PDA

View Full Version : How many Dogs players (and other teams' AFL players) were good at basketball?

Dry Rot
10-10-2020, 11:47 PM
IIRC Westie was a gun basketball player, and that translated into various high level AFL skills. Bont too?

How many Dogs players (and other teams' AFL players) were good at basketball? And does it help them with AFL?

I have a reason for asking this, to be revealed later in the thread.

Sedat
11-10-2020, 12:10 AM
How many Dogs players (and other teams' AFL players) were good at basketball? And does it help them with AFL?
I think I might have heard somewhere that, and correct me if I'm wrong, Scott Pendlebury might have played basketball as a junior.

EasternWest
11-10-2020, 12:15 AM
I think I might have heard somewhere that, and correct me if I'm wrong, Scott Pendlebury might have played basketball as a junior.

Don't think so. Seems like something that would have been mentioned.

Weird that Mason Cox, being American and so tall, never played basketball.

Dry Rot
11-10-2020, 12:36 AM
So does a basketball background help with playing AFL?

Bulldog Revolution
11-10-2020, 12:37 AM

Yeah Pendlebury was kind of Patty Mills contemporary and had an AIS scholarship offer IIRC

Tony Shaw was a state basketballer, Scott West very good, and I believe Brian Taylor was good also

In more recent times Petracca was v.good - Jack Watts was a star junior

bulldogsthru&thru
11-10-2020, 12:40 AM
Does anyone know if Petracca knows Ben Simmons?

bornadog
11-10-2020, 12:43 AM
Terry Wallace played

Twodogs
11-10-2020, 01:24 AM
Terry Wallace played

Paul Roos too from that era.

Marcus Bontempelli and Hugh Greenwood.

Matthew Dellavedova went the other way.

Dry Rot
11-10-2020, 01:38 AM
The reason I asked: I happened to have a chat with someone last week who is familiar with our first year draft pick JUH.

Said he is a really gun basketballer.

Twodogs
11-10-2020, 01:55 AM
The reason I asked: I happened to have a chat with someone last week who is familiar with our first year draft pick JUH.

I wouldn't be surprised, he seems like the sort of kid who's good at all sports. But I can only find where he's played basketball with a country team called Terang Tornadoes but then he's said he plays to stay in condition for footy. Can't see where he's played any elite/representative level basketball so he either doesn't take it that seriously or isn't an out and out gun.

Dry Rot
11-10-2020, 04:11 AM
I wouldn't be surprised, he seems like the sort of kid who's good at all sports. But I can only find where he's played basketball with a country team called Terang Tornadoes but then he's said he plays to stay in condition for footy. Can't see where he's played any elite/representative level basketball so he either doesn't take it that seriously or isn't an out and out gun.

Dunno what level of basketball JUH played, FWIW the guy just said he was very good at it.

azabob
11-10-2020, 08:21 AM
Dean Brogan played for the Adelaide 36'rs and Port Adelaide.

SonofScray
11-10-2020, 12:56 PM
Basketball is one of the least appealing sports for me. I hated playing, despite being reasonably tall. Used to get fouled out all the time for trying to take hangers and hip and shouldering blokes. Guys with a good BB background do seem to get good at hanging onto the footy in tight quarters and keeping the ball in positions where it can be used.

Happy Days
11-10-2020, 01:38 PM
There was a clip of Bont playing with (Jarryd) Roughy and Pendles that got uploaded somewhere a while back and obviously Bont looked insane. Bailey Smith can dunk and has a smooth release on his jumper per his IG.

I love seeing players from one sport play a different sport. It's like watching a dog skateboard.

bornadog
11-10-2020, 02:50 PM

Was in the AIS as an under 18 basketballer, but decided to come back to Vic and play Footy

azabob
11-10-2020, 03:08 PM
Was in the AIS as an under 18 basketballer, but decided to come back to Vic and play Footy

BAD, your sarcasm meter is broken.

Sedat full well knows that Pendlebury was a basketballer as channel 7 only says it 5 million times each time they broadcast a Collingwood game.

bornadog
11-10-2020, 03:16 PM

Sedat full well knows that Pendlebury was a basketballer as channel 7 only says it 5 million times each time they broadcast a Collingwood game.

Tell you the truth, I don't listen to what they say.

EasternWest
11-10-2020, 04:08 PM
Tell you the truth, I don't listen to what they say.

Why you have to hurt Sedat's feelings like that?

bornadog
11-10-2020, 04:29 PM
Why you have to hurt Sedat's feelings like that?

Haha.

Sedat
11-10-2020, 05:26 PM

That would make it 1,580,000,000 times it has been said in all of Pendlebury's 316 games to date. Sounds about on the money.

Bulldog Revolution
11-10-2020, 06:02 PM

Jamarra has some height, is a great leap, probably a reasonable tank and looks skilled hand eye so probably would be an impactful junior basketballer - certainly he would at least be super impactful against kids his own age, even if he wasnt actually that good a player.

As long as they don't compare him to Tim Walsh we are ok - Tim had an impact on basketball games because of height and athleticism - but couldn't actually play basketball.

HOSE B ROMERO
11-10-2020, 07:35 PM
Scotty West attributed basketball with helping with his peripheral vision on the footy field.

Twodogs
11-10-2020, 07:56 PM
Basketball is one of the least appealing sports for me. I hated playing, despite being reasonably tall. Used to get fouled out all the time for trying to take hangers and hip and shouldering blokes. Guys with a good BB background do seem to get good at hanging onto the footy in tight quarters and keeping the ball in positions where it can be used.

I never used to rate it as a sport either but I've come around to it the last few years. It's much better than it used to be.

EasternWest
11-10-2020, 08:34 PM
I never used to rate it as a sport either but I've come around to it the last few years. It's much better than it used to be.

Can't agree with that.

Reckon in Australia it's having a renaissance but nothing tops 90's for NBL.

NBA is a basket case and is basically unwatchable IMO.

WBFC4FFC
11-10-2020, 09:34 PM
Scotty West attributed basketball with helping with his peripheral vision on the footy field.

Believe Jordan Roughead and Ayce Cordy represented Vic Country in Basketball. Murphy was decent as well.

Mofra
12-10-2020, 09:51 AM
Bont's family is well known in basketball circles. Olivia is a very good basketballer in her own right, Marcus got the commitment genes in the family though

BornInDroopSt'54
12-10-2020, 03:18 PM
My son is semi pro basketballer and practises a lot on open public city courts. He only tokenly follows the Dogs.
He told me he played basketball with a young guy on our list. It wasn't the name Jamarra but it sounded like him.
My son said he was an OK player.

westdog54
12-10-2020, 03:30 PM
There was a clip of Bont playing with (Jarryd) Roughy and Pendles that got uploaded somewhere a while back and obviously Bont looked insane. Bailey Smith can dunk and has a smooth release on his jumper per his IG.

I love seeing players from one sport play a different sport. It's like watching a dog skateboard.

I remember the clip you mean. Bont can handle a basketball.

I remember NicNat getting roped into Dunking over the MC at Half Time at a Perth Wildcats game. WC weren't happy when the video surfaced.

bornadog
12-10-2020, 03:49 PM
Here is one with Jarrad Roughead

https://www.hawthornfc.com.au/video/475939/tissot-challenge-basketball?videoId=475939&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1468119600001

Bulldog Revolution
12-10-2020, 03:54 PM
Lipinski's brother was a pretty reasonable player also - I imagine Pat can play a bit also

EasternWest
12-10-2020, 08:46 PM
Lipinski's brother was a pretty reasonable player also - I imagine Pat can play a bit also

Could he hit two massive three pointers at clutch periods in a grand final as the ice flowed through his veins. Because I know a guy who can.