PDA

View Full Version : Herb Henderson. 90 years young.

merantau
13-09-2020, 03:07 PM
Just saw this on Western Bulldogs True Supporters FB page. Herb was a marvellous player at full back and his understanding with Wally Donald in the pocket was something to behold. I had the privilege of watching the last few years of their careers.
Henderson was the only full back of his era that had the skills, determination and mental toughness to handle John Coleman - both really great players. Happy Birthday Herb.

bornadog
13-09-2020, 03:10 PM
My father use to talk about Herb and told me how great he was.

Eastdog
14-09-2020, 02:26 PM
Just saw this on Western Bulldogs True Supporters FB page. Herb was a marvellous player at full back and his understanding with Wally Donald in the pocket was something to behold. I had the privilege of watching the last few years of their careers.
Henderson was the only full back of his era that had the skills, determination and mental toughness to handle John Coleman - both really great players. Happy Birthday Herb.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herb_Henderson

1954 premiership player as well.

Happy Birthday!

BornInDroopSt'54
14-09-2020, 02:56 PM
Small wirey full back. Had the wood on the great Coleman.

HOSE B ROMERO
20-09-2020, 04:50 PM
Small wirey full back. Had the wood on the great Coleman.

Yeah i think he played on Coleman 4 times and only conceded 8 goals which was outstanding.

HOSE B ROMERO
20-09-2020, 04:51 PM

Is Herb the last of the premiership team Merantau?

I read somewhere 5-10 years ago that there were only 4 remaining.

merantau
20-09-2020, 05:42 PM
I believe there are still five - Herb, Don Ross, Doug Reynolds, Jim Gallagher and Ron Stockman. I hope I haven't made an error here. Hopefully someone will corroborate or correct.

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-09-2020, 07:42 PM
I believe there are still five - Herb, Don Ross, Doug Reynolds, Jim Gallagher and Ron Stockman. I hope I haven't made an error here. Hopefully someone will corroborate or correct.
Angus Abbey who was 19th man would be another.

merantau
20-09-2020, 08:23 PM

Thank you. I knew you would be able to give me a chop out.

Twodogs
21-09-2020, 12:21 PM

Up until Jacob Aarts debuted for Richmond this year Angus Abbey was #2 on the alphabetical list of every V/AFL player ever behind Vic Aanensen.

Twodogs
21-09-2020, 12:25 PM

I used to play pool on Friday nights in the front bar of the Barkly hotel with Doug Reynolds. He was a bit of a pool sharp
back in the day. He'd pretend not to be any good until the bet was made then he'd pull out the party tricks.

Scraggers
21-09-2020, 12:53 PM
He wrote Cantelope Island and Rockit didn't he ?? :p:p