PDA

View Full Version : Assistant coaches merry go round

Pages : [1] 2

Dry Rot
25-08-2020, 11:48 PM
Looks like a lot of Assistant coaches are getting shot over many clubs - see https://www.afl.com.au/news/490854/assistant-coach-cull-hawks-suns-make-tough-decisions

Any of these we might be interested in? And is it time to move on some of ours?

azabob
26-08-2020, 09:02 AM
Looks like a lot of Assistant coaches are getting shot over many clubs - see https://www.afl.com.au/news/490854/assistant-coach-cull-hawks-suns-make-tough-decisions

These threads never end well.

But yes I would like to see a new voice or two in the assistant coaching ranks.

GVGjr
26-08-2020, 09:06 AM

There is a deal that near the end of the season clubs have to provide the assistant coaches with notice of their intention to maintain them or let them go so this is why the likes of Freo and GC are cleaning house now. Not an easy time for the assistant coaches

Ozza
26-08-2020, 09:38 AM
Dean Solomon is getting huge wraps from former players and has been described as the most 'senior ready'.

Bulldog Revolution
26-08-2020, 10:04 AM
Dean Solomon is getting huge wraps from former players and has been described as the most 'senior ready'.

And presumably hes lost his job because hes paid more - being the more senior

All of the coaching salaries are likely to to be cut significantly

Axe Man
26-08-2020, 10:27 AM

Seems to be very highly rated and just missed out on the Freo job to Longmuir. He will get a gig somewhere.

Bulldog4life
26-08-2020, 11:21 AM
And presumably hes lost his job because hes paid more - being the more senior

All of the coaching salaries are likely to to be cut significantly

Seeing the AFL is the Gold Coast you can see why.

bornadog
02-09-2020, 12:25 PM
Leon Cameron has signed a further two years.

Vred
03-09-2020, 02:57 AM
Leon Cameron has signed a further two years.

They really want to put that Ferrari into the wall don't they?

bornadog
26-09-2020, 12:05 PM
Is he worth talking to:

Leppitsch to depart at season's end (https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/818872/)

azabob
26-09-2020, 01:12 PM
Is he worth talking to:

Leppitsch to depart at season's end (https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/818872/)

For sure. But kind of sounds like he’s had enough.

GVGjr
26-09-2020, 01:13 PM
I think Adelaide are having some discussions with Mark Williams. He would be a great support for Matthew Nicks

Axe Man
01-10-2020, 12:47 PM
Jade Rawlings cut from the senior assistant role at North 12 months into a 3 year deal - what is going on at Arden Street?

comrade
01-10-2020, 12:51 PM
Jade Rawlings cut from the senior assistant role at North 12 months into a 3 year deal - what is going on at Arden Street?

By his own brother, no less.

Twodogs
01-10-2020, 01:06 PM
I think Adelaide are having some discussions with Mark Williams. He would be a great support for Matthew Nicks

I think that Sedat said the Crows were considering John Worsfold too.

Bulldog4life
01-10-2020, 04:12 PM
I think that Sedat said the Crows were considering John Worsfold too.

Worsfold the new Neil Craig.

SquirrelGrip
01-10-2020, 04:14 PM
Freo would be ahead in the race for Woosher, particularly with his family still in Perth.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/482579/woosha-the-docker-there-s-clearly-an-attraction-says-freo-ceo

ledge
01-10-2020, 05:56 PM
Freo would be ahead in the race for Woosher, particularly with his family still in Perth.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/482579/woosha-the-docker-there-s-clearly-an-attraction-says-freo-ceo

Woosher couldn’t get out of bomberland quick enough.
Didn’t give a hoot from round 1 and had no drive to either.
I think he saw he couldn’t change things thus with his statement about Essendon people need to understand it’s an equal playing field now, if that wasn’t the biggest slap to an arrogant club what was ?

Bulldog Joe
01-10-2020, 07:46 PM

Wouldn't that put them in the danger seat.

Avoiding Woosher would seem better than adding him if his recent performance is the guide.

Although he is certainly experienced and could explain the learnings from every loss.

Twodogs
01-10-2020, 07:58 PM
Woosher couldn’t get out of bomberland quick enough.
Didn’t give a hoot from round 1 and had no drive to either.
I think he saw he couldn’t change things thus with his statement about Essendon people need to understand it’s an equal playing field now, if that wasn’t the biggest slap to an arrogant club what was ?

It was certainly quite a kick up their arse as he packed his things and made for the exit.

EasternWest
01-10-2020, 08:38 PM
By his own brother, no less.

https://i.postimg.cc/FzF0vW7H/scar.gif (https://postimages.org/)

Axe Man
02-10-2020, 11:13 AM
ASSISTANT COACHES IN DEMAND
Collingwood assistant coach Matthew Boyd and Hawthorn lieutenant Adem Yze are in demand.

Suitors have emerged for both Boyd and Yze as clubs make significant changes to their coaching panels.

North Melbourne this week made the shock call to dump a disappointed Jade Rawlings with two year left on his contract.

His brother, Brady, was part of that call as North’s head of football.

Fremantle has had an interest in Boyd due to his close links to former assistant Justin Longmuir, while Essendon has been linked to Yze.

azabob
02-10-2020, 11:18 AM
How unassuming is Matthew Boyd?

Goes about it with a minimum of fuss.

I'm not one for getting "bulldog" people back to the club for the sake of it, but I'm certain he would be a positive addition to our coaching ranks.

GVGjr
02-10-2020, 12:40 PM

I'm not one for getting "bulldog" people back to the club for the sake of it, but I'm certain he would be a positive addition to our coaching ranks.

I'd love to get him back to the club. He's not the most friendly person I have met but I hold him in the highest regard as a strong assistant coach candidate

Unfortunately I don't think we have the room for him

Mofra
02-10-2020, 12:43 PM

He is the no 1 assistant coach I'd look to.

He'd be the Monty style hard-arse who can deliver a whack when need be, but still demand total respect from the players. He's got Roughy playing very good football, Moore playing career best football (and he's now the AA CHB), Quaynor developing well, etc.

He won't win friends with a warm and fuzzy demena, but that wouldn't be his role anyway.

Happy Days
02-10-2020, 12:49 PM

He'd be the Monty style hard-arse who can deliver a whack when need be, but still demand total respect from the players. He's got Roughy playing very good football, Moore playing career best football (and he's now the AA CHB), Quaynor developing well, etc.

He won't win friends with a warm and fuzzy demena, but that wouldn't be his role anyway.

It could potentially be a little weird coaching players that he played with, particularly in such a senior role.

comrade
02-10-2020, 01:03 PM
It could potentially be a little weird coaching players that he played with, particularly in such a senior role.

I think if there's anyone out there capable of doing that, it's Boydy. Just a hard-nosed operator who does what it takes.

I'd love him back at the club. I wonder what his relationship is like with Bevo?

Axe Man
02-10-2020, 01:33 PM

I would imagine it would be fairly common across the league. Montgomery returned as an a assistant only a few years after he retired, for example.

kruder
02-10-2020, 01:42 PM

Boydy will be our senior coach at some point. I’m happy for him to get experience outside the club at this stage but yeah agree need to get him back at some point.

azabob
02-10-2020, 02:01 PM
I think if there's anyone out there capable of doing that, it's Boydy. Just a hard-nosed operator who does what it takes.

I'd love him back at the club. I wonder what his relationship is like with Bevo?

I get the feeling it is frosty. But can be warmed up.

Boyd's final season he was in and out of the team and knowing Boyd like we know Boyd he would've wanted to play all 22 games.

Mofra
02-10-2020, 02:12 PM
Didn't Bucks play with over half of the playing group when he took over?
Voss probably had quite a few ex-teammates as well.

AFL is a bit of a boys club anyway, there aren't too many strangers in the industry - especially someone who played almost 300 games and then spends years as an assistant coach elsewhere.

Happy Days
02-10-2020, 02:46 PM
Didn't Bucks play with over half of the playing group when he took over?
Voss probably had quite a few ex-teammates as well.

AFL is a bit of a boys club anyway, there aren't too many strangers in the industry - especially someone who played almost 300 games and then spends years as an assistant coach elsewhere.

Voss was actually the exact person I was thinking of when I brought it up.

ledge
02-10-2020, 06:20 PM
Not so much assistant coaches but I heard Scott Clayton is going to North.
Past his time I would have thought.

Axe Man
02-10-2020, 06:35 PM
Not so much assistant coaches but I heard Scott Clayton is going to North.
Past his time I would have thought.

Scott Clayton has been at North since the start of the year.

ledge
02-10-2020, 06:46 PM

Oh there ya go. Maybe I misheard and they meant his first draft ?
He will be extremely busy !

GVGjr
02-10-2020, 07:53 PM

Does anyone know if he is even in the recruiting space? I think he was in charge of player personnel
Glenn Luff is the list manager and Mark Finnigan was the recruiting manager so I'm not sure the role he plays

With all the cuts has he survived?

Twodogs
02-10-2020, 08:06 PM
Does anyone know if he is even in the recruiting space? I think he was in charge of player personnel
Glenn Luff is the list manager and Mark Finnigan was the recruiting manager so I'm not sure the role he plays

He might be hiding in the same room as Tom Campbell.

ledge
02-10-2020, 10:14 PM

Player personnel would that be a person who decides who gets traded / delisted ?

jazzadogs
02-10-2020, 10:28 PM

We didn't have any issues getting Gia or Dale Morris into coaching roles straight after retirement. I wonder if Boyd and Bevo are too stubborn to work together effectively.

bornadog
05-10-2020, 12:30 PM
After a cleanout of assistants at North, they have appointed Blakey.

Bulldog Revolution
05-10-2020, 01:05 PM
After a cleanout of assistants at North, they have appointed Blakey.

Great player and long term member of the Swans set up - gets him away from coaching his son - looks a positive move to me.

I was impressed with lots of the Swans kids this season and have huge respect for what they do - Id suspect Blakey was a huge part of it behind the scnes

Bulldog4life
07-10-2020, 12:38 PM
I'd love to get him back to the club. He's not the most friendly person I have met but I hold him in the highest regard as a strong assistant coach candidate

Unfortunately I don't think we have the room for him

Funny you say that G. I had a good 20 min talk with him at an East West day. Came across as very affable.

Bullies
07-10-2020, 09:01 PM
Great player and long term member of the Swans set up - gets him away from coaching his son - looks a positive move to me.

I was impressed with lots of the Swans kids this season and have huge respect for what they do - Id suspect Blakey was a huge part of it behind the scnes The mail is Blakey will be coaching them next year.

bornadog
08-10-2020, 12:13 AM
The mail is Blakey will be coaching them next year.

A complete cleanout

Bulldog Revolution
08-10-2020, 09:51 AM
The mail is Blakey will be coaching them next year.

Wouldnt surprise me if he was a very good coach - hes done a fair old apprenticeship in a place that knows what good footy looks like

comrade
08-10-2020, 09:56 AM
Wouldnt surprise me if he was a very good coach - hes done a fair old apprenticeship in a place that knows what good footy looks like

That would be some Machiavallien manoeuvering by Brady Rawlings, to bring Blakey in and then knife Shaw. On top of getting rid of his own brother mid contract, and cutting a quarter of the list in one fell swoop.

Bulldog Revolution
08-10-2020, 10:38 AM
That would be some Machiavallien manoeuvering by Brady Rawlings, to bring Blakey in and then knife Shaw. On top of getting rid of his own brother mid contract, and cutting a quarter of the list in one fell swoop.

One of the all time great power plays!!

comrade
08-10-2020, 10:44 AM
One of the all time great power plays!!

Don't mind it to be honest. After years/decades of middling results, if there is one club that needed a massive shake up it's North.

Happy Days
08-10-2020, 10:49 AM
Don't mind it to be honest. After years/decades of middling results, if there is one club that needed a massive shake up it's North.

There's some rumour going around that Shaw might be leaving for health reasons rather than by a club decision.

comrade
08-10-2020, 11:00 AM
There's some rumour going around that Shaw might be leaving for health reasons rather than by a club decision.

Yeah, he's been bitten by a snake. A snake named Brady Rawlings :D

bornadog
21-10-2020, 02:11 PM
Good on you Matty

Welcome to Freo, Matthew Boyd!
He's on board as our new assistant coach (defence)

MrMahatma
21-10-2020, 02:38 PM
Good on you Matty

Good get by Freo. He’s doing a good thing being part of a few different systems. Reckon he’s building a solid experience base.

comrade
21-10-2020, 02:40 PM
Come home, Boydy!

azabob
21-10-2020, 07:34 PM
Come home, Boydy!

He went too far West

G-Mo77
21-10-2020, 08:07 PM
Good on you Matty

Bummer. There goes our chance of a feel good story and good addition to our assistant's.

kruder
21-10-2020, 08:43 PM
Liking Boyd's approach, he knows what Bevo and the doggies are about better to get outside experience and JL looks to be a nice coach in the making.

bornadog
22-10-2020, 12:07 AM
Liking Boyd's approach, he knows what Bevo and the doggies are about better to get outside experience and JL looks to be a nice coach in the making.

He can come home after that. At least he will get insight from several senior coaches as well as learn about the culture of other clubs.

cinder
26-10-2020, 11:49 AM
On Facebook they are saying Gia to Essendon, anyone heard that?

comrade
26-10-2020, 11:52 AM
On Facebook they are saying Gia to Essendon, anyone heard that?

The Age has reported he is leaving.

cinder
26-10-2020, 12:12 PM
The Age has reported he is leaving.

That's a shame, guess he feels he needs to broaden his horizons.

bornadog
26-10-2020, 12:18 PM
That's a shame, guess he feels he needs to broaden his horizons.

Although it is sad to see him go, it is also a win win. He gets to see another club and how they operate, and we have to replace him with fresh coach, fresh ideas.

jeemak
26-10-2020, 12:22 PM
I wonder if we get in someone with substantial experience from elsewhere rather than reinstating somebody who unfortunately lost their job last month.

SonofScray
26-10-2020, 12:23 PM
Excellent.

Hopefully we get someone who is going to be a strong voice and find some improvement across the group now.

comrade
26-10-2020, 12:23 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we bring back a coach that was let go due to COVID (Corey or Russell).

Bulldog4life
26-10-2020, 12:24 PM
Although it is sad to see him go, it is also a win win. He gets to see another club and how they operate, and we have to replace him with fresh coach, fresh ideas.

Although going to The Bummers might see Gia influence Dunks to go.

GVGjr
26-10-2020, 12:26 PM
Although going to The Bummers might see Gia influence Dunks to go.

I would suggest that's a long bow to draw

He would be closer to Bont than Gia.

Bulldog4life
26-10-2020, 12:32 PM
I would suggest that's a long bow to draw

He would be closer to Bont than Gia.

Don't know if it is that long G. Not saying it will work. But Gia has a new employer now. We've seen it with Bevo bringing a few Hawks players in where he was an asst coach. Bevo was also close to Clokey from his time at Collingwood.

Grantysghost
26-10-2020, 12:49 PM
Considering he is so popular with the players franked by his recent award, do Essendon see him as a conduit between a disillusioned player group and the coaches?

soupman
26-10-2020, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we bring back a coach that was let go due to COVID (Corey or Russell).

I am expecting this. We really need to take this opportunity to freshen up the group, but i think loyalty will win out based om our track record.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-10-2020, 12:58 PM
I am expecting this. We really need to take this opportunity to freshen up the group, but i think loyalty will win out based om our track record.

Maybe. I'm not convinced that Corey or Russell would automatically accept. A bit awkward perhaps knowing that when push came to shove and staff had to go, they were the one's identified as most expendable.

GVGjr
26-10-2020, 01:20 PM
Don't know if it is that long G. Not saying it will work. But Gia has a new employer now. We've seen it with Bevo bringing a few Hawks players in where he was an asst coach. Bevo was also close to Clokey from his time at Collingwood.

Until this year Gia has been the VFL coach and Dunks doesn't play in the VFL. The more likely scenario to me is that they might not be as close as some might think.

azabob
26-10-2020, 01:23 PM
Maybe. I'm not convinced that Corey or Russell would automatically accept. A bit awkward perhaps knowing that when push came to shove and staff had to go, they were the one's identified as most expendable.

I reckon Russell would see coaching the VFL team a great opportunity.

1eyedog
26-10-2020, 01:24 PM

There's a hierarchy in everything. I think they'd be pretty understanding of it and appreciative of an offer to come back.

Happy Days
26-10-2020, 01:38 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/831562

Like clockwork.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-10-2020, 01:43 PM
No idea how good Russell is or isn't, but it's disappointing we didn't even survey the rest of the field.

We really need some fresh ideas and voices.

comrade
26-10-2020, 01:45 PM
No idea how good Russell is or isn't, but it's disappointing we didn't even survey the rest of the field.

With all the coaching movements across the league, I'm sure we did our due dilligence and looked at plenty of different coaches to ensure we chose the best option...

DOG GOD
26-10-2020, 01:53 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/831562

Like clockwork.

Was always gonna be $1.03 on Sportsbet lol

GVGjr
26-10-2020, 02:20 PM

While I would have liked us to have canvassed some other options the club clearly knew Gia was talking to Essendon and had their contingencies in place. Russell has to implement Bevo's game plan and develop the youngsters and is well placed to do so

When was the last time a former captain of Footscray ended up coaching them?

Where is Twodogs when you need him? :)

bornadog
26-10-2020, 03:09 PM
While I would have liked us to have canvassed some other options the club clearly knew Gia was talking to Essendon and had their contingencies in place. Russell has to implement Bevo's game plan and develop the youngsters and is well placed to do so

Russell is like having a new coach anyhow. Previously he worked in player development and never got to implement some of his ideas. Of course he would have to follow Bevo's coaching, but pretty sure when he is coaching his own team, he will have ideas that he can bounce off Bevo.

As far as other roles, I am doubting we will make any other changes, but would be prudent to at least bring in one new assistant with some new ideas.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-10-2020, 04:56 PM
I reckon Russell would see coaching the VFL team a great opportunity.

He clearly did! :)

soupman
26-10-2020, 05:06 PM
Russell is like having a new coach anyhow.

Nah not really. Sure he may have a few ideas that may get some more attention, but i doubt he has a big say in changes to our senior side.

This was a huge opportunity to do what we have needed to do for years, get fresh voices with experience elsewhere into the club, instead we appear to have made no effort to change up the status quo, even though it's seen us make minimal progress for 4 seasons now.

hujsh
26-10-2020, 05:36 PM
Nah not really. Sure he may have a few ideas that may get some more attention, but i doubt he has a big say in changes to our senior side.

This was a huge opportunity to do what we have needed to do for years, get fresh voices with experience elsewhere into the club, instead we appear to have made no effort to change up the status quo, even though it's seen us make minimal progress for 4 seasons now.

He would also largely have ideas from his time at Footscray/WBD. Not exactly bringing a perspective from outside the club

bornadog
26-10-2020, 05:45 PM
He would also largely have ideas from his time at Footscray/WBD. Not exactly bringing a perspective from outside the club

Still a big change from Development coach to coaching your own team.

jeemak
26-10-2020, 05:59 PM
Well maybe he's highly rated and we thought he was the best...….but I wouldn't think that would have been on the back of any real testing of the market or trying to pry someone loose.

I guess all we can hope for is a couple of others to get poached in order to force our hand because we need a shake-up. Whilst I understand the sentiment in making sure as many people we did have employed get re-employed if possible, we've still got to improve and get better results.

soupman
26-10-2020, 06:11 PM
Well maybe he's highly rated and we thought he was the best...….but I wouldn't think that would have been on the back of any real testing of the market or trying to pry someone loose.

I guess all we can hope for is a couple of others to get poached in order to force our hand because we need a shake-up. Whilst I understand the sentiment in making sure as many people we did have employed get re-employed if possible, we've still got to improve and get better results.

Like our list management at times it has more a vibe of doing everything we can to be a nice guy and employer instead of doing everything we can to win.

ledge
26-10-2020, 06:38 PM
He was rated extremely highly at the club from the moment he got to us.
I think we are under rating him on here.
His record tells you he is a winner and obviously knows a lot about the game , he also has a head start as he knows how we operate, game plans and players
I think it’s a great appointment.

ledge
26-10-2020, 06:45 PM
Gia leaving I think it was needed , not a fan of a player / coach only ever being at one club.
He personally will be better off seeing how other clubs work, go away learn the trade with different clubs and it will open his options.
Let’s face it we know he wants a senior role and we aren’t releasing Bevo anytime soon.
Bombers or North would be the best options niether have got a solid senior coach, chance to show them his wares and maybe get a gig if it arises.

WBFC4FFC
27-10-2020, 02:18 PM
His record tells you he is a winner and obviously knows a lot about the game , he also has a head start as he knows how we operate, game plans and players

Bevo is consistent too in showing loyalty if it has been earned.

Twodogs
27-10-2020, 08:26 PM

In terms of captains going on to coach the club believe it or not it was EJ! In terms of players apart from Bevo it was Terry Walace and before him it was Terry Wheeler and before him Bluey Hampshire.

Twodogs
27-10-2020, 08:32 PM
In terms of captains going on to coach the club believe it or not it was EJ! In terms of players apart from Bevo it was Terry Walace and before him it was Terry Wheeler and before him Bluey Hampshire.

Actually I'm wrong. Technically both Sutton and Whitten were captain coaches who didn't captain the club before they were appointed as captain coach. As far as I can make out the last man who captained the club and then went on to coach us was Alan Hopkins! Hopkins captained us in 1927/8 but another bloke (Paddy Scanlan) confusingly was playing coach but not captain. Hopkins then captain coaches us in 1930. So 90 years ago. I think that I have that right after much research and change of minds!

Interestingly it's now against AFL rules to have a captain coach so clubs can't manipulate the salary cap by "appointing" a player as the nominal coach and paying him outside of the cap.

FrediKanoute
27-10-2020, 09:35 PM

I agree. No point bringing in someone new who doesn't get the Bulldogs style and get them to coach your seconds. You want the alignment as close as possible.

As regards changing up the other assistants, that is a more reasonable. Keeping a management team the same means you have the same voices, the same complacency, the same ideas. I would like to see one maybe 2 new assistants.

AshMac
30-10-2020, 01:33 PM

Gawd - did you do that top of the dome or 45 mins on google?

Rocket Science
30-10-2020, 04:17 PM
So Freo have inked Joel Corey ...

He's one I think we'll miss.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-10-2020, 04:26 PM
So Freo have inked Joel Corey ...

He's one I think we'll miss.

He was one we stood down earlier in the year didn't we?

Rocket Science
30-10-2020, 05:10 PM

He was indeed.

Wonder if we had a sniff Gia was going to defect at the time ...

Corey's got a bit to work with over there with that budding midfield.

WBFC4FFC
30-10-2020, 05:18 PM

Interesting that we (me included) seem to think we need to change a couple of the Assistants, yet heading into 2021 they have either been re-hired, poached or found a gig at another club. All this in an environment where there are less positions going around.

Happy Days
31-10-2020, 12:36 PM
Assistant coaching is pretty much all self-fulfilling, but of all the guys we had, based on what I heard from the players and the performance of his department, I thought Corey was the best of our crew.

Another shrewd move from Freo in what is becoming an annoying trend.

SquirrelGrip
31-10-2020, 01:09 PM
Assistant coaching is pretty much all self-fulfilling, but of all the guys we had, based on what I heard from the players and the performance of his department, I thought Corey was the best of our crew.

Another shrewd move from Freo in what is becoming an annoying trend.

Simon Garlick is their CEO after all.

bornadog
09-11-2020, 05:15 PM
Lisa Alexander applies for North coaching job (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/i-can-do-it-lisa-alexander-applies-for-north-coaching-job-20201109-p56cty.html)

Should clubs look at her in some sort of coaching role?

mjp
09-11-2020, 06:13 PM
Lisa Alexander applies for North coaching job (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/i-can-do-it-lisa-alexander-applies-for-north-coaching-job-20201109-p56cty.html)

Should clubs look at her in some sort of coaching role?

We have a state league netball coach working with our 15's talent squad.

I understand Alexander has international experience but to suggest she is ready to jump from coaching netball (small court, zone based game played by female athletes) to the highest level of Australian Football in one jump is a stretch. Line coaching with a NAB League side and living through the grind of a season and working with a squad of 40+ male athletes would be a good step in her progression.

Is AFL coaching beyond someone like Alexander? Absolutely not. But she has some intermediate steps to take first...

Bulldog Revolution
10-11-2020, 10:09 AM
We have a state league netball coach working with our 15's talent squad.

I understand Alexander has international experience but to suggest she is ready to jump from coaching netball (small court, zone based game played by female athletes) to the highest level of Australian Football in one jump is a stretch. Line coaching with a NAB League side and living through the grind of a season and working with a squad of 40+ male athletes would be a good step in her progression.

Is AFL coaching beyond someone like Alexander? Absolutely not. But she has some intermediate steps to take first...

Was she serious or using the profile raising opportunity to advertise her services for other upcoming netball jobs?

soupman
10-11-2020, 10:30 AM
Was she serious or using the profile raising opportunity to advertise her services for other upcoming netball jobs?

It is clearly a publicity stunt, probably well intentioned ie. not for her own profile but to promote the discussion of women coaches being overlooked.

bornadog
10-11-2020, 10:56 AM
It is clearly a publicity stunt, probably well intentioned ie. not for her own profile but to promote the discussion of women coaches being overlooked.

She should apply for an AFLW role to start with if she is serious, or an assistants role.

Grantysghost
10-11-2020, 11:04 AM

There is a large tendency to go with men who have played AFL before.
I know some fully accredited coaches who can't get a sniff in the AFL setup, time and time again it's a guy generally who played. I had a chat to Ameet about this once as we both know this person and he was aware that its an issue within the industry.
Guess it's cultural and clubs will have to take a chance to change things up.

bornadog
10-11-2020, 11:10 AM
There is a large tendency to go with men who have played AFL before.
I know some fully accredited coaches who can't get a sniff in the AFL setup, time and time again it's a guy generally who played. I had a chat to Ameet about this once as we both know this person and he was aware that its an issue within the industry.
Guess it's cultural and clubs will have to take a chance to change things up.

At an AFLW function I asked Debbie Lee why we don't have any women as assistants for AFLW, and she said there aren't too many out there with the experience.

soupman
10-11-2020, 11:15 AM
At an AFLW function I asked Debbie Lee why we don't have any women as assistants for AFLW, and she said there aren't too many out there with the experience.

Experience as a coach? I can see why if they don't get hired in the first place.

Like the classic "We are looking for a candidate for an entry level job in our company. Requires two years industry experience".

bornadog
10-11-2020, 11:21 AM
Experience as a coach? I can see why if they don't get hired in the first place.

Like the classic "We are looking for a candidate for an entry level job in our company. Requires two years industry experience".

Yes Experience as a coach.

I thought the same. You need to develop the coaches, and finding some women with the right attributes is a start.

Bulldog4life
10-11-2020, 11:25 AM
Yes Experience as a coach.

I thought the same. You need to develop the coaches, and finding some women with the right attributes is a start.

Just like finding a wife BAD.

Bulldog Joe
10-11-2020, 04:54 PM

It may be a surprise, but everybody with experience only has that experience because someone gave them an opportunity before they had experience.

If you look a bit a further, the best coach in the next 30 years probably has no experience now.

soupman
03-12-2020, 12:20 PM
Jordan Russell gone to Norf.

Which recent ex assistant should we replace him with?

bornadog
03-12-2020, 12:23 PM

He gets appointed as the VFL coach and then leaves? That is pretty bad as far as I am concerned.

Axe Man
03-12-2020, 12:24 PM

What happened there - we cut him, re-hired him and now he's left?

Joel Corey already has a new job, what's Choco Royal up to these days?

Axe Man
03-12-2020, 12:25 PM
He gets appointed as the VFL coach and then leaves? That is pretty bad as far as I am concerned.

From his point of view he probably felt expendable given he was let go, only to get a reprieve when Gia left.

Can't blame him for seeking more security.

Grantysghost
03-12-2020, 12:32 PM

Dean Soloman still available? From what I've heard he's highly regarded.

azabob
03-12-2020, 12:46 PM

Yep. Agree. Almost as bad as Dunkley wanting out.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-12-2020, 12:50 PM
Yep. Agree. Almost as bad as Dunkley wanting out.

Ha you’ve gotta wonder. Bevo preaches loyalty but doesn’t particularly get it going the other way.

Rocco Jones
03-12-2020, 12:54 PM
From his point of view he probably felt expendable given he was let go, only to get a reprieve when Gia left.

Can't blame him for seeking more security.

This is the way I see it.

Loyalty is very relative. As 'loyal' as we were hiring him back, we also did let him too. Security plays a huge part in the loyalty you can afford. Easier to be loyal when you are guaranteed a decent income for a long time.

GVGjr
03-12-2020, 01:01 PM
If the offer had better security and tenure about it I think that is the market we play in.
Gia goes to Essendon but interviews for the North job without being criticised

I wonder who we will look at?

hujsh
03-12-2020, 01:07 PM
If the offer had better security and tenure about it I think that is the market we play in.

Bevo left a job with St Kilda immediately after joining when he get the job with us

bornadog
03-12-2020, 03:40 PM

Bevo left a job with St Kilda immediately after joining when he get the job with us

I think a senior coaching role is different to an assistant role

This is the way I see it.

Loyalty is very relative. As 'loyal' as we were hiring him back, we also did let him too. Security plays a huge part in the loyalty you can afford. Easier to be loyal when you are guaranteed a decent income for a long time.

He had the VFL coaching role, a chance to coach his own team?

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
03-12-2020, 04:32 PM
Dale Morris come on down

hujsh
03-12-2020, 04:44 PM
I think a senior coaching role is different to an assistant role

Pretty sure Bevo wasn't just an assistant at St. Kilda. In fact I double checked and he was the Director of Coaching.

bornadog
03-12-2020, 05:06 PM
Pretty sure Bevo wasn't just an assistant at St. Kilda. In fact I double checked and he was the Director of Coaching.

In AFL terms, a senior coach is the pinnacle of coaching. Director of Coaching is more like an Admin role.

ledge
04-12-2020, 08:36 AM
Do we know what job , tenure and money Jordan was offered?
Do we know what his goals and aims are in life , what he enjoys doing most
, what suits his lifestyle better ?
It obviously is a better suit for him than what we offered.
He is a great person and great at his jobs I wish him well and it’s another step in his career.
Good luck to him and he will always be welcome back I would say.
I think it’s an unwritten rule or in most contracts assistant coaches can leave if the offer is better
It’s not like being a player.
Good on him for being recognised by other clubs.

I have no doubt our new VFL coach will be the right fit for us, I’m tempted to think it will
be someone within the club who knows how the seniors set up.
Retired player maybe.
Would Bob be a good choice for it? He and Luke are a kind of a match in they both think outside the square, deep thinkers and are respected , I just don’t know Bobs capabilities or drive in coaching a group, we know he can captain.

Bulldog4life
04-12-2020, 09:32 AM

Bevo had committed to St Kilda as director of coaching before taking our coaching job. Don't blame Russell if he has a better offer.

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-12-2020, 03:28 PM
Dale Morris come on down

Agree. The MC is in need of an overhaul and who better than Morris a legend of our Club who understands the culture with a strong competitive spirit

Rocco Jones
05-12-2020, 04:39 PM
Just as a counter to those wanting us to freshen up our assistant coaching panel (I am probably one of them, so not having a go), our assistants seem to be rated:
- Gia poached by Essendon and seems in running for a senior position
- Russell poached by North
- Joel Corey off to Freo as development coach

Bevo seems only one way, all in or nothing. Can get why he wants assistants who are a particular way (his, I guess). I don't mind it, I am up for any program, as long as it is successful.

Bevo all up:
2015- huge positive turning Blackotber to finals
2016- well, you know
2017- very disappointing
2018- disappointing with some silver lining
2019- finals
2020- finals

I am in the camp that feels Bevo needs to be questioned/constructive criticism, but he is going alright all up. Big one next year.

Bulldog Joe
05-12-2020, 07:04 PM
Just as a counter to those wanting us to freshen up our assistant coaching panel (I am probably one of them, so not having a go), our assistants seem to be rated:
- Gia poached by Essendon and seems in running for a senior position
- Russell poached by North
- Joel Corey off to Freo as development coach

Bevo seems only one way, all in or nothing. Can get why he wants assistants who are a particular way (his, I guess). I don't mind it, I am up for any program, as long as it is successful.

Bevo all up:
2015- huge positive turning Blackotber to finals
2016- well, you know
2017- very disappointing
2018- disappointing with some silver lining
2019- finals
2020- finals

I am in the camp that feels Bevo needs to be questioned/constructive criticism, but he is going alright all up. Big one next year.

I certainly agree it is a big one next year.

I am at least one foot into the disillusioned camp.

2015/16 were fantastic as he utilised what he inherited from BMac with an improved gamestyle.

Unfortunately we did not go on with it and the last 2 years of finals have been really disjointed with atrocious starts as he seems to want to reinvent something in the game, before settling on something that merits a few wins.

I might be delusional, but I believe our list should be at the pointy end and any shortcomings have Bevo's fingerprints all over them.

jeemak
05-12-2020, 10:37 PM
I certainly agree it is a big one next year.

I am at least one foot into the disillusioned camp.

2015/16 were fantastic as he utilised what he inherited from BMac with an improved gamestyle.

Unfortunately we did not go on with it and the last 2 years of finals have been really disjointed with atrocious starts as he seems to want to reinvent something in the game, before settling on something that merits a few wins.

I might be delusional, but I believe our list should be at the pointy end and any shortcomings have Bevo's fingerprints all over them.

Honest question, do you think we've been rebuilding the last few years?

1eyedog
05-12-2020, 11:39 PM
When more than half of your players did not play in a GF 3 years ago (2019) as an example, then yes we are in a mini-rebuild. Why we are are in a rebuild 3/4 years after winning a GF with such a young list is anyone's guess.

GVGjr
06-12-2020, 12:14 AM

Our player retention and reluctance to move players on sooner would indicate we aren't rebuilding and have a fair confidence in the list

jeemak
06-12-2020, 12:52 AM
Our player retention and reluctance to move players on sooner would indicate we aren't rebuilding and have a fair confidence in the list

I wasn't asking you! :)

Though given your uninvited (as if you own the joint) response, due to circumstances of our own doing or otherwise had the list not changed over enough these past couple of years since the premiership to suggest the club is in a big transition phase anyway?

Call it a rebuild, call it a forced transition......it doesn't really matter. We can argue about players on the fringe being held for too long, but that's relatively inconsequential when so many premiership players and reasonable support players have gone.

The club having lost these players decided to bring in new players to fill the gaps year on year. I reckon with the limited talent pool that if we dropped more of the fringe players in addition to them it would have just meant we'd find ourselves with more unknowns on our list anyway.

jeemak
06-12-2020, 12:55 AM
When more than half of your players did not play in a GF 3 years ago (2019) as an example, then yes we are in a mini-rebuild. Why we are are in a rebuild 3/4 years after winning a GF with such a young list is anyone's guess.

You're kind of answering that question in the first half of your post though, aren't you?

GVGjr
06-12-2020, 01:03 AM
I wasn't asking you! :)

Though given your uninvited (as if you own the joint) response, due to circumstances of our own doing or otherwise had the list not changed over enough these past couple of years since the premiership to suggest the club is in a big transition phase anyway?

Call it a rebuild, call it a forced transition......it doesn't really matter. We can argue about players on the fringe being held for too long, but that's relatively inconsequential when so many premiership players and reasonable support players have gone.

The club having lost these players decided to bring in new players to fill the gaps year on year. I reckon with the limited talent pool that if we dropped more of the fringe players in addition to them it would have just meant we'd find ourselves with more unknowns on our list anyway.

So whats the indication that we have been rebuilding? What type of rebuild is it?

jeemak
06-12-2020, 01:09 AM
So whats the indication that we have been rebuilding? What type of rebuild is it?

Is that a serious question G?

I would say when you turn over a huge part of your list, including premiership players, for all sorts of reasons and then play young players recently acquired and fiddle around with positions of players suggests you're rebuilding.

As far as what type of rebuild it is, I don't know, a moderately successful one in which when it's been happening we've made finals twice - but haven't performed well when we did.

No club is allowed to say they're rebuilding anymore. Remember what happened when we had a "reset"? Then a slight rebuild? It's clear to me what's happening, and whether I agree with why it is happening it is, and I'm OK with the narrative coming out of the club this past year or so suggesting we want to get better quickly - you know - after basically saying we're rebuilding anyway.

GVGjr
06-12-2020, 01:30 AM

I would say when you turn over a huge part of your list, including premiership players, for all sorts of reasons and then play young players recently acquired and fiddle around with positions of players suggests you're rebuilding.

As far as what type of rebuild it is, I don't know, a moderately successful one in which when it's been happening we've made finals twice - but haven't performed well when we did.

No club is allowed to say they're rebuilding anymore. Remember what happened when we had a "reset"? Then a slight rebuild? It's clear to me what's happening, and whether I agree with why it is happening it is, and I'm OK with the narrative coming out of the club this past year or so suggesting we want to get better quickly - you know - after basically saying we're rebuilding anyway.

Serious question for sure
When you see what North have done, it's clear they're in a rebuild mode. When you see Geelong topping up on ready made players and in a way avoiding the draft you can see they're in a contending mode. Port had tried to recruit senior players but found a better result with a push towards youth. Richmond have been hugely successful with a combination of systems based football and a good old smattering of star players. GWS have found that attracting the best young talent doesn't quite work and Collingwood has found that back ending contracts to create space in the salary cap eventually catches up with you. Brisbane seem to have a nice blend of experienced and younger players that is working for them and the Saints added some experience, a new coach who doesn't mind using taggers worked for them

It's not clear to me what we are doing about turning finals appearances into finals wins so if it's a rebuild it's ever so subtle

1eyedog
06-12-2020, 10:12 AM
You're kind of answering that question in the first half of your post though, aren't you?

Yes I guess I am.

bornadog
06-12-2020, 11:48 AM

I agree it has been a rebuild of sorts because we lost so much experience after the premiership and we were left with young players. Our issue was the middle aged players, ie the 25 to 29 were either not good enough, or there just wasn't enough of them. With Morris, Murphy, Moyd, Picken all gone and delistings and retirements of 10 premiership players - what else could we do?

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-12-2020, 12:41 PM
I agree it has been a rebuild of sorts because we lost so much experience after the premiership and we were left with young players. Our issue was the middle aged players, ie the 25 to 29 were either not good enough, or there just wasn't enough of them. With Morris, Murphy, Moyd, Picken all gone and delistings and retirements of 10 premiership players - what else could we do?

Sadly history has a habit of repeating itself. We fell away after our ‘54 flag and again after our GF appearance in ‘61. The loss of Morris MBoyd and Picken as you rightly identified has left us short of on field leadership.

Bulldog Joe
06-12-2020, 02:18 PM

I agree that there has been a rebuild, but question the necessity.

We have moved on Roughead, who has shown he can fill an area of need and it appears that the biggest issue was simply how he was rated by those in charge.

We recruited Trengove and the MC quickly fell out of love with him.

We let go or moved on a few others for different reasons and we seemed determined to be as young as we could be for much of the last 4 seasons. We also appear to put a few players on a never to be played list quite quickly, even when they have attributes otherwise lacking on the list.

Any rebuild has been our choice and I firmly believe we have seriously under achieved since 2016.

MrMahatma
06-12-2020, 04:58 PM
I agree that there has been a rebuild, but question the necessity.

We have moved on Roughead, who has shown he can fill an area of need and it appears that the biggest issue was simply how he was rated by those in charge.

We recruited Trengove and the MC quickly fell out of love with him.

We let go or moved on a few others for different reasons and we seemed determined to be as young as we could be for much of the last 4 seasons. We also appear to put a few players on a never to be played list quite quickly, even when they have attributes otherwise lacking on the list.

Any rebuild has been our choice and I firmly believe we have seriously under achieved since 2016.

Well, T Boyd, M Boyd, Murph, Morris, Picken, Libba knee, C Smith... a lot hasn’t really gone our way either.

Roughead call I agree was made too quickly and I wonder if in hindsight it’s one the list management team regret.

bornadog
08-12-2020, 06:09 PM
Interesting

Port Adelaide premiership coach Mark Williams will join Melbourne as head of player development in 2021.

The veteran coach has been coaching Werribee in the VFL.

Axe Man
08-12-2020, 06:13 PM
Interesting

Bit of movement there as Josh Mahoney has left Melbourne to head up Essendon's footy department. Alan Richardson was the director of coaching but they moved him into a dual role with Mahoney. Musical chairs.

GVGjr
08-12-2020, 06:46 PM
Interesting

It's fantastic he is not lost to the AFL.
I'm a bit of a fan of Williams

Bulldog Revolution
09-12-2020, 05:38 PM
Bit of movement there as Josh Mahoney has left Melbourne to head up Essendon's footy department. Alan Richardson was the director of coaching but they moved him into a dual role with Mahoney. Musical chairs.

I was really surprised they ever hired Richardson

bornadog
04-01-2021, 09:40 AM
My passion for football remains': Shaw to join Suns as head of development (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/my-passion-for-football-remains-shaw-to-join-suns-as-head-of-development-20201230-p56qs4.html)

azabob
04-01-2021, 09:48 AM
My passion for football remains': Shaw to join Suns as head of development (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/my-passion-for-football-remains-shaw-to-join-suns-as-head-of-development-20201230-p56qs4.html)

Interesting appointment. I am very surprised.

GVGjr
04-01-2021, 10:35 AM

He's got such a great reputation in that area. Like Aza, I'm a but surprised but only because it's happened so quickly
Another good appointment for the Suns

Axe Man
06-01-2021, 02:30 PM

Dean Solomon and some of the other coaches boned by the suns in Covid cost cutting measures must be shaking their heads that they could go out and sign Shaw. Also nice of the AFL to continue to pick up the tab.

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-01-2021, 12:19 PM

Agree on the loss of too many experienced Premiership players has put a severe dent on our on field leadership.
We still lack class in defence and attack IMO with an over emphasis on extending our midfield division. Martin although a bit late in happening will provide a much stronger ruck division allowing English to spend more time forward were his versatility will be welcomed.

bornadog
09-01-2021, 12:23 PM
Anthony Rocca has joined has North Melbourne's coaching group, and will work closely with the club’s key-position players and rucks in a development coaching role.

bornadog
11-01-2021, 05:02 PM
Former Crow and Swan Kurt Tippett has joined the GC on a part-time basis, working with the club's ruckmen and key forwards

Grantysghost
11-01-2021, 05:35 PM
Former Crow and Swan Kurt Tippett has joined the GC on a part-time basis, working with the club's ruckmen and key forwards

Also helping out on pie night.

https://i.postimg.cc/Hx0qr2xp/Screenshot-20210111-163344-Twitter.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Mofra
11-01-2021, 05:37 PM
Anthony Rocca has joined has North Melbourne's coaching group, and will work closely with the club’s key-position players and rucks in a development coaching role.
I'd put money on North improving their conversion rate this season. Rocca's a good get

bornadog
17-01-2021, 12:27 AM
Collingwood has poached the architect of Hawthorn's golden era - Graham Wright to be new GM of Footy

Axe Man
17-01-2021, 03:47 AM
Collingwood has poached the architect of Hawthorn's golden era - Graham Wright to be new GM of Footy

Was just having a beer with my Collingwood supporter mate earlier when he told me that. Great get for them although I’m sure Steve Kolynuik could still out maneuver him

comrade
17-01-2021, 11:22 AM
The cliff has come for Hawthorn very quickly.

It was only 5 years ago they were the envy of the competition and the gold standard for every other club, now they're looking at an extended period at the bottom of the ladder, have very little quality youth coming through after cashing their chips on mature talent, have an embarrassing off field issue to deal with and have just lost a key operator.

jeemak
17-01-2021, 03:55 PM
The cliff has come for Hawthorn very quickly.

It was only 5 years ago they were the envy of the competition and the gold standard for every other club, now they're looking at an extended period at the bottom of the ladder, have very little quality youth coming through after cashing their chips on mature talent, have an embarrassing off field issue to deal with and have just lost a key operator.

I have a Hawthorn supporting mate or two who genuinely think they were tanking last year. I'm really hoping that sort of hubris permeates their supporters and the club itself, as there's nothing I'd like more than to see them struggle again on and off the field.

bornadog
17-01-2021, 07:09 PM
I have a Hawthorn supporting mate or two who genuinely think they were tanking last year. I'm really hoping that sort of hubris permeates their supporters and the club itself, as there's nothing I'd like more than to see them struggle again on and off the field.

My Hawthorn supporting mate has said he is not renewing at the level he has in the past. Firstly because he paid out alot last year and there was no footy and secondly because he doesn't think they will win many this year. I have always suspected him to be a bandwagoner :D

comrade
17-01-2021, 07:44 PM
My Hawthorn supporting mate has said he is not renewing at the level he has in the past. Firstly because he paid out alot last year and there was no footy and secondly because he doesn't think they will win many this year. I have always suspected him to be a bandwagoner :D

During their dominant reign, their membership numbers were huge. I expect them to crash back to earth over the next few years.

GVGjr
17-01-2021, 07:58 PM
During their dominant reign, their membership numbers were huge. I expect them to crash back to earth over the next few years.

Their supporters are typically very optimistic I guess because they have been so good for and extended period. They're right behind their top up approach and are expecting an 'around the 8' effort this year.
I don't believe the signs are that positive for them

bornadog
13-02-2021, 11:53 AM
Coaching panel shake-up: All the new faces at your club, who's gone (https://www.afl.com.au/news/547505)

All clubs in article including:

The Dogs were one of the few clubs who kept line coaches on stand down when the season resumed last year, with Jordan Russell (midfield) and Joel Corey (stoppages) not returning to the club. Development coach and flag hero Dale Morris, who was a development coach, was also stood down as senior coach Luke Beveridge worked with a streamlined group on the road in the Queensland hub. Morris works mainly in an off-field role in the Dogs' commercial team. Beveridge also lost rising assistant Daniel Giansiracusa to Essendon in the off-season, seeing the Dogs enter the season with a seven-man panel – Beveridge, assistants Steven King, Rohan Smith and Ash Hansen, development manager Jamie Maddocks, development coach Travis Varcoe and VFL coach Stewart Edge. It is down from the nine they had on deck at the beginning of 2020. – Callum Twomey

bornadog
08-06-2021, 01:28 PM
The fallout from the Carlton review begins

Blues assistant Barker resigns, will depart during bye (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blues-assistant-barker-resigns-will-depart-during-bye-20210608-p57z14.html)

DOG GOD
08-06-2021, 04:02 PM
The fallout from the Carlton review begins

Blues assistant Barker resigns, will depart during bye (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blues-assistant-barker-resigns-will-depart-during-bye-20210608-p57z14.html)

This is going to be very interesting to watch this unfold. Surely Teague will be lucky to be coaching next year. I can see them trying to prize a Clarkson type.

Bulldog Revolution
08-06-2021, 04:39 PM
Their supporters are typically very optimistic I guess because they have been so good for and extended period. They're right behind their top up approach and are expecting an 'around the 8' effort this year.
I don't believe the signs are that positive for them

Most of the hawks supporters who are between 40-60 years have lived through golden generations and not appreciated just how lucky they've been - how could they have?

jeemak
08-06-2021, 06:42 PM
This is going to be very interesting to watch this unfold. Surely Teague will be lucky to be coaching next year. I can see them trying to prize a Clarkson type.

He's currently sitting at 17/40 games, but Carlton/ Carlton supporters think they have built a good list and have had quality personnel on the park and the media plays up to this knowing he's an inexperienced coach and an easy target. They truly have them believing they belong in the top eight.

But funnily enough, if you ask any of these media folks who in the eight Carlton should replace you can't get a sensible answer. Possibly Sydney, but Sydney has bolted and that happens. West Coast, Richmond, Melbourne or us? Port, Brisbane or Geelong?

They'll sack their coach, and they won't be good enough to make the eight for a few more years because they don't have the cattle. And they'll just sack another coach.

DOG GOD
08-06-2021, 06:58 PM
He's currently sitting at 17/40 games, but Carlton/ Carlton supporters think they have built a good list and have had quality personnel on the park and the media plays up to this knowing he's an inexperienced coach and an easy target. They truly have them believing they belong in the top eight.

But funnily enough, if you ask any of these media folks who in the eight Carlton should replace you can't get a sensible answer. Possibly Sydney, but Sydney has bolted and that happens. West Coast, Richmond, Melbourne or us? Port, Brisbane or Geelong?

They'll sack their coach, and they won't be good enough to make the eight for a few more years because they don't have the cattle. And they'll just sack another coach.

A big problem with their list are their recent signings of Saad and Williams. Big names on big dollars, but not playing the BIG TEAM GAME. They were talking about these two, along with the likes of Murphy and Docherty, on “On the Couch”, as being selfish players, not wanting to do the team things. For instance, take Saad and Murphy out, and replace with the likes of Nick Hind and Anthony Scott, and they are already a better TEAM.

Topdog
08-06-2021, 07:40 PM
Yep watched that too DG and whilst i still don't like NRoo he made a heck of a lot of sense and some of the vision was pretty damning.

Having said that Teague is coaching differently to the rest of the league currently with his defensive set up and being well out of the 8 he does deserve some scrutiny.

Twodogs
08-06-2021, 08:25 PM
A big problem with their list are their recent signings of Saad and Williams. Big names on big dollars, but not playing the BIG TEAM GAME. They were talking about these two, along with the likes of Murphy and Docherty, on “On the Couch”, as being selfish players, not wanting to do the team things. For instance, take Saad and Murphy out, and replace with the likes of Nick Hind and Anthony Scott, and they are already a better TEAM.

It's like they don't assess team needs when it comes to recruitment but instead they just look for the players who are asking for the most money and go after them. They don't seem to give much thought to what role those players will play or even what type of person they are and how they will fit into the playing list.

Kerry Packer famously said that you only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime but GWS and Essendon have been unloading players on Carlton every trade period for years now. Adrian Dodoro, (ironically) SOS and JMac have each been getting an Alan Bond once a year for ages.

DOG GOD
08-06-2021, 09:32 PM
Yep watched that too DG and whilst i still don't like NRoo he made a heck of a lot of sense and some of the vision was pretty damning.

Having said that Teague is coaching differently to the rest of the league currently with his defensive set up and being well out of the 8 he does deserve some scrutiny.

I agree. NRoo did make a lot of sense. He normally has a good perspective on things and I liked the way he spoke about when Lyon dropped Milne and Dal Santo to make a statement. Marc Murphy crying tears for being dropped leading into his upcoming 300th is typical of the culture there at the moment.

DOG GOD
08-06-2021, 09:33 PM
It's like they don't assess team needs when it comes to recruitment but instead they just look for the players who are asking for the most money and go after them. They don't seem to give much thought to what role those players will play or even what type of person they are and how they will fit into the playing list.

Kerry Packer famously said that you only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime but GWS and Essendon have been unloading players on Carlton every trade period for years now. Adrian Dodoro, (ironically) SOS and JMac have each been getting an Alan Bond once a year for ages.

They got Williams to play midfield…almost 100% midfield, and it was obvious after 4-5 games, he doesn’t have the tank to do it. Make that what you will.

bornadog
09-06-2021, 12:08 AM
They got Williams to play midfield…almost 100% midfield, and it was obvious after 4-5 games, he doesn’t have the tank to do it. Make that what you will.

I can tell you what is wrong with Carlton, their midfield is ordinary and it has been held up by Cripps for years now.

Cripps is having a bad year and the rest is falling apart.

The only other decent mid is Walsh. Williams, well played one ok game as a mid but he really is a HBF. He also looks unfit to me, put on weight ala Bruce last year.

jeemak
09-06-2021, 02:07 AM
I can tell you what is wrong with Carlton, their midfield is ordinary and it has been held up by Cripps for years now.

Cripps is having a bad year and the rest is falling apart.

The only other decent mid is Walsh. Williams, well played one ok game as a mid but he really is a HBF. He also looks unfit to me, put on weight ala Bruce last year.

It's good to see you at your fat shaming best.

Vred
09-06-2021, 03:24 AM
It's good to see you at your fat shaming best.

I'm fat these days, put on weight over Covid, a decent amount thanks to the lockdown. These guys are professional athletes who are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to play sport at the highest level possible, I personally have zero issue with someone calling out a professional athlete for not putting the work in and being physically unfit / fat and not earning the money / doing the job they are paid to do, there is zero wrong with that, or am I missing something here?

jeemak
09-06-2021, 03:44 AM
I'm fat these days, put on weight over Covid, a decent amount thanks to the lockdown. These guys are professional athletes who are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to play sport at the highest level possible, I personally have zero issue with someone calling out a professional athlete for not putting the work in and being physically unfit / fat and not earning the money / doing the job they are paid to do, there is zero wrong with that, or am I missing something here?

Yeah, the thing you're missing is I'm just hanging shit on BAD. It's because (rightly and wrongly) he picked out folks and labelled them fatties over the last couple of years.

I too put on a bit of weight...well a lot of weight last year and I am honestly able to say the best part about being in lockdown now is that I can now start blaming my inflammation on COVID again!

mjp
09-06-2021, 10:04 AM
A big problem with their list are their recent signings of Saad and Williams. Big names on big dollars, but not playing the BIG TEAM GAME. They were talking about these two, along with the likes of Murphy and Docherty, on “On the Couch”, as being selfish players, not wanting to do the team things.

So. If I take this one week name at a time.

Saad.
I never understood this. Everywhere he has been the team has lost but he has been an exciting player. And an exciting player who was apparently pushing back on Essendon last year when they wanted him to play as a defender and not as a release mid/runner.

Williams.
I think Williams is a really nice player and was a big part of what the Giants were doing. He played primarily as a back but was able to leverage his excellent midfield performances in 2019 during the GF run into a contract with midfield numbers. Basically, I don't think having Zac Williams on your list is a BAD thing and I understand why the Blues projected him as a mid given their list. The challenge now is working out how to use him 'best'...

Murphy.
Been a long time servant of the club, club captain. Helping him get to 300 games is surely the responsibility of the current coaching panel - but does anyone think a forward pocket was going to work? Let him play mid, give him a defensive role and get him to 300.

Docherty.
So - when you recruit Saad and Williams and then decide to play them as attacking defenders, where does that leave your existing attacking defenders? Trying to make their way as a wingman? Clearly that isn't what he's best at...

I still think they made only one 'MISTAKE' - Saad. He has never been on a good team in his career and at some point you have to wonder how someone who plays as a defender is thought of as a 'good player' when the teams he has played on have all been terrible?

My suggestion:

1/. Saad ==> VFL.
2/. Williams and Docherty ==> Half-back/defensive 6
3/. Murphy ==> midfield rotation as a defensive tagger until he gets to 300...if he has been able to 'do' that, then he stays in, otherwise he goes to the VFL as well.

bornadog
09-06-2021, 10:18 AM

Totally agree, and yeah Jeemak just having a bit of fun with me.

Yeah, the thing you're missing is I'm just hanging shit on BAD. It's because (rightly and wrongly) he picked out folks and labelled them fatties over the last couple of years.

I too put on a bit of weight...well a lot of weight last year and I am honestly able to say the best part about being in lockdown now is that I can now start blaming my inflammation on COVID again!

You misunderstand. I have never said any of the players were fat, what I did say and have said is overweight. Williams needs to slim down a bit, and maybe he has bulked up too much and lost that bid of pace he had.

Happy Days
09-06-2021, 10:48 AM
Carlton have red pilled themselves with bringing in all this talent, and they now genuinely believe that they’re the most talented side and that by playing an all-offensive game style teams should have to worry about stopping them, totally casting aside the idea that their opposition might also be able to move the ball and score.

I didn’t want to say it at the time for curse-based reasons but Teague’s pre-game comments about wanting to lure us into a shootout should’ve set off alarm bells at Carlton. We were undefeated and in the top two at the time, playing on our home deck, and it appeared at least outwardly that Teague believed the best way to go about beating an objectively better side was to let them score as much as they want, on the belief that his team’s talent would let them score more.

I think he’s let the egos of their playing group go unchecked and now no one will defend anyone. Giving Saad $800k or whatever at the cost of a top 10 draft pick to run as fast as he can one way and as slow as he can the other was always a horrible idea and sums up their mindset and why they’re in the shape they’re in.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-06-2021, 11:04 AM
So apparently Buckley is stepping down as coach after this weeks game.

bornadog
09-06-2021, 11:07 AM
So apparently Buckley is stepping down as coach after this weeks game.

Press conference at 11am

Rob Harvey most likely to replace him at this stage.

comrade
09-06-2021, 11:09 AM
Fingers crossed they get the dead cat bounce this week against Melbourne.

Happy Days
09-06-2021, 11:30 AM
Typical Robert Harvey being gifted something only after the actual choice for it has to step aside.

comrade
09-06-2021, 11:36 AM
I wonder what is next for Bucks? His defensive nous is unquestionable, would he make a good senior assistant?

Axe Man
09-06-2021, 11:38 AM
I wonder what is next for Bucks? His defensive nous is unquestionable, would he make a good senior assistant?

All part of the Malthouse succession plan, next stop Carlton senior coach.

Mofra
09-06-2021, 11:41 AM
I'm not even convinced he's a bad head coach.
Norm Smith himself couldn't help that rabble right now.

I'd welcome him at the Bulldogs with open arms but I dare say he'll have a bunch of media jobs lined up.

I'm still strong on wanting Matty Boyd back. Damn soft cap will stop that from happening for a while.

comrade
09-06-2021, 11:43 AM

I'd welcome him at the Bulldogs with open arms but I dare say he'll have a bunch of media jobs lined up.

I'm still strong on wanting Matty Boyd back. Damn soft cap will stop that from happening for a while.

Yeah, I rate him. His record since taking over the reigns at the Pies isn't great, but the squad post 2012 has been middling at best yet has always given us trouble and on paper they had no right in being a kick away from a flag in 2018.

Would happily have him at the Dogs as Bevo's right hand man but with soft cap restrictions, very unlikely.

bornadog
09-06-2021, 11:59 AM

Watching Boyd with all the Freo players around him was hard.

bulldogtragic
09-06-2021, 12:06 PM
Bevo and Bucks were in the coaching team at Collingwood in 2010. (Premiership Year). They might love or hate each other. But spending a year together would give Bevo insight as to what and who he wants. If they take out the head coach from the soft cap. Who knows. Providing Treloar doesn’t hold a grudge. I would though.

Bulldog Revolution
09-06-2021, 01:05 PM
Watching Boyd with all the Freo players around him was hard.

I was happy to see him at work - and just thought those Freo mids would be benefitting from his experience and dedication

There is always time for him to come back at a later stage

Twodogs
09-06-2021, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I rate him. His record since taking over the reigns at the Pies isn't great, but the squad post 2012 has been middling at best yet has always given us trouble and on paper they had no right in being a kick away from a flag in 2018.

Would happily have him at the Dogs as Bevo's right hand man but with soft cap restrictions, very unlikely.

And what a kick it was! It would be hard for Bucks now that he knows he probably won't coach a team to a flag but it was virtually an impossible shot at goal that cost his team a premiership.

WBFC4FFC
09-06-2021, 05:40 PM
Bevo and Bucks were in the coaching team at Collingwood in 2010. (Premiership Year). They might love or hate each other. But spending a year together would give Bevo insight as to what and who he wants. If they take out the head coach from the soft cap. Who knows. Providing Treloar doesn’t hold a grudge. I would though.

Bevo was there only for a year. His first gig after St.Bede's.

Forgot where I heard it but Bevo was made to move (and ended up at the Hawks) given he was so highly regarded during his first year at the Pies that Bucks felt threatened about the Head Coach Succession plan being upheld.

WBFC4FFC
09-06-2021, 06:55 PM
Carlton have red pilled themselves with bringing in all this talent, and they now genuinely believe that they’re the most talented side and that by playing an all-offensive game style teams should have to worry about stopping them, totally casting aside the idea that their opposition might also be able to move the ball and score.

I didn’t want to say it at the time for curse-based reasons but Teague’s pre-game comments about wanting to lure us into a shootout should’ve set off alarm bells at Carlton. We were undefeated and in the top two at the time, playing on our home deck, and it appeared at least outwardly that Teague believed the best way to go about beating an objectively better side was to let them score as much as they want, on the belief that his team’s talent would let them score more.

I think he’s let the egos of their playing group go unchecked and now no one will defend anyone. Giving Saad $800k or whatever at the cost of a top 10 draft pick to run as fast as he can one way and as slow as he can the other was always a horrible idea and sums up their mindset and why they’re in the shape they’re in.

On the last paragraph, the media has been suggesting since the start of 2021 that the Blues have no wriggle-room in their Salary Cap now.

jeemak
10-06-2021, 01:29 AM
And what a kick it was! It would be hard for Bucks now that he knows he probably won't coach a team to a flag but it was virtually an impossible shot at goal that cost his team a premiership.

It was a good shot at goal, but don't let the Collingwood BS (and BT in the commentary) get in the way by calling it an impossible angle. There was plenty of daylight to hit for a left footer and if people just kicked the footy like Dom Sheed did more shots than not would go through from that sort of spot on the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5KvhryfBJo

As an aside, it was a block and Sheed also played on so it was on the umpires as well.

Topdog
10-06-2021, 08:57 AM
Yeah agree jeemak, a tough shot and even more than normal with the added pressure but far from an impossible angle.

For a left footer Libba from the boundary this week was more difficult

mjp
10-06-2021, 01:27 PM
For a left footer Libba from the boundary this week was more difficult

Sure...but we aren't comparing a game vs Freo in June with the last couple of minutes in a GF are we??

I mean, I'm all for it on a lot of levels but...

Topdog
10-06-2021, 02:34 PM
Sure...but we aren't comparing a game vs Freo in June with the last couple of minutes in a GF are we??

I mean, I'm all for it on a lot of levels but...

No of course not, thats why I called out the pressure. The angle wasnt impossible but nailing it in that situation needs ice in their veins.

I absolutely loved his turn to the Collingwood fans as it went through too

bornadog
23-08-2021, 05:50 PM
COACH CULL: Two assistants, fitness boss exit Saints after finals miss (https://www.afl.com.au/news/670095/coach-cull-two-assistants-fitness-boss-exit-saints-after-finals-miss)

ST KILDA has parted ways with assistant coaches Aaron Hamill and Adam Skrobalak and high-performance boss Matt Hornsby in the wake of its failed 2021 campaign.

The fallout from the Saints' 10th-place finish started on Monday after they fell short of replicating last year's breakout season which included an elimination finals win.

Hamill, who captained St Kilda in 2003 during an 11-year career at Carlton and the Saints, departs after 10 seasons on the club's coaching panel including the last two as backline coach.

He returned to the club ahead of 2012 in a development coaching role before taking charge of the forward line (2014-17), the club's VFL affiliate Sandringham (2018-19) and then the defence.

Skrobalak this year coached the Saints' forward line after sharing midfield responsibilities with Brendon Lade on the run to finals in 2020.

A champion footballer at local level, Skrobalak previously coached county football clubs and in the TAC Cup before joining the Saints in 2015. He worked in ruck coaching and development to start his time with the Saints and coached VFL club Frankston in 2018 while still part-time at AFL level.

Hornsby departs after joining ahead of 2016. He previously worked at Richmond for 13 years from 2001-2013.

bornadog
23-08-2021, 09:53 PM
Brent Stanton gone from Carlton. No decision on Teague

bulldogtragic
31-08-2021, 08:12 PM
Harvey & Sanderson to be moved on at Collingwood. You’d think both get a gig elsewhere as assistants.

GVGjr
31-08-2021, 08:38 PM
Harvey & Sanderson to be moved on at Collingwood. You’d think both get a gig elsewhere as assistants.

I think Sanderson in particular would be a good pick-up by a few clubs

bornadog
01-09-2021, 11:02 AM
Justin Leppitsch to join Mcrae at Collingwood.

MrMahatma
01-09-2021, 11:54 AM

I like Leppa, and reckon he's a good, strong senior assistant. I don't think we have anyone with that kind of personality profile (outside looking in). It'll be interesting how those two end up working together.

When do they announce they're "rebuilding"?

GVGjr
01-09-2021, 08:13 PM

Just heard McRae talk about it and I while I think it will happen he was clear they would start talks with him.

GVGjr
01-09-2021, 08:18 PM
I like Leppa, and reckon he's a good, strong senior assistant. I don't think we have anyone with that kind of personality profile (outside looking in). It'll be interesting how those two end up working together.

When do they announce they're "rebuilding"?

They've pretty much flagged their intentions to rebuild and they want to get some more games into their younger brigade.
He will also look to bring in some more experienced players so they don't run the younger players into the ground.

jazzadogs
01-09-2021, 08:46 PM
I'm a bit nervous about Macrae joining Collingwood. I think he's a good coach and could make them better.

bulldogtragic
01-09-2021, 09:41 PM
I'm a bit nervous about Macrae joining Collingwood. I think he's a good coach and could make them better.

Heart skipped a beat. He is McRae. Our guy with a brother at Collingwood is Macrae… Phew, thought they were poaching Jacko!

bornadog
08-09-2021, 03:22 PM
Shaun Burgoyne chooses to join Port Adelaide in new, wide-ranging role (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/port-adelaide-power/afl-news-2021-shaun-burgoyne-chooses-port-adelaide-for-2022-season-role-details-indigenous-liaison-officer/news-story/568cecd36f6f1c6506c3361ff638d04a)

Good pickup for Port

Jeanette54
08-09-2021, 05:05 PM
Heart skipped a beat. He is McRae. Our guy with a brother at Collingwood is Macrae… Phew, thought they were poaching Jacko!

Yes, its kind of like when you see a headline preceding a story about the latest Bulldog indiscretion. Your heart sinks, until you realise its just another story about a certain neanderthal NRL club.

bornadog
13-09-2021, 06:01 PM
Collingwood have done well.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_JUn6tUUAEOB1Z?format=jpg&name=large

Happy Days
13-09-2021, 06:05 PM
Collingwood have done well.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_JUn6tUUAEOB1Z?format=jpg&name=large

Have they? Those are two of the worst senior coaches maybe ever?

bornadog
13-09-2021, 06:06 PM

You don't like Leppitsch?

comrade
13-09-2021, 06:06 PM
What is Head of Strategy?

Happy Days
13-09-2021, 06:21 PM
You don't like Leppitsch?

I think that he’s become really overrated as a football mind by making himself so available in the media, and that his success at Richmond had less to do with his brilliant structuring of the backline and more to do with them having Dustin Martin.

Brisbane were a total joke when he got frog marched.

EasternWest
13-09-2021, 08:37 PM
What is Head of Strategy?

It's actually called neck of strategy but they had to retitle it because Leppitsch doesn't have one.

mjp
13-09-2021, 11:14 PM

I'm not sure Bolton was that bad.

He at least tried to get games into Fisher, Dow etc in key roles and shunted the likes of Curnow to secondary positions...sure, he sacrificed some wins to do it but wasn't it better for the club. Teague came in, stuck Murphy and Curnow etc back in the mids and they won a couple...so he got appointed. Now where are they?

I think Bolton was doing exactly what he said he would do and got sacked for it. Teague tried to do exactly what he said he would do and got sacked for NOT doing it.

Bulldog Revolution
14-09-2021, 01:28 PM
Yep - history wont judge Bolton too harshly

Carlton just dont have the patience to follow through on a rebuild, and because they've never had a successful rebuild (that hasnt been based off buying in experienced players), they just dont know what it looks like.

As a result they dont know when they are on the right or wrong path (whether they should stay patient or axe the coach).

GVGjr
19-09-2021, 06:00 PM
Being reported that the Suns want to add Steven King to their coaching team

The Age (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/suns-eye-bulldogs-assistant-king-20210919-p58szw.html)

bulldogtragic
19-09-2021, 07:56 PM
Being reported that the Suns want to add Steven King to their coaching team

The Age (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/suns-eye-bulldogs-assistant-king-20210919-p58szw.html)

Whose left for us as a senior assistant? Clarkson? Buckley? Harvey? Sanderson? Teague?

A loss, but a great chance to bring in some new ideas and broad experience. Might be an opportunity to find a player who wants to follow them into our club.

Vred
20-09-2021, 09:14 AM
Whose left for us as a senior assistant? Clarkson? Buckley? Harvey? Sanderson? Teague?

A loss, but a great chance to bring in some new ideas and broad experience. Might be an opportunity to find a player who wants to follow them into our club.

I'd be knocking on Teague's door in a heartbeat.

If this is the spark we need to start turning over our assistant coaches then so be it, I still reckon it's one of our biggest problems.

MrMahatma
20-09-2021, 09:17 AM
I'd be knocking on Teague's door in a heartbeat.

If this is the spark we need to start turning over our assistant coaches then so be it, I still reckon it's one of our biggest problems.

We’re playing in a GF in a few days…

How many “problems” do we have? Isn’t making a GF partly down to coaches?

Vred
20-09-2021, 09:23 AM

Grand final or not I've always been a big advocate of shaking up our assistant coaching panel, some fresh eyes in there would not hurt at all.

GVGjr
20-09-2021, 09:28 AM

You can always do better and in this industry if you are standing still you're going backwards. We have gaps in our skill execution and haven't been able to resolve our set shot for goal challenges as some examples.
Being complacent is going to be a big challenge and much like in 2016 when we were in a strong position and yet struggled for the next couple of seasons and I'd say that is that partly due to the coaches.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2021, 09:40 AM
Looking at Sanderson,

Played at Adelaide, Collingwood & Geelong

Assistant at Port Adelaide
Assistant at Geelong (during premiership years)
Head Coach at Adelaide (39 wins, 30 losses)
Head Coach AFL Academy (would know many if our players from that time)
Assistant Coach at Collingwood (GF in 2018)

A lot of time at numerous clubs, plus the development role with the AFEL academy. I’d have him on the shortlist of King moves on.

Grantysghost
20-09-2021, 10:34 AM
You can always do better and in this industry if you are standing still you're going backwards. We have gaps in our skill execution and haven't been able to resolve our set shot for goal challenges as some examples.
Being complacent is going to be a big challenge and much like in 2016 when we were in a strong position and yet struggled for the next couple of seasons and I'd say that is that partly due to the coaches.

Agree and although I'm loving the current run I'd much rather we consistently finish top 4 and have repeated looks (which I believe this list is capable of) than conjure up a theme based, lightning in a bottle assault on the finals from 5-8 once every 5 years.

It's not good for my sanity :)

bornadog
20-09-2021, 10:54 AM
Funny how lots of Bulldog supporters don't really rate King.

Here is an excerpt from The Age:

Steven King and Adem Yze are both assistants at teams playing for the premiership and both have been largely overlooked so far in discussions of the Blues job.

The Blues have spoken with the highly regarded Daniel Giansiracusa, Michael Voss and Adam Kingsley, and they could well be content to make a choice from that pool, but a proper process must include talking to the two grand final assistant coaches.

King and Yze are as qualified as any person not currently coaching an AFL team.

King has played at two clubs - Geelong and St Kilda - and coached at two - St Kilda under Ross Lyon and the Bulldogs under Luke Beveridge. He has done an MBA. He is considered smart and tactically astute. He is well liked by the players he has worked with as a line coach for fostering relationships but is also unafraid of having a hard conversation. This might not be surprising given his apprenticeship under Lyon and Beveridge, but it would also appeal to Carlton right now after former coach David Teague frustrated Carlton for not being harder on the players.

Cook would be familiar with King from his playing days as a ruckman at Geelong, which cannot hurt him.

King is being sought by other clubs, including Gold Coast, for senior assistant coaching roles and would be likely to move on from the Bulldogs after the grand final simply to broaden his experience and flesh out his CV regardless of what happens with Carlton.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2021, 11:07 AM
Have we discussed King at any length? I don’t remember him being a topic of debate.

hujsh
20-09-2021, 11:13 AM
Have we discussed King at any length? I don’t remember him being a topic of debate.

Just in the context of all the assistants being yes men

Happy Days
20-09-2021, 11:15 AM
Assistant coaches are really self-fulfilling. If the team is good then they’re highly rated and if the team is bad then they’re nobodies. Unless they’re “highly rated” in which case they’re highly rated.

bornadog
20-09-2021, 11:44 AM

Yes - posters wanting someone that is not a yes man and inferring King is.

GVGjr
20-09-2021, 01:12 PM

Not specific that I'm aware of although it's interesting that both North and then Essendon put in calls for Giansiracusa and I can't recall King being in the mix for senior roles. He seems to be a good coach but there are plenty of them out there.
I suspect we will keep him.

jeemak
20-09-2021, 01:45 PM

I love the yes-men concept. It tells a story of a lovely blend of sycophantism and insecurity.

GVGjr
20-09-2021, 03:40 PM
Yes - posters wanting someone that is not a yes man and inferring King is.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having some assistants who are willing to challenge things especially after 2016.
Lets face it none of the coaches appear to have done enough when Boyd and Cloke were being bullied and when, as you confirmed, Jong was being racially abused.
This is what appeals to me about the likes of a Matthew Boyd or a Brett Montgomery because I'm as confident as I can be that they wouldn't walk past players getting ahead of themselves.

bornadog
20-09-2021, 04:33 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with having some assistants who are willing to challenge things especially after 2016.

Of course, but most people dismissed Steven King as being that sort of person. I don;'t think one person rated him.

Lets face it none of the coaches appear to have done enough when Boyd and Cloke were being bullied and when, as you confirmed, Jong was being racially abused.

How do you know that didn't happen?

No coincidence that Bevo wanted Stringer and Dahlhaus out, and LIbba was given a stern talking to.

This is what appeals to me about the likes of a Matthew Boyd or a Brett Montgomery because I'm as confident as I can be that they wouldn't walk past players getting ahead of themselves.

How do you know the current coaches don't do that?

GVGjr
20-09-2021, 05:18 PM
Of course, but most people dismissed Steven King as being that sort of person. I don;'t think one person rated him.
How do you know that didn't happen?

No coincidence that Bevo wanted Stringer and Dahlhaus out, and LIbba was given a stern talking to.

Which players got stood down? Both bullying and racial comments demand that sort of action and not waiting until the end of the season and jettisoning just one player.

Axe Man
20-09-2021, 05:19 PM
Carlton clean out complete - the last assistant standing Cameron Bruce has gone to Brisbane.

MrMahatma
20-09-2021, 06:42 PM
Which players got stood down? Both bullying and racial comments demand that sort of action and not waiting until the end of the season and jettisoning just one player.

I don't know the detail of what went on, but does the discipline of this belong to the assistant coaches?

GVGjr
20-09-2021, 07:02 PM
I don't know the detail of what went on, but does the discipline of this belong to the assistant coaches?

I think it highlights that we have been inconsistent with the way dealt with challenges after the triumphant 2016 season and that falls onto the club and coaches.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2021, 07:24 PM

Teague to Richmond.

Axe Man
22-09-2021, 04:17 PM
Robert Harvey has joined the Hawks.

macca
22-09-2021, 06:32 PM
Teague to Richmond.

He must be highly rated

Good to see that he has not been lost to football.

bornadog
26-09-2021, 02:16 PM
Tom Lynch to join North Melbourne in coaching role and may play as well

jeemak
27-09-2021, 12:54 AM
He must be highly rated

Good to see that he has not been lost to football.

He's extremely highly rated in the industry.

Funnily enough, my uncle who's a Carlton fan reckons that getting Voss on board will deliver a coach Carlton players will respect, inferring that Teague a best and fairest for their club and also someone who was voted most courageous in the AFL the same year wasn't someone the players could.

Weird.

macca
27-09-2021, 04:32 AM
He's extremely highly rated in the industry.

Funnily enough, my uncle who's a Carlton fan reckons that getting Voss on board will deliver a coach Carlton players will respect, inferring that Teague a best and fairest for their club and also someone who was voted most courageous in the AFL the same year wasn't someone the players could.

Weird.

Apparently Voss has learnt to listen to his players and provide more delicate feedback.

I give it 6 months into the 2022 seasons, with the Carlton playing group before he loses them when he cracks it.

He needs some seriously tough, take no prisoners assistance around him, like Leppitsche who would break any " I am precious, overpaid , achieve nothing with my overpaid salary" playing group mentality.

Its very hard to change the culture.

They got rid of Bolton, Malthouse . I thought the players loved Malthouse at the pies, regardless of the bunch of "misfits" in the group. They played for him. It never really happened at Carlton.

1eyedog
27-09-2021, 11:09 AM
Bevo needs to get on the phone to Clarko. There's not many people Bevo can talk to on the same level but Clarko is one of them. Outstanding footy mind and will bring a fresh perspective. Not a yes man by any stretch but someone that Bevo respects, can work with at a social level and will confide in.

The Underdog
27-09-2021, 12:26 PM
Bevo needs to get on the phone to Clarko. There's not many people Bevo can talk to on the same level but Clarko is one of them. Outstanding footy mind and will bring a fresh perspective. Not a yes man by any stretch but someone that Bevo respects, can work with at a social level and will confide in.

There’s absolutely no way that Clarko is taking an assistants role, as awesome as it would be for us. Just absolutely nothing in it for him. He’s getting paid already, can earn some extra cash in the media and then stroll into another job next year.

bornadog
27-09-2021, 01:44 PM
There’s absolutely no way that Clarko is taking an assistants role, as awesome as it would be for us. Just absolutely nothing in it for him. He’s getting paid already, can earn some extra cash in the media and then stroll into another job next year.

I doubt 1eye is talking about an assistants role. More an advisory role I would say.

GVGjr
27-09-2021, 04:45 PM
Mark Williams should be one of the first calls made.

He would be an asset for us

angelopetraglia
27-09-2021, 04:49 PM
Cats now targeting Hanson https://www.afl.com.au/news/682318

At this rate we will not have any assistants left. Is the club proactive enough in chasing the right help for Bevo?

bornadog
27-09-2021, 04:52 PM

At this rate we will not have any assistants left. Is the club proactive enough in chasing the right help for Bevo?

A few changes will be good

GVGjr
27-09-2021, 04:55 PM

I'm a big fan of Hansen. We should do our best to keep him