PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 8 vs Gold Coast

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-07-2020, 06:20 PM
This is the round 8, 2020 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Gold Coast is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-07-2020, 11:14 PM
Bankers

1. Croziers 1st Qtr in particular held a very dangerous gold coast at bay.
2. JJ's 3rd Qtr, his dash enabled us to get our game going - and establish a nice lead given the circumstances
3. Williams - he has now crossed a threshold. He's becoming very reliable, and also forcing teams to choose whether to try and negate JJ or Williams.

Anchors

1. Gowers. I get in the absence of VFL games the club has to reward training track form... But he is way off the pace.
2. Alastair Clarkson - as bad as the Saint's umpiring was, this was worse. They just created new HTB category - the not even in proper possession of the ball holding the ball.... There were two in the last, that were just putrid.
3. Bont's goalkicking. It's an issue. He always sprays it right when he's left of the goal post, and spray's it left when he 's on the right.

Ozza
23-07-2020, 11:52 PM
Bankers:

Macrae - enormous. Just untaggable. 7 clearances and leading possession getter with Touk hanging off him.
Crozier - one of the great half back first halves "of all time!"
Easton Wood - enormous in the last quarter where we were vulnerable due to our lack of experience.

Anchors:

Gowers: I'm sure he'll cop a caning. I don't love the pile on...BUT....surely at the end of the game, Billy was immediately delisted and he just gets a real job on the gold coast now.
Selection: Just way too many inexperienced players. Felt very vulnerable with all of Weightman, Porter, Vanda, Young, Richards out there on a wet night. Can handle a couple, but the balance was wrong and that was obvious. Thankfully the experienced heads carried us over the line. Credit to Richards who has been really ordinary, for competing his a$$ off in the last quarter.

A split Banker/Anchor.....Vanda....made poor decisions all night...but late in the game TOTALLY REDEEMED himself with the effort on the wing/half back where he managed to not give away a free or the footy.

The bulldog tragician
23-07-2020, 11:55 PM
Bankers

1. Croziers 1st Qtr in particular held a very dangerous gold coast at bay.
2. JJ's 3rd Qtr, his dash enabled us to get our game going - and establish a nice lead given the circumstances
3. Williams - he has now crossed a threshold. He's becoming very reliable, and also forcing teams to choose whether to try and negate JJ or Williams.

Anchors

1. Gowers. I get in the absence of VFL games the club has to reward training track form... But he is way off the pace.
2. Alastair Clarkson - as bad as the Saint's umpiring was, this was worse. They just created new HTB category - the not even in proper possession of the ball holding the ball.... There were two in the last, that were just putrid.
3. Bont's goalkicking. It's an issue. He always sprays it right when he's left of the goal post, and spray's it left when he 's on the right.

I like your selections there YHF.

Bankers:
The rock solid backline.
The new attacking flair from our backline. With CroZier, JJ, Daniel and Williams, we have a lot of creativity. I think this might be why JJ is having his best season for a while.
Jack Macrae’s appetite for the ball just never ceases to amaze.

Anchors

Oh dear. Billy. There are no words.
No winning forwards (tho Wally continues to compete so well and Lippa has good goal sense)
Too many guys who had less than five or six possessions. Very quiet night for some tonight.

westbulldog
23-07-2020, 11:58 PM
Bankers
The entire backline, including Cordy who I thought did well tonight,worked very cohesively.
Jack Macrae, class and total commitment every week.
Libba, the engine room.

Anchors
HTB decisions, Clarkson has created a monster.
Gowers, enthusiastic but doesn't seem up to it, that turnover in the last minute is the stuff of nightmares.
Suckling and Bruce, no influence at all tonight.

SonofScray
24-07-2020, 12:31 AM
B:
Q2 backline effort. Was the difference. Held back the tide.
Crozier was sensational.
Williams long kicking and safe, but attacking rebound work has been solid.

A:
Lipinski and Dutch errors. Both balanced out by their positive feats.
Bruce just couldn't get going. Some little contests late but he's not giving us much.
Gowers. Enough said.

Ozza
24-07-2020, 12:37 AM
One of the unfortunate aspects was that too much was left to too few, on the cusp of an intensive schedule.

We had the 4 players on the ground that covered the most KM's. Lib, Lippa, Macrae and Bont (and Bont was off for decent periods).
Its a worry that a dozen players carried the rest and we have to play the premiers next before the top of the table and then another flag favourite....but thats how it goes when we're determined to play the youngest side in the history of footy.

I'm still staggered that none of McLean, Dickson or West played (I know West is a baby....but he's body ready and simply better than others), not to mention the others that seemingly have papers stamped.

comrade
24-07-2020, 12:39 AM
One of the unfortunate aspects was that too much was left to too few, on the cusp of an intensive schedule.

We had the 4 players on the ground that covered the most KM's. Lib, Lippa, Macrae and Bont (and Bont was off for decent periods).
Its a worry that a dozen players carried the rest and we have to play the premiers next before the top of the table and then another flag favourite....but thats how it goes when we're determined to play the youngest side in the history of footy.

I'm still staggered that none of McLean, Dickson or West played (I know West is a baby....but he's body ready and simply better than others), not to mention the others that seemingly have papers stamped.

Add Hayes to that mix too.

Ozza
24-07-2020, 12:40 AM
Add Hayes to that mix too.

I'm not Hayes' biggest fan - but this would be the best week to pick him. Covers ground, good speed....we're playing Richmond....and thats their go.

Dry Rot
24-07-2020, 01:12 AM
From a radio call...

Bankers

Crozier as others have described
Vanders 3 on 1 effort late in the game I saw on the highlights
Gowers superb field kicking

Anchors

Lack of a functioning forward line
Questionable second ruck options
English against good ruckmen

Ozza
24-07-2020, 01:28 AM
From a radio call...

Bankers

Crozier as others have described
Vanders 3 on 1 effort late in the game I saw on the highlights
Gowers superb field kicking

Anchors

Lack of a functioning forward line
Questionable second ruck options
English against good ruckmen

Wow, 2 x ruck criticisms on the ruck.

At absolute worst, it was a nil all draw with the ruck having no discernible impact on the result.

Dry Rot
24-07-2020, 01:30 AM
Wow, 2 x ruck criticisms on the ruck.

At absolute worst, it was a nil all draw with the ruck having no discernible impact on the result.

My take from a radio call. Quite possibly wrong.

Why I don't post much post game if I can't watch it.

ratsmac
24-07-2020, 07:57 AM
Bankers

1. Macrae. What a special player he is. Opponents try to tag him and he just keeps getting the ball. Even when they try get in his head he just looks at them with no response, he just extracts the ball from the next contest.... well that's his response. He's a jet.

2. Crozier. He was enormous in the first half. He killed so many of there forward entries.

3. Team effort. It was a grind and we pushed it for 4 quarters. We had a few new blokes playing that struggled to get into the game but everyone still gave enough of themselves to muster the win in the end.

Anchors

1. Set shot goal kicking. Gold Coast players seemed to take most of their opportunities. We fluffed (*!*!*!*!ed up) ours. We mustn't practice it.

2. Sorry Mr Gowers but football involves skill and knowledge and you showed that you have neither. Gowers stunk it up tonight. I was hoping he'd prove all the haters wrong.

3. Stupid umpiring. The umps don't know the rules I'm sure of it.

Bullies
24-07-2020, 08:09 AM
Bankers
The entire backline, including Cordy who I thought did well tonight,worked very cohesively.
Jack Macrae, class and total commitment every week.
Libba, the engine room.

Anchors
HTB decisions, Clarkson has created a monster.
Gowers, enthusiastic but doesn't seem up to it, that turnover in the last minute is the stuff of nightmares.
Suckling and Bruce, no influence at all tonight. Agree. The other defenders got all the credit which was well deserved but Cordy also held his own. Some only seem to mention Cordy when he has a bad one. Having Keath this year means he no longer gets the number one forward.

Vred
24-07-2020, 09:16 AM
Good
1. Mens Department stood up and stood tall
2. JJ's run and dash off half back opening up the game in the second half
3. Libba. I'll never stop loving Libba and his clearance work is just god-tier elite.

Bad
1. Billy Gowers, no words.
2. Bruce, no kicks for the entire game, not entirely sure where to go with him but hopefully he gets up again in better weather football
3. Our match selection committee for going with Billy Gowers

Mofra
24-07-2020, 09:41 AM
Bankers

Trades - Bruce (effort, structure), Crozier, Keath - not a first rounder used
Daniel's ball use - he made it look dry
Bont's marking - overhead he made it look dry

Anchors

Bont's goal-kicking. It's not the yips, it's diabolical.
Forwardline - we really need a second marking option. Bruce is on a hiding to nothing out there
Our "shoe-horns". I like Lachie Young but he's not a wingman nor forward.

bornadog
24-07-2020, 10:07 AM
Bankers

1. Libba's Stoppage work
2. The whole backline were solid and unbreachable - fantastic defending especially in the second and last quarters
3. Bevo for his coaching brilliance and his confidence in players with little experience

Anchors

1. The Bont - can forgive him if he played injured, but 20 disposals at 35% efficiency was very poor.
2. The umpires department who have changed the rules during the season. Prior opportunity is still a rule last time I checked the rule book.
3. Foxfooty commentators for carrying on about the goal and whether it was touched. GC player already said to the umpire he didn't touch it, but they had to check and Foxfooty had to carry on about it showing the replay over and over.

EasternWest
24-07-2020, 12:54 PM
3. Foxfooty commentators for carrying on about the goal and whether it was touched. GC player already said to the umpire he didn't touch it, but they had to check and Foxfooty had to carry on about it showing the replay over and over.

That was weird wasn't it?

If he'd touched it he'd be waving his hand about and trying to get it reviewed, but he didn't react at all. That should be a sign enough.

But then to take it a step further when he appears to say to the umpire "I didn't touch it", well that's the end of it.

Don't know why they kept going over it.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-07-2020, 01:05 PM
That was weird wasn't it?

If he'd touched it he'd be waving his hand about and trying to get it reviewed, but he didn't react at all. That should be a sign enough.

But then to take it a step further when he appears to say to the umpire "I didn't touch it", well that's the end of it.

Don't know why they kept going over it.

I really can't stand Dwayne, he's a GC fanboy and bloody irritating to listen to.

bornadog
24-07-2020, 03:46 PM
I really can't stand Dwayne, he's a GC fanboy and bloody irritating to listen to.

All they talked about the whole broadcast was GC.

Remi Moses
24-07-2020, 04:13 PM
Good
Crozier - Kept us in the game in the first half as did the defense
Macrae - incredibly consistent
JJ great third term

Bad
1. Billy billy billy
2. Bruce , has to do more although not a great night for bigs
3. The holding the ba rule is in crisis . Thanks clarkson

merantau
24-07-2020, 06:21 PM
Bankers
1. The defence
2. The blokes who took their chances and GOALED!
3. Gutzing it out in the last 10 minutes

Anchors
1. Those who missed chances to goal
2. The radio commentary was biased, hokey and horrible
3. The htb rule is risible.

Remi Moses
24-07-2020, 06:27 PM
The commentary is dreadful
I can’t hear Brown ( which is a godsend ) that husky voice is inaudible
Derwaaaaayne yuk ! Riewoldt is ok

bornadog
24-07-2020, 06:36 PM
The commentary is dreadful
I can’t hear Brown ( which is a godsend ) that husky voice is inaudible
Derwaaaaayne yuk ! Riewoldt is ok

Can't stand Lynch

ratsmac
24-07-2020, 06:43 PM

All they talked about the whole broadcast was GC.

Rankine kicked the best ever 30 metre slight angle set shot in the history of AFL/VFL according to the way these guys gushed over it.

comrade
24-07-2020, 06:44 PM
I liked when they hyped up Rankine's late miss..."that might actually be a smart point, he wants to go for the win not the draw" or some rubbish.

Sycophants.

Sedat
24-07-2020, 09:58 PM
He's annoying as hell, but give me 1,000 shake & bakes from Dwayne Pipe over the sheer dross and unwatchable ineptitude that Ch 7 dishes up every week.

Sedat
24-07-2020, 10:03 PM
I liked when they hyped up Rankine's late miss..."that might actually be a smart point, he wants to go for the win not the draw" or some rubbish.

Sycophants.
The commentators are trying really hard to make Rankine unlikeable with their sycophantic garbage, but it's not going to work. He is already my favourite non-Bulldog player to watch, and I'm very happy he kicked 1.4 last night - hopefully he kicks 6.0 next week against GWS. We actually played him very well last night with JJ and Wood combining.

Bulldog4life
25-07-2020, 02:27 PM
The commentators are trying really hard to make Rankine unlikeable with their sycophantic garbage, but it's not going to work. He is already my favourite non-Bulldog player to watch, and I'm very happy he kicked 1.4 last night - hopefully he kicks 6.0 next week against GWS. We actually played him very well last night with JJ and Wood combining.

In his interview he came across as a young guy who "might" get ahead of himself.

Jeanette54
26-07-2020, 07:58 PM
One big banker. We won in conditions that do not normally suit us. Our high possession, precise game is more applicable to the conditions usually found under the roof at Marvel. The grounds we are forced to use during the pandemic are not ideal for us, but the boys are learning to win in less suitable circumstances. Its just got to be good for our future endeavours.

Dancin' Douggy
26-07-2020, 09:51 PM
In his interview he came across as a young guy who "might" get ahead of himself.

Nice one BDL. Very dry.