PDA

View Full Version : Premiership hero Dickson calls time

bulldogsthru&thru
27-09-2020, 05:27 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/819193?fbclid=IwAR1ZrP8SwekRH7unVNn3Hw9-I5GLaR0wbMQj1N-0rXZ9ODvb7ue48TgkZvk

Premiership forward Tory Dickson has announced his retirement from AFL football.

The 33-year-old informed teammates of his decision on Saturday, calling time on an impressive career at the highest level, which has spanned 114 games across nine seasons for the Western Bulldogs.

Dickson was a crucial member of the Bulldogs’ famous 2016 premiership victory.

He kicked 40 goals for the season – including 10 across the finals series, with hauls of four in the preliminary final against the GWS Giants and three in the grand final triumph against the Sydney Swans.

Dickson built a reputation as one of the competition’s best set shot goal-kickers and ends his career with the enviable goal-kicking record of 181.61, which includes a career-best year of 50.12 in 2015.

He said the time was right to hang up the boots.

“I’m incredibly proud of everything I have achieved as a Western Bulldogs player,” Dickson said.

“For a long time, I didn’t think I would get to play one AFL game and to have played more than 100 games for this club and contribute to our 2016 premiership success was incredible. The opportunity the Western Bulldogs have given me is something I will always be grateful for.

“Making the decision to retire has been incredibly difficult, but I believe it is the right one.

“There have been many people who have helped me along way who I am thankful for. My family have been an incredible support, and this year has been challenging on many fronts, including my son Riley being back in Melbourne.

“To all the coaches, support staff and Bulldogs fans who have been part of my journey, thank you. It has been a great ride.”

A mature-aged draftee at the age of 24, Dickson joined the Bulldogs with pick 57 in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft following stints with Frankston and Bendigo in the VFL.

He won the Chris Grant Best First Year Player Award in 2012, Brad Johnson Best Team Player Award in 2015 and featured in Footscray’s 2014 VFL premiership.

Director of Football, Chris Grant, said Dickson had made an invaluable contribution in red, white and blue.

“Tory has made a significant impact at our club over the past decade,” Grant said.

“His story is one of real perseverance. Having been overlooked in multiple drafts, Tory continued to work hard and finally earned his opportunity on an AFL list.

“On the field, his skills as a goal-kicking forward have been clear for all to see, and his impact across our 2016 premiership year and successful finals campaign was profound. Equally important has been his off-field contribution, as a player his teammates love to play alongside, and in particular, as a great club person.

“Tory will forever be a Bulldog and we thank him for everything he has done for our club.”

bulldogsthru&thru
27-09-2020, 05:29 PM
Forever will be remembered. Fantastic forward who was thankfully an excellent shot for goal. Had tremendous years in 2015 and 16 and of course was a huge part of our premiership success. Thanks Dicko.

ledge
27-09-2020, 05:29 PM
Over 100 games just .. hopefully see his son shortly, if his dad is anything to go by.
Thanks for the flag and he always looked classy in front of goal.
Good honest hard working player who got the best out of himself.

Eastdog
27-09-2020, 05:33 PM
Thank you Tory. A great set shot goal kicker. Forever a Bulldog premiership player. Good luck for whatever you do next.

azabob
27-09-2020, 05:43 PM
Out and out gun. Such a key ingredient in 2015 and 2016.

We’ve missed his forward IQ and craft.

ledge I think you’ve sold him a tad short.

ratsmac
27-09-2020, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the memories Dicko!

Good luck for the future. On that I have a job you can do. Teach our boys how to kick set shots��

chef
27-09-2020, 05:48 PM
Over 100 games just .. hopefully see his son shortly, if his dad is anything to go by.
Thanks for the flag and he always looked classy in front of goal.
Good honest hard working player who got the best out of himself.

Theres not a better kick for goal in the history of the game.

Eastdog
27-09-2020, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the memories Dicko!

Good luck for the future. On that I have a job you can do. Theach our boys how to kick set shots��

Let's appoint Tory Dickson in a role as a goal kicking coach.

bornadog
27-09-2020, 06:12 PM
Great goal kicker for us. You knew when he had the ball ready for a set shop it was going to go through (mostly)

His body didn't help him in the last few years, but he is a premiership heroe that will never be forgotten

GVGjr
27-09-2020, 06:22 PM
For a player that many were skeptical with our recruiting team for selecting he performed at a high level for a long time
I can recall the day we drafted him picking him a couple of spots before the Essendon selection and it really threw out their order
One of the best forwards that have played for us

EasternWest
27-09-2020, 06:33 PM
Amazing success story of persistence and professionalism. Vital cog in the 2016 machine. Tried his guts out every time he put on our colours.

Great career. Bulldogs hero forever.

Swampy has just tweeted for over 200 scores, Tory was the most accurate ever. Remarkable.

bornadog
27-09-2020, 06:34 PM
https://youtu.be/ZB7AxeoNC28

bornadog
27-09-2020, 06:37 PM
What a record:

Swamp
@sirswampthing

Tory Dickson retires
Most accurate V/@AFL goal kickers (where records known, 200+ scores)

74.8% - TORY DICKSON (181.61)
71.5% - Peter Jones
69.7% - Tony Lockett
69.5% - Bob Heard
69.5% - Aaron Edwards
68.8% - Peter Hudson
68.6% - Matthew Lloyd

comrade
27-09-2020, 06:37 PM
Enjoyed Dicko's career a lot, didn't need many touches to put the opposition to the sword.

Will be forever immortalised as taking the match clinching mark in the 2016 prelim and had the composure to take all the time up on the clock (despite Matty Boyd screaming at him to kick it backwards :D). He was huge in that game. His goals in the grand final were at crucial times.

Thanks for your service TD, best of luck on wherever life takes you.

josie
27-09-2020, 06:40 PM
Clever and crafty and nimble too, at least before injuries and Father Time starting catching up. Will always remember those amazing quick thinking manoeuvres to kick some sneaky goals - especially the ‘16 prelim. His goals in the prelim and that earlyish one in the GF were crucial in building confidence & hence critical to our wins and glorious ‘16. He played a great final series apart from the Hawks game and I truly do not think it was not so much nerves-just statistics. Thank goodness he had the fortitude to shake his the inaccuracy off for the following two!!

Love ya Dicko!!

Agree - it would be great if in some kind of capacity he can impart his goal kicking a skills to our other players.

Told this story before elsewhere I think.....was at a vfl match some years ago and bags were being checked by security. Must have been one of peak terrorist scare years. Struck up a brief chat with a quiet sweet looking young lad (then no more then 8 to 10 I’m guessing) in front of me. He was there with his (I guessed correctly) Grandpa and lad was decked out in dogs regalia incl small RWB flag and back pack. I asked him who his fave dogs player was and he said Tory Dickson. I agreed with him he is a beaut player and his Grandad said this is Tory’s son!! I am pretty sure Grandad told also me Tory was bringing up son solo. I think I made a comment that it looks like he is doing a jolly good job.

Happy Days
27-09-2020, 06:49 PM
One of the most satisfying guys to have on your side, and also an underrated player on big stages. Seeing his 2015 on paper still barely seems real.

Thanks for a great career Tory, but especially thanks for murdering Heath Shaw in cold blood in the 2016 prelim.

Bumper Bulldogs
27-09-2020, 07:22 PM
Best of Luck Tory. You have been the cool head. Mr Reliable for many years. True professional and a quality club man that we are all proud to say word the tri colours and provided many satisfying moments to us all.

You are know fir your goal kicking but for me it’s the forward pressure and the run down from behind tackles that I will truly member.

Thank you

soupman
27-09-2020, 07:26 PM
Wasn't sure if he had enough tricks on him when he first started, but a smart forward who takes their chances is always valuable and Dickson is maybe the best at that our club has seen in my time. Really enjoyable and calming player to have turn out for us and really considering his late start to his career to come out of it with some genuinely outstanding seasons to his name, a premiership medal and the record as the most accurate goalkicker with over 100 shots ever (don't know why Swampy made the cut off 200, Dickson wins with anything above 82).

whythelongface
27-09-2020, 07:52 PM
Thank you Tory. You will forever be remembered as a bulldog legend who played a significant role in delivering our 2nd premiership. To also top a list of the most accurate goal kickers is a remarkable achievement and one which you should be extremely proud of. Good luck in your future.

jeemak
27-09-2020, 08:07 PM
Predictable but still a sad day to see an absolute legend of the club retire.

He had a huge impact in a relatively short period of time, and should be extremely proud of his AFL career.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-09-2020, 08:42 PM
Legend, such an underrated player. Stood up in big moments and ever reliable. He took some good defenders to the cleaners.

Enjoy retirement Dicko, well earned.

Smads57
27-09-2020, 08:49 PM
Leaves us with some great goals/memories. All the best Tory for the future.

Eastdog
27-09-2020, 08:50 PM
Hopefully Josh Schache now will become that solid sharp shooter for us.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
27-09-2020, 09:36 PM
Loved his chasing and tackling as well as his goal kicking

Grantysghost
27-09-2020, 09:58 PM
Loved his chasing and tackling as well as his goal kicking

An infamous example led to the mastication of his neck at the hands of a recently aggrieved Irish vampire.

GVGjr
27-09-2020, 11:24 PM
Dickson just did the fundamentals of the game so well. He wasn't winning us over with freakish dribble goals from impossible angles but week after week he chased and tackled hard and was just deadly in front of the big sticks. In the main, he got the goals that he should get and played with his limitations.

He would be a great role model of any level headed youngster who decided he needed to be efficient with the ball.
I hope the likes of Greene and Weightman have been leaning on him for some advice on how to improve their kicking

Dicko should be highly proud of what he has achieved

AshMac
27-09-2020, 11:33 PM
Thank you for your career with the dogs! A humble and high achiever. always so happy when he was the one lining up for a set shot.

Vred
28-09-2020, 12:32 AM
Another premiership player retiring, predicable but so sad to see.

One of my favorite players over the years, super underrated and was always reliable infront of goal. As mentioned in this thread, I'm never a big fan of us giving our own players coaching jobs, but in this case, I'd give Tory the job of goal kicking / forward coach, because his up their with some of the best.

The Adelaide Connection
28-09-2020, 12:37 AM
This might be a silly question, but is this effective immediately?

I haven’t seen it mentioned either way and I know he is likely a fair way down the pecking order, but you would think unless he is injured he is still a chance (and insurance) if we go deep.

Vred
28-09-2020, 12:52 AM
This might be a silly question, but is this effective immediately?

I haven’t seen it mentioned either way and I know he is likely a fair way down the pecking order, but you would think unless he is injured he is still a chance (and insurance) if we go deep.

I did read somewhere on one of the dogs socials that it was effective immediately. Such a shame as he won't get a final game / chair off he 100% deserves.

SonofScray
28-09-2020, 09:36 AM
I think to do what he has as a mature aged recruit is phenomenal. We've seen it from defenders and players who negate, but it's a rare feat to see this level of performance and influence as a forward. A career to be proud of.

A Bulldog immortal, plucked from underneath Essendon's nose.

The Member for Dickson, kicked goals. Goals are the most important part of footy. He's kicked some of the most important goals in our club's history. And a bunch of rote, repetitious goals that helped get to those moments.

I'm sad this time has come for him. But time and tide waits for no one and we can only hope his is a legacy of the value of efficiency with the ball, accuracy and professionalism when kicking for goal.

merantau
28-09-2020, 09:51 AM
Terrific player for us. Such a cool head. Kicked so many crucial goals. Kicked so many great goals. So many skills. Heath Shaw still seeing his therapist I believe. Tory's finals campaign was just wonderful. Thanks Tory for everything you have done for our Club.

dog town
28-09-2020, 09:58 AM
I think his general forward skill set and abilities have been under valued due to his goal kicking accuracy. Great forward craft and ability come up at the footy or use the space behind him. Will be a nightmare in local football.

Mofra
28-09-2020, 10:02 AM
Fantastic career, to go from playing for Noble Park as a senior player to performing well in a flag-winning finals series is an amazing effort.

SonofScray
28-09-2020, 10:10 AM
Terrific player for us. Such a cool head. Kicked so many crucial goals. Kicked so many great goals. So many skills. Heath Shaw still seeing his therapist I believe. Tory's finals campaign was just wonderful. Thanks Tory for everything you have done for our Club.

The goal where. He was dragged to ground, 2 v 1 and sprung up, snatched the footy and slotted it was remarkable, underrated. GOTY

Axe Man
28-09-2020, 11:02 AM
Amazing that he averages almost double the goals in finals v home and away (3 v 1.52).

A shame he's rarely had a clear run at it since the flag. I think we might just choose to forget his last game v Geelong.

Cody Weightman could do worse than model his game on the way Tory went about it as a small/medium forward. Always maintain the pressure and make the most of your opportunities.

Ozza
28-09-2020, 11:32 AM
One of my favourites. In the 2 seasons that he was able to stay fit and healthy we were a much better side for it, and during 2015 and 2016 he kicked an amazing 90.29 from 45 games, including 15 goals in 5 finals.

To kick 4 goals (which I'm sure would have been 5 if the siren didn't go first and he probably lost concentration) in the greatest prelim ever, and then 3 straight the next week in the GF was huge. That 50m set shot goal to put us in front at quarter time in the Grand Final was huge also.

Finishes his career as 103rd most games played & 28th most goals kicked for the club, and one of only 42 premiership bulldogs.

westbulldog
28-09-2020, 11:51 AM
Fantastic career, to go from playing for Noble Park as a senior player to performing well in a flag-winning finals series is an amazing effort.
This achievement is remarkable, his contribution to our club significant. Tory Dickson leaves with the respect of all Dog fans and as a premiership player. IMO he was somewhat to the forward line as Dale Morris was to the backline, courageous, a one per centers player, a great clubman, reliable and highly regarded. Best wishes for your future Tory.

Eastdog
28-09-2020, 12:59 PM
Enjoyed Dicko's career a lot, didn't need many touches to put the opposition to the sword.

Will be forever immortalised as taking the match clinching mark in the 2016 prelim and had the composure to take all the time up on the clock (despite Matty Boyd screaming at him to kick it backwards :D). He was huge in that game. His goals in the grand final were at crucial times.

Thanks for your service TD, best of luck on wherever life takes you.

What a great feeling that was. We all just were relieved as that match could have gone anywhere at the end but thankfully it fell in favour.

Twodogs
28-09-2020, 01:43 PM
A Bulldog immortal, plucked from underneath Essendon's nose.

Spot on. Good luck with whatever the future brings Deadeye Dickson.

kruder
28-09-2020, 02:39 PM
Just watching his highlights package Bruce mentioned that he averaged 3 goals a game in finals, so good when it counted.

Thanks Dicko.

Bulldog Revolution
28-09-2020, 03:34 PM
As supporters we have probably taken some of his work for granted, but hes been a super player for us Dickson

His peak, completely coincided with the arrival of Bevo and during 2015-16 was superb

Murphy'sLore
28-09-2020, 04:04 PM
Who's going to kick for my life now?

All the best to you, Tory, what an unlikely club champion you turned out to be. Huzzah!

jazzadogs
28-09-2020, 06:18 PM
All the best Tory. Thanks for the great memories in the red, white and blue.

Your 2015/16 seasons were on par with any small/medium forward of modern times.

azabob
28-09-2020, 06:30 PM
Who's going to kick for my life now?

All the best to you, Tory, what an unlikely club champion you turned out to be. Huzzah!

Huzzah!!!

merantau
28-09-2020, 10:43 PM
The goal where. He was dragged to ground, 2 v 1 and sprung up, snatched the footy and slotted it was remarkable, underrated. GOTY

Indeed.This is my favorite Dicko goal. Heath Shaw, with his back to the ball, pushes Dicko to the deck with a shove to his left shoulder. While on the ground Dicko somehow reels the ball in from between Number 16 (Wilson's?) feet while Heath Shaw looks on staring like a kid at a lolly shop window. Meanwhile, Dicko springs to his feet, heads goalwards and slams it through with his left foot while Heath stands around like a stale bottle of the proverbial!
Heath then goes crook and starts waving his arms like a mad man at Number 20, Tomlinson!!
Then after he kicks the goal Heath elbows Dicko in the throat region. What a tool.

boydogs
29-09-2020, 01:16 AM
Always rated him above Breust, when Breust was getting the AA guernseys for cleaning up in a successful side. His forward craft was as good as his kicking

DOG GOD
29-09-2020, 08:16 AM
Great player and will be dearly missed in our 22. Goal kicking ability was high class, and that finals season in 2016 was phenomenal. All the best Dicko !!!!

merantau
29-09-2020, 11:47 PM
Take a look at Als Highlights of ALL Dicko's goals from 2016. You can really appreciate what an absolute gun he was. Left foot, right foot, on 50, just outside 50, on the boundary, in front, leading up, running with the flight, off the ground, reading it off the pack, from a scrimmage, intercepting, on the run after 4 bounces - he could do it all.
Furthermore, he rarely snuck them in. Look closely. He more often than not put it over the goal umpire's head. What a player!

https://youtu.be/zYxAJm7KJts

azabob
30-09-2020, 10:11 PM
Take a look at Als Highlights of ALL Dicko's goals from 2016. You can really appreciate what an absolute gun he was. Left foot, right foot, on 50, just outside 50, on the boundary, in front, leading up, running with the flight, off the ground, reading it off the pack, from a scrimmage, intercepting, on the run after 4 bounces - he could do it all.
Furthermore, he rarely snuck them in. Look closely. He more often than not put it over the goal umpire's head. What a player!

https://youtu.be/zYxAJm7KJts

What a great way to spend 15 mins. Thanks for posting.

Happy Days
30-09-2020, 11:15 PM
What a great way to spend 15 mins. Thanks for posting.

Its like ASMR but only more soothing.

Axe Man
29-03-2021, 04:23 PM
Former AFL premiership star turns $50 into $200,000 with seven-leg race multi (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/superracing/former-afl-premiership-star-turns-50-into-200000-with-sevenleg-race-multi/news-story/2a31f470efe4e6f24ae74aa988b2e342)

Fighting Harada’s win in the last race at Bendigo was memorable for many reasons, but for former AFL player Tory Dickson it was the collect of a lifetime turning $50 into $200,000!

Retired Western Bulldogs premiership star Tory Dickson has had a bit of luck with horses, as a part-owner of Group 1 winners-turned-stallions Merchant Navy and Super Seth.

But Dickson toasted another turf success story on Saturday, with the last winner at Bendigo gifting the former goalsneak a $200,000 windfall — courtesy of a $50 seven-leg racing multi.

Dickson’s friend, racehorse trainer Michael Kent Jr, who prepared Fighting Harada at Bendigo, shed some light on the monster collect.

“A little shout out to my good friend Tory Dickson,” Kent Jr, who trains in partnership with Mick Price, said.

“He had a seven-leg multi today and I think he won about $200,000 on this horse by getting up.

“A bit of pressure on me … he owes me!”

If not already, suspect Kent Jr will be offering good luck charm Dickson a share in either of the Merchant Navy yearling colts the stable has currently for sale.

Dickson retired last year after 114 games and 181 goals for the Bulldogs.

His seven-year career included a 2014 VFL flag and the 2016 AFL premiership.

Ozza
29-03-2021, 05:07 PM
Between owning multiple group 1 winners, and this latest big collect....Tory may well have made more money out of racing than footy!

merantau
29-03-2021, 09:47 PM
Couldn't have happened to a better person. I'm rapt for him.