PDA

View Full Version : Charles Sutton Medal 2020

bornadog
04-10-2020, 06:05 PM
Will be crowned at Gold Coast Tomorrow night.

EDIT: The Winner

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EjoPWAxU8AEnhrc?format=jpg&name=medium

josie
04-10-2020, 06:17 PM
Daniel for me.

SonofScray
04-10-2020, 08:00 PM
CD, Bont, Macrae

Eastdog
04-10-2020, 08:00 PM
I’ll go for Jack Macrae. Just ultra consistent. He may not be talked about a lot in the media but he is just a great worker for our team in the middle.

The Doctor
04-10-2020, 08:16 PM
I hope Caleb wins

Ozza
05-10-2020, 11:46 AM
Are the club showing the event online?

Melbourne had theirs a week and a half back and streamed it live. Would hope we'll do the same.

jazzadogs
05-10-2020, 02:39 PM
Caleb, Macrae, Smith, Bont, Libba, Wallis, English, Keath, Williams (all played 16+ games) in that order.

Hunter, Crozier or VDM might sneak in to the top 10 but didn't have the consistency or games played.

JJ, Bruce and Richards are the only other three players to play over 16 games.

Bulldog Joe
05-10-2020, 03:33 PM
There is a clear top 5 in
Bont
Baz
Macrae
Libba
Caleb

Personally I think Libba is a big chance. Under the radar externally, but was really important in the clinches.

Ozza
05-10-2020, 05:29 PM
Disappointing that it would appear we will not see any of the B&F (at least from what I've seen, well actually 'not seen', online).

MrMahatma
05-10-2020, 05:35 PM
Libba. Ripping year. Still an outrageously underrated footballer.

josie
05-10-2020, 05:41 PM
Yeah - good call re a Libba. Line ball bw him and Caleb. I’d still give it to Caleb by a smidge.

comrade
05-10-2020, 05:52 PM
Disappointing that it would appear we will not see any of the B&F (at least from what I've seen, well actually 'not seen', online).

That's utter crap from the club if true, but not surprised. Same with the garbage coverage of our scratch matches compared to most other clubs.

Members really getting their money's worth :rolleyes:

Could have been a good opportunity to spruik our sponsors or attract a new one to 'sponsor' the live stream.

GVGjr
05-10-2020, 06:13 PM
That's utter crap from the club if true, but not surprised. Same with the garbage coverage of our scratch matches compared to most other clubs.

Could have been a good opportunity to spruik our sponsors or attract a new one to 'sponsor' the live stream.

A tad harsh I would have thought regarding the B&F but I get where you are coming from.
I suspect we are very under resourced at the moment and I can accept we will miss some of the events along the way

Until this year I believe we have made a huge improvement with our online endeavours so I can cut them some slack this year

bornadog
05-10-2020, 06:15 PM
A tad harsh I would have thought regarding the B&F but I get where you are coming from.
I suspect we are very under resourced at the moment and I can accept we will miss some of the events along the way

Until this year I believe we have made a huge improvement with our online endeavours so I can cut them some slack this year

Under the hub rules, players must leave within two days of finishing games. Logistically very difficult to arrange everything.

comrade
05-10-2020, 06:26 PM

Other clubs seemed to manage it.

soupman
05-10-2020, 06:28 PM
I feel like this and stuff like the scratch match reports are such easy wins especially in a year where we have seen supporters get virtually nothing back for their memberships. I understand its more difficult than usual but the club doesnt give off the vibe that they are trying too hard to do this stuff.

Ozza
05-10-2020, 06:52 PM
Club website/app have now posted (at 5:24pm today) that they will have an online event tomorrow. They had said they have to be out of the hub by Tuesday- so based on that I’d assume it’s a pre-record rather than the live event Melbourne and some others clubs did before leaving.

comrade
05-10-2020, 06:55 PM
Club website/app have now posted (at 5:24pm today) that they will have an online event tomorrow. They had said they have to be out of the hub by Tuesday- so based on that I’d assume it’s a pre-record rather than the live event Melbourne and some others clubs did before leaving.

Better than nothing at all.

ratsmac
05-10-2020, 08:06 PM
Surely Macrae wins finally. He's been brides maid too many times

Eastdog
05-10-2020, 08:30 PM
Surely Macrae wins finally. He's been brides maid too many times

Yeah he has never won one Jack.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Sutton_Medal

1eyedog
05-10-2020, 08:35 PM

Totally agree. In a year when we got 'not much' as members at least provide a live stream of the event. I'd be happy to see a 4k, even a 1080p live stream than nothing at all. How much would it actually cost to do this? Next to nothing. How hard would it be to set up? Simple.

Really poor given the year Victorian members have just gone through. Happy to support the club in any way possible but throw us a bone sheez.

soupman
05-10-2020, 08:47 PM
Well they have just announced they are going to be doing a online presentation of the bnf tomorrow at 5pm with Bob Murphy and Sam Edmund. I don't know what that means but it sounds positive at least.

bornadog
05-10-2020, 11:56 PM
https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2020/10/05/b4aec5a0-418c-4e2b-887a-693a52bd411a/2020CSM-1920x1080-Hero-ART.jpg?width=952&height=592

t’s the Western Bulldogs’ night of nights, only not as you’re used to.

For the first time in living memory, the Charles Sutton Medal won’t be held in a packed function room in Melbourne this year.

But while the coronavirus pandemic has flipped tradition on its head in 2020, it won’t stop the Club from bringing a first-class event to those of the red, white and blue faith.

Bulldogs fans can tune in at 5pm on Tuesday, October 6 on the Club’s website, app and Facebook page for a special online presentation of the Sutton Medal.

The virtual event will include a panel show, featuring media personality Sam Edmund, 312-game former Dogs captain Bob Murphy, and Club president Peter Gordon.

The 2020 Sutton Medallist will be celebrated, along with a multitude of other award winners.

Fans will be taken inside the Western Bulldogs’ Gold Coast hub, where they’ll hear from the award winners, as well as senior coach Luke Beveridge.

Check back to this page at 5pm on Tuesday, October 6, to catch all of the action.

FrediKanoute
06-10-2020, 01:17 AM
So who won?

Eastdog
06-10-2020, 01:24 AM
So who won?

Can't see anything on the website or on twitter.

EasternWest
06-10-2020, 09:49 AM
So who won?

Can't see anything on the website or on twitter.

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2020/10/05/b4aec5a0-418c-4e2b-887a-693a52bd411a/2020CSM-1920x1080-Hero-ART.jpg?width=952&height=592

Bulldogs fans can tune in at 5pm on Tuesday, October 6 on the Club’s website, app and Facebook page for a special online presentation of the Sutton Medal.

Check back to this page at 5pm on Tuesday, October 6, to catch all of the action.

Today is Tuesday, innit?

azabob
06-10-2020, 09:54 AM
Today is Tuesday, innit?

I guess it depends what time Freddi reads this being in the UK and all.

Count was last night and it appears the results will be kept secret until then!

EasternWest
06-10-2020, 10:04 AM
I guess it depends what time Freddi reads this being in the UK and all.

Count was last night and it appears the results will be kept secret until then!

Ya. Still surprising it hasn't leaked.

bornadog
06-10-2020, 06:22 PM
Link (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/822891/watch-from-5pm-sutton-medal-online-presentation) to watch - on now

bornadog
06-10-2020, 06:29 PM
Vandermeer Best first year player - a no brainer

bornadog
06-10-2020, 06:32 PM
Bailey Williams - Most improved Player.

Axe Man
06-10-2020, 06:36 PM
Vandermeer Best first year player - a no brainer

First year player must mean when you make your senior debut rather than first year on the list I guess.

comrade
06-10-2020, 06:38 PM
First year player must mean when you make your senior debut rather than first year on the list I guess.

Yeah, that's what I gather. You'd struggle to pick any of our actual first year players based on their output. Butler maybe?

bornadog
06-10-2020, 06:40 PM
Tom Libba - Best Team player

bornadog
06-10-2020, 06:43 PM
The Bont, most courageous

bornadog
06-10-2020, 06:49 PM
Leaderboard after 14 rounds:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EjoGyHpUcAAwqc5?format=jpg&name=medium

bornadog
06-10-2020, 06:59 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EjoJ4oIVkAAZG8M?format=jpg&name=medium

bornadog
06-10-2020, 07:06 PM
Charles Sutton Medal:

6th - Alex Keath

5th - Bailey Williams

4th Macrae

bornadog
06-10-2020, 07:07 PM
Gary Dempsey medal for third - Tom Liberatore

bornadog
06-10-2020, 07:11 PM
Doug Hawkins Medal - The Bont

Six straight years in the Charles Sutton Medal top three for Bont

bornadog
06-10-2020, 07:12 PM
Caleb Daniel Charles Sutton Medal

jazzadogs
06-10-2020, 07:13 PM
Bont 2nd

Looks like congratulations are in order for Caleb Daniel for a fantastic season.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-10-2020, 07:18 PM
Congrats Caleb.

Macrae in 4th is a surprise. Thought he and Daniel were favourites. Musn't impact the game enough in the eyes of the coaches.

Rocket Science
06-10-2020, 07:21 PM
Wow, quite the internal endorsement for Williams' year.

jazzadogs
06-10-2020, 07:22 PM
Leaderboard after 14 rounds:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EjoGyHpUcAAwqc5?format=jpg&name=medium

I think when you look at this, Macrae's 4th placing makes sense. I thought his last handful of games, particularly the final round and final, were far below his usual level. Libba on the other hand had a very strong finish to the year.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-10-2020, 07:23 PM
Zaine in the top 10 isn't a great look. Thought he had a pretty bad year.

bornadog
06-10-2020, 07:24 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EjoPWAxU8AEnhrc?format=jpg&name=medium

bornadog
06-10-2020, 07:26 PM

Is that where he finished?

Edit - he wasn't top ten, you were looking at early leader board

Grantysghost
06-10-2020, 07:34 PM
Well done Caleb, super year.

Eastdog
06-10-2020, 07:34 PM
Well done Caleb Daniel! Well deserved. He has had an excellent season in that back half.

DOG GOD
06-10-2020, 07:35 PM
Great effort Caleb. Totally deserved.

Eastdog
06-10-2020, 07:35 PM
Good to see Alex Keath and Bailey Williams in the top 10. Very good both this year. Bailey Williams cementing that role in the half back line and Alex Keath proving very worthy deeper in our defence.

Grantysghost
06-10-2020, 07:37 PM

Here is the final leaderboard :

Charles Sutton Medal voting

Charles Sutton Medal – Caleb Daniel (205 votes)
Doug Hawkins Medal – Marcus Bontempelli (195)
Gary Dempsey Medal – Tom Liberatore (160)

4th – Jack Macrae (154)
5th – Bailey Williams (121)
6th – Alex Keath (118)
7th – Bailey Smith (105)
8th – Tim English (89)
9th – Lachie Hunter (84)
10th – Mitch Wallis (83)

How many games did Hunter miss, he's done well to get 9th.

jazzadogs
06-10-2020, 07:38 PM
Congratulations Caleb! A fantastic season receiving some very well-deserved recognition with AA and a Charles Sutton Medal!

He averaged over 20 touches, 3.8 rebound 50s and 1.6 inside 50s. He was ranked 7th in the competition for total number of effective disposals, and as we all know this is his real point of difference.

IMO his best performance of the year was against Hawthorn, with 28 touches and a goal.

Axe Man
06-10-2020, 07:40 PM
How many games did Hunter miss, he's done well to get 9th.

Played 10 games. Had he played all 18 he would have been looking at a likely top 5 finish.

Grantysghost
06-10-2020, 07:54 PM
On the salary v b & f result roi ratio are we nominating Johannisen as worst performed? Like to see where he finished.

jazzadogs
06-10-2020, 07:59 PM
9 of the top 10 played over 16 games, highlighting how important consistency was in the shortened season in terms of gathering votes. I wonder if we will see someone like Boak beat Neale to the Brownlow, as Neale had a quiet patch towards the end of the season.

JJ, Bruce and Richards are the only other three players to play over 16 games, who didn't feature in the top 10. There's a fair bit of money and angst in those first two.

Doc26
06-10-2020, 08:20 PM
Congratulations to Caleb, and very happy for him. He is certainly deserving of a top three.
For all that the opposition throws at him every week, and with the added load of leading the team, I saw Marcus as our Best and Fairest over the year, and the player we could least afford to lose.

josie
06-10-2020, 08:37 PM
Congrats Caleb. Daniel was my pick for B&F.

Thoroughly deserved.

I reckon Libba had a better year than Bonti too, less flashy (do not mean that in a demeaning way, Bont is still a star for us) but just as influential.

Will be interesting to see who umps give most Brownlow votes to in our team.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-10-2020, 09:08 PM

Yes you’re right I thought that was final.

bornadog
06-10-2020, 09:09 PM
Congrats Caleb. Daniel was my pick for B&F.

Thoroughly deserved.

I reckon Libba had a better year than Bonti too, less flashy (do not mean that in a demeaning way, Bont is still a star for us) but just as influential.

Will be interesting to see who umps give most Brownlow votes to in our team.

I have caleb at 200 to one for the Brownlow. :)

bornadog
06-10-2020, 09:28 PM
Swamp

@sirswampthing
(https://twitter.com/sirswampthing)
Players to finish top 3 in the WBD B&F in 6 consecutive seasons
Ted Whitten
Gary Dempsey
MARCUS BONTEMPELLI

FrediKanoute
06-10-2020, 10:22 PM

Really? I thought Zaine was good this year. For the first half of the year (aside from his pec injury) he was a vastly improved defender. OK poor game in the Elimination final, but he was one of our better players this year.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-10-2020, 10:35 PM
Really? I thought Zaine was good this year. For the first half of the year (aside from his pec injury) he was a vastly improved defender. OK poor game in the Elimination final, but he was one of our better players this year.

Yeah I thought he was often outpositioned and outmuscled. Might have been a result of our overall disorganisation.

soupman
06-10-2020, 10:48 PM
On Zaine I think he is ok but is kind of destined to always be that reliable depth player.

I don't really think he adds much to our defence and if we are going to try to shoehorn Wood and Duryea into the side along with Gardner and Keath I think Cordy becomes one too many defence only defenders.

However, Josh Bruce has effectively been playing "defensive key forward" all season. If we went into 2021 with the same list would it be worth focusing Cordy on being a pure forward again? He is just as effective in the air as Bruce, but is competent at ground level and much more mobile. I also think he may be more effective in the supporting role for Naughton than Bruce is who wants to be in the spots we need Naughton to occupy.

Basically Cordy>Bruce as second tall forward, discuss.

GVGjr
06-10-2020, 11:04 PM
On Zaine I think he is ok but is kind of destined to always be that reliable depth player.

I don't really think he adds much to our defence and if we are going to try to shoehorn Wood and Duryea into the side along with Gardner and Keath I think Cordy becomes one too many defence only defenders.

However, Josh Bruce has effectively been playing "defensive key forward" all season. If we went into 2021 with the same list would it be worth focusing Cordy on being a pure forward again? He is just as effective in the air as Bruce, but is competent at ground level and much more mobile. I also think he may be more effective in the supporting role for Naughton than Bruce is who wants to be in the spots we need Naughton to occupy.

Basically Cordy>Bruce as second tall forward, discuss.

When Bruce's name was being touted last year I wondered if we would have been better at going harder at Howard and moving Cordy forward but I never imagined that Bruce would be so poor this year and that we would play him regardless
Bruce will be better next season though and is structurally a better option than Cordy

I'd imagine that Cordy will still be in our best 22 next season

GVGjr
06-10-2020, 11:12 PM
An inspiring win by Daniel and food for thought about judging someone more on their ability and form rather than their height etc
One of the smartest users of the footy that I think has played for our club

Scorlibo
06-10-2020, 11:32 PM
I liked Cordy's start to the year, and I like what he brings to the side. He's probably our best tackler - very rarely let's them go, usually nails them. Remember the tackle on Josh Kennedy against the Eagles? Wow.

I think he's comfortably ahead of Gardner as far as tall defenders go and could probably do well in a defensive forward role too.

Bulldog4life
07-10-2020, 11:13 AM

Reckon Libba snr was about those odds, or longer, at the start of the season when he won.

Bulldog4life
07-10-2020, 11:16 AM
Congrats to Caleb. Had a great season. Would like him to start further up the field next season. And a big thank you for Liam Jones for helping us land Caleb. Pick 46 too.

Eastdog
07-10-2020, 12:16 PM
Swamp

@sirswampthing
Ted Whitten
Gary Dempsey
MARCUS BONTEMPELLI

That is very good company.

azabob
07-10-2020, 12:29 PM
Swamp

@sirswampthing
Ted Whitten
Gary Dempsey
MARCUS BONTEMPELLI

I'm surprise Scott West wasn't in that list considering he won them for fun.

GVGjr
07-10-2020, 12:33 PM

I hope you bet big :) Nice odds and great investment by yourself

Well done

Axe Man
07-10-2020, 12:45 PM
I hope you bet big :) Nice odds and great investment by yourself

Well done

I hope he didn't, Caleb ain't winning the Brownlow.

Fantastic achievement to win the B&F and gain All Australian selection. As someone who has played a lot of footy with a similar stature to Caleb (without the skill level), I particularly admire what he has been able to achieve after he was undoubtedly told he was too small and too slow. If you are good enough you are big enough.

Amazed by the calls to move Caleb from the position that he is just about the best in the AFL at though. Other than the occasional move depending on game circumstances (eg to free him up from a forward tag), please leave him back where he is elite. Yes he could also be good further upfield but I seriously doubt he can have the same influence. Remember when Easton Wood played forward...

Eastdog
07-10-2020, 01:16 PM

^ Denotes current player

Multiple Charles Sutton Medal winners

Player Medals Seasons
Scott West 7 1995, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005
Gary Dempsey 6 1970, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977
John Schultz 5 1960, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1966
Norman Ware 5 1934, 1937, 1938, 1940, 1941
Ted Whitten 5 1954, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1961
Matthew Boyd 3 2009, 2011, 2012
Ian Dunstan 3 1979, 1981, 1982
Harry Hickey 3 1939, 1945, 1948
Brad Johnson 3 1999, 2002, 2006
Ivan McAlpine 3 1927, 1930, 1932
Marcus Bontempelli^ 3
2016, 2017, 2019
Jack Collins 2 1951, 1952
Chris Grant 2 1994, 1996
Ryan Griffen 2 2010, 2013
Alby Morrison 2 1933, 1936
Arthur Olliver 2 1941, 1944
Joe Ryan 2 1946, 1947
Kelvin Templeton 2 1978, 1980
David Thorpe 2 1968, 1971
Terry Wallace 2 1988, 1989

bornadog
07-10-2020, 01:23 PM

^ Denotes current player

Multiple Charles Sutton Medal winners

Player Medals Seasons
Scott West 7 1995, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005
Gary Dempsey 6 1970, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977
John Schultz 5 1960, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1966
Norman Ware 5 1934, 1937, 1938, 1940, 1941
Ted Whitten 5 1954, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1961
Matthew Boyd 3 2009, 2011, 2012
Ian Dunstan 3 1979, 1981, 1982
Harry Hickey 3 1939, 1945, 1948
Brad Johnson 3 1999, 2002, 2006
Ivan McAlpine 3 1927, 1930, 1932
Marcus Bontempelli^ 3
2016, 2017, 2019
Jack Collins 2 1951, 1952
Chris Grant 2 1994, 1996
Ryan Griffen 2 2010, 2013
Alby Morrison 2 1933, 1936
Arthur Olliver 2 1941, 1944
Joe Ryan 2 1946, 1947
Kelvin Templeton 2 1978, 1980
David Thorpe 2 1968, 1971
Terry Wallace 2 1988, 1989

Swamps stats are top 3 in 6 x consecutive years.

Axe Man
07-10-2020, 01:39 PM
I'm surprise Scott West wasn't in that list considering he won them for fun.

In terms of Brownlow votes West was down in 2001/02/03 (although he still won the B&F in 2003). I'm guessing he may have missed the top 3 in 2001 and/or 2002 (only 18 games in 2002) to break up consecutive top 3 appearances.

Actually I found it - Scott finished 5th in 2002, just missed out winning in 2001 to Darcy.

macca
07-10-2020, 08:05 PM
Well done Caleb . one of my favourite players to watch due to his class and elite disposal . Really love the fact he got all Australia , B&F
And a premiership player
When all other clubs passed him due to his size we got him for Pick 46 , what a bargain !!!