PDA

View Full Version : Morris among Bulldogs coaching casualties

bornadog
14-09-2020, 01:14 PM
link (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/morris-among-bulldogs-coaching-casualties-20200914-p55vde.html)

https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_0.136%2C$multiply_2.1164%2C$ratio_1.5%2C$width_756%2C$ x_0%2C$y_0/t_crop_custom/q_62%2Cf_auto/a3b1c7aa5a7c7405cec75bf990e42e8d7eb9e3fa

Western Bulldogs favourite son Dale Morris won't be returning to the club next year, one of several staff members let go by the Dogs last week.

Premiership defender Morris, 37, was appointed a development coach at the end of last year following his retirement from playing.

But he was stood down during the AFL's initial coronavirus shutdown in March and did not return to the club ahead of the season resumption in June. Assistant coaches Jordan Russell and Joel Corey were in the same boat.

Like myriad assistant coaches and other football department staffers across the league, Morris, Corey and Russell have been told they will not be returning to their roles next year as clubs deal with significantly reduced football department soft caps.

Discussing the ongoing standowns in May, Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said the situation was very difficult.

"[Morris] has got a really bright future as a coach," Beveridge said.

"It's just the first step on his journey and he's constrained now, he's not able to pursue that here at the moment.

"That's probably one of the top-three most challenging days of my life, last Friday.

"I can only imagine how challenging it was [for] the young men who got that news as well.

"I'd love to think at some point in the future I can go to some of those guys and say 'we've got a position for you if you're willing to take it up', but they may have moved on by then.

"There's obviously a sadness to that and the guilt we all feel, the ones that are still in the program, and still have jobs."

Eastdog
14-09-2020, 02:10 PM
Sad to hear Moz leave. Hopefully we can get him back to the club in the future.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-09-2020, 03:18 PM
I really hope Moz gets a gig somewhere, and can come back to the club down the track.
Hopefully bridges haven't been burned by these outcomes, but I understand that the club had no choice but to make these kinds of difficult decisions.

soupman
14-09-2020, 03:25 PM
Feel like Corey is a big loss. Often credited by some of our better players as being a big influence.

Hard to know really though how big an impact each departure has.

Insufficient Intent
14-09-2020, 03:35 PM
So appropriate for Eastdog to have that 2016 iconic shot of Moz toppling Buddy as an avatar:

A truly worthy clubman and such an inspiration to those who played with him and his followers. Guts personified.

So sad to see him stood down, along with Jordan and Joel. Tough times for all the clubs to work through.

Eastdog
14-09-2020, 03:52 PM
Decided a change of avatar due to a great tackle by Zaine Cordy last week against the Eagles and azabob mentioning that tackle from Moz in the GF.

GVGjr
14-09-2020, 04:00 PM
Feel like Corey is a big loss. Often credited by some of our better players as being a big influence.

Hard to know really though how big an impact each departure has.

The loss of Morris tugs the heart strings but Corey is a big loss and we shouldn't underestimate what Russell has brought to the club.

It's going to be some hard yards over the next two years for a number of good footy people

Axe Man
14-09-2020, 04:18 PM
Ben Graham gone as well :(

The cruel cost of the coronavirus pandemic (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/813233/the-cruel-cost-of-the-coronavirus-pandemic?fbclid=IwAR3lCkifrfa0YxmD20-UQCdlOTfAMsmyC6gRpiISYuBNAinZx09toenRgy0)

The Western Bulldogs have made a series of agonising decisions affecting the future of its workforce, as it plans the way forward from the devastating impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

A drastic reduction in the football soft cap mandated across the competition, and the need to significantly reduce the Club’s cost base in administration, will force quality Bulldogs people to depart over the next few weeks and months.

Almost every department across the entire club has been impacted, in an unfortunate but necessary step to ensure the Bulldogs can withstand the financial pressures associated with the recovery from the pandemic and the ongoing economic uncertainty that exists.

“Over the past few weeks, we’ve had to make some heart-breaking decisions as we adjust our business to prepare for the future and the Club’s reset strategic priorities,” said Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains.

“The pandemic has forced us to reduce our spending significantly across our administration and football departments, to allow us to progress in the best manner possible and to meet AFL requirements.

“Inevitably, this means we’ll need to move forward with a leaner workforce, and prioritise our operations. Some wonderfully talented, dedicated and passionate Bulldogs people will depart the Club over the coming weeks.

“With an awfully heavy heart, we thank them for their service and wish them well for their futures, knowing they will always be welcome back to our Club.”

Assistant coaches Joel Corey and Jordan Russell, development coach Dale Morris and football operations manager Ben Graham will depart the Club’s Football Department in 2020.

“Each of our departing staff have put their heart and soul into their roles,” said Bulldogs Director of Football, Chris Grant.

“It’s an incredibly difficult time for everyone. Football clubs are like families, and to farewell great people through no fault of their own is a painful thing to do.

“We wholeheartedly thank them for their tireless contribution to the Club, and they can rest assured they’ll be in our thoughts as we move into the future.”

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-09-2020, 04:30 PM
Wow.. Is every club affected the same? I mean football operations manager is now a non-required role??

Axe Man
14-09-2020, 04:42 PM
Wow.. Is every club affected the same? I mean football operations manager is now a non-required role??

Every club's soft cap is being cut from $9.7 to $6.2 million. It's a massive cut and I suppose clubs will reduce costs in different ways.

bornadog
14-09-2020, 04:56 PM
Head of myotherapy has gone as well.

FrediKanoute
14-09-2020, 06:02 PM
These are just the profile positions. Many businesses across the world are doing the same thing. Businesses have to cut in order to survive at least until revenues stabilise again.

GVGjr
14-09-2020, 07:31 PM

Ben Graham has been with us since 2013 and will really be missed.
He had the dual role of Football Operations Manager and VFL General Manager and he has a role of match days

We have a GM of Football operations and with no VFL likely next season he was probably in the wrong spot for 2021

Hotdog60
14-09-2020, 07:50 PM
Could the club call on volunteers. Retired supporters to help fill administration tasks there might be oldies out there that would love doing it. Could older players that have experience in coaching also volunteer time to fill a void. If the word was put out there would they come.

GVGjr
14-09-2020, 07:52 PM
Could the club call on volunteers. Retired supporters to help fill administration tasks there might be oldies out there that would love doing it. Could older players that have experience in coaching also volunteer time to fill a void. If the word was put out there would they come.

I'm sure people with appropriate skills and available time might come forward

bornadog
14-09-2020, 08:15 PM
Ben Graham has been with us since 2013 and will really be missed.
He had the dual role of Football Operations Manager and VFL General Manager and he has a role of match days

We have a GM of Football operations and with no VFL likely next season he was probably in the wrong spot for 2021

why do you say likely no VFL?

There have been no reports of that?

Hotdog60
14-09-2020, 09:16 PM

I think GVGjr maybe referring to the east coast comp the AFL is creating.

GVGjr
14-09-2020, 09:27 PM

I think GVGjr maybe referring to the east coast comp the AFL is creating.

Yes, I don't know how that is likely to look

bornadog
15-09-2020, 12:07 AM
Yes, I don't know how that is likely to look

Footscray Bulldogs will still continue next season, whether it's called VFL or something else.

azabob
16-09-2020, 08:12 PM
Mark Stevens reporting Morris back working in the commercial space with the coteries.

comrade
16-09-2020, 08:47 PM
Mark Stevens reporting Morris back working in the commercial space with the coteries.

Coterie calls in the morning, putting out the training cones in the afternoon?

Eastdog
16-09-2020, 09:01 PM

So Moz still at the club in some capacity?

azabob
16-09-2020, 09:02 PM

Sounds about right I reckon.

azabob
16-09-2020, 09:02 PM
So Moz still at the club in some capacity?

Yep!

Eastdog
16-09-2020, 09:09 PM
Yep!

Great to hear!

Twodogs
16-09-2020, 11:03 PM
I think of you are dragging your feet paying for your membership next year then you might get a call from Moz!

angelopetraglia
16-09-2020, 11:34 PM
Great news. People like Moz are the heart and soul of footy clubs. Dual role!

azabob
17-09-2020, 08:57 AM
It is interesting we moved on Joel Corey and Jordan Russell who have both been at the club for a number of years in a few different coaching roles - development and midfield. Beveridge and Grant must be extremely happy with how Maddox goes about it to keep him on.

Interestingly I think I read Port Adelaide took the view that everyone took a pay cut so all their assistant coaches could stay on in 2020.

Ozza
17-09-2020, 10:18 AM

This sounds like really tricky ground. Coterie group work would not be part of the soft cap - and anything to do with players/player development is. IF we are sneakily (but quite obviously) trying to squeeze him in by doing this....it seems a bit more of a Carlton/Essendon move than a Western Bulldogs move, to be honest.

comrade
17-09-2020, 10:22 AM
This sounds like really tricky ground. Coterie group work would not be part of the soft cap - and anything to do with players/player development is. IF we are sneakily (but quite obviously) trying to squeeze him in by doing this....it seems a bit more of a Carlton/Essendon move than a Western Bulldogs move, to be honest.

Yep, not the sort of thing we'd normally do so it might not even be considered, just a bit of a gag on my behalf.

I'd imagine some staff in the coteries team were actually let go, so is it a bit unusual to have an ex-player/coach moved into a full time role they have no previous experience in?

Axe Man
17-09-2020, 10:34 AM
Interestingly I think I read Port Adelaide took the view that everyone took a pay cut so all their assistant coaches could stay on in 2020.

On Footy Classified last night they said ALL assistant coaches across the league will be forced to take between 30-50% pay cuts next season. As a result many may choose to leave the system as they can often earn more outside of football.

Happy Days
17-09-2020, 10:51 AM
This is a very Dudes Rock position but if anyone deserves it then it’s Dale.

Ozza
17-09-2020, 11:01 AM
Yep, not the sort of thing we'd normally do so it might not even be considered, just a bit of a gag on my behalf.

I'd imagine some staff in the coteries team were actually let go, so is it a bit unusual to have an ex-player/coach moved into a full time role they have no previous experience in?

It was the first thing I thought of - and I'd be surprised if we were putting on Morris to do coterie and NOT to be involved somehow in footy.

comrade
17-09-2020, 11:07 AM
It was the first thing I thought of - and I'd be surprised if we were putting on Morris to do coterie and NOT to be involved somehow in footy.

It's probably also a case of wanting to keep him at the club by any means necessary, so when the cap restrictions are lifted or other roles open up within the footy department, he's already on the books and can be transferred across.

mjp
17-09-2020, 01:06 PM
On Footy Classified last night they said ALL assistant coaches across the league will be forced to take between 30-50% pay cuts next season. As a result many may choose to leave the system as they can often earn more outside of football.

30-50%?

That seems high given the soft-cap is not being reduced by that much...

Axe Man
17-09-2020, 01:20 PM
30-50%?

Pretty sure that's what they said. Isn't the soft cap going from $9.4 to $6.2? That's 34%. Maybe a 50% cut is an exaggeration but 30% doesn't sound crazy.

azabob
17-09-2020, 01:28 PM

In our case Russell wanted to stay and I assume Corey would have also.

Ozza
17-09-2020, 03:19 PM
30-50%?

Not really. When the soft cap is being cut by a third - and many roles are being cut down to 0.5, 0.7 and 0.8 (where pay isn't cut, but rather pro rata'd) it makes a lot of sense that assistant coaches would get large salary cuts given that they remain full time.

Ozza
17-09-2020, 03:21 PM
Pretty sure that's what they said. Isn't the soft cap going from $9.4 to $6.2? That's 34%. Maybe a 50% cut is an exaggeration but 30% doesn't sound crazy.

I had in my mind that it is from $9.7m to $6.1m - which is even higher. Its an enomous drop.

Grantysghost
18-09-2020, 11:36 AM
Re Dale :

Commencing as of November, Dale will assume the role of Business Development Executive and will be your first port of call for all Player Sponsor and corporate sales enquiries.

Good news.

Dry Rot
23-09-2020, 04:55 PM
A bit of perspective re the impact of COVD on dollars for sport. Big news for that code.

Qantas drops the Wallabies as it cuts sponsorship costs to zero

https://www.adnews.com.au/news/qantas-drops-the-wallabies-as-it-cuts-sponsorship-costs-to-zero?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PM%20-%20Wednesday%20September%2023%202020&utm_content=PM%20-%20Wednesday%20September%2023%202020+CID_c937bd807ee68f5cd97 5ffdbc3ab92a9&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software&utm_term=1

azabob
23-09-2020, 06:16 PM
I thought this was actually a good article from Tom Morris. A bit of thought has gone into it.

It is about "coaching all rounders" who can do more than one role within a footy club. Morris and Fletcher Roberts get a shout out.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-coaching-allrounder-19-people-to-save-footy-soft-cap-cuts-andrew-mackie-jarryd-roughead/news-story/3c25b19443c7a6ce49196dd28c65d84d

HOSE B ROMERO
23-09-2020, 06:17 PM
A bit of perspective re the impact of COVD on dollars for sport. Big news for that code.

Qantas drops the Wallabies as it cuts sponsorship costs to zero

https://www.adnews.com.au/news/qantas-drops-the-wallabies-as-it-cuts-sponsorship-costs-to-zero?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PM%20-%20Wednesday%20September%2023%202020&utm_content=PM%20-%20Wednesday%20September%2023%202020+CID_c937bd807ee68f5cd97 5ffdbc3ab92a9&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software&utm_term=1

Hmm. With Qantas shopping themselves around to other states, i heard wyndham council are putting forward a proposal. Now putting 2 & 2 together could this mean that Qantas may base themselves in the West. Could it be worth PG getting on the blower to Alan Joyce. And is it pure coincidence that his namesake was an ex-coach of ours?? Could the flying kangaroo be replaced by a snarling Bulldog??

Axe Man
23-09-2020, 06:48 PM
I thought this was actually a good article from Tom Morris. A bit of thought has gone into it.

It is about "coaching all rounders" who can do more than one role within a footy club. Morris and Fletcher Roberts get a shout out.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-coaching-allrounder-19-people-to-save-footy-soft-cap-cuts-andrew-mackie-jarryd-roughead/news-story/3c25b19443c7a6ce49196dd28c65d84d

I had no idea Mitch Hahn was Brisbane's NEAFL coach.