View Full Version : 3 things you have learned - RD 10 v Port 2020

GVGjr
03-08-2020, 08:00 PM
Love to hear the 3 things you have learned from tonight's game against Port

If they can be 3 new things, that would be even better

Go Dogs

PedroArvy
03-08-2020, 10:34 PM
1. If we had one semi-competent tall forward we'd be a different team.

2. Bruce needs a rest. No question about it.

3. Our high intensity in close game keep us in it but a bit of game plan would be nice.

GVGjr
03-08-2020, 10:38 PM

3. Our high intensity in close game keep us in it but a bit of game plan would be nice.

Welcome back Pedro, that is a significant drought break contribution

Mofra
03-08-2020, 10:39 PM
1. Libba is a freak. 20+ contested possessions in shortened quarters. Never forget.

2. We are desperate for marking power forward of the ball. A half-fit Naughton would have made a difference or - dare I say it - a raw, skinny underdeveloped Jamarra.

3. We have the grunt, but lack the polish. Really lack outside polish. Hunter can't come back quick enough, and we need to find another mature outside runner. No team would worry about our outside mids.

GVGjr
03-08-2020, 10:44 PM
1 - First time in a while in a losing game that you can't really knock the effort and Bevo made a lot of the right calls
2 - People don't like the MC decisions being challenged but 2 of the additions didn't get a lot of the ball
3 - Dunks return was very good, a bonus for us

ratsmac
03-08-2020, 10:47 PM
1. We miss Marvel stadium. A home game with a home crowd is a MASSIVE advantage

2. Who said Libba needs a rest. He's fresh. He's a freak

3. Bruce won't bring us any silverware

3.a We miss Hunter more than I would of thought

EasternWest
03-08-2020, 10:49 PM

Welcome back Pedro, that is a significant drought break contribution

Seconded.

1. Schache has to play. He must really be falling short in the coach's "must dos" to not be getting a game.

2. We've got a huge problem handballing to a guy who is hotter than the handballer.

3. I don't get why people still comment of Wallis' weak points. He's the only forward in our team that consistently looks like he's in the contest any time here's near it.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-08-2020, 10:49 PM
1. Worst forward half in the comp, Adelaide excluded maybe. Naughton is a big in but it needs an overhaul.

2. Wallis is our best forward. Bruce is our worst.

3. I want the season to be over.

kruder
03-08-2020, 11:09 PM
1. Libba is a freak. 20+ contested possessions in shortened quarters. Never forget.

2. We are desperate for marking power forward of the ball. A half-fit Naughton would have made a difference or - dare I say it - a raw, skinny underdeveloped Jamarra.

3. We have the grunt, but lack the polish. Really lack outside polish. Hunter can't come back quick enough, and we need to find another mature outside runner. No team would worry about our outside mids.

Good points.

I think we need more than just Naughty, we need a new forward line coach. Our players all lead to the same spot, there is little evidence of system and cohesion.

bornadog
03-08-2020, 11:20 PM

Bont with 16 CP and he spent the 3rd quarter in the Fwd line

bornadog
03-08-2020, 11:21 PM
1. Our bottom 6 were diabolical and we need to change it up
2. Can't wait for Naughton to come back in
3. We are desperate for Hunter

SonofScray
03-08-2020, 11:32 PM
We have all the pieces to a beautiful puzzle. They're just spread out all over a poorly built coffee table.

Clarko has done footy a huge disservice with his whinge, I don't understand the rules anymore.

We look at our best when Ed Richards is on the go, footy in hand.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-08-2020, 12:10 AM
For all the talk of fixing our forward line issues (and I agree entirely) it won’t make a huge difference if we can get better quality entries. How many times this year (except the north game)have we seen quality entry to our forwards? There wasn’t a single one tonight. Our forward line is diabolical but they don’t stand any chance with the atrocious entries they are dealing with.

Remi Moses
04-08-2020, 07:30 AM
1. Our overpossesing is causing issues with the forward half . The one or two to many cause a rushed kick which the interceptors take
2. Josh Bruce takes an hour to get up when going to ground . Have a look at Dixon and how trim he is
3. Thought our effort was there and if you can have a much better loss , than this was it

AshMac
04-08-2020, 07:45 AM
1. We dominated contested ball and stoppages but couldn’t turn it into effective forward entries

2. Our forward line are looking dreadful - all leading to the same place, ball rebounding out too fast

3. In the end, the majority of the difference was a couple of very costly errors by JJ, doesn’t happen often so some good signs in there....somewhere

azabob
04-08-2020, 09:22 AM
1. Our bottom 6 were diabolical and we need to change it up
2. Can't wait for Naughton to come back in
3. We are desperate for Hunter

Maybe we need to stop chopping and changing the bottom 6?

Time for a big name or two to be dropped.

Mofra
04-08-2020, 09:27 AM
The bottom 6 players are rarely the difference, as you'd only expect marginal improvement with their inclusion.

We dominated in the first quarter yet went in a goal up. We're uphill skiiers if there is such a thing - we just can't translate midfield dominance into scoreboard impact. We're gone out and picked up Lloyd then Bruce, and swung Naughton forward, so it isn't like our list managers don't recognise it as a problem.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-08-2020, 09:44 AM
1. Our taxing game plan is hurting us during the footy festival. We look so much more tired than our opponents who both have come in with one day less break.

2. Screaming for one or two players to come back in hoping it’ll fix our issues is desperation. Naughts won’t fix our forward woes and Hunter won’t fix our midfield. The problem is game plan related. We’ve seen games like tonight with both Naughton and Hunter playing.

Actually that’s it. All the issues we had tonight we all already knew existed.

Pickenitup
04-08-2020, 10:31 AM
1.We can compete with the best teams.
2.Bruce needs help hopefully Naughton back this week if not Schache .
3.We can still make finals .

bulldogsthru&thru
04-08-2020, 10:45 AM
1.We can compete with the best teams.
2.Bruce needs help hopefully Naughton back this week if not Schache .
3.We can still make finals .

Finals won't happen. If you look at the current top 8 (of which we make up) there are no teams I see that will drop out and I still believe Collingwood will make it and take our spot. I think we'll finish 9th-11th sadly. Remember we're still to play Brisbane, Geelong and West Coast in our last 7. That's 3 losses the way we're going. Now if we sneak 1 win out of those and then win our other 4 games we MIGHT sneak in with results going our way but even in that case our pathetic % will kill us. The odds are against us sadly.

GetDimmaBack
04-08-2020, 10:50 AM
1. Another tall in the forward line will take some of the pressure away from Bruce. Double teamed every week.

2. Mitch Wallis is a leader.

3. Close games often bring on critical, decisive moments. We lost that moment last night.

1eyedog
04-08-2020, 10:51 AM
1. Ash Hansen needs to go.

2. We really should have called JJ's bluff when we negotiated his last contract.

3. 2020 is over for us unfortunately.

Bulldog4life
04-08-2020, 10:55 AM
1. A couple of skill errors by JJ unfortunately cost us big time.

2. I would like to see Vandermeer pass it off sometimes rather to always go for the long goal. Kicked 0.4

3. Poor by Port supporters in the last quarter, booing Mitch Wallis coming back on the field after having his face cut open.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-08-2020, 10:59 AM
1. A couple of skill errors by JJ unfortunately cost us big time.

2. I would like to see Vandermeer pass it off sometimes rather to always go for the long goal. Kicked 0.4

3. Poor by Port supporters in the last quarter, booing Mitch Wallis coming back on the field after having his face cut open.
Last night they were bordering on crows fans territory. They just booed at everything. They even booed the goal we got after a touched kick wasn't paid a mark to one of their players. It was obviously touched. Perhaps after lockdown they need to vent a lot more. Hate to see the next Collingwood game with fans in that case.

westbulldog
04-08-2020, 11:17 AM
1. We beat the top team everywhere but on the scoreboard.
2. We over handball at times and our "plan" is just to bomb the ball into the forward line. Bruce is being crashed by 2 or 3 every time.
3. I lost count of their intercept marks, infuriating.

bornadog
04-08-2020, 12:02 PM
Last night they were bordering on crows fans territory. They just booed at everything. They even booed the goal we got after a touched kick wasn't paid a mark to one of their players. It was obviously touched. Perhaps after lockdown they need to vent a lot more. Hate to see the next Collingwood game with fans in that case.

Pack of Bogans

AshMac
04-08-2020, 04:26 PM
2. Mitch Wallis is a leader.

Agree. I’ve thought for ages he’d be our VC if it wasn’t for his form. Now he looks back to 2015 form he could easily pick up the title next year

PedroArvy
04-08-2020, 04:37 PM
Thanks. I read the forum a lot but don't feel qualified to make to many observations.

Eastdog
04-08-2020, 04:40 PM
Thanks. I read the forum a lot but don't feel qualified to make to many observations.

I log in pretty much everyday contribute where I can (assisting in creating the weekly game day threads etc) but yeah I feel with some threads better just reading. Good to see you back PedroArvy.

G-Mo77
04-08-2020, 04:45 PM

Time for a big name or two to be dropped.

Then we'll have a diabolical bottom 7 or 8 in the team. :)

bulldogsthru&thru
04-08-2020, 04:45 PM

Ha none of us are qualified. Post away whatever you're thinking, it's valuable contribution for sure.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-08-2020, 05:13 PM
That hasn't stopped any of us so far. Jump in, another voice is always welcome!

1eyedog
04-08-2020, 05:54 PM

Same but I still make them.

DOG GOD
04-08-2020, 07:12 PM
1. Libba is GOD...enough said
2. Every time we enter fwd 50, I’m never expecting a goal. Shambles.
3. I love Wallis, I love his endeavour and he’s a bulldog thru and thru, but he shouldn’t be our best forward. That says where we are at.

chef
04-08-2020, 07:52 PM
1. We arent far away from bring a good side.

2. The gameday thread can certainly get bit BF cringe worthy haha

3. Bruce needs a to be dropped/given a break before we destroy him. Confidence is shot.

EasternWest
04-08-2020, 08:33 PM

Pfft. If that was a qualifying metric none of us would be here.

Except twodogs, because his anecdotes override any KSC's.

FrediKanoute
05-08-2020, 03:43 AM
1. Bad kicking is bad football and but for that we would have put the game to bed at quarter time

2. You can't keep a guy like Dixon out of the game for 4 quarters, we needed to respect this and counter when he worked his way into the game;

3. Bruce needs support

mjp
05-08-2020, 10:38 AM

Welcome back mate - great to have you back on board.

If Naughton is selected this week does Bruce get one more or....

Mofra
05-08-2020, 11:00 AM

Naughton - off little pre-season and an enforced injury layoff - just can't play as the lone tall forward against Brisbane. He simply can't.

Danjul
05-08-2020, 11:24 AM
Naughton - off little pre-season and an enforced injury layoff - just can't play as the lone tall forward against Brisbane. He simply can't.
Instead of rushing players back from significant injuries, and risking their recovery and longer term contributions , can we make better use of the players who are perfectly fit (and not look like we are so desperate.)

azabob
05-08-2020, 11:30 AM
Instead of rushing players back from significant injuries, and risking their recovery and longer term contributions , can we make better use of the players who are perfectly fit (and not look like we are so desperate.)

When Naughton plays he will be good to go even if it is this week.

One thing our club does not do is rush players back from injury.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-08-2020, 11:49 AM

It's the only thing that saves Bruce in a way.

We just can't continue playing 1 KPF, it's too easy for the opposition to smother/double team and we have no other targets (well, Wallis, sure, but you know what I mean).

merantau
05-08-2020, 10:00 PM

Anyone who loves the Dogs is qualified, Pedro.

Eastdog
05-08-2020, 10:01 PM
Anyone who loves the Dogs is qualified, Pedro.

Great statement merantau.

1eyedog
05-08-2020, 10:20 PM
It's the only thing that saves Bruce in a way.

We just can't continue playing 1 KPF, it's too easy for the opposition to smother/double team and we have no other targets (well, Wallis, sure, but you know what I mean).

Absolutely we are way too predictable wth one go to option the enemy can pick us off all match.

whythelongface
05-08-2020, 11:12 PM
1. We arent far away from bring a good side.

2. The gameday thread can certainly get bit BF cringe worthy haha

3. Bruce needs a to be dropped/given a break before we destroy him. Confidence is shot.

I am with you on #1. But our main issue is our ability to adapt. As others have alluded to our game is too predictable in a sense that we really only have one style. When it works it can work well but when it doesn’t well enough said. I wish we could be like Richmond. They seem to be able to change styles to suit different opponents. I get that they do have a more varied list and it particularly helps having two key targets. In saying that if we have our best team on deck I feel we can match it with most but can we do this over a period of time.