PDA

View Full Version : The persecution of Robert Muir is the story football doesn't want to hear

bornadog
23-08-2020, 12:35 PM
Read the full story here (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-23/persecution-of-robert-muir-story-football-doesnt-want-to-hear/12553554)

If this story doesn't get you teary eyed, nothing will.

I remember watching Robert in the 80's and he was a scary man, always angry, but I never thought for one moment its was because he was being racially abused.

Reading this excellent article on Robert, I feel so ashamed of people treating someone like the way he was treated, and no doubt many indigenous people.

St Kilda really should be reading this article and bringing Robert back into the fold. It seems they never treated him well either.

Happy Days
23-08-2020, 12:42 PM
Shattering read. Actually had to stop and compose myself after that bit about his appearance on the Footy Show.

We obviously don't have fans showering players with spit and bottles anymore, but when there are commentators talking about predominantly indigenous crowds as if they're cavepeople and others refusing to even to attempt to pronounce Changkuoth Jiath's name, then there is obviously still a lot of work to be done.

bornadog
23-08-2020, 12:50 PM
The Saints have now come out with this:

On a weekend where we celebrate aboriginal culture and the contribution indigenous players have made to the game, we must face the reality that the St Kilda Football Club, and the football community in general, have made grave errors in the past...
and may still be failing to grasp the full impact of the hurt and harm felt by individuals, their families and all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

GVGjr
23-08-2020, 01:03 PM
Appalling to read so graphically that he was racially vilified and the troubles he has encountered over the journey but it doesn't surprise me.
He was an exceptionally talented player but some of his acts on the field were very poor as well

I wish him all the best

bornadog
23-08-2020, 01:08 PM
Go Fund me page for anyone interested:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/saints-fans-for-robert-muir

Dancin' Douggy
23-08-2020, 02:51 PM
Yeah that footy show 'stunt'. Reading that was infuriating. What empty heartless selfish people to do such a thing.

Dancin' Douggy
23-08-2020, 02:58 PM
I found the story so sad. So much damage, so much to push against and fight against your whole life. I always wondered what he had to endure as a player and as a human. We all missed out on the best of Robert Muir. Himself included. His childhood story sounds so brutal and tragic.

GVGjr
23-08-2020, 03:17 PM
Yeah that footy show 'stunt'. Reading that was infuriating. What empty heartless selfish people to do such a thing.

Typical of a show that wanted to create a headline at whatever cost.

comrade
23-08-2020, 03:22 PM
Great article and the right time for it to be written. I hope Robert’s life is changed for the better now that light has been shed on the trauma he has suffered.

Being from Ballarat, I really hope the clubs he was involved with reach out and make things right with him. It sounds like it’d mean a lot.

jeemak
23-08-2020, 03:53 PM
Such an eye opening story, shining a light on a history the AFL would prefer to remain unmentioned.

It's unimaginable to me the torment he's felt over the years, always feeling as if he's being kicked in the guts.

Dry Rot
23-08-2020, 03:56 PM
What was Muir like as a player?

Rocket Science
23-08-2020, 03:59 PM
By way of silver linings ... St. Kilda Club statement: Robert Muir (https://www.saints.com.au/news/799981)

bornadog
23-08-2020, 04:26 PM
By way of silver linings ... St. Kilda Club statement: Robert Muir (https://www.saints.com.au/news/799981)

Well done to the Saints, but you have to ask why has it taken so long.

GVGjr
23-08-2020, 04:33 PM

Damaging player, quick with plenty of endurance. Tough as well

Grantysghost
23-08-2020, 05:06 PM
As a kid growing up watching the replays all I saw was cherry picked footage of him being overtly aggressive. The famous incident seen right throughout my younger days, where he turned and punched Dennis Collins, then had a crack at the crowd. Little did I know at that age the level of abuse he had endured to reach those breaking points. Certainly not acceptable his actions but balanced against the unrelenting abuse you can certainly understand them. Brilliant article one of the most enlightening I've read.

Topdog
23-08-2020, 05:24 PM
Now that's how you write an article. Incredible read and just so sad.
The story and accompanying images of the geelong game were inspiring.

The Doctor
23-08-2020, 05:31 PM

Fabulous tough player but remembered for other reasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUNFO_3rdhI

bornadog
23-08-2020, 06:55 PM
As a kid growing up watching the replays all I saw was cherry picked footage of him being overtly aggressive. The famous incident seen right throughout my younger days, where he turned and punched Dennis Collins, then had a crack at the crowd. Little did I know at that age the level of abuse he had endured to reach those breaking points. Certainly not acceptable his actions but balanced against the unrelenting abuse you can certainly understand them. Brilliant article one of the most enlightening I've read.

Dennis must have said some pretty bad things to him to cop that.

bornadog
23-08-2020, 06:57 PM

Go Fund me has raised $55k to date in one day

FrediKanoute
23-08-2020, 11:30 PM

Go Fund me has raised $55k to date in one day

Wonder if ed, sam and the Footy Show crew have donated......

angelopetraglia
24-08-2020, 12:08 AM
Not looking forward to Eddies’s predictable passionate defence that he and his team did nothing wrong and they are unfairly being victimised again. Defend, deflect, never admit anything.

Sedat
24-08-2020, 12:47 AM
A very sad, harrowing read. I don't think anybody in the football industry comes out of this well.

Whilst I understand the anger and commentary towards the low hanging fruit of The Footy Show, it is one regrettable 5 minute sketch in 66 years of Robert Muir's life. I feel so much more anger at his father. A person who should be a source of love, comfort, learning, nurturing and inspiration to a child was nothing but a cancerous, destructive influence on his own blood and sowed the seeds of a life unfulfilled and short of love and support.

I also think the St Kilda footy club and VFL/AFL head office have shown no interest in the long term welfare of one of their own and come out of this extremely poorly. Frankly the apologies that have started coming today are pithy, shallow and meaningless - the damage has been well and truly done, and for many years without the slightest hint of interest in him and his story.

Mofra
24-08-2020, 10:04 AM
That's one of the best past-player articles I've ever read.
Finger crossed Muir now gets some of the support he's so richly owed.

comrade
24-08-2020, 10:10 AM
That's one of the best past-player articles I've ever read.
Finger crossed Muir now gets some of the support he's so richly owed.

It really is an excellent and compassionate piece of writing. And I'm not sure whether it was deliberately put together now, but the timing is right for this sort of expose. If it was written 5 years ago, I doubt it would have made the same impact as it is now.

bornadog
24-08-2020, 10:13 AM
A very sad, harrowing read. I don't think anybody in the football industry comes out of this well.

Whilst I understand the anger and commentary towards the low hanging fruit of The Footy Show, it is one regrettable 5 minute sketch in 66 years of Robert Muir's life. I feel so much more anger at his father. A person who should be a source of love, comfort, learning, nurturing and inspiration to a child was nothing but a cancerous, destructive influence on his own blood and sowed the seeds of a life unfulfilled and short of love and support.

I also think the St Kilda footy club and VFL/AFL head office have shown no interest in the long term welfare of one of their own and come out of this extremely poorly. Frankly the apologies that have started coming today are pithy, shallow and meaningless - the damage has been well and truly done, and for many years without the slightest hint of interest in him and his story.

It is also hard to put blame on his father. Who knows what his father had to endure over the years to make him like the way he was. No doubt his father had no support like Robert should have had. At least Robert was involved with football and should have had half a chance through the support of a professional club, but unfortunatetly the Saints failed him.

Ozza
24-08-2020, 10:55 AM
It is also hard to put blame on his father. Who knows what his father had to endure over the years to make him like the way he was. No doubt his father had no support like Robert should have had. At least Robert was involved with football and should have had half a chance through the support of a professional club, but unfortunatetly the Saints failed him.

No doubt the Saints failed him badly, but I suspect most or all clubs will have come up short in their treatment of Indigenous players across the same era, so I am reluctant to be putting a boot into St Kilda. On the podcast during the week, Magic McLean told his story of having to stand up and say 'no more' to the racist jokes amongst the bulldogs playing group - and that may be only scratching the surface as far as we know - so I don't think it can be put down to just St Kilda being unprofessional.

EasternWest
24-08-2020, 11:01 AM
Great read. He looks downright majestic with that beard.

bornadog
24-08-2020, 11:04 AM
No doubt the Saints failed him badly, but I suspect most or all clubs will have come up short in their treatment of Indigenous players across the same era, so I am reluctant to be putting a boot into St Kilda. On the podcast during the week, Magic McLean told his story of having to stand up and say 'no more' to the racist jokes amongst the bulldogs playing group - and that may be only scratching the surface as far as we know - so I don't think it can be put down to just St Kilda being unprofessional.

I understand the era was different, but still a disgrace to our sopciety. It is alot more than just the 80s - what has happened since, why does it take a journo to bring this story forward? Sorry, I can't except that there is no blame at StKilda and we can write it off as it happened everywhere.

comrade
24-08-2020, 11:22 AM
Great read. He looks downright majestic with that beard.

It's a great look.

Also, what a blessing his partner has been and well done to the journo for highlighting her importance. I'm sure it's been downright horrible at times, but her love has clearly led Robert to a much better place than where he was.

Ozza
24-08-2020, 11:29 AM
I understand the era was different, but still a disgrace to our sopciety. It is alot more than just the 80s - what has happened since, why does it take a journo to bring this story forward? Sorry, I can't except that there is no blame at StKilda and we can write it off as it happened everywhere.

I think perhaps I didn't communicate this effectively - but I was certainly trying to say that St Kilda were significantly at fault - but I was also saying we shouldn't look down our noses at St Kilda without looking in our own backyard where it is clear that Footscray and all other clubs were likely very poor in this regard.

I wasn't excusing St Kilda - quite the opposite - was saying that the treatment of indigenous players in footy was appalling across the board - and that it wasn't a St Kilda issue exclusively, it was an all clubs issue.

comrade
24-08-2020, 11:37 AM
I think perhaps I didn't communicate this effectively - but I was certainly trying to say that St Kilda were significantly at fault - but I was also saying we shouldn't look down our noses at St Kilda without looking in our own backyard where it is clear that Footscray and all other clubs were likely very poor in this regard.

I wasn't excusing St Kilda - quite the opposite - was saying that the treatment of indigenous players in footy was appalling across the board - and that it wasn't a St Kilda issue exclusively, it was an all clubs issue.

I dare say this might open the flood gates for other indigenous players to come forward and tell their stories.

Ozza
24-08-2020, 11:51 AM
I dare say this might open the flood gates for other indigenous players to come forward and tell their stories.

Absolutely.

bornadog
24-08-2020, 12:13 PM

Agree - No probs, I understood.

I just hope if there are any cases like this at our club, that we would do the right thing.

Axe Man
24-08-2020, 01:09 PM
Agree - No probs, I understood.

I just hope if there are any cases like this at our club, that we would do the right thing.

We all know about McLean and Bamblett in the 80s, was Charlie Stewart in 1961 our only indigenous player prior to that?

Magic spoke about some of the racism he faced in the recent podcast, I wonder how Stewart was treated back then?

Kevin Sheedy actually mentioned Charlie on the Front Bar last week.

BornInDroopSt'54
24-08-2020, 01:20 PM
Go Fund me page for anyone interested:

Brilliant result, they've raised enough for his shoulder op!
That article may be enough to turn Robert's life around. It has started some balancing recognition of matters behind Robert's angry on-field behaviour. He was a brilliant footballer with mental health issues.
Now he can feel that the "Mad Dog" tag was not representative of the silent majority and he has the funds for his overdue surgery to prove it.

bornadog
24-08-2020, 01:20 PM
We all know about McLean and Bamblett in the 80s, was Charlie Stewart in 1961 our only indigenous player prior to that?

Magic spoke about some of the racism he faced in the recent podcast, I wonder how Stewart was treated back then?

Kevin Sheedy actually mentioned Charlie on the Front Bar last week.

100% Charlie would have copped it. I know guys like Georgie Bissett did and his ethnic background is Italian

bornadog
24-08-2020, 01:21 PM

and way more to help him out in his retirement.

Axe Man
24-08-2020, 01:39 PM
100% Charlie would have copped it. I know guys like Georgie Bissett did and his ethnic background is Italian

No doubt he would have back in those days, I just wondered how bad it was.

Libba and Romero also experienced it as mentioned by McLean in the podcast. My mum and her sisters also faced it as kids being from an Italian family.

bornadog
24-08-2020, 01:51 PM
No doubt he would have back in those days, I just wondered how bad it was.

Libba and Romero also experienced it as mentioned by McLean in the podcast. My mum and her sisters also faced it as kids being from an Italian family.

My parents came to Australia in 1951, from Europe so he would have copped it. My father n ever said he did, but yeah, no doubt.

We were brought up in Footscray and then moved to West Sunshine when I was around 6 in the 60's. The area was mainly made up of new migrants, and we looked after each other. No one dared to call us wogs :D

Axe Man
24-08-2020, 02:00 PM
My parents came to Australia in 1951, from Europe so he would have copped it. My father n ever said he did, but yeah, no doubt.

We were brought up in Footscray and then moved to West Sunshine when I was around 6 in the 60's. The area was mainly made up of new migrants, and we looked after each other. No one dared to call us wogs :D

My dad grew up in Sunshine and arrived with my Grandparents in 1950 from Scotland and was in the minority as an anglo kid.

Mum's family was in country Victoria and although there was a significant Italian community they were clearly a minority and subject to deep set prejudices in those days.

Dry Rot
24-08-2020, 02:19 PM
Damaging player, quick with plenty of endurance. Tough as well

Similar to any particular current player(s)?

GVGjr
24-08-2020, 02:48 PM
Similar to any particular current player(s)?

Hard to say, he was an intense type. Let me give it some thought but perhaps a Heath Shaw type but just a lot more intense and tough

bulldogsthru&thru
24-08-2020, 02:52 PM

This. The article mentioned Muir reached out to the saints only a couple of years ago and was ignored. It's taken an article for them to even take notice. Look I think the initial response was a good start but you have to keep asking why it takes things like this for people to not only apologise and admit error but to actually give a f**k. The fact Muir wasn't even on their radar up until now is downright cruel.

hujsh
24-08-2020, 03:35 PM
This. The article mentioned Muir reached out to the saints only a couple of years ago and was ignored. It's taken an article for them to even take notice. Look I think the initial response was a good start but you have to keep asking why it takes things like this for people to not only apologise and admit error but to actually give a f**k. The fact Muir wasn't even on their radar up until now is downright cruel.

Yeah no credit for doing the right thing after it becomes a big deal when you knew about it before and did nothing.

bornadog
24-08-2020, 03:46 PM
Now Woodville Torrens has come out:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EgKKctTUcAE2Vg1?format=jpg&name=large

bulldogsthru&thru
24-08-2020, 06:35 PM
That article may be enough to turn Robert's life around. It has started some balancing recognition of matters behind Robert's angry on-field behaviour. He was a brilliant footballer with mental health issues.
Now he can feel that the "Mad Dog" tag was not representative of the silent majority and he has the funds for his overdue surgery to prove it.
It’s now raised over 100k

Grantysghost
24-08-2020, 06:48 PM
Do people definitely pay up on these things? Ergo what percentage might give for the feels and then not have the cash. I’m cynical so hope that’s a true figure.

bornadog
24-08-2020, 08:16 PM
Do people definitely pay up on these things? Ergo what percentage might give for the feels and then not have the cash. I’m cynical so hope that’s a true figure.

You have to pay as you donate, ie input credit card details, so yes that is a true figure.

The Adelaide Connection
25-08-2020, 01:13 AM

I went to the page and was going to chip in, but they've closed it after it raised $112k. Why?

This from the page:

"We are completely blown away. With your support, we’ve raised over $110,000 in 24 hours to help Robert cover the costs of his shoulder surgery. We honestly thought it might take us a couple of weeks to raise $28,000, we never expected to raise anything like this incredible amount, and so quickly.

Not only have Australians from every state and territory donated, but people across the world have dug deep in support of Robert. We never anticipated this response so thank you to each and every one of you.

As this fundraiser has far exceeded our expectations, we’re now closing the page and are working directly with GoFundMe to ensure all funds reach Robert directly. GoFundMe and I are in direct contact with Robert's family.

Once again, thank you all for your incredible generosity!"

I don't understand this. Why not leave the page open until the donations drop off? People can clearly see the figure raised so far, if they want to continue to donate why stop them?

Remi Moses
25-08-2020, 07:34 AM
Incredibly harrowing story
Robert Muir was exceptionally talented
Quick and skillful like a lot of the wingman at the time
All you ever see was the hit on Dennis Collins ( which I think he missed him) and the short fuse
Racism was rampant through the 80’s in the terraces as well
I never engaged in it but regrettably did nothing when I heard it

soupman
25-08-2020, 11:06 AM
I don't understand this. Why not leave the page open until the donations drop off? People can clearly see the figure raised so far, if they want to continue to donate why stop them?

Pretty much all of them cut themselves off once the goal is surpassed comfortably regardless of whether there is the possibility of more coming.

I think it's more the mentality that by having a "goal" amount it means that is how much they need to be able to do what they need to do, and any more is bonus money. At a certain point collecting more is less about people being nice and more about you being greedy and making yourself an actual ongoing charity instead of someone going through a hard time.

Think of it kind of like asking your mate if they can shout you lunch, so they give you $20. Then they say actually take another $5, and another $5, and another $5 etc. How long to you just indefinitely take their money even though you only need $20, and even if they can afford to just keep giving you money?

Also I think from the website pov it's better to present as a vessel to help out people in need through crowdsourcing rather than making it purely a get rich quick scheme. By keeping a semblence of integrity to it it means more people are willing to donate if they think they are less likely to just be taken advantage of.

Thats how I've always interpreted it at least.

Ozza
25-08-2020, 11:37 AM
You have to pay as you donate, ie input credit card details, so yes that is a true figure.

Correct. And the administration fee is paid separately at the time of donation - so your transaction might be, say, $105 - but only the $100 going towards the actual cause shows up on the donations page.

The Adelaide Connection
25-08-2020, 03:11 PM
Pretty much all of them cut themselves off once the goal is surpassed comfortably regardless of whether there is the possibility of more coming.

I think it's more the mentality that by having a "goal" amount it means that is how much they need to be able to do what they need to do, and any more is bonus money. At a certain point collecting more is less about people being nice and more about you being greedy and making yourself an actual ongoing charity instead of someone going through a hard time.

Think of it kind of like asking your mate if they can shout you lunch, so they give you $20. Then they say actually take another $5, and another $5, and another $5 etc. How long to you just indefinitely take their money even though you only need $20, and even if they can afford to just keep giving you money?

Also I think from the website pov it's better to present as a vessel to help out people in need through crowdsourcing rather than making it purely a get rich quick scheme. By keeping a semblence of integrity to it it means more people are willing to donate if they think they are less likely to just be taken advantage of.

Thats how I've always interpreted it at least.

I think there would be an issue if the figure was misrepresented or hidden, but it is transparent and really can’t be missed. It’s impossible to put a price on the injustices he has suffered, but the article and media around it are still fresh so I think people should be given the opportunity to head along and decide whether they do/don’t want to contribute.

$100k will certainly be life changing to a bloke that couldn’t afford $25 to pay his past players club fee and needs surgery, but I would be thrilled for him if that figure doubled, tripled or whatever.

Quite often the person setting up the page will set a target and keep adjusting it when the initial goal was reached (which I believe was the case here, from an initial target of $28k). The person setting up the page has done a really great thing so I don’t want to be too critical, but I don’t think it is for them to decide when the amount reached is enough. I would hope that the only reason a halt was put on would be at the wishes of Robert himself.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-08-2020, 10:35 PM
From Muir

https://www.afl.com.au/news/490527/-i-ve-been-overwhelmed-healing-begins-for-robert-muir-saints-make-contact?fbclid=IwAR0r7_y0dyprvcPe_NLXGPPCa3TPvQJCdFFfwk8DEHs YJ708NbleN6iEWZw

Topdog
26-08-2020, 10:49 AM
I think there would be an issue if the figure was misrepresented or hidden, but it is transparent and really can’t be missed. It’s impossible to put a price on the injustices he has suffered, but the article and media around it are still fresh so I think people should be given the opportunity to head along and decide whether they do/don’t want to contribute.

$100k will certainly be life changing to a bloke that couldn’t afford $25 to pay his past players club fee and needs surgery, but I would be thrilled for him if that figure doubled, tripled or whatever.

Quite often the person setting up the page will set a target and keep adjusting it when the initial goal was reached (which I believe was the case here, from an initial target of $28k). The person setting up the page has done a really great thing so I don’t want to be too critical, but I don’t think it is for them to decide when the amount reached is enough. I would hope that the only reason a halt was put on would be at the wishes of Robert himself.

I think they money doesnt get to the recipient until the fundraiser is closed.

I can certainly see both sides of the debate but I would think that getting an extra 300% is a good point to shut it down.

comrade
26-08-2020, 10:54 AM
I would hope that the only reason a halt was put on would be at the wishes of Robert himself.

Based on the statement released via the AFL website, it sounds like this may be the case.

GVGjr
26-08-2020, 10:57 AM
I think they money doesnt get to the recipient until the fundraiser is closed.

I can certainly see both sides of the debate but I would think that getting an extra 300% is a good point to shut it down.

They have more than addressed the reason for the fund raiser. Getting the money to Muir quickly is the best option
It's unreal that we have the facility like this to rally the troops and address the issue at hand so quickly

Hopefully this reinforces to Muir the belief that he isn't on his own

Ozza
26-08-2020, 12:19 PM
They have more than addressed the reason for the fund raiser. Getting the money to Muir quickly is the best option
It's unreal that we have the facility like this to rally the troops and address the issue at hand so quickly

Hopefully this reinforces to Muir the belief that he isn't on his own

I'm sure there has been a few 'GoFundMe' campaigns that haven't been like this...however, this is a great example of how great GoFundMe can be and how generous people are.
As another example, a bloke from the year level above me at High School passed away recently, and left behind a pregnant wife and 2 kids - and one of his mates started a Go Fund me to raise $20K to help the family with expenses. It has reached $70K in quick time which is fantastic.

bornadog
27-08-2020, 01:49 PM
Update from Gofundme

TODAYby Mal Padgett, Organizer
Catherine and I have been thrilled to see how keen everyone has been to support Robbie after his story was revealed last Sunday.

In order to sort the administration side of things and get the funds to him sooner rather than later, we decided to close off the GoFundMe page and get the ball rolling. Today we received news the money has been transferred which is wonderful news. What a difference a week makes!

Many people still want to contribute. We contacted the club to work out a way to facilitate this and they said that anyone who would like to do so can contact Robbie at the email address in his press release from yesterday: robert.muir@saints.com.au

What an amazing group of people you all are! We are humbled to have been a part of this outsanding joint effort.

Fortius Quo Fidelius

Raw Toast
03-09-2020, 10:46 AM
For those interested,

A colleague and I wrote about Muir and the systemic racism in the AFL and associated media industry here (https://theconversation.com/the-afl-has-moved-the-grand-final-from-melbourne-for-the-first-time-but-it-has-a-far-more-pressing-issue-145184).

Daughter of the West
03-09-2020, 03:54 PM
For those interested,

A colleague and I wrote about Muir and the systemic racism in the AFL and associated media industry here (https://theconversation.com/the-afl-has-moved-the-grand-final-from-melbourne-for-the-first-time-but-it-has-a-far-more-pressing-issue-145184).

Thank you RT, I appreciate you sharing that.

You've got it in a nutshell with the "gaffe, apologise, repeat" cycle, Eddie Maguire being first case in point.

GVGjr
03-09-2020, 06:06 PM
For those interested,

Thanks for that RT, I must admit Muir was an opposition player I really watched and enjoyed because I liked his pace, kicking abilities, tackling and endurance and I was blissfully unaware of the challenges he was facing as an indigenous player.
He was a really good player to watch especially if I blank out some of the reportable efforts over the years.

I've been moved by his story and I was clearly not attuned to what was really going on when he was playing. We've come a long way but gee there is a lot more to be done.

Really appreciate you adding the link so many thanks.

bornadog
03-09-2020, 06:21 PM
For those interested,

The attacks continue online with various players vilified over the past few weeks.

From The Age: Demand to tackle online racism after attacks on footy stars (https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/demand-to-tackle-online-racism-after-attacks-on-footy-stars-20200902-p55rqd.html)

Rocket Science
03-09-2020, 07:01 PM
Reminder it was barely a month ago that Newman, Don Scott & industry doyen Mike Sheehan sat around pissing on the legacy of Nicky Winmar and the broader significance of his statement and what was that Gillon? Oh, nothing? As you were.

You can only assume they pulled their heads in after some soft diplomacy behind the scenes but a more vocal public stance from the league would help stamp this shit out, even if they have to embarrass a few mates in the process. In fact, all the better.

jeemak
03-09-2020, 08:13 PM
How's Mick Malthouse from the linked article:

“Don’t forget this is the 1970s and I still think that Robbie lived up to that name,” Malthouse said on Saturday.
“I think he was quite happy with that name. I question that he questioned it. It served him well to get recognised. He never said to me ever that he was upset by the nickname because we never discussed it.
“He may well have been, but it wasn’t something to discuss. That was a public name, and I think in the end he tried to live up to that name.”
Malthouse also claimed Collingwood legend Lou Richards was the first to call Muir “Mad Dog”, which contradicts his teammate’s recollections — the 66-year-old asserted St Kilda great Kevin Neale gave him the nickname in the ABC feature.
“When he was nicknamed ‘Mad Dog Muir’, that was basically Lou Richards,” Malthouse said.
“Lou wouldn’t have had any intent to hurt. It was just Mad Dog Muir. I never knew him as that. It was always ‘Robbie’.
“But he picked up that nickname. I think Robbie tried to live by that name. And that’s a shame. It really wrecked his ability to say ‘I was a good footballer’. He was a very good footballer.”

I mean words fail me. I get people being tone deaf, but good grief.

Thanks RT, great writing.

Raw Toast
03-09-2020, 10:38 PM
Reminder it was barely a month ago that Newman, Don Scott & industry doyen Mike Sheehan sat around pissing on the legacy of Nicky Winmar and the broader significance of his statement and what was that Gillon? Oh, nothing? As you were.

You can only assume they pulled their heads in after some soft diplomacy behind the scenes but a more vocal public stance from the league would help stamp this shit out, even if they have to embarrass a few mates in the process. In fact, all the better.

Gillon was indeed way too quiet (as were the other White AFL Execs), but what really lead them to pull their heads in was Winmar and Wayne Ludbey (one of the photographers of that image) initiating legal action against Newman, Sheahan, and Scott.

That's what lead to Newman making a very rare formal written apology, largely acknowledging that what they had said was 'racially discriminatory' (you can see the apology here (https://twitter.com/plalor/status/1279183963139928064?s=20)).

They also paid out $100,000 (plus court costs).

But nevertheless, Newman gets to continue doing his stuff, so does Sheahan, and the AFL fails another test of leadership.

jeemak
03-09-2020, 11:51 PM
Gillon was indeed way too quiet (as were the other White AFL Execs), but what really lead them to pull their heads in was Winmar and Wayne Ludbey (one of the photographers of that image) initiating legal action against Newman, Sheahan, and Scott.

That's what lead to Newman making a very rare formal written apology, largely acknowledging that what they had said was 'racially discriminatory' (you can see the apology here (https://twitter.com/plalor/status/1279183963139928064?s=20)).

They also paid out $100,000 (plus court costs).

But nevertheless, Newman gets to continue doing his stuff, so does Sheahan, and the AFL fails another test of leadership.

The good thing is I think the tide is slowly turning and common public perception is following. It's just that these guys have a disproportionate level of access to the megaphone cabinet, and that's what really needs to change.

If you look at Alan Jones and his radio show, or whatever the creep is doing now, most reasonable people don't agree with him but they're not represented and he is. It's a bit like Bolt etc. The platform they're given just ensures click or read inches over a cost threshold and represents cream to the media platforms on which they're publicised.

It won't be too long until these arsehats are gone, just need to play the long game unfortunately.

comrade
04-09-2020, 10:11 AM

“Don’t forget this is the 1970s and I still think that Robbie lived up to that name,” Malthouse said on Saturday.
“I think he was quite happy with that name. I question that he questioned it. It served him well to get recognised. He never said to me ever that he was upset by the nickname because we never discussed it.
“He may well have been, but it wasn’t something to discuss. That was a public name, and I think in the end he tried to live up to that name.”
Malthouse also claimed Collingwood legend Lou Richards was the first to call Muir “Mad Dog”, which contradicts his teammate’s recollections — the 66-year-old asserted St Kilda great Kevin Neale gave him the nickname in the ABC feature.
“When he was nicknamed ‘Mad Dog Muir’, that was basically Lou Richards,” Malthouse said.
“Lou wouldn’t have had any intent to hurt. It was just Mad Dog Muir. I never knew him as that. It was always ‘Robbie’.
“But he picked up that nickname. I think Robbie tried to live by that name. And that’s a shame. It really wrecked his ability to say ‘I was a good footballer’. He was a very good footballer.”

Geez, way to read the room Mick.

Happy Days
04-09-2020, 12:52 PM
Geez, way to read the room Mick.

Finey on Footyology told a story about how Malthouse was the only guy at St Kilda when Muir was starting out that did anything to help him, or even was friendly to him, and used to give him a lift in from Ballarat to training and to games. I imagine hearing that from Mick would have been particularly hurtful.

merantau
05-09-2020, 08:44 AM

The "Cone of Silence" only works one way for Mick. We can hear what you say but you can't, or refuse to, hear anything anyone else is saying.