PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 14 Vs Geelong 2020

Scraggers
17-08-2020, 12:08 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 13 match against Melbourne for our Round 14, 2020 match against Geelong at Metricon on Friday night?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
22-08-2020, 04:37 PM
Bump

angelopetraglia
22-08-2020, 05:30 PM
Who plays on Hawkins? Do we have a good match up? Does Trengove come in for Gardner?

ReLoad
22-08-2020, 05:31 PM
Out; English
In; Sweet

Bullies
22-08-2020, 05:32 PM
In Cordy (If available)
Out Gardner

jeemak
22-08-2020, 05:40 PM
Unchanged unless Cordy is right to go, or there's an injury.

Vred
22-08-2020, 05:42 PM
Out; English, Gardener
In: Sweet, Cordy

josie
22-08-2020, 05:43 PM
English looked like he was in quicksand around the ground. Time for a rest?

Trengove for English and that way we have player who might go to Hawkins if Keath does not cope.

Got a feeling we might go in unchanged.

Also Richards was ave today and missed a few tackles he should have laid - perhaps Rourke in for him?

MrMahatma
22-08-2020, 06:20 PM
Unchanged.

Hawkins a huge concern.

GVGjr
22-08-2020, 06:36 PM
This is another very winnable game from my perspective. Geelong have some star players we will need to manage but our run and carry can hurt them

Ozza
22-08-2020, 06:40 PM
A bit like against Port with Dixon....if we let the ball come in too easily without enough pressure on ball carrier or enough time for Wood and Croz to support - then it doesn't matter who is on Hawkins.

Only change I'd make would be based on whether Cordy is ready.

The Doctor
22-08-2020, 06:52 PM
In: Dickson

Out: McLean

bornadog
22-08-2020, 06:52 PM
Cavarra and Richards are in the gun for me, but no change at this stage.

josie
22-08-2020, 06:57 PM
I thought Maclean was good today

azabob
22-08-2020, 07:19 PM
Cavarra and Richards are in the gun for me, but no change at this stage.

We need to keep Cavarra in. His goal in the last show he has the instincts of a small forward.

Happy Days
22-08-2020, 07:59 PM
Out: Gardner

In: Cordy or Young

Richards is in the gun but I really don’t see how not playing him or alternatively playing any of the guys behind him makes us better. Terrified of Hawkins.

GVGjr
22-08-2020, 08:02 PM
In Dickson
Out Cavarra

That's tough on Cavarra but we need to give Dickson a run

The Underdog
22-08-2020, 08:04 PM

Richards is in the gun but I really don’t see how not playing him or alternatively playing any of the guys behind him makes us better. Terrified of Hawkins.

We just don’t have a matchup for Hawkins. Keath is our best bet. But we don’t have a good option.

jeemak
22-08-2020, 08:39 PM

Do you think Gardner showed further signs of improvement today?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-08-2020, 08:53 PM

I did.
Still had a moment or two where he looked shaky, but I thought he took some steps forward confidence wise today and successfully injected himself into some rebound posessions as well today.
He's gotva long way to go, but there is no way you could drop him based on today's performance. To do so would really send a poor message not only to Gardner, but to the whole team.
He's going to get a stern test next Friday, that's for sure

GVGjr
22-08-2020, 08:56 PM
I did.
Still had a moment or two where he looked shaky, but I thought he took some steps forward confidence wise today and successfully injected himself into some rebound posessions as well today.
He's gotva long way to go, but there is no way you could drop him based on today's performance. To do so would really send a poor message not only to Gardner, but to the whole team.
He's going to get a stern test next Friday, that's for sure

Gardner was steady again no doubt. We have to stick with him and help him work though any confidence issues he might have.

He's fortunate to have a slid back line it around him as well

Happy Days
22-08-2020, 09:13 PM

I don’t think he can play and we will be better when he doesn’t. Nothing today suggested otherwise.

jeemak
22-08-2020, 09:14 PM
I don’t think he can play and we will be better when he doesn’t. Nothing today suggested otherwise.

Hahahahaha.

Don't ever change.

kruder
22-08-2020, 09:50 PM
I'm really keen for continuity but in this condense season like a few changes a week around the edges.

Out - Gardner Cavarra

In- Cordy West/Dicko( I hope he gets a few games been such a big game performer for us, he is a much better player than Lloyd)

I still think if Timmy isn't right we should give him a break and play Trengove/Sweet

Rocco Jones
22-08-2020, 09:56 PM
Can see why Gardner is there. Don't agree with it still, but he has a good tank + has a good first and vertical leap combo. Improving every game, yes I know, low base.

I would say no changes. Keath to Tomahawk.

The Pie Man
22-08-2020, 11:09 PM
In : Sweet to debut
Out : Bruce

English looked every bit a 2nd ruck / forward in the 2nd half, and Bruce playing large ruck minutes isn’t sustainable.

westbulldog
23-08-2020, 12:12 AM
Bruce, Gardner, Richards Out
Lewis Young, Sweet, Cordy (if fit) or Suckling In

soupman
23-08-2020, 12:16 AM
Thought the mix was pretty good today, felt much quicker across the ground and forward mix was much better. Bruce contributing was positive, although unsure if that is sustainable seeing as he has been less than impressive in his previous stints as a second ruck.

Cannot believe what we are doing with English. I know we are trying to nurse him through games but instead of holding him back for 4ish games now while we try to simultaneously play him and rest him can we just give him a week off and get him right? Today worked somehow, but we are kidding ourselves that its sustainable.

Just bring Sweet or Trengove in, it doesn't matter which and it doesn't matter if they can last a full game or not as we seem happy to cover the gap with Dunkley/Macrae/ Bruce anyway. As long as they can play 60% of the game in the ruck then do it and get English right so we aren't constantly making decisions with our strategy to mitigate his workload.

jazzadogs
23-08-2020, 12:31 AM
Thought the mix was pretty good today, felt much quicker across the ground and forward mix was much better. Bruce contributing was positive, although unsure if that is sustainable seeing as he has been less than impressive in his previous stints as a second ruck.

Cannot believe what we are doing with English. I know we are trying to nurse him through games but instead of holding him back for 4ish games now while we try to simultaneously play him and rest him can we just give him a week off and get him right? Today worked somehow, but we are kidding ourselves that its sustainable.

Just bring Sweet or Trengove in, it doesn't matter which and it doesn't matter if they can last a full game or not as we seem happy to cover the gap with Dunkley/Macrae/ Bruce anyway. As long as they can play 60% of the game in the ruck then do it and get English right so we aren't constantly making decisions with our strategy to mitigate his workload.

It really frustrated me today in particular. We knew that he sprained his ankle and was below his best, and we also knew that Gawn wasn't playing so the ruck was unlikely to be an area that had a major impact. Less than a minute in Dunkley was contesting a ruck contest on the wing?

I would have preferred he had a day off today against the big lug Preuss so he was moving more freely against the Cats, who use Blicavs/Stanley/whoever as extra running mids.

jeemak
23-08-2020, 12:57 AM
I could be wrong but I reckon we're putting the acid on English to harden up and play through injury like every other established ruck or KPP does, and letting him figure out how it's done.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-08-2020, 02:33 AM
Out; English
In; Sweet

Timmy's gotta work through this, for better or worse.
He's either going to be the player we think he is, or he's not.
Yes, he's young, and got a way to go. But we're only going to find his ceiling by playing him in games like this Friday's.

We have proven we can mitigate effectively when he's not working in the ruck, let's roll the dice this week. I think ruck is an area where Geelong are not dominant. English v Blicavs ( when he takes his turn) yes please.
Tim's gotta lick his lips at that prospect

S Coast Simon
23-08-2020, 07:45 AM
Thought we missed a great opportunity to rest English this week. Like others have said Trengove or Sweet in this week. Hopefully Sweet gets a run at it. English has been cooked for a few weeks now and just can’t seem to jump at the moment. Gardner will get a crack at Hawkins which is a bit scary but I believe he is athletic enough to go with him. Will be either surprising or really ugly. Must limit the good supply to Hawkins. With Keath and Gardner we have two options and they don’t seem to play to big in their forward line. Would like to see Cordy on the bench for backup in defence. Not sure who comes out. Richards was quiet but I like what he brings. Maybe a week off for him

The Pie Man
23-08-2020, 08:54 AM
Gardner looked...dare I say it...composed yesterday (relatively speaking) Think they’re seeing some reward for persistence.

Bruce contributed more in the ruck than up forward and vice versa English. Which is the more sustainable?

Happy Days
23-08-2020, 11:34 AM
On the ruck nonsese; I reckon it was as much an indication of what we think of Preuss (and the Adelaide midfield the week previous) as much as anything, and both those groups did nothing but validate our opinions of them if this was the case. If I was a Dees supporter I would already be over having lost the game because I would have accepted the Dees being a pathetic mess as a fact of life, but on the off chance I wasn't then I would be furious with Preuss' effort yesterday.

We might the same strategy against the Cats, but if we try this against Nicnat then Bevo needs to be institutionalised.

bornadog
23-08-2020, 11:41 AM
We might the same strategy against the Cats, but if we try this against Nicnat then Bevo needs to be institutionalised.

That is funny :D:D - Surely he wouldn't :eek:

Vred
23-08-2020, 02:28 PM
Watching the Ade vs Geelong game at the moment, if they play like this next week we’re in with a real good chance.

josie
23-08-2020, 03:04 PM
Watching the Ade vs Geelong game at the moment, if they play like this next week we’re in with a real good chance.

Had a bit of a look at this game too. Agree Vred. We need a mix of tackle beasts and speed and we could win, especially if our mids get on top with the clearances. Cats playing some tall players alongside Hawkins. Is this normal or are they sound a dress rehearsal for us next week?

GVGjr
23-08-2020, 03:16 PM

Had a bit of a look at this game too. Agree Vred. We need a mix of tackle beasts and speed and we could win, especially if our mids get on top with the clearances. Cats playing some tall players alongside Hawkins. Is this normal or are they sound a dress rehearsal for us next week?

Our mids can really hurt them. Control Hawkins and a couple of others and we will be a great chance to knock them over

mjp
23-08-2020, 04:07 PM

Of course we can. But we need to make a couple of choices with regards locking down a prime mover (or two - maybe one inside and one outside). I don't want a shoot-out with the Cats...

azabob
23-08-2020, 04:49 PM
IN: Lewis Young
OUT: Josh Bruce

I would also love to see Dickson in the team but Wallis is playing his role.

Grantysghost
23-08-2020, 05:10 PM
Of course we can. But we need to make a couple of choices with regards locking down a prime mover (or two - maybe one inside and one outside). I don't want a shoot-out with the Cats...

I really rate Mitch Duncan. I think he flies under the radar a bit. Sublime footballer.

comrade
23-08-2020, 05:20 PM
I really rate Mitch Duncan. I think he flies under the radar a bit. Sublime footballer.

Yep, he's a dead set gun. Just hurts the opposition with every possession, he's similar to Jack Macrae but more dangerous with ball in hand.

Mantis
23-08-2020, 07:19 PM

Which players would you be looking to lock down on and who would you be using in those roles?

jeemak
23-08-2020, 11:17 PM
I think Libba is the only one strong enough and quick enough in close to limit Dangerfield. I'd be going with Macrae on Dunkin.

Happy Days
24-08-2020, 01:15 AM
Wasn't sure where to put this but found some footage from the scratch match last week.

https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/796890/player-review-scratch-match-v-bulldogs

Obviously not much that can be taken from another team's highlights but it does show Trengove losing a bad contest, Butler with a horrible turnover and Hayes appearing to do a hammy. So there's something in it I guess. Would be nice if the club could document our players doing good stuff in these matches on video too since there's obviously someone there with a camera.

Mofra
24-08-2020, 09:48 AM
Ridiculous suggestion:
In: Sweet
Out: Bruce

If Bruce is not contributing forward, he's not contributing. We didn't trade him in to ruck.

comrade
24-08-2020, 09:57 AM
Ridiculous suggestion:

If Bruce is not contributing forward, he's not contributing. We didn't trade him in to ruck.

I'd prefer to bring in Trengove if we go down this path, his flexibility should allow him to swap with English up forward and is probably the only player big enough to chop out our defence if Hawkins is running amok.

The 2020 version of Josh Bruce is a total bust. Reckon he needs a good spell outside the senior side to see if he can find some touch in training and the scratchies, otherwise he should set himself for the biggest pre-season of his life and look to earn his wage in 2021.

CarnTheScray
24-08-2020, 10:14 AM
Honestly think English should play forward for the rest of the season. Would be a very tall target and he wouldn't run out of juice as he isn't rucking. Bring in Sweet or Trengove to ruck for the year, they're bigger bodies and more well-prepared physically.

GVGjr
24-08-2020, 10:16 AM
Ridiculous suggestion:

On form the dropping on Bruce should be an easy decision but I don't believe it's a likely scenario
Like Comrade, I'd prefer Trengove or even Lewis Young but Sweet is around the mark

bornadog
24-08-2020, 10:22 AM
On form the dropping on Bruce should be an easy decision but I don't believe it's a likely scenario
Like Comrade, I'd prefer Trengove or even Lewis Young but Sweet is around the mark

Unless we play two rucks, I don't want to bank on just Sweet. He is a complete unknown at this level and it is a big risk.

You would have to bring in Trengove and Sweet if Tim was to be rested.

Bulldog Joe
24-08-2020, 10:28 AM
Unless we play two rucks, I don't want to bank on just Sweet. He is a complete unknown at this level and it is a big risk.

But if we bring in Trengove or Sweet for Bruce we still have English ostensibly as second ruck/key forward. I like that personally.

I would also be happy if it was Lewis Young to replace Bruce.

bornadog
24-08-2020, 10:30 AM
But if we bring in Trengove or Sweet for Bruce we still have English ostensibly as second ruck/key forward. I like that personally.

I would also be happy if it was Lewis Young to replace Bruce.

I didn't say who we drop. I was more making the point that Sweet can't debut without some sort of backup.

Bulldog Joe
24-08-2020, 10:32 AM
I didn't say who we drop. I was more making the point that Sweet can't debut without some sort of backup.

Well we always have Dunkley:)

azabob
24-08-2020, 10:34 AM
Ridiculous suggestion:

I went Lewis Young in for Bruce for this exact reason.

Young and English to swap forward and in the ruck.

Danjul
24-08-2020, 10:41 AM

I just don’t get the mountain of negativity At the Dogs about Sweet. He is less unknown than Gardner was when selected for the game against West Coast.

We examine Bruce with a microscope and find he is not doing what we were told to expect. In what way is his rucking superior to Trengove or Sweet. Yet he gets game after game..

I accept that it has been pure genius to organise Bruce, English and Dunkley the way we did. It certainly made us competitive against Melbourne but,

they had a total of 29 disposals between them. In the corresponding game last year Dunkley had 37.

We are papering over the cracks and risk getting blown away.

Ozza
24-08-2020, 10:42 AM
This is a week Tim could really play well and get a shot of confidence. Geelong will likely have Stanley rucking, who - whilst versatile, is far from a dominant ruckman. Tim should ruck all game and be playing that kick behind role to help us manage Hawkins aerially.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-08-2020, 10:49 AM
This is a week Tim could really play well and get a shot of confidence. Geelong will likely have Stanley rucking, who - whilst versatile, is far from a dominant ruckman. Tim should ruck all game and be playing that kick behind role to help us manage Hawkins aerially.

I agree. I’m not opposed to bringing in ruck relief for Tim but this isn’t the week to do it UNLESS it’s also to provide extra support in defence in the case Hawkins dominates.

Generally the issue with Tim in the ruck is against physical ruck men. He’s so placid that he doesn’t get close to evening a ruck contest when the opposition has a big physical ruckmen. What Bruce did well against Preuss was negate his physicality. All he did was provide a physical contest in the ruck and that was enough to destroy their ascendency. It annoys the hell out of me that Tim doesn’t do this. And Lewis Young won’t do much different as he’s too slight. It needs to be Sweet/Trengove/Bruce if we’re talking pure ruck relief against bigger ruckmen.

Happy Days
24-08-2020, 10:53 AM
So I watched the stupid Geelong Adelaide game because I will watch literally any 44 morons play football and I was astounded by the job Hartigan, objectively one of the very worst players in the AFL, was able to do on Hawkins simply by playing him from his back shoulder and forcing him to lead at the ball. Hawkins is unstoppable when he's allowed to take back position and "legally" work his player under the ball, and by not affording him the opportunity even once Hartigan really curbed his influence. He (Hawkins) ended up with three goals but that was through a combination of Hollywood umpiring and junk time. When you compare it to the game he had on Clurey/Jonas, players who play in front and try to intercept, it was night and day (and not just because one game was at night and the other was in the afternoon).

This is deeply not Keath's game, but might have to be this week.

bornadog
24-08-2020, 10:58 AM
I just don’t get the mountain of negativity At the Dogs about Sweet.

I don't think there is negativity towards Sweet at all, we just don't know how he will perform.

You are one of the posters on WOOF who really discusses the ruck role the most, and you emphasise know how importanmt the role is. I just don't want to see Sweet thrown to the wolves rucking on his own when he has never played AFL football before. He needs to be eased in initially as a second ruck then we see how he goes.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-08-2020, 11:13 AM
So I watched the stupid Geelong Adelaide game because I will watch literally any 44 morons play football and I was astounded by the job Hartigan, objectively one of the very worst players in the AFL, was able to do on Hawkins simply by playing him from his back shoulder and forcing him to lead at the ball. Hawkins is unstoppable when he's allowed to take back position and "legally" work his player under the ball, and by not affording him the opportunity even once Hartigan really curbed his influence. He (Hawkins) ended up with three goals but that was through a combination of Hollywood umpiring and junk time. When you compare it to the game he had on Clurey/Jonas, players who play in front and try to intercept, it was night and day (and not just because one game was at night and the other was in the afternoon).

Yeah that concerns me. We always play in front to intercept. It’s like we know no other way

GVGjr
24-08-2020, 11:40 AM
I just don’t get the mountain of negativity At the Dogs about Sweet. He is less unknown than Gardner was when selected for the game against West Coast.

We examine Bruce with a microscope and find he is not doing what we were told to expect. In what way is his rucking superior to Trengove or Sweet. Yet he gets game after game..

I accept that it has been pure genius to organise Bruce, English and Dunkley the way we did. It certainly made us competitive against Melbourne but,

they had a total of 29 disposals between them. In the corresponding game last year Dunkley had 37.

We are papering over the cracks and risk getting blown away.

I would argue that Sweet has been a positive this year. He's been on the cusp of a game all season and very much in the mix
When this compressed season started he was most likely to get his chance when English was rested however a reasonable draw, a resilient Tim English and a stubborn attitude towards how we should use the ruck by Bevo has held Sweets debut game back

No argument from me about Bruce. He's very fortunate that he hasn't been dropped so far

GVGjr
24-08-2020, 11:47 AM

Stanley is very much a English type ruckman. As mobile and maybe a bit more mobile but not as skilled or as promising

Bulldog Joe
24-08-2020, 12:18 PM

I see this as the role for Gardner if he plays from the back. Has enough pace and reach to spoil and if he is going to make it, this is the type of role he should be best at.

bornadog
24-08-2020, 12:38 PM
I see this as the role for Gardner if he plays from the back. Has enough pace and reach to spoil and if he is going to make it, this is the type of role he should be best at.

If Gardner plays on Hawkins, Hawkins will kick 10

Happy Days
24-08-2020, 12:54 PM

And I will kick my TV. Has to be Keath.

Bulldog Joe
24-08-2020, 12:56 PM

The MC/Coach see something in Gardner and this is where he can show what he has.

We have no-one else suited to the job except Trengove and it certainly appears that Jackson won't be getting the call up.

Bulldog Joe
24-08-2020, 12:58 PM

While Keath might get the job, we need to allow Gardner the oppotunity if the MC are going to keep picking him.

Danjul
24-08-2020, 01:06 PM
I don't think there is negativity towards Sweet at all, we just don't know how he will perform.

You are one of the posters on WOOF who really discusses the ruck role the most, and you emphasise know how importanmt the role is. I just don't want to see Sweet thrown to the wolves rucking on his own when he has never played AFL football before. He needs to be eased in initially as a second ruck then we see how he goes.

I fully agree with your statement,

...but at present our ruck consists of a probably unfit and worn down English being replaced by an out of form full forward, who is being shown how it is done by a centre who is not being allowed to play his natural match winning game (Dunkley had 20 possessions less than last time, English had less than half of his usual and Bruce had about 5 .).

In other words ‘ we don’t have a ruck ‘.

If Sweet had been obliterated against Melbourne, unlikely against a possibly injured backup, we would have still won and had the added advantage of seeing it. (At the moment I could also justify him replacing Bruce as a goal kicker)

I understand that he is in the Trengove-Young group but I can’t see this experimental team structure helping us get to another grand final. A win is good but the supporters are looking beyond Adelaide and Melbourne as measures of progress.

soupman
24-08-2020, 01:12 PM
Yeah not sure we can say "we can't play Sweet because he can't ruck enough to be the sole ruck" while simultaneously playing English as our sole ruck and also not as a ruck.

bornadog
24-08-2020, 01:18 PM
Yeah not sure we can say "we can't play Sweet because he can't ruck enough to be the sole ruck" while simultaneously playing English as our sole ruck and also not as a ruck.

Are you happy to play Sweet as the sole ruckman?

soupman
24-08-2020, 01:20 PM
Are you happy to play Sweet as the sole ruckman?

I'm not huge on it but I'd rather do that for a game than persist with this playing English but shielding him at every opportunity bullshit.

I would be reluctant to play two of he and English, at least Trengove has proven he can perform elsewhere.

GVGjr
24-08-2020, 01:22 PM
The MC/Coach see something in Gardner and this is where he can show what he has.

We have no-one else suited to the job except Trengove and it certainly appears that Jackson won't be getting the call up.

It will have to be Keath and it will be a great test for him

Grantysghost
24-08-2020, 01:28 PM

Surely they wouldn't do that. As much as I think Gardner is showing some potential after 7 games, that would be down right cruelty. I'd strongly consider Trengove but Keath should get the first crack.

Mofra
24-08-2020, 01:39 PM
English as forward/second ruck seems to be the most proposed option here. That's enough back-up.

Happy Days
24-08-2020, 02:03 PM
While Keath might get the job, we need to allow Gardner the oppotunity if the MC are going to keep picking him.

Why though? Why do I have to even vaguely endorse something I know to be a terrible idea and that will not work?

This isn't a "let's do the best with what the actual match committee will do" thread (or at least it shouldn't be).

bulldogsthru&thru
24-08-2020, 02:22 PM
I fully agree with your statement,

...but at present our ruck consists of a probably unfit and worn down English being replaced by an out of form full forward, who is being shown how it is done by a centre who is not being allowed to play his natural match winning game (Dunkley had 20 possessions less than last time, English had less than half of his usual and Bruce had about 5 .).

In other words ‘ we don’t have a ruck ‘.

If Sweet had been obliterated against Melbourne, unlikely against a possibly injured backup, we would have still won and had the added advantage of seeing it. (At the moment I could also justify him replacing Bruce as a goal kicker)

I understand that he is in the Trengove-Young group but I can’t see this experimental team structure helping us get to another grand final. A win is good but the supporters are looking beyond Adelaide and Melbourne as measures of progress.

That's a good point. We're swapping one out of form player with another to the detriment of one of our best mids. It was a great move by Bevo but it does point to a greater problem. Either Bruce is up to it as a forward or he's dropped and either English shows something in the ruck or he has to be dropped if we insist on one ruckman or played as the second ruck behind someone else.

The Pie Man
24-08-2020, 02:30 PM
English as forward/second ruck seems to be the most proposed option here. That's enough back-up.

That's what I'd advocate for. Given Bevo's praise of Bruce's efforts in the 2nd half, I doubt he'll drop him....but structurally it makes more sense to me to have English forward as the 2nd banana with another legit ruck option as the number 1 given we now have actual senior evidence that Tim can play forward.

Do we get hung up on ruck matchups a bit as well?

bulldogsthru&thru
24-08-2020, 02:33 PM
That's what I'd advocate for. Given Bevo's praise of Bruce's efforts in the 2nd half, I doubt he'll drop him....but structurally it makes more sense to me to have English forward as the 2nd banana with another legit ruck option as the number 1 given we now have actual senior evidence that Tim can play forward.

It's an interesting area for sure. I mean how many taps a game are genuinely to advantage? Probaly half a dozen at most. Tim has the advantage in almost all other aspects of the game. What gets me, though, is his frequent inability to simply negate the ruck contest by avoiding physical contact. This leads to easy taps to the opposition. Dunks and Macrae are better than him at this.

Rocket Science
24-08-2020, 03:26 PM

Seems it's a key concern for the coach, this from his post-game presser ...

"We're aching for the time when our ruck can allow our players (our mids) to be proactive."

Hi Timmy!

The 'Bruce' move might've helped plug a hole out of desperation versus the Dees but you can't imagine it troubling a ruckman of genuine note, let alone aiding Bruce find some rhythm in the gig he was actually recruited for.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-08-2020, 03:35 PM
Seems it's a key concern for the coach, this from his post-game presser ...

"We're aching for the time when our ruck can allow our players (our mids) to be proactive."

Hi Timmy!

The 'Bruce' move might've helped plug a hole out of desperation versus the Dees but you can't imagine it troubling a ruckman of genuine note, let alone aiding Bruce find some rhythm in the gig he was actually recruited for.

See I don't get this from Bevo. Hasn't he been preaching all along that he doesn't rate the ruck?

Rocket Science
24-08-2020, 03:51 PM
See I don't get this from Bevo. Hasn't he been preaching all along that he doesn't rate the ruck?

Suspect he's had that luxury because our list boasts names like Bontempelli, Macrae, Liberatore & Co.

You get the feeling our mids are good enough to make the best of any ruck disparity but it's reached a point where it's hindering the coach deploying other stoppage setups and strategies ... It's certainly the first whiff of frustration with English we've heard escape from Bevo's mouth.

bornadog
24-08-2020, 03:58 PM

NO, he has never said that. That is a WOOF thing

bulldogsthru&thru
24-08-2020, 04:00 PM

So it's more his reluctance to not sacrifice mobility/run around the ground that he doesn't try a true ruckman?

comrade
24-08-2020, 04:01 PM

It's actually more a team selection thing.

bornadog
24-08-2020, 04:02 PM
So it's more his reluctance to not sacrifice mobility/run around the ground that he doesn't try a true ruckmen?

What I have been hearing in his press conferences is that Timmy is still learning his craft, and he will help him as much as possible. Sometimes that may be the unorthodox like Dunkley in the ruck, but each game will depend on the opposition.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-08-2020, 04:03 PM

I don't recall him ever saying that?
His statement above that Rocket Science posted, is the most pointed he's been about our ruck problem.
I thiink his position has always been, winning the tap isn't important, if you lose the subsequent battle for clearance. Furthermore I think its clear that in Bevo's team the expectation is that ruckmen have to add value beyond the tap. Hence why he often 'mitigates' English's tap deficiency by subbing in a mid like Dunkley, Jong, Bont or Macrae- to ensure we still win our share of clearances, whilst still keeping English in for the other areas he gives us an advantage in.

Happy Days
24-08-2020, 04:05 PM
Ferg kicked 4 more in the scratch match. Free Ferg?

bornadog
24-08-2020, 04:06 PM
His statement above that Rocket Science posted, is the most pointed he's been about our ruck problem.
I thiink his position has always been, winning the tap isn't important, if you lose the subsequent battle for clearance. Furthermore I think its clear that in Bevo's team the expectation is that ruckmen have to add value beyond the tap. Hence why he often 'mitigates' English's tap deficiency by subbing in a mid like Dunkley, Jong, Bont or Macrae- to ensure we still win our share of clearances, whilst still keeping English in for the other areas he gives us an advantage in.

Spot on, you explain it better than me. I agree with Bevo, that the ruckman can't just be therte for great tap work. If you go back to Minson, he was a brilliant tap ruckman but pretty much useless around the ground.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-08-2020, 04:09 PM

Thanks. This clears up the situation well.

bornadog
24-08-2020, 04:09 PM

story here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/800839)

Mature-aged wingman Will Hayes has continued his push for selection with another strong scratch-match performance.

The 25-year-old impressed for the second week running, as the Bulldogs edged past a combined Carlton-Essendon side by eight points on Friday afternoon.

Hayes played nine AFL games last year, in his first season on the AFL list, but has yet to break through for a senior game this year.

In an even team performance, there were plenty of players who contributed across four 20-minute quarters.

Fergus Greene had a say on the scoreboard, slotting four goals, with Tory Dickson also continuing his solid scratch match form with a goal and a hand in a couple of others.

Another experienced forward, Sam Lloyd, also had an impact – kicking three majors and spending some time through the midfield – as did big man Jordon Sweet with some nice tap work and two majors.

Development manager Jamie Maddocks on the midfield…

“Will Hayes again put in a really good performance, as he does with his tank he gets up and down the ground all day. He was involved at both ends of the ground, transitioning from defence and going inside-50. He had some important moments. Jordon Sweet started the game really well and had an impact around the ball, feeding it down to his mates at his feet. Billy Gowers was solid again, and we had an inexperienced midfield with guys like Riley Garcia and Cody Weightman spending time in there to get some experience. Riley was really good around the contest and Cody was good on the spread away.”

On the forwards…

“Fergus Greene kicked four and was pretty good for the most of the game. Tory Dickson again was lively early and had his moments, he passed the ball well to his teammates and hit the scoreboard. Sam Lloyd was good, he went through the midfield as well, he gave us some experience and brought teammates into the game. Bailey Dale does what he does, he kicked the ball well and had a couple of nice shimmies. Josh Schache looked a bit rusty early in his second game back, but then came into his own as the game went on as he does with his big tank. He did some nice things leading up, and went into the ruck as well.”

On the backs…

“Lewis Young was really important in terms of his positioning and setting up the game the way we want to play it. Deeper in defence behind him, Jackson Trengove helped everyone else set up. Buku Khamis had some good moments in the air too. When you get the ball in the hands of guys like Louis Butler or Brad Lynch, you know something good is likely to happen. We’ve got to get more of the ball into their hands to capitalise on their explosiveness.”

WESTERN BULLDOGS 3.3 8.3 11.4 13.5 (83)
CARLTON/ESSENDON 3.1 6.3 9.7 11.9 (75)

Goals: Greene 4, Lloyd 3, Sweet 2, Dale, Dickson, Hayes, Weightman

bulldogsthru&thru
24-08-2020, 04:10 PM

Ferg for Cavarra?

Good signs with plenty of pressure on the senior players. Lloyd and Dickson also making a claim as well as Hayes and Sweet after kicking a couple himself.

And hooray we got a Lewis Young anf Brad Lynch mention!!! What a time to be alive.

bornadog
24-08-2020, 04:22 PM
Ferg for Cavarra?

Good signs with plenty of pressure on the senior players. Lloyd and Dickson also making a claim as well as Hayes and Sweet after kicking a couple himself.

And hooray we got a Lewis Young anf Brad Lynch mention!!! What a time to be alive.

Schache also mentioned in the ruck - now there is a good option. Played good footy as second ruck in a few games last year. Hawks match he kicked two goals whilst playing in the ruck.

DOG GOD
24-08-2020, 04:26 PM
Schache also mentioned in the ruck - now there is a good option. Played good footy as second ruck in a few games last year. Hawks match he kicked two goals whilst playing in the ruck.

If Bruce does nothing against cats and eagles, maybe Schache will get a call up against Hawks

bulldogsthru&thru
24-08-2020, 04:28 PM

Yeah hopefully playing ruck might put a bit of mongrel in him. I won't hold my breath. If he or Lewis Young can become competent 2nd rucks we'll be in a good position.

soupman
24-08-2020, 04:37 PM
Don't touch the forwardline. The weekend was the most open and quickest it's looked for ages, I think any of the mentioned forwards in the reserves slow it down again.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-08-2020, 04:42 PM
I suspect prior to the bye and fresh off a win we will go in unchanged.

azabob
24-08-2020, 04:57 PM
Need more match day reporting like this....

Bailey Dale does what he does, he kicked the ball well and had a couple of nice shimmies

Bulldog4life
24-08-2020, 05:02 PM
Cordy and Suckling in the frame for selection this week. Would presume Cords comes in.

Bulldog Joe
24-08-2020, 05:06 PM
I could entertain Cordy for Bruce.

Zaine is ultra competitive and contributes when he plays forward. He has also been used previously to do some ruck work and more suited than Josh Dunkley.

comrade
24-08-2020, 05:06 PM
I could entertain Cordy for Bruce.

Zaine is ultra competitive and contributes when he plays forward. He has also been used previously to do some ruck work and more suited than Josh Dunkley.

Yeah, I can get on board for that. Cordy is a premiership CHF let's not forget :)

Rocco Jones
24-08-2020, 05:27 PM
Yeah I think it's Zaine vs Gardner vs Bruce for two spots. I think if Zaine is right, we go with either:
a- Zaine back + Bruce forward/ruck
b- Gardner back + Zaine forward/ruck

Richards vs Hayes too I think. Pace vs gut running.

comrade
24-08-2020, 05:29 PM
This might sound crazy but IMO, Bruce has been pound for pound worse than Gardner in 2020.

Rocket Science
24-08-2020, 05:30 PM
Might Hayes be in the frame for more run, and potentially a minding job?

Feel our best chance of breaking down Geelong's hyper-organised defensive zoning and to avoiding feeding their interceptors all night is with all the run and carry we can muster and rapid-fire possession chains.

Otherwise she might be a rather long night for our back six.

GVGjr
24-08-2020, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I can get on board for that. Cordy is a premiership CHF let's not forget :)

and kicked our first goal on that day :)

Axe Man
24-08-2020, 05:41 PM
Yeah I think it's Zaine vs Gardner vs Bruce for two spots. I think if Zaine is right, we go with either:
a- Zaine back + Bruce forward/ruck
b- Gardner back + Zaine forward/ruck

Richards vs Hayes too I think. Pace vs gut running.

Feel our best chance of breaking down Geelong's hyper-organised defensive zoning and to avoiding feeding their interceptors all night is with all the run and carry we can muster and rapid-fire possession chains.

Menegola is in the conversation for the wing in the AA team - Hayes to limit his influence?

Grantysghost
24-08-2020, 05:45 PM
story here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/800839)

Looks like we are just developing Gowers for the midfield now? Billy Dangerfield come on down !?

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7ZeEZUzRjyvWuuIg/giphy.gif

GVGjr
24-08-2020, 06:04 PM

He hasn't made the emergency list yet so I'm guessing but I think that puts him behind others but you never know

Jeanette54
24-08-2020, 11:50 PM
Bruce to Hawkins, English to Full Forward (note: chalk long bombs to Timmy on the blackboard), Naughton to Centre Half Forward and Sweet to first ruck.

Swap Cordy for Gardiner, if Zaine is fit, or leave Gardiner there if he is not.

Perhaps bring Schache in for Cavarra, given Geelong's marking strength in the backline.

I know it won't happen, but think its worth a go.

bornadog
24-08-2020, 11:53 PM
Bruce to Hawkins, English to Full Forward (note: chalk long bombs to Timmy on the blackboard), Naughton to Centre Half Forward and Sweet to first ruck.

Perhaps bring Schache in for Cavarra, given Geelong's marking strength in the backline.

Gardner

azabob
25-08-2020, 09:34 AM

Some left of field thinking there. I am not sure I'd be changing too much up this week.

You rightly point out Geelongs marking power down back so i'd be inclined either to bring in Lewis Young for Bruce or stick with Bruce and have them play forward and compete with the Cats marking defenders.
Schache isn't exactly a high marking player so not sure he'd offer the same as Bruce or Lewis Young. If Schache was to play he'd play as a decoy lead up forward to draw the cats defenders away from Naughton.

We have played good footy for two weeks in a row and the team on the weekend looked as well balanced as it has for a while.

I'm still sticking with my changes earlier in the week

IN - Lewis Young (to play forward even though in the scratch match he played back)
OUT - Josh Bruce

Mofra
25-08-2020, 09:46 AM
Played well the scratch match earlier.

The question is - who do you drop after a good performance? Cordy and Suckling may be available too.

Happy Days
25-08-2020, 10:29 AM
This might sound crazy but IMO, Bruce has been pound for pound worse than Gardner in 2020.

I see what you did there.

Happy Days
25-08-2020, 10:31 AM
Played well the scratch match earlier.

The question is - who do you drop after a good performance? Cordy and Suckling may be available too.

Bruce. I’m confident English can hold his own against Marshmellow Thunder Rhys Stanley with only the mids as support.

Bulldog4life
25-08-2020, 12:39 PM
I think there will be one change. Cordy for Gardner (managed).

GVGjr
25-08-2020, 12:42 PM
I think there will be one change. Cordy for Gardner (managed).

It sounds logical but does Gardner need to be managed?

Bulldog4life
25-08-2020, 12:44 PM
It sounds logical but does Gardner need to be managed?

Watching the replay he seemed to take ages to stand up a number of times after being crunched. Also a polite way of dropping him.

comrade
25-08-2020, 12:46 PM
I don't think Bevo will drop Gardner after his best game at AFL level.

GVGjr
25-08-2020, 12:54 PM

He shouldn't but Cordy might be higher up the order and also a 'reasonable' back up for Keath on Hawkins
Hawkins will be a massive challenge for us

Bulldog Joe
25-08-2020, 12:55 PM

Despite the wishes of those on here, I feel certain Gardner will play and probably have first crack at Hawkins.

Might be a make or break game for Ryan.

1eyedog
25-08-2020, 01:08 PM
Despite the wishes of those on here, I feel certain Gardner will play and probably have first crack at Hawkins.

Oh dear. That would be not only a make or break game for Ryan but a make or break game for us in 2020. If this happens the game could be away from us by quarter time. I don't mean to shite on Gardner, he gets enough of that, but he would be giving away at least 20kg and a ton of 'know how' to the most in-form power forward in the competition.

GVGjr
25-08-2020, 01:09 PM

For what it's worth I think we need to stick with Gardner for the balance of the season. We obviously rate some of his traits and he just needs to get some games under his belt.

bornadog
25-08-2020, 01:19 PM
Oh dear. That would be not only a make or break game for Ryan but a make or break game for us in 2020. If this happens the game could be away from us by quarter time. I don't mean to shite on Gardner, he gets enough of that, but he would be giving away at least 20kg and a ton of 'know how' to the most in-form power forward in the competition.

Would be an absolute disaster. You can't put a 7 gamer on a brute like Hawkins.

Last year Trengove took him on and he only kicked two including a stupid error from Trengove gifting him a goal.

We can't afford to lose this game, so Trengove has to come in to play on Hawkins, otherwise it will be Keath.

Rocket Science
25-08-2020, 01:28 PM
So Geelong are challenging the Dahlhaus ban and just quietly I kinda hope they succeed.

bornadog
25-08-2020, 01:30 PM
So Geelong are challenging the Dahlhaus ban and just quietly I kinda hope they succeed.

Why?

hujsh
25-08-2020, 01:32 PM
Why?

So he shanks it and does those Dahlhaus things he does

Axe Man
25-08-2020, 01:40 PM

Whilst I agree it would be more like 10kgs unless Tom has porked up a lot in the hub.

GVGjr
25-08-2020, 01:43 PM

Keath will get first crack on Hawkins and maybe Bruce might be the support. I don't see Gardner on him for much more than a few switches

1eyedog
25-08-2020, 01:47 PM
Whilst I agree it would be more like 10kgs unless Tom has porked up a lot in the hub.

I don't believe for a second that Tom is 103kg.

Axe Man
25-08-2020, 01:52 PM
I don't believe for a second that Tom is 103kg.

Surely he's not over 113kgs, he would be about the heaviest in the league if so (apart from the 150kg Josh Bruce)?

Get BAD onto it, he is our resident body weight expert. ;)

ratsmac
25-08-2020, 02:03 PM
Gardner has inside knowledge of how the cats play! That's a glass half full stuff right there :)

I really hope Cordy comes straight back in for Gardner. When our mids defend the ground good our back 6 look much better with Cordy there and unfortunately for Gardner not so much with him there. I also agree that Trengove is a good match up for Hawkins but Hawkins is in pretty good touch at the minute. We just can't leave Hawkins 1 on 1 because it won't matter who is on him from our list. He too smart too strong. We just have to starve him of opportunity is our best defence.

I'm more worried about Geelong's intercept marking. Our forward line must either mark it or bring it to ground if we are any chance. This is why I think Bruce has to play. Apart from the Port game I think Bruce has been OK in not being out marked at least. Goals will come for Bruce I have no doubt (well maybe a little doubt). Naughts and Bruce still haven't had much time together and it will click eventually.

In - Cordy
Out - Gardner

Ozza
25-08-2020, 02:05 PM
Keath generally plays as our deepest and Hawkins plays as their deepest forward - so by default I'd expect Keath to be on Hawkins if we go in with the same back 7.

Geelong went in quite short last week, with Hawkins the only tall forward, and Stanley & Blicavs sharing ruck duties. If they pick a similar team, I'd have thought Gardner's more suitable match up is Stanley & Blicavs.

Rohan is taller than you would think, however, a logical match up for Wood.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-08-2020, 02:07 PM
Geelong's defence is also the best once the ball goes to ground and as we know our ability up forward to crumb isn't great. We're going to need to clunk them friday night.

Ozza
25-08-2020, 02:19 PM
Geelong's defence is also the best once the ball goes to ground and as we know our ability up forward to crumb isn't great. We're going to need to clunk them friday night.

The biggest indicator of Geelong's defensive success is that they prevent marks being taken inside 50.

In the games they have LOST this season - Geelong conceded an average of 13 marks inside 50.
In the games they have WON this season - Geelong conceded an average of 4.9 marks inside 50. (They kept Port and Freo in the wet to 2 marks i50, and St Kilda, Hawks, and Suns to 4.

We have to find a way to get inside 50 before it gets congested, and to hit up short targets whenever we get a chance. Early in the season, the Giants, Blues and Pies were able to hit targets inside 50.

Mantis
25-08-2020, 03:33 PM
Keath generally plays as our deepest and Hawkins plays as their deepest forward - so by default I'd expect Keath to be on Hawkins if we go in with the same back 7.

Geelong went in quite short last week, with Hawkins the only tall forward, and Stanley & Blicavs sharing ruck duties. If they pick a similar team, I'd have thought Gardner's more suitable match up is Stanley & Blicavs.

Rohan is taller than you would think, however, a logical match up for Wood.

I didn't watch all of Geelong's game on the weekend, but I'm sure I saw Ratugolea out there.. or was I mistaken?

Mantis
25-08-2020, 03:35 PM
The biggest indicator of Geelong's defensive success is that they prevent marks being taken inside 50.

In the games they have LOST this season - Geelong conceded an average of 13 marks inside 50.
In the games they have WON this season - Geelong conceded an average of 4.9 marks inside 50. (They kept Port and Freo in the wet to 2 marks i50, and St Kilda, Hawks, and Suns to 4.

We have to find a way to get inside 50 before it gets congested, and to hit up short targets whenever we get a chance. Early in the season, the Giants, Blues and Pies were able to hit targets inside 50.

Quick, brave & clean ball movement will be the key.. Slow & long kicks down the line will be eaten up by Geelong so we need to go quick and take the game on.

hujsh
25-08-2020, 03:38 PM
I didn't watch all of Geelong's game on the weekend, but I'm sure I saw Ratugolea out there.. or was I mistaken?

You absolutely did

GVGjr
25-08-2020, 03:40 PM

He played. I think Blicavs lined up on a wing

Axe Man
25-08-2020, 03:42 PM

Yep he played. He also fits into menacingly into the key forwards that are not very good but have career games against the Bulldogs category.

bornadog
25-08-2020, 03:43 PM
Surely he's not over 113kgs, he would be about the heaviest in the league if so (apart from the 150kg Josh Bruce)?

Not sure on this one, have to study him but he is big

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EgPX_zUU0AATQRH?format=jpg&name=medium

Axe Man
25-08-2020, 03:44 PM
Not sure on this one, have to study him but he is big

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EgPX_zUU0AATQRH?format=jpg&name=medium

Nah, it's just the hoops that make him look big.

Ozza
25-08-2020, 03:50 PM

Yep you're right I completely forgot Ratugolea.

I saw about half of the game and swear I never sighted him! But he did play.

1eyedog
25-08-2020, 04:12 PM

Yeah the heaviest I can find him is 110kg so I probably over-estimated his weight a fair bit but he's a massive unit who throws even big full backs around. One thing in Ryan's favour I suppose is that he would have spent a fair bit of time manning up Tom in the past.

azabob
25-08-2020, 04:50 PM
Yeah the heaviest I can find him is 110kg so I probably over-estimated his weight a fair bit but he's a massive unit who throws even big full backs around. One thing in Ryan's favour I suppose is that he would have spent a fair bit of time manning up Tom in the past.

Or that could be in Tom's favour depending what side of the coin you look at.

Happy Days
25-08-2020, 04:54 PM

He mustn’t have done too good a job considering they delisted him.

1eyedog
25-08-2020, 04:56 PM

That's true

bornadog
25-08-2020, 05:07 PM
He mustn’t have done too good a job considering they delisted him.

They got rid of Hamling to :D

Rocket Science
25-08-2020, 09:27 PM
The Dahlhaus charge just tossed so we'll have the pleasure of his company after all.

The MRP just killing it this week.

Grantysghost
25-08-2020, 11:34 PM
Interestingly. All the teams we have beaten are currently below us on the ladder. Conversely teams we’ve struggled against above.

Guess we are exactly where we should be, hope we can buck the trend this week.

Dry Rot
25-08-2020, 11:43 PM
We are tracking pretty well with injuries, according to https://www.afl.com.au/news/490862/the-full-afl-injury-list-round-14

But hell, check out the Swans. Have you ever seen a worse injury list?

jeemak
26-08-2020, 12:13 AM
Quick, brave & clean ball movement will be the key.. Slow & long kicks down the line will be eaten up by Geelong so we need to go quick and take the game on.

Kind of like how we play when we are playing well, which I think as far as the season has gone to date, we kind of are.

I'm pretty buoyant about this week's game, however, I've seen us have our pants pulled down by this mob a few times having felt that way in the lead up beforehand.

We actually match up well against them, but struggle when their prime movers get off the leash. This week for me isn't about which changes we make around the fringes, more so, it's about how our core players decide to approach the game in terms of attitude and application. We have the players to be dangerous to the Cats, they have the players to be dangerous to us...…...which side is more likely to acknowledge that and do something about it?

jeemak
26-08-2020, 12:15 AM
Interestingly. All the teams we have beaten are currently below us on the ladder. Conversely teams we’ve struggled against above.

Guess we are exactly where we should be, hope we can buck the trend this week.

There's a few we've beaten that were above us......if you're a middling team it's just how it is.

Makes it easy as *!*!*!*! for commentators and fills news print, but the reality is you can only play who you play.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-08-2020, 12:33 AM
Importantly we’ve beaten the sides contending for the last spot in the 8 except carlton. The only thing we haven’t done is taken a scalp. We’ve got two chances to do it. Are we up to the challenge?
The dees knocked off collingwood - albeit a completely different side to the one we played
Carlton knocked off geelong (and us)
GWS knocked off geelong, Collingwood and Richmond

Ozza
26-08-2020, 09:45 AM
Every season, we pull off an upset against one of the top sides at least once. It would be a good week to make this happen.

Grantysghost
26-08-2020, 10:11 AM
They have only played one game at "men of mayhem metricon" so we've got the home ground advantage :cool:

Downside is they beat Port by 10 goals.

I would bring in Cordy this week for Gardner maybe to stick to the thread.

Jam Donuts
26-08-2020, 01:42 PM
And what a ripper that was, set up the day for us

Jeanette54
26-08-2020, 02:02 PM
Having now watched the analysis of Geelong's forward line performance in "On the couch", and their reliance on Hawkins to score, I wanted to repeat my suggestion of putting Bruce on Hawkins. Josh is very good at the physical contact aspect, and could be an advantage in bringing the ball to ground from marking contests. I guess it would be a Gorilla on Gorilla contest, not Keaths or Gardner's strongpoint.

comrade
26-08-2020, 02:06 PM
Having now watched the analysis of Geelong's forward line performance in "On the couch", and their reliance on Hawkins to score, I wanted to repeat my suggestion of putting Bruce on Hawkins. Josh is very good at the physical contact aspect, and could be an advantage in bringing the ball to ground from marking contests. I guess it would be a Gorilla on Gorilla contest, not Keaths or Gardner's strongpoint.

It's a big ask for a guy who isn't in the best touch, and hasn't played as a defender for at least 5-6 years. I'm all for changing up his role in some way though, more likely in the ruck, because as a forward only, he's a total bust right now.

Axe Man
26-08-2020, 02:31 PM

I don't think it's the right way to go. Hawkins will beat anyone in a battle of strength, including Bruce. Positioning is more important than strength. Hartigan actually did a decent job on Hawkins and he isn't that big and isn't that good. We saw Port Adelaide demonstrate perfectly how not to play Hawkins. I will back Keath to do a decent job provided the delivery isn't silver service and he gets some help.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-08-2020, 03:05 PM
I don't think it's the right way to go. Hawkins will beat anyone in a battle of strength, including Bruce. Positioning is more important than strength. Hartigan actually did a decent job on Hawkins and he isn't that big and isn't that good. We saw Port Adelaide demonstrate perfectly how not to play Hawkins. I will back Keath to do a decent job provided the delivery isn't silver service and he gets some help.

Zoning off and intercepting is the way to beat him. The cats will try isolate him and they do it well. They had Hawkins one-on-one with Carlisle against the saints and Hawkins tore him apart. Carlisle is a big bodied defender too but got caught in front too often. The most important thing will be to pressure the cats' forward entries. If we're off on our pressure like we have often been this season it'll be a looooong night.

Topdog
26-08-2020, 04:38 PM

The Bruce at the Bulldogs has been pathetic at the physical contact aspect. In fact he got outmarked and no where near the ball everytime there was physical contact last week. It's a hard pass from me.

bornadog
26-08-2020, 05:55 PM
The Bruce at the Bulldogs has been pathetic at the physical contact aspect. In fact he got outmarked and no where near the ball everytime there was physical contact last week. It's a hard pass from me.

Did take a nice contested mark in the backline

Hotdog60
26-08-2020, 06:31 PM
I would put Billy Gowers on him and tell him to take him out in the first quarter. :)
Seriously I think we need to limit his supply so our mids need to up for the challenge. Maybe deploy a spare down back it they get a run on and tell Easton to fly for anything heading Hawkins way.

Vred
27-08-2020, 02:58 AM
I would put Billy Gowers on him and tell him to take him out in the first quarter. :)
Seriously I think we need to limit his supply so our mids need to up for the challenge. Maybe deploy a spare down back it they get a run on and tell Easton to fly for anything heading Hawkins way.

'Alright Billy, walk out there, soon as first siren goes, break his nose'

Somehow I don't think that would be the Bevo way, Richmond on the other hand....

jeemak
27-08-2020, 03:23 AM
Just watched the third quarter of last week's game and I'm wondering how much we should change things up given that was probably our best quarter of footy for the year.

Do we plan for the best or do we factor in a mitigation strategy against our weaknesses?

Beyond the coaching panel thinking whether either Cordy or Gardner is best suited to play the secondary role in the back half I don't see any changes being logical.

Unchanged unless Cordy is ready to replace Gardner.

Mofra
27-08-2020, 09:30 AM
Zoning off and intercepting is the way to beat him. The cats will try isolate him and they do it well. They had Hawkins one-on-one with Carlisle against the saints and Hawkins tore him apart. Carlisle is a big bodied defender too but got caught in front too often. The most important thing will be to pressure the cats' forward entries. If we're off on our pressure like we have often been this season it'll be a looooong night.
I agree with this - we need to slow down the movement into their F50 and have one of our interceptors (Wood or Crozier) protect the drop zone of the ball.

The difficulty is that most key forwards try and get the ball in front of goal. Hawkins plays the opposite way - he loves to mark in the pocket so protecting the hot-spot (which all KPDs are taught to do) doesn't upset his rhythm.

bornadog
27-08-2020, 11:52 AM
Update from Jourdan Canil (AFL Journo on the ground)

Zaine Cordy will “definitely play at least one level” this weekend.

Will be interesting to see whether Gardner keeps his spot after some solid form.

Taylor Duryea and Matt Suckling will play in the scratch match

Good to see Taylor on the way back.

jazzadogs
27-08-2020, 01:58 PM
Update from Jourdan Canil (AFL Journo on the ground)

Good to see Taylor on the way back.

Duryea was a really important player for us last year, although I feel that Bailey Williams has moved past him for that spot.

I would be pleased with Cordy for Gardner as our only change, assuming everyone else is fit.

Danjul
27-08-2020, 02:34 PM
Duryea was a really important player for us last year, although I feel that Bailey Williams has moved past him for that spot.

I would be pleased with Cordy for Gardner as our only change, assuming everyone else is fit.

I would be pleased with Cordy for Bruce as our only change, assuming everyone else is fit.

comrade
27-08-2020, 02:40 PM
I would be pleased with Cordy for Bruce as our only change, assuming everyone else is fit.

I'm with you there.

bornadog
27-08-2020, 03:33 PM
Listening to Bevo's press conference today, I gathered there will be more of the same in the rucks, ie Tim, Dunks and maybe Bruce.

Sweet is still not quiet ready to take on AFL ruck duties.

I am expecting no change this week, baring any injuries that may have happened.

The Pie Man
27-08-2020, 04:37 PM
Listening to Bevo's press conference today, I gathered there will be more of the same in the rucks, ie Tim, Dunks and maybe Bruce.

Sweet is still not quiet ready to take on AFL ruck duties.

I am expecting no change this week, baring any injuries that may have happened.

I listened to this - to the bit in bold, I would’ve loved to have asked ‘but Tim was when he started?’

comrade
27-08-2020, 04:59 PM
I listened to this - to the bit in bold, I would’ve loved to have asked ‘but Tim was when he started?’

You could argue Tim still isn't quite ready.

The Pie Man
27-08-2020, 05:24 PM
You could argue Tim still isn't quite ready.

Indeed - just all feels a bit stubborn not to expose Sweet and see where he’s at because Bevo

bornadog
27-08-2020, 05:32 PM
Indeed - just all feels a bit stubborn not to expose Sweet and see where he’s at because Bevo

To be honest, we haven't seen Sweet performing this year.

Rocket Science
27-08-2020, 05:38 PM
Unsurprisingly Chad Cornes has a view (https://www.afl.com.au/news/491044/strange-ruck-call-could-stifle-gun-dog-surprising-twist-in-the-tale) on our ruck situation.

It's low hanging fruit but he's basically only parroting what our coach himself said last week, that our ruck predicament means our mids are forced to set up reactively rather than proactively.

Yet, here we go again.

bornadog
27-08-2020, 05:42 PM
Unsurprisingly Chad Cornes has a view (https://www.afl.com.au/news/491044/strange-ruck-call-could-stifle-gun-dog-surprising-twist-in-the-tale) on our ruck situation.

It's low hanging fruit but he's basically only parroting what our coach himself said last week, that our ruck predicament means our mids are forced to set up reactively rather than proactively.

Yet, here we go again.

Unlike others, I am not too worried about the ruck role. As long as we win, who cares how unorthodox it is.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-08-2020, 06:13 PM

I think Bevo see's in Tim the type of player who can be the dominant ruckmen in all facets, and is therefore prepared to give him time to develop. He wouldn't be inclined to do it however if Tim didn't have other attributes he could utilise in his game plan.
Bevo even in our premiership year was unorthodox with the ruck, in order to fit with his game plan.

I don't mind what he's doing to be honest. I don't think he doesn't rate the position, more that if we can't leverage it to win the stoppage, then he's going to mitigate so that it doesn't disrupt his game plan.

I bet he's super keen for Tim to blossom as a tap ruckman and that will not only complement his game plan, but add another layer to it. Until that occurs, I reckon he'll continue to employ tactics that ensure the game plan isn't compromised.

I think that Sweet 'isn't ready' as per Bevo's comment means that he doesn't yet trust him to do be able to either do the work around the ground Tim does, nor win our mids enough first use at the ruck contest.

Grantysghost
27-08-2020, 06:39 PM

Yet, here we go again.

Amazing that Dunks attended more ruck contests than Tim last week (24 Dunks, 23 Tim, 17 Bruce). I didn't realise he was used so often during the game. I guess Bruce probably stole Tim's attendances in the second half.

Happy Days
27-08-2020, 06:49 PM

Yet, here we go again.

That's a very facetious take from Kane. No one has suggested Dunkley is trying to actually become a ruckman, he's just attending the contests because someone has to, rarely actually competing in them.

azabob
27-08-2020, 07:22 PM
ROUND 14 TEAM

Western Bulldogs v Geelong Cats
Friday 28 August, 7.50pm AEST
Metricon Stadium

B: Easton Wood, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
HB: Bailey Williams, Ryan Gardner, Hayden Crozier
C: Bailey Smith, Jack Macrae, Jason Johannisen
HF: Toby McLean, Josh Bruce, Mitch Wallis
F: Tom Liberatore, Aaron Naughton, Lachie Hunter
Foll: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Josh Dunkley
Int: Ed Richards, Laitham Vandermeer, Tory Dickson, Will Hayes
Emer: Lewis Young, Ben Cavarra, Pat Lipinski, Roarke Smith

azabob
27-08-2020, 07:23 PM
IN: Dickson, Hayes
OUT: Cavarra, Lipinski

azabob
27-08-2020, 07:24 PM
Another set of solid changes. Team is looking stronger by the week.

I hope we haven’t left our run too late.

The Underdog
27-08-2020, 07:26 PM
I’m all....meh

Scraggers
27-08-2020, 07:33 PM

Another set of solid changes. Team is looking stronger by the week.

I hope we haven’t left our run too late.

Hayes for Lipinski? I would have rather kept Pat ... Not a Hayes fan.

Happy Days
27-08-2020, 07:36 PM
Yeah don’t see how Hayes for Lipinski makes us better.

Rocket Science
27-08-2020, 07:38 PM
Bringing in a cold Dicko to the white hot heat of the Cats makes me anxious.

And one can only assume Hayes will be given a 'task'.

azabob
27-08-2020, 07:39 PM
I think Hayes offers us more defensive run and coverage than Lipinksi.

Our biggest weakness is not working hard enough when we don’t have the ball.

GVGjr
27-08-2020, 07:41 PM

Reasonable ins and outs I would have thought. Hayes hasn't even made it to the emergency list before this week

kruder
27-08-2020, 07:41 PM
I've got a soft spot for Tory, happy for him to get another game in our colours.

Lippa had it coming, his effort to tackle on the wing last week just isn't AFL standard. It's been something that he would have been working on but just hasn't made progress this year.

G-Mo77
27-08-2020, 07:49 PM
I don't get the Cavarra out. Sure he was pretty much unsighted last game but he's a player we need to play and make a decision on. We need a small forward, he fits the mold but is now gone after 2 games. I'm happy to see Tory back in though, don't get me wrong on that.

Gardner as our KPD will bring us down. There is no way he'll cope, hope I'm wrong but just don't see that happening.

1eyedog
27-08-2020, 07:56 PM
I don't get the Cavarra out. Sure he was pretty much unsighted last game but he's a player we need to play and make a decision on. We need a small forward, he fits the mold but is now gone after 2 games. I'm happy to see Tory back in though, don't get me wrong on that.

Gardner as our KPD will bring us down. There is no way he'll cope, hope I'm wrong but just don't see that happening.

Hardly touched it both times this year.

GVGjr
27-08-2020, 07:57 PM

I hear you but we've moved all in on him and I think we need to stick with him for the balance of the seasons. His mobility and athleticism is something that we must value highly. if he can get through his nerves he might make it

1eyedog
27-08-2020, 08:00 PM
Bringing in a cold Dicko to the white hot heat of the Cats makes me anxious.

And one can only assume Hayes will be given a 'task'.

Well considering Cav, Weightman, Dale and West have given not much in the role I'd think the Dickson inclusion is negligible.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-08-2020, 08:03 PM

I think Hayes for Lipinski is a good move. Lipa doesn't have the pace to go with a Mitch Duncan or Guthrie. Hayes will need to do a good job.

Great to see Dicko again. We need his goalkicking. His inclusion could really unlock some space for our other forwards. Geelong will ignore Dicko at their peril. He only needs 4or 5 good possessions to hurt really hurt them.

The Pie Man
27-08-2020, 08:05 PM
Ins I’m ok with

I’m not a massive Lipinski fan, but feel he’s pretty unlucky.

With those two ins, I’d would’ve pulled Richards & McLean

bornadog
27-08-2020, 08:08 PM
Good to see Dicko back.

jazzadogs
27-08-2020, 08:10 PM
I think Pat would have been disappointed with some of his efforts over the last month, and while I don't think Hayes is necessarily a better player he has attributes that could help us.

I feel like Cav is stiff as I thought he got to good spots, but Dicko is such a clever forward that I'm happy to have him in.

The only name that really stands out is Gardner, and you imagine that Cordy will come in for him with a scratch match under his belt.

The Pie Man
27-08-2020, 08:10 PM
Good to see Dicko back.

Aye, ‘tis!

Just hope the body holds up

angelopetraglia
27-08-2020, 08:15 PM
The crumbing goal that Cav kicked last week I thought was enough for him to cement his spot for a few weeks. Dicko is a different type of player. I do think we need a genuine crumbed at the feet of Naughton. Who is that in the team?

Don’t understand Hayes. His a runner. Covers the ground exceptionally well. Massive tank. But all things that Lippa brings too. What does Hayes bring Lippa doesn’t. I think Hayes is inferior with ball in hand and and he fumbles too much. What attributes does Hayes have that Lippa doesn’t?

comrade
27-08-2020, 08:24 PM
Lipinski has been in need of a spell for a few weeks, so I’m ok with Hayes coming in for him.

Very disappointed we haven’t backed Cavarra in.

As expected, Bevo has gone all in on Gardner. Good luck kid.

G-Mo77
27-08-2020, 08:30 PM
The crumbing goal that Cav kicked last week I thought was enough for him to cement his spot for a few weeks. Dicko is a different type of player. I do think we need a genuine crumbed at the feet of Naughton. Who is that in the team?

Cavarra or Weightman, that's it. Neither playing.

comrade
27-08-2020, 08:32 PM
On a positive note, we're edging closer to the day where all of Gardner, Hayes, Gowers and Roarke Smith play together.

Happy Days
27-08-2020, 08:41 PM
On a positive note, we're edging closer to the day where all of Gardner, Hayes, Gowers and Roarke Smith play together.

Well now I've gotta see that at least once before I die.

Eastdog
27-08-2020, 08:42 PM
Good to see Dicko back.

Hopefully he can kick a bag.

comrade
27-08-2020, 08:45 PM

If our finals chances are up in smoke, I hope Fremantle are ready.

Axe Man
27-08-2020, 08:51 PM

It may well be the last thing some supporters see before it tips them over the edge.

josie
27-08-2020, 08:57 PM
Hardly touched it both times this year.

I thought Cavarra did ok as a small pressure forward. All the small pressure forwards have quiet patches. Benny is a tad quicker than Tory I think, however I'm happy to see Dicko in and upset Cavarra dropped. Hope he is kept on list for next year as I think Cavarra has something to offer & will grow into role. Go Dicko !!!

Speed with Hayes could be useful vs Cats.

Lippy will be back you'd think depending upon who we play.

X fingers Gardner & rest of backline do a good job. Feel bit more confident now Crozier is back & settled in a for a few games.

Bumper Bulldogs
27-08-2020, 09:20 PM

Don’t understand Hayes. His a runner. Covers the ground exceptionally well. Massive tank. But all things that Lippa brings too. What does Hayes bring Lippa doesn’t. I think Hayes is inferior with ball in hand and and he fumbles too much. What attributes does Hayes have that Lippa doesn’t?

I recon Will coming back in brings a message that Pat needs yo hear.

DOG GOD
27-08-2020, 09:20 PM
I just hope we don’t bomb it in to the cats advantage. Good to have Dickson back, but it makes our fwd line even slower. Cats will have a field day running it out of our 50.

Gardner tries hard, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see even a Stanley or Taylor kick 2-3 on him.
If Keath on Hawkins doesn’t work, we are SCREWED!!!

Not giving CAV a fair crack shows me we are in desperate need of a Charlie Cameron clone.

jeemak
27-08-2020, 09:34 PM
I'm a bit annoyed with the Cavarra omission, probably fine with the Lipinski move.

With the former it's possible we simply need to get Dickson into the side to see if he's still suited to the level, and Cavarra's probably got plenty of things to work on albeit his tackling was much better last week.

Hopefully Will can be productive defencively.

bornadog
27-08-2020, 09:45 PM

please no

Bumper Bulldogs
27-08-2020, 09:49 PM
So are we at full strength. Cordy for Gardener is a Lick. But no Schacky, Suckling or Lin Jon. Do these three make us a better side or has the Game gone past them.

bornadog
27-08-2020, 09:51 PM
So are we at full strength. Cordy for Gardener is a Lick. But no Schacky, Suckling or Lin Jon. Do these three make us a better side or has the Game gone past them.

Lin Jong still a few weeks away. Cordy, Duryea and Suckling playing in the Saturday scratch match

Bumper Bulldogs
27-08-2020, 09:58 PM

jeemak
27-08-2020, 10:36 PM
Nah, we're not at full strength just yet but we're getting pretty close.

MrMahatma
27-08-2020, 11:00 PM
Hayes has limitations but Lippa has been poor recently.
Dicko is class and will play well.

I reckon we’re stronger this week than last. Not full strength but really only Cordy the clear best 22 missing now - and even he got off to a poor start this season.

Honestly, we need to win and we have the team chosen to do it.

Happy Days
27-08-2020, 11:08 PM
I think Hayes for Lipinski is a good move. Lipa doesn't have the pace to go with a Mitch Duncan or Guthrie. Hayes will need to do a good job.

Great to see Dicko again. We need his goalkicking. His inclusion could really unlock some space for our other forwards. Geelong will ignore Dicko at their peril. He only needs 4or 5 good possessions to hurt really hurt them.

Great points that I was too blinded by the red mist selection night always seems to give me to make myself.

Grantysghost
27-08-2020, 11:14 PM
I'm not sold on Dickson. Where's the continuity it seems such a weird selection at this point of the season. Don't get me wrong I love Dicko, but what are we saying with this choice? I thought Cavarra had done enough to maintain his spot.

soupman
27-08-2020, 11:27 PM
Dickson over Cavarra is very much a side being picked to win games instead of develop. As opposed to earlier in the year where we experimented a bit this is the best side we can put out there this week. Cavarra may have a future, he may not, but Dickson is a much better option based on known form thus far.

Hayes i am happy to see being given a run, although cannot believe we have waited this long. I love Lipinski and that he is one of the few players in our side who can finish well, but I think Hayes was a competent player by the end of last season and potentially can fill a role more than being a high half forward who floats in and out of the game and loses crucial contests.

Grantysghost
27-08-2020, 11:38 PM
Dickson over Cavarra is very much a side being picked to win games instead of develop. As opposed to earlier in the year where we experimented a bit this is the best side we can put out there this week. Cavarra may have a future, he may not, but Dickson is a much better option based on known form thus far.

Hayes i am happy to see being given a run, although cannot believe we have waited this long. I love Lipinski and that he is one of the few players in our side who can finish well, but I think Hayes was a competent player by the end of last season and potentially can fill a role more than being a high half forward who floats in and out of the game and loses crucial contests.

Yes I agree with this.

Vred
28-08-2020, 12:48 AM

+2 to this.

Hayes by the end of last season looked like someone who could really break into our team, huge tank, tackle pressure, and ran both direction. Also from memory, pretty damn decent set shot as well.

We were just saving Dickson for our finals run, unleash the beast when we need him the most ;)

jeemak
28-08-2020, 02:15 AM
Haye's is ordinary and hasn't the skills by hand or foot that Lipinski has - but he's a grinder and a runner etc. This change is as big a shot across the bow of a relatively young and relatively established player as I've seen for a while. To me it's welcome, let's see how we all react in 20 hours from now.

Mantis
28-08-2020, 09:29 AM
Haye's is ordinary and hasn't the skills by hand or foot that Lipinski has - but he's a grinder and a runner etc. This change is as big a shot across the bow of a relatively young and relatively established player as I've seen for a while. To me it's welcome, let's see how we all react in 20 hours from now.

Pat's defensive efforts have bene extremely poor recently, just gets brushed by way too many times.. he needs to seriously toughen up if he's to forge a good career because he's already behind the 8-ball with his lack of leg speed.

The Doctor
28-08-2020, 09:49 AM
Pat's defensive efforts have bene extremely poor recently, just gets brushed by way too many times.. he needs to seriously toughen up if he's to forge a good career because he's already behind the 8-ball with his lack of leg speed.

100% accurate

He can also learn to 'crack in' in a bit more too

ratsmac
28-08-2020, 10:21 AM
If we are to make finals and if we are to win a final/finals, we need Dickson up and running. Everyone else we have tried there this season hasn't worked for one reason or another. So if we are to contend at all we need Dickson. I think the timing is right for him to come in.

I'm not very keen on Hayes but still happy enough to see him get another crack at it. Hopefully he doesn't get the nervous fumbles. It looks to me that he has been given a task that the MC have zero confidence in Lippa being able to do.

Testekill
28-08-2020, 10:25 AM
Agree with others in that Hayes for Lippa is a downgrade but Lippa has been poor recently and his defensive efforts in particular have been bad. Say what you will about Hayes but he will run and tackle all day.

Dickson for Cavarra is a bit disappointing but if we want to win matches and go deep this year then we need someone who is extremely reliable and in the forward 50. Plus this will probably be Dickson's last roll of the dice all things considered so might as well try and let him go out on a high.

Axe Man
28-08-2020, 10:30 AM
I mentioned it earlier in the week but I think Hayes to keep an eye on Menegola on a wing makes sense. Otherwise as mentioned it could also be Duncan or Guthrie if they are on a wing.

I get people want to give Cavara more of a run but it's make or break time for the season now and he hasn't demanded a spot. If Lloyd or Dale had the game Cavara had on the weekend we would have been calling for their heads.