Twodogs
23-07-2020, 12:20 PM
OK tell us what you have learned.

GVGjr
23-07-2020, 10:30 PM
Bump

1eyedog
23-07-2020, 11:05 PM
1. There you go. We just became a side that can win ugly rather than polar opposite results. An important step forward for a young, inexperienced group.

2. Alex Keath vs Hayden Crozier. Who's better? Worthy of a thread of its own.

3. Vandermeer has other things but he has poise and calm in high pressure situations. A worthy finals trait.

Mofra
23-07-2020, 11:13 PM
1. Cheap trades for defenders can be very, very lucrative.

2. The fact we can win ugly with a handful of players who were "carried" tonight is a massive bonus

3. Vandermeer believes he's a best 22 player, and plays like it. Has some real mongrel too.

Testekill
23-07-2020, 11:14 PM
1. We are capable of winning ugly.

2. For all the talk by supposed experts of our defense not being great, they shut out their full forward and kept players like Rankine from taking easy shots. The only Suns forward that won his position was Sexton and he's a bloody good player who doesn't get talked about enough.

3. Keath has to be All Australian this year.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-07-2020, 11:18 PM
1. Keath came to us as an intercept defender... which seemed superfluous to our structure... he's now managed to turn in some very top shelf performances as a lock down.

2. Vandermeer.. he's got some kinks to iron out.. but there's some real gold to be mined.

3. English lost the hitouts convincingly (about 3 and a half to 1 ratio)..yet still had the same hit outs to advantage than Witts... Not a game winning performance, but starting to gap the distance between his worst and his best.....and his best we know is very good. Him lifting the floor on his lesser performances will help us big time going forward.

ledge
23-07-2020, 11:23 PM
Vandemeer reminds me of a very young Johnno.
Weightman was running around in circles but is learning, probably get rested for Lloyd.
Bruce did a lot of bullocking tonight, he is a hard player.

hujsh
23-07-2020, 11:24 PM
1. Keath came to us as an intercept defender... which seemed superfluous to our structure... he's now managed to turn in some very top shelf performances as a lock down.

2. Vandermeer.. he's got some kinks to iron out.. but there's some real gold to be mined.

3. English lost the hitouts convincingly (about 3 and a half to 1 ratio)..yet still had the same hit outs to advantage than Witts... Not a game winning performance, but starting to gap the distance between his worst and his best.....and his best we know is very good. Him lifting the floor on his lesser performances will help us big time going forward.
English has mentioned he struggles against other taller ruckmen and it showed early but I thought he did well in adapting his approach later in the game despite the conditions not suiting him.

Twodogs
23-07-2020, 11:33 PM
Keath. Unbelievable pick up. Has some great qualities
Vandermeer has a lot to work with. He could be quite a player
Bruce wasn't having a good night but still made a difference.

westbulldog
23-07-2020, 11:35 PM
1. Bailey Williams increasingly shows poise and skill in his game.
2. Vandermeer will be a player, I keep saying that.
3. Bruce is unsuited to a game in the wet, didn't get a kick, didn't take a mark and didn't trouble the scoreboard.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-07-2020, 11:39 PM
1. Keathy. Say no more. AA.

2. Libba might be our best user by foot.

3. Williams has improved dramatically.

The bulldog tragician
23-07-2020, 11:46 PM
1. Libba’s importance can’t be overstated. This was his kind of night.

2. I like the chemistry in our backline. They work so hard for each other.

3. Williams has really become an important player. It’s always so good to see a player whose career might go either way finally play to his ability.

jazzadogs
23-07-2020, 11:51 PM
1) We've done very well to get to 5-3 with minimal contributions from Dunkley and Hunter, plus a below-standard season from Bont who has laboured. Add in Naughton's injury, and I would not have been predicting this at the (almost) halfway mark of the season.

2) Keath and Crozier have been amazing trade-ins. Unbelievable games from both of them tonight.

3) I am going to be frustrated by the inconsistent holding the ball decisions, and lack of holding the man, for the rest of the year. It is infuriating watching Bont and Macrae collect the ball one-handed at stoppages because the other arm is being held.

ratsmac
23-07-2020, 11:59 PM
1. We can win a close game again

2. Playing too many young inexperienced players all at once is not good for my in game anxiety. It could of cost us tonight. I understand we need to spread the load this season but we must be careful not to spread it too far.

3. Libba's just might be the best inside mid in the game right now (trying not to use my rwb glasses). And it's not the first time he has held that title

The bulldog tragician
24-07-2020, 12:08 AM
One thing I WISH I could learn...how to post photos on Woof. I attempted to post a humorous photo of myself wearing a Bulldogs mask. It appeared sideways and I had to hastily delete it, thinking who am I to ever criticise players when I can’t get this basic fundamental right.

Twodogs
24-07-2020, 12:13 AM
One thing I WISH I could learn...how to post photos on Woof. I attempted to post a humorous photo of myself wearing a Bulldogs mask. It appeared sideways and I had to hastily delete it, thinking who am I to ever criticise players when I can’t get this basic fundamental right.

Post it. Someone who knows what they are doing (ie, not me, probably BAD) can repost it properly.

whythelongface
24-07-2020, 12:23 AM
1. Bailey Williams increasingly shows poise and skill in his game.
2. Vandermeer will be a player, I keep saying that.
3. Bruce is unsuited to a game in the wet, didn't get a kick, didn't take a mark and didn't trouble the scoreboard.

Bruce was our only tall target for most of the game. He contested, went in hard provided support for his team mates, worked his backside off. He played a real team game and should not be judged on his stats alone. You are right the conditions didn’t suit him but I thought he was terrific.

Ozza
24-07-2020, 12:32 AM
Bruce was our only tall target for most of the game. He contested, went in hard provided support for his team mates, worked his backside off. He played a real team game and should not be judged on his stats alone. You are right the conditions didn’t suit him but I thought he was terrific.

I wouldn't go as far to say terrific, but generally speaking I'm on board with you insofar as his effort was good. Against Carlton I thought Josh's effort and body language was poor, but tonight I felt like he 'got it' that he wouldn't get chances to cash in, so just had to present, bring the ball down...and get some follow up handballs and knock ons. I can cop that. When you have a quite one, keep competing and creating something for others.

SonofScray
24-07-2020, 12:35 AM
I wouldn't go as far to say terrific, but generally speaking I'm on board with you insofar as his effort was good. Against Carlton I thought Josh's effort and body language was poor, but tonight I felt like he 'got it' that he wouldn't get chances to cash in, so just had to present, bring the ball down...and get some follow up handballs and knock ons. I can cop that. When you have a quite one, keep competing and creating something for others.
The stint in the ruck woke him up a bit I think, seemed to compete better once he got in the thick of it there. I think he was poor overall, but he has more to offer. We'll see his best soon enough.

Ozza
24-07-2020, 12:39 AM
The stint in the ruck woke him up a bit I think, seemed to compete better once he got in the thick of it there. I think he was poor overall, but he has more to offer. We'll see his best soon enough.

Good call on the stint in the ruck. Reckon English needed that to gather himself. Tim was noticeably better after a chance for a breather and perhaps time to reassess/get some advice from S King. English was then really important in nullifying Witts' influence and also getting to contest deep in defence to help.

whythelongface
24-07-2020, 12:48 AM

Yeah you are right I probably got a bit carried away!! More trying to emphasise the point that his efforts were team oriented and he did this well.

AshMac
24-07-2020, 08:03 AM
1. A really good win In a tough slog with a number of players down on form
2. Caleb Daniel has to be just about the safest pair of hands in the AFL
3. Got a glimpse of Croziers beast mode and it is delightful to watch

bornadog
24-07-2020, 10:12 AM
1. We can win in the wet
2. I learnt I do not understand when and why HTB is given
3. I can enjoy a tough, contested game even though there aren't many goals kicked.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-07-2020, 10:43 AM
The umpiring, mostly in the last quarter was awful. There were about 4 non htb calls against the suns in their forward 50, but then Libba got pinned when he had no chance to get rid of it in our forward 50. Same with another call on Caleb. Although some players still haven’t clicked on that you need to look like you’re trying to get rid of it. Vanda was an example and he was about to get pinned but luckily Bailey Smith dipped it from his grasp and it was play on. I loved that from Bailey.

There were also horrible non calls on Wallis (in the back), Caleb in a head lock and a blatant throw in Ben King. I never say umpires affect results and it still wouldn’t have but there was some dubious umpiring last night

bornadog
24-07-2020, 10:45 AM
The umpiring, mostly in the last quarter was awful. There were about 4 non htb calls against the suns in their forward 50, but then Libba got pinned when he had no chance to get rid of it in our forward 50. Same with another call on Caleb. Although some players still haven’t clicked on that you need to look like you’re trying to get rid of it. Vanda was an example and he was about to get pinned but luckily Bailey Smith dipped it from his grasp and it was play on. I loved that from Bailey.

There were also horrible non calls on Wallis (in the back), Caleb in a head lock and a blatant throw in Ben King. I never say umpires affect results and it still wouldn’t have but there was some dubious umpiring last night

The thing is umpires are confused too, because HQ doesn't know how to introduce rules and change interpretations, let alone mid season.

westbulldog
24-07-2020, 11:32 AM

Tongue in cheek...if the whole team had those stats they would all be terrific ? :)

Mofra
24-07-2020, 12:17 PM
Tongue in cheek...if the whole team had those stats they would all be terrific ? :)
Yes, because Bruce's opponent was scoreless and that would have been an incredible effort from our defenders...

Remi Moses
24-07-2020, 04:22 PM
3. We needed an ugly scrappy win
2. Our back line was immense
1. Said this last year ( they didn’t win another game after I said this) but Gold Coast will win one before GWS

Remi Moses
24-07-2020, 04:24 PM

Agree entirely. That last quarter officiating was perplexing and we copped the worst of it

Axe Man
24-07-2020, 04:47 PM

Also the sliding one on Suckling, that hasn't been a free to the player that goes to ground for years, was Darren Goldspink umpiring?

GetDimmaBack
24-07-2020, 06:02 PM
Winning ugly can also so be winning beautifully.

Croze is AA

You can jump on a bloke's back, wrap your arms around his throat and still come out with the free...

Twodogs
24-07-2020, 08:20 PM

At one stage in the last quarter Gold Coast were playing basketball in their forward 50. They threw the ball to each other three times in one stretch of play.

You can jump on a bloke's back, wrap your arms around his throat and still come out with the free...

The Bont one? That was an unbelievable decision

whythelongface
24-07-2020, 08:25 PM
At one stage in the last quarter Gold Coast were playing basketball in their forward 50. They threw the ball to each other three times in one stretch of play.

The Bont one? That was an unbelievable decision

Wasn’t one of their goals in the last qtr clearly an incorrect disposal? I mean it was so obvious and the ump was in a position to see it. The other one that really got my goat up was the slide on the far wing which involved Suckling. I was totally gobsmacked when the free was awarded to GC.

Twodogs
24-07-2020, 08:28 PM
Wasn’t one of their goals in the last qtr clearly an incorrect disposal? I mean it was so obvious and the ump was in a position to see it. The other one that really got my goat up was the slide on the far wing which involved Suckling. I was totally gobsmacked when the free was awarded to GC.

There were mystifying decisions all over the shop. But I thought that the worst were some players blatantly throwing/handing the ball to each other.

Bulldog4life
25-07-2020, 02:34 PM
1. Our backline is settled and is gelling together well. The type of backline you need in the finals.

2. I was bumfuzzled by some of the umpiring decisions.

3. Young can kick accurately at goal.