PDA

View Full Version : Western Oval Memories

ledge
04-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Does anyone remember the famous peanut seller ? "peanuts, shilling a bag!" I think he was at every Williamstown game as well. He strolled around the outer with his big brown bag over his shoulder.
I also remember the league trying to kick him out for selling food and not having the rights to, but the people kicked up a stink they gave in and let him back.
Other memories, drinking cans quickly so u could stack them up to stand on them and get a better view.
Running onto the ground at quarter time breaks , having a kick or milling around the players and listen to the coaches speech.
I remember not paying to sit in the stand, first in best seat.
As a 12 year old me and my best freind Zeno kicking goals from centre half forward after a game until it got dark.
Standing in the outer watching fans scream at Mick Malthouse after he just moved to Westcoast and he had to hide in that box upstairs.
Trying to ring the Coon Dog back in 77 to go watch bulldogs and saints, couldnt get hold of him so went to see polly woodside with parents, Templeton kicked 15, i will never forgive you for not answering your phone Coon Dog!

The Coon Dog
04-03-2008, 10:23 PM
I went to that game against the Saints! Bloody ripper too, funny, I've never been to the Polly Woodside.

Remember a game against the Saints when Robert Elphinstone walked past & being a young smartarse I told him Templeton was going to carve him up. KT, playing at CHF took 20 marks (not uncontested ones you see these days) & had 30 kicks.

I used to catch the bus in South Road, Braybrook & get off on the corner of Barkly Street & Gordon Street, buy the footy record on the way in & race up into the EJ Whitten Stand, where as you rightly point out, seating was free.

I used to love to go the the souviner stall under the stand & buy the iron on names for my duffel coat.

These were the days when the reserves played so you got there early (there was a reason), & watched the seconds, as well as hanging around the entrance between the 2 stands so that when the senior players came in you could get their autograph.

I remember sliding down the stones on cardboard boxes.

I once watched a game from the coaches box used by Michael Malthouse. A friend of mine hired it out for a couple of seasons. Great view, but bloody scary going up & down the ladder.

Who could ever forget the Hyde Street School Band? They used to go around at half time along with a group who had a huge blanket. People used to throw coins onto the blanket.

It was a great bus trip home if we won, not so good if we lost!

Sorry I didn't answer the phone! :o

Mofra
04-03-2008, 10:39 PM
As a 12 year old me and my best freind Zeno kicking goals from centre half forward after a game until it got dark.
That wouldn't be a much-loved (now) former full-back by any chance? Surely there aren't that many Zenos floating around outside of Athens?

I used to really enjoy the crowd banter at WO, never heard anything that compares. I also remember the Hyde Street band carrying the blanket, although a few of them probably needed crash-helmuts on the outer against the rowdier opposition (as 50c coin in the noggin must hurt like buggery).

One of my favourite memories was the "bouncers" who used to guard the players race after a game to stop fans from getting into the rooms too early. My dad's friend leant over one game and yelld "righto, let em in" and the bouncers did, realising their mistake just a fraction of a second too late. The look on his face was priceless!

The Glen Coleman goalpost incident was another favourite, as was Jason Watt's late goal against Freo (also a cultural day from memory) which gave us a win.

Another goal I'll never forget was Osbourne from around the players race. He motioned for someone to lead, but no forward get a clear run. He just ran back and unleashed a mighty torp that sailed straight through.

One of the sadder memories was Choco on crutches at the start of a game, waving the crowd goodbye stranded on 199 games, 299 goals. Most people would've had him carried out there just to get to his 200, but like Bubbha's retiremnet decision on 298 games with finals to play, Chocho was never that selfish (when a shot on goal wasn't concerned!)

ledge
04-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Yeah Moffra it was our old full back, Zeno, CoonDog and i all went to primary school together, we were pretty close all through out.We also all played cricket at Totty along with a few others who went on to play at the doggies... Phil Okeefe, Brian Wilson,Hugh Litchfield, Alistair Ford and Darren Brown.
Maybe even a couple of others whos names escape me, but maybe not.

The Coon Dog
04-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Yeah Moffra it was our old full back, Zeno, CoonDog and i all went to primary school together, we were pretty close all through out.We also all played cricket at Totty along with a few others who went on to play at the doggies... Phil Okeefe, Brian Wilson,Hugh Litchfield, Alistair Ford and Darren Brown.

John Simmons (Simmo, real original huh?) played cricket with us. His brother Grant wore #29 in the early 70's & got so badly cleaned up by Leigh Matthews at Waverley, he thought he'd killed him. He was convulsing on the field.

I remember playing cricket against Colin Dell, Robert Saggers, Ian Fairley & Tony Pastore.

bornadog
04-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Best memory was meeting the same mates in the same spot ie between the players and umpires race. Most of the guys were ex school mates. We got to know a lot of people around us because I think most supporters went to the same spot each week.

Slowly the guys got married and started dropping off, so a few of us joined the social club and met at the can bar:D Great view from up there.

Sockeye Salmon
05-03-2008, 10:14 AM
I used to really enjoy the crowd banter at WO, never heard anything that compares. I also remember the Hyde Street band carrying the blanket, although a few of them probably needed crash-helmuts on the outer against the rowdier opposition (as 50c coin in the noggin must hurt like buggery).

We played a pre-season charity match v Collingwood at Waverley to raise money for the Ash Wednesday bushfire victims in 1982. I was roped into helping carry the blanket for donations and copped a 50c piece above my left eye. 6 stitches, thanks for helping.

Mofra
05-03-2008, 07:51 PM

O'Keefe, he was a forward with tattoos was he not? Certainly remember Al Ford

The Coon Dog
05-03-2008, 08:02 PM
O'Keefe, he was a forward with tattoos was he not? Certainly remember Al Ford

Yup he was.

Once told me that Terry Wallace addressed all the younger guys & said there's 3 reasons you need to succeed at AFL level. 1. You owe it to your families who have been there with you all the way, 2 you owe it to your team mates who go out to war with you every week & 3 think about how many roots you'll get!

katemeehan
08-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Wow...reading this makes me really wish I was alive back in those days, sounds awesome!

Desipura
13-03-2008, 02:20 PM
I went to that game against the Saints! Bloody ripper too, funny, I've never been to the Polly Woodside.

Remember a game against the Saints when Robert Elphinstone walked past & being a young smartarse I told him Templeton was going to carve him up. KT, playing at CHF took 20 marks (not uncontested ones you see these days) & had 30 kicks.

I used to catch the bus in South Road, Braybrook & get off on the corner of Barkly Street & Gordon Street, buy the footy record on the way in & race up into the EJ Whitten Stand, where as you rightly point out, seating was free.

I used to love to go the the souviner stall under the stand & but the iron on names for my duffel coat.

These were the days when the reserves played so you got there early (there was a reason0, & watched the seconds, as well as hanging around the entrance between the 2 stands so that when the senior players came in you could get their autograph.

I once watched a game from the coaches box used by Michael Malthouse. A friend of mine hired it out for a couple of seasons. Great view, but bloody scary going up & down the ladder.

Who could ever forget the Hyde Street School Band? They used to go around at half time along with a group who had a huge blanket. People used to throw coins onto the blanket.

Sorry I didn't answer the phone! :o
Not everyone used to throw coins, hey I was a fair bit younger:D

westdog54
13-03-2008, 02:39 PM
We played a pre-season charity match v Collingwood at Waverley to raise money for the Ash Wednesday bushfire victims in 1982. I was roped into helping carry the blanket for donations and copped a 50c piece above my left eye. 6 stitches, thanks for helping.

Be grateful, you join Twodogs in the elite group that has shed blood on the Whitten Oval.

Mofra
13-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Be grateful, you join Twodogs in the elite group that has shed blood on the Whitten Oval.

What about shedding blood in the stands? I tore the sleeves out of 5-6 jackets on the rusty barbed wire over the players race (and on a couple of occasions, my arms as well); I used to stand on the concrete rise so I was head-height with the adults.

craigsahibee
30-03-2008, 04:42 AM
[QUOTE=The Coon Dog;27428]I went to that game against the Saints! Bloody ripper too, funny, I've never been to the Polly Woodside.

I used to love to go the the souviner stall under the stand & but the iron on names for my duffel coat.

These were the days when the reserves played so you got there early (there was a reason0, & watched the seconds, as well as hanging around the entrance between the 2 stands so that when the senior players came in you could get their autograph.

Sorry I didn't answer the phone! :o[/Mocca Dunstan kicked 7 that day also and Ian Morrison kicked one running the length of the ground from full back. Does anyone remember the ground being invaded by fans and coaches before the siren went?]

craigsahibee
30-03-2008, 04:46 AM
When the Hyde Street School Band came around, the trick was to position yourself just short of the single row seat that went around the perimeter of the fence and catch all the short throws coming from the back of the terrace. We used to stand in the drill hall pocket where the bar was just behind us and all the pissed blokes would unleash their change at half time and almost always it wall fall a long way short of the tartan blanket. Happy days

strebla
06-05-2008, 04:23 PM
bucky shepparbottom played with us at totty aswell boys under 16 and 3rds

Bumper Bulldogs
06-05-2008, 10:52 PM
I remember the peanut man and that's all i ever heard him say. The hide street band was a classic as I was only a young one back then and it was always good to see a bit of skirt at half time.
Also I use to go and watch the U19 while the dogs played away, occasionally got an orange or drink from the trainer.
But the best memory was collecting the cans after the game and then going to buy those hot donuts with the money. Use to be very upset if they hadn't any left by the time we got up to the van.

Desipura
07-05-2008, 09:31 AM
I remember one player in the u19s Des Hicks wearing the no 58 jumper. Dont ask me why I remember just him. Funny thing happened last yr, whilst reading the local paper I see a photo of a park ranger in Werribee named Des Hicks. The article went on to say that he played u19's. Just thought I would share this spooky story with you all.

bornadog
07-05-2008, 09:58 AM
I remember one player in the u19s Des Hicks wearing the no 58 jumper. Dont ask me why I remember just him. Funny thing happened last yr, whilst reading the local paper I see a photo of a park ranger in Werribee named Des Hicks. The article went on to say that he played u19's. Just thought I would share this spooky story with you all.

I never saw much of the u19's, but plenty of the reserves. We usually arrived at the ground just after half time for the reserves and watch the second half before the main match. I think the U19's played at the away ground when the main game was at home.

I do miss watching the reserves. Going down to watch the VFL these days isnot as good as watching your own club.

Twodogs
07-05-2008, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=The Coon Dog;27428]I Does anyone remember the ground being invaded by fans and coaches before the siren went?]

I've got a DVD of the last 1/4 of that game. Templeton takes a mark, goes back to have a shot and as he's walking in to kick a little kid strolls up, taps him on the back and sticks an autograph book under his nose. Doug Hawkins is standing there trying to get people of the ground, spots a mate and walks over and shakes his hand.

I still dont know how no-one was ever killed or maimed running onto the ground back then. Geez it was fun though.

Twodogs
07-05-2008, 10:49 AM
What about shedding blood in the stands? I tore the sleeves out of 5-6 jackets on the rusty barbed wire over the players race (and on a couple of occasions, my arms as well); I used to stand on the concrete rise so I was head-height with the adults.

I've shed blood on both sides of the fence.

Twodogs
07-05-2008, 10:56 AM

Both my kids go to Hyde street-which is called Footscray City Primary School now-and both would like to thank you for your sacrifice.

Well they would if they knew about it.

The Underdog
07-05-2008, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=craigsahibee;30988]

I've got a DVD of the last 1/4 of that game. Templeton takes a mark, goes back to have a shot and as he's walking in to kick a little kid strolls up, taps him on the back and sticks an autograph book under his nose. Doug Hawkins is standing there trying to get people of the ground, spots a mate and walks over and shakes his hand.

I still dont know how no-one was ever killed or maimed running onto the ground back then. Geez it was fun though.

I still have great memories of running onto the ground. Imagine if someone gets to 100 goals this year. Can you see the crowd just tearing over the fence to mob them?
Have awesome memories of kicking the footy on the ground after the game, nothing more amazing than running onto the ground patting your favourite players on the back then taking your footy and putting a snap through the (what seemed like) enormous goalposts.

Speaking of shedding blood at the footy, although it wasn't at the WO, but at the Junction Oval, my brother managed to slice open his eyelid on a piece of wire poking out from an old fence at the scoreboard end. Left that game early and spent the afternoon at the Royal Children's. Back in the days before mobiles, so mum was at home getting pissed off cos she thought dad had gone off to the pub with us after the game and that's why we were so late. I was just annoyed at my bro cos we had to leave the footy early.

LostDoggy
07-05-2008, 05:20 PM

I really miss being able to do that.

1eyedog
07-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Climbing up and down the rocks at the Geelong Road end (all day in a footscray jumper 3 sizes too big for me). Got invited up into the main scoreboard to trade some of my 1980 Scanlen footy cards with the 16 year old operator. That was a real highlight.

westdog54
07-05-2008, 08:40 PM
I've shed blood on both sides of the fence.

I was there when it was on the turf!! Geez that was a good game of RecFooty.

Wasn't it still weeping the next week?

Anyhoo, as for my Whitten Oval memories, I had one come to me yesterday.

It was around 1992 or so and we were playing StKilda, one of our players put up a long kick to HF, just inside 50 on the Gordon St side, and waiting under it were 2 StKilda players. My sentence went something along the lines of "Oh who has he kicked that to... DOUGIEEEEEEEE!!!"

The Hawk flew above the pack, took an absolute ripper mark, and then went back and duly slotted the kick. Was a ripper.

LostDoggy
03-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Every time a head out past the WO, I can still feel the sensation of the wet and frozen VB can in my hand in the last game against the Eagles. (Although I do remember that my hand was frozen, I don't really still feel the sensation but it makes for better reading:p).

My fondess memory from that day however is of the chant that rang out across the Doug Hawkins wing..... "Matera's a wanker..............Matera's a wanker..............Matera's a wanker" after Billy whacked him across the chops and he cried to the umpire.

I have made mention of this to lots of other people and no-one else has the same vivid memory of this chant. Does anyone else here remember it or did I drink to many VB's.???

Totally unrelated to WO, my other vivid memory is also of a chant. This time however it was in the Southern Stand, 1998 prelim late in the game. The seats were sold in bays/block of supporters and with Adelaide supporters to my left and to my right the chant "Were in the final.(clap, clap, clap, clap, clap)...Were in the final (clap,clap, clap, clap, clap)" does truly still haunt me.

I do subscribe to the theory that the pen is mightier than the sword, however on that day if a sword had of been handy I would have rivaled Martin Bryant for the head count.

LostDoggy
05-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Standing right behind Ozzie, as he let loose with a massive barrel.

Never forget that.

KT31
06-12-2010, 12:44 AM
1985 anouncer after the game " Footscray are now for the in time in ( please TCD insert ) on top of the ladder".
It was the first time in a long time and really the first time as a Doggies fan we had any hope of winning the flag.

The Adelaide Connection
06-12-2010, 01:29 AM
I would love to see a preseason game played there (perhaps one of the NAB challenge games should we get knocked out of the cup). It would make a lot more sense than playing at Princess Park, would probably draw a bigger crowd, and would be a nice money spinner for the club.

merantau
15-07-2015, 12:34 PM
I could write a book on Western Oval (Whitten Oval) memories. I saw my first game there in 1956. It was Charlie Sutton's last game at the ground. I remember the Peanut Man with his ginormous bag of peanuts, the peppercorns, collecting Boon Spa bottles and cashing them in, getting off the bus and walking past the Tweddle Baby Hospital and the Drill Hall, rushing into the ground to get a good spot, the Hyde Street Band, the mounted policeman and women, the race results going up on the scoreboard, the half-time scores from other games too, the endless procession of vehicles crossing Mt Mistake, the guys who used to set up a barbeque on the railway foot bridge and sell snags, the can bar below the Whitten Stand, the gamut of emotions felt during a game, the roar of the crowd, the crush of the crowd exiting the ground all eager to get on the first bus back to Braybrook and points further west.
And then there were the games. I remember carving up Fitzroy in 1958. We were rock bottom and they were in the four. We won by 15 goals. One of the trainers stood in front of the grandstand and waved a towel for what seemed like the entire last quarter. Ray Baxter came on in the last quarter and kicked three goals. I remember Ted Whitten coping an elbow in the guts from Alan Morrow as they contested a boundary throw-in in front of the grandstand. The eruption of vitriol directed at Morrow was volcanic. We won the game. I loved standing out in the elements barracking for the Dogs. One of my favourite games was against Carlton when we kept them goalless until the 27 minute mark of the last quarter. Mark Arceri got a very dubious free kick paid against Super at the Geelong Road end. I was very close to it and there was no way he was collected high. It was an absolutely freezing day. Rain pelted down in the second half. The ground was awash but, by god, did you feel proud of the players for the effort they put in. Libber was an absolute Titan in the wet. The nonpareil wet weather footballer. I drove down from Bendigo to the last game against West Coast. It was snowing at Leonards Hill. (I took the scenic route via Daylesford) Famous last victory at the ground. I'm sure Michael Gardiner will never forget it! The last home and away game in '61 against Geelong was epic. Ted Whitten kicked two drop kick goals in the second quarter which Lou Richards said, in Monday's Sun 'went 85 yards' Truly, they were the two longest goals I ever saw kicked. He was out on the EJ Smith Stand side of the ground I remember this Geelong supporter saying, "Look at the idiot. He's going to have a shot!" Me, a 12 year old kid snapped back, "He'll kick it!" And he did. Can you imagine how I felt when I said to the bloke, 'Who's an idiot now?' And then a few minutes later he did it again. We won the game and the rest is history. I remember a young bloke who used to stand in front of the EJ Whitten. He was very funny. Had a deep voice. Felt Simon Beasley lacked mongrel, not courage. Whenever Beeser got near an opponent he'd bellow, "You're an animal Beasley. You'll hurt someone one day you mongrel!" All in jest. We used to piss ourselves laughing. Simon was a great favourite with the crowd. An out and out champion. Loved footy at the Western/Whitten Oval.

bornadog
15-07-2015, 12:36 PM
I remember the Peanut Man with his ginormous bag of peanuts, the peppercorns,

Matty Boyd's Grandfather

merantau
15-07-2015, 12:41 PM
Really? That is great. I must tell a mate of mine who also remembers the Peanut Man.

ledge
15-07-2015, 01:08 PM
Everyone remembers the peanut man .. I swear he had dopplegangers he seemed to be at VFL games AFL games all
At the same time.

Twodogs
15-07-2015, 04:34 PM
Great post Merantau. It all came rushing back as I read.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Everyone remembers the peanut man .. I swear he had dopplegangers he seemed to be at VFL games AFL games all
At the same time.

Just on the peanut man, i remember watching A Current Affair in the 80's. Mike Willesee introduced a story on sex shops and they then crossed to an intrepid reporter outside one. Well he ventured inside with the cameraman in tow and who should be behind the counter... the peanut man.

always right
15-07-2015, 11:05 PM
Just on the peanut man, i remember watching A Current Affair in the 80's. Mike Willesee introduced a story on sex shops and they then crossed to an intrepid reporter outside one. Well he ventured inside with the cameraman in tow and who should be behind the counter... the peanut man.
The name of the business was Wathen's newsagency. I remember walking in there one morning after being asked to collect their newspaper orders for the week. The shop had explicit porno magazines hanging from lines across the shop by clothes pegs. Johnny Boyd would hand me the orders and kindly offer me a paper bag to put them in. I would walk out of the shop with a paper bag which everyone would assume contained porno magazines. Quite a character Johnny Boyd.

merantau
15-07-2015, 11:18 PM
Just talking to a mate over here and he remembers The Peanut Man being at Port Melbourne games in the 60s.

craigsahibee
16-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Just talking to a mate over here and he remembers The Peanut Man being at Port Melbourne games in the 60s.

He was a regular at Port throughout the 70's and early 80's when I followed them also.

Webby
16-07-2015, 01:51 PM
At the same time.

There were actually twin brothers who covered Vic Park and Princes Park on the same day. True story. A pair of older, portly gentlemen. It caused a great deal of confusuin and some arguments.

Twodogs
16-07-2015, 03:22 PM
The name of the business was Wathen's newsagency. I remember walking in there one morning after being asked to collect their newspaper orders for the week. The shop had explicit porno magazines hanging from lines across the shop by clothes pegs. Johnny Boyd would hand me the orders and kindly offer me a paper bag to put them in. I would walk out of the shop with a paper bag which everyone would assume contained porno magazines. Quite a character Johnny Boyd.

Was Johnny Boyd the peanut man?

always right
16-07-2015, 04:48 PM
Yes....John was the peanut man.

Twodogs
16-07-2015, 05:18 PM
Yes....John was the peanut man.

Wonder if he's any relation?

bornadog
16-07-2015, 06:08 PM
Matty Boyd's Grandfather

Wonder if he's any relation?

Relation to who?

Twodogs
16-07-2015, 06:21 PM
Relation to who?

I was thinking Tom. Didn't think about Keithy until after I posted.

bornadog
24-01-2017, 05:36 PM
Charlie's last game

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Whitten%20Oval%20Memories/westernoval_moments10_zpsuejvl6j9.jpg

Low scores

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Whitten%20Oval%20Memories/westernoval_moments7_zpsifkoru4t.jpg

Flooded

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Whitten%20Oval%20Memories/westernoval_moments11_zpsunmxvgdc.jpg

Beeza kicks the winner after kick across goal

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Whitten%20Oval%20Memories/westernoval_moments6_zpsfqalmceh.jpg

bornadog
24-01-2017, 05:38 PM
The ground how it once was

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Whitten%20Oval%20Memories/westernoval_gallery16_zpsagrgifuu.jpg

The Best Full forward I have seen

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Whitten%20Oval%20Memories/westernoval_moments4_zpsrazk6wnn.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Whitten%20Oval%20Memories/westernoval_gallery9_zpscwpsoymf.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Whitten%20Oval%20Memories/westernoval_gallery11_zpsopnbmb0b.jpg

bornadog
24-01-2017, 05:40 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Whitten%20Oval%20Memories/westernoval_gallery12_zpsyoew6ud3.jpg

Not sure what is happening here

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Whitten%20Oval%20Memories/westernoval_gallery6_zpsttbbwt3d.jpg

Suffer Carlton

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Whitten%20Oval%20Memories/westernoval_gallery8_zpskjwzm3fp.jpg

Up Yours Oakley

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Whitten%20Oval%20Memories/westernoval_gallery10_zps2unlnsnn.jpg

Malthouse - happy

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Whitten%20Oval%20Memories/westernoval_gallery4_zpssugmilf9.jpg

bornadog
24-01-2017, 05:40 PM
Malthouse not Happy

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Whitten%20Oval%20Memories/westernoval_gallery7_zpsupocp49p.jpg

bornadog
24-01-2017, 05:41 PM
Another win at home

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Whitten%20Oval%20Memories/westernoval_gallery3_zpslficw8tb.jpg

The coaches Box

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Whitten%20Oval%20Memories/westernoval_gallery2_zps9kzrebkx.jpg

bornadog
24-01-2017, 05:46 PM
Now who is this young man?

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Whitten%20Oval%20Memories/westernoval_gallery1_zpsouvmgf7e.jpg

Twodogs
24-01-2017, 07:45 PM
Looks like Bones McGhie to me?

What ground is it? Looks a bit like Yarraville Oval

ledge
24-01-2017, 07:45 PM
Now who is this young man?

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Whitten%20Oval%20Memories/westernoval_gallery1_zpsouvmgf7e.jpg
Saw that on FB today it's robbie MGhie 1970 at the Yarraville ground

Twodogs
24-01-2017, 07:48 PM

I didnt see it on FB. I just happened to know. Tragic isn't it?

Twodogs
24-01-2017, 07:52 PM
That Essendon halftime score of 7 behinds each. Is that from the 1986 game when we hadn't kicked a goal to 3/4 time but hit the front in the last quarter only for Essendon to win.

Webby
24-01-2017, 08:02 PM

That's not Yarraville Oval. It's the Western Oval. That's the Gent Stand pre the renovation. It went from a gabled, pitched roof to a flat one when they revamped it.

Eastdog
24-01-2017, 08:31 PM
Magnificent photos BAD.

Eastdog
24-01-2017, 08:33 PM
Wow...reading this makes me really wish I was alive back in those days, sounds awesome!

Yes from reading woofers experiences of WO back in the day it sounds like it was great fun.

KT31
24-01-2017, 08:42 PM
Great photos BAD.

Twodogs
24-01-2017, 08:48 PM
That's not Yarraville Oval. It's the Western Oval. That's the Gent Stand pre the renovation. It went from a gabled, pitched roof to a flat one when they revamped it.

So it's not the Chegwidden (love that name!) stand sr Yarraville oval?

I can remember watching Robbie walk out onto the Yarraville ground with purpose when he was just a spectator. Someone had been silly enough to take on Warren McGhie not properly understanding that if you took one McGhie on then you took every McGhie on. Steve was playing and picked the transgesser up by the throat and was cocking his fist when the umpire came running in yelling"put him down Steve, put him down!" Steve looked at the umpire and said "*!*!*!*! that, he hit my brother" and the umpire noting that Robbie and the older brother were glaring at him. said "alright one punch and then put him down again!"

It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Webby
24-01-2017, 11:42 PM
So it's not the Chegwidden (love that name!) stand sr Yarraville oval?.

Nope, 100% certain it's the Gent Stand at WO. Easiest way for you to see it is to look up the Jamie Cooper Team of the Century print via google images or to look up the photo of the 1954 flag unfurling in March 1955. It's unmistakable.

Webby
24-01-2017, 11:45 PM

Here's my attempt...

Webby
24-01-2017, 11:47 PM
Wow, it worked, so here's my second attempt...!

Mat Lyons
27-03-2024, 10:01 PM
Love these!!!

Any more old pics?!

Can Bar
28-03-2024, 08:43 AM
Will never forget a Kelvin Templeton goal, launching a Tomahawk Cruise missile from near the Gordon st wing towards the scoreboard end.
Ahhh Yes sliding down the hill at the geelong rd end on discarded Slab boxes as a young pup, dodging rocks was tough. would go home most weeks in a mess.
Later in life was introduced to the Can Bar. on the western wing.

ledge
28-03-2024, 09:33 AM
Good to see the Whitten oval now.
Can bar now near the old army reserve building .
To be honest it looks like the replica of the old one under the scoreboard, which brings me to a thought , should have put it under the new scoreboard :-)
The steps and grass at the Geelong road end are just perfect.
Can’t wait to see the stand finished , will it still be the EJ Whitten stand ? I will be surprised if it is considering the ground is now named after him.

Mantis
28-03-2024, 10:28 AM
Will never forget a Kelvin Templeton goal, launching a Tomahawk Cruise missile from near the Gordon st wing towards the scoreboard end.
Ahhh Yes sliding down the hill at the geelong rd end on discarded Slab boxes as a young pup, dodging rocks was tough. would go home most weeks in a mess.
Later in life was introduced to the Can Bar. on the western wing.

I used do this with old chip boxes on the dirt hill beside the EJ Whitten Stand (where the training facility is now)

The freedom I had to do whatever the hell I wanted whilst the footy was on was absurd in today's culture.

A day at WO usually had the following involved:

- trying to sneak into the rooms... was usually pretty successful, especially after the game.
- collecting cans to sell.. would usually fill said cans with rocks to add more weight.
- buy body-weight in donuts with money made
- watch the game from any number of spots which included, on top of the umpires race (the sprays the umpires copped at 1/2 and FT were certainly eye-opening for a young lad), climb the hoardings at the Barkley Street end and watch from up top, sneak up into the EJ Whitten stand, etc..

Fun times indeed.

angelopetraglia
28-03-2024, 10:56 AM
I used do this with old chip boxes on the dirt hill beside the EJ Whitten Stand (where the training facility is now)

The freedom I had to do whatever the hell I wanted whilst the footy was on was absurd in today's culture.

A day at WO usually had the following involved:

- trying to sneak into the rooms... was usually pretty successful, especially after the game.
- collecting cans to sell.. would usually fill said cans with rocks to add more weight.
- buy body-weight in donuts with money made
- watch the game from any number of spots which included, on top of the umpires race (the sprays the umpires copped at 1/2 and FT were certainly eye-opening for a young lad), climb the hoardings at the Barkley Street end and watch from up top, sneak up into the EJ Whitten stand, etc..

Fun times indeed.

Love it.

How different is that sense of adventure and free spirit compared to children growing up in today's sanitised world.

bornadog
28-03-2024, 11:12 AM
Love these!!!

Any more old pics?!

I think I lost those photos when I cancelled my Photobucket account. Not sure if I saved them anywhere

bornadog
28-03-2024, 11:14 AM
https://scontent.fmel16-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.18169-9/1920345_811934635502441_1113676042_n.png?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=b7qPlaAUJg8AX_aJOyt&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel16-1.fna&cb_e2o_trans=t&oh=00_AfCKq201C3WwCHCtdYISkBWmM02bdCQpZkH3eVp81hzXew&oe=662C09DD

Grantysghost
28-03-2024, 11:15 AM
https://scontent.fmel16-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.18169-9/1920345_811934635502441_1113676042_n.png?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=b7qPlaAUJg8AX_aJOyt&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel16-1.fna&cb_e2o_trans=t&oh=00_AfCKq201C3WwCHCtdYISkBWmM02bdCQpZkH3eVp81hzXew&oe=662C09DD

Where are you and G standing in that photo bad?

bornadog
28-03-2024, 11:16 AM
https://scontent.fmel16-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/148606768_3703251346431638_1696004062941846858_n.jpg?_nc_cat =108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=a1punrtBCVUAX_7yFdc&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel16-1.fna&cb_e2o_trans=t&oh=00_AfCpBqIsLZEXo278VWSxtIGdzhBJYYWiwEc6rCZE-HTwcw&oe=662C1C34

bornadog
28-03-2024, 11:18 AM
https://www.picturevictoria.vic.gov.au/site/maribyrnong/images/59-2.jpg

Grantysghost
28-03-2024, 11:23 AM
https://scontent.fmel16-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/148606768_3703251346431638_1696004062941846858_n.jpg?_nc_cat =108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=a1punrtBCVUAX_7yFdc&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel16-1.fna&cb_e2o_trans=t&oh=00_AfCpBqIsLZEXo278VWSxtIGdzhBJYYWiwEc6rCZE-HTwcw&oe=662C1C34

Practise match? That crowd doesn't seem right.

Ollies family restaurants! Remember the tram out at Essendon or Moonee Ponds?

bornadog
28-03-2024, 11:24 AM
Where are you and G standing in that photo bad?

See that shed behind the goals, that was G's old tent, but the club said it was too big :D

angelopetraglia
28-03-2024, 11:28 AM

Noddy's Soft Drinks too! A memory of my youth.

Grantysghost
28-03-2024, 11:29 AM
Noddy's Soft Drinks too! A memory of my youth.

Oh yeah - Loys too. We use to have the Loys man who would come around in a truck.

Grantysghost
28-03-2024, 11:32 AM

Can we name the Dogs players?

I'm going furthest to nearest, left to right.

Beasley, Shorty Daniels?, Brian Cordy?, Rick Kennedy, Peter Foster, Saunders?

bornadog
28-03-2024, 11:45 AM
Can we name the Dogs players?

I'm going furthest to nearest, left to right.

Beasley, Shorty Daniels?, Brian Cordy?, Rick Kennedy, Peter Foster, Saunders?

I think you are spot on. I wouldn't have picked Saunders.

Grantysghost
28-03-2024, 11:46 AM
I think you are spot on. I wouldn't have picked Saunders.

The number is the only reason. I used to memorise them all.

bornadog
28-03-2024, 11:47 AM
The number is the only reason. I used to memorise them all.

Just checked Saunders only played 1 year 1986.

Grantysghost
28-03-2024, 11:49 AM
Just checked Saunders only played 1 year 1986.

Seems about right then.

Prince Imperial
28-03-2024, 03:34 PM
Can?t wait to see the stand finished , will it still be the EJ Whitten stand ? I will be surprised if it is considering the ground is now named after him.

I think its a great opportunity to honour another of our club's greats. My choice would be Peter Gordon.

ledge
28-03-2024, 03:37 PM

Ollie?s is still around in melton and Sydenham but no tram carriage. Still the best chicken too

ledge
28-03-2024, 03:40 PM
I think its a great opportunity to honour another of our club's greats. My choice would be Peter Gordon.

Good choice.
Maybe get Smorgan in there too.

Prince Imperial
28-03-2024, 03:46 PM

For sure, our home attendance that year against them was 19,341 who witnessed a comfortable 27 point Footscray victory.

Prince Imperial
28-03-2024, 03:48 PM
Good choice.
Maybe get Smorgan in there too.

The foyer and cafe area has previously been named after the Smorgon family and I suspect this will continue when the redevelopment is completed.

Bulldog4life
28-03-2024, 03:51 PM
Oh yeah - Loys too. We use to have the Loys man who would come around in a truck.

Makes 2 of us.

Eastdog
29-03-2024, 12:05 AM

The spiritual home nearly 100 years ago! Great photo!

Jeanette54
29-03-2024, 12:23 AM
I remember one senior lady (Mrs Hobbs, from memory) who would sneak her two chihuahuas into the games in her knitting bag. The dogs were named EJ and Dougie. When a Bulldog goal was scored she would say, "Goal EJ, goal", which caused the dog to leap about and bark madly for a moment or two.

PS, She was a gentle old soul, which is more than I can say about some of the older women who had their regular spots on the seating around the fence in those days. Their language may have been questionable, but their hearts were big, and all Bulldog.

ledge
29-03-2024, 01:35 AM
I remember one senior lady (Mrs Hobbs, from memory) who would sneak her two chihuahuas into the games in her knitting bag. The dogs were named EJ and Dougie. When a Bulldog goal was scored she would say, "Goal EJ, goal", which caused the dog to leap about and bark madly for a moment or two.

PS, She was a gentle old soul, which is more than I can say about some of the older women who had their regular spots on the seating around the fence in those days. Their language may have been questionable, but their hearts were big, and all Bulldog.

They could give you a mean brolly tap too.
I think the wire wrap around the race was to protect the umpires from the old ladies more than anyone else.

bornadog
29-03-2024, 10:32 AM

Was she the lady that had the dogs in a shopping trolley (Jeep) and walk to the ground?

Bulldog4life
04-04-2024, 06:26 PM
They could give you a mean brolly tap too.
I think the wire wrap around the race was to protect the umpires from the old ladies more than anyone else.

Not nearly as bad as the ladies....if you could call them that....at Vic Park.

ledge
04-04-2024, 08:41 PM
Not nearly as bad as the ladies....if you could call them that....at Vic Park.

It’ was quite popular at skinner reserve back in the 70s and 80s. You thought the sunshine players were hard, the mums were tougher. You touch the son you got attacked by the women mafia of braybrook.

Twodogs
05-04-2024, 12:50 AM
Good to see the Whitten oval now.
Can bar now near the old army reserve building .
To be honest it looks like the replica of the old one under the scoreboard, which brings me to a thought , should have put it under the new scoreboard :-)
The steps and grass at the Geelong road end are just perfect.
Can?t wait to see the stand finished , will it still be the EJ Whitten stand ? I will be surprised if it is considering the ground is now named after him.

You're thinking of a different (and a different kind of) can bar. This one was houses at the back of the John Gent stand. You needed to flash your social club membership to get access. It was in a cabin that was attached to the underside roof of the stand with a bar at the back where you could buy cans. The view of the ground was perfect and uninterrupted. It's the best place I've ever watched football from.

The bar you're thinking of (underneath the scoreboard) didn't have an elevated viewing platform like the can bar did.

ledge
05-04-2024, 11:45 AM
You're thinking of a different (and a different kind of) can bar. This one was houses at the back of the John Gent stand. You needed to flash your social club membership to get access. It was in a cabin that was attached to the underside roof of the stand with a bar at the back where you could buy cans. The view of the ground was perfect and uninterrupted. It's the best place I've ever watched football from.

The bar you're thinking of (underneath the scoreboard) didn't have an elevated viewing platform like the can bar did.

I did the one your talking about quite often as I used to get their early to watch the players I lived with in the reserves and my cousin was a stats man who used to do the under 19s reserves and seniors. We used to go together. I was also engaged to Bull Masons ( the trainer ) daughter at the time. He practically lived there or at the Powell hotel, trainers back in the 80s were huge drinkers.

I was just saying the one they have now near the old army reserve shed reminds me of the one under the scoreboard.