If he was, then he's had a good game.

The Pie Man
10-08-2020, 12:56 PM
If Hunter is right to go, I'd bring him in for Lipinski. Richards ball use has to get better, but I suspect they (being the MC) will be encouraged with how much he found the pill. He *could've* had a very damaging game.

Adelaide's forward line might not require us to play all of Keath, Cordy & Gardner (will be interesting to see if Walker plays tomorrow night) but maybe we give Ryan another week to see if build on last weekend...….now hear me out. If he didn't hold and give away a couple of frees, was he that far away from a passable game as a key defender? It was his 5th game.

I can see why they want to invest in him, has long reach and competes.

Need to find out if Cavarra can play this forward pocket we're in desperate need for or not.

Axe Man
10-08-2020, 01:06 PM
If Hunter is right to go, I'd bring him in for Lipinski. Richards ball use has to get better, but I suspect they (being the MC) will be encouraged with how much he found the pill. He *could've* had a very damaging game.

Adelaide's forward line might not require us to play all of Keath, Cordy & Gardner (will be interesting to see if Walker plays tomorrow night) but maybe we give Ryan another week to see if build on last weekend...….now hear me out. If he didn't hold and give away a couple of frees, was he that far away from a passable game as a key defender? It was his 5th game.

I can see why they want to invest in him, has long reach and competes.

Need to find out if Cavarra can play this forward pocket we're in desperate need for or not.

The Crows do have a bit of height in their forward line - Walker, Himmelberg, Fogarty and Lynch last game. Only Himmelberg is particularly tall but the others have strength. Gardner a possible matchup for Himmelberg if he plays again.

Bulldog Revolution
10-08-2020, 02:27 PM
Richards ball use has to get better, but I suspect they (being the MC) will be encouraged with how much he found the pill. He *could've* had a very damaging game.

I was pleased with his hardness and general contest work and lots of his decisions in tight - it was a slick handball that released Lipinski for a goal - but the next step seems to be continuing to improve his ball drop and using it to advantage when going inside 50

Mofra
10-08-2020, 02:52 PM
The Crows do have a bit of height in their forward line - Walker, Himmelberg, Fogarty and Lynch last game. Only Himmelberg is particularly tall but the others have strength. Gardner a possible matchup for Himmelberg if he plays again.
I'd rather go a little shorter and play someone who can rebound - Lachie Young in place of Gardiner for example. He's still tall enough to intercept mark and can actually use it when he gets it. We should take the game on and not have a pure stopper back there.

Bulldog Joe
10-08-2020, 03:29 PM
I was pleased with his hardness and general contest work and lots of his decisions in tight - it was a slick handball that released Lipinski for a goal - but the next step seems to be continuing to improve his ball drop and using it to advantage when going inside 50

Richards did seem to be more involved, but a couple of kicks were just deplorable.

Running into 50 on 1 occasion, he had Bailey Dale in about 20 metres of space and proceeded to kick it well over his head to Brisbane. Also highlighted that Dale probably would have been assessed in a better light by the fans if his leads were honoured more.

comrade
10-08-2020, 03:34 PM
Also highlighted that Dale probably would have been assessed in a better light by the fans if his leads were honoured more.

You touch on a good point.

Our shocking kicking into forward 50 is probably why our forwards seem so chaotic/disconnected. You can only be burned so many times before you subconsciously stop leading as hard and as often as possible. Easier to just wait for the high bomb inside and hope to get it when it hits the ground.

And when it does come in fast and direct, you can understand why multiple forwards lead at the same time.

bornadog
10-08-2020, 03:37 PM
Richards did seem to be more involved, but a couple of kicks were just deplorable.

Running into 50 on 1 occasion, he had Bailey Dale in about 20 metres of space and proceeded to kick it well over his head to Brisbane. Also highlighted that Dale probably would have been assessed in a better light by the fans if his leads were honoured more.

Yeah that was a bad decision, stuck out like a sore thumb, but Ed seemingly didn't see him

Axe Man
10-08-2020, 04:00 PM
I'd rather go a little shorter and play someone who can rebound - Lachie Young in place of Gardiner for example. He's still tall enough to intercept mark and can actually use it when he gets it. We should take the game on and not have a pure stopper back there.

I don't disagree, just looking for a reason Gardner could remain. I would be surprised if he made, just doesn't seem to have any standout AFL quality traits, but he wasn't terrible against the Lions.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-08-2020, 04:09 PM
One from left field - given Crozier's out, could we trial Buku?

GVGjr
10-08-2020, 04:11 PM

It would be a great story but there might be more deserving players

Mofra
10-08-2020, 04:20 PM
I don't disagree, just looking for a reason Gardner could remain. I would be surprised if he made, just doesn't seem to have any standout AFL quality traits, but he wasn't terrible against the Lions.
He gave away a bunch of free kicks on the horribly out of form Hipwood out of natural panic when the high ball comes in.
I hope he proves the doubters wrong but it just isn't going to be this year. His temperament at the moment is miles off.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has the Brodie Moles about him, gets nervous and vomits before a game.

Axe Man
10-08-2020, 04:30 PM
He gave away a bunch of free kicks on the horribly out of form Hipwood out of natural panic when the high ball comes in.
I hope he proves the doubters wrong but it just isn't going to be this year. His temperament at the moment is miles off.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has the Brodie Moles about him, gets nervous and vomits before a game.

Again I don't disagree with your assessment of Gardner at all. On the frees - he gave away 3 - 1 hold on Hipwood was no way a free, another definitely was (they both resulted in goals I believe), but I can't recall the third?

Bulldog Revolution
10-08-2020, 04:32 PM

Good call - I think he's right in line to debut over the next few weeks

If you analyse our match review of our scratch match then you'd be thinking

West, Sweet, Cavarra Dickson and Buku will all be under consideration

The Pie Man
10-08-2020, 04:50 PM

I say give him another week, maybe he'll start to feel he belongs and plays those moments better - he won't cost us a game vs the Crows.....if we can't beat Adelaide then we have no business being anywhere near the final 8. They have been as bad as I've seen at this level since the early years of the expansion clubs

Bulldog Joe
10-08-2020, 05:10 PM

Personally felt that Gardner was harshly treated by the umps. How often does that sort of minor jumper holding get ignored, yet Ryan was pinged about 4 times.

Obviously, should have been more aware, but a lot of that is just incidental and does not impact the contest.

Grantysghost
10-08-2020, 05:17 PM
Gardner was OK. Midfield was the issue. Agree a couple of those frees were 50/50.
Blaming a 5th gamer when the core of your team let us down makes little sense to me. And from the reports at the ground he maybe didn't receive the support he needed from other defenders.

Danjul
10-08-2020, 05:35 PM
Personally felt that Gardner was harshly treated by the umps. How often does that sort of minor jumper holding get ignored, yet Ryan was pinged about 4 times.

Obviously, should have been more aware, but a lot of that is just incidental and does not impact the contest.

Cordy had a terrible year on key forwards last year. Many kicked personal bests. Dead silence. Obviously everyone was saving it up for Gardner.

bornadog
10-08-2020, 05:39 PM

They were all there is my opinion. It's not hard, don't pull on the jumper.

Naughton was scragged every time the ball went into tyhe forward line, but no frees as there was a pack around him. Lions stopped him from jumping many times.

bornadog
10-08-2020, 05:40 PM
Cordy had a terrible year on key forwards last year. Many kicked personal bests. Dead silence. Obviously everyone was saving it up for Gardner.

Cordy is not big enough to hold down a true KPP but was asked many times to play tall - just didn't work.

Axe Man
10-08-2020, 05:46 PM

Can't agree, Cordy has copped plenty of heat on here.

Danjul
10-08-2020, 05:47 PM

Naughton was scragged every time the ball went into tyhe forward line, but no frees as there was a pack around him. Lions stopped him from jumping many times.
That was the difference in the forward lines. Their forwards ran away from Hipwood. At times (on the TV) it looked like he and Gardner were the only ones there.

Grantysghost
10-08-2020, 05:49 PM

I thought the one early where he stumbled and headbutted Gardner's arm was very harsh. Defenders need to be able to engage.

Danjul
10-08-2020, 05:50 PM
Cordy is not big enough to hold down a true KPP but was asked many times to play tall - just didn't work.

Is Gardner? He looked significantly shorter than Hipwood. Was he a backman at Footscray? Someone told me he kicked 5 goals in a VFL match.

bornadog
10-08-2020, 05:54 PM
Is Gardner? He looked significantly shorter than Hipwood. Was he a backman at Footscray? Someone told me he kicked 5 goals in a VFL match.

Gardner is 197, Cordy same as Bont 193

Remi Moses
10-08-2020, 05:55 PM
Cordy’s copped it on here
I’m sure nobodies ever been missed
Had a good patch after a dodgy start , but he’s not the number one key back
He’s not strong enough in one on ones .

Mantis
10-08-2020, 06:21 PM
Cordy’s copped it on here
I’m sure nobodies ever been missed
Had a good patch after a dodgy start , but he’s not the number one key back
He’s not strong enough in one on ones .

Can he play the role as number 2 key back?

If he can't then what's his role?

Like our forward line our defence has too many 'like' players and it's effecting our performance.

Grantysghost
10-08-2020, 06:29 PM
Can he play the role as number 2 key back?

If he can't then what's his role?

Like our forward line our defence has too many 'like' players and it's effecting our performance.

Everyone can play anywhere mantra not working?

Happy Days
10-08-2020, 06:34 PM
I’ve thought Cordy’s been really solid since he got back in.

bornadog
10-08-2020, 07:14 PM
When he was dropped he came back firing

G-Mo77
10-08-2020, 07:16 PM

Both I believe Danjul but I'm pretty sure when we drafted him he was playing more forward and didn't we play him forward when he got the call up? Either way he's clearly not up to it and shouldn't be back into the squad. 6 games to try someone else or something different, cut our losses and move forward.

GVGjr
10-08-2020, 07:34 PM

Same here. He seems to have blended in nicely with Keath.

Bulldog4life
11-08-2020, 11:50 AM
Lipinski can’t play next game after some of his efforts.

Out: English, Lipinski, Gardner, Richards, Wood, McLean
In: Sweet, West, Lachie Young, Lewis Young, Cavarra, Greene

I thought Wood played well against Cameron.

comrade
11-08-2020, 12:06 PM
I thought Wood played well against Cameron.

Yeah, defensively he was ok. Gave us nothing in the air or by foot and hasn't for weeks.

The Pie Man
11-08-2020, 12:12 PM
Yeah, defensively he was ok. Gave us nothing in the air or by foot and hasn't for weeks.

His hands have deserted him since the North game. Even in dry conditions.

bornadog
11-08-2020, 12:12 PM

He played a lockdown role on Cameron and kept him goaless.

comrade
11-08-2020, 12:18 PM
He played a lockdown role on Cameron and kept him goaless.

As I said, defensively ok as he wasn't on Cameron all night, with Williams and others sliding across to take him. Completely butchered the ball a few times and misread it in the air which is a recurring issue since his game vs NM.

Ozza
11-08-2020, 12:50 PM
It would be a great story but there might be more deserving players

Being deserving has never gotten in the way of us debuting players that are miles off being AFL ready.

Ozza
11-08-2020, 12:56 PM
Outs: Gardner; Bruce; Richards

Ins: Lew.Young; Schache;West/Hunter

GVGjr
11-08-2020, 01:01 PM
Being deserving has never gotten in the way of us debuting players that are miles off being AFL ready.

True enough.

bornadog
11-08-2020, 01:52 PM
Hunter will play this week

GVGjr
11-08-2020, 02:02 PM
With Hunter back, Naughton getting a game under his belt and Dunkley a couple of games we should be in for a strong performance

Mofra
11-08-2020, 02:22 PM
Hunter will play this week
Massive in. We're starting to look like a team

Scraggers
11-08-2020, 03:02 PM
The thought of trialing a few of the new players or fringe players because we are playing Adelaide is tempting, but I honestly think for confidence we should be at full strength ... put a score on the board and see if we can kick start the season (again).

Otherwise, put the cue in the rack.

Nuggety Back Pocket
11-08-2020, 11:09 PM
Outs: Gardner; Bruce; Richards

Ins: Lew.Young; Schache;West/Hunter
I like your thinking but do you really believe Bevo is willing to drop Bruce even after 10 poor games and one good one against North.
Schache was dropped after one poor game. It will not happen.
Gardner had 3 years at Geelong without playing a senior game and has struggled in the past two seasons with the Dogs. Gowers is a similar case and yet young players like Schache and Lew Young who could well be our future are ignored.
Hunter will be a welcome addition but it doesn’t improve our goal to goal line, where we have struggled in our past 3 defeats.

jeemak
12-08-2020, 12:38 AM
I'd love to see Hunter back for him and for us.

Axe Man
12-08-2020, 10:39 AM
I like your thinking but do you really believe Bevo is willing to drop Bruce even after 10 poor games and one good one against North.
Gardner had 3 years at Geelong without playing a senior game and has struggled in the past two seasons with the Dogs. Gowers is a similar case and yet young players like Schache and Lew Young who could well be our future are ignored.
Hunter will be a welcome addition but it doesn’t improve our goal to goal line, where we have struggled in our past 3 defeats.

There is no correlation between the form of Bruce and Schache. The general consensus is that Schache was dropped for a lack of effort. For all the poor form of Bruce effort is the one thing I can not question. Effort is a non-negotiable, any player displaying poor effort should be dropped no matter who they are. Since he's been dropped Schache has battled concussion and a groin complaint so I'm not sure he's being ignored.

As for Lewis Young we are all puzzled as to why he hasn't had another chance since round 1.

Ozza
12-08-2020, 10:57 AM

No i don't believe it WILL happen, but it is what I would be leaning to. We've created a set of double standards for players within the group. Where, for instance, my three outs are getting treated differently to my suggested 3 ins.

I really like the attributes Richards and Bruce bring. But Richards couldn't hit a barn with his kicking right now, and Bruce can't get a kick. Perhaps Bruce went really dramatically downhill post Schache being dropped. The way they worked together in that game is what I'd like to see our forwards work together.

Very pleased to hear that Hunter may be back. His smarts and ability to be the outlet kick for his team mates helps the overall composure (our composure was dreadful v the lions and we couldn't get any ball control to take some pace out of the game when it was required).

AshMac
12-08-2020, 11:07 AM
Lloyd out West in
Gardner out La Young in

Was either Lloyd or Dale (they’re the same role IMO) out and considering they both wouldn’t recognise a contested ball or a tackle i think we bring some hunger and pressure. Would also love to see Cavarra get another crack - don’t know where he is injury wise.

Gardner wasn’t too bad last week IMO - was unsupported and unlucky w some of the frees hipwood scored. Regardless I don’t see him as a long term player and his impact isn’t going to be any greater than Le or La Young who look longer term prospects. Not sure where Le Young is on the track.

1eyedog
12-08-2020, 11:21 AM
Gardner had 3 years at Geelong without playing a senior game and has struggled in the past two seasons with the Dogs.

Mirroring Hamling's trajectory with the exception that Gardner was played sooner. I'm not saying Gardner is the next Hamling but everyone inside the club obviously sees SOMETHING in him. If we're going to keep playing him then let's keep playing him then.

INS: Hunter, West
OUTS: Bailey Dale. He just doesn't look right or is bereft of confidence at the moment. IMO this is the week to rest Libba.

Axe Man
12-08-2020, 11:32 AM
Gardner stays:eek:

Cordy to miss Crows clash (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/793708/cordy-to-miss-crows-clash?fbclid=IwAR233J6CjVCOG-yZsn2SdDj-BISrgJmNO8HChfE9uvrFacXfg9GQ6lVO_zI)

Key defender Zaine Cordy has been ruled out of Sunday’s match against the Adelaide Crows due to injury.

The 23-year-old picked up a chest muscle injury at training earlier this week.

“Scans have revealed a low-grade strain for Zaine,” medical services manager, Chris Bell, said.

“At this stage, we will look to manage the injury conservatively and anticipate this will sideline Zaine for between two and four weeks.”

comrade
12-08-2020, 11:33 AM
Mirroring Hamling's trajectory with the exception that Gardner was played sooner. I'm not saying Gardner is the next Hamling but everyone inside the club obviously sees SOMETHING in him. If we're going to keep playing him then let's keep playing him then.

INS: Hunter, West
OUTS: Bailey Dale. He just doesn't look right or is bereft of confidence at the moment. IMO this is the week to rest Libba.

You make a good point. If the MC see something in him, which they must if they keep picking him, then have the guts to back the decision and stick with him for the remainder of the year. If it costs us wins, well you live by the sword, you die by it.

Taking him in and out of the team only hampers development and leaves you in the position of not really knowing what sort of player you really have, which we've seen with Lewis Young, Josh Schache, Brad Lynch etc.

1eyedog
12-08-2020, 11:34 AM
Gardner to the Cordy role Lew Young to the Gardner role?

Grantysghost
12-08-2020, 11:49 AM

Would Cordy have taken Ten Goal Tom (Lynch)? Keath to Tex, Gardner to Himmelberg maybe we don’t need a like for like and could just bring in Hunter for Cordy. Actually we need someone for Fogarty. Young, it’s your time. (Trengove a certainty).

Mantis
12-08-2020, 11:49 AM

Who does Gardner play on for the Crows?

DOG GOD
12-08-2020, 11:52 AM
Hopefully not walker

comrade
12-08-2020, 11:53 AM

Seems a good physical match up for Himmelberg. Keath to take Walker. Cordy to Fogerty.

bornadog
12-08-2020, 11:55 AM

Does Buku come in?

I hope it's Lewis

Rocket Science
12-08-2020, 11:56 AM

Assuming Gardner survives, Himmelberg seems the most logical matchup, but according to the coach our defenders don't have opponents so Gardner definitely wasn't playing on Hipwood last week...

Whatever happens, with Zaine out it poses another fascinating exercise in whether Lewis Young comes into consideration.

1eyedog
12-08-2020, 12:02 PM
I'd play him on Fogarty, another young inexperienced player. Himmelberg is way too strong for him in the air and rightly or wrongly we seem to earmark Keath for any role that is deep. I'd bring in Lew Young and play him on Walker who roams up the ground which will suit Young's intercepting ability. Wood on Lynch although gauging by how Wood was played last week he may even go to Stengle.

Axe Man
12-08-2020, 12:02 PM
Would Cordy have taken Ten Goal Tom (Lynch)? Keath to Tex, Gardner to Himmelberg maybe we don’t need a like for like and could just bring in Hunter for Cordy. Actually we need someone for Fogarty. Young, it’s your time. (Trengove a certainty).

Who is a good matchup for Trengove at the Crows, I can't see one?

We could have gotten away with Keath and Gardner if Crozier was fit but I think one of the Youngs needs to come in.
Keath - Tex
Gardner - Himmelberg
Wood & a Young - Lynch & Fogerty. Otherwise you need to get Williams to play on one of these 2.

1eyedog
12-08-2020, 12:06 PM
Himmelberg plays deep and is a very good mark I don't like the idea of Gardner on him. Fogarty leads up the ground and, outside Lynch is the most mobile forward they have. I'd play Gardner on him. Will be interesting.

Bulldog Revolution
12-08-2020, 12:08 PM
Assuming Gardner survives, Himmelberg seems the most logical matchup, but according to the coach our defenders don't have opponents so Gardner definitely wasn't playing on Hipwood last week...

Whatever happens, with Zaine out it poses another fascinating exercise in whether Lewis Young comes into consideration.

I took Bevo saying that more as letting the journalist know he wasnt going to stand by for any targeting of Gardner in the post match presser

bornadog
12-08-2020, 12:08 PM
All I can say is we better not lose this one or this will be me

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b2/79/66/b27966140db68d0621628f2309f8a443.gif

Happy Days
12-08-2020, 12:09 PM
Himmelberg plays deep and is a very good mark I don't like the idea of Gardner on him. Fogarty leads up the ground and, outside Lynch is the most mobile forward they have. I'd play Gardner on him. Will be interesting.

I don't hate that. Getting Gardner away from goal will hopefully get him out of those high ball situations where he's looked terribly shaky, and I think he has the athleticism and workrate to go with Fogarty. I could even live with him on Lynch.

Happy Days
12-08-2020, 12:10 PM
All I can say is we better not lose this one or this will be me

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b2/79/66/b27966140db68d0621628f2309f8a443.gif

Oh yeah if we lose this week the toys are going out of the cot.

1eyedog
12-08-2020, 12:11 PM
I don't hate that. Getting Gardner away from goal will hopefully get him out of those high ball situations where he's looked terribly shaky, and I think he has the athleticism and workrate to go with Fogarty. I could even live with him on Lynch.

Me too especially if we swing Wood to Stengle.

bornadog
12-08-2020, 12:16 PM

Lynch and Dodee both have a Hamstring after last night

Axe Man
12-08-2020, 12:21 PM
Lynch and Dodee both have a Hamstring after last night

That's handy for the back and forward line.

Talia will return but Doedee out will mean one of Bruce/Naughton get McAsey or Hartigan.

Axe Man
12-08-2020, 12:23 PM

That requires Lewis Young to play though (as otherwise it leaves Keath as the only real option for both Tex and Himmelberg) and there's been no indication that will happen. I hope it does though.

Grantysghost
12-08-2020, 12:28 PM
Who is a good matchup for Trengove at the Crows, I can't see one?

We could have gotten away with Keath and Gardner if Crozier was fit but I think one of the Youngs needs to come in.
Keath - Tex
Gardner - Himmelberg
Wood & a Young - Lynch & Fogerty. Otherwise you need to get Williams to play on one of these 2.

Apologies was tongue in cheek, there isn’t an obvious matchup. With Tom Lynch most likely out (low grade hammy) it may cancel out the Cordy injury.

Gardner Himmelberg makes sense as does Keath Tex.
Fogarty I’m not sure about. He’s an interesting matchup.
Williams probably takes Mcadam.
Stengle certainly needs to be accounted for he was dangerous last night. Does Wood do another Cameron role without Crozier?
I don’t know who replaces Cordy. One of the Youngs. Probably going on past will be Lachie.

Grantysghost
12-08-2020, 12:33 PM

Himmelberg was third highest ks covered last night. I didn’t watch entire game but I did see him up on the wing on occasions.

https://i.postimg.cc/9M9kZYnp/2-F7-B09-AC-C022-4-B83-BCC3-4527301-E5-AEA.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

bornadog
12-08-2020, 12:34 PM
Apparently Lewis Young had an injury a couple of weeks ago, no mention by the club, but mentioned before Brisbane game and the reason he didn't play. The plot thickens.

Happy Days
12-08-2020, 12:38 PM
That's handy for the back and forward line.

Talia will return but Doedee out will mean one of Bruce/Naughton get McAsey or Hartigan.

BBQ chicken.

bornadog
12-08-2020, 12:41 PM
Apparently Lewis Young had an injury a couple of weeks ago, no mention by the club, but mentioned before Brisbane game and the reason he didn't play. The plot thickens.

Apparently a small injury that had him miss half a scratch match, but the short days turn around to Brisbane game, kept him out.
Expecting him to play this week.

This is what I have heard

Mantis
12-08-2020, 01:08 PM
Reports on socials that JJ has been injured at training.

Axe Man
12-08-2020, 01:13 PM
Reports on socials that JJ has been injured at training.

Can we go back to 5 day breaks so we don't have a chance to train? Give us an 8 day break and Cordy and JJ break down!

bornadog
12-08-2020, 01:34 PM
Potential big blow for the Bulldogs. Jason Johannisen went down with an ankle injury at training. Was driven away by staff member to get it assessed. Story and pics here @superfooty (https://twitter.com/superfooty)
https://heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-injuries-who-is-hurt-and-who-is-on-the-way-back-for-round-11-and-12/news-story/7cbf12c8f2e330475174aa15dbabf9e2 (https://t.co/3Hv41Ijk0M?amp=1)

I don't have access to the story

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EfL805KU8AEgEIR?format=jpg&name=large

Axe Man
12-08-2020, 01:38 PM
Western Bulldogs star Jason Johannisen has gone down with an ankle injury and left training.

The smooth running defender hurt his right ankle during the Bulldogs’ small group training at Metricon Stadium.

He was in significant pain and immediately limped off where he was attended to by a group of Bulldogs staff members.

He then was driven away from training by a Bulldogs staff member to get scans.

The Bulldogs play Adelaide on Sunday on the Gold Coast with a win required over the struggling Crows to breathe some new life into their season.

They will be without key defender Zaine Cordy, who picked up a chest muscle injury at training earlier this week.

Cordy is set to be sidelined for two to four weeks with the injury.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-injuries-who-is-hurt-and-who-is-on-the-way-back-for-round-11-and-12/news-story/7cbf12c8f2e330475174aa15dbabf9e2)

bornadog
12-08-2020, 01:42 PM
Backline decimated - Cordy, JJ, Crozier

Axe Man
12-08-2020, 01:50 PM
Backline decimated - Cordy, JJ, Crozier

Could Lynch play the JJ role (assuming he is still alive)?

soupman
12-08-2020, 02:05 PM
We briefly discussed him in another thread as a potential Daniel replacement but is it worth sending Richards back?

He offers the pace JJ has to our backline and the straight line running. He has struggled in his current role to both find the ball consistently and execute with his kicks. Could the extra space afforded to him in defence and the manner of which we feed the ball out of the backline help him in both those areas?

dadsgirl16
12-08-2020, 02:05 PM
What about Louis Butler? Doesn’t he run off half back?

1eyedog
12-08-2020, 02:11 PM
We briefly discussed him in another thread as a potential Daniel replacement but is it worth sending Richards back?

He offers the pace JJ has to our backline and the straight line running. He has struggled in his current role to both find the ball consistently and execute with his kicks. Could the extra space afforded to him in defence and the manner of which we feed the ball out of the backline help him in both those areas?

I'm open to Lynch coming in and taking Richards' spot on a wing and moving Richard back to cover for JJ. He's played back enough to understand our system and what his role is. Alternatively, I'm open to playing Vander on a wing and throwing Richards back and not bringing in Lynch at all (although I would like to have another good look at him).

We do lose out forward of centre with Vander playing higher but with Naughton back, Wallis in form and hopefully Hunter back as another link option we shouldn't be further stifling our ridiculously inept avenues to goal.

IMO JJ was ok last week but has stunk it up over the past month so we are really not losing a lot of drive of HB with him out to be honest.

G-Mo77
12-08-2020, 02:34 PM
Apparently a small injury that had him miss half a scratch match, but the short days turn around to Brisbane game, kept him out.
Expecting him to play this week.

This is what I have heard

See this I don't buy, I heard Beveridge say it as well but it makes no sense to me. Lewis Young was selected as an Emergency last week! He was not injured and is not on the injury list

Mofra
12-08-2020, 02:43 PM
We don't really have too many one on one match ups.

Recall Gardiner replaced Crozier - a medium interceptor.
Adelaide are unorganised and we tend to cut the unorganised teams to shreds. I'd lean towards playing an interceptor who can rebound (Le Young) or even giving Khamis a taste.

soupman
12-08-2020, 02:44 PM
I'm open to Lynch coming in and taking Richards' spot on a wing and moving Richard back to cover for JJ. He's played back enough to understand our system and what his role is. Alternatively, I'm open to playing Vander on a wing and throwing Richards back and not bringing in Lynch at all (although I would like to have another good look at him).

We do lose out forward of centre with Vander playing higher but with Naughton back, Wallis in form and hopefully Hunter back as another link option we shouldn't be further stifling our ridiculously inept avenues to goal.

IMO JJ was ok last week but has stunk it up over the past month so we are really not losing a lot of drive of HB with him out to be honest.

Isn't Hunter coming in? There's your wingman.

bulldogsthru&thru
12-08-2020, 03:03 PM
Why is our team so fragile? We've been injury prone for years now

bornadog
12-08-2020, 03:20 PM
See this I don't buy, I heard Beveridge say it as well but it makes no sense to me. Lewis Young was selected as an Emergency last week! He was not injured and is not on the injury list

Yeah, I am not happy with the lack of communication on how, outside of the 22 picked, are not being reported to us. We need a progress report on all players.

I have sent a DM to the communications manager, but I doubt he will respond.

Mofra
12-08-2020, 03:35 PM

Richards has played his best football behind the ball. If Dickson is right to go and we want to put in a natural forward, Richards moving back facilitates that.

1eyedog
12-08-2020, 07:05 PM
Isn't Hunter coming in? There's your wingman.

Yeah exactly.

G-Mo77
12-08-2020, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I am not happy with the lack of communication on how, outside of the 22 picked, are not being reported to us. We need a progress report on all players.

I have sent a DM to the communications manager, but I doubt he will respond.

Let us know if you get something back.

josie
13-08-2020, 02:21 PM
Cordy our for 2 to 4 weeks with chest muscle strain-seems wierd. Hope Lewy Young gets a call up.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-08-2020, 12:14 PM
Given we normally announced debutants early we can probably rule out Khamis getting a game. Hopefully Hunter is in. Cordy and JJ probably get replaced by Butler and Trengove/Young.

Happy Days
14-08-2020, 12:49 PM
Stevo (hi if you're reading) tweeting that Hunter and Smith will play, Gardner to hold his spot and JJ and Vandermeer to miss.

GVGjr
14-08-2020, 12:54 PM
Given we normally announced debutants early we can probably rule out Khamis getting a game. Hopefully Hunter is in. Cordy and JJ probably get replaced by Butler and Trengove/Young.

Good call, we are very proactive at announcing the debutants

Vred
14-08-2020, 01:07 PM
Currently confirmed by the club

Out: Cordy, JJ, Vanders
In: Hunter

Axe Man
14-08-2020, 01:32 PM
Could be one of the slowest sides we've ever put out

Hunter back as Dogs reveal three changes (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/794949?fbclid=IwAR1f65ymoHerC-1SJ2jnuRdoen3PlDGjTRmPIXhmhd_PbCYBxe9eQBHlEA8)

Star midfielder Lachie Hunter will return to AFL football this week, with senior coach Luke Beveridge revealing the Western Bulldogs will make at least three changes for Sunday afternoon’s clash with the Adelaide Crows.

Hunter was the only inclusion confirmed by Beveridge at this stage.

“Lachie trained with the group this morning, he’ll be part of the 22,” Beveridge said.

“This week he seems to have all the bases covered, so he’ll play.

“It’s been a challenge because he’s such an influential player, to have him out of the side. Hopefully we can really get some productivity from him in his role on Sunday.

“We had Lachie lined up to play (last week) but he just had a little bit of an issue with a calf during training and had to ice it after it and we didn’t want to take any risk.

“As part of his journey to get back, we played him in the scratch match… we didn’t want to take that risk after he’d been out for so long into the (AFL) game last week.”

But speedsters Jason Johannisen and Laitham Vandermeer will both miss the game, joining injured key defender Zaine Cordy as outs from last week’s team that played the Brisbane Lions.

Johannisen hasn’t overcome an ankle niggle from Wednesday’s training session, while young gun Vandermeer will be managed.

“(Jason) will miss,” Beveridge said.

“It’s not major, we think he’ll be in line to possibly the play the game following this weekend.

“We’re going to give Laitham a rest.

“There’s too many red flags this week with him to enter into Sunday’s game. It’s a shame, because he’s really added something different to our team, a different dimension, some blistering speed.”

bulldogsthru&thru
14-08-2020, 01:36 PM
I thought 8 days might be enough rest for Latiham. We really will look slow. Fortunately the crows aren't fast.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-08-2020, 01:37 PM
Stevo (hi if you're reading) tweeting that Hunter and Smith will play, Gardner to hold his spot and JJ and Vandermeer to miss.

Which Smith?

The Pie Man
14-08-2020, 01:42 PM
Lachie has a calf niggle, so we think a scratch match is the way to manage it?

Am I misreading that? Far out I hope so

Happy Days
14-08-2020, 01:44 PM
Which Smith?

Bailey. He went in for scans with Vandermeer but must be fine.

Axe Man
14-08-2020, 01:50 PM
Lachie has a calf niggle, so we think a scratch match is the way to manage it?

Am I misreading that? Far out I hope so

I take it as it was a very slight niggle, because he hadn't played for a month they didn't want to risk him in a game but decided he was ok to have a run in the scratch match. I'm happy for the medicos to make calls like that.

Axe Man
14-08-2020, 01:54 PM
This from the AFL website:

Forward Laitham Vandermeer will be rested with some muscle soreness, with Ben Cavarra a chance to replace him after kicking three goals in a scratch match last weekend.

bornadog
14-08-2020, 02:05 PM
Out: JJ, Vandermeer, and who?

In Cavarra, Hunter and ?

G-Mo77
14-08-2020, 02:07 PM

In Cavarra, Hunter and ?

Gowers.

bornadog
14-08-2020, 02:10 PM
Gowers.

Please no.

Axe Man
14-08-2020, 02:22 PM

In Cavarra, Hunter and ?

Cordy out. Hopefully one of the Youngs in.

bornadog
14-08-2020, 02:28 PM
Cordy out. Hopefully one of the Youngs in.

Argh, yes Cordy forgot about him.

Lew Young, come on down

The Pie Man
14-08-2020, 02:53 PM
I take it as it was a very slight niggle, because he hadn't played for a month they didn't want to risk him in a game but decided he was ok to have a run in the scratch match. I'm happy for the medicos to make calls like that.

Well he got through, so yeah - still strange

Grantysghost
14-08-2020, 07:04 PM
Sounds like Cavarra a big chance to replace Vandermeer from press conference.

So I think:

Out: JJ, Cordy, Vandermeer
In : Hunter, Cavarra, A. YOUNG. (Prob Lachie, Hope Lewis).

AshMac
14-08-2020, 07:49 PM
Sounds like Cavarra a big chance to replace Vandermeer from press conference.

So I think:

Out: JJ, Cordy, Vandermeer
In : Hunter, Cavarra, A. YOUNG. (Prob Lachie, Hope Lewis).

Id love a 4 goal game for Cavarra - builds confidence, tables off, never lands

azabob
15-08-2020, 07:26 PM
ROUND 12 TEAM

Western Bulldogs v Adelaide Crows
Sunday 16 August, 1.05pm AEST
Metricon Stadium

B: Easton Wood, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
HB: Bailey Williams, Ryan Gardner, Lachie Hunter
C: Bailey Smith, Jack Macrae, Pat Lipinski
HF: Toby McLean, Marcus Bontempelli, Sam Lloyd
F: Mitch Wallis, Aaron Naughton, Ben Cavarra
Foll: Tim English, Tom Liberatore, Josh Dunkley
Int: Rhylee West, Ed Richards, Bailey Dale, Roarke Smith
Emer: Lewis Young, Cody Weightman, Tory Dickson, Jordon Sweet

IN: Lachie Hunter, Rhylee West, Ben Cavarra, Roarke Smith
OUT: Zaine Cordy (chest), Jason Johannisen (ankle), Josh Bruce (managed), Laitham Vandermeer (managed)

Vred
15-08-2020, 07:28 PM
Bruce our is interesting...

Remi Moses
15-08-2020, 07:32 PM
Would have thought with Doodee out ,Bruce and naughton would have tested Adelaide
Cordy out, would think Lewis or lachie young would have got a look

josie
15-08-2020, 07:32 PM
Bruce looked like he needed a rest for few weeks now. So happy for Cavarra and West. Good to see Hunter back too.

No-Lewy Young for Cordy - baffling.

C’mon Gardner-prove us doubters wrong.

Roarke gets another go-hope he is a good replacement for Vandermeer.

whythelongface
15-08-2020, 07:33 PM
Disappointed Lewis Young didn’t get a run. I don’t see how Gardner is ahead of him.

comrade
15-08-2020, 07:36 PM
I’m not sure how you look at our side and think ‘you know what this side is missing, Roarke Smith’

Need to issue a missing persons alert for Brad Lynch.

Anyway, it is what it is.

azabob
15-08-2020, 07:42 PM
Great to see West back in. Hopefully he stays in for the remainder of the season.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-08-2020, 07:45 PM
Hayesy must be cleaning out the stables..

Remi Moses
15-08-2020, 07:47 PM
I don’t get the selections to be honest
Roarke Smith’s had numerous chances and isn’t up to the level
Neither is Gardner . Glad west and hunter are back

GVGjr
15-08-2020, 07:58 PM
We clearly aren't scared to go into games with small line-ups

Good to see some faith in Gardner. I think we need to give him an extended run to determine if we can work through his nerves
Roarke Smith yo-yo's back into the side which is a bit baffling to me
Jordon Sweet returns to rightful spot on the emergency list. He is very much the central part of our triage group

Cavarra get his chance to impress

You have to wonder where Lewis Young is in the mix, surely we could have tried him forward and I would have thought Lachie Young instead of R.Smith would have been worth considering
Will Hayes must be a mile off the mark

G-Mo77
15-08-2020, 07:58 PM
Disappointed Lewis Young didn’t get a run. I don’t see how Gardner is ahead of him.

He's injured.........apparently.

angelopetraglia
15-08-2020, 08:05 PM
We are going in short. Two big men out. Four mid/small players in.

The Underdog
15-08-2020, 08:08 PM
2020 has been a year of constant change and unrest, but at least I have the constant of being absolutely *!*!*!*!ing mystified by our selection process.

ratsmac
15-08-2020, 08:11 PM
Lewis Young should be playing. He's definitely better than Gardener but that means nothing, but with Cordy and Bruce missing it's a no brainer. Play him forward, if Adelaide's talls are getting on top (of Gardener) swing him back. Puzzling selections to say the least

kruder
15-08-2020, 08:16 PM
We clearly aren't scared to go into games with small line-ups

Good to see some faith in Gardner. I think we need to give him an extended run to determine if we can work through his nerves
Roarke Smith yo-yo's back into the side which is a bit baffling to me
Jordon Sweet returns to rightful spot on the emergency list. He is very much the central part of our triage group

Cavarra get his chance to impress

You have to wonder where Lewis Young is in the mix, surely we could have tried him forward and I would have thought Lachie Young instead of R.Smith would have been worth considering
Will Hayes must be a mile off the mark

We bring La Young in and play him out of position, with JJ and Crozier out it's the perfect chance to play him there, along with Richards.

Bevo brings in Smith instead. It's just baffling.

DOG GOD
15-08-2020, 08:16 PM
Hmm can I change my tip to Adelaide?
I’m lost for words....again by the MC

GVGjr
15-08-2020, 08:17 PM

He's injured.........apparently.

He's on the bench so just not a preferred option at the moment

Mantis
15-08-2020, 08:18 PM
2020 has been a year of constant change and unrest, but at least I have the constant of being absolutely *!*!*!*!ing mystified by our selection process.

Yep... it’s a *!*!*!*!ing shambles.

Bevo is just taking the piss.

DOG GOD
15-08-2020, 08:21 PM
If I was Lewis Young I’d be asking for a trade ASAP (if he hasn’t already) before his career is brought to an end by Bevo’s regime.
It’s beyond a joke now.

Happy Days
15-08-2020, 08:23 PM
Lewis Young is 18 months younger than Gardner.

G-Mo77
15-08-2020, 08:28 PM
Lewis Young is 18 months younger than Gardner.

And twice the player

comrade
15-08-2020, 08:31 PM
And twice the player

Yeah, but can he train?

1eyedog
15-08-2020, 08:31 PM
Oh it's Roarke again. That's nice.

Happy Days
15-08-2020, 08:33 PM
Yeah, but can he train?

How many 16 a side games has he torn to shreds?

jeemak
15-08-2020, 08:45 PM
At what stage as a MC would they say, "you know what, this guy's been shit in the scratch matches, I reckon he's due a run in the seniors"?

Anyway, if you saw yesterday's press conference it was clear Gardner was going to be playing and that the coaching team clearly sees attributes in him they think they can develop. Whether I do is irrelevant, I can't impact it so am not going to worry about it.

Happy seeing Cavarra and West in. Hopefully at least one of these guys takes the opportunity and stakes a claim.

Rocket Science
15-08-2020, 08:52 PM
The remainder of the season's largely a list management exercise so we're clearly hurling plenty of proverbial at the wall and seeing what sticks at this point.

G-Mo77
15-08-2020, 08:53 PM
Yeah, but can he train?

I hear he cuts oranges in perfect quarters. Maybe he doesn't cut them quick enough?

Grantysghost
15-08-2020, 08:56 PM
We probably need some communication regarding Lew Young. Maybe the silence is communication enough. There's no conspiracy here.

Mitcha
15-08-2020, 09:03 PM
Absolute pisstake. Hope English stays upright, doesn't even have Bruce as back up this week.

kruder
15-08-2020, 09:18 PM
Absolute pisstake. Hope English stays upright, doesn't even have Bruce as back up this week.

O’Brien is quite a physical ruckman can run all day will be interesting to see how he goes. I love when we ruck Dunkley ;)

G-Mo77
15-08-2020, 09:20 PM
We probably need some communication regarding Lew Young. Maybe the silence is communication enough. There's no conspiracy here.

It'd be nice but they don't real have to do that. Just wasting lists spots and money year after year on players who'll never get a shot is a bigger worry for mine.

Dry Rot
15-08-2020, 09:38 PM
O’Brien is quite a physical ruckman can run all day will be interesting to see how he goes. I love when we ruck Dunkley ;)

Time to fool everyone and ruck Daniel.

You read it here first.

Bumper Bulldogs
15-08-2020, 10:58 PM
We bring La Young in and play him out of position, with JJ and Crozier out it's the perfect chance to play him there, along with Richards.

Bevo brings in Smith instead. It's just baffling.

They had a good surfing season yesterday. Bingo in the team the next day.

The Doctor
16-08-2020, 06:33 AM
Why not play Dickson?

DOG GOD
16-08-2020, 10:25 AM
Why not play Dickson?

He’s obviously peeved the MC off as much as Lew Young and Hayes.

AshMac
16-08-2020, 10:44 AM
Bruce managed - great call, a fortnight late imo - seems the perfect chance to bring in sweet and give English a spell in the forward line. Wrapped west and cavarra are playing, I'd have liked Lloyd or Dale to also be rested and have brought in sweet.

Hotdog60
16-08-2020, 10:45 AM
Dickson is coming off a quad and with his injury history putting into a match from cold may not do him any favors.
At least in a scratch match he can get some k's in the legs and manage TOG and intensity.
I think he'll get a run soon but I think the MC is treading lightly.

Bulldog4life
16-08-2020, 11:22 AM
We are going in short. Two big men out. Four mid/small players in.

Yep that is a worry for me.

jeemak
16-08-2020, 11:43 AM
Dickson is coming off a quad and with his injury history putting into a match from cold may not do him any favors.
At least in a scratch match he can get some k's in the legs and manage TOG and intensity.
I think he'll get a run soon but I think the MC is treading lightly.

Again, Bevo mentioned in his press conference Friday (or maybe it was Thursday) that Dickson has been managed and is going to come into consideration in the next few weeks.

kruder
16-08-2020, 11:47 AM
Hipwood had 7 touches and 1 goal yesterday:rolleyes:

bulldogsthru&thru
16-08-2020, 11:47 AM
Is this our first day game for the year?

Grantysghost
16-08-2020, 12:01 PM
Yep that is a worry for me.

They have Fogarty and Lynch out so maybe OK.
Theyve brough in two tallish defenders Talia and Kelly (hes not super tall) but Polholke and Murphy aren't tall. So Himmelberg and Walker are their tall forwards we should have cover.

Theyve setup for speed I think, I'm a little concerned in this area, their midfield looks a lot better with Sloane and they get good run from Smith from defence. We need to control the ball and bring the heat when we don't have it. Can't let them overlap.

GVGjr
16-08-2020, 12:05 PM
To be honest I have no problem with the MC giving Gardner another go. It looks like we are committed to him and we don't have enough confidence with the other options. At some stage he needs to repay the faith though

If his line coach has confidence in him and it doesn't work out then the line coach is accountable

The R.Smith promotion is a little harder to work out as there are plenty of other options. I wonder what trait the MC see's in him and what is it that separates him from others on the list?

It's important we get back into the winners list so a lot rides on this game

DOG GOD
16-08-2020, 12:07 PM
Hipwood had 7 touches and 1 goal yesterday:rolleyes:
And that was without Tarrant in the team.

Bullies
16-08-2020, 12:22 PM
Yeah, but can he train? Apparently Lewi can't skateboard or surf so his papers are signed.

Grantysghost
16-08-2020, 12:30 PM
To be honest I have no problem with the MC giving Gardner another go. It looks like we are committed to him and we don't have enough confidence with the other options. At some stage he needs to repay the faith though

If his line coach has confidence in him and it doesn't work out then the line coach is accountable

The R.Smith promotion is a little harder to work out as there are plenty of other options. I wonder what trait the MC see's in him and what is it that separates him from others on the list?

It's important we get back into the winners list so a lot rides on this game

Could Smith inclusion be role based. Has he played as a defensive forward? When I look at crows apart from midfield Brodie Smith is my concern.

The Underdog
16-08-2020, 12:36 PM
Really crossing my fingers for Sweet or Young as a late inclusion. Very uncomfortable with the lack of height options and back up for English. I assume the plan is to beat them with run but jeez we’re really pushing our luck with this line up.

GVGjr
16-08-2020, 01:52 PM
Could Smith inclusion be role based. Has he played as a defensive forward? When I look at crows apart from midfield Brodie Smith is my concern.

Interesting but we added West and Cavarra and I would presume they will be played as forwards so is there room for a lock down forward with Dale, Wallis, McLean and Lloyd also named?
We also have Dickson on the emergency list so I think it means Smith has a defensive or midfield role today