PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee thread Rd 13 vs Melbourne 2020

Pages : [1] 2

GVGjr
16-08-2020, 03:23 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 12 match against Adelaide for our Round 13, 2020 match against the unpredictable Melbourne on Saturday afternoon?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

Happy Days
16-08-2020, 04:34 PM
Obligatory out Gardner in Young

DOG GOD
16-08-2020, 04:49 PM
Out- English
In- sweet

GVGjr
16-08-2020, 06:00 PM
In - Johannisen, Lewis Young
Out - R.Smith, Lloyd

bornadog
16-08-2020, 06:07 PM
Need to see how injuries go and see whether English comes up and how bad JJ is. Also Vandermeer has done nothing wrong and how long do you keep Bruce out?

Grantysghost
16-08-2020, 06:09 PM
In - Johannisen, Lewis Young
Out - R.Smith, Lloyd

How do we best use Bruce and Naughton? Demons have May, Lever as their tall defenders. Bruce and Naughton working in tandem could really stretch that but after today Naughts seems to like to be the big dog. Be interesting.

Rocco Jones
16-08-2020, 06:12 PM
If everyone is fit
In: Vanders, Bruce/Le Young, JJ
Out: Lloyd, Roarke, West

Keep West in if Vanders or JJ not okay.

Sweet for English if he is out.

GVGjr
16-08-2020, 06:15 PM
How do we best use Bruce and Naughton? Demons have May, Lever as their tall defenders. Bruce and Naughton working in tandem could really stretch that but after today Naughts seems to like to be the big dog. Be interesting.

To me, Bruce doesn't have the form to be included in next weeks line up. I'm hoping Lewis Young provides a better option
I'd be delighted if Vandermeer is available perhaps West has to make way for him as he faded in the 2nd half

I think we are going to need JJ against Melbourne

jazzadogs
16-08-2020, 06:18 PM
Obligatory out Gardner in Young

He had one bad turnover, but otherwise played a solid defensive game. Don't recall him being beaten 1v1, and the stats showed he worked hard by covering the most distance of anyone. I think he comfortably holds his spot this week.

English won't play, so you would imagine Sweet comes in - but for all we know it will be Bruce, Young or Jong that come in as #1 ruck.

I would love for there to be a genuine second ruck option so that we're not throwing Dunkley to the wolves in there. I get that he is a tall midfielder, but he ain't a ruckman. Unfortunately for the duration of English's absence I think we will have to put up with it.

I think Roarke did enough if none of the injured backman are available. I loved Ed Richards off half back.

I thought Lloyd was average, with Dale definitely the better of them. Cavarra and West clearly better as well.

So for me:

Out: English, Lloyd
In: Sweet, Schache/Bruce

comrade
16-08-2020, 06:24 PM
Out: English, R. Smith, Dale, Lloyd
In: Sweet, Vanders, Bruce, JJ

westbulldog
16-08-2020, 06:27 PM
Depends on injuries. Vandermeer must come in for Lloyd, Dale or Rourke Smith. Billy Gowers will likely come back in to ruck against Gawn. Sweet and Lewis Young obviously don't surf or skate.

bornadog
16-08-2020, 06:29 PM
In Bevo's press conference he said English told him he would be right. Bevo said they need to assess him.

Grantysghost
16-08-2020, 06:31 PM
Out : Lloyd, Smith
In : Bruce, JJ

The Doctor
16-08-2020, 06:42 PM
Bruce stays out til he finds fitness and form.

Dickson should be considered and Sweet to be given a chance to ruck in tandem with English.

G-Mo77
16-08-2020, 06:42 PM
Hopefully English plays. I thought there weren't many who struggled so those who get dropped would be unlucky.

Outs:
Gardner: Perfect game for him today, weaker opponent and not being put under pressure but is just not who we want when the blowtorch is on.

Lloyd. Just doesn't do enough IMO. I'd take Dale over him any day of the week and think it's one or the other.

Ins: Young, Bruce.

DOG GOD
16-08-2020, 06:44 PM
Surely they won’t play Gardner on Weideman ?

DOG GOD
16-08-2020, 06:49 PM
Weideman, Frisch, melksham, Pickett and McDonald their mainstays up forward with the likes of Petracca, Sparrow, spargo and harmes rotating. Who does a Gardner go to ? I wouldn’t like him on any of Weideman, Frisch or McDonald

DOG GOD
16-08-2020, 06:50 PM
If fit, we will definitely need Vanda and JJ’s pace against dees.

Happy Days
16-08-2020, 07:15 PM
He had one bad turnover, but otherwise played a solid defensive game. Don't recall him being beaten 1v1, and the stats showed he worked hard by covering the most distance of anyone. I think he comfortably holds his spot this week.

Covering the most ground out of anyone for five touches isn't really a good thing. We'll be better when he's not playing.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-08-2020, 07:17 PM
Who else can we play if not Gardner? Just go small?

comrade
16-08-2020, 07:19 PM
Who else can we play if not Gardner? Just go small?

Lewis Young is a like for like replacement.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-08-2020, 07:24 PM
Lewis Young is a like for like replacement.

Who?

1eyedog
16-08-2020, 07:27 PM
JJ, Lew Young and Vander

R Smith, Gardner and Lloyd

Mantis
16-08-2020, 07:27 PM
All things being equal we played a really poor team today who probably had their worst performance of the year... I have huge question marks on the likes of R.Smith, Gardner, Wood, Lloyd, Dale, West, McLean, Richards & Cavarra being effective contributors against top 8 teams and until we get players 15-22 performing more their roles effectively we’re going to continue to be an inconsistent team.

Much will depend on who we have fit, but I would like to get JJ, Vandermeer and Bruce back into the team.

Grantysghost
16-08-2020, 07:41 PM
Covering the most ground out of anyone for five touches isn't really a good thing. We'll be better when he's not playing.

I'm on the fence with Gardner. Clearly he's a longshot second chance guy who probably is straddling that VFL/AFL divide. However you can not deny he works hard. Walker only kicked 1 goal from a dubious ruck infringement which can't be pinned on a defender. So if last week he conceded 5 and was bad, by that measure he was better today helped by his team mates. Lewis Young is a good young player for sure, and I too have no idea why Gardner would be in front of him but I think it's a little blinkered to suggest it's that black and white. I thought Ryan was OK today. Was his 6th game.

Sedat
16-08-2020, 07:57 PM
Our ruck set up will be interesting next week with Gawn out of the Demons line-up. The English injury is unfortunate because he would be a very tricky match-ups for Preuss, who is ok at ruck contests but has a poor tank.

Sweet is basically a less experienced version of Preuss. Bruce is a nuffy at stoppages and is a ruck pinch-hitter at best.

Grantysghost
16-08-2020, 08:14 PM
Our ruck set up will be interesting next week with Gawn out of the Demons line-up. The English injury is unfortunate because he would be a very tricky match-ups for Preuss, who is ok at ruck contests but has a poor tank.

Sweet is basically a less experienced version of Preuss. Bruce is a nuffy at stoppages and is a ruck pinch-hitter at best.

Gawn is back.

Bulldog Joe
16-08-2020, 08:48 PM
Gawn is back.

Good reason to play Sweet and use his physicality on Maxie

Grantysghost
16-08-2020, 08:59 PM
Good reason to play Sweet and use his physicality on Maxie

Baptism of fire ?

GVGjr
16-08-2020, 09:33 PM
I'm on the fence with Gardner. Clearly he's a longshot second chance guy who probably is straddling that VFL/AFL divide. However you can not deny he works hard. Walker only kicked 1 goal from a dubious ruck infringement which can't be pinned on a defender. So if last week he conceeded 5 and was bad, by that measure he was better today helped by his team mates. Lewis Young is a good young player for sure, and I too have no idea why Gardner would be in front of him but I think it's a little blinkered to suggest it's that black and white. I thought Ryan was OK today. Was his 6th game.

I think you have summed up Gardner perfectly. He's been in the system for a while and we obviously see something that we need in him. He was decent enough today so hard to drop him. He should start to gain some confidence on performances like today

A few weeks back Lachie Young covered a lot of the ground as well. We clearly like to have defenders who are mobile although in fairness to Young he was used as more of a midfielder that day

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-08-2020, 09:43 PM
I think you have summed up Gardner perfectly. He's been in the system for a while and we obviously see something that we need in him. He was decent enough today so hard to drop him. He should start to gain some confidence on performances like today

A few weeks back Lachie Young covered a lot of the ground as well. We clearly like to have defenders who are mobile although in fairness to Young he was used as more of a midfielder that day

He's on a hiding to nothing right now for many supporters. Short of a dominating performance, his in game mistakes will draw more attention than say aan errant pass by Bailey Smith, or Bont,
And yes, we can give those guys a pass because they have 20 or 30 opportunities to make it up during a gamei don't thibk he's the secind coming of Brian Lake, but apart from one poor marking attempt I thought he was solid today.
Yes the Crows were poor, but hopefully he gets some belief and it lessens his anxiety at this level.
He's going to get another strong test next week.

comrade
16-08-2020, 09:48 PM
Gardner definitely had more quality touches today than he's had previously but it was still only 6. The MC needs to continue to back him in and make a definitive call on him at the end of the year. He's got a month to prove he's genuine AFL quality.

Grantysghost
16-08-2020, 09:59 PM
He's on a hiding to nothing right now for many supporters. Short of a dominating performance, his in game mistakes will draw more attention than say aan errant pass by Bailey Smith, or Bont,
And yes, we can give those guys a pass because they have 20 or 30 opportunities to make it up during a gamei don't thibk he's the secind coming of Brian Lake, but apart from one poor marking attempt I thought he was solid today.
Yes the Crows were poor, but hopefully he gets some belief and it lessens his anxiety at this level.
He's going to get another strong test next week.

God so true. It’s like the magnifying glass on an ant. If you look hard enough you’ll find fault. He had some decent disposals today. One really bad one too.

Grantysghost
16-08-2020, 10:00 PM
Gardner definitely had more quality touches today than he's had previously but it was still only 6. The MC needs to continue to back him in and make a definitive call on him at the end of the year. He's got a month to prove he's genuine AFL quality.
Spot on.

Topdog
16-08-2020, 11:25 PM
Look i don't really rate him but there is absolutely no way Gardner can be dropped after that game. Worked hard, was solid in his 1v1s and didn't give away any frees.

westbulldog
16-08-2020, 11:37 PM
Surely they won’t play Gardner on Weideman ?

Nah they will hold him in wait for Kennedy, Darling, Allen and Ryan in Round 16.

bornadog
17-08-2020, 12:09 AM

Morris most weeks only had 6 touches, but he did all the one percenters that Gardner needs to do.

AutoFill
17-08-2020, 12:30 AM
No matter if English plays or not, I’d bring in Sweet. I hope they both play this week. It’s a high risk, mediocre reward game playing one ruckman. I mean, just imagine Timmy rolls his ankle as he did today, but in the first 5 minutes, not the last five. English showed a bit up forward too, albeit against poor opposition. But his best forward work was in the first half when it felt like the game could swing either way. Given that some of our medium forwards / utilities don’t offer much any given game, there is no real risk in playing Sweet and English together. Balance that against having Gardner or Bruce carry the ruck load for half or more of a game, and the rest of the restructure that would come with it. It’s no coincidence that this season the top teams are almost all playing two rucks, or at least a genuine ruckman and someone else genuine ruckman height and able to break even. That all being said, when was the last time Bevo picked two rucks in the same side? Has he ever?

Vred
17-08-2020, 12:52 AM
No matter if English plays or not, I’d bring in Sweet. I hope they both play this week. It’s a high risk, mediocre reward game playing one ruckman. I mean, just imagine Timmy rolls his ankle as he did today, but in the first 5 minutes, not the last five. English showed a bit up forward too, albeit against poor opposition. But his best forward work was in the first half when it felt like the game could swing either way. Given that some of our medium forwards / utilities don’t offer much any given game, there is no real risk in playing Sweet and English together. Balance that against having Gardner or Bruce carry the ruck load for half or more of a game, and the rest of the restructure that would come with it. It’s no coincidence that this season the top teams are almost all playing two rucks, or at least a genuine ruckman and someone else genuine ruckman height and able to break even. That all being said, when was the last time Bevo picked two rucks in the same side? Has he ever?

I agree, we need to be playing two rucks this game, Sweet and English if his fit.

The Pie Man
17-08-2020, 12:27 PM
Don't think Tim will get up for this week - unless Bevo's playing media games (entirely possible)

Sweet the obvious in to debut if that is the case.

Assuming JJ & Vandermeer are right, they need to come in. Roarke Smith one (fairly stiff) omission....I'd drop Lloyd for Vandermeer, but they won't do that.....thought Lipinski looked better than previous weeks.....really don't want to drop West, but is it a case of least senior member out?

Then there's Josh Bruce....who I get's been not great, but if Sweet rucks in place of English, we'll need more than Dunkley to help.

Really happy Cavarra played the way he did, let's see him build

bulldogsthru&thru
17-08-2020, 12:32 PM
Don't think Tim will get up for this week - unless Bevo's playing media games (entirely possible)

Assuming JJ & Vandermeer are right, they need to come in. Roarke Smith one (fairly stiff) omission....I'd drop Lloyd for Vandermeer, but they won't do that.....thought Lipinski looked better than previous weeks.....really don't want to drop West, but is it a case of least senior member out?

Then there's Josh Bruce....who I get's been not great, but if Sweet rucks in place of English, we'll need more than Dunkley to help.

Really happy Cavarra played the way he did, let's see him build

Is Gawn playing this week? I'm not sure on his injury status. Hopefully he misses.

Grantysghost
17-08-2020, 12:35 PM
Is Gawn playing this week? I'm not sure on his injury status. Hopefully he misses.

All the information I've seen points to him being available.

mjp
17-08-2020, 01:04 PM

Isn't Trengove the 'obvious' replacement.

I have zero enthusiasm for giving Sweet a debut as the LONE RUCKMAN vs Max Gawn.

That seems like folly bordering on cruelty (or stupidity depending on your perspective).

Grantysghost
17-08-2020, 01:05 PM
Scratch match "info". No mention of Young.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/796876/hayes-dickson-impress-in-scratch-match

Happy Days
17-08-2020, 01:05 PM

I have zero enthusiasm for giving Sweet a debut as the LONE RUCKMAN vs Max Gawn.

That seems like folly bordering on cruelty (or stupidity depending on your perspective).

100% agree. If Gawn plays we can't do Sweet like that.

Happy Days
17-08-2020, 01:06 PM

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/796876/hayes-dickson-impress-in-scratch-match

Why can't they give a wrap of every player, even if it's only a line or two. Or even some small amount of vision.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-08-2020, 01:06 PM

Not even in the photo! The photographer must have lined himself up perfectly with Butler, Gowers and Khamis to ensure Lewy (it might be the top of his head, I'm not sure) wasn't in the shot he's going so poorly.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-08-2020, 01:10 PM

Wait for it.....Gowers kicked 3.

There's some interesting comments in this review. Namely the fact the players wanted to know the score during the match. I think that says a lot about how hard it is to get a good gauge on who desrves a recall. These aren't particulary competitive matches.

Axe Man
17-08-2020, 01:13 PM

Have to agree. It's make or break this week, have to pick the best side.

Lose and we have the rest of the season to play the likes of Sweet.

Axe Man
17-08-2020, 01:15 PM
Why can't they give a wrap of every player, even if it's only a line or two. Or even some small amount of vision.

I've seen other clubs do the same sort of brief write up but on every listed player, not just a select few. Surely the coaches have enough downtime in the hub to knock something a little more enlightening up.

Grantysghost
17-08-2020, 01:18 PM

Its a good point. It cant be that hard.

The Pie Man
17-08-2020, 02:38 PM

Fair point....but does Jackson go anywhere near the ruck contests anymore? Seems he's been written off as backline back up at best.

We threw English to wolves somewhat, Sweet is at least more physically prepared for senior football than Tim was (is)

mjp
17-08-2020, 03:06 PM
We are (no doubt) going to play around with the bottom 5-6 of our squad.

Players in danger:

Gardner
West
Cavarra
R. Smith

Who else? I have seen a few calls for Lloyd or Dale to be left out - I can't see it...those two have played every week they have been available. I guess McLean could be in danger (again) though I thought he played an improved game in terms of 'consistently concentrating' and looking to remain involved...

BornInDroopSt'54
17-08-2020, 03:16 PM
You guys are knowledgeable, perceptive and total optimists. Me too I hope but not so optimistic to think I know what MC will do. I think Bruce and Naughton can play together as a double headed monster, together bagging 8 goals or more but this round v Melb? Why not? Won't get picked I dare say.
However in MC we trust. Do we go for a shootout again and back ourselves to move the ball better or concentrate on defence? Our midfield v Melb's.

bornadog
17-08-2020, 03:18 PM
We are (no doubt) going to play around with the bottom 5-6 of our squad.

Players in danger:

Gardner
West
Cavarra
R. Smith

Who else? I have seen a few calls for Lloyd or Dale to be left out - I can't see it...those two have played every week they have been available. I guess McLean could be in danger (again) though I thought he played an improved game in terms of 'consistently concentrating' and looking to remain involved...

I think Cavarra is safe. He kicked a couple and could have had two more. If he kicks two every week and lays a few tackles and pressures opponents, that is what we want.

West may miss for Vander, and Smith for JJ. Not sure what we are doing about Bruce, and who he replaces.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-08-2020, 03:19 PM
If we play both Bruce and Naughts they'll have to know how to keep out of each others way. I recall Bruce was playing a bit of a decoy role in the first few weeks until Naughts got injured. Aaron really benefited from being the main man up yesterday and not having to contend with his own teammates.

Rocket Science
17-08-2020, 03:33 PM
Lloyd should be vulnerable but I think his value to the team increases as our form improves, not withstanding the dearth of ready-made upgrades at our disposal.

You'd think JJ replaces Roarke too.

How far away's Vandermeer? If he's available I suspect West comes out.

Can't wait for Bevo's plan for Gawn if English fails to get up. Everything and anything is in play.

mjp
17-08-2020, 03:59 PM
I think Cavarra is safe. He kicked a couple and could have had two more. If he kicks two every week and lays a few tackles and pressures opponents, that is what we want.

Well...zero crumbing goals though (once thanks to the Macrae contest, one mark over the back)...

I think we should persevere but it depends on what he was asked to do I guess...

Happy Days
17-08-2020, 05:05 PM
Well...zero crumbing goals though (once thanks to the Macrae contest, one mark over the back)...

I think we should persevere but it depends on what he was asked to do I guess...

Bit harsh.

mjp
17-08-2020, 05:10 PM
Bit harsh.

LOL.

It probably is. But West got dropped after one game and I can only assume he didn't do what he was supposed to do. I like Cavarra fine and think he is light years ahead of Weightman in being 'READY', but if you say "2-goals is enough", well, I think it is worth breaking down how he got them.

It was a good mark to be sure - but it was 'over the back' wasn't it...and there were zero crumbing goals...so...what is he being judged on? All I am saying I guess is literally NOTHING would surprise me!

The Pie Man
17-08-2020, 05:16 PM
LOL.

It probably is. But West got dropped after one game and I can only assume he didn't do what he was supposed to do. I like Cavarra fine and think he is light years ahead of Weightman in being 'READY', but if you say "2-goals is enough", well, I think it is worth breaking down how he got them.

It was a good mark to be sure - but it was 'over the back' wasn't it...and there were zero crumbing goals...so...what is he being judged on? All I am saying I guess is literally NOTHING would surprise me!

I was encouraged by his performance, but tackles would be a key stat for Ben. Only two yesterday.

He was busy though

Happy Days
17-08-2020, 05:18 PM
I went to check the pressure act stat to see how Cav went, and was astonished to find Bont had THIRTY FOUR. I’m not fully across the ins and outs of the measure but surely that’s the most ever. Seems astonishing to have a combination of around 70 touches and pressure acts.

Mofra
17-08-2020, 05:25 PM
I went to check the pressure act stat to see how Cav went, and was astonished to find Bont had THIRTY FOUR. I’m not fully across the ins and outs of the measure but surely that’s the most ever. Seems astonishing to have a combination of around 70 touches and pressure acts.
His previous best was mid 20s? Bont's effort can't be questioned. He's up at the top of the kms covered per game stats too.

Grantysghost
17-08-2020, 05:35 PM

Crikey. Keays really did well.

bornadog
17-08-2020, 05:37 PM

and Cav?

Happy Days
17-08-2020, 05:44 PM
and Cav?

I object to answering the question as it does not fit my narrative.

FrediKanoute
17-08-2020, 07:00 PM
I object to answering the question as it does not fit my narrative.

Is that suggesting that Cav's pressure in the forward half was not quite where we would want it to be?

What was lloyd's pressure act rating? What about Wallis? To me these are the guys that Cav is competing for for a place.

Axe Man
17-08-2020, 08:05 PM
Is that suggesting that Cav's pressure in the forward half was not quite where we would want it to be?

What was lloyd's pressure act rating? What about Wallis? To me these are the guys that Cav is competing for for a place.

Cavarra was pretty bang smack in the middle of the team leader board yesterday with 10 pressure acts.

Apart from Bont with 34 and English with 17, the leaders yesterday were dominated by Crows players, presumably because we had the ball most of the time.

As a comparison Wallis had 15, West 14, Lloyd 6.

josie
17-08-2020, 08:11 PM

West may miss for Vander, and Smith for JJ. Not sure what we are doing about Bruce, and who he replaces.

Agree. I will be unhappy if Cav is dropped. I thought he did AOK and if he repeats that each week we've found our small pressure forward. This will be a challenge of course as Crows are a poor side. I think if Bruce comes in one of Lloyd or Dale comes out.

1eyedog
17-08-2020, 08:33 PM

Cav ain't competing with Wally. No one is competing with Wally.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-08-2020, 08:41 PM
Cavarra was pretty bang smack in the middle of the team leader board yesterday with 10 pressure acts.

Apart from Bont with 34 and English with 17, the leaders yesterday were dominated by Crows players, presumably because we had the ball most of the time.

As a comparison Wallis had 15, West 14, Lloyd 6.

Where are these stats from? It’d be interesting to compare our forward pressure acts compared to some of the leading teams. We know it’s a weakness of ours but how bad are we really?

SonofScray
18-08-2020, 09:46 AM
I am going to assume English won't get up.

Lloyd played himself out the side I think. Wally has been kicking goals, Dale working harder up and down the ground, West harder at it, and now Cavarra looking better suited underneath Naughty. Sam looks a little uncomfortable out there and just isn't looking dangerous enough.

Cavarra gets a few extra cracks at it.

I want West and Dutch in the side as often as possible from this point on. They really are bringing a Bulldog like mentality to the squad & I think our forward line in particular will benefit from them and Naughty really wanting to compete and beat their opponents at every contest.

Gardner I don't think is up to the standard, but he'll stay in for a bit now I suspect.

IN: JT, JJ, LV
OUT: TE, RS, SL

Axe Man
18-08-2020, 10:08 AM
Where are these stats from? It’d be interesting to compare our forward pressure acts compared to some of the leading teams. We know it’s a weakness of ours but how bad are we really?

Just the AFL website. The stats section is pretty good and you can customise just about any stat you can think of for your player of choice.

westbulldog
18-08-2020, 10:59 AM
Could the Club make a public statement that there have been no quarantine breaches a la Sydney Swans ?

bornadog
18-08-2020, 11:13 AM
Could the Club make a public statement that there have been no quarantine breaches a la Sydney Swans ?

Why? do you think there has been?

Ozza
18-08-2020, 12:41 PM
Of all the week's to consider Trengove....this is definitely NOT one of them. Praying that English is right to go.

JT as a defender this week is a horrific match up for both McDonald and Weideman who are good athletes and will get JT out the back. Gawn also covers the ground really well for a giant. I think Lewis Young matches up well on Weideman and Keath should be able to handle McDonald. Wood to Melksham.

In the midfield I'd be looking to have Dunkley or Macrae man Oliver closely at the stoppagess.

Rocket Science
18-08-2020, 01:02 PM
https://i.ibb.co/bRCx4yv/Screen-Shot-2020-08-18-at-11-59-17-am.png (https://ibb.co/0V6k0W9)

Grantysghost
18-08-2020, 01:18 PM
https://i.ibb.co/bRCx4yv/Screen-Shot-2020-08-18-at-11-59-17-am.png (https://ibb.co/0V6k0W9)

That must be rough as a player. Flip side you're bloody close !
Bailey Williams? I thought he'd played every game.

Edit :There's a Bailey J Williams West Coast ruckman. I'm learnding.

Ozza
18-08-2020, 01:19 PM

There's a Bailey Williams on WCE list

Axe Man
18-08-2020, 01:20 PM

Bailey Williams from West Coast - like Sweet a young ruckman.

Grantysghost
18-08-2020, 01:21 PM

GVGjr
18-08-2020, 01:45 PM
Do you think when Jordan (ER) Sweet travel on planes he gets the seat next to the emergency exit?

Rocket Science
18-08-2020, 02:19 PM
Do you think when Jordan (ER) Sweet travel on planes he gets the seat next to the emergency exit?

https://i.ibb.co/g9CL9cW/sweet.png (https://imgbb.com/)

I'll see myself out.

GVGjr
18-08-2020, 03:07 PM
According to Stevo

Crozier a key player at Dogs. Looks set to return. Bruce a lock, Johannisen and Vandermeer also right to go. English now looks better than 50 per cent chance. @7NewsMelbourne
@7AFL

Bruce a lock?, lets not pretend that form is a driving part of our selections.

Bulldog Revolution
18-08-2020, 03:08 PM
I reckon Sweet will debut this week

bulldogsthru&thru
18-08-2020, 03:11 PM
Crozier back so early? That's good. But along with Bruce, JJ and Vanders who will make way?

4 need to come out. R Smith would be one. You'd probably have to say West, Cavarra/Loyd. Who else?

GVGjr
18-08-2020, 03:12 PM
I reckon Sweet will debut this week

Fair chance I would think

"Back in the old days you needed to have 100 nominations on the emergency bench before they would think of selecting you" :)

bornadog
18-08-2020, 03:18 PM
https://i.ibb.co/g9CL9cW/sweet.png (https://imgbb.com/)

I'll see myself out.

Nice one, I am using that :D

Rocket Science
18-08-2020, 03:18 PM
Crozier back so early? That's good. But along with Bruce, JJ and Vanders who will make way?

4 need to come out. R Smith would be one. You'd probably have to say West, Cavarra/Loyd. Who else?

If Stevo's on the money those are some very welcome INS.

At a guess ...

JJ in - R. Smith out
Bruce in - Cavarra out
Vandermeer in - West out
Crozier in - Gardner out

Cavarra out after potting a pair seems rough but gut says Bevo will err towards Lloyd.

Some genuine competition for spots is a nice thing.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-08-2020, 03:21 PM
If Stevo's on the money those are some very welcome INS.

At a guess ...

JJ in - R. Smith out
Bruce in - Cavarra out
Vandermeer in - West out
Crozier in - Gardner out

Cavarra out after potting a pair seems rough but gut says Bevo will err towards Lloyd.

Some genuine competition for spots is a nice thing.

Are we too small in defence without Gardner?

1eyedog
18-08-2020, 03:26 PM
Are we too small in defence without Gardner?

Definitely. Keath the only bloke over 6'2.

comrade
18-08-2020, 03:44 PM
Cavarra has to be given a run of games.

If Bruce is coming back (and I don't personally think he should until he builds some form through scratch matches/training) then it has be for one of Dale/Lloyd.

Axe Man
18-08-2020, 03:51 PM

Mclean would have to be vulnerable.

bornadog
18-08-2020, 03:55 PM
Mclean would have to be vulnerable.

Only 4 disposals in the first half, very poor game again.

azabob
18-08-2020, 04:01 PM
We need to bring Bruce or Sweet in so we can play two permanent Key Forwards (Naughton & Bruce or Naughton & English)

May and Lever need to be kept accountable otherwise they will intercept everything.

Bulldog Revolution
18-08-2020, 04:13 PM
Whats Cordys status - will he be back in the mix?

bornadog
18-08-2020, 05:03 PM
Whats Cordys status - will he be back in the mix?

Few weeks still to go

bornadog
18-08-2020, 05:04 PM
From Melbourne Injury list

Gawn's now missed the Demons' past two matches, with his PCL issue seemingly a greater concern than the tear at the back of his shoulder. Melbourne is hopeful he will return to face the Western Bulldogs on Saturday.

Max Gawn
Shoulder/Knee
Test

Grantysghost
18-08-2020, 05:22 PM

He was OK I think? Tackle numbers were high anyway equal second behind Bont, kicked a nice goal.

Axe Man
18-08-2020, 05:25 PM
From Melbourne Injury list

Gawn's now missed the Demons' past two matches, with his PCL issue seemingly a greater concern than the tear at the back of his shoulder. Melbourne is hopeful he will return to face the Western Bulldogs on Saturday.

Max Gawn
Shoulder/Knee
Test

https://i.postimg.cc/C5dsKP3V/max.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
https://i.postimg.cc/GtNJTPRT/max2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

bulldogsthru&thru
18-08-2020, 05:54 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/C5dsKP3V/max.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
https://i.postimg.cc/GtNJTPRT/max2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Jeez you wouldn't want to risk him by rushing him back. But given this is a crucial game for finals chances I can see them doing it.

josie
18-08-2020, 06:07 PM

I have not looked at replay however I thought Mclean was kind of ok without being good if that makes sense. Will be difficult for MC this week.

bornadog
18-08-2020, 06:14 PM
I have not looked at replay however I thought Mclean was kind of ok without being good if that makes sense. Will be difficult for MC this week.

He seems to disappear for parts of the game

josie
18-08-2020, 07:50 PM
He seems to disappear for parts of the game

Fair enough-also as a senior player he needs to set an example.

kruder
18-08-2020, 08:01 PM
Have to play Bruce IMO.

We finally get Naughty back, we can't afford to go into next year continuing to experiment with our best mix again. They need time to develop together, the final 5 weeks this year is the perfect time to do it.

Bevo needs to go into next year with the foundation already in place, we can't afford to start another year at ground zero again.

Grantysghost
18-08-2020, 08:16 PM
Have to play Bruce IMO.

We finally get Naughty back, we can't afford to go into next year continuing to experiment with our best mix again. They need time to develop together, the final 5 weeks this year is the perfect time to do it.

Bevo needs to go into next year with the foundation already in place, we can't afford to start another year at ground zero again.

If we can get Bruce and Naughton right probably be most potent tall forward setup we've seen in recent memory.

kruder
18-08-2020, 08:33 PM
Lippa and Loyd must be a big chance to come out this week, they both been very average indeed.

I think Vander/West/Wallis bring more heat collectively which will complement Naughty & Bruce(please stand 10m apart at all times).

Rocket Science
18-08-2020, 08:42 PM
Issues of conditioning and chemistry aside, the best thing for Bruce might be not having to be the first banana and the time and space that ensues when opponents have to worry about more than one threat.

Grantysghost
18-08-2020, 08:56 PM
Lippa and Loyd must be a big chance to come out this week, they both been very average indeed.

I think Vander/West/Wallis bring more heat collectively which will complement Naughty & Bruce(please stand 10m apart at all times).

Agree Lipinski was probably the guy I'd think might make way for Vandermeer.

Grantysghost
18-08-2020, 08:57 PM
Issues of conditioning and chemistry aside, the best thing for Bruce might be not having to be the first banana and the time and space that ensues when opponents have to worry about more than one threat.
How did he work not being the big palm tree with Membrey?

Bumper Bulldogs
18-08-2020, 09:00 PM

I thought he was OK. He blocked around stoppages for Bont which helped get him going.

I think Loyd and R Smith are the two on the chopping block. Also Dale was a touch better than West but I think we will get more from playing West at the rest of Astronaut and Juicy than persisting with Dale.

jeemak
18-08-2020, 09:07 PM
I thought Toby was OK as well, some instances of having excellent hands and put pressure on around the ball.

Rocket Science
18-08-2020, 09:43 PM
How did he work not being the big palm tree with Membrey?

Excluding his 2018 that was basically written off (3 games) through injury he averaged 40 goals a season stretching back to 2015 - on a cruddy Saints outfit no less.

That'd make Bruce our leading goalkicker not named Stringer in every season going back to the Barry Hall days.

We need to figure out how best to capitalise on our investment here.

Bumper Bulldogs
18-08-2020, 10:28 PM
Excluding his 2018 that was basically written off (3 games) through injury he averaged 40 goals a season stretching back to 2015 - on a cruddy Saints outfit no less.

That'd make Bruce our leading goalkicker not named Stringer in every season going back to the Barry Hall days.

We need to figure out how best to capitalise on our investment here.

True but Bruce just looks not fit enough right now. He and we need to adjust to each other. Or build that chemistry they talk about. I just don’t understand the way we set up at a centre bounce with our players all starting within 20m if each other. Why not spread the defence and play two as high forwards and leave Bruce and one other with 35m space to do what they do best.

Dry Rot
18-08-2020, 10:42 PM
Is Schache still on our list?

Danjul
18-08-2020, 10:53 PM
Yes, but he has averaged more goals a game since he joined the Dogs than either Naughton or Bruce. So why would he be relevant?

Grantysghost
18-08-2020, 10:54 PM
I saw him at the club bbq on the website so he's still around :cool:

jazzadogs
18-08-2020, 11:24 PM

Been a common feature on the injury list and as a result struggled for form. I really like Schache and would like to see him in the 22, but it seems form and fitness have kept him out (behind an unfit and out of form Josh Bruce).

Rocket Science
18-08-2020, 11:25 PM

Maybe Bevo does a Bevo and names Schache instead of Bruce.

Regardless, if Ugle-Hagan's remotely ready to assume a spot next year you'd think Schache's about to get 'Trengoved'.

Dry Rot
19-08-2020, 01:09 AM
get 'Trengoved'.

Well done.

Great new verb to describe some MC decisions.

Scraggers
19-08-2020, 02:02 AM
Maybe Bevo does a Bevo and names Schache instead of Bruce.

Regardless, if Ugle-Hagan's remotely ready to assume a spot next year you'd think Schache's about to get 'Trengoved'.

Could Schache be ‘Liam Jonesed’ ??

FrediKanoute
19-08-2020, 04:08 AM
Could Schache be ‘Liam Jonesed’ ??

I have often wondered that. Could he become the tall defender we are looking for? He has the tank.

You have to wonder that if we can't find a role for him whether it would be better to for us to trade him.

Danjul
19-08-2020, 10:01 AM
I have often wondered that. Could he become the tall defender we are looking for? He has the tank.

You have to wonder that if we can't find a role for him whether it would be better to for us to trade him.

Schache is not strong above his head, but he is an excellent lead and beautiful kick. His position is leading from the pocket or the space at CHF. He combines well with other forwards (note Bruce getting 6 and most of the wins last year). There is an obvious role for him.

An interesting observation is from the last 40 games ....

when Schache plays we usually win, when he doesn’t we usually lose.

Remi Moses
19-08-2020, 10:38 AM
The problems Is Schache’s lack of intensity
Nothing to do with ability

soupman
19-08-2020, 10:40 AM
I was thinking about Schache playing in defence the other day, mainly while watching Gardner getting beat up by Hipwood.

Now first things first I do believe Schache can be a decent forward, but don't really see him being a key forward (more a "general forward", a bit like Lloyd, Wallis, Dale, Greene ie. A bit of everything without having a clearly defined role as being the crumber or the target or the pressure guy). Obviously we have an abundance of that type which isn't ideal, as any more than 2 of them really starts to limit your attack. I do think he has shown he can link up as well as any of our forward guys, and I love his accuracy, but his down games are very bad.

Anyway, if we are keen on a tall, rangy and not overly physical defender like Gardner then Schache could be worth a go. He is not particularly strong overhead but in this role we just need him to spoil, not intercept. He is a fantastic kick, and moves pretty well (albeit a touch slow). He lacks intensity a little, but that hasn't held back other players from succeeding down there. I look at Lukosius and his kicking coming out of defence and think Schache could be the discount version of that. Certainly i think he has a higher ceiling than Gardner (I know I know easy target). I guess the other issue is that he seems already a little frozen out and JUH is surely ahead of him in the pecking order next year so unless we are happy to have him in the Jordon Sweet role of "Break glass in emergency" he probably needs to find a way to offer something more.

comrade
19-08-2020, 10:43 AM
I was thinking about Schache playing in defence the other day, mainly while watching Gardner getting beat up by Hipwood.

Now first things first I do believe Schache can be a decent forward, but don't really see him being a key forward (more a "general forward", a bit like Lloyd, Wallis, Dale, Greene ie. A bit of everything without having a clearly defined role as being the crumber or the target or the pressure guy). Obviously we have an abundance of that type which isn't ideal, as any more than 2 of them really starts to limit your attack. I do think he has shown he can link up as well as any of our forward guys, and I love his accuracy, but his down games are very bad.

Anyway, if we are keen on a tall, rangy and not overly physical defender like Gardner then Schache could be worth a go. He is not particularly strong overhead but in this role we just need him to spoil, not intercept. He is a fantastic kick, and moves pretty well (albeit a touch slow). He lacks intensity a little, but that hasn't held back other players from succeeding down there. I look at Lukosius and his kicking coming out of defence and think Schache could be the discount version of that. Certainly i think he has a higher ceiling than Gardner (I know I know easy target). I guess the other issue is that he seems already a little frozen out and JUH is surely ahead of him in the pecking order next year so unless we are happy to have him in the Jordon Sweet role of "Break glass in emergency" he probably needs to find a way to offer something more.

Before we throw him on the discard pile, we definitely should trial Schache in defense. It might not work but what is there to lose?

Mofra
19-08-2020, 10:47 AM
He doesn't have the explosive pace of Jones, he does have a very good field kick for his size.
Perhaps being led to the ball might ensure his concentration stays high. One advantage he does have is tank - he'd make the opposition forward accountable when we win the ball back.

I'm not sure it would be a success but it's worth at least trying. If Naughton can become the best young key forward in the game according to some, you never know.

1eyedog
19-08-2020, 11:09 AM
I like the idea of trialing Schache in defence. While not as good as Moore in the air I can see a similar role to what Moore plays with the Pies.

Happy Days
19-08-2020, 11:22 AM
If Schache's move is giving up on games while in attack, I'm terrified of what might happen when he does it as a backman.

Rocket Science
19-08-2020, 11:42 AM
Schache to defence?

Pros: Good aerobic fitness, good by foot.

Cons: Poor closing speed, poor in aerial contests, lacks urgency, struggles with physicality.

I get musing about this as a what-if exercise, particularly while we're nursing the likes of Gardner back there for lack of superior options, but scratching the surface of the 'why not?' argument, who truly thinks the tools are there for it to work in the pressure cooker of a modern backline?

Who would you put Schache on this week versus Melbourne for instance?

---

I'm still of the view there's a role for him as a high roving forward with smart leading to give our exits a reliable option coupled with good foot skills to effect quality forward entries while Naughts, Bruce and Co. do their thing.

soupman
19-08-2020, 11:56 AM
I'm still of the view there's a role for him as a high roving forward with smart leading to give our exits a reliable option coupled with good foot skills to effect quality forward entries while Naughts, Bruce and Co. do their thing.

I also have this as my preferred option for him, and think he has been encouraging in that role. He has had his fair share of nothing games, but he gets dropped for them while others get carried through them.

I'm not sure his pace is too big an issue down back, it is rare we get exposed that badly for pace in defence anyway as we either lock it up or are caught over the back where it's often inconsequential anyway as the goal was given up through poor positioning.

As Beveridge stated after the Hipwood debacle we don't have set matchups, so he would be rotating between McDonald and Weideman with Keath (and Gardner if he remained). How he would go I don't know, but I don't think he lacks any attributes Gardner has except for potentially effort, and even Cordy doesn't have a lot over him other than intensity (I admit that is a big factor but maybe being entrusted in that role as Gardner/Cordy have been might help him embrace that side a bit more).

bulldogsthru&thru
19-08-2020, 12:00 PM
Liam Jones was knocked for his intensity too as a forward. As in deciding when to have it and when he didn't feel like it. When he was with us I would have said it was crazy to try him as a defender.

Naturally, Josh is an excellent forward but I'm happy to give it a shot in defence. In the scratch matches/VFL firstly of course. Reality is he almost has to if he wants to play each week in the AFL with us. I can't see how we can play all of Naughton, Bruce and Schache in the same forward line. We would be too slow and as soon as the ball hits the deck we'd concede a goal almost automatically. Next season with JUM, Josh will be pushed further back in the forward pecking order. I see no reason why JUM can't make impressions early on. I don't expect it but I don't think its impossible. Gone are the days of new draftees taking years to develop. We've seen in the AFL and other sports around the world that first year players can have an impact.

soupman
19-08-2020, 12:05 PM
Liam Jones was knocked for his intensity too as a forward. As in deciding when to have it and when he didn't feel like it. When he was with us I would have said it was crazy to try him as a defender.

I think the craziest part of making him a defender was he was atrocious in open play with the ball. Panicky and a complete lottery of a kick.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-08-2020, 12:07 PM

Naturally, Josh is an excellent forward but I'm happy to give it a shot in defence. In the scratch matches/VFL firstly of course.

Liam was good overhead however, with an excellent leap.
I agree i would never have though to play Liam in defense due to the unpredictability of his kicking, and decision making.

I just have different concerns about Schache in defense, mainly around his lack of physicality, poor overhead, not really showing he enjoys contrsted situations. He's not shown much in the way of strength either.
For all his strengths as a kick for goal, I'm not sure he's demonstrated he's a reliable field kick or decision maker.

I'd really like to see him get a sustained shot as a forward along side Bruce or Naughts. But I can't see him playing alongside both.

comrade
19-08-2020, 12:25 PM
Schache to defence?

Pros: Good aerobic fitness, good by foot.

Cons: Poor closing speed, poor in aerial contests, lacks urgency, struggles with physicality.

That doesn't stop Gardner from getting picked at AFL level.

And given we've never seen him in defence, we don't know what his closing speed or defensive contest work is really like.

jeemak
19-08-2020, 12:26 PM
If we can try LA Young on a wing, can we trial Schache there? I like the idea of having a tall bail out option as the second kick out up the line to nullify the contest at least and he can use it will by foot.

Possibly a bit slow, sure, but provides a good point of difference to Hunter and has an excellent tank so should be able to cover ground.

Happy Days
19-08-2020, 12:34 PM
If we can try LA Young on a wing, can we trial Schache there? I like the idea of having a tall bail out option as the second kick out up the line to nullify the contest at least and he can use it will by foot.

Possibly a bit slow, sure, but provides a good point of difference to Hunter and has an excellent tank so should be able to cover ground.

I’ve been wanting to do this for years. It would let him get the most out of his skillset and force him to stay engaged, plus we still have an obvious need at the position.

Danjul
19-08-2020, 12:54 PM
Before we throw him on the discard pile, we definitely should trial Schache in defense. It might not work but what is there to lose?
I cannot understand what is going on here.

Last 4 home and away games 2019:

Schache - 14, 13, 7, 16 possessions, goals - 10. (coming back from concussion).

Naughton - 14, 14, 8, 9 possessions, goals - 7.

Yet one is a basket case and the other is the competition superstar.

Both were great and played well together. But only one is allowed to play his natural game.

So we get Bruce, in his first 4 games - 6, 11, 6, 8 possessions, goals - 2.

Yes, this is great !!!

What happened after his 2 possession game in round 10? Selected!

No wonder the team has underperformed (and badly) over the last 50 games.

Axe Man
19-08-2020, 01:01 PM
The frustrating thing with Schache is that he can play with intensity and hardness, but seems to pick and choose when he does this.

Was it last season he almost broke his neck against St Kilda backing into a pack? It was incredibly brave.

I like the idea of him playing as a high half forward, using his tank to push back and forth between the arcs with the ability at times to drop back to support the defence in the air and of course push forward and be dangerous.

Failing that defence is worth a try, or "Liam Jones" him and trade him to Carlton for the next Caleb Daniel.;)

Ozza
19-08-2020, 01:02 PM

Both were great and played well together. But only one is allowed to play his natural game.

Yes, this is great !!!

Different rules for different players. Schache and West don't get the multiple chances other players do.
Very frustrating.

1eyedog
19-08-2020, 01:03 PM

Remember when Richo went to a wing and nearly won a Brownlow.

Axe Man
19-08-2020, 01:06 PM

Yes, this is great !!!

Do you actually watch football or just read the stats? Can you seriously not see the difference between Naughton and Schache? Most of us agree that Bruce has struggled but Schache is a completely different player to Bruce and can't play the same role.

Ozza
19-08-2020, 01:13 PM
Do you actually watch football or just read the stats? Can you seriously not see the difference between Naughton and Schache? Most of us agree that Bruce has struggled but Schache is a completely different player to Bruce and can't play the same role.

Not to speak for Danjul....and correct me if I'm wrong....but I don't think he is making a point about Naughton/Bruce playing the same role as Schache, but more that Schache seems to be on the outer and we are discussing whether he gets re-purposed as a defender like he has been an abject failure up forward - when the stats don't really support that.

I could be wrong, but I read that as the point being made.

My own view is that Schache seems to get treated more critically than others and we should have been persisting with him as a forward. I think continuity at AFL level would be great for Schaq.

Axe Man
19-08-2020, 01:23 PM
Not to speak for Danjul....and correct me if I'm wrong....but I don't think he is making a point about Naughton/Bruce playing the same role as Schache, but more that Schache seems to be on the outer and we are discussing whether he gets re-purposed as a defender like he has been an abject failure up forward - when the stats don't really support that.

I could be wrong, but I read that as the point being made.

My own view is that Schache seems to get treated more critically than others and we should have been persisting with him as a forward. I think continuity at AFL level would be great for Schaq.

Schache was rightly dropped for what most of us perceived as a complete lack of intensity and effort. Since then he hasn't had a clear run injury wise. Bruce has really struggled but I don't think he can be accused of not trying. I just don't think there is any comparison between the 2 Josh's other than being tall forwards, their circumstances this season are totally different.

Axe Man
19-08-2020, 01:38 PM
Different rules for different players. Schache and West don't get the multiple chances other players do.
Very frustrating.

The West example gets used a bit on here which I find interesting.

We all like the way West goes about it, he's hard, tough and gives his all. But he makes a lot of mistakes. An errant handball on the weekend lead to a Crows goal. He can shank kicks and often tries to do too much. The kid will learn and improve but I don't think there's anything wrong with dropping him sometimes to work on those deficiencies.

I wonder do these things often get overlooked by posters because he's tough and the son of a legend? If Gowers or Gardner were responsible of some of the things West does the game day thread would blow up.

This is in no way a criticism of West but an observation of how we also sometimes have different rules for different players.

comrade
19-08-2020, 01:41 PM
The West example gets used a bit on here which I find interesting.

We all like the way West goes about it, he's hard, tough and gives his all. But he makes a lot of mistakes. An errant handball on the weekend lead to a Crows goal. He can shank kicks and often tries to do too much. The kid will learn and improve but I don't think there's anything wrong with dropping him sometimes to work on those deficiencies.

I wonder do these things often get overlooked by posters because he's tough and the son of a legend? If Gowers or Gardner were responsible of some of the things West does the game day thread would blow up.

This is in no way a criticism of West but an observation of how we also sometimes have different rules for different players.

Because he does other things to make up for his mistakes. See the play where West got absolutely smashed by Talia, but it directly led to Bont's goal.

A 20 year old in his second year should get more leeway.

Axe Man
19-08-2020, 01:47 PM
Because he does other things to make up for his mistakes. See the play where West got absolutely smashed by Talia, but it directly led to Bont's goal.

I totally get it. I reckon hard players tend to get a lot more leeway. Not saying it's right or wrong, it's just an observation.

bornadog
19-08-2020, 01:48 PM

Agree

West hasn't set the world on fire with his 4 games this year. He has kicked one goal, no goal assists and averaging only 12 disposals per game and just under two tackles.

I think he will be ok, in the future, but right now he is not ready and I am expecting him to be dropped this week.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-08-2020, 01:53 PM
Preuss left the training track early today due to some medical concern. Could be a ruckless game on saturday.

comrade
19-08-2020, 02:06 PM
Could be a ruckless game on saturday.

Bevo when he hears this:

https://i.ibb.co/wNfgmYL/r0-157-2000-1287-w1200-h678-fmax.jpg (https://ibb.co/0jx2bQX)

Bulldog4life
19-08-2020, 02:09 PM
The problems Is Schache’s lack of intensity
Nothing to do with ability

That is it in a nutshell. Has the ability no doubt but needs the intensity.

Sedat
19-08-2020, 02:12 PM
Preuss left the training track early today due to some medical concern. Could be a ruckless game on saturday.
Sounds like Melbourne may not have anyone to bring in to combat Dunks.

Bulldog4life
19-08-2020, 02:14 PM
Remember when Richo went to a wing and nearly won a Brownlow.

I do.

Bulldog4life
19-08-2020, 02:19 PM
What about Bruce to the backline and Schache forward. Bruce started out as a key back. Just a thought maybe for next season.

comrade
19-08-2020, 02:26 PM
What about Bruce to the backline and Schache forward. Bruce started out as a key back. Just a thought maybe for next season.

I can't remember how Bruce performed as a defender, but I think there was a reason he was sent forward.

Bulldog4life
19-08-2020, 02:41 PM
I can't remember how Bruce performed as a defender, but I think there was a reason he was sent forward.

I had a feeling he played all games at GWS as a back but Saints sent him forward as they had a lack of forwards. Could be wrong.

Danjul
19-08-2020, 02:41 PM

I watch very closely and also replay parts to make sure what I say is correct. So read what I said.

I see Naughton and Schache as very different, and I see how they complement each other.

When was the last time we had an extended winning streak? When both played in a settled forward line.

Bruce has been a total failure at the Dogs, and with Naughton and Schache forming an effective duo last year I don’t understand why we even went searching for him.

Bruce is the worst kick for goal we have had in a long time. The majority of his early kicks haven’t make the distance from 40 m.

His last four games produced 0,4,1,4 kicks.

That’s right, less than 10 kicks in 4 games.

To be fair to him he was less of the problem than an inappropriate game plan. He had no hope, and when he comes back into the team I hope he gets some decent deliveries.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-08-2020, 02:46 PM
I watch very closely and also replay parts to make sure what I say is correct. So read what I said.

I see Naughton and Schache as very different, and I see how they complement each other.

When was the last time we had an extended winning streak? When both played in a settled forward line.

Bruce has been a total failure at the Dogs, and with Naughton and Schache forming an effective duo last year I don’t understand why we even went searching for him.

Bruce is the worst kick for goal we have had in a long time. The majority of his early kicks haven’t make the distance from 40 m.

To be fair to him he was less of the problem than an inappropriate game plan. He had no hope, and when he comes back into the team I hope he gets some decent deliveries.
These two don't go together.

I agree with the rest.

Danjul
19-08-2020, 02:46 PM
Was it because they recruited Carlisle (?) specifically for a position?

bornadog
19-08-2020, 03:46 PM
I had a feeling he played all games at GWS as a back but Saints sent him forward as they had a lack of forwards. Could be wrong.

correct

Axe Man
19-08-2020, 03:48 PM

I think he started as a back at St Kilda in 2014 - no goals in his first 8 games. Then they tried him forward late in the season and he kicked 3 and 1 in 2 games. Became a full time forward in 2015 and kicked 50.

Was it because they recruited Carlisle (?) specifically for a position?

Carlisle didn't join St Kilda until the 2016 season.

comrade
19-08-2020, 03:55 PM
Saints fans will confirm he was very average as a backman, hence the move forward.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-08-2020, 04:20 PM
Saints fans will confirm he was very average as a backman, hence the move forward.

Yep. I've two Saints mate's who independent of each other said to me:
* he's a strong contested mark
* generally a good kick for goal
* hopeless as a defender
*garbage in ruck
* a terrible kick in general play.

Grantysghost
19-08-2020, 04:24 PM
So I assume the plan was even if we get rushed entries we should have one of Naughton or Bruce to give us real contested advantage against a second defender.

Sedat
19-08-2020, 04:28 PM
I think we need to stop sugar-coating the Bruce situation. He is our Steven May - high priced big name recruit who was not professional enough to present himself in the best possible shape for his first season with his new club. He hasn't lost his ability overnight but he hasn't been able to show his best because he didn't put the necessary work in to do so.

GWS are also rumoured to have had a number of their stars not present well after lockdown #1 and they are performing accordingly.

The modern game is unforgiving on players whose fitness is compromised, either through injury interruptions or not working hard enough in the off-season. Very difficult to play catch-up in fitness in-season, as May found out last year.

Bulldog4life
19-08-2020, 04:34 PM
Being a father for the first time may have resulted in Brucey letting his guard down in the hub.

comrade
19-08-2020, 04:35 PM
I think we need to stop sugar-coating the Bruce situation. He is our Steven May - high priced big name recruit who was not professional enough to present himself in the best possible shape for his first season with his new club. He hasn't lost his ability overnight but he hasn't been able to show his best because he didn't put the necessary work in to do so.

GWS are also rumoured to have had a number of their stars not present well after lockdown #1 and they are performing accordingly.

The modern game is unforgiving on players whose fitness is compromised, either through injury interruptions or not working hard enough in the off-season. Very difficult to play catch-up in fitness in-season, as May found out last year.

Yep. He came back looking like a beach ball and it's caught up with him.

Axe Man
19-08-2020, 04:46 PM
Being a father for the first time may have resulted in Brucey letting his guard down in the hub.

His daughter is around 2 years old with another due in October.

Axe Man
19-08-2020, 04:53 PM
Big problem: Hip injury has another Dees ruckman under an injury cloud (https://www.afl.com.au/news/487892/big-problem-hip-injury-has-another-dees-ruckman-under-an-injury-cloud)

MELBOURNE is sweating on the fitness of Max Gawn and Braydon Preuss as it faces the prospect of being without a specialist ruckman against the Western Bulldogs at Metricon Stadium on Saturday.

Gawn has missed the Demons' past two matches with a posterior cruciate ligament problem as well as a tear behind his shoulder, but the club's injury report now mentions only the knee injury.

Preuss stepped up to play his first senior game of the season in last Saturday's victory over Collingwood in the absence of Gawn and first-year big man Luke Jackson (hamstring), who could miss up to six more weeks.

However, Preuss left Wednesday's training session early after hurting his hip and underwent a scan.

Melbourne's high performance manager Darren Burgess remains confident the 206cm ex-Kangaroo will be available to take on the Bulldogs, but he will be monitored ahead of Saturday's game.

Gawn has also not been ruled out, but is no certainty to play, either.

If none of Gawn, Jackson or Preuss is ready to go, the Demons are likely to turn to some sort of combination between Tom McDonald, Adam Tomlinson and Sam Weideman.

The Dogs have their own injury concerns, with No.1 ruckman Tim English (ankle) in a race against time to be fit to play.

Bulldog4life
19-08-2020, 05:00 PM
His daughter is around 2 years old with another due in October.

Oh I saw him holding a baby in the pool and thought it was a recent pic.

Topdog
19-08-2020, 05:06 PM
Schache was rightly dropped for what most of us perceived as a complete lack of intensity and effort. Since then he hasn't had a clear run injury wise. Bruce has really struggled but I don't think he can be accused of not trying. I just don't think there is any comparison between the 2 Josh's other than being tall forwards, their circumstances this season are totally different.

In a game where half the side played with a complete lack of intensity and effort.

Topdog
19-08-2020, 05:09 PM

Yeah its been pretty obvious that he isnt in the shape he should be in.

bornadog
19-08-2020, 05:24 PM
Yep. He came back looking like a beach ball and it's caught up with him.

I said this early on in the season, but a few didn't think it was right.

Grantysghost
19-08-2020, 06:11 PM
I said this early on in the season, but a few didn't think it was right.

This is rd 23 2019. Not sure what that says, maybe he's a little bigger but he's a solid unit.
Is black slimming?

https://i.postimg.cc/wTgwsPdX/Screenshot-20200819-170942-Samsung-Internet.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

bulldogsthru&thru
19-08-2020, 06:20 PM
This is rd 23 2019. Not sure what that says, maybe he's a little bigger but he's a solid unit.
Is black slimming?

https://i.postimg.cc/wTgwsPdX/Screenshot-20200819-170942-Samsung-Internet.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Black can be slimming. So too can vertical stripes as opposed to our hoops.

Danjul
19-08-2020, 06:36 PM
In a game where half the side played with a complete lack of intensity and effort.
Didn’t Schache sit on the bench for half the game? In a game where Bruce had 6 disposals. If so, what was the point of the public humiliation?

Grantysghost
19-08-2020, 07:18 PM
Didn’t Schache sit on the bench for half the game? In a game where Bruce had 6 disposals. If so, what was the point of the public humiliation?

I'm a Schache fan and I think the balance is out on his perceived lack of intensity. He's a Seymour boy probably just a little more laid back than others. However, he sometimes can go missing and struggle with second efforts so far in his senior career. I really think he's the type of player that would benefit from a consistent sequence of games and he's still so young. It's not like Weitering (1) or Weiderman (9) from the same draft he went 2 are setting the world on fire yet.
My take : persist.

Axe Man
19-08-2020, 07:33 PM

Yet you often derail your own arguments with statements that are factually incorrect.

Take "Bruce is the worst kick for goal we have had in a long time."

We know Bruce is historically an accurate goal kicker yet certainly has had some awful looking shots for us, as well as some straight kicking. But let's look at stats since you often quote them. 12.4 and 7 total misses from set shots. The total misses are alarming but better than 50% for set shots is hardly worst ever territory.

By contrast your great forward hope in Tim English has kicked 3.10. Bailey Smith has managed 3.7 plus 1 total miss. Is Bruce far worse than them?

Rocket Science
19-08-2020, 07:37 PM
Do we think Bevo would have played Bruce so unconditionally up until his 'managed' spell if the club felt the new recruit was taking the conditioning piss, so to speak? Not to mention the message that sends to the rest of the group.

It's an odd one, I don't think he looks discernibly chonkier than last year but he too often seems to be running in mud and struggles getting separation on his opponents.

Danjul
19-08-2020, 08:08 PM
Yet you often derail your own arguments with statements that are factually incorrect.

Take "Bruce is the worst kick for goal we have had in a long time."

We know Bruce is historically an accurate goal kicker yet certainly has had some awful looking shots for us, as well as some straight kicking. But let's look at stats since you often quote them. 12.4 and 7 total misses from set shots. The total misses are alarming but better than 50% for set shots is hardly worst ever territory.

By contrast your great forward hope in Tim English has kicked 3.10. Bailey Smith has managed 3.7 plus 1 total miss. Is Bruce far worse than them?You make a good point.

English has deteriorated significantly. I noticed that with some of his recent misses his run up was well to the right and the ball went straight. Getting tired maybe.

Bailey is there for his ball gathering and running. I don’t think many of his have been set shots - could be wrong though.

But take out Bruce’s six straight in one game and his figures are 17 shots at goal in 10 games for 6 goals 4 behinds and 7 total misses.

In most games he has been terrible at scoring goals.

Danjul
19-08-2020, 08:12 PM
I'm a Schache fan and I think the balance is out on his perceived lack of intensity. He's a Seymour boy probably just a little more laid back than others. However, he sometimes can go missing and struggle with second efforts so far in his senior career. I really think he's the type of player that would benefit from a consistent sequence of games and he's still so young. It's not like Weitering (1) or Weiderman (9) from the same draft he went 2 are setting the world on fire yet.
Well said. I think that’s good advice.

Grantysghost
19-08-2020, 08:18 PM
You make a good point.

English has deteriorated significantly. I noticed that with some of his recent misses his run up was well to the right and the ball went straight. Getting tired maybe.

Bailey is there for his ball gathering and running. I don’t think many of his have been set shots - could be wrong though.

But take out Bruce’s six straight in one game and his figures are 17 shots at goal in 10 games for 6 goals 4 behinds and 7 total misses.

In most games he has been terrible at scoring goals.

I think he's an OK set shot from what I've seen so far. No plugger but no Jack Daniels either. He looks like a confidence player with goal kicking.
Out of interest im trying to work out if he's good on the run....has he had a shot on the run for us?!

josie
19-08-2020, 11:52 PM

Hear hear. MC need to be fair. Way more talented than some seemingly being gifted games this year. And can reliably kick a goal. Quite a few others who are not “intense” who still keep being selected week after week. I was will be upset if we try and move Josh at end of year and also if we do not give him a decent run of games.

Bullies
20-08-2020, 08:23 AM
You make a good point.

In most games he has been terrible at scoring goals. If Bruce is struggling with fitness this would no doubt impact his goal kicking. He does look buggered after his second efforts and still covers a lot of ground moving up and down. I think this is why he drops a lot of marks he should take and misses goals he should kick. You can't carry any condition in today's game. I think the return of Astro will help him.

mjp
20-08-2020, 09:19 AM
I'm a Schache fan and I think the balance is out on his perceived lack of intensity.

I've been lucky enough to spend time with Josh in a footy setting.

He frustrated us as a 16 year old in NZ just as he frustrates us as a Bulldogs supporter now.

He is just a 'NICE' player. Some of his efforts probably look worse than they are (and they do look bad) but I still battle with what I suspect is his inability to hit some pretty simple effort based metrics...there is no doubt he is being held to a higher standard than others in terms of performance - and that is fine because he has a higher ceiling. When he is brought back for one game and then left out the next, I have no issue with that - so long as he went into the game with a clear understanding of what was expected (and this would have to be effort based - GPS used for sprint efforts, pressure acts, etc). I am sure this is the case.

I still say that he plays the same role as Bailey Dale and THAT is who is competing with for a spot...others say he is competing with the Bruce/Naughton/Le Youngs of the world...I don't know the true answer to this but I think the reason he missed last week was he simply doesn't play the same role in our forward plan as Bruce...he plays the same role as Dale and he was already in the side.

Mofra
20-08-2020, 09:42 AM
Hear hear. MC need to be fair. Way more talented than some seemingly being gifted games this year. And can reliably kick a goal. Quite a few others who are not “intense” who still keep being selected week after week. I was will be upset if we try and move Josh at end of year and also if we do not give him a decent run of games.
I'm not sure there are 'less intense' players getting games. Of the players who are not best 22 last year and are best 22 this year, I only really see four - Bruce and Keith as mature pick up, Bailey Williams who pulled his finger out, and Vandermeer who is intense and who impressed a few of us Woofers with his style of play at VFL level last year.

Schache does actually have a decent leading workrate - I think he clocked up a 17km game last year. That does seem to be all leading though - I wonder if his off the ball stuff (often not seen on TV) is what is holding him back.

Happy Days
20-08-2020, 10:01 AM
There's less intense and then there's quitting in the middle of a game. Josh has done it twice now. I don't think you can even tacitly endorse that sort of behaviour with a game anywhere inside a month of it, let alone when you see it twice.

He's clearly got some skills that should let him make it but I've pretty much lost hope he will.

1eyedog
20-08-2020, 10:24 AM
There's less intense and then there's quitting in the middle of a game. Josh has done it twice now. I don't think you can even tacitly endorse that sort of behaviour with a game anywhere inside a month of it, let alone when you see it twice.

He's clearly got some skills that should let him make it but I've pretty much lost hope he will.

Well he has two more years to prove us wrong.

Dancin' Douggy
20-08-2020, 10:26 AM
When I watch Schache play, I feel he plays like he’s still a boy. Doesn’t really play like a man yet. Is it just a matter of more games and more years for him to become the player we all want him to be?

bornadog
20-08-2020, 10:27 AM
I still say that he plays the same role as Bailey Dale and THAT is who is competing with for a spot...others say he is competing with the Bruce/Naughton/Le Youngs of the world...I don't know the true answer to this but I think the reason he missed last week was he simply doesn't play the same role in our forward plan as Bruce...he plays the same role as Dale and he was already in the side.

I guess people look at his height (199cm) and think he should be able to take advantage of it and that is the reason they may think he competes with the Bruce and Naughton's of the world.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-08-2020, 10:36 AM
Perhaps Josh is one of those players better suited to amateur football. You can have all the talent in the world but if you don’t apply yourself the big leagues eat you alive these days.

There was always a reason brisbane let him go relatively easy for a young no 2 pick.

Danjul
20-08-2020, 11:13 AM
I've been lucky enough to spend time with Josh in a footy setting.

He frustrated us as a 16 year old in NZ just as he frustrates us as a Bulldogs supporter now.

He is just a 'NICE' player. Some of his efforts probably look worse than they are (and they do look bad) but I still battle with what I suspect is his inability to hit some pretty simple effort based metrics...there is no doubt he is being held to a higher standard than others in terms of performance - and that is fine because he has a higher ceiling. When he is brought back for one game and then left out the next, I have no issue with that - so long as he went into the game with a clear understanding of what was expected (and this would have to be effort based - GPS used for sprint efforts, pressure acts, etc). I am sure this is the case.

Dale and Schache played together in the last 4 games last year, with Naughton, and the trio was very successful.
Roughly 10 goals each, all playing a different style of forward craft. They didn’t get in each other’s way. Complemented each other perfectly.

We have rarely looked that good recently.

Danjul
20-08-2020, 11:20 AM

Please describe what happened, I seem to have missed it. I know he was benched but can’t recall the reason.

Mofra
20-08-2020, 12:01 PM
Well he has two more years to prove us wrong.
I think he could be moved on this year. Phillips / Schache swap, with picks to even the trade

1eyedog
20-08-2020, 12:06 PM
I think he could be moved on this year. Phillips / Schache swap, with picks to even the trade

Essendon's Phillips?

Happy Days
20-08-2020, 12:12 PM
Please describe what happened, I seem to have missed it. I know he was benched but can’t recall the reason.

He was dropped for 10 games after not trying in the Collingwood game last year. I think that Bevo got in early during the Carlton game after seeing much the same.

I am far from a Bruce fan and wouldn't be bringing him in this week, but why he is getting games ahead of Schache is bleedingly obvious.

Topdog
20-08-2020, 12:13 PM

Yeah I see him as the Bailey Dale role. We recruited Bruce to play him, not to compete with Schache.

bornadog
20-08-2020, 12:14 PM
From nine news

Tim English on relatively light duties at Dogs training, after ankle injury last week.Straight line running and some kicking in front of medical staff. Looks ok, but hasn’t joined main group and not being completely tested.

Axe Man
20-08-2020, 12:36 PM
Essendon's Phillips?

Surely not! I'm hoping it's the Collingwood one?

mjp
20-08-2020, 01:32 PM
Dale and Schache played together in the last 4 games last year, with Naughton, and the trio was very successful.
Roughly 10 goals each, all playing a different style of forward craft. They didn’t get in each other’s way. Complemented each other perfectly.

We have rarely looked that good recently.

Yeah - no argument from me on any of that...but do YOU think from the MC perspective Schache is competing with Dale or Bruce?

I have struggled all year to figure out what defined roles we have in our front 6 and exactly who plays which one...

- There is a deep target role played (ideally) by Naughton.
- There is whatever role Wally is playing but that is basically a small, lead up player. (Don't get me wrong, he's playing well but also seems to get in the way of the traditional marking targets.)
- Dale and Lloyd both play a hybrid forward/high forward role where they will go up to the wings as link players during transition (though is set play situations the Naughton/Bruce player does this).
- There is a small forward role but we haven't used it much - Cavarra was it last week and held inside f50 pretty much all day...

I think???

Danjul
20-08-2020, 03:10 PM
Yeah - no argument from me on any of that...but do YOU think from the MC perspective Schache is competing with Dale or Bruce?

I have struggled all year to figure out what defined roles we have in our front 6 and exactly who plays which one...

- There is a deep target role played (ideally) by Naughton.
- There is whatever role Wally is playing but that is basically a small, lead up player. (Don't get me wrong, he's playing well but also seems to get in the way of the traditional marking targets.)
- Dale and Lloyd both play a hybrid forward/high forward role where they will go up to the wings as link players during transition (though is set play situations the Naughton/Bruce player does this).
- There is a small forward role but we haven't used it much - Cavarra was it last week and held inside f50 pretty much all day...

I think???

I must confess that I have given up trying to understand the MC.

They seem to be using trial and error to come up with a revolutionary game plan based upon every player being consistently great playing in every position. Personally I think they would be better to study each player’s skills and try to exploit them.

For example, Richards was drafted because of his straight line speed and one on one ground play. So after a very good start we move him to a crowded forward role and he hasn’t developed.

Schache doesn’t have overhead strength (yet) , but makes excellent position and leads and was close to our best kick at goal . I have seen him compete well on the ground but it’s not his talent. So we demand pack marks and run him in the ruck .

Dale is a proven finisher who was good at finding space near goal, so let’s have him in handball chains off the backline. He can take an overhead mark when one on one, and backmen would treat him with respect if he spent more time inside the 50.

Bruce hasn’t been a success but he has been hindered by undisciplined? teammates. I have seen West and Gowers jump into him and English and Bont spoil his marking attempt.

utilising an individual‘s skill set seems irrelevant when determining who will play and where.

To me the greatest mystery of all is why, after an appalling 2018 and first half of 2019, the MC fluked a winning streak and then brought us back to mediocre .

GVGjr
20-08-2020, 03:25 PM
Essendon's Phillips?

Collinwoods Tom Phillips?

bornadog
20-08-2020, 05:26 PM
In his presser, Bevo said there will be no risks taken with Tim and he will only play if he is 100%.

Bulldog Joe
20-08-2020, 05:36 PM
In his presser, Bevo said there will be no risks taken with Tim and he will only play if he is 100%.

Isn't this what of the great lines people trot out.

I understand that they will not take any undue risk, but there is no way English is/will be 100%.

In fact if you understand what 100% actually is there is never anyone actually at 100%

Doc26
20-08-2020, 06:08 PM
I must confess that I have given up trying to understand the MC.

They seem to be using trial and error to come up with a revolutionary game plan based upon every player being consistently great playing in every position. Personally I think they would be better to study each player’s skills and try to exploit them.

For example, Richards was drafted because of his straight line speed and one on one ground play. So after a very good start we move him to a crowded forward role and he hasn’t developed.

Schache doesn’t have overhead strength (yet) , but makes excellent position and leads and was close to our best kick at goal . I have seen him compete well on the ground but it’s not his talent. So we demand pack marks and run him in the ruck .

Dale is a proven finisher who was good at finding space near goal, so let’s have him in handball chains off the backline. He can take an overhead mark when one on one, and backmen would treat him with respect if he spent more time inside the 50.

Bruce hasn’t been a success but he has been hindered by undisciplined? teammates. I have seen West and Gowers jump into him and English and Bont spoil his marking attempt.

utilising an individual‘s skill set seems irrelevant when determining who will play and where.

To me the greatest mystery of all is why, after an appalling 2018 and first half of 2019, the MC fluked a winning streak and then brought us back to mediocre .

I believe the same thinking is true of the MC, that is, utilise the particular skills that each MC member might bring but avoid over-reaching or trying to be too clever and changing lanes. That Bevo, following the drafting of Billy Gowers, conveyed in a coterie group meeting that he was keen on making his captain's call for Billy because of what he saw as Patrick Dangerfield traits, becoming somewhat of a watershed moment for Simon Dalrymple, is testament to this thinking.

Rocket Science
20-08-2020, 06:20 PM
I believe the same thinking is true of the MC, that is, utilise the particular skills that each might bring but avoid over-reaching or trying to be too clever and changing lanes. That Bevo, following the drafting of Billy Gowers, conveyed in a coterie group meeting that he was keen on making his captain's call for Billy because of what he saw as Patrick Dangerfield traits, becoming somewhat of a watershed moment for Simon Dalrymple, is testament to this thinking.

https://i.ibb.co/ZYzXMsc/Screen-Shot-2020-08-20-at-5-19-45-pm.png (https://imgbb.com/)

Are you telling me this actually came out of our coach's mouth?

ratsmac
20-08-2020, 07:30 PM
I believe the same thinking is true of the MC, that is, utilise the particular skills that each MC member might bring but avoid over-reaching or trying to be too clever and changing lanes. That Bevo, following the drafting of Billy Gowers, conveyed in a coterie group meeting that he was keen on making his captain's call for Billy because of what he saw as Patrick Dangerfield traits, becoming somewhat of a watershed moment for Simon Dalrymple, is testament to this thinking.

https://i.ibb.co/ZYzXMsc/Screen-Shot-2020-08-20-at-5-19-45-pm.png (https://imgbb.com/)

Are you telling me this actually came out of our coach's mouth?

I think he means that Billy is a good fisherman.....potentially

comrade
20-08-2020, 07:57 PM
I think he means that Billy is a good fisherman.....potentially

I can see Billy surfing with a suit on.

kruder
21-08-2020, 01:06 PM
14 pages on match committee impressive! Wish it only had to be one but there is a lot to discuss, unfortunately.

One things for sure, we should have our best side in for the year, no excuses this week against a very similar side.

mjp
21-08-2020, 01:07 PM
...on making his captain's call for Billy because of what he saw as Patrick Dangerfield traits, becoming somewhat of a watershed moment for Simon Dalrymple...

LOL.

Christian Howard and Zephi Skinner say hi. It isn't as if Simon has never got it HORRIBLY wrong on a player (as have we all)...if the fall out is being blamed on the selection of a mature age rookie then relationships at the club truly were broken...

mjp
21-08-2020, 01:09 PM
14 pages on match committee impressive! Wish it only had to be one but there is a lot to discuss, unfortunately.

Yeah, well...it isn't as if every post has been about selections for this week...

There actually probably isn't that much to discuss but we are all curious about what is about to happen!

GVGjr
21-08-2020, 03:07 PM
LOL.

Christian Howard and Zephi Skinner say hi. It isn't as if Simon has never got it HORRIBLY wrong on a player (as have we all)...if the fall out is being blamed on the selection of a mature age rookie then relationships at the club truly were broken...

I seem to recall that Howard and Tutt wasn't necessarily Simon's preferences however Rocket wanted players with 'quick through the air' kicking skills and they were the players identified.

Mofra
21-08-2020, 03:12 PM
Preuss named as right to play.
I'm hoping we see Sweet at some stage this year, and I feel like this is the round to give him a chance. He doesn't have English's tank but should be able to compete with Preuss around the ground.

jeemak
21-08-2020, 03:26 PM
He seemed OK being overruled by BMac with respect to Smith being taken over Crozier...……...

hujsh
21-08-2020, 03:59 PM
He seemed OK being overruled by BMac with respect to Smith being taken over Crozier...……...

Well sure but that was only a first round pick. Nothing as vital as a rookie selection.

Happy Days
21-08-2020, 04:15 PM
Well sure but that was only a first round pick. Nothing as vital as a rookie selection.

In a weird way being overruled on a rookie selection would almost be worse. Generally you could make a case for every player at the top of the draft and wouldn't be that annoyed at ending up with any of them, but late picks and rookies are really where recruiters put the work in.

Both instances are kind of like a relative telling you they're an expert in something after reading an article they saw on Facebook at any rate, but I could understand how Bevo would've been more annoying (especially since he was advocating for Billy F'n Gowers).

jeemak
21-08-2020, 04:27 PM
In a weird way being overruled on a rookie selection would almost be worse. Generally you could make a case for every player at the top of the draft and wouldn't be that annoyed at ending up with any of them, but late picks and rookies are really where recruiters put the work in.

Both instances are kind of like a relative telling you they're an expert in something after reading an article they saw on Facebook at any rate, but I could understand how Bevo would've been more annoying (especially since he was advocating for Billy F'n Gowers).

I don't think being overruled on a spot that is statistically much less likely to impact the performance of the team would be, but you're entitled to your view.

Bulldog4life
21-08-2020, 05:34 PM

Didn't that work out perfectly. We got the best of both worlds. Smith an important cog in our premiership glory and Crozier such an important player in our current backline.

Remi Moses
21-08-2020, 06:16 PM
We’ve done particularly well
Smith was brilliant and we’ve got crozier playing career best footy
For all the shitbagging on here Crozier has been a raging success

azabob
21-08-2020, 07:21 PM
ROUND 13 TEAM

Western Bulldogs v Melbourne
Saturday 22 August, 1.45pm AEST
Metricon Stadium

B: Easton Wood, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
HB: Bailey Williams, Ryan Gardner, Hayden Crozier
C: Bailey Smith, Jack Macrae, Lachie Hunter
HF: Toby McLean, Josh Bruce, Mitch Wallis
F: Tom Liberatore, Aaron Naughton, Ben Cavarra
Foll: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Josh Dunkley
Int: Ed Richards, Laitham Vandermeer, Pat Lipinski, Jason Johannisen
Emer: Lewis Young, Tory Dickson, Roarke Smith, Riley Garcia

IN: Hayden Crozier, Josh Bruce, Laitham Vandermeer, Jason Johannisen
OUT: Rhylee West (groin), Roarke Smith (managed), Sam Lloyd, Bailey Dale

Vred
21-08-2020, 07:23 PM
ROUND 13 TEAM

Western Bulldogs v Melbourne
Saturday 22 August, 1.45pm AEST
Metricon Stadium

B: Easton Wood, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
HB: Bailey Williams, Ryan Gardner, Hayden Crozier
C: Bailey Smith, Jack Macrae, Lachie Hunter
HF: Toby McLean, Josh Bruce, Mitch Wallis
F: Tom Liberatore, Aaron Naughton, Ben Cavarra
Foll: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Josh Dunkley
Int: Ed Richards, Laitham Vandermeer, Pat Lipinski, Jason Johannisen
Emer: Lewis Young, Tory Dickson, Roarke Smith, Riley Garcia

huge

bulldogsthru&thru
21-08-2020, 07:26 PM
Wow Dale dropped. Brave call but the right one. Does that mean JJ up forward?

Vred
21-08-2020, 07:28 PM
Please no

bulldogsthru&thru
21-08-2020, 07:28 PM
Interesting that Sweet isn’t an emergency and Garcia is already there.

azabob
21-08-2020, 07:29 PM
Happy with those changes.

angelopetraglia
Dale stiff.

Roarke managed after one week of football. Please.

Axe Man
Sweet dropped from the emergency list for Riley Garcia!:D

Strong side. No excuses.

Vred
21-08-2020, 07:30 PM
Demons going in unchanged, no Gawn, Preuss as only ruck

Scraggers
21-08-2020, 07:31 PM
Am I reading it correctly that Melbourne are going in with an unchanged line-up?

Grantysghost
21-08-2020, 07:33 PM
Thats a good looking side on paper.

kruder
21-08-2020, 07:35 PM
Interesting that Sweet isn’t an emergency and Garcia is already there.

There is something about Garcia, I reckon we might have a player on our hands with him

kruder
21-08-2020, 07:36 PM

Strong side. No excuses.

Classic Bevo.

comrade
21-08-2020, 07:38 PM
Shame to see West out, but can't complain about any of the other changes. Feels good man.

whythelongface
21-08-2020, 07:39 PM

Agree on Dale. Think he is a very good player but just doesn’t work hard enough.

G-Mo77
21-08-2020, 07:40 PM
I know Dale has his detractors in here and yeah his defensive game needs a lot of work but I still think he offers us a lot as a forward. I think he's pretty stiff to be honest.

Vred
21-08-2020, 07:44 PM
I know Dale has his detractors in here and yeah his defensive game needs a lot of work but I still think he offers us a lot as a forward. I think he's pretty stiff to be honest.

I agree, I think Dale lifts his work rate and his a good forward. Throw in Cavarra and possibly Garcia/Weightman and we might have some half decent goal sneaks

bornadog
21-08-2020, 07:45 PM
Looks a good side with Crozier and JJ back.

Mantis
21-08-2020, 07:49 PM

Has his role been taken by Wallis?

Whilst he has had some success playing ‘high’, he’s been most effective as a ‘deep’ forward which is the role Wallis is filling.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-08-2020, 07:50 PM

I agree but you have to take out two of Vanders, Dale, Loyd and Cavarra. Who would you take out? After last week I’d agree with the MC and back Cavarra and certainly play Vanders.

GVGjr
21-08-2020, 07:51 PM
Happy with those changes.

Same here, I really like our chances

If Bruce can perform, we can really trouble their back line

JJ named on the bench is interesting and I didn't see how Garcia could be named as an emergency. That's a huge encourgement for his rehab work

GVGjr
21-08-2020, 07:55 PM

Strong side. No excuses.

Exactly right. Look at the quality of players we didn't pick. We are batting deep at the moment

bulldogsthru&thru
21-08-2020, 07:58 PM
There is something about Garcia, I reckon we might have a player on our hands with him

Know nothing about him. What kind of player is he Kruder and why do you think highly of him?

mjp
21-08-2020, 08:05 PM
We've preferred Cavarra and McLean over Dale and Lloyd...

Interesting. And certainly a bit of a change in approach from earlier this year.

Happy Days
21-08-2020, 08:12 PM
I had a suspicion we’d run with Cav over Lloyd and think its the right call. Pretty happy with the side one obvious change notwithstanding.

Eastdog
21-08-2020, 08:17 PM

JJ behind the ball thanks!

The Underdog
21-08-2020, 08:23 PM
I had a suspicion we’d run with Cav over Lloyd and think its the right call. Pretty happy with the side one obvious change notwithstanding.

Totally agree. Lloyd has been hugely underwhelming this year, even taking his injury into account. Surprised about Dale, but the forward line structure feels pretty good.

josie
21-08-2020, 08:27 PM
Go Benny!! Make the small pressure crumbing forward spot yours Cav. Great to have JJ and Crozier back.

Is Cordy still injured?

Remi Moses
21-08-2020, 08:30 PM
Dale a bit stiff for me
Maybe they’re a bit peeved on how easy it came from our forward half last week

jeemak
21-08-2020, 08:30 PM
Go Benny!! Make the small pressure crumbing forward spot yours Cav. Great to have JJ and Crozier back.

Is Cordy still injured?

I think he's two weeks or so away. The pec was a three to four estimate.

G-Mo77
21-08-2020, 09:02 PM
I agree but you have to take out two of Vanders, Dale, Loyd and Cavarra. Who would you take out? After last week I’d agree with the MC and back Cavarra and certainly play Vanders.

Yeah that's fair. I'm not upset with the changes FWIW just think he's stiff to miss. As Mantis said, Wallis' emergence as a solid forward option is kind of taking the role Dale played last year. Still, I think he'd be a chance to fall under the radar after Astro's bag last week and Bruce back into the squad. I'm backing in Cav for the rest of the year over Lloyd who I personally think has served his purpose for us. We need to see if we have that small forward we've been craving.