PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 1 of the finals vs Eagles or Saints

GVGjr
20-09-2020, 09:42 PM
Our quest towards another flag continues so welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread Finals addition.
The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our next match in an elimination final against either West Coast or St Kilda?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

Happy Days
20-09-2020, 09:45 PM
No change fingers crossed. If Wallis and Naughton are out then I guess Schache and Lloyd but maybe we play two short for the clout.

bornadog
20-09-2020, 09:45 PM
No change fingers crossed. If Wallis and Naughton are out then I guess Schache and Lloyd but maybe we play two short for the clout.

Baring injury, same for me, no change

josie
20-09-2020, 09:46 PM
Not Lloyd. I’d play Schache and Cavarra if Naughty and Wally are out. Pray that’s not the case.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-09-2020, 09:46 PM
Well a lot will depend on the health of Naughts and Wallis.

If it’s the eagles then we want to go in like tonight. It worked well against them two weeks ago.

If it’s the saints, I’d be concerned about the ruck. Ryder and Marshall will manhandle English. Obviously we shouldn’t bring Sweet in, but if Naughts isn’t available, does Schache come in to play forward and play ruck relief?

Testekill
20-09-2020, 09:48 PM
Fingers crossed no changes. If Naughton and Wallis don't get up then I guess Schache and Cavarra in.

comrade
20-09-2020, 09:51 PM
If Naughton is out, play Cordy forward. Needs to be far away from our defensive 50.

If Wally is out, I'd bring Dale or Schache in.

DOG GOD
20-09-2020, 10:05 PM
If Naughton is out, play Cordy forward. Needs to be far away from our defensive 50.

I agree. We just can’t have Cordy AND Gardner in that D50.
Could Lew Young be plucked from Oblivion ?
We need some pace in that fwd 50.

GVGjr
20-09-2020, 10:15 PM
I agree. We just can’t have Cordy AND Gardner in that D50.
Could Lew Young be plucked from Oblivion ?
We need some pace in that fwd 50.

Plays the first game of the season for us and his next is the first game in the finals
Bit of a long shot I suspect but who knows

angelopetraglia
20-09-2020, 11:46 PM
Bevo also hinted that Wood and Bruce may not make the trip west if Pies win as their partners are heavily pregnant. Another reason to cheer on Port.

Sedat
20-09-2020, 11:49 PM

No thanks to Dale in a final. He has some good attributes but I question his ability to impact in the white-hot intensity of finals.

bornadog
20-09-2020, 11:56 PM
No thanks to Dale in a final. He has some good attributes but I question his ability to impact in the white-hot intensity of finals.

Ditto

josie
21-09-2020, 12:03 AM
Ditto

Double ditto and no to Lloyd too. Want someone with tenacity. Prefer Cavarra over either of Dale or Lloyd. And triple no no no to Gowers. Don’t even think about it Bevo.

bornadog
21-09-2020, 12:20 AM
Double ditto and no to Lloyd too. Want someone with tenacity. Prefer Cavarra over either of Dale or Lloyd. And triple no no no to Gowers. Don’t even think about it Bevo.

Wally and Naughton will play, however, Wood and Bruce may miss if we end up playing West Coast in Perth as both wives are about to have a baby.

The Doctor
21-09-2020, 07:12 AM
Richards should be nervous. He's just not doing enough.

Bumper Bulldogs
21-09-2020, 07:29 AM
Let’s hope Naughton and Wallis get up. If they do is Vendermeer a chance to come in. I just think we have too many back flankers playing that is stopping the forward 50 to function

With Richards he is better with the game infront of him. He should play as a forward but drag him man out and just run between the two F50 arcs. He still hS something to offer the side.

GVGjr
21-09-2020, 07:51 AM
Richards should be nervous. He's just not doing enough.

He's been down on form over an extended period. Would Will Hayes be considered?

Mantis
21-09-2020, 09:00 AM

No... Hayes isn't up to playing in an AFL finals game.

1eyedog
21-09-2020, 09:31 AM
No change!

GVGjr
21-09-2020, 09:36 AM
No... Hayes isn't up to playing in an AFL finals game.

That probably means we stick with Richards then

1eyedog
21-09-2020, 09:40 AM

Who also struggles. Wish Jongy was fit. We miss him more than we think.

comrade
21-09-2020, 09:55 AM
Who also struggles. Wish Jongy was fit. We miss him more than we think.

I wish VDM was fit. I reckon he'd love the pressure of finals footy.

comrade
21-09-2020, 12:24 PM
Here's the side from the 2019 elim final:

B: Taylor Duryea, Lewis Young, Hayden Crozier
HB: Jason Johannisen, Zaine Cordy, Easton Wood
C: Lachie Hunter, Marcus Bontempelli, Ed Richards
HF: Bailey Dale, Josh Schache, Sam Lloyd
F: Bailey Smith, Aaron Naughton, Toby McLean
Foll: Tim English, Josh Dunkley, Jack Macrae
Int: Matt Suckling, Rhylee West, Pat Lipinski, Will Hayes
Emer: Jackson Trengove, Tory Dickson, Bailey Williams, Roarke Smith

No Keath, no Bruce & no Libba probably the biggest 3 changes.

I expect us to line up something like this (on the proviso that Naughton and Wally make it):

B: Taylor Duryea, Alex Keath, Bailey Williams
HB: Caleb Daniel, Ryan Gardner, Hayden Crozier
C: Lachie Hunter, Libba, Jack Macrae
HF: Pat Lipinski, Josh Bruce, JJ
F: Bailey Smith, Aaron Naughton, Mitch Wallis
Foll: Tim English, Bont, Josh Dunkley
Int: Easton Wood, Roarke Smith, Zaine Cordy, Ed Richards

I feel it's a much stronger side overall, but the balance still isn't right with our forward line.

1eyedog
21-09-2020, 12:25 PM
I wish VDM was fit. I reckon he'd love the pressure of finals footy.

He might be close!

Man I hope Port do us a favour tonight. Playing the Aints is way more palatable than the Wiggles over there.

comrade
21-09-2020, 12:26 PM
He might be close!

If so, I think he'd take Richards spot and be a decent upgrade.

Mofra
21-09-2020, 12:31 PM
Richards ranks pretty high in pressure acts as a forward though?
I'll go with no change, although if VDM is ready there will be an interesting conversation. Lippi was last in and would have otherwise been a candidate but he deserves his spot.

Interesting that Bailey Dale was listed as an emergency yesterday...

bornadog
21-09-2020, 12:33 PM
Here's the side from the 2019 elim final:

B: Taylor Duryea, Lewis Young, Hayden Crozier
HB: Jason Johannisen, Zaine Cordy, Easton Wood
C: Lachie Hunter, Marcus Bontempelli, Ed Richards
HF: Bailey Dale, Josh Schache, Sam Lloyd
F: Bailey Smith, Aaron Naughton, Toby McLean
Foll: Tim English, Josh Dunkley, Jack Macrae
Int: Matt Suckling, Rhylee West, Pat Lipinski, Will Hayes
Emer: Jackson Trengove, Tory Dickson, Bailey Williams, Roarke Smith

No Keath, no Bruce & no Libba probably the biggest 3 changes.

I expect us to line up something like this (on the proviso that Naughton and Wally make it):

B: Taylor Duryea, Alex Keath, Bailey Williams
HB: Caleb Daniel, Ryan Gardner, Hayden Crozier
C: Lachie Hunter, Libba, Jack Macrae
HF: Pat Lipinski, Josh Bruce, JJ
F: Bailey Smith, Aaron Naughton, Mitch Wallis
Foll: Tim English, Bont, Josh Dunkley
Int: Easton Wood, Roarke Smith, Zaine Cordy, Ed Richards

I feel it's a much stronger side overall, but the balance still isn't right with our forward line.

So no change for you? I would go the same.

2019 - The following played - Schache, Lloyd, Maclean, West, Dale, Suckling, Hayes

comrade
21-09-2020, 12:40 PM
So no change for you? I would go the same.

2019 - The following played - Schache, Lloyd, Maclean, West, Dale, Suckling, Hayes

Only change would be if Vandermeer was fit to replace Richards. I'd also prefer another genuine forward like Schache or Dale instead of Cordy but it will never happen.

Sedat
21-09-2020, 01:45 PM
Richards is a very interesting player. His numbers are low but he always seems to get to important positions both defensively and up forward. I suspect he does a lot of gut running and unrewarded running that doesn't come up in the stats sheet. I am more confident he will not be intimidated by finals intensity, and I can't quite say the same about the likes of Dale and Hayes. There is no easy ball in finals, as last year ruthlessly exposed some players in our list.

Whoever we play in 2 weeks, I want us to absolutely terrorise them at every single contest the way GWS did to us last year. There are no excuses not to bring the absolute heat - we got a valuable lesson last year and I expect us to have learnt from that experience and stand us in good stead.

The Doctor
21-09-2020, 02:23 PM

I hope not.

I doubt there will be a change. It's a pity any of the forwards we have currently out of the team are not doing much to demand inclusion

bornadog
21-09-2020, 04:10 PM
Saints want to play the first final in Adelaide.

Grantysghost
21-09-2020, 04:22 PM

They want to avoid the slippery conditions I assume ? They did nail us a Marvel with their speed.

Bulldog Joe
21-09-2020, 04:23 PM

Adelaide should suit us just fine, if we play them.

It certainly won't be a reason for us not to win.

Axe Man
21-09-2020, 04:27 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/pdYP6hkp/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)post a picture (https://postimages.org/)

soupman
21-09-2020, 04:44 PM
Richards stays. He hasn't been playing any worse than the rest of the season, and his spot in the side has never really felt in question despite that.

Axe Man
21-09-2020, 04:51 PM
Western Bulldogs spearhead Josh Bruce is desperately hoping Port Adelaide defeats Collingwood on Monday night so he can avoid an agonising decision on whether to play in the first final of his nine-year AFL career.

Bruce’s pregnant wife, Pip, is due to give birth in the first week of October.

If Collingwood beats Port then the Bulldogs will drop to eighth and be sent to Perth for a seven-day quarantine in Joondalup before an elimination final against West Coast.

That scenario would leave Bruce at risk of missing the birth of his second child because he will be away from the club’s Gold Coast hub for more than a week.

But if the Power win, then the Bulldogs will remain in Queensland and face St Kilda in a cut-throat clash.

Easton Wood’s wife, Tiffany, is also pregnant, however their baby isn’t as close.

But it would still be a difficult decision for Wood to fly to Perth to quarantine without his young family.

Both the Woods and Bruces are staying with the Bulldogs on the Gold Coast at RACV Royal Pines Resort.

The Bruce dilemma is compounded by the fact that Aaron Naughton is under an injury cloud with a fractured cheekbone.

Back-up key forward Josh Schache pulled out of Monday’s scratch match against Geelong with Achilles soreness.

The Bulldogs have spent the season developing forward chemistry between Bruce and Naughton.

Coach Luke Beveridge said the club’s thoughts immediately turned to Tiffany Wood and Pip Bruce after Sunday night’s win against Fremantle.

“I straight away think of Joshy Bruce and Easton Wood, and Pip Bruce and Tiffany Wood,” Beveridge said.

“Because they’re heavily pregnant, the girls.

“So it’s not ideal for those lads that we might need to take them across the country in these circumstances.

“That’s probably at the forefront of our worries.”

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/supercoach-news/afl-injuries-who-will-play-whos-hurt-for-2020-finals-series/news-story/de568aa650ccf093cd39c0d4e2d8a688)

Happy Days
21-09-2020, 05:21 PM
So no Bruce, no Naughton, no Schache, Dale and Billy Dangerfield totally undesirable selections?

...free Ferg?

bornadog
21-09-2020, 05:33 PM
So no Bruce, no Naughton, no Schache, Dale and Billy Dangerfield totally undesirable selections?

...free Ferg?

nah - Port wins, Bruce plays his first final, naughton wears a helmet and Bobs your uncle.

GVGjr
21-09-2020, 05:37 PM

...free Ferg?

Jacko and Lewy Young to the rescue.

The Adelaide Connection
21-09-2020, 07:10 PM

Yes please.

dog town
21-09-2020, 07:16 PM
Herald sun running with minor cheekbone fracture for Naughton and he will be right. Weightman in a moon boot injured.

Axe Man
21-09-2020, 07:29 PM
Western Bulldogs star Aaron Naughton has been cleared of a fractured eye socket and this week’s bye is set to see the young spearhead recover in time for the elimination final.

In a massive boost to the Dogs’ premiership hopes, News Corp understands that Naughton’s scans have revealed only a minor fracture to his cheekbone.

The 20-year-old will undergo his fourth operation in 12 months on Tuesday, but something would have to go drastically wrong for Naughton to miss the club’s fourth elimination final in six years.

“He was very sore (on Sunday night),” teammate Josh Dunkley said on Monday.

“He said he’s never had an injury quite like it, and he’s had a lot of injuries too.

“He’s a good healer, though. He’s come back from a lot of injuries so we’re really optimistic.”

Naughton underwent surgery on his left knee last September, surgery on his right knee in February and then surgery on his left ankle in June.

But since the contested-marking beast returned from that setback he has transformed the Bulldogs’ forward line into the AFL’s No.1 attack.

From Rounds 12-18 they have averaged 75.2 points, bettering premiership favourites Geelong (72.7) and Richmond (67.3).

Mitch Wallis (shoulder) cut a forlorn figure late in Sunday night’s win against Fremantle and was consoled by Alex Keath on the bench.

Naughton (24 goals) and Wallis (14) have booted 23.8 per cent of the club’s goals this year.

But Wallis – who missed the 2016 premiership with a broken leg, as well as last year’s elimination final – only suffered a stinger and will be fit next week.

Naughton’s swagger has earned comparisons to Wayne Carey and he shapes as one of the most watchable players in the finals.

The Bulldogs have deliberately groomed an oversized backline to prepare for their cut-throat clash, conscious they will have to contend with either West Coast giants Josh Kennedy, Jack Darling and Oscar Allen or St Kilda targets Max King, Rohan Marshall and Paddy Ryder.

Key defenders Zaine Cordy, Ryan Gardner and Keath have played the past three games together and they were joined by Easton Wood on Sunday.

But Beveridge threw Keath and Cordy forward for a quarter each after Naughton went down in Cairns.

If Naughton (cheek) or Josh Bruce misses the elimination final the Dogs must decide whether to stick with that plan, bring in a replacement key forward or operate a smaller attack.

Bruce’s pregnant wife, Pip, is due to give birth in early October and if the Bulldogs have to leave Queensland for their final he faces a tough decision ahead of what would be the first final of his AFL career.

When Naughton missed six games in the middle of the season Josh Schache filled the void for the first two but was then dropped because he lacked physicality.

Schache (Achilles soreness) did not play in Monday’s scratch match against Geelong.

The Dogs then tried Bailey Dale and Cody Weightman around main man Bruce and it is likely they would revert to that structure if one of their big blokes is unavailable.

Weightman finished Monday’s scratch match wearing a moon boot after suffering an ankle injury and Dale looms as the most likely inclusion if either Naughton or Bruce miss.

Matthew Suckling (hamstring tightness) did not play against Fremantle, but sweated through a rehabilitation session with Schache on Monday and looked ready to play.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/supercoach-news/afl-injuries-who-will-play-whos-hurt-for-2020-finals-series/news-story/de568aa650ccf093cd39c0d4e2d8a688)

Grantysghost
21-09-2020, 07:36 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/WJjLyXCVvro2I/giphy.gif

Eastdog
21-09-2020, 07:37 PM
Great news about Aaron.

1eyedog
21-09-2020, 07:38 PM
Awesome news thanks Axe

The bulldog tragician
21-09-2020, 07:38 PM
But since the contested-marking beast returned from that setback he has transformed the Bulldogs’ forward line into the AFL’s No.1 attack.

From Rounds 12-18 they have averaged 75.2 points, bettering premiership favourites Geelong (72.7) and Richmond (67.3).

Is anyone else surprised at this? Not really the dysfunctional forward line I thought we had!

angelopetraglia
21-09-2020, 07:42 PM
So happy with the Naughton news!

azabob
21-09-2020, 08:01 PM
Great news about Aaron.

Thanks for your kind words Easty... It is apricated.

comrade
21-09-2020, 08:05 PM

Is anyone else surprised at this? Not really the dysfunctional forward line I thought we had!

Naughton is a transformational player, no doubt.

But we've also had Dunkley and especially Hunter come back into the side during this time to give us more drive through the middle and ramp up our inside 50 numbers.

ratsmac
21-09-2020, 08:33 PM
Naughton is a transformational player, no doubt.

But we've also had Dunkley and especially Hunter come back into the side during this time to give us more drive through the middle and ramp up our inside 50 numbers.

Come on Comrade, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story:)

bornadog
21-09-2020, 09:39 PM
https://youtu.be/snkN66-PXK8

josie
21-09-2020, 10:10 PM
Thx Dogtown and Axeman.

Great news. Hope whomever we play do not play dirty and “accidentally on purpose” make impact with Naughty’s face.

Also good to hear Bevo’s press comment that Wally just had a stinger looks correct.

ratsmac
21-09-2020, 11:01 PM
The Saints it is. We have some unfinished business with this mob!

kruder
21-09-2020, 11:11 PM
Sounds like we are playing in Adelaide, definitely better suited than the greasy Gabba.

angelopetraglia
21-09-2020, 11:12 PM
Saints at the Adelaide Oval on Saturday afternoon according to Tom Morris.

The Pie Man
22-09-2020, 12:19 AM
So Adelaide would pretty much rule Bruce out too?

Vred
22-09-2020, 12:22 AM

If the wives can come with, both will play, doubt either of them would want to miss this run at finals.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-09-2020, 12:22 AM

I’m not sure what their quarantine rules are. The problem with WA was the quarantine time

Vred
22-09-2020, 12:34 AM
I’m not sure what their quarantine rules are. The problem with WA was the quarantine time

Bevo has said both have committed to play on AFL 360

DOG GOD
22-09-2020, 08:31 AM
Saints at the Adelaide Oval on Saturday afternoon according to Tom Morris.
Interesting. Originally I heard it being reported a few weeks ago that the first 4 games of finals would be Wednesday. Thursday, Friday and Saturday night games.

azabob
22-09-2020, 08:34 AM
Interesting. Originally I heard it being reported a few weeks ago that the first 4 games of finals would be Wednesday. Thursday, Friday and Saturday night games.

Wednesday was ruled out late last week.

comrade
22-09-2020, 08:49 AM
Afternoon finals footy is the best type of footy.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-09-2020, 08:56 AM

I think it's the other way around, according to media report below . Saints want to play in Brisbane, but AFL are keen to have both elimination finals play in Adelaide.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2020-finals-series-fixture-details-leaked/news-story/b29f17b0ae0a18694c74981d942e5905

AFL 2020 finals series fixture details leaked

The AFL has reportedly been forced to delay its official finals series fixture announcement after belittling St Kilda with a brutal dismissal.

The AFL has reportedly been forced to delay its official finals series fixture announcement after belittling St Kilda with a brutal dismissal on Monday.

Leaked details surrounding the make-up of the 2020 finals series fixture shows the league is set to ignore St Kilda’s request to play a “home” elimination final in Queensland because it is more lucrative for the league’s coffers if the game is played in Adelaide.

St Kilda’s “home” final against the Western Bulldogs in the first week of the finals was confirmed after the final game of the regular season where Port Adelaide’s win over Collingwood kept the Saints as the No. 6 seed for the finals series.

It was revealed earlier on Monday the AFL is planning on playing two games in the first weekend of the finals in Adelaide — and is prepared to ignore official requests from the Saints to have their wish come true.

According to reports, the AFL was not prepared to make the same move to force St Kilda interstate if powerhouse club Collingwood had jumped up to sixth on the ladder with a win over the Power.

It will give the City of Churches two games in the first weekend of the finals with Port Adelaide also to host a qualifying final against Geelong after the Power became the first club since Essendon in 2000 to lead the competition for every round of the season, secured with their win over the Pies.

Port Adelaide’s win relegates the Magpies to eighth spot on the ladder — and gives them a daunting assignment of travelling to Perth to play West Coast in the first week of the finals.

The win also bumps Brisbane from top spot and sets up a qualifying final between the Lions and Richmond at the Gabba.

The earlier report outlines that the AFL has already briefed the Saints about its desire to use the Adelaide Oval in preference to the Saints’ official request to play its “home” final at Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast.

Saints coach Brett Ratten confirmed the club had requested to remain in Queensland in the first week of the finals when asked on Fox Footy’s AFL 360 before the Power-Magpies game.

Fox Footy’s Tom Morris reported the second elimination final will be played on Saturday, October 3, as either an afternoon or twilight fixture.

He told Fox Footy’s On The Couch the AFL made the decision to reject the Saints because it is a better financial result for the league and because it would allow a crowd of up to 20,000 at the Adelaide Oval as opposed to a crowd of 7000 at Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast.

Saints legend Nick Riewoldt said the Saints had earned the right to make the call after finishing sixth on the ladder.

“It’s about the ability to at least have a choice. If you’ve finished sixth and have the right to a home final, you should have the right to make that choice (of venue),” Riewoldt said on Fox Footy’s On the Couch.

“We got spoken to at the start of the year about the 16 minutes (quarters) and not being able to move back to 20 because of the integrity of the competition.

“We’re true to that, and so (for) the integrity of the competition, the team that finishes sixth should get the choice, shouldn’t they?”

When asked by Brisbane Lions legend Jonathan Brown if the AFL would have treated Collingwood with the same disrespect, Riewoldt said: “Probably not”.

The AFL had already locked in home finals in the opening week of the finals series for Brisbane and West Coast.

DOG GOD
22-09-2020, 08:59 AM
Wednesday was ruled out late last week.
Ah ok, sorry I must have missed that.
Thanks.

comrade
22-09-2020, 09:05 AM
“It’s about the ability to at least have a choice. If you’ve finished sixth and have the right to a home final, you should have the right to make that choice (of venue),” Riewoldt said on Fox Footy’s On the Couch.

“We got spoken to at the start of the year about the 16 minutes (quarters) and not being able to move back to 20 because of the integrity of the competition.

“We’re true to that, and so (for) the integrity of the competition, the team that finishes sixth should get the choice, shouldn’t they?”

What is Riewoldt talking about?

Since when do teams get to choose where they play finals? I must have missed all those finals down in Geelong, or our 2015 final at Marvel vs Adelaide.

azabob
22-09-2020, 09:27 AM
Ah ok, sorry I must have missed that.
Thanks.

No need to apologise. Just passing on information.

Plus 95% of all the info we hear is probably not true anyway.

bornadog
22-09-2020, 09:54 AM

Since when do teams get to choose where they play finals? I must have missed all those finals down in Geelong, or our 2015 final at Marvel vs Adelaide.

Well in theory that is what the AFL spout, but in reality they try and maximise revenue.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-09-2020, 09:57 AM

The saints have been out of finals for so long he’s forgotten how they work.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-09-2020, 10:15 AM
This game will be won and lost in the midfield. If we’re concentrated and locked in defensively we should win this. The saints burn opponents off the turnover and love setting the ball up 10m out from goal for their smalls to crumb the spoils of King. Our game against them had them kick 14.4 with 9 of those goals 10m out directly in front. We did a horrible job of making their f50 entries difficult. They’ll also look to control possession the way Freo did but will move it A LOT faster.

I’m actually a lot more comfortable down back now that Gardner has nailed down a spot. That extra tall will come in handy against the saints with King, Marshall and Ryder able to clunk marks. However our HBs and mids will need to be accountable as when that ball hits the deck the saints are very dangerous. The cats controlled this when they played the saints so well. Forced their entries wide and absolutely dominated the likes of Butler from getting the drop. It’s not entirely difficult. Just requires concentration and discipline.

Our forward line should be fine. Coffield is a fine interceptor but we’ve done well against better.

The other important area will be the ruck. This will be a big test for Tim. Ryder and Marshall are the type of ruckmen he typically struggles against. And both can clunk a mark up forward so he’ll need to be on his game. It’s a massive challenge for him.

All in all if our mids can get on top and apply enough pressure to limit clean f50 entries, it takes away the saints’ main weapon in creating scores from 10m out from goal. If we hit them hard early, like GWS did to us, take our chances on goal and don’t give them easy kicks we’ll win this.

Axe Man
22-09-2020, 10:18 AM

If the wives can come with, both will play, doubt either of them would want to miss this run at finals.

There are no quarantine issues with Adelaide, we played there last weekend. We would only be there 1 night at the most you would think so no need for the wives to come (I doubt they would be allowed anyway and also heavily pregnant women aren't usually permitted to fly).

bornadog
22-09-2020, 10:19 AM
This game will be won and lost in the midfield. If we’re concentrated and locked in defensively we should win this. The saints burn opponents off the turnover and love setting the ball up 10m out from goal for their smalls to crumb the spoils of King. Our game against them had them kick 14.4 with 9 of those goals 10m out directly in front. We did a horrible job of making their f50 entries difficult. They’ll also look to control possession the way Freo did but will move it A LOT faster.

I’m actually a lot more comfortable down back now that Gardner has nailed down a spot. That extra tall will come in handy against the saints with King, Marshall and Ryder able to clunk marks. However our HBs and mids will need to be accountable as when that ball hits the deck the saints are very dangerous. The cats controlled this when they played the saints so well. Forced their entries wide and absolutely dominated the likes of Butler from getting the drop. It’s not entirely difficult. Just requires concentration and discipline.

Our forward line should be fine. Coffield is a fine interceptor but we’ve done well against better.

The other important area will be the ruck. This will be a big test for Tim. Ryder and Marshall are the type of ruckmen he typically struggles against. And both can clink a mark up forward so he’ll need to be on his game. It’s a massive challenge for him.

All in all if our mids can get on top and apply enough pressure to limit clean f50 entries, it takes away the saints’ main weapon in creating scores from 10m out from goal. If we hit them hard early, like GWS did to us, take our chances on goal and don’t give them easy kicks we’ll win this.

In round 2 we matched them all over the ground, but got killed on the turnovers with our players constantly giving the ball back to them. They are good at applying pressure and forcing the turnover, so we need to be precise with our handballs and kicking.

bornadog
22-09-2020, 10:20 AM
There are no quarantine issues with Adelaide, we played there last weekend. We would only be there 1 night at the most you would think so no need for the wives to come (I doubt they would be allowed anyway and also heavily pregnant women aren't usually permitted to fly).

As long as the babies don't want to pop out early :o

The Pie Man
22-09-2020, 11:29 AM
As long as the babies don't want to pop out early :o

Yep, huge call to play a game interstate (even FIFO) when a partner is due.

Saw this from an Age article yesterday...wonder what these ‘plans’ are...

‘...however on Monday night he told Fox Footy plans were in place that all parties were comfortable with that should enable the pair to play.’

bulldogsthru&thru
22-09-2020, 11:54 AM
Yep, huge call to play a game interstate (even FIFO) when a partner is due.

Saw this from an Age article yesterday...wonder what these ‘plans’ are...

‘...however on Monday night he told Fox Footy plans were in place that all parties were comfortable with that should enable the pair to play.’

The plans had something to do with the partners staying with other family members/friends so that they aren't alone. Sounds like Josh and Easton are going to play no matter what.

Bulldog4life
22-09-2020, 12:53 PM
The plans had something to do with the partners staying with other family members/friends so that they aren't alone. Sounds like Josh and Easton are going to play no matter what.

Yep that is what I understood too.

DOG GOD
22-09-2020, 07:07 PM

The other important area will be the ruck. This will be a big test for Tim. Ryder and Marshall are the type of ruckmen he typically struggles against. And both can clunk a mark up forward so he’ll need to be on his game. It’s a massive challenge for him.

What we don’t want, is their mids like Billings and Ross picking up 25+ possies. Our mids need to run hard BOTH ways, and we need to be a tackling machine. Faux tough man Jones should be back, and we can’t have him intimidating our guys. We have to tackle hard, and tackle often. Whichever team succumbs to the pressure will lose, and like you said above, we cannot have the saints kicking goals from 10-20 metres out....oh and if we kick 6.12, we will lose.

1eyedog
22-09-2020, 09:24 PM
This is really our first big test isn't it. So 2019 in the Eliminaton Final when we capitulated, we said we would learn from that but we haven't (didn't) show how during the home and away season. Well, here's our chance.

The Aints were all over us like a cheap suit the last time we played. Really the way they blew us away embarrassed and shocked us as they have done numerous times in the past. We have to have learnt that lesson, we must respond against them. Everything has fallen into place again for us. There's no excuse for a poor performance.

I believe we have a vastly more talented group than the Aints and while they are playing for each other I'm confident our midfield is superior and we will win, we simply have to. We have so much more finals experience than these guys if we play at our best we put them away.

jeemak
22-09-2020, 09:32 PM
I tend to agree. If we control the space around the footy and next possession out our backline will be eternally grateful to the midfield. What we saw against the Saints last time was the worst of us, terrible compression of our forward fifty making hard for us to score but easy to score against, bees to the honeypot with the disputed ball, and selective efforts in midfield pressure and accountability.

Truly a nightmare of an evening.

But, since the Richmond game we've not really had all of those issues show up at the same time in games, or at least not for full games or large chunks of them. I'm confident we've progressed closer towards having our heads around what it takes for these lapses not to take over our performances.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-09-2020, 09:33 PM
This is really our first big test isn't it. So 2019 in the Eliminaton Final when we capitulated, we said we would learn from that but we haven't (didn't) show how during the home and away season. Well, here's our chance.

The Aints were all over us like a cheap suit the last time we played. Really the way they blew us away embarrassed and shocked us as they have done numerous times in the past. We have to have learnt that lesson, we must respond against them. Everything has fallen into place again for us. There's no excuse for a poor performance.

I believe we have a vastly more talented group than the Aints and while they are playing for each other I'm confident our midfield is superior and we will win, we simply have to. We have so much more finals experience than these guys if we play at our best we put them away.

Agreed. We only lose this with a poor performance. Unless the saints pull one out of nowhere. We’ll see.

bornadog
22-09-2020, 09:34 PM

Last time we played them:

Clearances: Saints 32 to 29

Stoppages: 18 to 20

Cont Poss: 127 to 115 - Not good

Inside 50s: 40 to 39

We just didn't take our opportunities and turnovers cost us dearly

Players last time included. Lloyd, Dale, Gowers, Vandermeer, Suckling, Jong - so a big change

bulldogsthru&thru
22-09-2020, 09:38 PM

Considering how bad we played those stats aren’t horrible.

I think the saints are very gameplan dependant. We have two weeks to analyse it.

Hopefully the break doesn’t halt out momentum. The last three times we’ve had a break we have subsequently produced the three worst games in our recent history.

bornadog
22-09-2020, 09:43 PM
Considering how bad we played those stats aren’t horrible.

I think the saints are very gameplan dependant. We have two weeks to analyse it.

Hopefully the break doesn’t halt out momentum. The last three times we’ve had a break we have subsequently produced the three worst games in our recent history.

Players last time included. Lloyd, Dale, Gowers, Vandermeer, Suckling, Jong - so a big change

Bont on AFL 360 tonight was asked about last years elimination and what happens if Saints try to intimidate us. Bont believes the group has matured a bit from last year and the team knows to expect these things.

DOG GOD
22-09-2020, 09:48 PM

Bont on AFL 360 tonight was asked about last years elimination and what happens if Saints try to intimidate us. Bont believes the group has matured a bit from last year and the team knows to expect these things.
Playing GWS last year it was expected they would intimidate us and we went to water. Fingers crossed Bornadog, their mind is on the job the moment they step onto the grass, because it’s starts at the first bounce. We have to be hard, strong and 100% committed. Expect it . Expect it to come hard, and I expect the dogs to be READY !!!!

Sedat
22-09-2020, 11:03 PM

He probably expects the same charity that was afforded him from the umpires in the 2009 PF

jeemak
23-09-2020, 01:17 AM
He probably expects the same charity that was afforded him from the umpires in the 2009 PF

I think you just need to get over the fact that the only time that type of free kick was ever paid happened to be in that game at that time......you know, apparently at a time where Lake was warned not to touch Nick Riewoldt/ a particular player.....which is also something that has ever happened until that game and at that particular time...….

How that doesn't rate up there with one of the most ridiculous free kicks to impact a game of all time within the media tells you who everyone wanted to win that day.

By my count it was about six umpiring calls that were dubious that led directly to Saints goals. Only game I've ever said the umpires wrote the result.

jeemak
23-09-2020, 01:22 AM
Don't get my started on the most average of average players to win premierships, the one and only Max Rooke, and his hip and shoulder on Johnson in the 2008 preliminary final.

And before you get into me yes, Max Rooke was tough, but he was literally carried by that team.

whythelongface
23-09-2020, 07:54 AM

The inclusion of more mature and harder edge players ie. Keath and Bruce also makes a big difference. They add much needed muscle and are less likely to be intimidated. Bruce in particular will be throwing his weight around. Oh yeah and Libba is a huge in who will give it to the Saints and protect the likes of Bont.

Grantysghost
23-09-2020, 09:14 AM
I think you just need to get over the fact that the only time that type of free kick was ever paid happened to be in that game at that time......you know, apparently at a time where Lake was warned not to touch Nick Riewoldt/ a particular player.....which is also something that has ever happened until that game and at that particular time...….

How that doesn't rate up there with one of the most ridiculous free kicks to impact a game of all time within the media tells you who everyone wanted to win that day.

By my count it was about six umpiring calls that were dubious that led directly to Saints goals. Only game I've ever said the umpires wrote the result.

Too soon.

comrade
23-09-2020, 09:29 AM
Too soon.

For two historically unsuccessful sides, we do seem to rise up the ladder at similar times (late 90s, late 2000s, now).

Even though there isn't a single player from either side still playing, it's time to get revenge for 2009 and send them packing.

1eyedog
23-09-2020, 09:53 AM

We certainly worked our way back into the game but our start was deplorable. We must be switched on early.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-09-2020, 09:55 AM
We certainly worked our way back into the game but our start was deplorable. We must be switched on early.

Wasn't it the other way around? We started OK, but missed a few gettable set shots and then they just took off after our repeated turnovers and lack of defence?

1eyedog
23-09-2020, 10:09 AM
Wasn't it the other way around? We started OK, but missed a few gettable set shots and then they just took off after our repeated turnovers and lack of defence?

Maybe you're right I blocked much of it out and didn't rewatch any of it. What I do remember was how well they moved the ball and scored and how static we were.

We were easy pickings for them.

bornadog
23-09-2020, 10:27 AM
Maybe you're right I blocked much of it out and didn't rewatch any of it. What I do remember was how well they moved the ball and scored and how static we were.

I think we are a different team from when we played them back then, and with 4 or 5 different players with some good ins, we should be more competitive.

Bulldog Joe
23-09-2020, 10:28 AM

More interesting to look at who has been added to that side.

Hunter, Wood, Cordy, Duryea, Liberatore and Roarke Smith who played last week.

Think that is a pretty good upgrade and you would really only prefer Vandermeer of the outs to Roarke of the ins.

Vred
23-09-2020, 10:31 AM
More interesting to look at who has been added to that side.

Hunter, Wood, Cordy, Duryea, Liberatore and Roarke Smith who played last week.

Think that is a pretty good upgrade and you would really only prefer Vandermeer of the outs to Roarke of the ins.

id almost feel bad for doing that, but yes, that’s the only change I’d make, VDM for Roake

1eyedog
23-09-2020, 10:35 AM

We started ok but did indeed miss our opportunities in the first quarter. They then piled on 12 scoring shots to 5 through the second and third quarters and nailed many of them.

comrade
23-09-2020, 10:41 AM
We started ok but did indeed miss our opportunities in the first quarter. They then piled on 12 scoring shots to 5 through the second and third quarters and nailed many of them.

Most of those 12 scoring shots felt like they were from within 10m out. Need to deny them easy ball inside 50m and close down the space when it does get in there.

Happy Days
23-09-2020, 10:44 AM
I'm gonna rewatch the game this week, because I had the red mist the first time and can't really remember anything except what I believe were 13 goals kicked from the back of the square by Dan Butler.

bornadog
23-09-2020, 11:02 AM
I'm gonna rewatch the game this week, because I had the red mist the first time and can't really remember anything except what I believe were 13 goals kicked from the back of the square by Dan Butler.

2nd and 3rd quarters were not pretty

SonofScray
23-09-2020, 11:04 AM
Don't get my started on the most average of average players to win premierships, the one and only Max Rooke, and his hip and shoulder on Johnson in the 2008 preliminary final.

And before you get into me yes, Max Rooke was tough, but he was literally carried by that team.

Oh man, I had buried that one. Game defining moment.
09 was worse and more mentally damaging, but that moment in particular shit me for a long time.

josie
23-09-2020, 11:18 AM

That’s my recollection too. Our lack of running back to defend was deplorable. As was our goal kicking in first quarter when we had chance to possibly seal the game.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-09-2020, 11:25 AM
That’s my recollection too. Our lack of running back to defend was deplorable. As was our goal kicking in first quarter when we had chance to possibly seal the game.

Yeah non-competitive would be the word I would use to describe our first two rounds of the season. I would hope our elimination final won't look anywhere near the same, particulary after last year.

The bulldog tragician
23-09-2020, 11:38 AM
09 was worse and more mentally damaging, but that moment in particular shit me for a long time.

Walking out of the 2009 Preliminary Final my sister and I were grabbed by a guy who said: 'Oh man! you guys were absolutely killed by the umpires tonight!' The man was Mark 'Choco' Williams.

But of course we've all moved on from those many injustices and don't mull constantly over them any more .....

bulldogsthru&thru
23-09-2020, 11:46 AM
Walking out of the 2009 Preliminary Final my sister and I were grabbed by a guy who said: 'Oh man! you guys were absolutely killed by the umpires tonight!' The man was Mark 'Choco' Williams.

But of course we've all moved on from those many injustices and don't mull constantly over them any more .....

To keep us all sane let’s just tell ourselves all these heartbreaking moments led to the many wonderful 2016 moments. Without the heartbreak, 2016 doesn’t exist like it did.

https://i.postimg.cc/SKXMfWZ0/image.png (https://postimages.org/)

comrade
23-09-2020, 11:50 AM

I'm still adamant Harbrow touched the ball on Riewoldt's last goal haha.

jeemak
23-09-2020, 11:55 AM

Nah it was great stuff! All the commentators agreed that it was awesome because Geelong.

jeemak
23-09-2020, 11:57 AM
How was the free kick against Shaggy for the Saints first goal in 09? Unbelievable, and a massive harbinger to what was a completely shitful evening.

1eyedog
23-09-2020, 11:58 AM

I watched the highlights. There were so many out the back goals it was not funny. Our press was way too high it would have been physically impossible for any of our defenders to get back and defend the turnover or fast ball movement.

The good news is we are far better organised down there now with Wood back and Keath having played a full season inside our system.

1eyedog
23-09-2020, 12:00 PM

Oh thanks for raising that, that's great.

Happy Days
23-09-2020, 12:01 PM

Nothing controversial about it, he did. Add in the free to Riewoldt at the start of the third and the HTB on Hargrave that gifted their first goal and it's pretty safe to say we were jobbed out.

Of course, Gia, Bob and Lindsay Gilbee, the three best kicks and possibly best finishers in the side all missing goals in the last quarter didn't help. Think there's still a hole in my wardrobe at my parent's house from that game.

Bulldog Joe
23-09-2020, 12:05 PM

I'm still adamant that Eagleton kicked a goal, that was punched back into play from behind the line for play on.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-09-2020, 12:06 PM
I watched the highlights. There were so many out the back goals it was not funny. Our press was way too high it would have been physically impossible for any of our defenders to get back and defend the turnover or fast ball movement.

The good news is we are far better organised down there now with Wood back and Keath having played a full season inside our system.

Add to that, in round 2 the saints’ gameplan was unknown. The way we setup played right into their hands so it was a double edged sword in round 2. We now know exactly how they like to play.

If Bevo and the coaches don’t spend 2.5hrs watching Geelong vs Saints from this year and how Chris Scott perfectly coached his side against the saints, then I’d be unhappy.

Grantysghost
23-09-2020, 12:08 PM
Nothing controversial about it, he did. Add in the free to Riewoldt at the start of the third and the HTB on Hargrave that gifted their first goal and it's pretty safe to say we were jobbed out.

Of course, Gia, Bob and Lindsay Gilbee, the three best kicks and possibly best finishers in the side all missing goals in the last quarter didn't help. Think there's still a hole in my wardrobe at my parent's house from that game.

But we got revenge soon after.....Right?

https://media.giphy.com/media/KZNQ8h2oOOlMK6L727/giphy.gif

bornadog
23-09-2020, 12:35 PM

I am sorry but I still can't get over the deliberate OOB against Aker. He kicked the bloody ball 50 metres down the line and it went out.

The result from that free was a goal to Saints, as they passed the ball across the ground and then straight into the forward line for a goal. May have even been the one Harbrow touched.

bornadog
23-09-2020, 12:36 PM
But we got revenge soon after.....Right?

https://media.giphy.com/media/KZNQ8h2oOOlMK6L727/giphy.gif

Nope, doesn't count

1eyedog
23-09-2020, 12:37 PM
I am sorry but I still can't get over the deliberate OOB against Aker. He kicked the bloody ball 50 metres down the line and it went out.

The result from that free was a goal to Saints, as they passed the ball across the ground and then straight into the forward line for a goal. May have even been the one Harbrow touched.

Didn't Minson hit the post somewhere in there too. Critical time. Would have put us within a kick. Maybe that was against the Cats.

bornadog
23-09-2020, 12:40 PM
Didn't Minson hit the post somewhere in there too. Critical time. Would have put us within a kick. Maybe that was against the Cats.

can't remember that one. We kicked 1.4 in the last to their 2 goals

A painful picture

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eijzi2VU4AAum1y?format=png&name=900x900

bornadog
23-09-2020, 01:49 PM
Looks like Wallis and Naughton will be available and Vandermeer and Suckling are a test, so we have some tough decisions to make for the Saints match.

I would still go with no change at this stage.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-09-2020, 01:53 PM
Looks like Wallis and Naughton will be available and Vandermeer and Suckling are a test, so we have some tough decisions to make for the Saints match.

I would still go with no change at this stage.

Going to be an interesting selection.

I love VDM and suspect Bevo and the MC do too, but it's a massive risk to take on a player who plays at pace coming off a hamstring.

SonofScray
23-09-2020, 02:06 PM

I love VDM and suspect Bevo and the MC do too, but it's a massive risk to take on a player who plays at pace coming off a hamstring.

Dutch is going to be a very good player for us, and could come in and do a job. We look more dynamic with him trying to run and carry through the lines. At his age, experience and with a recent hammy issue, there is no way I am bringing him in for a final though.

comrade
23-09-2020, 02:24 PM
Dutch is going to be a very good player for us, and could come in and do a job. We look more dynamic with him trying to run and carry through the lines. At his age, experience and with a recent hammy issue, there is no way I am bringing him in for a final though.

Nah, I'm rolling the dice on VDM. Significant upgrade on Richards and his pace and toughness will be a real weapon against the Saints.

Let the Dutchman fly.

bornadog
23-09-2020, 02:38 PM

That is all I would be worried about to.

If he came in, who would you drop? For me it would be Roarke, although he did some nice things last week.

Happy Days
23-09-2020, 02:41 PM
I have no statistical backing for this but think that Richards has created 4-5 goals the past two games (that mattered) through his pressure inside 50. It’s not the most exciting stuff but don’t think his contribution is fully borne out in his possession totals.

bornadog
23-09-2020, 02:49 PM
I have no statistical backing for this but think that Richards has created 4-5 goals the past two games (that mattered) through his pressure inside 50. It’s not the most exciting stuff but don’t think his contribution is fully borne out in his possession totals.

He had two Goal assists, but agree he did do a few little things that lead to goals

Happy Days
23-09-2020, 02:51 PM
Just started the replay from round 2 and our first possession of the game was Caleb kicking it out on the full. Like that will ever happen again.

Happy Days
23-09-2020, 03:06 PM
For those of you saying we burned chances early you are 1000000% right. We should've been 4 goals up 10 minutes in.

jeemak
23-09-2020, 05:29 PM
Let me know how it goes HD.

azabob
23-09-2020, 05:56 PM
That is all I would be worried about to.

If he came in, who would you drop? For me it would be Roarke, although he did some nice things last week.

Roarke Smith is a lock for mine.

Pace will be a premium against the saints and if our fitness staff back him in Vandeermer should play.

Either Lipinski or Richards are the outs for mine.

SonofScray
23-09-2020, 06:04 PM

How did you rate Lipinski on the weekend?

I felt he was good and is the right type of player, despite having a different skill set, to have come in and replaced McLean. Has hit the scoreboard a few times.

bornadog
23-09-2020, 06:05 PM
Roarke Smith is a lock for mine.

Pace will be a premium against the saints and if our fitness staff back him in Vandeermer should play.

Richards has pace

azabob
23-09-2020, 06:10 PM
How did you rate Lipinski on the weekend?

I felt he was good and is the right type of player, despite having a different skill set, to have come in and replaced McLean. Has hit the scoreboard a few times.

I thought he was OK and seemed to get more involved rather than just floating around.

If Lipinski had a touch more leg speed I would have him ahead of Richards.

I still like Roarke Smith to play the McLean role.

My biggest concern against St.Kilda is their pace and ball movement.

Hard to tell on the TV, if Lipinski improved his defensive running?

azabob
23-09-2020, 06:11 PM
Richards has pace

Yeah, that is why I'd lean towards Richards.

Happy Days
23-09-2020, 07:04 PM
Let me know how it goes HD.

Turns out we actually won this time. Billings missed 5 straight set shots and then Bont kicked the sealer after we were tied the whole game.

A few things I (actually) noticed;

We leaked nearly all our goals from quick transitions out of our forward line, owing to generally horrible defence from our mids and forwards. As we all know this has improved out of sight since this game (partially due to players working harder, partially due to some personnel changes), so I *think* this shouldn't be as much of a problem. Also Zak Jones was their prime mover, who is coming into the game under a cloud (if he plays at all), which you would think has to help us.

St Kilda rotated just about every mid and spare player through their forward line at some stage, likely as a ploy to bring the heat on our defenders. This is something we could well expect to see repeated but didn't really hurt us that much. At any rate, if you aren't expecting sustained intense pressure from a forward line in a final in 2020 then you probably aren't going to win.

We had a lot of chances to convert, didn't, and then let them transition the ball too easily; not exactly what they could call a sustained recipe for success. Add in our far improved overall form and it's actually made me feel far more confident about the game.

dog town
23-09-2020, 07:09 PM
Turns out we actually won this time. Billings missed 5 straight set shots and then Bont kicked the sealer after we were tied the whole game.

A few things I (actually) noticed;

We leaked nearly all our goals from quick transitions out of our forward line, owing to generally horrible defence from our mids and forwards. As we all know this has improved out of sight since this game (partially due to players working harder, partially due to some personnel changes), so I *think* this shouldn't be as much of a problem. Also Zak Jones was their prime mover, who is coming into the game under a cloud (if he plays at all), which you would think has to help us.

St Kilda rotated just about every mid and spare player through their forward line at some stage, likely as a ploy to bring the heat on our defenders. This is something we could well expect to see repeated but didn't really hurt us that much. At any rate, if you aren't expecting sustained intense pressure from a forward line in a final in 2020 then you probably aren't going to win.

We had a lot of chances to convert, didn't, and then let them transition the ball too easily; not exactly what they could call a sustained recipe for success. Add in our far improved overall form and it's actually made me feel far more confident about the game. We started defending deeper after that game and didn’t press as high as we were for the first two games.

jeemak
23-09-2020, 07:18 PM
We started defending deeper after that game and didn’t press as high as we were for the first two games.

With a couple of noticeable exceptions/ lapses through the year that were costly.

DOG GOD
23-09-2020, 07:27 PM
One player we need to keep a leash on is Billings. His last 3 outings against us has netted an avge of 25 disposals, 5 marks and 2 goals.
Yes, he’s a good player, but we’ve made him look like an absolute superstar, and we can’t allow him off the leash.
So who goes to him ?

comrade
23-09-2020, 07:39 PM
One player we need to keep a leash on is Billings. His last 3 outings against us has netted an avge of 25 disposals, 5 marks and 2 goals.
Yes, he’s a good player, but we’ve made him look like an absolute superstar, and we can’t allow him off the leash.
So who goes to him ?

Would have been a good job for Toby :(

Maybe Roarke Smith can follow him around as a defensive winger?

azabob
23-09-2020, 08:04 PM
Would have been a good job for Toby :(

Maybe Roarke Smith can follow him around as a defensive winger?

I’ve been that train since McLean went down.

Bulldog4life
24-09-2020, 09:40 AM

I never rewatch when we lose. Just can't do it.

Bulldog4life
24-09-2020, 09:42 AM
id almost feel bad for doing that, but yes, that’s the only change I’d make, VDM for Roake

Roarke did play well. I wonder if the MC would prefer VDM to Richards?

Bulldog4life
24-09-2020, 09:42 AM

Double post.

1eyedog
24-09-2020, 10:04 AM
I never rewatch when we lose. Just can't do it.

It is difficult. I rewatched the 2008 Prelim against Geelong yesterday. Man we were in that up to our eyeballs there were some dodgy umpiring decisions and just some absolute tin-arsed Geelong play that was the difference.

Bulldog4life
24-09-2020, 10:10 AM
It is difficult. I rewatched the 2008 Prelim against Geelong yesterday. Man we were in that up to our eyeballs there were some dodgy umpiring decisions and just some absolute tin-arsed Geelong play that was the difference.

Yeah I remember that game. I love rewatching the games we win. :)

bornadog
26-09-2020, 11:40 AM
Luke Beveridge has confirmed that Aaron Naughton will play against the Saints in the elimination final.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-09-2020, 11:43 AM
Luke Beveridge has confirmed that Aaron Naughton will play against the Saints in the elimination final.

No mention of Wally?

bornadog
26-09-2020, 11:58 AM
No mention of Wally?

In his press conference after the game, he said Wally would play.

bornadog
26-09-2020, 12:03 PM
Daniel encourages helmet use as Bulldogs consider options for injured Naughton (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/daniel-encourages-helmet-use-as-bulldogs-consider-options-for-injured-naughton-20200925-p55z92.html)

Western Bulldogs playmaker Caleb Daniel would welcome key forward Aaron Naughton to the 'helmet club' if he sported headgear to protect his surgically repaired cheekbone next week.

The Bulldogs will face St Kilda in the elimination final at the Gabba next Saturday and Naughton is racing the clock to return after needing surgery to fix a depressed fracture of his cheekbone.

The Bulldogs are hopeful Naughton, who has kicked 14 goals this season, will be able to play and the helmet-wearing Daniel suggested the team were looking at ways to help support the injury including possibly using a helmet.

"I think they are trying to work that out but if he does he will be welcomed, that's for sure," Daniel said on Friday.

Daniel was joined by Marcus Bontempelli and Jack Macrae in the All-Australian side this week and it was the 24-year-old's first appearance after a season where his elite kicking skills have stood out.

"My vision sets me apart a little bit, I can see some targets up the field that other players can't," Daniel said.

"But I have to give full credit to the training staff and coaches as we are one of the only sides I've heard of that comes out from day one in pre-season using the footy.

"That really helps being able to train and hone your craft."

Macrae proudly welcomed his All-Australian selection but has his sights on leading the side's younger players into the elimination final.

"I don't know how many of us played in 2015 or 2016 [finals] but it would be less than half the side," Macrae said.

"That's my role; To help bring these young guys along and show them the way."

Off the field, Macrae's little brother Finlay is among the leading under-18 players in Victoria and has been trying to prepare for the draft while not playing games.

Macrae has been, from the club's Queensland hub, helping his brother prepare for interviews with AFL clubs.

"It's a challenging year for all the under-18 players trying to keep fit and mentally ready," Macrae said.

"Hopefully he can manage to play a bit of footy later in the year. It's very different. We have been talking all the time about things in training he can do to stay ready and keep improving too.

"He's handled it really well.

"He's similar to me. He's probably got a few of my good traits and managed to shed a few of my bad ones."

Vred
26-09-2020, 01:59 PM
No mention of Wally?
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/819036/naughton-will-play-says-beveridge?fbclid=IwAR0lEameRmDoYBuSWnfW4_S026LqKXpePMP2scBSX wCVVhYiJyVk86meflI

Both to play mate, looks like if we can fit VDM in if his good to go we should be strongest 22 we can field

Grantysghost
26-09-2020, 02:08 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/819036/naughton-will-play-says-beveridge?fbclid=IwAR0lEameRmDoYBuSWnfW4_S026LqKXpePMP2scBSX wCVVhYiJyVk86meflI

Both to play mate, looks like if we can fit VDM in if his good to go we should be strongest 22 we can field

Great news. How amazing we have a 20 yr old thats so important the future is bright. Don't think we've ever had a team with this much depth before. Plus, as far as I'm aware we also have the number 1 pick. Logan Mcdonald up there too but as good as.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-09-2020, 03:03 PM
Great news. Sounds like we’ll essentially be full strength. No excuses!

Bullies
26-09-2020, 10:33 PM
Wally still looks tender. Doing drills but you can see not 100%. Not an injury you want to carry into a big game. Will be interesting to see where he is at same time next week. I remember Jose Romero carrying one into the Prelim in 97 and we left out Kolyniuk. It cost us.

soupman
26-09-2020, 11:40 PM
Wally still looks tender. Doing drills but you can see not 100%. Not an injury you want to carry into a big game. Will be interesting to see where he is at same time next week. I remember Jose Romero carrying one into the Prelim in 97 and we left out Kolyniuk. It cost us.

I guess the difference here is that we aren't leaving out Kolynuik, we are leaving out Sam Lloyd. Much better risk/reward ratio in Mitch's favour.

1eyedog
27-09-2020, 01:39 AM
Mitch will have a jab and be fine.

Bulldog4life
27-09-2020, 12:11 PM

Yep he wouldn't be having jab at training just in the real stuff.

The bulldog tragician
27-09-2020, 12:37 PM
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/aaron-naughton-to-play-as-bulldogs-prepare-to-get-physical-against-saints-20200926-p55zh9.html

September 26, 2020 — 11.27am
After being ambushed in last year's elimination final, when Greater Western Sydney took a physical approach into the finals, the Western Bulldogs will be on the front foot when they meet St Kilda in next Saturday's elimination final.

After that loss, which saw star midfielder Marcus Bontempelli attacked relentlessly, premiership coach Luke Beveridge said they had been taught a valuable lesson that had not been forgotten.

"When you think back to that final it was a bit extreme. As I've said before it was a credit to the GWS outfit to do what they did and they almost won the whole thing off that template," Beveridge said.

"I think it's just an awareness of how physical the challenge of the game may be. I think both teams will prepare for that. It's tempering your focus on that with getting your core style established in the game. That's our challenge and we'll do our best to meet that head on."

The Bulldogs rediscovered their form in 2020 when they took it up to the Giants in round three, winning 10 of their final 15 matches to slot into seventh spot, the fourth time under Beveridge they have made an elimination final.

Bontempelli, who was named in the All-Australian team for the third time after another outstanding season, said the increased intensity in finals was a layer of the game they needed to prepare for but he said it would be dangerous to focus on that aspect too much.

"Understanding it is a key component of the game is important but then not letting it throw out the balance of the rest of our style and the way we want to play the game," Bontempelli said.

High flying forward Aaron Naughton will play despite having surgery to fix a fracture of the cheekbone while smart forward Mitch Wallis is a "near certainty" to play after hurting his shoulder against Fremantle.

"'Naughts' will be fine to play. He's a bit out of sync now because of having surgery but he'll train with the group on Monday and have a week together with the whole squad," Beveridge said.

The Bulldogs played eight of their 10 matches in Queensland at Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast where they are staying but Bontempelli said playing at the Gabba held no fears for the Bulldogs.

Beveridge said the club was rapt that three Bulldogs, Bontempelli, Jackson Macrae and Caleb Daniel had been named in the All-Australian team and defended the decision to name Bontempelli and Macrae in positions they hardly played in this season.

"He's played there a little bit and I know there's some conjecture around specialist roles but I think if you ask the hypothetical, 'If Marcus played in the forward line all year how many goals would he kick?' He could possibly win the Coleman," Beveridge said.

"If you ask any backman, 'What sort of forward line would you want to play against?' If it's got Bontempelli, [Patrick] Dangerfield and [Dustin] Martin in it, as opposed to some of those boys who missed out, who had outstanding years, I think they'd probably rather play against the other lads.

"They've all earned it and Marcus has been outstanding."

Bumper Bulldogs
27-09-2020, 08:36 PM

Jab the lot if needed. No second chances now.

Has a 2016 feel about it didn’t it

Axe Man
28-09-2020, 11:17 AM
AFL.com (https://www.afl.com.au/news/510444/mock-teams-who-s-playing-finals-who-s-unlucky-we-make-the-call) predicted teams:

St Kilda v Western Bulldogs, Gabba, 4.40pm AEST

St Kilda

B: Callum Wilkie, Dougal Howard, Ben Paton
HB: Nick Coffield, Jake Carlisle, Ben Long
C: Bradley Hill, Seb Ross, Hunter Clark
HF: Jack Billings, Tim Membrey, Jack Sinclair
F: Rowan Marshall, Max King, Dan Butler
Foll: Paddy Ryder, Jack Steele, Zak Jones
I/C: Dan Hannebery, Jarryn Geary, Jack Lonie, Josh Battle
Emerg: Dean Kent, Nick Hind, Jonathon Marsh, Dylan Roberton

In: Zak Jones
Out: Dean Kent (omitted)

UNAVAILABLE: Jade Gresham (back)

NOTES: Should Lonie be passed fit with bone bruising to his knee, the biggest selection headache will come down to who falls out for Jones. Flip a coin between Kent or Sinclair, with the latter being selected purely because he's had more impact in the last month. Carlisle will be needed for his experience against the Dogs' tall timber. - Mitch Cleary

Western Bulldogs

B: Zaine Cordy, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
HB: Hayden Crozier, Ryan Gardner, Easton Wood
C: Lachie Hunter, Josh Dunkley, Bailey Smith
HF: Ed Richards, Josh Bruce, Patrick Lipinski
F: Mitch Wallis, Aaron Naughton, Marcus Bontempelli
Foll: Tim English, Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore
I/C: Taylor Duryea, Jason Johannisen, Bailey Williams, Laitham Vandermeer
Emerg: Roarke Smith, Jordon Sweet, Matt Suckling, Lewis Young

In: Laitham Vandermeer
Out: Roarke Smith (omitted)

UNAVAILABLE: Toby McLean (knee), Lin Jong (ankle), Rhylee West (groin), Josh Schache (Achilles), Cody Weightman (ankle)

NOTES: There will be nervous waits for Laitham Vandermeer, Mitch Wallis and Aaron Naughton who all need to pass fitness tests to be ready for the elimination final. Roarke Smith has been handy across the wing and half-back line, but he and Patrick Lipinski seem like the two that might be expendable if Vandermeer or Matt Suckling get brought back in. - Jourdan Canil

bulldogsthru&thru
28-09-2020, 11:53 AM
It’d be a brave call to bring in Vandermeer and also drop Smith who’s probably playing his best football. I’ll back the MC. Ha! They got us here so I’ll trust their judgement.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-09-2020, 02:57 PM
Naughton sporting a helmet at training today. We’ll have dual helmet wearers Saturday arvo.

dog town
28-09-2020, 03:58 PM
It’d be a brave call to bring in Vandermeer and also drop Smith who’s probably playing his best football. I’ll back the MC. Ha! They got us here so I’ll trust their judgement. I think Vandermeer plays if he is ready it’s just a matter of who goes out.

kruder
28-09-2020, 04:29 PM
Naughton sporting a helmet at training today. We’ll have dual helmet wearers Saturday arvo.

Hopefully, he can kick like Caleb too :p

bornadog
28-09-2020, 04:59 PM
Josh Bruce left the hub at the weekend for the birth of his second child. All going well, under protocols set to rejoin the Dogs training group soon

bulldogsthru&thru
28-09-2020, 05:07 PM
Josh Bruce left the hub at the weekend for the birth of his second child. All going well, under protocols set to rejoin the Dogs training group soon

So he would have missed it had we played the eagles.

bornadog
28-09-2020, 05:10 PM
So he would have missed it had we played the eagles.

Looks like it

1eyedog
28-09-2020, 05:11 PM
Would prefer Lippa over Suckers he played great against the Dockers. So did Roarke, but he's depth and needs to make way for Laith if he's passed fit.

bornadog
28-09-2020, 05:13 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1310455059226927104/OjdD7K2e?format=jpg&name=medium

ratsmac
28-09-2020, 05:38 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1310455059226927104/OjdD7K2e?format=jpg&name=medium

Nothing can hold him back now. He could smash through walls with that thing on!

1eyedog
28-09-2020, 07:00 PM
It doesn't look like it protects much of the cheekbone. I guess the fracture was back just in front of his ear.

Rocco Jones
28-09-2020, 07:37 PM
It doesn't look like it protects much of the cheekbone. I guess the fracture was back just in front of his ear.

Apparently it is to protect where the plate was inserted.

1eyedog
28-09-2020, 09:22 PM
Love the mullet out the back

Bumper Bulldogs
01-10-2020, 09:53 PM
Maybe it’s a decoy like the Ling Jon shoulder a couple of years back.

ratsmac
02-10-2020, 05:48 PM
I'm so nervous but not about the game, I'm nervous about when shenanigans the MC might pull!

comrade
02-10-2020, 06:01 PM
I'm so nervous but not about the game, I'm nervous about when shenanigans the MC might pull!

He's just waiting for the call...

https://i.ibb.co/QfnwgQq/a270001ca0a282bd9a91cc32209696e3.jpg (https://ibb.co/HVY8S4M)

GVGjr
02-10-2020, 06:37 PM

We are in a good place, so strap yourself in and enjoy the show

ratsmac
02-10-2020, 06:48 PM

https://i.ibb.co/QfnwgQq/a270001ca0a282bd9a91cc32209696e3.jpg (https://ibb.co/HVY8S4M)

Oh hell no. Surely Bevo isn't that cruel.

Rocket Science
02-10-2020, 07:25 PM
The hubris.

NO CHANGE!

Axe Man
02-10-2020, 07:28 PM

Named as an emergency, Billy is still a chance!

jeemak
02-10-2020, 07:30 PM
Billy still a massive chance named as an emergency!

azabob
02-10-2020, 07:32 PM
TEAM

St Kilda v Western Bulldogs
Saturday 3 October, 4.40pm AEST
The Gabba, Brisbane

B: Easton Wood, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
HB: Bailey Williams, Ryan Gardner, Hayden Crozier
C: Bailey Smith, Jack Macrae, Jason Johannisen
HF: Ed Richards, Josh Bruce, Mitch Wallis
F: Tom Liberatore, Aaron Naughton, Lachie Hunter
Foll: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Josh Dunkley
Int: Zaine Cordy, Taylor Duryea, Pat Lipinski, Roarke Smith
Emer: Jackson Trengove, Laitham Vandermeer, Billy Gowers, Bailey Dale

NO CHANGE

josie
02-10-2020, 07:34 PM
What’s chances of Bevo playing Gowers and Wally out (injury worse than club has been letting in). Gee I hope this sinking feeling I’ve got is wrong.

Axe Man
02-10-2020, 07:40 PM
What’s chances of Bevo playing Gowers and Wally out (injury worse than club has been letting in). Gee I hope this sinking feeling I’ve got is wrong.

I'm not sure what the point of that would be. I'm pretty sure closed training sessions aren't possible on the Gold Coast so St Kilda would be fully aware if Mitch didn't look right.

mjp
02-10-2020, 07:46 PM
I am dreading this game.

comrade
02-10-2020, 07:47 PM
I am dreading this game.

Why? No worse than a 50/50 game.

Rocket Science
02-10-2020, 07:48 PM
That is one fascinating set of emergencies for a host of reasons.

josie
02-10-2020, 07:49 PM
I'm not sure what the point of that would be. I'm pretty sure closed training sessions aren't possible on the Gold Coast so St Kilda would be fully aware if Mitch didn't look right.

I hope your right Axe Man.

Bulldog Joe
02-10-2020, 07:52 PM
I am dreading this game.

Hopefully a convincing performance to put your demons to rest.

You know you really shouldn't have Demons about playing Saints:cool:

GVGjr
02-10-2020, 07:56 PM
That is one fascinating set of emergencies for a host of reasons.

They have certainly covered Naughton and Wallis in case there is a late problem

GVGjr
02-10-2020, 07:57 PM
I am dreading this game.

I'm not underestimating the Saints because they have been excellent but we have hit our straps and I really like our chances

Grantysghost
02-10-2020, 08:01 PM
I'm not underestimating the Saints because they have been excellent but we have hit our straps and I really like our chances

Compare the two midfields. They're pretty thin there, especially for inside guys.
I'm confident too. Still 9 premiership players in the side.

merantau
02-10-2020, 08:04 PM
I like our chances. No stone left unturned in our preparation I am sure. We are in our best form for the year. Let's Go Dogs!

bulldogsthru&thru
02-10-2020, 08:10 PM

For what it’s worth there have been plenty of photos of Wally and he looked quite happy in them. He’d have to be a fantastic actor if he were going to miss as he’d be devastated after having missed finals in 16 and 19.

azabob
02-10-2020, 08:24 PM
Sirswampthing on Twitter

WBD name an unchanged lineup for the 2020 Elimination Final
The last time WBD played with an unchanged lineup was the 2019 Elimination Final

@westernbulldogs #AFLSaintsDogs @AFL #AFLFinals

Happy Days
02-10-2020, 08:32 PM
Sirswampthing on Twitter

WBD name an unchanged lineup for the 2020 Elimination Final
The last time WBD played with an unchanged lineup was the 2019 Elimination Final

@westernbulldogs #AFLSaintsDogs @AFL #AFLFinals

We should've made five changes imo.

bornadog
02-10-2020, 08:47 PM
I am dreading this game.

Yes the nervous are kicking in

mjp
02-10-2020, 08:58 PM
Why? No worse than a 50/50 game.

I tried to explain it in my "I hate this matchup" thread...

I don't like the way we match up with the Saints. I know that in theory we could win...I just don't think we will. Honestly, I would rather play West Coast or Geelong or Brisbane or even Richmond than the Saints. Our zoning style of defense doesn't work vs them. We have an amazing ability to let outside mid/forward types (and the Saints have a billion of them) to have 25 possession + 3-goal games...

Oh yeah. And our effort in games when we are playing the 'top' sides has been pretty much immaculate. Versus the mid rangers who the players think we are better than? Not so much...

Like I said, I am dreading it. I don't want to be a downer on everyone btw (and usually try not to be) but this game does not have me excited to strap myself in to watch it...

bornadog
02-10-2020, 09:10 PM

I don't like the way we match up with the Saints. I know that in theory we could win...I just don't think we will. Honestly, I would rather play West Coast or Geelong or Brisbane or even Richmond than the Saints. Our zoning style of defense doesn't work vs them. We have an amazing ability to let outside mid/forward types (and the Saints have a billion of them) to have 25 possession + 3-goal games...

Oh yeah. And our effort in games when we are playing the 'top' sides has been pretty much immaculate. Versus the mid rangers who the players think we are better than? Not so much...

Like I said, I am dreading it. I don't want to be a downer on everyone btw (and usually try not to be) but this game does not have me excited to strap myself in to watch it...

Good to hear Bevo saying he has a plan b and c

MrMahatma
02-10-2020, 09:19 PM

I feel 100% the same. We match up poorly and I just reckon we get rolled.

I mean, I reckon we’re a better chance of winning the flag than them, but that they’re a team that’ll beat us.

kruder
02-10-2020, 09:43 PM
Definitely think we are going in with a small forward down, worried about our scoring power with the side selected.

Will be interesting to see how they use Daniel and JJ in this, I think we will see them forward at stages potentially swapping with Richards and Smith.

comrade
02-10-2020, 09:48 PM

Besides Carlton, we didn’t really lose to a side below us all season and effort overall seemed fine. I don’t think effort will be a problem tomorrow in a cut throat final.

DOG GOD
02-10-2020, 10:08 PM
For mine it will come down to a few certain points..

1) we HAVE to win the midfield stoppages.

2) we HAVE to kick more goals than points

3) we CANNOT allow players like billing’s, Steele, Ross and Hill to kick multiple goals or get 25+ possessions.

jazzadogs
02-10-2020, 11:33 PM
I'm worried after seeing the aerial shots of the Gabba tonight, that our zone will stretch too wide on the large ground and they will be able to cut through it. We are so dependent on pressuring the ball carrier so that they can't move the ball quickly and effectively - I'm hopeful that if we can keep the pressure up, we can limit those goals. I would almost guarantee that the Saints get at least one or two goals with speed out the back, but I'm hopeful it is only one or two.

The Saints played us well in Round 2 but our game has been refined since then, and I think we are ready to match them. Unless they decide to scratch our faces and the umpires forget that their job is to control the game.

bornadog
02-10-2020, 11:35 PM
I'm worried after seeing the aerial shots of the Gabba tonight, that our zone will stretch too wide on the large ground and they will be able to cut through it. We are so dependent on pressuring the ball carrier so that they can't move the ball quickly and effectively - I'm hopeful that if we can keep the pressure up, we can limit those goals. I would almost guarantee that the Saints get at least one or two goals with speed out the back, but I'm hopeful it is only one or two.

The Saints played us well in Round 2 but our game has been refined since then, and I think we are ready to match them. Unless they decide to scratch our faces and the umpires forget that their job is to control the game.

Same size as SCG and 5m shorter in length than the G

The Bulldogs Bite
02-10-2020, 11:39 PM
Can we stop pretending St Kilda are one of the best sides in it?

We might lose, and they've shown they can play good footy, but Christ they're hardly worth fearing.

bornadog
02-10-2020, 11:54 PM

We might lose, and they've shown they can play good footy, but Christ they're hardly worth fearing.

They played well in the first half of the season but they were not impressive in the second half.

westbulldog
03-10-2020, 11:39 AM

Agreed and well said anyone would think they are top of the ladder and undefeated for 3 years.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-10-2020, 12:17 PM
Billy still a massive chance named as an emergency!

I have a feeling Billy will play a rambunctious role this campaign. His physicality may be required.

Happy Days
03-10-2020, 12:20 PM
I have a feeling Billy will play a rambunctious role this campaign. His physicality may be required.

Get that outta here.

Jeanette54
03-10-2020, 01:04 PM
I have just watched the Freemantle game again, which is good to sit back and watch, once you know we have won. It gives you a chance to quietly observe the contributors, and some of the less obvious things that they do. Conversely you note the shortcomings and less obvious clangers.

After this I am more confident about today's outcome. It was very much about a total team effort, but with the standout effort being Lachie Hunter. Also the Saints need to beware Josh Bruce. Signs are he is back, big time. And against his old team, could just prove to be their nemesis.

azabob
03-10-2020, 01:59 PM
I have just watched the Freemantle game again, which is good to sit back and watch, once you know we have won. It gives you a chance to quietly observe the contributors, and some of the less obvious things that they do. Conversely you note the shortcomings and less obvious clangers.

After this I am more confident about today's outcome. It was very much about a total team effort, but with the standout effort being Lachie Hunter. Also the Saints need to beware Josh Bruce. Signs are he is back, big time. And against his old team, could just prove to be their nemesis.

Plus Bruce coming off a high of seeing his second child being born?

SquirrelGrip
03-10-2020, 02:25 PM

I’ve been scouring the AFL site - where do I find stats on rambunctiousness? I’m sure Billy would be top 3 in the league.

josie
03-10-2020, 02:46 PM

In the words of ear worm of a song by The Cardigans (good band & like ABBA a great Swedish export) “I need some fine wine & you, you need to be nicer”:
Sit
Good dog
Stay
Bad dog
Woo
Down
Roll over

If Billy plays he needs to be in a state of doggie superposition (Schrodinger’s dog) - both Bad - strike oppo over like 10 pins and Good Dog - not give away silly frees and bloody well kick straight for goal!!

josie
03-10-2020, 02:52 PM
I’ve been scouring the AFL site - where do I find stats on rambunctiousness? I’m sure Billy would be top 3 in the league.

Myself and others losing our (squirrel) grip here-not sticking to thread title.....Would Daniher be right up there? Who else would’ve a candidate? Mitch Robinson from Lions? This is worth a separate thread.

I’m trying to pass the time until 4:40 - I hope we are all happy tonight dear woofers. Glad Bevo went for no changes and hope no late ones either.