PDA

View Full Version : 3 things you have learned - RD 12 v Adelaide 2020

GVGjr
16-08-2020, 03:17 PM
We would all love to hear the 3 things you have learned from tonight's game against Adelaide Crows

If they can be 3 new things, that would be even better

As always, Go Dogs

GVGjr
16-08-2020, 05:00 PM
1 - Comrades "Naughton to the back line" campaign needs a rethink :)
2 - Naughton's got some mojo which is what we need
3 - Hunter made a great return and didn't show any rust at all.

comrade
16-08-2020, 05:05 PM
1 - Comrades "Naughton to the back line" campaign needs a rethink :)

To be fair, I reckon 2020 version of Chris Grant would have got amongst it today.

He is fun to watch when he's on though, can't deny that.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-08-2020, 05:08 PM
1. Richards had his best game for a while, I liked his work off the half back line. Maybe that should be his spot?

2. Cavarra has some good instincts. Like him to get an extended run and see if he can nail that small forward spot.
3. Bailey Williams really continues to show he's a growing force running out of our back half.

Grantysghost
16-08-2020, 05:10 PM
1. Naughton isn't just all contest, he has smarts with his leading patterns.
2. Richards looks very good off half back.
3. Cavarra can make a career at AFL level.

bornadog
16-08-2020, 05:10 PM
1. Hunter is such an important player, really helped setup the game today

2. Bont - don't tag him and you won't be able to stop him

3. Bazelenka - need a long term contract NOW, they will be coming for him

DOG GOD
16-08-2020, 05:12 PM
1. Set shot goal kicking remains a major issue. Against good teams it kills us.
2. Libba is having an unbelievable year.
3. Gardner is a deer in headlights every time the ball goes near him.

PedroArvy
16-08-2020, 05:16 PM
1. When you play a really, really bad team you look good.
2. When you play a really, really bad team it's a little boring to watch.
3. When you play a really, really bad team one can feel sorry for the opponent.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-08-2020, 05:23 PM
1. When you play a really, really bad team you look good.
2. When you play a really, really bad team it's a little boring to watch.
3. When you play a really, really bad team one can feel sorry for the opponent.

When that very poor team is Adelaide I have no room for feeling any sorrow for them.

SonofScray
16-08-2020, 05:34 PM
1. Cavarra has better game sense than I believed. 2 AFC are beyond awful. 3. We leak goals against all comers.

1eyedog
16-08-2020, 07:24 PM
1. Lachie locked in
2. Having Astro, Dunkley and Hunter out for most of the season has killed us.
3. Bont 's back in form! Scary good today.

AshMac
16-08-2020, 07:57 PM
1. All the things missing of late were there today - strong tackles, smooth transition, contested marks, overlap run, vintage Bont, Dunks/naughts\hunter all playing
2. Our forward line looks so much more open with genuine small forward types hovering around the contest
3. We played the worst team in a long time and still couldn't play four full quarters

AshMac
16-08-2020, 07:58 PM
3. Gardner is a deer in headlights every time the ball goes near him.

I thought today was the best he has played. And whilst every time he turn to kick it across goal I almost shit out my heart - I thought he did a few really good things and for the first time ever showed a little composure

SonofScray
16-08-2020, 08:08 PM
I thought today was the best he has played. And whilst every time he turn to kick it across goal I almost shit out my heart - I thought he did a few really good things and for the first time ever showed a little composure

Had two good, strong moments defending in the air today under some duress. Also the first time I've seen him halve a contest and then win the footy and get a clean disposal. I still don't see what he can offer us that we can't get out of Lewis, with interest.

GetDimmaBack
16-08-2020, 08:09 PM
1. Might be time to turn JJ into Eagleton Mk2?

2. When J Bruce comes back it needs to be at CHF

2. Bailey Williams wins the Most Improved by a mile

Bulldog Joe
16-08-2020, 08:30 PM
1. The coach still refuses to rate rucks (I didn't learn today but it was certainly confirmed)

2. Our forward line is so much better when there is a genuine threat for the high ball.

3. The commentary (actually David King) can in fact add something when they try to tell us things that you might miss from the couch.

Highlighting the work rate of Hunter for his goal was terrific and also later a highlight on Bailey Smith showing just how hard they work. These are things that we might struggle to pick up from the basic coverage.

Remi Moses
16-08-2020, 09:09 PM
1. There’d be 17 people who’d like Naughton in the back line . They coach the other 17 teams
2. King’s commentary, I actually Thought be brought something to the table
3. We just have to improve our defending of D50 transition. It resembles a thorough fare to often

FrediKanoute
16-08-2020, 09:45 PM
1. Adelaide are poor. They have some good players, but no consistent system. The do move the ball well from defence.

2. Naughton is a hard match up when he is in full flight

3. Mitch Wallis does get the kicking yips - that said he was still involved setting up a number of goals. Had an impact whilst not hitting the scoreboard. Nice to see others in the forward line step up today.

Vred
17-08-2020, 12:58 AM
1. Naughton is going to be a wrecking ball as he matures
2. Libba is a man after my own heart, his hands are beyond elite
3. We still have some coaching problems

ratsmac
17-08-2020, 07:32 AM
1. We really missed Naughton more than I thought. Even though Adelaide are rubbish and it's hard to get a read on, Naughton kicked 6 goals on Talia, a seasoned key defender. It felt like 2019 again when we were flying....but yeah its Adelaide

2. Our defensive structures are broken. I thought maybe it was just against.the better teams. I'm not sure how exactly because our back 6 stood up and defended well except for the quick transition. If the opposition move the ball quickly they always get numbers behind our lines are we too slow by foot? Are we too slow to react and read what's unfolding up the field? Are we defending too high? Does our game plan require too many numbers and we leave the defense exposed? Not sure what's not working but even Adelaide worked their way through too easily at times.

3 Josh Bruce may not be the right bloke for us. Without him our forward line felt less congested.....but yeah it was only Adelaide

azabob
17-08-2020, 08:05 AM
3 Josh Bruce may not be the right bloke for us. Without him our forward line felt less congested.....but yeah it was only Adelaide

Is that necessarily his fault?

AshMac
17-08-2020, 08:24 AM
2. Our defensive structures are broken. I thought maybe it was just against.the better teams. I'm not sure how exactly because our back 6 stood up and defended well except for the quick transition. If the opposition move the ball quickly they always get numbers behind our lines are we too slow by foot? Are we too slow to react and read what's unfolding up the field? Are we defending too high? Does our game plan require too many numbers and we leave the defense exposed? Not sure what's not working but even Adelaide worked their way through too easily

This one is difficult one for me. There seem to be three common scenarios:

- Our defensive press is too high before we even get the ball deep into our 50 - a turnover around our 50 arc and we are back peddling to chase guys running into open goals.

- against in form key forwards all our players run for the spoil - essentially to the same spot and when the ball comes to ground the attacking team has the momentum to run with the ball into goal

- we put too much emphasis on controlling a hot footy, lots of handballs to try and get a player free rather than quick long kicks out - not always the answer as it can come back in but particularly in wet conditions we’ve still relied on this style

(Not commenting on errors. They should be very minimal)

Mofra
17-08-2020, 09:22 AM
1. Naughton may rival the King brothers as the best young KPF in the game. How quickly we forgot

2. Bailey Smith with 800m+ gained. Another pre-season and he will be special

3. We look like world beaters against sub-standard opposition.
Adelaide could realistically win the next 3 spoons. Walker and Kelly have one more year of a big contract to go, Sloane has 3 more years of a big contract. Based on cap + culture, they won't attract any player who could help turn the ship around. Their kids look well behind their draft peers which indicates their entire system is flawed. If we really want McAsey, or Atkins, or almost anyone from their list - they're gettable.

Mitcha
17-08-2020, 01:34 PM
Agree on McAsey but would rather he stay where he is for a while to develop, on what I have seen looks a mile off it at the moment which is understandable.Grab him in a couple of years with 30 odd games under his belt and the Crows are still poo, Keath like scenario.

Cyberdoggie
17-08-2020, 01:58 PM
1. Nothings changed, we still look great against weak opposition with no pressure applied. Great at running hard offensively, and poor the other way. Even Adelaide scored several times in a row from the defensive end in concession. The difference when we play top teams is that they continue that trend for the entire quarter.

2. Bont turned a small win into a good win single handedly with his work and pressure in the middle.

3. Surely Lewis Young is a better option to replace Zaine Cordy than Gardner is. No doubt we will make McDonald and Weidemann look like elite forwards this week.

Mitcha
17-08-2020, 07:06 PM
1. Lachie ain't going nowhere.
2. Naughty stays forward, forever.
3. Daniel Talia has been going backwards since he "misplaced" his mobile phone a few years ago.

CarnTheScray
18-08-2020, 09:11 PM
1. Naughton at FF for the next eternity. Keep Bruce at CHF. Naughton is suited for the forced bombs with his contested marking.

2. Richards looks much better off half back but still has room to improve.

3. We missed Hunter.

BONUS
- Gardner cannot play in this side ever again. Looked lost against the bottom side. Bring in Trengove for McDonald.

Danjul
18-08-2020, 09:31 PM
1. Naughton at FF for the next eternity. Keep Bruce at CHF. Naughton is suited for the forced bombs with his contested marking.

2. Richards looks much better off half back but still has room to improve.

3. We missed Hunter.

BONUS
- Gardner cannot play in this side ever again. Looked lost against the bottom side. Bring in Trengove for McDonald.
Bruce is not a long kick is he? I thought he struggled for distance and that significantly impacted his accuracy. I think he has to stay near the goals.

GVGjr
18-08-2020, 10:02 PM
Bruce is not a long kick is he? I thought he struggled for distance and that significantly impacted his accuracy. I think he has to stay near the goals.

Does he get enough of the ball to know if he is a long kick? :)