PDA

View Full Version : Brian Harris

The Bulldogs Bite
29-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Where is the improvement going to come from?

Harris started 06 off in fine form but drifted quite badly and was given a belting a few times. If we're going to be a successful side in the Finals then Harris is arguably the most important player on the ground for us, because if he's able to hold a Gehrig, Neitz, Lynch etc. we're giving ourselves a very good chance of beating those sides. However; Harris has struggled a bit in recent times.

What's his weaknesses, his strengths, and what does he have to do in order to improve his game?

He has the ability to be a strong FB in the competition IMO.

Another thought; could the fact that we've had NO quality forwards since Harris has been at the Club be a disguised problem? He hasn't had any real quality to contend with over Pre-Seasons, etc. since his time. Could this be a dis-advantage to him, compared to Glass from WCE or Caroll from The Dees? IMO it is a possibility. Holds Harris back from improving to what he could if he had a Gehrig/Riewoldt/Lynch/Hall/Thompson etc to compete with. He can't improve a lot if he's mopping the floor with Skipper, Walsh, Tiller etc.

Darcy's been out for 2 years whilst Grant - still a very good player - is not a genuine star KPF.

Thoughts?

Dry Rot
29-01-2007, 11:39 PM
IIRC Brian got taken late in his draft due to sleep apoenia. Anecdotal evidence suggests he doses off in team meetings etc

I suppose what I'm saying is that IMO concentration is his biggest problem and he is candidate for meditation etc to improve this.

Having said that, I like TBB's idea that our injured tall/dwarf otherwise forward lines don't test him either pre-season.

bresker
30-01-2007, 12:00 AM
According this article the apnoea was fixed a while back.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/04/15/1144521549562.html

Concentration and frustation are his biggest enemies, but there are some forwards he doesn't play against, Fevola and Gehrig being prime examples.

But then, what full back does like playing against two of the premier full forwards in the competition? Yeah, we get frustrated when Gehrig kicks a bag on Harris, but he's the not the only full back who's had it done to him. Sometimes we expect too much. When you're going up against guys who are capable of kicking 100 over a season and 9 or 10 n a match, it's no shame to get walloped occasionally, especially when the midfield leaves a big hole in front of you like they did in both St Kilda games.

His form did drop off towards the end of last season, although he was excellent in the Collingwood final, close to BOG I thought. His big fists were flying that day, everything when back over the boundary line.

I've heard rumours that he suffered a death in the family which may have contributed to the late season blip.

edits to add: Doogs and Harris have had some good battles at training. Maybe this the competition he needs.

Sockeye Salmon
30-01-2007, 09:58 AM
The most significant thing that could improve Harris' performance is our midfield applying more pressure.

GVGjr
30-01-2007, 10:44 AM
The most significant thing that could improve Harris' performance is our midfield applying more pressure.

I suppose it then begs three questions.
1) Will a more defensive and accountable midfield be the focus of our stoppages coach?
2) Are our preferred midfielders capable of playing a more defensive style?
3) If a more defensive minded midfield is achieved, will it have an impact on our own forward set-up?

Raw Toast
30-01-2007, 11:19 AM
I suppose it then begs three questions.
1) Will a more defensive and accountable midfield be the focus of our stoppages coach?
2) Are our preferred midfielders capable of playing a more defensive style?
3) If a more defensive minded midfield is achieved, will it have an impact on our own forward set-up?

Good questions GVGjr.

If we can get a forward line structure that doesn't demand quite so much risk-taking from our midfield then maybe that'll help them become more accountable, which should mean we don't leak so many goals down back.

Darcy becoming a dominant forward would be ideal but probably unlikely in his first season back. But he doesn't need to dominate to make things easier for the midfield. I think he only needs to be able to play the Morgan role - providing the bomb target and bringing the ball to ground - to make a significant impact, as he's likely to get a bit more of it than Morgan unless he's really really struggling for form. This means we need to get a crumber into our forward set-up, one reason why I won't write of Faulkner yet as he's a decent crumber (though Higgins and Akermanis are better imo). Robbins might be under a bit more pressure to keep his place if this happens but his defensive intensity may be even more vital if Dary's mobility is limited.

I don't want to see our midfield become too defensive, but suspect that one of the focusses of the stoppage coach will be on working how to close down the opposition if they do win the clearence (I think this is what the Swans do really well).

Our emphasis on speed (both in terms of leg-speed and ball movement) probably means we'll never get too defensive.

Mofra
30-01-2007, 03:59 PM
I think a strong CHB will help Harris immensly.
Late in the season he didn't seem to know whether to stick to his man or to help his teammates out, this indecision cost him a few times.
Remember in 05 he had Grant almost coaching him on field, so much of his real decision making was done for him, and he was left to play instinctively.

Wight at CHB, another two mid talls in Hargrave & Morris around him, he can worry simply about the job of being a fullback rather than trying to counter every oppositon set-up to cover the inevitable mis-matches we had this season.

GVGjr
30-01-2007, 06:35 PM
I think Mofra's view that a strong CHB would assist Harris no end is valid. The thing I question though is Harris wasn't anywhere near his best as far as I was concerned and seemed to struggle more often than not. He received his share of hidings and we were really lucky that Morris was able to shut out so many other players.

I think might play a fair bit as a CHB so it will be interesting to see if Harris's game improves when his on field coach returns to the back line.

Does anyone else things Harris is not as effective when he plays as a CHB? He does OK on Richo but I think he has struggled on other occassions.

dog town
30-01-2007, 08:27 PM
I rate Harris and see his massive potential but we do tend to be a bit lenient on him. He coughs up a heap of goals at this stage even when he appears to be dominating an opponent.

I think releasing him every now and then would do him a world of good. At the moment once an opponent pushes his arm away and gets a meter of space he is almost just trailing in behind him and hoping for a poorly weighted kick that he can come over the top and spoil. He needs to try and get back past the player and essentially aim to win the ball himself. He is an infinetly better player when he is atacking the ball. Plenty of other areas for him to work on as well.

GVGjr
31-01-2007, 04:15 PM
I rate Harris and see his massive potential but we do tend to be a bit lenient on him. He coughs up a heap of goals at this stage even when he appears to be dominating an opponent.

I think releasing him every now and then would do him a world of good. At the moment once an opponent pushes his arm away and gets a meter of space he is almost just trailing in behind him and hoping for a poorly weighted kick that he can come over the top and spoil. He needs to try and get back past the player and essentially aim to win the ball himself. He is an infinetly better player when he is atacking the ball. Plenty of other areas for him to work on as well.

Agreed. Harris probably hasn't been put under enough scrutiny. He is a vital player for us but he still has plenty of scope for improvement.

BulldogBelle
31-01-2007, 09:36 PM

I agree with that dt, when he is good he is very good but at times he seems to lose concentration and he tends to panic a little. He definitely has great potential he seems to have changed a little since those suspensions he received a few seasons back.

bornadog
31-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Question, do you think because he has had to quell his natural aggression (due to being reported a few times) that this has effected his game a bit?

LostDoggy
01-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Question, do you think because he has had to quell his natural aggression (due to being reported a few times) that this has effected his game a bit?

I do but lets face it..he had to. I think he has matured a lot as well. He needs to find the right balance of aggression that doesn't run the risk of getting himself reported. We cannot afford for Brian to be suspended so it's up to him. The coach should be giving him the rounds of the table if he gets rubbed out again this year.

LostDoggy
03-02-2007, 02:10 PM
Good player but needs to regain his confidence, IMO the confidence factor has been lacking since he had those suspension a couple of years ago.