PDA

View Full Version : Players we chased... and the players we put in their position

Mofra
21-09-2020, 12:29 PM
Yesterday's game (and earlier articles) got me thinking about a kid I really hope makes it - Ryan Gardner.

He's followed the Joel Hamling route somewhat (ex Geelong, stuck behind others, delisted), and after a few shaky games last year and at the start of this year he's starting to grow into his role. I thought it was telling we left him in defence and tried both Keath and Cordy up the ground.
He's worked three jobs after his delisting, been through all the lows of footy and now gets to play finals footy.

A trading period or two ago we needed a KPD and we asked the question about a kid who doesn't really take intercept marks but was no 1 in the competition for spoils - Dougal Howard. He's quick, can play on mid sizers and generally just gets the job done with little to put onto his highlight reel. He seems the prototype for the type of player Gardner could develop into.

Is there anyone else we chased, missed out on, but then found a guy who can play a similar role?

(In before someone says Matthew Bate...)

Twodogs
21-09-2020, 12:34 PM
Hurley from Essendon? We probably wouldn't have had the means or the inclination to chase after Keath with him in the team.

Mofra
21-09-2020, 12:37 PM
Hurley from Essendon? We probably wouldn't have had the means or the inclination to chase after Keath with him in the team.
Good one - the fact we chased him made Essendon overpay, which has right royally screwed them now.
In retrospect that couldn't have worked out better for us.

Axe Man
21-09-2020, 12:42 PM
Good one - the fact we chased him made Essendon overpay, which has right royally screwed them now.
In retrospect that couldn't have worked out better for us.

Funnily enough there are rumblings that he's not happy and may want out (Hooker as well). Bet he wishes he made a different decision a few years back. My Essendon mate reckons he's cooked though, not worried if he leaves.

Axe Man
21-09-2020, 12:44 PM
Chad Wingard - Bailey Smith. Not exactly the same type of player but this has worked out pretty well to date.

Mofra
21-09-2020, 12:46 PM
Funnily enough there are rumblings that he's not happy and may want out (Hooker as well). Bet he wishes he made a different decision a few years back. My Essendon mate reckons he's cooked though, not worried if he leaves.
I think they're both in decline, if not cooked. The fact they're contracted until 2021 and 2022 respectively (on good money) makes me happy.

The obvious position and players we've chased - Matthew Lobbe and Stef Martin. We now have English (and Bruce, Dunkley, etc) playing ruck right now. English looks quite unique, but we did spend a first rounder on a ruck which is a little different + a few years of development.

Bulldog4life
21-09-2020, 01:00 PM
I think they're both in decline, if not cooked. The fact they're contracted until 2021 and 2022 respectively (on good money) makes me happy.

The obvious position and players we've chased - Matthew Lobbe and Stef Martin. We now have English (and Bruce, Dunkley, etc) playing ruck right now. English looks quite unique, but we did spend a first rounder on a ruck which is a little different + a few years of development.

I was impressed with Tim's game yesterday. Getting better all the time. Kicking goals too.

Sedat
21-09-2020, 01:51 PM
Chad Wingard - Bailey Smith. Not exactly the same type of player but this has worked out pretty well to date.
Interesting that Wingard is the highest rated small forward in the entire competition this year. It's a pretty hot field with the likes of Papley, Cameron and Butler. Wingard has been very good in an off-broadway and largely ignored team this year.

I was all chips in on him 2 years ago. I'm still a big fan, but not as big a fan as I am of Baz. Completely different players to be fair

Mofra
21-09-2020, 01:59 PM
Interesting that Wingard is the highest rated small forward in the entire competition this year. It's a pretty hot field with the likes of Papley, Cameron and Butler. Wingard has been very good in an off-broadway and largely ignored team this year.

I was all chips in on him 2 years ago. I'm still a big fan, but not as big a fan as I am of Baz. Completely different players to be fair
Is that Champion data or another metric?
I thought he was playing more midfield time this year.

Interesting that there are whispers he might be 'gettable' this year too despite being under contract.

Mofra
21-09-2020, 02:07 PM
Leftfield, but weren't we linked with Wylie Buzza at some point?
He's just been delisted by Port

Sedat
21-09-2020, 02:10 PM
Is that Champion data or another metric?
I thought he was playing more midfield time this year.

Interesting that there are whispers he might be 'gettable' this year too despite being under contract.
Not sure, it was mentioned on one of the footy shows last week. Might have been AFL Ratings.

1eyedog
21-09-2020, 02:19 PM
If we got Matthew Lobbe or Stefan Martin would we have drafted Tim English?

Mofra
21-09-2020, 02:21 PM
If we got Matthew Lobbe or Stefan Martin would we have drafted Tim English?
I would have hoped yes - Martin to English is a nice transition age-wise.
Timmy looks pretty capable up forward right now as a ruck/forward.

bornadog
21-09-2020, 03:24 PM
Not sure, it was mentioned on one of the footy shoes last week. Might have been AFL Ratings.

Rank
Player
Team
Position
Rating
Web

Toby Greene
GWS
Gen Fwd

Isaac Heeney
Sydney
Gen Fwd

Chad Wingard
Hawthorn
Gen Fwd

GVGjr
21-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Leftfield, but weren't we linked with Wylie Buzza at some point?
He's just been delisted by Port

I think a few of us here thought he might be worth a rookie spot but I don't recall anything saying we were interested

Twodogs
21-09-2020, 08:50 PM

I was (still am) against spending a first rounder on the average lumbering type ruckman as a young player because you typically have to wait until they are in their mid 20s until they start to play good footy. Tim is not your typical ruckman you have to wait for a return on though.

I would have hoped yes - Martin to English is a nice transition age-wise.
Timmy looks pretty capable up forward right now as a ruck/forward.

It would have been a bit like the Wynd/Darcy dynamic back in the late '90s (god, was it really 20 years ago?)

But Tim seems like the type of ruckman who relishes being the only ruckman in the team. When Dempsey left, Hampshire who had been on the list and in and out of the team for years really relished getting the game time and being the solo ruckman. It did his development no end of good. Tim is the same and we are starting to reap the rewards with him developing so much quicker than other ruckmen.