PDA

View Full Version : The balance of the 2020 season

GVGjr
29-08-2020, 10:45 AM
Hugely disappointing result last night no doubt but there were a number of positives as well

How do we prepare for the balance of the season is there a different approach we should be taking?
What should we be looking to achieve in our last 3 games of the 'home' and away season?

Sedat
29-08-2020, 11:17 AM
We should be bedding down our best 2020 line-up and going flat-chat to win every game.

Experimentation and 'playing the kids' is for the teams on 5 wins or fewer

SonofScray
29-08-2020, 11:21 AM
We should be bedding down our best 2020 line-up and going flat-chat to win every game.

Bevo has had an eternity to decide on what a best 22 looks like. I don't have any clue and I suspect he doesn't either. Did he say he was "making it up as we go" in the press conference? Maybe I misheard.

Sedat
29-08-2020, 11:27 AM
Bevo has had an eternity to decide on what a best 22 looks like. I don't have any clue and I suspect he doesn't either. Did he say he was "making it up as we go" in the press conference? Maybe I misheard.
Our best run of form since the premiership was the 2nd half of last year, when we (finally) started playing with a more settled line-up. I don't think it was a coincidence.

SonofScray
29-08-2020, 11:29 AM
Our best run of form since the premiership was the 2nd half of last year, when we (finally) started playing with a more settled line-up. I don't think it was a coincidence.

Agree.

Mantis
29-08-2020, 11:42 AM

Then we threw it all out the window when we started this year and we’re still playing funny buggers at the selection table.. when does it end?

G-Mo77
29-08-2020, 11:51 AM

Nope you didn't miss hear it, that's exactly what he said when asked about the rucks.

Grantysghost
29-08-2020, 11:54 AM

Trengove was part of most of that too. I try not to say much about him on here but there’s a lot of confusion regarding his omission.

azabob
29-08-2020, 11:56 AM
Trengove was part of most of that too. I try not to say much about him on here but there’s a lot of confusion regarding his omission.

Notably Trengove didn’t play against the Crows or the Giants in the final.

Feel free to speculate on his omission.

Grantysghost
29-08-2020, 12:00 PM
Notably Trengove didn’t play against the Crows or the Giants in the final.

Feel free to speculate on his omission.

Well. It was English had a virus in GWS game rd 22 and he rucked. Lew Young took his spot. That’s it really. Hasn’t had a look in since.

SonofScray
29-08-2020, 12:30 PM
Nope you didn't miss hear it, that's exactly what he said when asked about the rucks.

Oh dear.

GVGjr
29-08-2020, 01:13 PM
I'd like to see us pick our best sides but with some minimal experimenting.
Use Dunkley more as a mid than a ruck man and try and develop a tagger from our group. The 'extra' mid isn't working and he doesn't have the athleticism to be used in significant minutes as a ruck man.

Lets work out what we are going with Gardner and Schache?
- If the MC sees something special in Gardner, I'll concede that he needs the balance of the season to prove his worth
- Plenty of us see a talented player in Schache but the MC perhaps don't. Can he help in the ruck or be a key defender or as the key forward we traded for? Lets use the balance of the season to find out if he is genuinely in our plans for 2021 and beyond or if it's just Naughton and Bruce as our key forwards in 2021.

Lets think long and hard before we select:
- Roarke Smith - He's had a lot of injuries and I'm sure he is dedicated type who works his back side off but his best just isn't good enough. He's close but with just a few too many limitations
- Tory Dickson - Last night was your chance but you were a mile off the mark. You have been a great player for us but we should not be selecting Dickson again.
- Josh Bruce - I get that this disjointed season has been a challenge for some players but we've exhibited an exceptionally patient approach with Bruce for bugger all return. We should be saying "lets see you fitter and better in 2021" to Bruce
- Fergus Greene - He's been in some decent form according to the few reports we can see but if he comes in and kicks 3 goals in a game we will feel compelled to maintain him on the list next season and we just need to be clear now if we want to do that.
- Garcia, Porter, Butler and Weightman should only be played if injuries determine that
- Brad Lynch - You looked promising for a small part of 2018 but haven't been able to secure chances since. As much as you have some AFL skills we need to accept that you won't be at the club in 2021
- Jackson Trengove - it's one of the great mysteries to me that we couldn't find a consistent spot for you and you have been a great leader around the club but unless English is injured Lewis Young needs to be the preference. Thanks Jacko it's going to be sad to see you go
- Billy Gowers - Seems to be rated by the MC and had one good season as a forward but may have been worked out. Do we play Gowers or look to reinvent him as a player of do we just move on and select others?

DOG GOD
29-08-2020, 01:31 PM
Then we threw it all out the window when we started this year and we’re still playing funny buggers at the selection table.. when does it end?
When Bevo walks out the door for the last time.

soupman
29-08-2020, 01:38 PM
GVGjr's Greene point is a really interesting one and applies to a lot of our squad.

All of Greene, Lynch, Porter, Smith, Gowers and to a lesser extent Cavarra have been on the list for multiple seasons with no demonstrated improvement in say the last two and I imagine all would be on the delist pile for most.

Do we actually see any of them making it as AFL players? And if not then is giving them the opportunity to show something doing us a disservice as if they show "enough" we are obliged to give them another year?

I mean Bailey Dale is a good example of showing no improvement, gets an opportunity and shows something but still largely unproven, gets a contract and resumes his crap form of the previous 2 years. And i would argue he has demonstrated he is better at AFL level than all the above mentioned players even aside from last years performances, and I still think he poses as a very awkward player to carry on our list for 3 years.

Greene is probably the only one above that most people have anything resembling hope for, and even if he is a competent player do any of us see him being better than Dale who plays almost the exact same role, and he would just add another low possession deepish no crumbing forward to our list which already has an abundance of mediocre players in that position.

DOG GOD
29-08-2020, 01:40 PM
I would keep Greene and CAV and delist the others.
Lynch, porter, Gowers and smith are VFL at best

bornadog
29-08-2020, 01:54 PM
Last night was almost our best 22, however, we need to consider the following players for the balance of the season:

Duryea
Suckling
Cordy
Schache
Dale
Trengove
Lipinski

I can't see anyone else that we can bring in at this stage of the season.

GVGjr
29-08-2020, 02:06 PM
Greene is probably the only one above that most people have anything resembling hope for, and even if he is a competent player do any of us see him being better than Dale who plays almost the exact same role, and he would just add another low possession deepish no crumbing forward to our list which already has an abundance of mediocre players in that position.

Greene has ability and most importantly some upside but he's mainly had an injury free season this year and has made the emergency list just once or twice. We either don't rate him as good enough or have preferred the likes of Gowers, Dale, Lloyd, Vandermeer, Weightman and West. Perhaps we just run a bit too deep in that mid sized forward spots especially with Wally performing so well

It wouldn't be a bad decision to play him based on his form but I don't think we should play him just because we want to give him another chance.

What do we do with Gowers? Should he be given another chance, made to earn it, try him in another role or do we accept that he is not part of our 2021 plans and open the door for others?

DOG GOD
29-08-2020, 03:05 PM
The MC have pretty much used 2020 as a “throw the puzzle pieces up in the air and see where they lay” attitude this amongst other stupid moves.

I’m gunna say this, IF things don’t change and change quickly for 2021 and 2022, then the “Bonti” years will be over. The MC have pretty much ruined the careers of Lewis Young and Josh Schache, and are doing their best to ruin Dunkley and English.

Dead wood is ripe at this club. Gowers, Gardner, Hayes, Lynch, Smith have got to go for starters.

If the MC honestly think Gardner is a better long term prospect than Young then .....what do I know.

I’d keep Greene for now.

Remi Moses
29-08-2020, 07:48 PM
Disagree on Schache
You have to play with a form of intensity in this era
The games that fast it shows when players don’t
Unfortunately Josh needs to show more urgency

Danjul
29-08-2020, 07:56 PM
The MC have pretty much used 2020 as a “throw the puzzle pieces up in the air and see where they lay” attitude this amongst other stupid moves.

I’m gunna say this, IF things don’t change and change quickly for 2021 and 2022, then the “Bonti” years will be over. The MC have pretty much ruined the careers of Lewis Young and Josh Schache, and are doing their best to ruin Dunkley and English.

Dead wood is ripe at this club. Gowers, Gardner, Hayes, Lynch, Smith have got to go for starters.

If the MC honestly think Gardner is a better long term prospect than Young then .....what do I know.

I’d keep Greene for now.

I thought Hayes’ play that set up Hunter’s goal was our best of the last three quarters. Pure class. I wish we had a few more who could do it.

josie
29-08-2020, 08:38 PM
Agree with Danjul’s thoughts on Hayes passage of play-thought he played ok rest of match too.

FrediKanoute
29-08-2020, 09:00 PM
For starters the season is not over. Win the next 3 games and we probably make the finals. Whilst not quite where we expected to be in March, no one expected anyone to be in this position. In my mind we keep playing the best 22 players we have. Guys who put their hand up should be rewarded - but with a caveat - strong performances on the track and performances in scratch matches count for zip unless its translated onto the field in the AFL.

There is no point Gowers or Schache or Hayes or Smith or Gardiner or Dicko training the house down and performing in scratch matches where the pressure is off and them coming up to the serious stuff and failing. The inability to take the next step and bring A grade intensity; A grade commitment; A grade performance is indicative of players who just can't be part of the set up next year.

Danjul
30-08-2020, 12:13 AM
For starters the season is not over. Win the next 3 games and we probably make the finals. Whilst not quite where we expected to be in March, no one expected anyone to be in this position. In my mind we keep playing the best 22 players we have. Guys who put their hand up should be rewarded - but with a caveat - strong performances on the track and performances in scratch matches count for zip unless its translated onto the field in the AFL.
We don’t know who the best 22 are. What we see is simply the most popular.

No player in the history of the team has ever been gifted the set of selections given to Bruce.

His 6 possessions as season average (and again on Friday) shows he should not be in the team. When you look at what he did with the ball on those 6 occasions (the missed goals from 25 and 35m and the handball out of bounds when we had a clear path to goal) shows he should not be in the team. Clearly a MC favourite , so they share the blame for the damage done.

Fortunately there are some scapegoats for this season ‘s dismal performance. They will be enough to take our attention away from noticing how far we have fallen in the past 4 years. Halving Dunkley’s effectiveness can be dismissed as a necessity (because English has been driven into the ground - but don’t say it out loud or you will be dismissed as disloyal ).

Why couldn’t the players who took the field defend a 6 goal lead by kicking 4 goals in 3 quarters on Friday?

Why couldn’t we kick more than 5 goals against Collingwood in the first game?

14 games apart but the same reason for failing, and it’s not the players.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-08-2020, 01:15 AM
We don’t know who the best 22 are. What we see is simply the most popular.

No player in the history of the team has ever been gifted the set of selections given to Bruce.

His 6 possessions as season average (and again on Friday) shows he should not be in the team. When you look at what he did with the ball on those 6 occasions (the missed goals from 25 and 35m and the handball out of bounds when we had a clear path to goal) shows he should not be in the team. Clearly a MC favourite , so they share the blame for the damage done.

Fortunately there are some scapegoats for this season ‘s dismal performance. They will be enough to take our attention away from noticing how far we have fallen in the past 4 years. Halving Dunkley’s effectiveness can be dismissed as a necessity (because English has been driven into the ground - but don’t say it out loud or you will be dismissed as disloyal ).

Why couldn’t the players who took the field defend a 6 goal lead by kicking 4 goals in 3 quarters on Friday?

Why couldn’t we kick more than 5 goals against Collingwood in the first game?

14 games apart but the same reason for failing, and it’s not the players.

You'd be great as a Fox news reporter. The Carlson Tucker of Australia!

You're not disposed to discussion or up for even considering changing your point of view.
You've a tightly wound narrative, and confirmation bias be danned, you'll stick to it!
Yep we gave up a 6 goal lead. Instead of examining the full range of factors that may explain it, you just keep your gaze narrowed and focus on the bits that support your predetermined narrative.
Find some nuance
Absolute tripe of a post!
You're clearly a massive Dog's supporter, and like all of us, frustrated by our inability to recapture 2016 lightning in a bottle. Lift your gaze.
Yes we're clearly along way off the mark, but many of your posts, like the one above, want to conveniently reduce our issues to a tightly wound narrative of inconpetence of our coaches.

I just don't see that as being the case.
Reducing our loss to Geelong along narrow terms, misses a larger spectrum of factors that are quite more plausible.

Geelong aren't mugs. They were always going to reapply themselves at Qtr time.
They had the 10 most experienced players on the field . Discount that at your peril.

We lost 2 players by half time. By any stretch, statistically that is a huge hurdle to overcome.

azabob
30-08-2020, 08:39 AM

You're not disposed to discussion or up for even considering changing your point of view.
You've a tightly wound narrative, and confirmation bias be danned, you'll stick to it!
Yep we gave up a 6 goal lead. Instead of examining the full range of factors that may explain it, you just keep your gaze narrowed and focus on the bits that support your predetermined narrative.
Find some nuance
You're clearly a massive Dog's supporter, and like all of us, frustrated by our inability to recapture 2016 lightning in a bottle. Lift your gaze.
Yes we're clearly along way off the mark, but many of your posts, like the one above, want to conveniently reduce our issues to a tightly wound narrative of inconpetence of our coaches.

Reducing our loss to Geelong along narrow terms, misses a larger spectrum of factors that are quite more plausible.

They had the 10 most experienced players on the field . Discount that at your peril.

We lost 2 players by half time. By any stretch, statistically that is a huge hurdle to overcome.

List management, match committee and coaching has gotten us into this situation.

If we had a proper ruck solution rather than Dunkley, Bontempelli or Macrae I truly believe we would've been able to withstand the Geelong onslaught and gotten over the line.

How can you justify Bruce's continued selection and our ruck strategy?

azabob
30-08-2020, 09:51 AM

I think we have done this the last few weeks which makes the first half of 2020 and first half of 2019 equally frustrating.

I would like some ruck support for Tim English and not have it come from our midfielders.

Lewis Young seems the most likely candidate as he has played this role previously with limited success. Young appears to be more suited to the freedom of a ruck / forward role rather than lock down defender. In his debut season he played the third man up / intercept role in the back half really well.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-08-2020, 10:38 AM
List management, match committee and coaching has gotten us into this situation.

If we had a proper ruck solution rather than Dunkley, Bontempelli or Macrae I truly believe we would've been able to withstand the Geelong onslaught and gotten over the line.

How can you justify Bruce's continued selection and our ruck strategy?

I don't disagree our list management has got us into the position whereby Bevo is having to employ this risk mitigation approach.

I do think this needs to be our prime area to sort out this off season.

But the actual mechanics of what is occurring at ruck contests is in my opinion pretty good.
We lost hit outs by a whopping margin 49 to 13. Yet we lost clearances by only 8 overall. 11 to 9 in the centre and 25 to 19 around the ground.

Bruce's selection has become an issue, but I'm not as sure as some as to the solution. Schache simply cannot perform Bruce's role. He's shown absolutely no ability to hit a pack and either mark or bring the ball to ground.

If Schache is to come in for Bruce, then its probably going to mean Naughton plays a different role?

Or yep, maybe Lewis Young. Although I'm not sure he's really going to play the Bruce role effectively at this stage.
But I still think as I said in the match day thread Bruce's time has come, he needs to be dropped. MC will have to work out how to restructure the forward line in his absence.

GVGjr
30-08-2020, 10:46 AM
Bruce's selection has become an issue, but I'm not as sure as some as to the solution. Schache simply cannot perform Bruce's role. He's shown absolutely no ability to hit a pack and either mark or bring the ball to ground.

If Schache is to come in for Bruce, then its probably going to mean Naughton plays a different role?

Bruce isn't really clunking marks up forward but to me the goal kicking accuracy of Schache is a huge point of difference with Bruce.

I know it's an exceptionally hard call but we need to cut our losses with Bruce for 2020 and hope he gets it together for 2021.
It just makes a mockery of the notion we have spun this year about picking players on form.

I'd be playing Schache or Lewis Young for the balance of the season but I don't think it will happen.
Give Schache a strong message to make these games count and lets see if the coin drops or not.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-08-2020, 10:50 AM
Bruce isn't really clunking marks up forward but to me the goal kicking accuracy of Schache is a huge point of difference with Bruce.

I know it's an exceptionally hard call but we need to cut our losses with Bruce for 2020 and hope he gets it together for 2021.
It just makes a mockery of the notion we have spun this year about picking players on form.

I'd be playing Schache or Lewis Young for the balance of the season but I don't think it will happen.
Give Schache a strong message to make these games count and lets see if the coin drops or not.

Do we know how Schache went in the scratch match this weekend?

GVGjr
30-08-2020, 10:50 AM

Greene kicked 3, Schache 2

Goals: Greene 3, Schache 2, Suckling 2, Garcia, Gowers, R. Smith, Weightman

bornadog
30-08-2020, 10:51 AM

Kicked two goals, that is all I know.

I still think he can come in and spend some time in the ruck instead of Dunkley

DOG GOD
30-08-2020, 10:54 AM
If we keep playing Dunkley in the ruck, then the MC have to take 100% blame in ruining his career.

westbulldog
30-08-2020, 11:29 AM
The Melbourne and Giants wins yesterday didn't help our ladder position. A Carlton win today would see us 11th and they could have 2 further wins v Sydney and Adelaide. I can't see us winning all 3 upcoming games, 2 at most so imo it is a tough road to make the 8. Therefore I think we need to variously play Schache, Trengove, Le Young, Sweet and Greene to see their worth going forward. I think Hayes has shown enough to be retained. Imo say goodbye to Dickson, Lynch, R Smith and Gowers. Bruce has not earned his spot and should be sent away with a fitness coach for the rest of the year. He has ability but, other than 1 game, has done nothing.

Danjul
30-08-2020, 12:01 PM

Find some nuance

when the facts don’t change even slightly in three and a half years why should the interpretation?

Fact 1. We defeated Geelong in 2018.
Fact 2. We defeated Geelong in 2019. They only managed 7 goals in the game.

Geelong should have been worried about us. Their only recent win against the Dogs was in a shoot out with their home ground advantage.

Fact 3. We kicked 3 Goals in three quarters to lose in 2020. (Couldn’t kick 4 goals to defend a six goal lead).

Yet we have some great players approaching their prime.

Yes we lost 2 players, how did we adjust? Genuine question because I didn’t see any. What did we do to curb Dangerfield? Why didn’t we put Bruce (no goals again) in ruck so Dunkley (13 possessions) could get into the game?

And it’s not as though Geelong was injury free.

Another little known fact: The opposition often gets a goal within 60 seconds of Macrae being ruck. I think I saw that again.

I would love to change my opinion. But I want facts and honesty, it has gone on too long for excuses to be sufficient.

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-08-2020, 12:33 PM
The Melbourne and Giants wins yesterday didn't help our ladder position. A Carlton win today would see us 11th and they could have 2 further wins v Sydney and Adelaide. I can't see us winning all 3 upcoming games, 2 at most so imo it is a tough road to make the 8. Therefore I think we need to variously play Schache, Trengove, Le Young, Sweet and Greene to see their worth going forward. I think Hayes has shown enough to be retained. Imo say goodbye to Dickson, Lynch, R Smith and Gowers. Bruce has not earned his spot and should be sent away with a fitness coach for the rest of the year. He has ability but, other than 1 game, has done nothing.
Schache Trengrove and Le Young have effectively been left lamenting at the expense of Bruce Keath and Gardner. It begs the question have we improved by these decisions. You would have to say probably not given that there is every possibility of not now making the final 8. Most would agree with the 4 players you have suggested should be moved on. The recent recruiting gains of Smith and Vandemeer highlights the need to further strengthen the list in a bid to become a serious Final 4 challenger again.

Happy Days
30-08-2020, 12:55 PM
For real do we even need to replace Bruce's role? Naughton has looked better with Bruce not in the side and is taking the best defender now anyway. We have a few mid sized guys that play tall in the wings that will provide more scoreboard impact and I'd like to see us move in that direction.

Remi Moses
30-08-2020, 01:07 PM

Find some nuance

He’s “ the loudest voice “ on here
Same tired old hymn book

Remi Moses
30-08-2020, 01:09 PM
Supporters have to move forward and stop using 2016 as a reference point
The reasons we’ve fallen just can’t be put at the feet of the coaches

Remi Moses
30-08-2020, 01:15 PM
Schache Trengrove and Le Young have effectively been left lamenting at the expense of Bruce Keath and Gardner. It begs the question have we improved by these decisions. You would have to say probably not given that there is every possibility of not now making the final 8. Most would agree with the 4 players you have suggested should be moved on. The recent recruiting gains of Smith and Vandemeer highlights the need to further strengthen the list in a bid to become a serious Final 4 challenger again.

It also begs the question of would we be a better side with those players in it ?
Good post NBP
Personally , I have my doubts . Trengove lacks mobility and is a look away now with ball in hand . Schache has showed glimpses, but needs to show some form of intensity . Lewis Young I think has been stiff to be honest
I’d have him in the team ahead of Gardner .

MrMahatma
30-08-2020, 01:17 PM
Even Bruce isn’t playing Bruce’s role. He isn’t kicking goals. He isn’t taking marks. Pretty sure he isn’t in the team to just run around.

At least Schache will lead and run and kick straight.

Remi Moses
30-08-2020, 01:24 PM
Geelongs last two losses against us when they were coming off a bye and set either in the top 4 or on top
I’m as p***** as everyone , but if supporters don’t see that down to two on the bench doesn’t have a role to play here they’re kidding
The ruck situation is one I agree with ( it’s a shambles ) English looks exhausted and an experienced chop out would be handy

Danjul
30-08-2020, 01:39 PM
Supporters have to move forward and stop using 2016 as a reference point
The reasons we’ve fallen just can’t be put at the feet of the coaches
You forgot to finish - explain why we are where we are.

Give specific details we can all understand and follow.

Let’s use them to get an understanding of how we move up and stay there.

I for one would appreciate some insight.

Thanks in advance.

GVGjr
30-08-2020, 01:41 PM
Geelongs last two losses against us when they were coming off a bye and set either in the top 4 or on top
I’m as p***** as everyone , but if supporters don’t see that down to two on the bench doesn’t have a role to play here they’re kidding
The ruck situation is one I agree with ( it’s a shambles ) English looks exhausted and an experienced chop out would be handy

Is it about Geelong? We have a bye and 3 more games to complete the home and away part of the season. We are trying to establish what needs to be done from here on.

As I mentioned in the opening post, while it was a frustrating loss to Geelong there were plenty of positive signs from my perspective

Danjul
30-08-2020, 01:48 PM

So you are saying they weren’t trying and that’s why they lost against the Dogs.

The way I see it that makes our performances even better. I had forgotten that part. They were in form and rested.

And by the way that is a little demeaning to the Dogs.

AshMac
30-08-2020, 08:27 PM
honestly, I'm a hopeless romantic or maybe a deluded die hard....I think finals are still possible and more importantly (for now) we should be fielding our best team every week to try and make them. Anything can happen once the finals start this year.

A week off now will do several players the world of good.

if we tip over the eagles game on, if we get beaten badly then we bring in some experimentation for the final 2 games. I'd love to see sweet (know Bevo says he isn't ready) Le Young and Greene trying the Dale/Dickson/Lloyd role.

Lastly - Bruce needs to start his 2021 preseason right now. Give him a pep talk about required player, shown glimpses, key to our success blah blah and set some rigorous fitness milestones for him to meet by January.

Bumper Bulldogs
30-08-2020, 09:46 PM
So enough about the likes R Smith and co. Our issue is at seasons end we will lose Dickson, Wood, Suckers and the delisting of other (Kids). What has happened that we are so exposed and players we actively sort are on the chopping block. Trengrove, Schacky, Gowers all fall into the group.

I’m afraid that we think we are clever but just outsmarting ourself