PDA

View Full Version : In praise of Jackson Macrae

The bulldog tragician
27-07-2020, 06:01 PM
150 games this week for a bloke who flies under the radar but such an important player for us. His game on the weekend was quintessentially Macrae. An absolute gun.

A couple of years ago when Stringer was traded I wrote this article about the differing careers and personalities of the two blokes who were drafted together: The story of Jack and Jake. Many people have told me how much they liked this one so it might be worth a trip down memory lane.

http://www.bulldogtragician.com/the-tragician-blog/the-story-of-jack-and-jake

Congratulations to Jack and thanks ALWAYS for that goal in 2016.

Remi Moses
27-07-2020, 06:02 PM
What a gun
Incredibly underrated in the comp

bornadog
27-07-2020, 06:12 PM
Thanks TBT - 150 games have really crept up. Macrae is an absolute gun and I would have him 100 more than Jake.

As Remi mentioned, he is so underrated, but then he was AA last year.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-07-2020, 06:13 PM
Absolute gun. Criminally underrated, even by some of our own supporters. I believe should have won a B&F by now. Just so consistent and reliable. He's rarely injured *touches wood* but it'd be interesting to see how we fare without him. I feel he is one of our most important players.

Grantysghost
27-07-2020, 06:24 PM
Agree with all above, he deserves all the adulation and praise we can muster absolute warrior for our team; a rarely humble hero.
Let's bring home the four points for a premiership superstar.

Happy Days
27-07-2020, 06:27 PM
A lot of the criticism we’re hearing about Sam Walsh now has been levelled at Macrae, and has probably damaged his standing both in the general public and evidently before All Australian selectors. Another player that Brendan McCartney put a lot of effort into trying to get the least out of as well. But Jack has been a superstar for a long time despite what some would have you believe.

Average players simply don’t have 33 touches in a Grand Final, or have games of 43 disposals with multiple goals before they turn 20. What a great player he’s been and he’s not even halfway done yet.

Happy Days
27-07-2020, 06:29 PM
Also he’s probably indirectly responsible for turning the entire club around when he politely informed Matthew Boyd that he was not, in fact, Nathan Buckley and it might behoove him to try and hit a target once in a while.

Rocket Science
27-07-2020, 06:49 PM
Do we boast a more consistent, high-level match day performer over the last five years?

No. The answer's no.

Jacko's a dead set machine and his ability to roll up every week and get it done during a span when our collective output has been maddeningly inconsistent just makes you doubly grateful for *in my best Luke Darcy voice* the way he goes about it.

Rolled gold stud. Underrated? Who dare underrate this bloke any more?

Let's go another 150 please Jacko and sneak a couple more flags for your efforts.

josie
27-07-2020, 07:00 PM
Yep-Jack Macrae is a keeper.

Good article Bulldog Tragician-well worth a re-read.

AshMac
27-07-2020, 07:57 PM
thanks Jacko. absolute superstar and humble as they come.

I remember listening to him on SEN as Stringer was being traded and they spoke of the sliding doors of their two paths. he basically called out they had very different lives and the pressures on both of them were very different and he empathised that the pressure of kids and his home life wasnt something he knew enough about to comment on - pretty mature for a 23 year old.

i still find it funny he is called the most underrated player by people who "dont support the dogs" - i think that should be rebadged as people who "dont really know footy" because anyone that does wholeheartedly rates him from my interactions.

jeemak
27-07-2020, 08:27 PM
A lot of the criticism we’re hearing about Sam Walsh now has been levelled at Macrae, and has probably damaged his standing both in the general public and evidently before All Australian selectors. Another player that Brendan McCartney put a lot of effort into trying to get the least out of as well. But Jack has been a superstar for a long time despite what some would have you believe.

Average players simply don’t have 33 touches in a Grand Final, or have games of 43 disposals with multiple goals before they turn 20. What a great player he’s been and he’s not even halfway done yet.

What do you mean by this?

jeemak
27-07-2020, 08:29 PM
Also he’s probably indirectly responsible for turning the entire club around when he politely informed Matthew Boyd that he was not, in fact, Nathan Buckley and it might behoove him to try and hit a target once in a while.

I vaguely remember something along these lines, what actually happened?

Eastdog
27-07-2020, 08:29 PM
What a great player. Goes under the radar. Just works so hard in that midfield. He is a major part of the engine room.

ratsmac
27-07-2020, 09:02 PM
Great piece TBT

The irony I suppose is that Jack is widely known as being "underrated" by everyone which actually makes him "rated"

EasternWest
27-07-2020, 09:23 PM
Jet. Way tougher than he looks too.

Happy Days
27-07-2020, 10:48 PM
What do you mean by this?

Recall him favouring senior players in the middle over younger guys when it was painfully obvious what direction we should’ve been moving in. Was a big reason McCartney ended up leaving.

I vaguely remember something along these lines, what actually happened?

Somewhere in amongst the crisis meetings around the end of 2014 apparently Jack had a go at him for his selfish play style. Must’ve resonated with Boyd because he was pretty great from then on.

whythelongface
28-07-2020, 12:34 AM
Wonderful footballer who just goes about his job week in/ week out. He has an amazing ability to win the footy in packs and his hands are amazing. My 8 year old son loves Jack and is imitating him by trying the look away over the shoulder handball.

Has anyone had the pleasure of meeting Jack? Seems like a humble and well mannered young man. His family must be proud.

comrade
28-07-2020, 08:24 AM
This quote about Sergio Busquets can easily be applied to Jackson Macrae:

"You watch the game, you don’t see Busquets. You watch Busquets, you see the whole game.”

Unassuming, looks like an accounting graduate, yet tough as nails and critical to our chances.

Ozza
28-07-2020, 10:39 AM
Is quietly on the path to becoming a Bulldog great.

Since game number 55 - he has had just two matches where he has had less than 20 possessions. One was v Port Adelaide when he got injured during. The other v the Saints this year where he had 18 and a goal. So a staggering 92 from 94 games of 20 possessions or more during that time. My point is, he turns up every week. Whether he is being tagged, or whether he has a role matching up on someone like Cripps, he just goes about his business and gets it done. So often the outlet kick for his team mates, as much as he wins the footy inside.

Incredible to think that off a 5 week injury he put together the month he did in 2016. With 24 v West Coast, 39 v Hawks, 25 and the most important goal in Bulldogs history v the Giants and then a 33 possession (14 contested) grand final.

Has had 40 possessions or more 8 times. For context, Scott West had 40 or more 4 times.

Turns 26 next week. Hope we get a good 6-8 years more from Jacko.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-07-2020, 12:02 PM
Is quietly on the path to becoming a Bulldog great.

Since game number 55 - he has had just two matches where he has had less than 20 possessions. One was v Port Adelaide when he got injured during. The other v the Saints this year where he had 18 and a goal. So a staggering 92 from 94 games of 20 possessions or more during that time. My point is, he turns up every week. Whether he is being tagged, or whether he has a role matching up on someone like Cripps, he just goes about his business and gets it done. So often the outlet kick for his team mates, as much as he wins the footy inside.

Incredible to think that off a 5 week injury he put together the month he did in 2016. With 24 v West Coast, 39 v Hawks, 25 and the most important goal in Bulldogs history v the Giants and then a 33 possession (14 contested) grand final.

Has had 40 possessions or more 8 times. For context, Scott West had 40 or more 4 times.

Turns 26 next week. Hope we get a good 6-8 years more from Jacko.

Some incredible stats here.

He's been a warrior, capable of gritting it out at the bottom of a pack and finding space on the outside. Not sure I've ever seen a more consistent player - maybe Scotty West? - it's a bit of a shame he hasn't won a B&F because it's been well deserved.

Axe Man
28-07-2020, 12:17 PM
I love his vision and ability to work the angles and hit kicks across his body, not an easy thing to do with accuracy.

He must be a big chance of finally taking home the B&F this year. Bont hasn't quite hit the heights, perhaps Bailey Smith might be his strongest competition, although Jack is probably a better chance of maintaining the rage throughout the season than a second year player.

How underrated he is can be demonstrated by our votes v Gold Coast last week. BOG for mine and both Bevo and Dew agreed. Quite a few posters couldn't fit him in the top 4 (please note this is not a pot shot at anybodies votes, we all see it differently, but you're wrong ;)).

Mofra
28-07-2020, 01:18 PM
He still hold the record as the youngest player to have a 40+ possession game IIRC - he was 19 and he had 43 touches (and two goals!) in a game against Gold Coast, away game too.

What he has added to his game in the past couple of years is the willingness to "take a hit" when he disposes of the ball so the opposition can't outnumber the next ball carrier. It's 'very good teammate' stuff.

ratsmac
28-07-2020, 06:53 PM
I love his vision and ability to work the angles and hit kicks across his body, not an easy thing to do with accuracy.

He must be a big chance of finally taking home the B&F this year. Bont hasn't quite hit the heights, perhaps Bailey Smith might be his strongest competition, although Jack is probably a better chance of maintaining the rage throughout the season than a second year player.

How underrated he is can be demonstrated by our votes v Gold Coast last week. BOG for mine and both Bevo and Dew agreed. Quite a few posters couldn't fit him in the top 4 (please note this is not a pot shot at anybodies votes, we all see it differently, but you're wrong ;)).

He certainly got my 4 votes

Bulldog Joe
28-07-2020, 08:37 PM
He still hold the record as the youngest player to have a 40+ possession game IIRC - he was 19 and he had 43 touches (and two goals!) in a game against Gold Coast, away game too.

What he has added to his game in the past couple of years is the willingness to "take a hit" when he disposes of the ball so the opposition can't outnumber the next ball carrier. It's 'very good teammate' stuff.

Cairns should not be considered an away game for Jack particularly and it was actually our home game.

We have the best win/loss record possible at that ground (100%) and Jack Macrae seemed more at home there than anywhere.

1eyedog
28-07-2020, 08:43 PM
I've got a considered Essington mate who loves Jack Macrae. Says he'd be more important to Essington than the Bont would be.

Sedat
28-07-2020, 09:02 PM
I've got a considered Essington mate who loves Jack Macrae. Says he'd be more important to Essington than the Bont would be.
He's far too big to play for Essendon. They only draft midget mids.

jeemak
28-07-2020, 10:18 PM
Recall him favouring senior players in the middle over younger guys when it was painfully obvious what direction we should’ve been moving in. Was a big reason McCartney ended up leaving.

Somewhere in amongst the crisis meetings around the end of 2014 apparently Jack had a go at him for his selfish play style. Must’ve resonated with Boyd because he was pretty great from then on.

Hmmmm, not sure about the first point, though I'll take your word for it.

However, my recollection was many of the senior players had their noses out of joint in lieu of being asked to do things and play in positions they weren't comfortable with. Aside from a glaring instance where Bmac suggested Jacko was lucky to be playing (which resulted in Jacko coming out and getting dropped and then coming back into the side and accumulating over 40 touches and kicking a couple, then saying he deserved to be dropped and was better for it) after an ordinary game, Bmac was actually really supportive of the younger players.

As for the second point, with Boyd mopping up and playing behind the footy rather than at the coal face and hacking the footy from contests after Bevo arrived that problem kind of disappeared.

hujsh
28-07-2020, 10:53 PM
Hmmmm, not sure about the first point, though I'll take your word for it.

However, my recollection was many of the senior players had their noses out of joint in lieu of being asked to do things and play in positions they weren't comfortable with. Aside from a glaring instance where Bmac suggested Jacko was lucky to be playing (which resulted in Jacko coming out and getting dropped and then coming back into the side and accumulating over 40 touches and kicking a couple, then saying he deserved to be dropped and was better for it) after an ordinary game, Bmac was actually really supportive of the younger players.

As for the second point, with Boyd mopping up and playing behind the footy rather than at the coal face and hacking the footy from contests after Bevo arrived that problem kind of disappeared.

Oh... Boyd wishes he could attribute his kicking to hacking it from a contest. He was over ambition personified for a while there

HOSE B ROMERO
29-07-2020, 07:52 PM
Smooth but deadly. Here's to another 150 Jack Mac.

bornadog
29-07-2020, 10:54 PM
Absolute star

Ozza
29-07-2020, 10:55 PM
We let him down tonight. As always, he didn't let us down.

SonofScray
29-07-2020, 10:58 PM
He and Libba are the only midfielders who look like they are going to make things happen. Macrae is very consistent and rarely beaten.
Smith too, maybe, but in a different sense.

comrade
29-07-2020, 11:17 PM
Massive heart.

bornadog
29-07-2020, 11:41 PM
He and Libba are the only midfielders who look like they are going to make things happen. Macrae is very consistent and rarely beaten.
Smith too, maybe, but in a different sense.

You can forgive Smith at just 19 years of age

Sedat
30-07-2020, 12:22 AM
Our most bankable player week in week out, which is a precious and rare commodity in our playing group.

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-07-2020, 12:36 AM
An excellent performance by Macrae in a standout performance with 37 possessions.
Is there a more consistent player in the AFL at the moment? A shining light in a dismal performance.

merantau
30-07-2020, 08:31 AM
He gives his all, ALL the time. Great player.

GVGjr
30-07-2020, 09:01 AM
He gives his all, ALL the time. Great player.

Agreed, he some limitations with his kicking but he shows up to play every week. I really rate him

Ozza
08-09-2020, 01:58 PM
In Macrae's last 100 games, he has only missed getting 20+ possessions twice. Once v Port when he got injured and only played a half, and the other earlier this year v Saints he was kept to 18.

Extraordinary consistency.

A few other current streaks for Jacko;

10+ handballs in a game - 45 consecutive
3 x i50's - 13 consecutive. Unfortunately the run of 3+ inside 50s have only resulted in a total of 4 goal assists, which is an area for improvement.

Over his career Jacko averages just under 28 possessions per game (slightly higher in finals), and gets 30+ 43.23% of the time, which is behind only Tom Mitchell and Matt Crouch for current players.

bornadog
17-05-2021, 11:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E1kKtfpUYAImXeA?format=jpg&name=large

jeemak
17-05-2021, 11:20 PM
Finally getting some consistency in his game.....

jeemak
17-05-2021, 11:21 PM
Loved his kick inboard to set up the switch across to Roarke and hit to JJ running into the forward fifty. At that stage in the game others would have kicked it high around the corner and down the line.......but Jacko as usual kept his cool.

Bulldog4life
18-05-2021, 12:38 PM
Before round 9 only one other player had 30 possessions in the first 8 games of a season besides Jacko. David Thorpe. Not sure how Thorpe went in his 9th game.

GVGjr
18-05-2021, 12:51 PM
He's had an incredible season. I'd say he is still improving

Bulldog4life
18-05-2021, 01:00 PM

Such an important player for us G and so durable. Love watching Jacko do his magic.

Sedat
18-05-2021, 01:30 PM

His field kicking has improved significantly year on year, and when you get it 30+ times every single week that can only be a good thing.

GVGjr
18-05-2021, 01:35 PM
His field kicking has improved significantly year on year, and when you get it 30+ times every single week that can only be a good thing.

I also seem to be thinking that I've seen him in the last line of defense a number of times as well so he is covering the ground better than ever.

Happy Days
18-05-2021, 01:45 PM
Yeah +1 to his field kicking being significantly improved, especially at spotting targets i50. All those infuriating years of him refusing to take shots at goal are finally paying off I guess.

bornadog
18-05-2021, 02:10 PM
Yeah +1 to his field kicking being significantly improved, especially at spotting targets i50. All those infuriating years of him refusing to take shots at goal are finally paying off I guess.

Still like to see him take those shots when he can

Jeanette54
18-05-2021, 03:29 PM
Before round 9 only one other player had 30 possessions in the first 8 games of a season besides Jacko. David Thorpe. Not sure how Thorpe went in his 9th game.

I bet Jacko hasn't whacked as many opposition players in his whole career ad Thorpie did in those eight rounds. When Simon Atkins reportedly asked David how to deal with a tag, Thorpie simply said, "Belt ém".

bornadog
07-06-2021, 01:37 PM
Jack Macrae disposals in his past 24 matches featuring 20-minute quarters…

jeemak
07-06-2021, 02:00 PM
Serious numbers there.

I wonder what the tackle count looks like, and how his tackles per disposal is compared to defencive midfielders.

bornadog
07-06-2021, 02:02 PM
Serious numbers there.

I wonder what the tackle count looks like, and how his tackles per disposal is compared to defencive midfielders.

Averaging around 5 tackles per game this year

Grantysghost
07-06-2021, 02:27 PM
Serious numbers there.

Against the Steele standard. (2021)

https://i.postimg.cc/mZdVHZ0W/Screenshot-20210607-132630-AFL.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Z0drkmbw)

Twodogs
07-06-2021, 02:41 PM
The Jack comparison.

SquirrelGrip
07-06-2021, 02:51 PM
The Jack comparison.

The Jack-off?

Happy Days
07-06-2021, 02:58 PM
Yeah tackles are cool but Macrae is sixth in the AFL for score involvements (Steele is 42nd) and first for goal assists (Steele is outside the top 75).

Not bad for an accumulator with no hurt factor.

Topdog
07-06-2021, 03:19 PM
Yeah tackles are cool but Macrae is sixth in the AFL for score involvements (Steele is 42nd) and first for goal assists (Steele is outside the top 75).

Yeah he has transformed himself this year with those 25-35m kicks into the F50 this year.

That round the body kick last night to Cody I think was superb.

Grantysghost
07-06-2021, 03:29 PM

Preaching to the choir. That was just to show his tackles aren't that far off the guy who does it as his 1 wood and is the league leader outside Hugh Greenwood (?).

As you rightly say Jacko has a far more balanced game.

Can we compare public speaking in the jack-off?

1eyedog
07-06-2021, 03:33 PM
Awesome player. In my opinion he'd leave a bigger hole than Dunkley or Treloar, but such is his durability we've never really felt the affects of his absence. A fantastic value for money pick.

jazzadogs
07-06-2021, 04:07 PM
Preaching to the choir. That was just to show his tackles aren't that far off the guy who does it as his 1 wood and is the league leader outside Hugh Greenwood (?).

As you rightly say Jacko has a far more balanced game.

Can we compare public speaking in the jack-off?

Only while chewing.

Cyberdoggie
07-06-2021, 04:22 PM
Nearly stuffed up his run with a 30 disposal game 6 weeks ago.

If he got 29 do you think they would do a recount and try and find one?

Twodogs
07-06-2021, 06:58 PM
Nearly stuffed up his run with a 30 disposal game 6 weeks ago.

If he got 29 do you think they would do a recount and try and find one?

Jeemak would be wanting to trade him.

jeemak
07-06-2021, 07:01 PM
Jeemak would be wanting to trade him.

Unnecessary and unfair attack.

Twodogs
07-06-2021, 08:14 PM

Yeah, nah. Unnecessary maybe.

bornadog
07-06-2021, 09:30 PM

You have form :D

EasternWest
07-06-2021, 10:43 PM

Neither. Toughen up.

bornadog
28-06-2021, 02:37 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E48HChUVcAMLOEt?format=jpg&name=large

The Bulldogs Bite
28-06-2021, 03:23 PM
His work rate and mental strength to keep pushing himself is phenomenal.

merantau
28-06-2021, 09:39 PM
Jacko is in a league of his own for consistency, courage and comradeship. When the whips are cracking - that'll be when Jacko steps up. Where the fire is hottest - it's there you'll find Jacko. There's no ground he won't run himself into. No ball he won't stand under. He is a marvellous player - just ask the GWS and Swans classes of 2016.

bulldogtragic
29-06-2021, 12:22 AM
Ready for a career best goal kicking too, his PB is 9 goals in a season. Already up to 3. This might be his year to get to 10. His goal on the weekend is why he should be taking more shots.

bornadog
29-06-2021, 12:24 AM
Ready for a career best goal kicking too, his PB is 9 goals in a season. Already up to 3. This might be his year to get to 10. His goal on the weekend is why he should be taking more shots.

That goal and the one in Ballarat were crucial goals.

bulldogtragic
29-06-2021, 12:33 AM
That goal and the one in Ballarat were crucial goals.

Yep. I wish he’d have a crack more often. He’s Ice Man in the big moments in front of goal.

EasternWest
29-06-2021, 09:59 AM
He sure is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs795KOEKHY&ab_channel=ALsHighlights

Never gets old.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2021, 12:34 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E48HChUVcAMLOEt?format=jpg&name=large

Make that 15. Another 31 today.

AshMac
05-07-2021, 08:08 AM
Congratulations Jacko. Whilst I think the “most underrated player” tag is well and truly buried - people that know footy know how good he is - you still don’t get the credit you deserve

Mofra
05-07-2021, 09:48 AM
His kicking is a real weapon now, the improvement in the past 2 years is incredible but rarely mentioned. No more loopy passes

Ozza
05-07-2021, 12:20 PM
His kicking is a real weapon now, the improvement in the past 2 years is incredible but rarely mentioned. No more loopy passes

His kicking inside 50 is great. He hooked one around his body to Hannan so well yesterday that I don't think Hannan was expecting it was for him and dropped it.

bornadog
05-07-2021, 01:27 PM
This one was a beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TrC9_Gw6KI&ab_channel=Michael

The bulldog tragician
05-07-2021, 04:31 PM
This one was a beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TrC9_Gw6KI&ab_channel=Michael

Jackson sweated on that like one of the seagulls, seeming to know Bont would win it.

Happy Days
05-07-2021, 05:33 PM
Yeah stuff like that is why this game was never really a contest. Any time North got around the 20 point mark we’d try for one continued piece of play and invariably score a goal without any trouble. This one, Dale’s goals, Weightman’s 4th goal; we made it look really easy when we felt like it.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-07-2021, 05:41 PM
Yeah stuff like that is why this game was never really a contest. Any time North got around the 20 point mark we’d try for one continued piece of play and invariably score a goal without any trouble. This one, Dale’s goals, Weightman’s 4th goal; we made it look really easy when we felt like it.

Yeah I always thought we had control of this game. We were in 2nd gear most of the night until they got within 4 goals and we'd flick the switch. I'm not sure if this was intended though. Very difficult and dangerous to coach players to win as easily as possible. But you do wonder.

jeemak
05-07-2021, 06:00 PM

Yeah I always thought we had control of this game. We were in 2nd gear most of the night until they got within 4 goals and we'd flick the switch. I'm not sure if this was intended though. Very difficult and dangerous to coach players to win as easily as possible. But you do wonder.

It's not something the coaches would admit, nor would the players, but I'm pretty suss on how much uncontested ball we allowed them. A bit of frontal pressure and a zone that was working as it was the week prior wouldn't have allowed them that much of it.

comrade
05-07-2021, 06:09 PM
It's not something the coaches would admit, nor would the players, but I'm pretty suss on how much uncontested ball we allowed them. A bit of frontal pressure and a zone that was working as it was the week prior wouldn't have allowed them that much of it.

Our pressure rating was below average and it did look like we were in self preservation mode at times. Understandable after a big 3 week block of games, but you'd hope we're back to our best against Sydney.

WBFC4FFC
07-07-2021, 05:22 PM
Our pressure rating was below average and it did look like we were in self preservation mode at times. Understandable after a big 3 week block of games, but you'd hope we're back to our best against Sydney.

Going to have to be back to our best this week if we are the get the win.

bornadog
07-07-2021, 06:10 PM
Bontempelli on Macrae: He’s been incredible (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/973514/bontempelli-on-macrae-he-s-been-incredible)

Ball-magnet Jack Macrae has set a new league record for the longest streak of consecutive games with 30 or more disposals.

Macrae collected 31 touches in Sunday’s win over North Melbourne to make it 15 straight games of at least 30 possessions, overtaking previous leader and Hawk Tom Mitchell with 14 games in 2018.

Remarkably, he has registered more than 35 disposals on eight occasions this year, and scalps of 40-plus in rounds two, six and ten.

Bulldogs’ captain Marcus Bontempelli praised the 26-year-old for his efforts.

“(Jack) reckons he didn’t know he was close to the record or a chance to get it, but there was a free kick and he took the advantage, so we reckon he might’ve had the counter going,” Bontempelli joked on RSN 927 radio on Tuesday morning

“In the locker room (post-match) everyone said to him ‘we’re not buying that Jacko’.

“He’s been an incredible contributor for this football team, from really day dot but particularly over the last few years. I feel like he probably has gotten that recognition more and more…his strengths are so good that it does make it difficult for teams to try and (repel) that because he works so bloody hard.

“He’s been enormous for us this season and previous seasons. He definitely gets the recognition internally.”

Macrae has seven games left of the 2021 home-and-away season to try and extend his streak, with the ladder-leading Bulldogs’ next challenge facing the sixth-placed Swans on Sunday afternoon.

jeemak
07-07-2021, 06:16 PM
I love Jacko.

Twodogs
07-07-2021, 07:38 PM
I love Jacko.

Stupid sexy Jacko.

1eyedog
08-07-2021, 12:06 PM
Yeah Jack's a star. I mean maybe the 30 each work does matter to him more than his defensive work but you have to admit he works bloody hard.

AshMac
08-07-2021, 04:48 PM
I was counting his possessions over the game. He was at 15 half way through third and then just launched a spree from there. I think the ball he kicked from a free kick to can’t remember who in the goal square was his 30th

Ghost Dog
08-07-2021, 08:47 PM
Remind me, who did we pass up on instead of Jack? Ollie Wines?

azabob
08-07-2021, 09:02 PM
Remind me, who did we pass up on instead of Jack? Ollie Wines?

I don’t think anyone as such, Wines was the pick after Stringer.

Top ten is a bit meh

1. Whitfield
2 O’Rourke
3. Plowman
4. Toumpas
5. Macrae
6. Stringer
7. Wines
8. Mayes
9. Vlausten
10. Daniher (father / son)

Ghost Dog
08-07-2021, 09:04 PM
I don’t think anyone as such, Wines was the pick after Stringer.

Top ten is a bit meh

1. Whitfield
2 O’Rourke
3. Plowman
4. Toumpas
5. Macrae
6. Stringer
7. Wines
8. Mayes
9. Vlausten
10. Daniher (father / son)

We hit the jackpot! boom boom.

azabob
08-07-2021, 09:10 PM
We hit the jackpot! boom boom.

We also got Hunter pick 49 as father son in the same draft.

1eyedog
09-07-2021, 08:45 AM
Wines has been as good as Bont over the past 6 weeks. Remember hearing Dal say we were really into him and it was a roll of the dice whether we chose Jack or Ollie. Once we chose our midfielder it was always going to be Jake next.

jeemak
09-07-2021, 09:12 AM
We took Stringer at five, Jacko at six.

I wanted Wines from memory, pretty happy with Jacko.

AshMac
10-07-2021, 07:52 AM
We took Stringer at five, Jacko at six.

I wanted Wines from memory, pretty happy with Jacko.

Small part can’t help but wish we had wines and Jacko…..

But then, who knows what would’ve happened in 2016

Bulldog4life
10-07-2021, 12:24 PM
I was counting his possessions over the game. He was at 15 half way through third and then just launched a spree from there. I think the ball he kicked from a free kick to can’t remember who in the goal square was his 30th

It was a free to Brucey and Jacko whipped in and kicked it to Wally for a goal.

The bulldog tragician
10-07-2021, 05:09 PM
It was a free to Brucey and Jacko whipped in and kicked it to Wally for a goal.
Hunter was interviewed after the match and said Jackson believed (tongue in cheek) Wally should have shepherded it through.

SquirrelGrip
10-07-2021, 05:53 PM
Love it that I just realized that Jack kicked it to Bont for Bont’s first ever goal for the Dogs.

See it here: https://twitter.com/justbontthings/status/1412985705551187969?s=21

BornInDroopSt'54
10-07-2021, 08:16 PM
Jackson stood out from get go. Grew a lot in his first year. Apparently told off Matt Boyd for slackness at training.
Craftsman, elevated awareness and application.
I want his powerful focus to find a hunger for goal.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2021, 06:50 PM
The run is over.

bornadog
11-07-2021, 07:51 PM
The run is over.

Had a bad day at the office

merantau
11-07-2021, 08:43 PM
Jacko has set the bar so high. Let's not be blinded by a number. I don't know how many possessions he had but I do know he was still one of our best. He willed himself to contest after contest, laid tackles and was in and under more than usual. He is a magnificent player.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2021, 08:52 PM
I loved him standing over the Sydney player on the ground. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him do anything close to that.

Smads57
13-07-2021, 05:00 PM
At the open training session last Thursday, Macrae came off the track half way thru the session. I was looking to see if he was carrying a niggle or two but couldn't see anything physically wrong (thru binoculars).

I then wondered if he was leaving the ground as the sports science numbers had indicated he was close to his full 'load' for the week.

Maybe in hindsight, he was carrying some little niggle into the game versus Sydney, as his numbers were not as 'Macrae like' as previous.

(Also noted Bevo and McLean in a deep conversation for some time when the training session was ending and suspected he might have been in line for going back to VFL which ended up happening).

bornadog
06-05-2022, 12:26 AM
Will be captain tomorrow night - watch out Port for a huge game from the star.

jeemak
06-05-2022, 02:09 AM
Jacko's a complete pro and we are bloody lucky to have him. Looking forward to a big game from him tomorrow.

There's been some commentary on the site about his accumulation and whether he is actually dangerous with it, and I get it a bit but at the same time his effectiveness is only ever going to be as good as the players around him - just like any accumulator.

I don't think we've ever had a player equally as tricky both by foot and hand as him. In each case he sees angles and executes to them others don't. He's not only a pro, he's a complete freak.

Happy Days
06-05-2022, 09:59 AM
Jacko's a complete pro and we are bloody lucky to have him. Looking forward to a big game from him tomorrow.

There's been some commentary on the site about his accumulation and whether he is actually dangerous with it, and I get it a bit but at the same time his effectiveness is only ever going to be as good as the players around him - just like any accumulator.

I don't think we've ever had a player equally as tricky both by foot and hand as him. In each case he sees angles and executes to them others don't. He's not only a pro, he's a complete freak.

The derision of him as an accumulator is nonsense. For one, getting the ball a million times is a good thing that is hard to do, and secondly, he was second in the AFL for goal assists last year, which is about as damaging as you can be without punching someone in the head.

I do think that we largely hear it from media voices more so than on here though.

Grantysghost
06-05-2022, 11:15 AM

He's awesome no doubt as a footballer.

How do we think he will go as El Capitano?

I think it's a brave move by Bevo making him VC but it could really drive him to the next level as a person.

1eyedog
06-05-2022, 11:31 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by tricky but its hard to go past a player like Hawkins, but that's pretty stiff competition.
I'm liking that Jack has hit the scoreboard a few times this year.

Twodogs
06-05-2022, 12:05 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by tricky but its hard to go past a player like Hawkins, but that's pretty stiff competition.
I'm liking that Jack has hit the scoreboard a few times this year.

Leon Cameron too. Him and Hawkins both had the advantage of being genuinely at home kicking the ball left and right footed so they could go in either direction and leave the opposition looking a bit silly.

Happy Days
06-05-2022, 12:16 PM
I mean, does Aker count?

At one point he was the best kick in the competition off his right foot and the second best off his left.

Twodogs
06-05-2022, 12:25 PM
I mean, does Aker count?

At one point he was the best kick in the competition off his right foot and the second best off his left.

That was more with Brisbane than with us though wasn't it?. I mean he was borderline flying with us at times but his truly great footy was with Brisbane.

He still made going to the footy a worthwhile exercise with us though. You'd look down the line wondering where he was when we had the footy.

bornadog
06-05-2022, 01:50 PM
That was more with Brisbane than with us though wasn't it?. I mean he was borderline flying with us at times but his truly great footy was with Brisbane.

He still made going to the footy a worthwhile exercise with us though. You'd look down the line wondering where he was when we had the footy.

He kicked 20, 49, 43 goals for us

1eyedog
06-05-2022, 03:52 PM
Leon Cameron too. Him and Hawkins both had the advantage of being genuinely at home kicking the ball left and right footed so they could go in either direction and leave the opposition looking a bit silly.

100% I just thought of Doug immediately when I heard smart by hand and foot. Doug was a master at getting a handball away and was a great exponent of the look away handball. As you mention he had crazy good vision and the ability to hit targets with either foot at any angle.

jeemak
06-05-2022, 05:49 PM
I probably wasn't thinking that far back, more so in modern times.

By tricky I mean there's a lot of times Jacko should either get caught with the footy, or his disposal should get blocked and it doesn't. By foot he works angles not many players can, and by hand he always manages to get it away in close and to my eye rarely gets caught or gives away free kicks for incorrect disposal.

Go_Dogs
06-05-2022, 06:28 PM
I probably wasn't thinking that far back, more so in modern times.

By tricky I mean there's a lot of times Jacko should either get caught with the footy, or his disposal should get blocked and it doesn't. By foot he works angles not many players can, and by hand he always manages to get it away in close and to my eye rarely gets caught or gives away free kicks for incorrect disposal.

I know exactly what you mean.

He’s great at getting it around the corner and I’ve never seen a player so willing to take the extra second and get hit as he disposed of the ball. Jacko has mastered that. Long love the Nater.

WBFC4FFC
06-05-2022, 08:08 PM
I know exactly what you mean.

He’s great at getting it around the corner and I’ve never seen a player so willing to take the extra second and get hit as he disposed of the ball. Jacko has mastered that. Long love the Nater.

Epitomises the actions speaking louder than words. Need it tonight!

Bulldog4life
09-05-2022, 09:57 AM
His right foot is more than handy for a left footer too.

GVGjr
09-05-2022, 10:06 AM
We all know what he can't do as a footballer but I doubt enough of us give him the full credit for what he can do.
He works hard every game and is rarely beaten.

angelopetraglia
14-05-2022, 02:23 AM
Just another day in the office for Jackson tonight. Just gets the job done every single week. So consistent.

37 touches
14 contested
8 marks
449m gained
9 clearances
4 centre clearances
10 score involements

whythelongface
14-05-2022, 08:37 AM
That was Jacko at his best. He was superb in the middle tonight. He know longer has to be the main accumulator, yet still manages to get his hands on the ball 37 times. The clearance number stands out.

Twodogs
14-05-2022, 09:26 PM
What I love most about Jack is how he turns up each year with a new trick to his bow. He obviously worked on his goalkicking over last summer to the extent that he's become a fairly reliable one goal a game player. His goal against North in the third quarter when Libba flicked it out to him sucked all the energy out of them

Go_Dogs
15-05-2022, 10:38 AM
He didn’t kick it, but I like he was confident enough when he had a bit of time in the F50 to take a shot on the run on Friday. Don’t see that much from Jacko.

He’s had a sensational year and is going to end his career one of our greatest players for his consistency. He’s like a modern day West for consistency, minus all the B&F awards, and a more damaging player in space and by foot. Love him.

Mitcha
15-05-2022, 01:05 PM
Would love to see Jacko win at least one best and Fairest before he's done and to be honest I am more than surprised he hasn't won one yet. Won't get a better chance than this year with Bont below his normal output. Love Jack Mac.

Grantysghost
15-05-2022, 01:13 PM
Would love to see Jacko win at least one best and Fairest before he's done and to be honest I am more than surprised he hasn't won one yet. Won't get a better chance than this year with Bont below his normal output. Love Jack Mac.

He lost by a vote to Hunter in 19? Unlucky. If he can stay fit might be his year.

Edit 2018.

Charles Sutton Medal: Top 10

Lachie Hunter – 191 votes
Jack Macrae – 190 votes
Marcus Bontempelli – 154 votes
Aaron Naughton – 120 votes
Josh Dunkley – 110 votes
Caleb Daniel – 110 votes
Jason Johannisen – 109 votes
Hayden Crozier - 98 votes
Toby McLean – 91 votes
Bailey Williams – 86 votes

BornInDroopSt'54
15-05-2022, 06:53 PM
What a man. Did he play against his bro v Woods?
What an athlete!
What a Bulldog!

jazzadogs
12-02-2024, 05:39 PM
Touched on a little in the training thread...but let's have a serious discussion about Jack Macrae in 2024.

A recent hamstring injury will obviously have hampered his preparation, but I had been hoping he would be one of our real standout performers this pre season. I thought he would be hungry to reclaim his spot in the midfield. While there have been no reports of him presenting poorly to pre season, there also haven't been the glowing reports I was hoping for.

Will the new coaching regime help Jacko win back his spot as a 50%+ centre bounce mid? Or is he destined to run out the final years of his career (contracted til end 2027!!) as an ineffective half forward?

Grantysghost
12-02-2024, 05:46 PM
Touched on a little in the training thread...but let's have a serious discussion about Jack Macrae in 2024.

A recent hamstring injury will obviously have hampered his preparation, but I had been hoping he would be one of our real standout performers this pre season. I thought he would be hungry to reclaim his spot in the midfield. While there have been no reports of him presenting poorly to pre season, there also haven't been the glowing reports I was hoping for.

Will the new coaching regime help Jacko win back his spot as a 50%+ centre bounce mid? Or is he destined to run out the final years of his career (contracted til end 2027!!) as an ineffective half forward?
Great discussion point JD.

3 x AA I'm a massive fan. He's such a consistent performer without having the massive peaks of some other players.
I see he and Libba almost fighting for a spot. If that's the case Jacko loses out.
The game has moved on a bit and it's a real worry for the linear accumulation types.
Wines is a good example he's basically gone from Brownlow to almost SANFL.

He's guts or VFL for mine.

I'd have him as part of the rotation initially in the guts / hff however unless he can grab that he's destined for the seconds.

jazzadogs
12-02-2024, 06:04 PM
Great discussion point JD.

3 x AA I'm a massive fan. He's such a consistent performer without having the massive peaks of some other players.
I see he and Libba almost fighting for a spot. If that's the case Jacko loses out.
The game has moved on a bit and it's a real worry for the linear accumulation types.
Wines is a good example he's basically gone from Brownlow to almost SANFL.

He's guts or VFL for mine.

I'd have him as part of the rotation initially in the guts / hff however unless he can grab that he's destined for the seconds.

If that's the case, then the question becomes - what do we do with his contract? Another premiership legend shunted for nothing?

I really want the old Macrae back....but also I think he contributed a lot to allowing run ons against us out of the middle, so maybe I DONT actually want the old Macrae back.

I'm torn.

MrMahatma
12-02-2024, 06:25 PM
I dunno.

First choice mids:
- Bont, Libba, Ads

Second choice mids:
- Jack, Sanders, Harmes?

I think Jack has a lot of good footy left in him. From a mix perspective though he's prob not in the centre bounces all the time. May start on the bench a bit.

Grantysghost
12-02-2024, 06:26 PM
If that's the case, then the question becomes - what do we do with his contract? Another premiership legend shunted for nothing?

I really want the old Macrae back....but also I think he contributed a lot to allowing run ons against us out of the middle, so maybe I DONT actually want the old Macrae back.

I'm torn.
He's VC too.

Crikey, it's a bloody good question.

He's become a bit of a conundrum.

Why did we sign him up for so long? Would there have been other suitors?

Grantysghost
12-02-2024, 06:27 PM
I dunno.

First choice mids:
- Bont, Libba, Ads

Second choice mids:
- Jack, Sanders, Harmes?

I think Jack has a lot of good footy left in him. From a mix perspective though he's prob not in the centre bounces all the time. May start on the bench a bit.
Can we afford that to happen MM?

azabob
12-02-2024, 06:33 PM
Unfortunately for Macrae I think his place in the team is dependent on if we want to rotate heavily through the centre bounce or stick with same 3-4 players all year.
Holistically I think we need to return to a lot more players taking turns through the midfield.

Go_Dogs
12-02-2024, 06:43 PM
He still spends some centre bounces in the middle but is more likely to be our forward that plays high as the extra midfielder. If his running is on point and he can play his accumulation role, he should be fine.

LifeLongBulldog
12-02-2024, 09:12 PM
Macrae got injured and experienced some rib damage in the first game against Melbourne last year but continued on throughout the season. As a result he was not his usual self throughout the year since ribs are such a difficult injury to treat. I will back Macrae in for a good year if he remains injury free. Before last year he was the model of consistency and would never have a bad game. I feel like we need to remember how good he is and why he has been All Australian for three years.

bornadog
12-02-2024, 10:09 PM
I dunno.

First choice mids:
- Bont, Libba, Ads

Second choice mids:
- Jack, Sanders, Harmes?

Macrae is way better than Harmes as a mid

MrMahatma
12-02-2024, 11:12 PM
Macrae is way better than Harmes as a mid

I have them both in the same rotation?