PDA

View Full Version : Delisting and Retirements - 2020

bornadog
14-09-2020, 05:05 PM
All the players retiring delisting and maybe a bargain if you want to give them another go.

bornadog
14-09-2020, 05:06 PM
Hawks starting the clear out.

Ben Stratton and Paul Puopolo

bornadog
15-09-2020, 11:03 AM
Bellchambers has announced his retirement.

bornadog
15-09-2020, 03:31 PM
Kade Simpson retiring

GVGjr
15-09-2020, 04:52 PM
Kade Simpson retiring

He's been a ripping player

Axe Man
15-09-2020, 05:08 PM
Kade Simpson retiring

Most games played starting with three 0 disposal games:
KADE SIMPSON 342
Bernie Jones 86
Tony Gilmore 41
Paul Stevens 18
Colin Nish 10
Gordon Lawrie 8
Michael Francis 7
Kevin Roche 6
Rodger Marsden 3
John Anthony 3

Courtesy of Useless AFL Stats Facebook Page

comrade
15-09-2020, 05:22 PM
KADE SIMPSON 342
Bernie Jones 86
Tony Gilmore 41
Paul Stevens 18
Colin Nish 10
Gordon Lawrie 8
Michael Francis 7
Kevin Roche 6
Rodger Marsden 3
John Anthony 3

Imagine the roasting you'd get on social media these days if you played 3 games in a row without a touch!

jazzadogs
15-09-2020, 05:34 PM
KADE SIMPSON 342
Bernie Jones 86
Tony Gilmore 41
Paul Stevens 18
Colin Nish 10
Gordon Lawrie 8
Michael Francis 7
Kevin Roche 6
Rodger Marsden 3
John Anthony 3

Kade also has the glory and honour of retiring with the most losses in AFL/VFL history with 213 (win rate of 36.91%). This year he overtook Kevin Murray (208 losses) and Doug Hawkins (200). Fingers crossed for him that Nathan Jones plays another unsuccessful season, as he currently sits on 198 losses.

Link (https://afltables.com/afl/stats/alltime/misc_players.html#02a)

bornadog
15-09-2020, 06:06 PM
Kade also has the glory and honour of retiring with the most losses in AFL/VFL history with 213 (win rate of 36.91%). This year he overtook Kevin Murray (208 losses) and Doug Hawkins (200). Fingers crossed for him that Nathan Jones plays another unsuccessful season, as he currently sits on 198 losses.

Link (https://afltables.com/afl/stats/alltime/misc_players.html#02a)

Surely Jones is Cooked?

The Underdog
15-09-2020, 08:03 PM
Kade Simpson achieved the impossible. Being a Carlton player that I honestly liked and respected. Well done to him.

josie
15-09-2020, 08:32 PM
Yeah-I do not mind Kade either. Thought from what I saw of blues games he might go another year. Good disposal and not a panic merchant. Good career.

ledge
16-09-2020, 08:48 AM
Yeah-I do not mind Kade either. Thought from what I saw of blues games he might go another year. Good disposal and not a panic merchant. Good career.

Did he ever play in a final or a winning one ?

Bulldog4life
16-09-2020, 09:58 AM
Imagine the roasting you'd get on social media these days if you played 3 games in a row without a touch!

Yep. Jonathan Brown said he didn't get a touch in his first game. Turned out to be a champion.

jazzadogs
16-09-2020, 09:59 AM
Did he ever play in a final or a winning one ?

6 finals for two wins

Mofra
16-09-2020, 11:24 AM
6 finals for two wins
Pretty sure one of those was the famous 9th vs 5th final against Richmond.

Axe Man
16-09-2020, 11:39 AM
I went to a Carlton v Collingwood game once with friends and Simpson got absolutely murdered by Sharrod Wellingham. Was a huge hit and Simpson was in a bad way. Very brave for a scrawny bloke.

1eyedog
16-09-2020, 11:39 AM
Kade Simpson achieved the impossible. Being a Carlton player that I honestly liked and respected. Well done to him.

Quality player, unassuming bloke. Lots of time for him.

bornadog
17-09-2020, 05:49 PM
Justin Westhoff retiring

also:

Port Adelaide tells four players, including Wylie Buzza and Brodie Grundy's brother Riley, they'll be delisted before the end of the home-and-away-season. Plus Jake Patmore and Martin Frederick told they can leave the AFL bubble and stop training because they won't get a game.

Grantysghost
17-09-2020, 05:59 PM
Interesting. Do we expect to do something similar with players? Doesn't seem Bevo's style to send guys home.

ledge
17-09-2020, 06:09 PM
Interesting. Do we expect to do something similar with players? Doesn't seem Bevo's style to send guys home.

It is strange to boot players when your still in finals it can upset the playing group, why Port would do that is beyond me unless they weren’t pulling their weight.
Luke is big on team mantra and he has pointed out we are ahappy group and looking to go places so I wouldn’t imagine it happening until after finals.
But in saying this we are in a different climate this year than any other.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-09-2020, 06:42 PM
I would say they’ve done it so those players can get out of the hub and move on. If the players would prefer to live si to no restrictions then they’re better off knowing now.

soupman
17-09-2020, 07:15 PM
Also means the remaining playing group has effectively been told "we want you here and think you can play a part" which could be great for the group mindset. I think the players are pretty realistic and wouldn't take the departure as an insult and if anything not keeping guys there unnecessarily is going to be viewed favourably, especially when you consider they've been away from home and family and friends for months now so why make them continue with the sacrifice when it's for nothing.

hujsh
17-09-2020, 11:10 PM
Given the time of year and what's at stake you'd want your reduced coaching pool to be focused too.

If these blokes aren't getting a game this year focus your attention on those you might need I guess

azabob
18-09-2020, 04:19 PM
North have just let go a whole heap of players.

Unsure what happened to Sam Durdin, he did look ok as a key defender.

https://www.nmfc.com.au/news/814932/list-changes-11-roos-depart

jazzadogs
18-09-2020, 04:24 PM
It's official, the Daw is closed!

Axe Man
18-09-2020, 04:27 PM
Pittard has fallen from grace quickly. Wood looked like he was going to be a star a few years ago. Ahern was a high draft pick that didn't have much luck with injury. Quite a few players that were pretty good at one time in their careers.

Grantysghost
18-09-2020, 04:28 PM

Eleven ! That's what you call a cleansing.

The Pie Man
18-09-2020, 04:46 PM
Thought Mason Wood was going to be a player

Bulldog Revolution
18-09-2020, 04:50 PM
Very deep cut from North

Surprised that theyve gone quite that deep - thought Ahern and Pittard would have stayed on and probably Hosie/Murphy

Happy Days
18-09-2020, 05:15 PM
There’s still so many bad players left too.

Rocket Science
18-09-2020, 05:17 PM
Whoah, not so much an axe taken to Norf's list as a wrecking ball.

Bravo but that's a nice indictment on their recruiting staff over the past handful of years.

ratsmac
18-09-2020, 05:26 PM
In the words of Mick Malloy the Roos went "wooshka!"

Dry Rot
18-09-2020, 05:49 PM
Any of them worth a rookie spot with us?

G-Mo77
18-09-2020, 05:55 PM
Yeah Norf not messing around at all! What a waste though, their "war chest" brought Pittard, who just got the flick and Polek's overpriced contract which apparently they want off the books. They're now bottoming out completely, I'm not critical of that move by the way, it's what they need to do, the management before it though needs to be held accountable for what they have done. It'll be a long road back and while I hate Norf it'll be tough to crawl out of in the current climate. Hope we don't lose a club out of it.

comrade
18-09-2020, 06:15 PM
Attention Goldy...get out while you can!

DOG GOD
18-09-2020, 06:28 PM
Pittard was dropped for a few games not adhering to coaches rules/plans so seeing him go doesn’t surprise. In his last few games he’s looked very laconic. Same goes for Wood. It seems very obvious what Shaw has done here. Anyone who he sees as not good enough, lazy, not hard at it, or not willing to play to his game style, will get their papers stamped.

This sends a very clear msg to the rest. Get your act together or get lost.

Grantysghost
18-09-2020, 07:11 PM
Attention Goldy...get out while you can!

If they cut any deeper they won't be able to field a side.

Axe Man
18-09-2020, 07:15 PM
Pittard was dropped for a few games not adhering to coaches rules/plans so seeing him go doesn’t surprise. In his last few games he’s looked very laconic. Same goes for Wood. It seems very obvious what Shaw has done here. Anyone who he sees as not good enough, lazy, not hard at it, or not willing to play to his game style, will get their papers stamped.

This sends a very clear msg to the rest. Get your act together or get lost.

You might be thinking of Polec, Pittard hasn't played since round 11 (in fact he played 33 games straight since crossing from Port up to round 11, and then delisted!).

North are stuck with Polec unless someone is willing to take some of his large contract off their hands.

DOG GOD
18-09-2020, 07:44 PM
You might be thinking of Polec, Pittard hasn't played since round 11 (in fact he played 33 games straight since crossing from Port up to round 11, and then delisted!).

North are stuck with Polec unless someone is willing to take some of his large contract off their hands.

Ah, my mistake. Apologies. Obviously his papers were stamped as early as round 11

GVGjr
18-09-2020, 07:46 PM

I think there will be clubs looking at Mason Wood
Not sure what happened with Durdin who looked to be a decent and versatile player

North have really opened the way to sign some free agents and I'm not sure that is the best way forward for them
They need to go to the draft

I wonder what they will do with Goldy and Brown?

GVGjr
18-09-2020, 07:48 PM
Any of them worth a rookie spot with us?

Not sure there will even be rookie spots next season.
We might have our own challenges in reducing the list down if the AFL set it at 38

jazzadogs
18-09-2020, 07:53 PM
I think there will be clubs looking at Mason Wood
Not sure what happened with Durdin who looked to be a decent and versatile player

North have really opened the way to sign some free agents and I'm not sure that is the best way forward for them
They need to go to the draft

I wonder what they will do with Goldy and Brown?

With 11 gone, potentially more if they trade any of Polec/Brown/Goldy/Higgins, I think they can do both.

Get 2-3 free agents (delisted or otherwise) that will buy in to your culture, and fill the rest at the draft.

GVGjr
18-09-2020, 08:15 PM
With 11 gone, potentially more if they trade any of Polec/Brown/Goldy/Higgins, I think they can do both.

Get 2-3 free agents (delisted or otherwise) that will buy in to your culture, and fill the rest at the draft.

That might be their plan but they haven't even got the list numbers for next year yet.

Twodogs
18-09-2020, 08:32 PM
It's official, the Daw is closed!

Ouch!

I don't think that you can do both. It's a philosophy thing and either you go to the draft and go with kids or you think that you're in a position to take shortcuts and still achieve success with some FAs. IMO North are at the first stage and have to go back to the beginning and start again with kids.

Vred
18-09-2020, 10:03 PM
Channel 7 reporting Ben Brown exploring free agency

north about to have no list.

soupman
19-09-2020, 12:23 AM
Even with reduced list sizes if they eventuate North are going to be looking at filling about 8 spots. There is no way you can draft 8 kids off the back of no underage season and not completely tank your list. Maybe grab a couple of guys that have managed to play interstate, and a couple of guys you really rate that haven't played, but beyond that it's real hit and miss.

However, good opportunity to hit up the free agent club and finally become a "destination club" of sorts. Fringe guys at other clubs must be feeling super vulnerable, and North could fill out their list with guys who have shown they can perform at AFL level and want the security of decent contract. Looking at our list they could target someone who hasn't had much of a look in, like Schache or either Young. Or they could target someone like Lipinski or McLean (less likely now). Kick start the rebuild by getting guys in who have or are about to take the next step, or have good ceilings, and offer them now the opportunity to secure their AFL future. I know it's not ideal and none of the guys I have mentioned are sure fire things but they are better options than pick 64 in a draft of kids that have been locked inside for 6 months.

The Adelaide Connection
19-09-2020, 02:53 AM
Even with reduced list sizes if they eventuate North are going to be looking at filling about 8 spots. There is no way you can draft 8 kids off the back of no underage season and not completely tank your list. Maybe grab a couple of guys that have managed to play interstate, and a couple of guys you really rate that haven't played, but beyond that it's real hit and miss.

However, good opportunity to hit up the free agent club and finally become a "destination club" of sorts. Fringe guys at other clubs must be feeling super vulnerable, and North could fill out their list with guys who have shown they can perform at AFL level and want the security of decent contract. Looking at our list they could target someone who hasn't had much of a look in, like Schache or either Young. Or they could target someone like Lipinski or McLean (less likely now). Kick start the rebuild by getting guys in who have or are about to take the next step, or have good ceilings, and offer them now the opportunity to secure their AFL future. I know it's not ideal and none of the guys I have mentioned are sure fire things but they are better options than pick 64 in a draft of kids that have been locked inside for 6 months.

If the lists are cut back to 35 there are going to be quite a lot of players up for grabs that clubs wouldn't have ordinarily cut. Even if there is one player per team in this boat, that is quite a sizeable list to select from.

This year could turn out to be the ultimate Moneyball year and the perfect time to cut deep for the lower table teams.

soupman
19-09-2020, 03:09 AM
If the lists are cut back to 35 there are going to be quite a lot of players up for grabs that clubs wouldn't have ordinarily cut. Even if there is one player per team in this boat, that is quite a sizeable list to select from.

This year could turn out to be the ultimate Moneyball year and the perfect time to cut deep for the lower table teams.

This is the point I was trying to make (unsure if I managed to actually make it though). If we see reduced lists, which seems probably in some form, the clubs that aren't just scrambling to cut the required amount of players should be able to grab some talent on the cheap.

Even if the player they want isn't going to be delisted, from the other clubs pov if they let a fringe guy go who they would otherwise keep it means one less player to delist. I mean using us an example if we traded say Lipinski it might mean we don't have to cut Lachie Young who we clearly rate (ignore positions and list balance and all that, its an example).

boydogs
19-09-2020, 03:25 AM
There are going to be some brutal cuts with the list size changes, and plenty of good options for redrafting, but I have always liked Mason Wood

jeemak
19-09-2020, 03:40 AM
I think the cull from each club is going to result in a lot of OK players not getting a spot and a few almost OK players going to get a spot at best.

Not sure I see a huge trade period coming up, because every player who is cut has very limited opportunities on other lists. There might be one or two moneyball (whatever that bastardised term means now) selections from clubs, the reality is the AFL is going to turn into a massive graveyard.

GVGjr
19-09-2020, 09:44 AM

I don't think lists will be cut back that far (38 more likely) but you're right that if clubs open up enough spots on their own list there will be plenty of opportunities to add players from other clubs.

I can see that potentially clubs will delist some players with the view of redrafting them only to have another clubs select them
A lot of the delisted players will also be very reasonable with their asking price as well if they can secure another contract for a year or two

GVGjr
19-09-2020, 09:45 AM
There are going to be some brutal cuts with the list size changes, and plenty of good options for redrafting, but I have always liked Mason Wood

For sure, there is going to be a surplus of players available if any club wants to add some experienced players

The Doctor
20-09-2020, 07:10 AM
Essendon

McKernan out

Townsend expected to join him

from Foxsports

GVGjr
20-09-2020, 10:27 AM
Essendon

McKernan out

Townsend expected to join him

from Foxsports

McKernan has been a decent player for them.
Townsend has struggled to make an impact

They should let go of a number of player. I'm always amazed that they attract as many players wanting to go there

Bulldog4life
20-09-2020, 10:32 AM

They should let go of a number of player. I'm always amazed that they attract as many players wanting to go there

The spongy floor?

ledge
20-09-2020, 01:22 PM

Got the Best salesman in the league . Probably came from a used car dealership.

bornadog
21-09-2020, 11:28 PM
Carlton have delisted Ben Silvagni, along with Hugh Goddard, Darcy Lang and Finbar O'Dwyer

ledge
21-09-2020, 11:43 PM
Carlton have delisted Ben Silvagni, along with Hugh Goddard, Darcy Lang and Finbar O'Dwyer

Sad to see Finbar go .. what a name !

Mofra
22-09-2020, 09:48 AM
Sad for Hugh - promising kid ruined by injury

bornadog
23-09-2020, 12:46 PM
Melbourne have delisted, Josh Wagner, Corey Wagner and Kyle Dunkley

Axe Man
23-09-2020, 01:07 PM
Melbourne have delisted, Josh Wagner, Corey Wagner and Kyle Dunkley

What happened to him this year? Looked promising late last season but couldn't get a game this year, even when Melbourne were struggling early on. Maybe get him back to Footscray?

bornadog
23-09-2020, 01:09 PM
What happened to him this year? Looked promising late last season but couldn't get a game this year, even when Melbourne were struggling early on. Maybe get him back to Footscray?

Played 5 last year and still only 20 years old.

ledge
23-09-2020, 01:32 PM

Big surprise how he has dropped from last year, they have a few around his style though.
I would definitely look at him again if we only have A round 4 or 5 pick and he is around.
Was hard and opportunistic .
We rated him.

bornadog
23-09-2020, 06:26 PM
Hawks Ricky Henderson retires and Irish recruit Glass heads home

azabob
23-09-2020, 08:06 PM
Ben Brown officially told to look elsewhere.

Twodogs
23-09-2020, 08:08 PM
The spongy floor?

Gotta be it. Must be a really lovely walk.

Sad to see Finbar go .. what a name !

My best mate has a son called Finbarr. He's a good player too.

I sometimes wonder how competent their football department is? Their coaching department and playing lists aren't real flash so I can easily imagine that their football department don't make very good decisions.

Grantysghost
23-09-2020, 08:49 PM
Ben Brown officially told to look elsewhere.

Crikey can they field a side?

azabob
23-09-2020, 08:59 PM
Crikey can they field a side?

Apparently at the start of the year he was offered 3 years @ $750K and his manager turned it down, asking for a longer term.

ReLoad
23-09-2020, 09:17 PM
Apparently at the start of the year he was offered 3 years @ $750K and his manager turned it down, asking for a longer term.

Why on earth would they let him go...... if we didn’t get Bruce you’d be all over him.

1eyedog
23-09-2020, 09:27 PM
Hawks Ricky Henderson retires and Irish recruit Glass heads home

Henderson got the best out of himself late.

Ben's manager has done him a massive disservice if that's true.

Grantysghost
23-09-2020, 10:09 PM

Oh dear. That's one of the great contract blunders if true.

jeemak
23-09-2020, 10:22 PM
Why on earth would they let him go...... if we didn’t get Bruce you’d be all over him.

Too one dimensional, knock is he's useless if the ball isn't delivered on a platter.

Hotdog60
24-09-2020, 06:38 AM
Too one dimensional, knock is he's useless if the ball isn't delivered on a platter.

He's an old style 70's full forward with Richard Symonds hair.

Bulldog4life
24-09-2020, 08:58 AM

Yes but can he dance like Richard Symonds?

bornadog
24-09-2020, 10:28 AM
Two Gc players retire: George Horlin-Smith and Anthony Miles

Bulldog Revolution
24-09-2020, 10:53 AM
Two Gc players retire: George Horlin-Smith and Anthony Miles

Ordinary players who got the most out of themselves

bornadog
24-09-2020, 11:27 AM
Jack Watts officially retires

Bulldog4life
24-09-2020, 11:54 AM

Another player who wasn't the physical type needed into todays footy.

Axe Man
24-09-2020, 12:03 PM
Another player who wasn't the physical type needed into todays footy.

Injuries have ultimately cost him. Although he was never going to live up the hype he should still have been a solid 250+ game player. He still ended up with 174 games which is a decent career. There is a player on our list by the name of Josh that shares a few similar traits with Jack I reckon.

whythelongface
24-09-2020, 12:30 PM

Very good. He reminds of someone that should be starring in Eight is Enough.

That said I like Ben Brown and hope he finds a good home. Yep a one trick pony but a decent one at that. Surely the Pies will be all over him.

Grantysghost
24-09-2020, 01:13 PM
North open to trading Higgins :

North Melbourne have indicated to star midfielder Shaun Higgins that if he can find a deal that extends beyond his current contract they would be happy to consider trading him.

Seriously they aren't going to have a side.

Edit : Mods can you please move to player movement thread :)

Murphy'sLore
24-09-2020, 01:51 PM

North Melbourne have indicated to star midfielder Shaun Higgins that if he can find a deal that extends beyond his current contract they would be happy to consider trading him.

Also Following our exes...

The Bulldogs Bite
24-09-2020, 01:59 PM
There's rebuilding and then there's ensuring your club can't rebound for 5-10 years.

Well done Norf.

comrade
24-09-2020, 02:04 PM
There's rebuilding and then there's ensuring your club can't rebound for 5-10 years.

Well done Norf.

Rhys Shaw's thinking 'what the heck did I sign up for?!'

1eyedog
24-09-2020, 02:28 PM
Injuries have ultimately cost him. Although he was never going to live up the hype he should still have been a solid 250+ game player. He still ended up with 174 games which is a decent career. There is a player on our list by the name of Josh that shares a few similar traits with Jack I reckon.

Disagree with this Dunks is a great player.

1eyedog
24-09-2020, 02:29 PM

Jack Watts retired a year after he was drafted.

bornadog
24-09-2020, 04:37 PM

33 in March and he already has a contract till 2021. Would anyone really want to give him two more years?

EasternWest
24-09-2020, 04:42 PM
Also Following our exes...

Who woulda thunk paying big bucks for a selfish front runner wouldn't improve team or team culture?

Higgins is like an upgraded Polec, and North have both of them.

Axe Man
25-09-2020, 04:00 PM
Ben Reid has retired immediately after yet another injury setback.

Will Schofield to retire at the end of the season.

PS: Why on earth has this retirement/delisting thread been renamed "AFL Player Movements 2020" when there is already a "2020 Player movement" thread. Ultra confusing!

bornadog
25-09-2020, 04:16 PM
Ben Reid has retired immediately after yet another injury setback.

Will Schofield to retire at the end of the season.

PS: Why on earth has this retirement/delisting thread been renamed "AFL Player Movements 2020" when there is already a "2020 Player movement" thread. Ultra confusing!

I thought I was going crazy when I couldn't find this thread?

The delistings Retirements is for just that, not for players wanting to move.

Axe Man
25-09-2020, 04:35 PM
I thought I was going crazy when I couldn't find this thread?

The delistings Retirements is for just that, not for players wanting to move.

Same! I couldn't figure out where it had gone and then saw 2 threads named pretty much the same thing. There's a rogue mod out there somewhere!

Mofra
25-09-2020, 04:40 PM
Reports that the Corr to north 'done deal' may not be as done as first thought. St Kilda apparently interested, god knows why.

Axe Man
25-09-2020, 05:01 PM
Reports that the Corr to north 'done deal' may not be as done as first thought. St Kilda apparently interested, god knows why.

Lol, wrong thread, this is the delisting/retirement thread that has been mysteriously renamed to confuse us all!

Grantysghost
25-09-2020, 06:20 PM
Cunnington been told to "explore his options" apparently.

Biggest clean out in history. Surely they can't all leave.

Axe Man
25-09-2020, 06:33 PM

Argh! You want the 2020 Player movement thread. Waiting on a mod to change this thread title back to Retirements/Delistings, or something to that effect.

Grantysghost
25-09-2020, 06:40 PM
Argh! You want the 2020 Player movement thread. Waiting on a mod to change this thread title back to Retirements/Delistings, or something to that effect.

Ha. I've got no idea. Apologies !

Rocket Science
25-09-2020, 07:16 PM

That'll teach him for not being able to see out a game he should never have been deemed 'fit' for in the first place.

Weak as piss Cunnington! There's the door!

Grantysghost
25-09-2020, 07:34 PM
That'll teach him for not being able to see out a game he should never have been deemed 'fit' for in the first place.

Weak as piss Cunnington! There's the door!

Haven't you heard of gaining fitness "in game" ? Done your hammy ? Run it out with the spirit of the shin boner.

azabob
25-09-2020, 07:34 PM

Is this where I post about Western Bulldog contract news?

jeemak
25-09-2020, 07:46 PM

Beat me to it!

azabob
25-09-2020, 07:48 PM
Beat me to it!

To be sure you might need to double check.

Axe Man
25-09-2020, 07:55 PM

I was waiting for it. This one ain't my thread though.

EasternWest
25-09-2020, 08:13 PM
I was waiting for it. This one ain't my thread though.

Sticky it anyway!

bornadog
25-09-2020, 10:44 PM
We are back on track with the thread title.

Brandon Matera has been delisted by Freo. 101 games for the Suns, then 43 across three seasons for the Dockers.

Tom North, Hugh Dixon and Jarvis Pina have also been delisted.

ledge
26-09-2020, 12:03 AM
We are back on track with the thread title.

Brandon Matera has been delisted by Freo. 101 games for the Suns, then 43 across three seasons for the Dockers.

Tom North, Hugh Dixon and Jarvis Pina have also been delisted.

No surprises there I have never heard of any of the last three.

Grantysghost
29-09-2020, 12:06 PM
Any interest in Matera? He's still got speed according to the Telstra Tracker (TM).

Top-five fastest players in 2020
Brandon Matera, 34km/h v Collingwood, round 9
Michael Frederick, 33.8km/h v Western Bulldogs, round 18
Andrew Brayshaw, 33.1km/h v Western Bulldogs, round 18

Maybe our learned WA friends could answer this one more accurately, but he may just be worth a shot at 28? Get him for nothing. Kicked 30 goals in 2019.

EasternWest
29-09-2020, 12:40 PM
Any interest in Matera? He's still got speed according to the Telstra Tracker (TM).

Top-five fastest players in 2020
Brandon Matera, 34km/h v Collingwood, round 9
Michael Frederick, 33.8km/h v Western Bulldogs, round 18
Andrew Brayshaw, 33.1km/h v Western Bulldogs, round 18

Maybe our learned WA friends could answer this one more accurately, but he may just be worth a shot at 28? Get him for nothing. Kicked 30 goals in 2019.

I'd rather Polec, and I've made my feelings known on Polec.

1eyedog
29-09-2020, 12:41 PM
I'd rather Polec.

You just want a Polec avatar.

EasternWest
29-09-2020, 12:43 PM
You just want a Polec avatar.

Not when I've already got the best avatar there is.

Axe Man
29-09-2020, 05:07 PM
Heath Shaw let go by GWS, keen to play on.

Maybe we can pick him up as a replacement for Suckling, I'd like to see Heath as EW's new avatar.

bornadog
29-09-2020, 05:11 PM
Heath Shaw let go by GWS, keen to play on.

Maybe we can pick him up as a replacement for Suckling, I'd like to see Heath as EW's new avatar.

Will be 35 in November

Axe Man
29-09-2020, 05:15 PM
Will be 35 in November

Who am I kidding? Shaw is exactly the kind of sprightly young whippersnapper Dodo will pluck from right under our noses!

Grantysghost
29-09-2020, 05:36 PM
Who am I kidding? Shaw is exactly the kind of sprightly young whippersnapper Dodo will pluck from right under our noses!

He’s going to Norf. Then, the only missing piece of the triumvirate of ruination is Tim Shaw from Demtel.

https://i.postimg.cc/SK6pVC8V/5-E820-CB3-171-C-461-B-AFFA-ED408-A727-C2-B.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Axe Man
29-09-2020, 05:41 PM
He’s going to Norf. Then, the only missing piece of the triumvirate of ruination is Tim Shaw from Demtel.

https://i.postimg.cc/SK6pVC8V/5-E820-CB3-171-C-461-B-AFFA-ED408-A727-C2-B.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

At least Tim will supply the steak knives in any deal.

Rocket Science
29-09-2020, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the memories Heater!

https://i.ibb.co/TT109mB/heater.png (https://ibb.co/8Bbx16D)

comrade
29-09-2020, 05:47 PM

Libba broke a man's brain that night.

EasternWest
29-09-2020, 05:50 PM

Why would you antagonise me like that? I've never done anything to you.

Besides, Heath Shaw can actually play.

Rocket Science
29-09-2020, 05:57 PM
Libba broke a man's brain that night.

There's SO much pleasure in that game, not least of all watching Heater slowly unravel to the point he threw a histrionic tantrum at his entire backline when he decided he'd had enough of being victimised by Dicko & Clay all evening.

azabob
29-09-2020, 06:04 PM
There's SO much pleasure in that game, not least of all watching Heater slowly unravel to the point he threw a histrionic tantrum at his entire backline when he decided he'd had enough of being victimised by Dicko & Clay all evening.

Gosh I would love to know what was actually said.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-09-2020, 06:05 PM

Honestly Libba getting into Shaws head was a major contributor to our victory. I mean compare our reaction that game to last years final. We owned the giants that night and it all started with Libba.

comrade
29-09-2020, 06:11 PM
Honestly Libba getting into Shaws head was a major contributor to our victory. I mean compare our reaction that game to last years final. We owned the giants that night and it all started with Libba.

Gotta say I'm pretty relieved Libba is fit and firing right now. No way he allows any BS bully shenanigans.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-09-2020, 06:14 PM
Gotta say I'm pretty relieved Libba is fit and firing right now. No way he allows any BS bully shenanigans.

Yeah we certainly walk taller with him in the side. We need more like him as we can’t get walked over just because he’s not out there. Naughton, Bruce and Wally also help.

jeemak
29-09-2020, 07:10 PM

He looks like Bilbo trying to steal the ring from Frodo.

jeemak
29-09-2020, 07:11 PM
Heath Shaw was the classic example of someone over-aroused and not able to cope with the occasion. He did kick a very good goal in the third quarter that we should have been smart enough to make sure never happened, but apart from that, he was a complete mess.

GVGjr
29-09-2020, 07:31 PM
Why would you antagonise me like that? I've never done anything to you.

Besides, Heath Shaw can actually play.

GWS will miss him, depsite his in your face approach he has a very good footy brain
Perhaps in any other year there might be a couple of clubs keen to get him into a development type role

I never really liked him but I respected him as a player

Rocket Science
29-09-2020, 08:16 PM

Poor Heater, may he be forever vexed by being unable to get both hands on his 'precious'.

Even better, while Shaw's spitting all of the dummies the bloke in the foreground who tormented him is, as ever, all business.

Rocket Science
29-09-2020, 08:19 PM

I mean, taking on Libba, Clay *and* Pickers?

You really don't wanna die on that hill Heater.

Oh that's right. You did.

jazzadogs
29-09-2020, 10:54 PM
Poor Heater, may he be forever vexed by being unable to get both hands on his 'precious'.

Even better, while Shaw's spitting all of the dummies the bloke in the foreground who tormented him is, as ever, all business.

I'm sure he will regret missing out in 2016 and 2019, but he did still get to play in a flag in 2010 - as well as two All-Australians and a GWS B&F in his 325 games. Like GVG, I never liked him but I did respect him and I will always remember his meltdown in the prelim.

Dry Rot
30-09-2020, 12:06 AM
At least there's one thing you can say about Shaw - unlike his Giants teammates, he has a flag.

ledge
30-09-2020, 04:52 AM
I'm sure he will regret missing out in 2016 and 2019, but he did still get to play in a flag in 2010 - as well as two All-Australians and a GWS B&F in his 325 games. Like GVG, I never liked him but I did respect him and I will always remember his meltdown in the prelim.

Doesn’t he have ADHD or something of that nature ?
I actually grew to like him , extremely good footballer and a character, what footy needs . Was passionate about football, his game and the team and even though we hated him for his grumpy outbursts he gave 100% and what supporter could ask for more ?

The Underdog
30-09-2020, 09:17 AM
At least there's one thing you can say about Shaw - unlike his Giants teammates, he has a flag.

And as much as he shits me, he has an absolutely iconic grand final moment.
That smother is brilliant.

soupman
30-09-2020, 11:08 AM
I actually grew to like him , extremely good footballer and a character, what footy needs . Was passionate about football, his game and the team and even though we hated him for his grumpy outbursts he gave 100% and what supporter could ask for more ?

I'm the same. Great player and I love the intensity he brings, also great fun to watch because he is nuts. Also doesn't have the same entitled vibe combined with malicious dirtiness that the worst culprits at that club have (Greene and Cameron mostly).

Mofra
30-09-2020, 11:51 AM

North would win the next two spoons if he goes, maybe more.
Cunnington would be their captain if he spoke, which he doesn't (naturally quiet guy). He's an absolute workhorse and if he left it would be sheer lunacy.

ledge
30-09-2020, 01:26 PM
North would win the next two spoons if he goes, maybe more.
Cunnington would be their captain if he spoke, which he doesn't (naturally quiet guy). He's an absolute workhorse and if he left it would be sheer lunacy.

Sadly it seems his back is not good, I can see that as the only reason they would get rid of him.

Bulldog Revolution
30-09-2020, 02:13 PM
Sadly it seems his back is not good, I can see that as the only reason they would get rid of him.

Great footballer Cunnington - wrecking ball, almost a one man inside midfield

ledge
30-09-2020, 03:53 PM

Completely agree and losing Zeibel at the same time was a serious whack, relied too much on them two, no depth after that.
It’s why I believe the back is done.

ratsmac
01-10-2020, 08:11 PM

He's one of my favourite non bulldog players. No frills but super clean hands. If Libba didn't come good I'd be super keen to see him in the RWB

Twodogs
02-10-2020, 08:24 PM
I mean, taking on Libba, Clay *and* Pickers?

You really don't wanna die on that hill Heater.

Oh that's right. You did.

Three of the hardest nuts I've seen play for us. We were/are lucky to have them

Doesn’t he have ADHD or something of that nature ?

He was diagnosed with ADHD while he was still at high school.

bornadog
11-10-2020, 07:01 PM
Saints waste no time:

St Kilda Football Club has advised Doulton Langlands, Ryan Abbott, Jack Bell, Jack Mayo and Logan Austin that they will not be offered contracts for the 2021 season.

They join retired veteran Nathan Brown as the club’s initial list changes.

bornadog
11-10-2020, 07:13 PM
Travis Varcoe retires

azabob
11-10-2020, 08:14 PM
Saints waste no time:

Ryan Abbott would be a very cheap ruck back up.

Jack Bell is a very skinny ruck / forward and Austin is a key back who was previously at port.

Testekill
13-10-2020, 11:00 AM
Ryan Abbott would be a very cheap ruck back up.

Jack Bell is a very skinny ruck / forward and Austin is a key back who was previously at port.

Yeah, I don't hate picking up Abbott or Austin on the cheap.

bornadog
17-11-2020, 10:30 PM
Oscar McDonald delisted. Any interest for the backline?

GVGjr
17-11-2020, 10:33 PM

Maybe but doubtful I think we believe we are set for key defenders

EasternWest
17-11-2020, 11:18 PM

I'd rather Tom McDonald.

And I've made my feelings known on Tom McDonald.

Happy Days
18-11-2020, 10:10 AM

Absolutely not. Horrible player.

The Doctor
18-11-2020, 11:13 AM

I'd rather Ronald McDonald

Bulldog4life
18-11-2020, 11:20 AM
Talking about McDonalds does anyone else remember Cameron "Onka" McDonald number 9 from the 60's? Loved his nickname.

Axe Man
19-11-2020, 04:32 PM
Lewis Jetta delisted by the Eagles. I would be interested if we had the list space. Surely a better option than Hayes for wing depth.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-11-2020, 04:34 PM
Lewis Jetta delisted by the Eagles. I would be interested if we had the list space. Surely a better option than Hayes for wing depth.

Yep - I'd be pretty keen to throw him a year.

Mofra
19-11-2020, 05:06 PM
Mentor for JUH as well?

bornadog
19-11-2020, 05:19 PM
Mentor for JUH as well?

Build our indigenous programme.

DOG GOD
19-11-2020, 05:22 PM

Yep, a no brainer. Good mentor for JUH and a massive upgrade on Hayes. He and Treloar would bring much needed pace to the team.

Doc26
19-11-2020, 05:30 PM
Mentor for JUH as well?

Build our indigenous programme.

Is Lewis known to be of good stock?

bornadog
19-11-2020, 05:35 PM
Is Lewis known to be of good stock?

I can't answer that, but I don't believe he has ever been in trouble off field that we know of.

bornadog
19-11-2020, 05:58 PM
Sydney Stack could be a delisting - could be worth looking at.

jeemak
19-11-2020, 06:05 PM
He's got too much talent not to be playing AFL.

bulldogtragic
19-11-2020, 06:07 PM
Will Hayes has asked me to politely tell you all ‘to shut the *!*!*!*! up’ for a couple of weeks about bringing more players in. Please.

Grantysghost
19-11-2020, 06:09 PM

I think there will be a few players let go with some quality due to the list size changes, so there will be a bargain to be had. I don't know much about Lewis of late but have those memories of him tearing down the wing for the Swans. Was it the 2012 GF?

Edit : Yes it was. I was at that game it was quite a breathtaking run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1iQ7QdjTew

bornadog
19-11-2020, 06:34 PM
I think there will be a few players let go with some quality due to the list size changes, so there will be a bargain to be had. I don't know much about Lewis of late but have those memories of him tearing down the wing for the Swans. Was it the 2012 GF?

Edit : Yes it was. I was at that game it was quite a breathtaking run.

Incredible run, and against Rioli.

Some highlights from 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3LC7Kmg4s0&feature=emb_rel_end&ab_channel=WestCoast EaglesFootballClub

bornadog
19-11-2020, 06:39 PM
Jack Stevens - retired.

hujsh
19-11-2020, 07:21 PM
Incredible run, and against Rioli.

Some highlights from 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3LC7Kmg4s0&feature=emb_rel_end&ab_channel=WestCoast EaglesFootballClub

Yeah must surely be an easy decision to add that to the side right?

Bulldog Joe
19-11-2020, 07:22 PM

While Lewis Jetta, has at times been a sensational player. he has enormous alarm bells for me.

In 2012 at Sydney he was brilliant and I would have given him the Norm Smith, he dropped off the radar pretty quickly. His time at the Eagles started well but regressed quickly.

Their is nothing in his career that shows resilience. I would not see him as someone to spearhead an indigenous program.

The Adelaide Connection
20-11-2020, 01:22 AM
Jetta is predominantly a HBF isn't he? If so, is likely surplus to our needs.

If he could play as a small forward on the other hand...

jeemak
20-11-2020, 01:29 AM
While Lewis Jetta, has at times been a sensational player. he has enormous alarm bells for me.

In 2012 at Sydney he was brilliant and I would have given him the Norm Smith, he dropped off the radar pretty quickly. His time at the Eagles started well but regressed quickly.

Their is nothing in his career that shows resilience. I would not see him as someone to spearhead an indigenous program.

So you're saying that just being indigenous isn't a green light for running an indigenous footballer mentoring program at a new footy club when your career is on the line?

Woah!

Bulldog Joe
20-11-2020, 06:47 AM
So you're saying that just being indigenous isn't a green light for running an indigenous footballer mentoring program at a new footy club when your career is on the line?

Woah!

If you are going to lead anything you really need to be able to show leadership.

1eyedog
20-11-2020, 01:15 PM

How about the fact that for all the thousands of talented Indigenous players (and yes we have also had a crack by drafting a number of them in the past), Lewis Jetta made it. What about the fact that he comes from a traumatic childhood that had him living on the streets of Perth with his brother Neville to getting himself to training for pretty much his entire teenage years with very little parental support and guidance to eventually making it onto an AFL list? You don't think that is resilient?

Furthermore, Lewis has already undertaken countless development programs and every off-season flies to the Top End to coach and guide Indigenous teenagers teaching them what they need to do to make it at AFL level. So he's already in an Indigenous development program. Here's a quote about his most recent program at Exmouth in W.A and I quote...'the presentation was relevant, powerful and for some of students, will be quite life changing.' Also, Lewis has never once stepped out of line off-field.

Lastly, Lewis has managed to play over 200 games of AFL football, not many Indigenous players get anywhere near this and he has fronted up at AFL level preseason after preseason in order to achieve that. That's another example of resilience. I'm not sure where you get your information from but to suggest that Lewis Jetta has shown no leadership and no resilience throughout his AFL career is a frankly wrong Euro-centric perspective. As for leadership amongst his community, he stood up for his Indigenous heritage with his own war dance in 2015 which gave him massive kudos amongst the Aboriginal community across the country. Lewis Jetta would be a perfect candidate. Indigenous street kid makes good in the AFL, so can you. The Aboriginal community loves Lewis and so will Jamarra. He is a perfect citizen and role model. Look he's not Adam Goodes but he doesn't have to write the framework for our Indigenous program others can provide feedback on that he just needs to be the face of it, support it and be consulted on it. Ultimately he also needs to be a playing mentor for Jamarra. In the end the respect Lewis commands as an Indigenous person coupled with his easy going manner will be the best asset for integrating Indigenous talent into our club.

Whether he can still play or not is up for debate, but if he was willing to come over for a year on base salary to support a program he has previous experience with and add something on-field as well I'd be on the phone to his manager today.

Axe Man
20-11-2020, 01:27 PM
The top 10 delisted players who deserve a second chance at AFL level (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-top-10-delisted-players-who-deserve-a-second-chance-at-afl-level/news-story/6e912a9c8c5bf184b47d646c65998158)

No longer needed at their current club, all capable of filling a role - these are the 10 best experienced AFL player needing a home in 2021.

It’s a brutal time of year, and this year even more so as clubs face further cuts to lists and salary caps.

As clubs move to name their post-2020 delistings, we take a look at the players we think would be worthy of another crack at the top level.

Who do you think deserves a second, third or even fourth chance? Have your say below.

HEATH SHAW

A no-brainer for virtually any club should he decide he wants to play on. He declared after departing the Giants that he wouldn’t be going to North Melbourne to play under his brother Rhyce, but now that his sibling is no longer at the helm, could it be back on the cards? Any club with a young list would benefit.

Rolling one-year deals are the go for players like Shaw, and he might prefer it that way, too. It worked beautifully for Luke Hodge at Brisbane and adding the wealth of experience – and laughs – that Shaw would bring would no doubt have a few clubs thinking.

WHICH CLUBS MIGHT SUIT: North Melbourne, Gold Coast

LEWIS JETTA

Two premierships, 202 games. Those numbers speak for themselves and experience counts for plenty. His pace has always been a key asset and at 31, he could yet have a few years left in him yet.

His value on and off the field is evident — could he be a replacement for the hole in the speed out of defence left by Adam Saad at Essendon? It could do worse.

WHICH CLUBS MIGHT SUIT: Essendon, Melbourne, North Melbourne

JACOB TOWNSEND

After just one year at Essendon, the Richmond premiership player and former Giant was this week bid farewell from Tullamarine, but finding a fourth home shouldn’t be out of the question. His best year was the Tigers’ 2017 flag, kicking 16 goals in just five games, but can be a handy extra contributor in front of goal when called upon. Played 12 games in 2020.

WHICH CLUBS MIGHT SUIT: Gold Coast

OSCAR McDONALD

The former Demon was let go this week after six seasons and 81 games, with the arrival of Steven May and Jake Lever in recent years pushing him down the pecking order.

But he’s hopeful of finding a lifeline after a call he admitted this week “wasn’t completely unexpected”, and at the right club, could serve well as an added presence in defence.

WHICH CLUBS MIGHT SUIT: Carlton, Essendon, Fremantle

MAJAK DAW

You don’t endure a recovery like that if you’re not serious about playing elite-level football. He’s shown an ability to adapt across all positions on the ground, including a promising stint in defence.

Has all the hallmarks of a key backman, but can also pinch-hit in the ruck. Would be a very handy asset for the likes of the Western Bulldogs or Sydney.

WHICH CLUBS MIGHT SUIT: Western Bulldogs, Sydney, Gold Coast

BILLY GOWERS

From Carlton to the Bulldogs and then let go at the ripe age of just 24. While he has been denied regular senior opportunity in recent times, he could well thrive in a forward line that is supported by more experience. He’s keen to play on after ending “on great terms” at Whitten Oval after a year struggling to find form, but if he can rediscover it, he has real potential.

WHICH CLUBS MIGHT SUIT: Hawthorn, Essendon

MATTHEW SCHARENBERG

Ravaged by injury, the former Pie – who is just 25 years old – has been robbed of opportunity. Keen to play on, he could be an asset for a team looking for an extra defender.

He will attempt to kickstart his AFL career back home in Adelaide, but the likes of the Western Bulldogs or even Carlton could also be on the lookout for a player such as Scharenberg.

WHICH CLUBS MIGHT SUIT: Adelaide, Port Adelaide

MARTIN GLEESON

Let go by the Bombers this week, there had been hope that the defender could be in line for a contract extension for 2021. The Bombers have told Gleeson and teammate Dylan Clarke that the intention is for them to be reinstated on the rookie list should they be available for the AFL rookie draft, and rightly so. After a breakout 2017, Gleeson missed all of 2018 due to a foot injury and played 13 games in 2020. Could be a handy asset for a number of teams.

WHICH CLUBS MIGHT SUIT: Essendon, Carlton

MASON WOOD

The delisted former Roos forward is determined to win a spot on an AFL list after he was one of a raft of Kangaroos players let go last month. His running is a key asset and he told AFL.com.au this week that he was working hard physically in an effort to at least get a gig training with a club in the pre-season.

As clubs wait to learn what lists will look like, Wood declared he had “a point to prove”, but would pursue a VFL career if he isn’t taken at the top level. But tall forwards who are also capable in defence don’t grow on trees, meaning there could be a few potential suitors once list sizes are confirmed.

WHICH CLUBS MIGHT SUIT: Sydney, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide

RILEY KNIGHT

At just 25, Knight was delisted by the Crows last month. He took his leadership to a new level in 2020 as he recovered from an Achilles injury, mentoring young midfielders. He managed just one game in what has been a rollercoaster few years, but with more opportunity could recapture the game that is capable of catching eyes.

WHICH CLUBS MIGHT SUIT: Hawthorn, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Essendon

Bulldog Joe
20-11-2020, 01:52 PM
How about the fact that for all the thousands of talented Indigenous players (and yes we have also had a crack by drafting a number of them in the past), Lewis Jetta made it. What about the fact that he comes from a traumatic childhood that had him living on the streets of Perth with his brother Neville to getting himself to training for pretty much his entire teenage years with very little parental support and guidance to eventually making it onto an AFL list? You don't think that is resilient?

Furthermore, Lewis has already undertaken countless development programs and every off-season flies to the Top End to coach and guide Indigenous teenagers teaching them what they need to do to make it at AFL level. So he's already in an Indigenous development program. Here's a quote about his most recent program at Exmouth in W.A and I quote...'the presentation was relevant, powerful and for some of students, will be quite life changing.' Also, Lewis has never once stepped out of line off-field.

Lastly, Lewis has managed to play over 200 games of AFL football, not many Indigenous players get anywhere near this and he has fronted up at AFL level preseason after preseason in order to achieve that. That's another example of resilience. I'm not sure where you get your information from but to suggest that Lewis Jetta has shown no leadership and no resilience throughout his AFL career is a frankly wrong Euro-centric perspective. As for leadership amongst his community, he stood up for his Indigenous heritage with his own war dance in 2015 which gave him massive kudos amongst the Aboriginal community across the country. Lewis Jetta would be a perfect candidate. Indigenous street kid makes good in the AFL, so can you. The Aboriginal community loves Lewis and so will Jamarra. He is a perfect citizen and role model. Look he's not Adam Goodes but he doesn't have to write the framework for our Indigenous program others can provide feedback on that he just needs to be the face of it, support it and be consulted on it. Ultimately he also needs to be a playing mentor for Jamarra. In the end the respect Lewis commands as an Indigenous person coupled with his easy going manner will be the best asset for integrating Indigenous talent into our club.

Whether he can still play or not is up for debate, but if he was willing to come over for a year on base salary to support a program he has previous experience with and add something on-field as well I'd be on the phone to his manager today.

Thanks for taking the trouble to provide that.

It does give me an entirely different perspective. I question why it is not more widely known.

Is that an issue with the media not providing that level of detail.

My comments on Lewis, were entirely from a football perspective, as I feel that he has seriously underperformed since 2012.

While he has played a relatively long career, he has just not come close to what he appeared capable of in 2012. After watching his performance throughout that season and Grand Final effort I felt he could be a top 10 player in the comp.

I concede my knowledge of his background is lacking and I can only see the situation from what I have known and observed.

I stand corrected.

Dancin' Douggy
20-11-2020, 01:57 PM
Is this fair dinkum? Wow.

Sydney Stack could be a delisting - could be worth looking at.

1eyedog
20-11-2020, 02:07 PM

It does give me an entirely different perspective. I question why it is not more widely known.

My comments on Lewis, were entirely from a football perspective, as I feel that he has seriously underperformed since 2012.

While he has played a relatively long career, he has just not come close to what he appeared capable of in 2012. After watching his performance throughout that season and Grand Final effort I felt he could be a top 10 player in the comp.

I concede my knowledge of his background is lacking and I can only see the situation from what I have known and observed.

I stand corrected.

We must view any potential program from an Indigenous perspective.

Mofra
20-11-2020, 03:42 PM

That is a brilliant post.
I had heard some things about Lewis overcoming adversity but didn't realise the scope of it until you laid it all out, cheers.

The Adelaide Connection
20-11-2020, 04:08 PM

Thanks for that. Amazing post.

It pales in comparison, but some might also remember he kicked 19 points before he finally kicked a goal. Despite the horror run he was on (that could have really destroyed him) I remember he never stopped backing himself in. That in itself takes some stones.

https://youtu.be/6EFcEBYQA0c

Rocket Science
20-11-2020, 04:14 PM

I stand corrected.

One suspects because the recent, and frankly on-going instances of Indigenous players daring to use their platform to voice anything meaningful have neither ended well nor covered the industry in glory.

Why wouldn't First Nations players simply prefer to fly under the radar rather than choosing to be targets for the worst elements in the game? It's tragic, wilfully short-sighted and demands nothing short of serious, sincere efforts at all levels of the industry to remedy.

Until then we'll have to make-do with self-serving stunts like the AFEL's 'Free the Flag' initiative because performative action is more palatable than real action and y'know MERCH.

It'll be a shame and a lost opportunity if we're unable to surround Jamarra with quality people driving a quality program. I hope PG's still chasing this as diligently as he was a year or two back.

bornadog
20-11-2020, 04:14 PM
We must view any potential program from an Indigenous perspective.

Terrific post 1eye, thankyou.

Please send it to the Club and get them on board.

The Adelaide Connection
20-11-2020, 04:31 PM
One suspects because the recent, and frankly on-going instances of Indigenous players daring to use their platform to voice anything meaningful have neither ended well nor covered the industry in glory.

Why wouldn't First Nations players simply prefer to fly under the radar rather than choosing to be targets for the worst elements in the game? It's tragic, wilfully short-sighted and demands nothing short of serious, sincere efforts at all levels of the industry to remedy.

Until then we'll have to make-do with self-serving stunts like the AFEL's 'Free the Flag' initiative because performative action is more palatable than real action and y'know MERCH.

It'll be a shame and a lost opportunity if we're unable to surround Jamarra with quality people driving a quality program. I hope PG's still chasing this as diligently as he was a year or two back.

Totally agree. It seems long overdue anyway, but if JUH is the generational talent everybody expects him to be then we should be leaving no stone unturned.

Essendon coming for Dunkley should be viewed as a shot across the bows. They, in particular, will definitely be coming hard for Bombers supporting JUH (probably already are in his ear).

1eyedog
20-11-2020, 05:29 PM
Terrific post 1eye, thankyou.

Please send it to the Club and get them on board.

I've sent it to the club and have received a response that it is being forwarded 'upstairs'. Will update you all if I get a response! I'm really keen to look after Jamarra. Man he is a talent, I really want a smooth transition for him and ultimately keep him a one club player. We have done all the hard work with him, it would be a shame if we neglect this one, last critical aspect.

bornadog
20-11-2020, 05:30 PM
I've sent it to the club and have received a response that it is being forwarded 'upstairs'. Will update you all if I get a response!

Cheers, nothing to lose, everything to gain.

The Doctor
20-11-2020, 06:13 PM
Kudos to 1eyedog & Bulldog Joe. Well played.

I mentioned a month or two back about bringing in Jetta for a season or two. If we keep Hayes I doubt we would.

I also don't mind Scharenberg from the list posted by Axeman. He has sure had his bad luck with injuries but he is a good player. I think his untimely injury in 2018 may have cost Collingwood the Grand Final. He had a great year.

Grantysghost
20-11-2020, 07:13 PM

I stand corrected.

This could be the most adult conversation I've read on the internet.
I forgot what they looked like. Great discussion really interesting read.

Bulldog Joe
20-11-2020, 07:40 PM
Kudos to 1eyedog & Bulldog Joe. Well played.

I mentioned a month or two back about bringing in Jetta for a season or two. If we keep Hayes I doubt we would.

I also don't mind Scharenberg from the list posted by Axeman. He has sure had his bad luck with injuries but he is a good player. I think his untimely injury in 2018 may have cost Collingwood the Grand Final. He had a great year.

A declining Jetta provides so much more than Hayes could ever be capable of, even if we are only considering onfield

bornadog
20-11-2020, 11:07 PM
Is this fair dinkum? Wow.

Rumour

EasternWest
21-11-2020, 09:07 AM

This is your finest work 1eye and contains a depth of information that I never knew or considered.

I'm now totally on board with the last paragraph. Not sure it will happen, but it makes plenty of sense.

bornadog
24-11-2020, 12:02 PM
SYDNEY has delisted Jackson Thurlow, Robbie Fox, Zac Foot and Sam Gray ahead of Wednesday's list lodgement deadline.

soupman
24-11-2020, 12:14 PM
SYDNEY has delisted Jackson Thurlow, Robbie Fox, Zac Foot and Sam Gray ahead of Wednesday's list lodgement deadline.

Interesting. Robbie Fox played a lot of footy this year including like the last 12 games in a row, and is a tallish defender at a club (not big enough for us btw) that just lost Aliir.

Also since having a 20 game 20 goal season in 2019 Sam Gray has been delisted twice. Thats a swift fall from grace.

Axe Man
24-11-2020, 01:50 PM
Interesting. Robbie Fox played a lot of footy this year including like the last 12 games in a row, and is a tallish defender at a club (not big enough for us btw) that just lost Aliir.

Also since having a 20 game 20 goal season in 2019 Sam Gray has been delisted twice. Thats a swift fall from grace.

Fox is stiff after playing 14/17 games, as you say.

Gray will likely get another chance at the Swans as he was contracted for 2021 and will be re-drafted in the rookie draft. He can go for a hattrick of delistings in a years time!

Mofra
25-11-2020, 09:58 AM
Robbie Fox will get picked up by another club, surely.

Axe Man
25-11-2020, 11:10 AM
If his body is right could be a bargain KPD.

Delisted North Melbourne forward Majak Daw is seeking a second chance at another AFL club (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/delisted-north-melbourne-forward-majak-daw-is-seeking-a-second-chance-at-another-afl-club/news-story/3e9679abaacb10cd95279e30b338388d)

Majak Daw is prepared to spend the summer training with an AFL club for a vacant rookie-list spot to prove he will do whatever it takes to reignite his career.

Daw was one of 11 North Melbourne players delisted by the Roos this year after his inspiring comeback from a 2018 fall from the Bolte Bridge.

A pectoral muscle injury delayed his 2020 return and he played only four games for the Roos as ex-Lion Josh Walker took his spot in defence alongside Robbie Tarrant and Ben McKay.

His manager Adam Ramanauskas told the Herald Sun on Tuesday Daw was more than prepared to spend the summer proving himself again at an AFL club.

There is no significant interest in 29-year-old Daw yet as clubs assess list spots, but a team that misses out on a certain type of player in the draft might decide to test out a player of his calibre over summer.

The league announced earlier this month it will again operate the supplementary selection period from January 6 with players able to train with teams up until the start of the AFL season.

They can participate in training, intra-club matches, practice matches and the Marsh Community Series as teams decide if they are worthy of elevation into lists.

Daw had been rated an elite intercept marker by Champion Data in 2018, but the Roos instead used him as a ruckman and forward in his quartet of games this year.

It is understood a frustrated Daw spoke a number of times during the season to senior coach Rhyce Shaw about playing as a key defender again.

But with Walker in solid form and the Roos keen to find out whether No. 21 draft selection McKay could make it in his fifth season in the AFL, he was instead shut-out of that position.

Lions coach Chris Fagan said on Tuesday he believed the intercept marking defender was the most important player in football given his capacity to set the game up for his side.

The first delisted player free agency period starts on Thursday and goes until the following day before the first list lodgements on November 30.

Then on Tuesday December 1 there is a second delisted player free agency period that lasts until the following day, with the national draft on December 9.

Delisted free agents include Heath Shaw, Jackson Trengove, Oscar McDonald, Lewis Jetta, Matt Scharenberg, Shane Savage, Jordan Gallucci, Mason Wood and Jacob Townsend.

Happy Days
25-11-2020, 11:16 AM
Sometimes I feel like I’m the only person in the world who actually watched Majak play last season/ever.

SquirrelGrip
25-11-2020, 11:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6lvq1P-lIg

bornadog
25-11-2020, 12:18 PM
Sometimes I feel like I’m the only person in the world who actually watched Majak play last season/ever.

Is he any good?

Happy Days
25-11-2020, 12:46 PM
Is he any good?

No. His athleticism is shot and his skills have badly deteriorated.

Axe Man
25-11-2020, 12:53 PM

I certainty had no desire to watch North this season, so no I didn't see him play. That's why I said if his body is right.

Perhaps he just needs more time to get over some pretty horrific injuries, or perhaps he will never be the same. I hope he gets the chance to train somewhere to prove his fitness one way or the other.

bornadog
25-11-2020, 03:59 PM
Collingwood delist midfielder Rupert Wills and defender Flynn Appleby and Beams officially gone.

Kade Kolodjashnij has retired from football - concussion issues.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-11-2020, 04:22 PM
Collingwood delist midfielder Rupert Wills and defender Flynn Appleby and Beams officially gone.

Kade Kolodjashnij has retired from football - concussion issues.

Wow that's really unfortunate for Kade. Taken the pick after Bont in the 2013 draft (by Gold Coast).

bulldogtragic
25-11-2020, 05:05 PM
We were very keen on indigenous speedster Cedric Cox. He wanted to WA who didn’t really need him. Now he’s a delisted free agent, I wonder if he’s still of any interest to us.

bornadog
26-11-2020, 10:48 AM
Richmond have delisted Derek Eggmolesse-Smith. Played 6 games this year.

Axe Man
26-11-2020, 11:20 AM
Richmond have delisted Derek Eggmolesse-Smith. Played 6 games this year.

Unlucky, in his second game of the season he had 23 touches and picked up 2 Brownlow votes!

I think he's a half back type so not a need for us but surely someone picks him up.

Axe Man
26-11-2020, 12:02 PM
So we ended up with 11 players moving on (with between 1 and 3 to return - Smith definite, Cavarra and Hayes maybes). Although this was partially forced we certainly seem to have been more ruthless than in the past.

Ben Cavarra (del)
Tory Dickson (ret)
Billy Gowers (del)
Fergus Greene (del)
Will Hayes (del)
Brad Lynch (del)
Callum Porter (del)
Roarke Smith (del)*
Matt Suckling (del)
Jackson Trengove (del)
Lachie Young (trd)

Dancin' Douggy
26-11-2020, 12:25 PM
I hope we're interested.
We were very keen on indigenous speedster Cedric Cox. He wanted to WA who didn’t really need him. Now he’s a delisted free agent, I wonder if he’s still of any interest to us.

GVGjr
26-11-2020, 12:38 PM
I hope we're interested.

I don't think he's what we need, he just hasn't progressed like he should have

bornadog
26-11-2020, 04:55 PM
Robbie Fox will get picked up by another club, surely.

Sydney have backflipped on delisting Robbie Fox after they were caught off guard by an AFL rule change.

ledge
30-11-2020, 02:58 PM
Langdon just retired at the Pies.

anfo27
30-11-2020, 10:16 PM
During the trade period my Carlton mate said we were showing interest in Macreadie. Didn't hear anything about it anywhere else so didn't think much of it. I see he has been delisted, would we have any interest seeing we need another defender?

jeemak
01-12-2020, 01:12 AM
During the trade period my Carlton mate said we were showing interest in Macreadie. Didn't hear anything about it anywhere else so didn't think much of it. I see he has been delisted, would we have any interest seeing we need another defender?

Looks mobile and tidy from his draft video....any other intel?

Axe Man
01-12-2020, 10:35 AM

Could be another Gardner type tall defender that we see something in. Although looks more of an interceptor and distributor than Ryan. Certainly has the height, not sure if he has bulked up over the last few years as was slight when drafted.

Apparently was fancied as a top 5 pick a year out from his 2016 draft but dropped in estimations in his final junior year so far that GWS didn't even match Carlton's bid at pick 47.

Only 1 AFL game in the past 3 seasons is concerning, looks like he has had some injury issues.

Could well be worth a punt as a rookie pick.

The Underdog
01-12-2020, 10:54 AM
Forgive me if this is a double up, but Swans have officially sacked Elijah Taylor. Not unsurprisingly.
He has some more consequences to deal with before he can think about playing football again.

bornadog
02-02-2021, 06:50 PM
Tom Scully has retired.

Dry Rot
03-02-2021, 12:22 AM
Tom Scully has retired.

He effectively did this a few years ago.

#1 pick dud.

jeemak
03-02-2021, 12:57 AM
He effectively did this a few years ago.

#1 pick dud.

He made the All Australian squad in 2016 and 2017, was actually a very very good player. Just injured at the wrong time of his career.

The Pie Man
03-02-2021, 08:18 AM
He made the All Australian squad in 2016 and 2017, was actually a very very good player. Just injured at the wrong time of his career.

Will always remember him not for his searing left peg, but for the missed 50m pen in the centre of the ground with 2 minutes left in that prelim.

What if.... and that question finally went our way

Mofra
03-02-2021, 09:12 AM
189 games is a solid return - pretty harsh assessment of his career in some quarters.
Will always be bewildered at why his dad was allowed to get a job with GWS though.

There might be a more players to retire before round 1 - Patton and Dyl Roberton are interesting cases.

jeemak
08-02-2021, 04:58 AM
Will always remember him not for his searing left peg, but for the missed 50m pen in the centre of the ground with 2 minutes left in that prelim.

What if.... and that question finally went our way

The umpires panel in the review were comfortable with the decision (see the video inserted into the article), but Christian clearly thought it was a fifty:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/55973/missed-50m-penalty-may-have-cost-greater-western-sydney-a-grand-final-berth

It could/ should have been paid when I can be comfortable knowing we have a premiership now........but the umpires make a really good point in that Scully jetted off the line straight away and as soon as they'd realised this all bets were off and play on was called.

Axe Man
16-04-2021, 04:39 PM
189 games is a solid return - pretty harsh assessment of his career in some quarters.
Will always be bewildered at why his dad was allowed to get a job with GWS though.

There might be a more players to retire before round 1 - Patton and Dyl Roberton are interesting cases.

Patton officially retired now. 2011 and 2013 number 1 draft picks by GWS and their key forward hopes for the long term now both retired (along with their number 2 pick from 2012 in O'Rourke). A real shame (for the players, not GWS, screw them).

bulldogtragic
16-04-2021, 05:08 PM
I’m pretty sure everyone on Fox Footy was calling the Hawthorn ‘brain trust’ ‘fantastic, I think a genius’ for over paying the salary to get Vickery as a free agent, and then again ‘fantastic, I think a genius’ for taking the salary dumps of Scully & Patton.

Hindsight is 20/20 sure, but I’d love the same folks to analyse what Hawthorn got for the circa $3.5M they’re out of pocket, for a combined 47 games.

bornadog
16-04-2021, 05:10 PM
Patton officially retired now. 2011 and 2013 number 1 draft picks by GWS and their key forward hopes for the long term now both retired (along with their number 2 pick from 2012 in O'Rourke). A real shame (for the players, not GWS, screw them).

Silly man with his indiscretions

Rocket Science
16-04-2021, 06:39 PM
My enduring memory of Patton is him falling all over all himself to verbal Tom Boyd during the '16 prelim.

Enjoy retirement you literal wanker.

comrade
16-04-2021, 06:54 PM
My enduring memory of Patton is him falling all over all himself to verbal Tom Boyd during the '16 prelim.

Also had a public crack at Boyd after he left the Giants. Karma's a bitch.

The Adelaide Connection
16-04-2021, 06:57 PM

I have a vague recollection that we were actually into Patton (not Boyd) but he did his knee and we moved on to Boyd. That is Matrix levels of bullets dodged.

Bulldog4life
21-05-2021, 11:06 AM
CATS TRIO URGED TO LOOK ELSEWHERE

A talented Geelong trio have been encouraged to explore their options as they continue to perform at the second-tier.

The Cats’ VFL side proved far too good for Coburg on Thursday night, winning by 57 points in a performance that underscored the capabilities of Darcy Fort, Charlie Constable and Jordan Clark.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2021-trade-whispers-latest-out-of-contract-free-agents-jake-stringer-essendon-geelong/news-story/8162c491c57e45d6bb738d43b3d1dd1e

comrade
21-05-2021, 02:17 PM

A talented Geelong trio have been encouraged to explore their options as they continue to perform at the second-tier.

The Cats’ VFL side proved far too good for Coburg on Thursday night, winning by 57 points in a performance that underscored the capabilities of Darcy Fort, Charlie Constable and Jordan Clark.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2021-trade-whispers-latest-out-of-contract-free-agents-jake-stringer-essendon-geelong/news-story/8162c491c57e45d6bb738d43b3d1dd1e

I don't mind Clark, surprised they'd push him out the door.

GVGjr
21-05-2021, 02:21 PM
I don't mind Clark, surprised they'd push him out the door.

I think Clark could be a 150 game player at the right club.
I could also see Constable slotting into a HBF role.

They should both be able to find other homes.

comrade
21-05-2021, 02:29 PM
I think Clark could be a 150 game player at the right club.
I could also see Constable slotting into a HBF role.

They should both be able to find other homes.

He's a good runner, can see him going somewhere and performing like Ed Langdon.

Mofra
21-05-2021, 02:48 PM

I listened to the broadcast, it was far more subtle and nuanced than people telling them to leave

Fort looked good, really good. I'd be comfortable welcoming him back.