PDA

View Full Version : Josh Schache has fallen down coach Luke Beveridge’s pecking order

GVGjr
20-09-2020, 10:49 AM
Western Bulldogs forward Josh Schache (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/western-bulldogs-forward-josh-schache-has-fallen-down-coach-luke-beveridges-pecking-order-and-jamarra-uglehagan-is-on-the-way/news-story/96c7e4fe28c69ace45f855209ce511b9) has fallen down coach Luke Beveridge’s pecking order and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is on the way

Josh Schache has played just two games this year, and the reason he has fallen out of favour has been laid bare. But what will the Western Bulldogs forward line of the future look like with the next Lance Franklin joining them?

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/38a0c0aef0d35dc59348e92f1d0eab80?width=1024

For a second it sounded like Western Bulldogs football director Chris Grant was describing Nick Riewoldt.

“He’s a fantastic endurance runner,” Grant said.

“He’s got beautiful hands (and) he kicks the ball magnificently — both in field kicking and at goal.

“There’s no doubt athletically, and ability, and skill, and those types of things (he) has in spades.”

Instead Grant was talking about Josh Schache, and the appraisal came on SEN pre-game radio in Round 6.

Schache had just been dropped after Jacob Weitering, the only player selected before him in the 2015 draft, kept the former Brisbane Lion to two disposals in Round 5.

Schache has not played since, and Grant provided a stunning insight as to why the Bulldogs had cooled on him.

“The physical nature of the game tests you out,” Grant said.

“He’s got to work through that ability to work off his opponent and be aggressive, both in the air and when he needs to be against his opponent.

“That’s the challenge for him.”

Schache is 23 with 68 goals from 56 matches. It would be understandable if Grant’s patience wore thin quicker than most, given the Daylesford boy booted 51 goals as a 17-year-old in his debut AFL season.

But Grant said in his day defenders were the “triers” — players with more heart than athleticism — whereas now that has flipped.

“They don’t give you a chance — so if you don’t take up the physical nature of the game it’s going to be pretty difficult,” he said.

Coach Luke Beveridge has gone all-in on the Aaron Naughton-Josh Bruce partnership, with the Dogs thrilled that Geelong’s defenders didn’t take a single intercept mark in their forward line in Round 15.

“We”ve been over the moon with the contest our bigger forwards have given us,” Beveridge said.

Schache is unquestionably talented. But after listening to Grant and Beveridge it is also clear where he stands in the selection queue.

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/1d866313a65473aa8b3f21b5c4608a48?width=1024

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan — the 194cm teenager with a habit of jumping on people’s heads in games — is about to jump into that queue when he is drafted by the Dogs.

“What Jamarra showed at training looked very impressive,” Naughton said from Ugle-Hagan’s stint over summer.

“He’s obviously super athletic and his leap and speed is something a lot of players aren’t gifted with.

“He’s someone that’s very professional, doing extras with craft and at such a young age he wasn’t embarrassed to ask questions of coaches.

“Hopefully we get him and then up forward it might be a pretty nice time.”

Recruiters reckon the Naughton-Ugle-Hagan partnership will be perfect for modern football.

“They’re two forwards who are mobile and come to the ball … it’s going to be fantastic,” one expert said.

“You can’t have a forward with a lack of mobility anymore, where if you don’t mark it you’re out of the game and you can’t put on defensive pressure.

“You want those hot balls, but when the ball hits the ground you’re back on to it.

“To have two of those with the way they attack the ball in the air, it means you just don’t get out-marked in your forward 50m.”

The Bulldogs give up 5.3 intercept marks on average in their forward 50m this season, ranked 15th, albeit by a narrow margin.
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is the Hampden boy and Scotch College student who Bulldogs fans can get excited out.

Perhaps when Ugle-Hagan and Naughton are firing it’ll be closer to clubhouse leader West Coast’s 4.1 in an area Beveridge rates.

Ugle-Hagan hasn’t played this year.

But even the way the mercurial left-footer read the flight of the ball at Paul Connors’ draft camp on the Mornington Peninsula recently dropped jaws.

Not so long ago it was Schache who was setting tongues wagging.

The likeable boy from Seymour is contracted until 2022 and still has plenty of time to prove himself by growing the aggressive streak that Grant has asked for.

Things can change quickly in football.

In 2017, minutes after Schache became a Bulldog, Grant was asked whether Tom Boyd and he could coexist.

“We see a great combination between both those players, but also ‘Roughy’ (Jordan Roughead) in the ruck, so we’re really well placed,” Grant said.

Boyd has retired, Roughead is playing full-back for Collingwood and Schache is playing scratch matches because Bruce and key defender Naughton arrived ... and Ugle-Hagan is on the way.

Hotdog60
20-09-2020, 11:11 AM
Will JUH make a quick impact as he has had basically a year off football. We might not see him in action until late into next season if at all depending on how outside influences go.
With Schache if he was told last year he needed to be more aggressive or assertive in the contest and this hasn't come through so may be that's the clutch of the matter and scratch matches can't give him the necessary environment to practice his aggression.

GVGjr
20-09-2020, 11:24 AM
Will JUH make a quick impact as he has had basically a year off football. We might not see him in action until late into next season if at all depending on how outside influences go.
With Schache if he was told last year he needed to be more aggressive or assertive in the contest and this hasn't come through so may be that's the clutch of the matter and scratch matches can't give him the necessary environment to practice his aggression.

We shouldn't be putting too many expectations of Ugle-Hagan next year. He has missed a lot of development this year

Rocket Science
20-09-2020, 01:10 PM
Even if Jamarra needs a season or two to acclimate which you'd assume is highly likely, there's still no role for Schache.

But there's a few clubs currently undertaking some deep Spring cleaning that'd have some interest you'd think.

Bulldog4life
20-09-2020, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't give up on Josh just yet. I would also like him to train with the defenders over summer. You never know...

ledge
20-09-2020, 01:20 PM
The plus with no games for Jamarra is he has had the chance to build his body in the gym and watch and learn what the clubs roles and game plan is for him and learn running patterns etc.
And no injury !

HOSE B ROMERO
20-09-2020, 02:00 PM
With Jamarra having been on our radar for the last few years, the media and a lot of our supporters are going to be expecting a lot. Definitely the most anticipated arrival for a long time. No pressure mate...

ratsmac
20-09-2020, 04:58 PM
I really hope Schache can get his mongrel going. He has the attributes that Grant mentioned that we could use. We know that knows how to kick goals in the big league which isn't very easy, it's just his timid nature holding him back. He's such a beautiful kick of the ball either field kicking or goal kicking. I'm actually shocked when he misses one.

3 pronged forward lines aren't common because of ball retention inside 50 but if JUH is good defensively when the ball hits the ground like Naughton and Schache can grow that side of his game some what then maybe there's a future for him at Whitten oval.

The only other role I see for Josh if JUH comes along as we hope is a high half forward using his good tank getting up the ground. Again though he has to be stronger in the contest to be able to take more contested marks or he won't last at the top level.

Its frustrating really because the same issues that were apparent when he first arrived are the same issues holding him back now.

DOG GOD
20-09-2020, 05:47 PM
Maybe Josh just doesn’t have it in him?

macca
20-09-2020, 10:02 PM
I wouldn't give up on Josh just yet. I would also like him to train with the defenders over summer. You never know... maybe he needs to ask Liam Jones what he did to turn the corner ? Carlton were about to give up on him and throwing him back was the last option before delisting . Liam now has become a highly valued player in their team
Instead of the disdain he use to cop from the carlton fans

I would be sad to give up on a talent like schache where he has not achieved his potential

Mofra
21-09-2020, 10:02 AM
The plus with no games for Jamarra is he has had the chance to build his body in the gym and watch and learn what the clubs roles and game plan is for him and learn running patterns etc.
And no injury !
Recent photos indicate he's been doing just that. Even the photos from the start of this year to the past few weeks look substantially different.

He may take a little time but could be playing a Bailey Dale type role at the end of next year. He's probably a few years off playing as a legitimate KPF though.

BornInDroopSt'54
21-09-2020, 11:05 AM
Schache v Wallis is a classic comparison. The former gifted with skills and an ideal frame, the latter not highly skilled but with a magnificent character that gets the best from himself.
Forget JUH next year, it is Schache who has the chance to impact. Or even these finals with all our forwards under a cloud atm. Maybe Schache would agree to an ECT because at this point it seems like a Stringer moment; Josh pull the finger out or Bevo will counsel you as you leave.

Bulldog4life
21-09-2020, 01:12 PM
maybe he needs to ask Liam Jones what he did to turn the corner ? Carlton were about to give up on him and throwing him back was the last option before delisting . Liam now has become a highly valued player in their team
Instead of the disdain he use to cop from the carlton fans

I would be sad to give up on a talent like schache where he has not achieved his potential

I was thinking of Jones when I posted it.

josie
23-09-2020, 11:23 PM
I’d be sad too. Was very happy we got him. Such a lovely kick for goal. Hope he stays on our list next year and turns it around.

Bulldog4life
24-09-2020, 09:33 AM
I’d be sad too. Was very happy we got him. Such a lovely kick for goal. Hope he stays on our list next year and turns it around.

Me too. I don't think the hub life would have been the best for Josh. He was initially keen to get into Victoria from Brisbane Lions to be close to his parents and family. Hopefully next year with the VFL back he will get the opportunity to show that he can do what Bevo wants....in the firsts or seconds on a weekly basis.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-09-2020, 09:47 AM
Schache had just been dropped after Jacob Weitering, the only player selected before him in the 2015 draft, kept the former Brisbane Lion to two disposals in Round 5.

Schache has not played since, and Grant provided a stunning insight as to why the Bulldogs had cooled on him.

“He’s got to work through that ability to work off his opponent and be aggressive, both in the air and when he needs to be against his opponent.

Schache is 23 with 68 goals from 56 matches. It would be understandable if Grant’s patience wore thin quicker than most, given the Daylesford boy booted 51 goals as a 17-year-old in his debut AFL season.

But Grant said in his day defenders were the “triers” — players with more heart than athleticism — whereas now that has flipped.

“They don’t give you a chance — so if you don’t take up the physical nature of the game it’s going to be pretty difficult,” he said.

These bolded bits, make it really clear why Schache has been left out. It confirms that if you're a tall forward and you can't bring a physical component to your game, you're moving back in the queue.
Schache has some work to do if he wants to make it here.

1eyedog
24-09-2020, 10:07 AM

These bolded bits, make it really clear why Schache has been left out. It confirms that if you're a tall forward and you can't bring a physical component to your game, you're moving back in the queue.
Schache has some work to do if he wants to make it here.

We knew this about him yet were still prepared to give Essington the two second rounders we got for Stringer. I don't think we're prepared to give up on him just yet.

Personally I wouldn't even be playing him as key forward.

bornadog
24-09-2020, 10:17 AM
We knew this about him yet were still prepared to give Essington the two second rounders we got for Stringer. I don't think we're prepared to give up on him just yet.

We also ended up with Richards in that trade of pics

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-09-2020, 10:17 AM

I don't think we're going to necessarily give up on him either, unless of course another club were to make an offer, that might help us secure someone else we want to add to the list this off season.

Go_Dogs
26-09-2020, 08:35 AM
There’s certainly still time for Schache, but I suspect it’s hard to get back in the side if we have a healthy list. I actually don’t mind the idea of playing him as a defender.

If we have to make significant list changes, could he be in the gun?

GVGjr
26-09-2020, 10:10 AM
There’s certainly still time for Schache, but I suspect it’s hard to get back in the side if we have a healthy list. I actually don’t mind the idea of playing him as a defender.

It would almost be wrong not to shop him around especially with some other key forward movements
I still rate him and I hope we just work really hard with him to address his physicality in a contest but you would have to think he's a long way back in the pecking order so we might be able to trade him and get something reasonable rather than having him as a depth player

DOG GOD
26-09-2020, 11:06 AM

Will North come knocking ?

Hotdog60
26-09-2020, 11:10 AM
Will North come knocking ?

Could we swap him with Brown? They would be similar players only Brown would be harder at it.
Brown likes to lead Aaron likes to jump and Bruce can float around half forward.

jeemak
26-09-2020, 04:53 PM
Could we swap him with Brown? They would be similar players only Brown would be harder at it.
Brown likes to lead Aaron likes to jump and Bruce can float around half forward.

I don't think Brown is the type of player we'd target. He's not really able to do anything once the ball hits the deck, and he's not really able to play anywhere else other than as a leading full forward.

It's highly likely the league has seen the best of Ben Brown, we should be developing Schache and JUH rather than bringing Brown in.

Happy Days
26-09-2020, 08:00 PM
If we get Brown I’m out.

bulldogtragic
10-12-2020, 01:51 AM
I wonder if Martin & English will play together. You’d think so and English up forward works for us with his marking.

Say Jamarra & Naughton have the best balance with Bruce fighting for a spot with pride to force out the pups.

Do we leave Josh fighting, or with his endurance move him to the wing using his foot skills and more uncontested marking? Or look at maybe a third tall type role, with athletic ability and extra height over his opponent. Down there with Keath, Gardner, Young & Wood.

I’m still backing the kid, but we now have choices and options to move the magnets around with our talls and mids, post trade and draft.

jeemak
10-12-2020, 02:33 AM
I wonder if Martin & English will play together. You’d think so and English up forward works for us with his marking.

Say Jamarra & Naughton have the best balance with Bruce fighting for a spot with pride to force out the pups.

Do we leave Josh fighting, or with his endurance move him to the wing using his foot skills and more uncontested marking? Or look at maybe a third tall type role, with athletic ability and extra height over his opponent. Down there with Keath, Gardner, Young & Wood.

I’m still backing the kid, but we now have choices and options to move the magnets around with our talls and mids, post trade and draft.

I was thinking we needed some bait to get Danjul into more discussion this week.

Schache should be eyeing Bruce's spot in the team, but not really the same role (i.e. if Bruce is out then Schache comes in and we change the set up a bit). The reality is he needs to get stronger so he can help in the ruck. For mine he's great running around a paddock but isn't quick enough over 5-10m or by hand and foot to be able to play further up the ground at the coalface.

dog town
10-12-2020, 05:38 AM
In my view Schache best chance next year is if we move Naughton to defence. I can’t see any way that he fits in without a change in philosophy for the same reasons I said he wouldn’t play before last years season.

I actually hope I’m wrong he seems to have applied himself well and was generally able to have some impact the year before. Bit of a victim of our inability to defend turnover as a team. We just can’t afford to have a cumbersome tall that doesn’t play with the corresponding tall attributes.

Even if there was a change of heart on Bruce, he now has English and Marra to contend with as well.

azabob
10-12-2020, 07:52 AM
I was thinking we needed some bait to get Danjul into more discussion this week.

Schache should be eyeing Bruce's spot in the team, but not really the same role (i.e. if Bruce is out then Schache comes in and we change the set up a bit). The reality is he needs to get stronger so he can help in the ruck. For mine he's great running around a paddock but isn't quick enough over 5-10m or by hand and foot to be able to play further up the ground at the coalface.

Unless BT has gone back 99,999,999 posts he may have missed Danjul views on the ruck and Schache

bornadog
10-12-2020, 10:23 AM
In my view Schache best chance next year is if we move Naughton to defence. I can’t see any way that he fits in without a change in philosophy for the same reasons I said he wouldn’t play before last years season.

I actually hope I’m wrong he seems to have applied himself well and was generally able to have some impact the year before. Bit of a victim of our inability to defend turnover as a team. We just can’t afford to have a cumbersome tall that doesn’t play with the corresponding tall attributes.

Even if there was a change of heart on Bruce, he now has English and Marra to contend with as well.

or Bruce to defence?

BornInDroopSt'54
15-12-2020, 03:39 PM
Watch this space.
In Bevo we trust, even if we disagree...

Bulldog4life
19-12-2020, 10:54 AM
New start for Josh 2021. I hope he applies some aggression to his play. I still remain optimistic for him.