PDA

View Full Version : How good is Libba - I declare, he is an A grader

bornadog
20-09-2020, 10:17 PM
Tough as nails, Libba is a contested ball beast with 15 from his 25 disposals, 7 clearances, 6 inside 50s, 8 tackles and never stops trying.

This bloke is an A grader, no doubt

The bulldog tragician
20-09-2020, 10:21 PM
Tough as nails, Libba is a contested ball beast with 15 from his 25 disposals, 7 clearances, 6 inside 50s, 8 tackles and never stops trying.

The commentary team seemed vaguely surprised but at least they mentioned it. He is in career best form. So much of what he does isn't captured as a stat. I love Libba and am so glad that we can see him at his pesky best.

Grantysghost
20-09-2020, 10:21 PM
A + . Incredibly under rated. He was pivotal in 2016 and I believe becoming a dad has been great for him off field. We've done well out of the FS rule.

Eastdog
20-09-2020, 10:22 PM
Super year from Libba.

bornadog
20-09-2020, 10:30 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EiWuI95UMAYQn3J?format=jpg&name=large

Testekill
20-09-2020, 10:33 PM
A + . Incredibly under rated. He was pivotal in 2016 and I believe becoming a dad has been great for him off field. We've done well out of the FS rule.

I reckon cutting the other members of the rat pack helped him grow up as well. He looked like he was going to have a massive 2019 based on his preseason before injuring his ACL and you'd think the loss of Stringer and Dahlhaus led to him pulling his head in.

jeemak
20-09-2020, 10:53 PM
He's in excellent condition, so strong in the upper body.

Outstanding season that he's having.

ledge
20-09-2020, 10:53 PM
We walk taller when he is playing, I think the players love him as much as we do.
He is one strange relaxed character with that incredible ability to be loved by everyone.

AshMac
20-09-2020, 10:57 PM
He is back to the form we all fell in love with in 2016 - and honestly has probably gone past it. He is our enforcer and all the boys stand a meter taller when he is next to them.

More importantly, he is our barometer, when he plays well we play well. In career best form at the right time of the year.

Twodogs
20-09-2020, 10:59 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EiWuI95UMAYQn3J?format=jpg&name=large

Where did you see that BAD? That wasn't just tonight surely? Most teams don't have that many pressure acts in a game

Sedat
20-09-2020, 11:03 PM
We are 4-0 in finals with Libba
We are 0-2 in finals without Libba

Bring it on

Eastdog
20-09-2020, 11:32 PM
Would have to be one of our most important players.

bornadog
21-09-2020, 12:12 AM
Where did you see that BAD? That wasn't just tonight surely? Most teams don't have that many pressure acts in a game

On twitter:

Tom Liberatore tonight:
41 pressure acts
25 disposals
88% disposal efficiency
12 score involvements
8 tackles
7 clearances
6 inside 50s
2 goal assists
371 metres gained

angelopetraglia
21-09-2020, 12:20 AM
We walk taller with Libba in the team. He has grown as the season has progressed. He is playing some of the best footy of his career in recent weeks. Still has the hard edge and pressure he is known for but so is calm and creative with the ball in hand. Love him.

Twodogs
21-09-2020, 12:24 AM
On twitter:

Tom Liberatore tonight:
41 pressure acts
25 disposals
88% disposal efficiency
12 score involvements
8 tackles
7 clearances
6 inside 50s
2 goal assists
371 metres gained

Incredible stats.

Vred
21-09-2020, 02:58 AM
Libba, by far my favorite player, he just gets the job done in close.

I cannot wait to see what he brings in the finals series

merantau
21-09-2020, 06:53 AM
His was an amazing game tonight. The smoke comes out of the chimney but the power is generated in the engine room.

azabob
21-09-2020, 08:44 AM

Good to see last nights game changed your mind ;)

ratsmac
21-09-2020, 09:13 AM
Watched the game with my daughters boyfriend yesterday who is a essendon supporter, the poor bloke is 20 and hasn't seen essendon win a final or be any good for that matter. However he was barracking for the dogs yesterday with me through force of you want to see my daughter these are the rules, but I digress. Anyway early in the game he makes the comment "Libba frustrates me, he always makes mistakes!" I didn't kick him out of my house because I'm smart too you see, I'll let Libba show him himself. After a quick Liberatore lesson, by the last quarter he was cheering Libba and saying he's a gun. Case dismissed your honour!

Grantysghost
21-09-2020, 09:42 AM
Watched the game with my daughters boyfriend yesterday who is a essendon supporter, the poor bloke is 20 and hasn't seen essendon win a final or be any good for that matter. However he was barracking for the dogs yesterday with me through force of you want to see my daughter these are the rules, but I digress. Anyway early in the game he makes the comment "Libba frustrates me, he always makes mistakes!" I didn't kick him out of my house because I'm smart too you see, I'll let Libba show him himself. After a quick Liberatore lesson, by the last quarter he was cheering Libba and saying he's a gun. Case dismissed your honour!

That does put it into some perspective. By the time I was 20 I think I'd seen 2? 1985 semi v North and 1992 v Saints at Waverley. And we had some dire times back then.

comrade
21-09-2020, 09:54 AM
Honestly, you wouldn't want the ball in anyone else's hands be it in close or wide open in space. His footy nous combined with his toughness and skill is a very rare combination. Blessed to be able to see him do his thing.

hujsh
21-09-2020, 09:57 AM
That ball he kicked into the middle to open up the field was the perfect example of his often overlooked class. The poise, vision and execution required to identify and pull that off was certainly a-grade

bulldogsthru&thru
21-09-2020, 09:58 AM
That kick from the far wing into the centre square (I forget to who) was just sublime. That was one of the best kicks I have ever seen in a game of football. What amazing vision he has. He’s gone up a notch no doubt. Out and out gun.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-09-2020, 09:59 AM
That ball he kicked into the middle to open up the field was the perfect example of his often overlooked class. The poise, vision and execution required to identify and pull that off was certainly a-grade

Jinx!

SonofScray
21-09-2020, 10:16 AM
In a team that hasn't got many players that really embody what we love and recognise as our Club at its best, he is a beacon. We had a few of these characters leave us recently (Smith, Picken, Morris) and Libba has been in the wilderness a bit through injury and perhaps a bit of personal reflection with life changes.

He is dogged, but to emphasise that alone ignore his class. He is combative, but to emphasise that alone ignore his discipline. He is eccentric but to emphasise that ignores his leadership.

We definitely walk taller with him in the side, he can be like a little bit of sand in our shoe that irritates and drives us to take some action and get things on our terms. A man made for the cut and thrust of finals footy.

Its been a joy watching him re-emerge as a gun footballer.

EasternWest
21-09-2020, 10:18 AM

He is a really good kick.

Mofra
21-09-2020, 10:20 AM
Elite left foot - it's often overlooked he won the kicking test at draft camp in his draft year.

He still runs like Bill Shorten though.

bornadog
21-09-2020, 10:46 AM
Elite left foot - it's often overlooked he won the kicking test at draft camp in his draft year.

He still runs like Bill Shorten though.

Last week we had 12 left footers in the team. Must have had at least 11 yesterday with Suckling out.

bornadog
21-09-2020, 11:59 AM
A great stat

Players to have 40 pressure acts and 12 score involvements in AFL history:

TOM LIBERATORE
Kieren Jack

Topdog
21-09-2020, 12:01 PM
I wanted to give him all the votes in the game last night.

He was just incredible. Contested everything, got hands into everything, used the ball smartly.

Bulldog4life
21-09-2020, 12:09 PM
Libba jnr is a star. As Sedat posted we haven't lost a final with him in the side. Speaks volumes.

kruder
21-09-2020, 12:50 PM
Liiiiiibbbbbaaaaa! Just love saying his name. Love him even more as a player.

I remember Jordan Lewis saying earlier this year that Libba is the best player in the phone box he has come up against.

Jeanette54
21-09-2020, 01:47 PM
Libba junior is like his father, in that he is the barometer of the team's performance. If Libba (junior or senior) is playing well he drags the rest of the team along with him. So hard at the coal face, it must be very intimidating to get in the phone box with him.

Sedat
21-09-2020, 01:55 PM
The only time Libba hasn't been an A Grader since 2011 has been when he's injured and in 2017 when he took an unscheduled mental gap year. You could throw in a few weeks late in season 2012 when he took an unfortunate detour down King St at 4am on a Sunday morning, but even that was perversely impressive as he still got to training on time a few short hours later.

He is a star and still the 2nd best player on our list. His skill, vision, decision making and footy IQ are off the charts, and yet the media still think of him as little more than an in-and-under mid. He is that and so much more.

In 45 years of watching footy, I can only think of Greg Williams and maybe Sam Mitchell who have better vision and cleaner hands than Libba in traffic. That's pretty good company and well deserved.

strebla
21-09-2020, 02:02 PM
Been my favourite for many years now his 2 knee injuries aside. He is the very fabric of the Bulldogs getting dirty when it's his turn then oozing class with space. He is never a dirty player but always first in when required the players must truely love having him back to his very best.

1eyedog
21-09-2020, 03:05 PM
Libba is the most 'finals-built' player we have.

ReLoad
21-09-2020, 03:11 PM
I hereby apologise for thinking that he was cooked and that his body was not capable of executing at the level we saw from him in 2016.

I had honestly thought that it had passed him, but he has seriously proved me wrong.

I love how little attention is paid to him by all the media, the other week against the demons, Gary Lyon compared players off against each other and he rated libba as our worst mid. lolz not even i am that stupid.

Anyway, the guy is a gun, and i promise to apply the blowtorch of logic in my future thinking around our football family royalty.

bornadog
21-09-2020, 03:14 PM
The only time Libba hasn't been an A Grader since 2011 has been when he's injured and in 2017 when he took an unscheduled mental gap year. You could throw in a few weeks late in season 2012 when he took an unfortunate detour down King St at 4am on a Sunday morning, but even that was perversely impressive as he still got to training on time a few short hours later.

He is a star and still the 2nd best player on our list. His skill, vision, decision making and footy IQ are off the charts, and yet the media still think of him as little more than an in-and-under mid. He is that and so much more.

In 45 years of watching footy, I can only think of Greg Williams and maybe Sam Mitchell who have better vision and cleaner hands than Libba in traffic. That's pretty good company and well deserved.

In 2017 he did have a few shockers, but also played some very good games picking up, 28, 29 disposals in a few games. He was almost buried under ground by that mongrel Mumford early in the year which also didn't help him, but overall wasn't his best year.

Sedat
21-09-2020, 04:23 PM
I am constantly in awe of the stupidity of some media scribes, but nobody holds a candle to Matty Lloyd a couple of years ago saying that Essendon should not bother chasing Libba as he wouldn't be good enough to get a game in their pissy little midget midfield.

Bulldog Joe
21-09-2020, 04:24 PM
I am constantly in awe of the stupidity of some media scribes, but nobody holds a candle to Matty Lloyd a couple of years ago saying that Essendon should not bother chasing Libba as he wouldn't be good enough to get a game in their pissy little midget midfield.

Matty Lloyd - doyen of knowledge.

bornadog
21-09-2020, 05:35 PM
Libba interview here (https://media.whooshkaa.com/show/1920/episode/735762.mp3)

Twodogs
21-09-2020, 11:13 PM

How does he get paid to analyse football? On what planet is his opinion about the game anything but laughable? He's as derisive a figure as Gaddy Lyon.

"Not good enough to get a game in Essendon's midfield"? Really? Tell me more Lloydo. Just how did you arrive at that conclusion oh genius?

DOG GOD
22-09-2020, 08:26 AM
Libba is our best player.

LostDoggy
22-09-2020, 09:46 AM
I wonder if the shorter game time/turnaround between games has helped Libba body-wise this year? I thought he was unfortunately cooked and his best may have been behind him, but his 2020 has been absolutely sensational.

bornadog
22-09-2020, 09:48 AM
I wonder if the shorter game time/turnaround between games has helped Libba body-wise this year? I thought he was unfortunately cooked and his best may have been behind him, but his 2020 has been absolutely sensational.

Good point on the shorter quarters. I guess he may have had to miss games if it wasn't for that.

Twodogs
22-09-2020, 12:23 PM

Really good point. I quite like the shorter quarters. It seems like players iced the clock less to me and there wasn't as much chipping the ball around to run the click down.

Less stress when we were in front too. You'd look at the clock and realise there was much less time to go than you thought.

SonofScray
22-09-2020, 03:54 PM

He attributed some of his season to the shorter quarters in an interview on SEN which BAD shared in this thread. Interesting chat, also getting plenty of time in the sea by the sounds of it, and less time on the track. He's probably getting heaps more time to invest in recovery than normal.

azabob
22-09-2020, 06:38 PM
He attributed some of his season to the shorter quarters in an interview on SEN which BAD shared in this thread. Interesting chat, also getting plenty of time in the sea by the sounds of it, and less time on the track. He's probably getting heaps more time to invest in recovery than normal.

I was about to say the same thing.

I am now wondering if BAD actually listened to the interview!

bornadog
22-09-2020, 06:51 PM
I was about to say the same thing.

I am now wondering if BAD actually listened to the interview!

Thanks mate, I did, but was in the background whilst working

Bulldog4life
26-09-2020, 12:20 PM

Well said Sedat. Agree whole heartedly.

bornadog
28-04-2021, 11:15 PM
#1 in the AFL for clearances
#4 in the AFL for pressure acts
#6 in the AFL for contested possessions
#8 in the AFL for tackles

The Pressure King, Tom Liberatore. (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/922817/the-pressure-king-igniting-bulldogs)

Tom Liberatore’s output has been as important as any member of the Western Bulldogs’ midfield in 2021.

The 28-year-old hasn’t missed a game since the opening two weeks of 2020.

His performances last year saw him finish third in the Bulldogs’ best and fairest.

This year, he’s having a big impact again, and helping the likes of Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae and Adam Treloar to do the same.

Liberatore is ranked among the competition’s elite in a number of areas.

His clearance work is a the top of the list.

Liberatore is the AFL’s leading clearance winner after six rounds, with 49, three clear of Hawthorn’s Jaeger O’Meara.

He ranks fourth for pressure acts with 159 – a tally led by a member of this week’s opposition, Jack Graham (167).

His ability to win the ball at ground level is fifth – just two behind four players tied for top spot – and he’s ranked sixth for contested possessions, and eighth for tackles.

On the offensive end, no midfielder has more score launches than Liberatore.

He sits eighth overall with 19 – surrounded by ruckmen from first to seventh, and ninth.

Plus being sixth in the competition for delivering the ball inside-50.

Not a bad start to the season for the influential Bulldog, who notched his 150th game back in round two.

Topdog
29-04-2021, 07:58 AM
Absolute gun

comrade
29-04-2021, 08:05 AM
Irreplaceable.

Grantysghost
29-04-2021, 09:16 AM
The last player I want to see with a long term injury, well on a par with Bontempelli.

azabob
29-04-2021, 09:17 AM
The last player I want to see with a long term injury, well on a par with Bontempelli.

Please delete this post... this post is a red card offence.

Grantysghost
29-04-2021, 09:25 AM
Please delete this post... this post is a red card offence.

Also the guy I'd want kicking for goal after the siren to win the Grand Final...

Crap! I'm making it worse.

bornadog
16-05-2021, 11:26 AM
021 AFL League Total Clearances Leaders (Minimum 2 Games Played)

Rank
Player
Team
Games
Clearances for Last Game
Total

Thomas Liberatore (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--thomas-liberatore)
Bulldogs (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-western-bulldogs)
12 v Port Adelaide, Round 9 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10406)

Hugh Greenwood (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-gold-coast-suns--hugh-greenwood)
Suns (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-gold-coast-suns)
7 v Brisbane, Round 9 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10400)

Jacob Hopper (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-greater-western-sydney-giants--jacob-hopper)
Giants (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-greater-western-sydney-giants)
11 v Richmond, Round 9 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10403)

Jarryd Lyons (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-brisbane-lions--jarryd-lyons)
Lions (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-brisbane-lions)
9 v Gold Coast, Round 9 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10400)

Turned 29 Today

bornadog
16-05-2021, 05:42 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E1eZVeFVEAkjYv4?format=jpg&name=large

bornadog
16-05-2021, 05:44 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E1e8UwdUUAIhTID?format=jpg&name=large

comrade
16-05-2021, 06:22 PM
It's unreal how he just charges into that danger area right under the ruckmen, right at their toenails. Other players just can't go with him, and if they dare, his hands are too good and quick.

bulldogtragic
16-05-2021, 06:44 PM
Crazy. Just crazy record.

1eyedog
16-05-2021, 06:57 PM

Just wow. I thought he was BOG on Satdee night. Hope those pins hold up he's been massive.

Bulldog Revolution
16-05-2021, 07:16 PM
Incredible footballer - wouldn’t be as underrated by opposition coaching teams as he is by commentators

Sedat
16-05-2021, 07:27 PM
Remember when Lloydy said the Bombers shouldn't bother chasing Libba because he wouldn't get a game in their midfield? Yep, the bell-end actually said that.

There are only 2 players I've seen in 45 years of watching footy who might have Libba covered with cleaner hands in heavy traffic - Greg Williams and Sam Mitchell. Libba sits very comfortably in that company.

hujsh
16-05-2021, 07:43 PM

You'd imagine that Libba would have the least games on that list as well

bornadog
16-05-2021, 08:17 PM
Remember when Lloydy said the Bombers shouldn't bother chasing Libba because he wouldn't get a game in their midfield? Yep, the bell-end actually said that.

There are only 2 players I've seen in 45 years of watching footy who might have Libba covered with cleaner hands in heavy traffic - Greg Williams and Sam Mitchell. Libba sits very comfortably in that company.

Libba senior was pretty good in and under

boydogs
17-05-2021, 12:15 AM
He's got this Murali vibe about him where he's dominant but there are question marks on his handball action. His form and fitness are the best bellwether for our performances since 2015

Vred
17-05-2021, 05:23 AM
He's got this Murali vibe about him where he's dominant but there are question marks on his handball action. His form and fitness are the best bellwether for our performances since 2015

There are two handballs he shoots out on Saturday night vs Port where honestly, I'm going ''yeah that's not a handball that's a flick or handoff'' but you gotta replay to see how *!*!*!*!ing quick he is with his handball game, its insane just how good he is and shooting off that quick handball that on a generic TV feed it looks like his just thrown it.

MrMahatma
17-05-2021, 08:45 AM
What’s he worth a season? A real jet.

comrade
17-05-2021, 08:57 AM
What’s he worth a season? A real jet.

His contract is growing by the week. I bet Sammy P wishes he could go back 6 months and extend Libba then.

MrMahatma
17-05-2021, 10:40 AM
His contract is growing by the week. I bet Sammy P wishes he could go back 6 months and extend Libba then.

It’s curious we didn’t to be honest. Is it fear of another knee that stopped us?

I’ve always been a Libba fan and even in his average seasons felt he was better than many others.

jeemak
17-05-2021, 01:57 PM
There might be a view that best results are going to be sourced by just letting him play and seeing how he goes.

bornadog
17-05-2021, 05:36 PM
Those Handballs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4UNEImU07s&ab_channel=Michael

FrediKanoute
17-05-2021, 07:41 PM
He has amazing hands.

Greg Williams was different. His hands were quick, but it was his vision and the way he used handball that made him so effective. He created space with his handballs, whilst Libba doesn't create space, but completely changes where the ball is. Its almost like the ball is teleported from the space it occupies into a completely different space on a completely different trajectory.

bulldogtragic
28-05-2021, 08:11 PM
Ralphy says deal could be announced next week. Two years, possible trigger on a third.

Dancin' Douggy
28-05-2021, 08:20 PM
He doesn't create space. He creates portals.
He has amazing hands.

Greg Williams was different. His hands were quick, but it was his vision and the way he used handball that made him so effective. He created space with his handballs, whilst Libba doesn't create space, but completely changes where the ball is. Its almost like the ball is teleported from the space it occupies into a completely different space on a completely different trajectory.

bornadog
28-05-2021, 08:36 PM
Very Important tonight. Go Libba!!!

Testekill
28-05-2021, 11:34 PM
Played one of his worst games ever tonight.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-05-2021, 11:37 PM

He did. And he' still a superstar.

bulldogtragic
28-05-2021, 11:38 PM

Apparently the club close to offer two years with maybe a trigger on a third. Either he signed and the pressure released, or a not ideal time to play a game like that entering into negotiations.

jazzadogs
28-05-2021, 11:42 PM
Harmes went to him and completely nullified him. We seemed to play him forward more, potentially as part of an attempt to take the 'tag' out of the midfield, but even when he was playing mid he had no influence.

Disappointing but not concerned for future games.

jeemak
29-05-2021, 01:18 AM
Harmes went to him and completely nullified him. We seemed to play him forward more, potentially as part of an attempt to take the 'tag' out of the midfield, but even when he was playing mid he had no influence.

Disappointing but not concerned for future games.

Not sure it's something that can happen to a source player too often. Melbourne got him this week but any other week perhaps Harmes doesn't play so well and Libba is a bit more switched on to work through it.

Libba's game was a weird one tonight. He butchered a kick across the ground, but also executed two of the best kicks all night to the empty space around CHF to hit one our players and create a score. Perhaps he's a bit tired, not really sure.

bornadog
31-03-2024, 10:28 PM
Libba now holds the club record for most contested possessions with 2,660

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJ9z6WebQAEsbne?format=jpg&name=medium

josie
31-03-2024, 10:38 PM
Can you be a club legend whilst still playing? If you can then Libba is.

Don?t think there?s a dog?s supporter that doesn?t love him.

Embodies all the good things about our great club.

Happy Days
31-03-2024, 11:03 PM
Thing with Libba is that he’s still a cool and hot guy who many would say has his best years ahead of him.

EasternWest
01-04-2024, 10:26 AM
Thing with Libba is that he’s still a cool and hot guy who many would say has his best years ahead of him.

He's old. As is anyone that shares a birthday with him.

ledge
01-04-2024, 10:42 AM
Can you be a club legend whilst still playing? If you can then Libba is.

Don?t think there?s a dog?s supporter that doesn?t love him.

Embodies all the good things about our great club.

I think you will find Bont falls in that category as well.
He has already been declared the best player the bulldogs ever had by some, still got another 5 years in him minimum.

The Underdog
01-04-2024, 10:50 AM
Libba now holds the club record for most contested possessions with 2,660

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJ9z6WebQAEsbne?format=jpg&name=medium

Which is awesome, but also guessing that it wasn’t a stat that was tracked until the mid 90’s at earliest.

hujsh
01-04-2024, 11:31 AM
He's old. As is anyone that shares a birthday with him.

That's ridiculous. Of course he's not old. No one around his age is considered old by anyone so please stop lying.

EasternWest
01-04-2024, 02:54 PM
That's ridiculous. Of course he's not old. No one around his age is considered old by anyone so please stop lying.

https://i.postimg.cc/ZKHJKx7v/69ffb0ac-a3f5-42fa-a5ce-d6af72679d44-text.gif (https://postimages.org/)

josie
01-04-2024, 04:02 PM
I think you will find Bont falls in that category as well.
He has already been declared the best player the bulldogs ever had by some, still got another 5 years in him minimum.

Yep. God forbid, if either of them never played another game, they?ve already woven their stories into RWB history.