PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to Move Caleb Daniel further up the ground and help with delivery into the forward line.

bornadog
09-08-2020, 01:56 PM
I know Caleb is playing well in his current position, and it all starts from the backline moving the ball down the ground, but as we know we haven't been delivering the ball well.

Should Caleb be moved further up the ground or are we robbing Peter to pay Paul?

I especially enjoyed his bullet pass last night, to hit up Dale who then scored.

SonofScray
09-08-2020, 02:06 PM
Possibly. It could be a rob Peter to pay Paul situation, but I thino we'd benefit from him getting the footy forward of centre more often than not. You can't imagine him making the sort of decisions kicking I50 that Ed did last night.

DOG GOD
09-08-2020, 02:17 PM
I too like the idea of moving Caleb fwd. he makes good decisions, and takes his time under pressure more than not. It’s precision kicks like his we are dying for. I would literally hate to play in our fwd 50 with the delivery our half fwd flankers continually butcher.

Hotdog60
09-08-2020, 02:44 PM
You could swap Richards and Daniel around.

GVGjr
09-08-2020, 04:33 PM
You could swap Richards and Daniel around.

That is probably worth a try

The Bulldogs Bite
09-08-2020, 05:51 PM
In the shortest of terms, yes. Yes it is.

mjp
09-08-2020, 08:27 PM
That is probably worth a try

Wouldn't he be more effective in an inside role than moving up-field into an outside role?

I just cant see how that plays to his strengths - finding space where there is none and finding targets whilst under pressure.
Inside mid? You might be onto something there.

kruder
09-08-2020, 08:33 PM
I know Caleb is playing well in his current position, and it all starts from the backline moving the ball down the ground, but as we know we haven't been delivering the ball well.

Should Caleb be moved further up the ground or are we robbing Peter to pay Paul?

I especially enjoyed his bullet pass last night, to hit up Dale who then scored.

We have a list full of half back flankers and Bevo tried to create another one in Daniel.

Absolutely we should move him up the ground.

bornadog
09-08-2020, 11:20 PM
We have a list full of half back flankers and Bevo tried to create another one in Daniel.

Absolutely we should move him up the ground.

Not sure you have the right description in tried to make one. Caleb is one of the best backmen in the AFL

AshMac
10-08-2020, 07:58 AM
I think it’s worth a try. Has been excellent down back. That kick to Bailey Dale was superb when he pressed up. He is a player that can play multiple positions - id love to see him play some parts in fwd line and some as that linking role he played really early in his career. Shame there is only one of him

Happy Days
10-08-2020, 11:17 AM
Gonna have to say no. He's been absolutely incredible down back and moving him forward of the ball will totally wreck our ability to get the ball forward. He's pretty much an All Australian level HBF and we want to move away from that because he might be good in another position?

The suggestion of Richards back is an odd one given his current struggles with ball use. I love Ed probably more than anyone else on here, but even with more open field to play with can anyone honestly suggest that he would be able to get us out of the jams that Caleb can?

soupman
10-08-2020, 01:20 PM
I'm inclined to say no. He is the only one in our back half who is consistently able to continuously and positively bring the ball forward, through either disposal or running. Also the way we set up it means he just kicks it and keeps running past 'till it gets to our forwardline. It also brings in the issue of if he doesn't start with the ball he has to work his way into the play, which is harder for him than the present role.

The suggestion of Richards back is an odd one given his current struggles with ball use. I love Ed probably more than anyone else on here, but even with more open field to play with can anyone honestly suggest that he would be able to get us out of the jams that Caleb can?

That was my initial thought too, but potentially the extra space and less pressure on him (consider most of the time he gets it currently he is sprinting out of a contest and trying to deliver under pressure or at least perceived pressure) means he might be able to be more careful with his execution, not dissimilar to how Boyd was a crap kick in the midfield but awesome in defence.

Just for Richards sake i think it's worth considering as a way to simplify things for him and get his confidence up again after a year of no form, with the possible benefit of giving us a Saad like explosive half back.

Happy Days
10-08-2020, 01:24 PM
I'm inclined to say no. He is the only one in our back half who is consistently able to continuously and positively bring the ball forward, through either disposal or running. Also the way we set up it means he just kicks it and keeps running past 'till it gets to our forwardline. It also brings in the issue of if he doesn't start with the ball he has to work his way into the play, which is harder for him than the present role.

That was my initial thought too, but potentially the extra space and less pressure on him (consider most of the time he gets it currently he is sprinting out of a contest and trying to deliver under pressure or at least perceived pressure) means he might be able to be more careful with his execution, not dissimilar to how Boyd was a crap kick in the midfield but awesome in defence.

Just for Richards sake i think it's worth considering as a way to simplify things for him and get his confidence up again after a year of no form, with the possible benefit of giving us a Saad like explosive half back.

Maybe. There’s no way his kicking is as bad as it’s been this year. But I wouldn’t be moving Caleb to accomodate him.

soupman
10-08-2020, 01:27 PM
Maybe. There’s no way his kicking is as bad as it’s been this year. But I wouldn’t be moving Caleb to accomodate him.

I agree, but if a spot for him is found there I wouldn't be against him having a go.

kruder
10-08-2020, 01:33 PM
Not sure you have the right description in tried to make one. Caleb is one of the best backmen in the AFL

Yep your right. I still think he will get exposed when the big games will come around back there. It wasn't an area that needed fixing was my point, connection has been a massive issue.

To be honest atm though, its application our players avoid contact they haven't recovered mentally from the final last year there is no doubt about it. I wouldn't call out players soft because no one in the AFL is soft its a brutal game but they are playing like gentleman atm.

I actually think our forward line will come together with continuity with a few tweaks. Caleb could help hit targets coming up at the footy while Bruce and Naughty wrestle the gorillas.

Mantis
10-08-2020, 06:25 PM
He was moved to defence as he was getting to a point where he was ineffective elsewhere.

He's almost AA as a small defender so lets keep him there.

The Doctor
14-08-2020, 10:02 AM
In the preseason I suggested in one of our threads that I'd like to see Caleb Daniel playing his current quarterback role but in the forward line (ie Quarter Forward) and pinpointing targets in attack.

I quoted this recently in another thread. So I'm up for at least giving Daniel a try as an attacking option. He is clever enough to make it work and would improve delivery into attack enormously.

As great as Daniel has been in the back half consider this for a moment. With Daniel playing his current role primarily in defence our results have been;

2020 - won 5 and lost 6

2019 - won 7 and lost 10

when we made our run to the finals last year and Daniel was out of the team we

won 5 lost 1

(the loss was the Elimination Final)

in the 5 wins we had without Daniel we scored on average 106 points per game. We averaged 83 points per game with him in.

This is quite interesting. I thought our back line were more free wheeling and attacking last year when he was out injured. Less stop/start. We moved the ball a lot quicker. So with that in mind is it feasible that we could expect a similar outcome if we took Daniel out of the back half again? With the ball coming up the ground quicker we 'could' have a player like Daniel working from midfield to forward which should sharpen disposal into the F50 and improve scoring opportunities.

AshMac
14-08-2020, 10:07 AM
I quoted this recently in another thread. So I'm up for at least giving Daniel a try as an attacking option. He is clever enough to make it work and would improve delivery into attack enormously.

As great as Daniel has been in the back half consider this for a moment. With Daniel playing his current role primarily in defence our results have been;

2020 - won 5 and lost 6

2019 - won 7 and lost 10

when we made our run to the finals last year and Daniel was out of the team we

won 5 lost 1

(the loss was the Elimination Final)

in the 5 wins we had without Daniel we scored on average 106 points per game. We averaged 83 points per game with him in.

This is quite interesting. I thought our back line were more free wheeling and attacking last year when he was out injured. Less stop/start. We moved the ball a lot quicker. So with that in mind is it feasible that we could expect a similar outcome if we took Daniel out of the back half again? With the ball coming up the ground quicker we 'could' have a player like Daniel working from midfield to forward which should sharpen disposal into the F50 and improve scoring opportunities.

It seems at times last year he was our “get out of jail free card” every opportunity. We’d rely on his agility and decision making too heavily and put him under intense pressure. There was a time last year when he was leading the company for kicks intercepted for this reason. I thought last year we had a better back structure without him.

Having said that, this year he’s been amazing down back and our line up has changed.

He brings players into the game, controls the tempo in pressure and silky smooth in his delivery. If that isn’t someone who is worth trying kicking into F50 rather than out of D50 again then I don’t know who is. Particularly to a forward line as ineffective as ours lately.

soupman
14-08-2020, 11:33 AM
I would be very reluctant to move him, especially in a backline that is now missing its second best ball mover in JJ.

AshMac
14-08-2020, 03:42 PM
I would be very reluctant to move him, especially in a backline that is now missing its second best ball mover in JJ.

I’d rate Bailey Williams as our second best ball mover in defence this year. Honestly, on recent form, I’d put JJ behind Keath as well

soupman
14-08-2020, 04:34 PM
I’d rate Bailey Williams as our second best ball mover in defence this year. Honestly, on recent form, I’d put JJ behind Keath as well

Williams has been good, but he doesn't break the lines like Daniel and JJ do. JJ hasn't been amazing in this respect, but I think the backline is quite stagnant without the run he and Daniel provide.

Happy Days
23-08-2020, 02:44 PM
https://twitter.com/CalebDanielKick/status/1297039041871794176?s=20

This is the third best kick of all time now, behind Bont to Gowers against Sydney last year and Suckling's goal from the fence at Ballarat against Port a few years ago.

GVGjr
23-08-2020, 03:15 PM
https://twitter.com/CalebDanielKick/status/1297039041871794176?s=20

This is the third best kick of all time now, behind Bont to Gowers against Sydney last year and Suckling's goal from the fence at Ballarat against Port a few years ago.

Some magnificent kicks. That Suckling one was unreal. I was sitting just about right behind him

comrade
23-08-2020, 03:23 PM
I love Caleb but the most surprising kick yesterday was Tim English’s set shot. I gave him a 1/10 chance but he flushed it.