PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Finals Footy - the Prelims and Grand Final Discussion

bornadog
16-10-2020, 09:25 PM
First quarter fast and furious. Port needs to have better entries into the forward line

azabob
16-10-2020, 09:31 PM
They are matching the tigers for physical pressure at the man and ball.

Should be further in front.

bornadog
16-10-2020, 09:41 PM
HTB again an issue

bornadog
16-10-2020, 09:42 PM
Pickett has jibbed it several times - doesn't like foot steps

azabob
16-10-2020, 09:47 PM
Pickett has jibbed it several times - doesn't like foot steps

Yep. He had one good piece of play in the HFF.

josie
16-10-2020, 10:01 PM
Anyone else think Powell Pepper is not very effective? Fast, tenacious but to my eyes quite often poor disposal and low footy smarts.

Reckon Tigers have had umps on their side with HTB - missing Tigers ones and calling Port ones that appear to be no different.

Love watching Robbie Gray-so composed even in horrid conditions. Rozee looks like a star in the making.

Wish we had someone as hard at it and big as Dixon. Naughty could be this for us in future (as well as being damn good when ball is in dispute or in fact anywhere near him-just needs to become consistent).

Go Port!!!

Rocket Science
16-10-2020, 10:02 PM
If I'm Port I'm not too displeased Richmond are level chiefly on the back of Dusty being Dusty. They're looking extremely well organised and besting Richmond in most parts of the ground.

Also witnessing how their kids have come on and how hungry they seem for the challenge makes me equal parts envious and a little less forgiving we've been unable to breed the same instincts in some of ours, yet.

ReLoad
16-10-2020, 10:06 PM
Ladhams is a turnip. I know conditions don’t suit but stupid frees he has given away. Please don’t chase him dogs.

DOG GOD
16-10-2020, 10:24 PM
Port will need to take every opportunity here to get this. Get the feeling Rich will win a close one.

azabob
16-10-2020, 10:46 PM
The deliberate out of bounds rule is cooked.

Seriously cooked.

Commentary team say nothing

merantau
16-10-2020, 10:48 PM
Lycett has been very good. Richmond getting a good run from umps.

azabob
16-10-2020, 10:54 PM
Not sure either team has had a good run from the umpires.

hujsh
16-10-2020, 11:11 PM
Terrible result. Let's go Brisbane

azabob
16-10-2020, 11:11 PM
Great win by the tigers.

Nankervis a big ruckman taking two important marks at the end.

Rocket Science
16-10-2020, 11:14 PM
Yeah righto. I've officially had a gutful of the Tiges.

If Brissy don't get up tomorrow night I'm sitting out the granny.

josie
16-10-2020, 11:15 PM
Yuk.

If it’s cats vs tigers GF I do not think I’ll bother watching. Think Tigers should send a box chocs to the umps.

Ebert brave as. Hope he is ok.

soupman
16-10-2020, 11:16 PM
Yuk.

If it’s cats vs tigers GF I do not think I’ll bother watching. Think Tigers should send a box chocs to the umps.

"But they're doing it for Victoria". Spare me.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-10-2020, 11:16 PM
Jeez. Tigers just keep bloody winning.

So envious of that club.

Sedat
16-10-2020, 11:17 PM
Another game won by a ruckman giving crucial first use to the mids. Nankervis was massive tonight

azabob
16-10-2020, 11:19 PM
Another game won by a ruckman giving crucial first use to the mids. Nankervis was massive tonight

Yep. His two marks in D50 in the last quarter where huge.

Umpires had no baring on the result.

Grantysghost
16-10-2020, 11:20 PM
Tigers are just too damn good. A model of great drafting balanced with the right trades and a fantastic system.
They suffered for so long, they've become a monster now; they'll win the lot.

comrade
16-10-2020, 11:21 PM

I’m not sure how anyone can watch this finals series and think anything but a physical, strong genuine ruckman is incredibly critical to a teams success.

SonofScray
Frustrating seeing the Tigers keep finding their way into these scenarios to build on the legacy of their initial flag.

The Bulldogs Bite

HUGE.

FFS I hope Bevo was watching.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-10-2020, 11:32 PM
Watching that game I can’t help but think how far off the pace we are....

Richmond were too good. Composed.

EasternWest
16-10-2020, 11:36 PM

That was just about the most remarkable spoil I've seen.

Sedat
16-10-2020, 11:43 PM
Yep. His two marks in D50 in the last quarter where huge.

Umpires had no baring on the result.

Also clearances in the last qtr were something like 14-4 Richmond's way. It is usually a big strength of Port.

macca
16-10-2020, 11:55 PM

Yep , he took crucial marks in the last quarter , chopping out Dixon. NANKERVIS class above lycett and laudhams

Agree with all the comments of importance and hope Bevo can see that

We did have 2 rucks in 2016, executing their role

Kamdyn Macintosh showed some class to tonight . Big body mid, stood up. Astbury was good as well

Would love a Bolton type in our team

The bulldog tragician
17-10-2020, 12:00 AM
What a brutal match. Port did so much right. It’s so hard to break down Richmonds systems even when you’re on top of them for periods. I’m officially depressed that the Tigers are doing what we couldn’t, that on what I saw tonight we are very far off the pace, and that 2016 seems a zillion years away.

Sedat
17-10-2020, 12:13 AM
Given the conditions, I wonder if Port should have selected Westhoff instead of Marshall with an injury cloud. Westhoff would have had the nous to get to the right spots in F50, and also would have been able to play spare down back when needed. His lack of pace would not have been exposed in those conditions.

Grantysghost
17-10-2020, 12:13 AM
That was just about the most remarkable spoil I've seen.

Stretchers have gone the way of contact below the knees. He shouldn’t have been made to walk off.

MrMahatma
17-10-2020, 12:14 AM
Watching that game I can’t help but think how far off the pace we are....

Richmond were too good. Composed.

So far but not so far. We have a lot of talent. We don’t have the right structure (Ruck, Key Defenders) and need to work on pressure and tackling.

No reason we can’t win the flag next year if we get trade period right.

bornadog
17-10-2020, 12:35 AM

Hitouts Port 45 to 23

Also clearances in the last qtr were something like 14-4 Richmond's way. It is usually a big strength of Port.

Now that is where they won the game with 41 to 29 including 5 more stoppage clearances and 7 more centre clr

Sedat
17-10-2020, 01:02 AM
Hitouts Port 45 to 23
Such an archaic way to look at it. Hitouts to advantage and clean clearances went Richmond's way tonight, as it did last week against St Kilda, and as it did for St Kilda the week before against us.

Nankervis bashes and crashes in the style of Ben Hudson and ensures the opposing ruckman don't get a clear run at stoppages. He also works hard when the ball hits the deck and he works incredibly hard supporting the defenders in D50 under the high ball. Tonight he completely negated what is usually a massive advantage for Port tonight and was BOG for mine.

You are perfectly entitled to have your views on ruckmen. For mine, the best and most physical ones are proven time and time again to help win critical finals, and tonight was just another example proving the point.

merantau
17-10-2020, 01:33 AM
It was a game of inches. Port weren't too far away. Boak's miss in the 3rd was crucial. But have to give it to Richmond with gritted teeth. They found a way again. Go LIONS!!

GVGjr
17-10-2020, 02:55 AM

So envious of that club.

After winning the flag they've been determined to go on with it. Kudos to them
We can be creative with our excuses but we should have seen stronger performances after our flag win

G-Mo77
17-10-2020, 06:29 AM

So envious of that club.

Same mate. After winning in 2016 we had a perfect chance to build on our success on and off the field. I had visions of "sustained success" like Richmond have had, which we kind of joked about after 2017. We have completely gone backwards since and it’s an absolute disgrace we haven't capitiblisd on our win. Love them or hate them, they're doing exactly what we planned to do after 2016.

Grantysghost
17-10-2020, 08:36 AM
Same mate. After winning in 2016 we had a perfect chance to build on our success on and off the field. I had visions of "sustained success" like Richmond have had, which we kind of joked about after 2017. We have completely gone backwards since and it’s an absolute disgrace we haven't capitiblisd on our win. Love them or hate them, they're doing exactly what we planned to do after 2016.

They also have a once in a lifetime player in Martin. He makes them all walk taller. What a big game player. Only player to ever have 3 x 20 disposals and 2 goals in prelims. Might have 3 x Norm Smith medals next week. You can pretty much mark down his decision not to go to North as the most important sliding doors moment for a team ever almost.

MrMahatma
17-10-2020, 09:06 AM
They also have a once in a lifetime player in Martin. He makes them all walk taller. What a big game player. Only player to ever have 3 x 20 disposals and 2 goals in prelims. Might have 3 x Norm Smith medals next week. You can pretty much mark down his decision not to go to North as the most important sliding doors moment for a team ever almost.

He’s all time. An unbelievable player and while Bont is very good, Martin is very much on another level. Even just his goal finishing. Sublime.

comrade
17-10-2020, 09:23 AM
Dusty might be the best footballer I’ve ever seen.

Grantysghost
17-10-2020, 09:51 AM
Dusty might be the best footballer I’ve ever seen.

Crazy question. Any chance other teams might try and lock down on him or put him off his game ? He roams free. That first goal he was free at a stoppage not a body near him. I think it's worth a try especially in finals. Hard I know as he can go forward, but at least raise the bar from where opposition teams are now.

azabob
17-10-2020, 09:57 AM
Crazy question. Any chance other teams might try and lock down on him or put him off his game ? He roams free. That first goal he was free at a stoppage not a body near him. I think it's worth a try especially in finals. Hard I know as he can go forward, but at least raise the bar from where opposition teams are now.

Problem is where he starts after a goal or start of a quarter isn’t where he ends up. Port tried to lock him down, but it’s just near on impossible.

azabob
17-10-2020, 09:59 AM
Although he gave a 50m away and didn’t kick a goal I thought Daniel Rioli was one of richmonds best. Extremely clean with his disposal.

Also kudos need a be given to Cotchin, his last quarter was crazy good.

Also l have loved Shai Bolton’s finals series.

Hotdog60
17-10-2020, 02:07 PM
If you meet Martin in a final just use the Lee Mathews tactics. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi0nnmPYZu8

bornadog
17-10-2020, 03:38 PM
Such an archaic way to look at it. Hitouts to advantage and clean clearances went Richmond's way tonight, as it did last week against St Kilda, and as it did for St Kilda the week before against us.

You can't take one comment, ignore the other comment and then argue your narrative and say it is an archaic way at looking at it. If you look at post 33 you find the answer to why Richmond won. Yes the ruckman needs to put the ball to advantage and Nankervis did that 5 times in the last, but it is not all about the Ruckman.

Here is a good example of what Richmond did in the last quarter:

https://twitter.com/rickm18/status/1317238667224608768

DOG GOD
17-10-2020, 04:10 PM
I’m not sure how anyone can watch this finals series and think anything but a physical, strong genuine ruckman is incredibly critical to a teams success.

Bevo and the MC can.

Sam power “ geez nankervis was good last night”
Bevo “ hows it coming with lonie and hannan? We gunna get both .”

The Adelaide Connection
17-10-2020, 04:29 PM
I liked Richmond more when they were terrible and perennially ninth.

EasternWest
17-10-2020, 07:51 PM
You can't take one comment, ignore the other comment and then argue your narrative

Are you new to the internet?

ledge
17-10-2020, 09:13 PM
So Robinson gets poked in the eye and the physio looks at it.
I can’t wait for someone to hurt their knee and see the optometrist check it out.

Happy Days
17-10-2020, 09:20 PM
So Robinson gets poked in the eye and the physio looks at it.
I can’t wait for someone to hurt their knee and see the optometrist check it out.

Now that he’s half blind he really should belt someone. Has plausible deniability.

bornadog
17-10-2020, 09:53 PM
are you new to the internet?

yes, how did you know :D

ledge
17-10-2020, 10:20 PM
Now that he’s half blind he really should belt someone. Has plausible deniability.

Especially if the physio looked at it

bornadog
17-10-2020, 10:23 PM
Geelong are looking that little better, with more experience than Lions.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-10-2020, 10:33 PM
Brisbane have been pretty poor. Once again the occasion looks too much for them.

Reckon they are nowhere near it mentally.

kruder
17-10-2020, 10:38 PM
Umpires have been woeful in this game just not good enough, cats should be 6 up at least.

Really liking Parfitts game been mid/forward has been clean and sticks his tackles. I really think Narkle could play a similar role for us.

Cam Ryner is a dissaponting footballer, the talent is there but just doesn't get involved enough. He needs to ring track and ask him what he did last preseason.

soupman
17-10-2020, 10:41 PM
Umpires have been woeful in this game just not good enough, cats should be 6 up at least.

Really liking Parfitts game been mid/forward has been clean and sticks his tackles. I really think Narkle could play a similar role for us.

Parfitt is out of contract why don't we just grab him?

kruder
17-10-2020, 10:42 PM
Parfitt is out of contract why don't we just grab him?

Didn't realise, yep perfect player for us I'd be all over him. Love to add him and Bolton exactly what we need.

Rocket Science
17-10-2020, 10:44 PM
Brisbane have been pretty poor. Once again the occasion looks too much for them.

Reckon they are nowhere near it mentally.

Reminds me of another team I know.

This grand final's going to be insufferable.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-10-2020, 10:49 PM
Reminds me of another team I know.

This grand final's going to be insufferable.

It's been a horrific weekend of footy.

EasternWest
17-10-2020, 10:52 PM
Lions playing vintage Bulldogs footy. Bomb it forward, watch it come out uncontested.

Grantysghost
17-10-2020, 10:54 PM
It feels like a dogs final v the cats. Always chasing tail never getting there.

Tigers might have a field day next week. It’s the gf 2020 deserves. No one cares.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-10-2020, 10:56 PM
Lions playing vintage Bulldogs footy. Bomb it forward, watch it come out uncontested.

Don’t forget miss easy set shots.

Rocket Science
17-10-2020, 10:57 PM
Oh well, silver linings, if the Cats are going to choke again it may as well be on the biggest stage.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-10-2020, 10:58 PM
The fact that Dangerfield plays in a GF makes me sick.

ledge
17-10-2020, 10:59 PM
So it’s 3rd v 4th grand final

kruder
17-10-2020, 11:01 PM
Can't stand the Cats but farrrk they are an impressive footy club.

azabob
17-10-2020, 11:02 PM
So it’s 3rd v 4th grand final

When was the last time that happened?

Happy Days
17-10-2020, 11:03 PM

Don’t forget relying on the superstar mid to do everything

azabob
17-10-2020, 11:04 PM
When was the last time that happened?

Apparently last year!

Rocket Science
17-10-2020, 11:13 PM
Oh well, silver linings, if the Cats are going to choke again it may as well be on the biggest stage.

And if you're not with me HERE (https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1317410116174401536?s=20)'s the AFEL weirdly stanning the 'Little Master' and excuse me while I spew the f**k up.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-10-2020, 11:18 PM
And if you're not with me HERE (https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1317410116174401536?s=20)'s the AFEL weirdly stanning the 'Little Master' and excuse me while I spew the f**k up.

The GF narrative around Chris Scott, Ablett, Dangerfield, Taylor etc is going to be sickening.

I don't think I'll open a single newspaper or watch a minute of TV before the GF next week.

Please embarrass them, Tigers.

azabob
17-10-2020, 11:20 PM
The GF narrative around Chris Scott, Ablett, Dangerfield, Taylor etc is going to be sickening.

I don't think I'll open a single newspaper or watch a minute of TV before the GF next week.

You buy newspapers?

The Bulldogs Bite
17-10-2020, 11:23 PM
You buy newspapers?

Digital.

I'll burn my computer if I have to.

Grantysghost
17-10-2020, 11:25 PM
Oh god that’s nauseating. Need ... to ...bleach... my ....eyes .....

Noticed short quarters mean the game never breaks open and teams that setup like the Cats can keep their shape ad infinitum.

SquirrelGrip
17-10-2020, 11:27 PM

Whilst I really dislike Selwood & Dangerfield, plus Harry Taylor when he plays us, I have the utmost respect for Gary Ablett and what he has achieved over his career. Tonight he remained influential with the possessions he had and deserves to play his last game in a Final. He is one of the best of the modern era.

What frustrates me the most is how the bigger clubs get the free agents for nothing and somehow still fit everyone under the salary cap.

Rocket Science
17-10-2020, 11:28 PM
About the only redeeming prospect for next weekend is an image of Chris Scott, Danger, Gaddy & Harry Taylor in an inconsolable post-loss group-hug while Dusty's giving the cameras the double metal horns, tongue out Haka-style.

Hotdog60
17-10-2020, 11:37 PM
Well that's Footy for me in 2020. I can't stand to watch those two teams play each other.
They better have some life support close by for Bruce.

Vred
17-10-2020, 11:39 PM
Couldn't think of a worse grand finals to finish this shit season.

Bring on 2021

Sedat
18-10-2020, 12:01 AM
Gary Rohan up and about after that game. He might book in some extra recovery time with the physio.

ledge
18-10-2020, 12:12 AM
Gary Rohan up and about after that game. He might book in some extra recovery time with the physio.

Did he get poked in the eye ?

Sedat
18-10-2020, 12:21 AM
It's been a horrific weekend of footy.
Richmond flag would not bother me in the slightest. They may as well have 3 out of 4 and secure their legacy as one of the great teams in history.

Geelong flag and Danger Norm Smith on the other hand....

josie
18-10-2020, 12:40 AM
Agree with Sedat. Prefer Tigers to win it. Not sure I will watch it though. Seeing Gablett and Selfwood whinge about free kicks is painful. So is Lynch playing dirty tactics. Would be nice to send off some of close to retirement Cats without another cup though.

bornadog
18-10-2020, 12:40 AM
The two teams tat played very little footy in the past month lost.

The AFL has to rethink the week off before finals.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-10-2020, 12:52 AM

It’s certainly been the case since the pre finals bye was introduced. But the competition has also been a lot more even since then. It’s not as though Port were even favourites against the tigers and honestly it never felt right that Brisbane even made it this far.

It certainly isn’t ideal having 2 games in 4 weeks though.

Sedat
18-10-2020, 01:01 AM

I wonder if Chris Scott will finally curtail his annual whinge over the pre-finals bye this year, seeing as it benefitted his team.

The Adelaide Connection
18-10-2020, 01:23 AM
I liked the Cats more when they were perennially losing Prelims.

Richmond or Geelong? 2020 just keeps finding a way to kick you in the guts.

comrade
18-10-2020, 09:39 AM
You can't take one comment, ignore the other comment and then argue your narrative and say it is an archaic way at looking at it. If you look at post 33 you find the answer to why Richmond won. Yes the ruckman needs to put the ball to advantage and Nankervis did that 5 times in the last, but it is not all about the Ruckman.

Here is a good example of what Richmond did in the last quarter:

https://twitter.com/rickm18/status/1317238667224608768

Your mids can only be aggressive at clearances when they don’t have to be reactive to the opposition ruckman putting it wherever he wants. Makes it much easier to swarm and move at a stoppage when your big man is at least keeping the ball in the contest, vs it being put down the throat of the opposition. An effective stoppage unit includes a strong ruckman.

That clip was also devoid of any highlights where Lycette just grabbed the ball and punted it forward to put the defence under pressure, which happens to us multiple times a game.

DOG GOD
18-10-2020, 10:06 AM
God, imagine Bruce salivating over dusty AND danger in the one grand final ?

DOG GOD
18-10-2020, 10:08 AM
It all comes down to who I loathe the most....

A) Dangerfield/Selwood/Taylor
B) Cotchin/reiwoldt/Lynch

GVGjr
18-10-2020, 10:27 AM
Your mids can only be aggressive at clearances when they don’t have to be reactive to the opposition ruckman putting it wherever he wants. Makes it much easier to swarm and move at a stoppage when your big man is at least keeping the ball in the contest, vs it being put down the throat of the opposition. An effective stoppage unit includes a strong ruckman.

That clip was also devoid of any highlights where Lycette just grabbed the ball and punted it forward to put the defence under pressure, which happens to us multiple times a game.

Our midfield has learned to be competitive against strong opposition ruckman but they could be more effective if we were more competitive with our hit outs. It's going to be interesting to see if we try and get some more support for English during the trade period

EasternWest
18-10-2020, 10:58 AM
I like Richmond and would be happy if they won don't at me.

bornadog
18-10-2020, 11:03 AM

Our midfield has learned to be competitive against strong opposition ruckman but they could be more effective if we were more competitive with our hit outs. It's going to be interesting to see if we try and get some more support for English during the trade period

What I wanted to say was it is not all about hitouts. Nankervis lost the hitouts, but was effective with hitout to advanatge. Too many times we (supporters) focus on hitouts.

In a way, I like the Geelong model with two athletic types.

Interesting last night's game, the stats were even in the usual KPI, like the hitouts, clearances and stoppages, except Contested poss.

Therefore, is Bevo going to look for another athletic type to be second ruck? Can't see us looking for an old fashion ruckman.

azabob
18-10-2020, 12:03 PM
What I wanted to say was it is not all about hitouts. Nankervis lost the hitouts, but was effective with hitout to advanatge. Too many times we (supporters) focus on hitouts.

In a way, I like the Geelong model with two athletic types.

Interesting last night's game, the stats were even in the usual KPI, like the hitouts, clearances and stoppages, except Contested poss.

Therefore, is Bevo going to look for another athletic type to be second ruck? Can't see us looking for an old fashion ruckman.

BAD, I have asked you a couple of times but I don’t think you have answered.

What is your opinion we should do in the ruck (not what you think Bevo will do)

bornadog
18-10-2020, 12:50 PM
BAD, I have asked you a couple of times but I don’t think you have answered.

What is your opinion we should do in the ruck (not what you think Bevo will do)

Sorry Aza, I missed that.

If we can't get a mature athletic ruckman as a backup/second ruck then we need to do two things:

1. Draft an 18 year old future ruckman.

and 2. Next year, put Schache in as the relieving ruck. The bullshit with poor old Dunks has to stop. Schache played ruck/fwd as a junior, so he needs an intensive programme to be ready.

On trading - I would still target Goldstien as a stop gap two years/coach of English. If not then really consider 2PM.

There really aren't too many rucks around that are gettable.

jeemak
18-10-2020, 06:14 PM
Dangerfield certainly behaved weirder than usual after the game last night. And that's pretty weird.

Really didn't want to show any level of elation, too cool for school. He may regret that, given GFs are extremely difficult to make and you should enjoy the ride while you can.

But, I guess when you stage manage every single element of your public persona that's the result.

Happy Days
18-10-2020, 06:31 PM
Dangerfield certainly behaved weirder than usual after the game last night. And that's pretty weird.

Really didn't want to show any level of elation, too cool for school. He may regret that, given GFs are extremely difficult to make and you should enjoy the ride while you can.

But, I guess when you stage manage every single element of your public persona that's the result.

What about Cotchin immediately thanking the AFL and the state of Queensland in his immediate post game interview on Friday? Richmond are a dead set political party, always have to stay on message.

jeemak
18-10-2020, 06:32 PM
What about Cotchin immediately thanking the AFL and the state of Queensland in his immediate post game interview on Friday? Richmond are a dead set political party, always have to stay on message.

That was very strange.

azabob
18-10-2020, 07:10 PM

He is practicing his acceptance speech

merantau
18-10-2020, 08:38 PM
This is shaping up to be a classic game reminiscent of the '67 GF which I was fortunate to attend. My tip is Geelong to win a close one.

Eastdog
18-10-2020, 09:20 PM
Quite ironic. Last time we had an all Victorian GF was in 2011 and this year we get it but being played in QLD. Also over recent years whoever gets the first goal in the GF loses.

Grantysghost
20-10-2020, 03:48 PM
Hawkins has had to isolate as he's unwell.

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/afl/afl-grand-final-2020-afl-finals-geelong-tom-hawkins-sickness-covid19-isolate-richmond-vs-geelong/news-story/8c26a72faae8c17e05a07613b7da72a8

The Adelaide Connection
21-10-2020, 12:50 AM

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/afl/afl-grand-final-2020-afl-finals-geelong-tom-hawkins-sickness-covid19-isolate-richmond-vs-geelong/news-story/8c26a72faae8c17e05a07613b7da72a8

Imagine if after everything a player tests positive to COVID at the final hurdle and the game had to be pulled.

jeemak
21-10-2020, 12:58 AM
Quite ironic. Last time we had an all Victorian GF was in 2011 and this year we get it but being played in QLD. Also over recent years whoever gets the first goal in the GF loses.

Is that Alanis Morrisette irony Eastie or actual irony?

jeemak
21-10-2020, 12:59 AM

I'd have said he's been unwell for a long time and this isolation is too little too late.

jeemak
21-10-2020, 01:00 AM
Imagine if after everything a player tests positive to COVID at the final hurdle and the game had to be pulled.

I've been hoping for a null and void season for a few weeks now.....can't pinpoint exactly from when in the last few weeks it was, however.

ledge
21-10-2020, 01:40 AM
Looks like the Bont has stayed up for the grand final, my daughter sent me a selfie with him tonight at the restaurant she works at at pacific fair, he was with his family. 987

jeemak
21-10-2020, 01:48 AM
Looks like the Bont has stayed up for the grand final, my daughter sent me a selfie with him tonight at the restaurant she works at at pacific fair, he was with his family. 987

Awesome!

Hey Ledge, either the camera is playing tricks or you're Popeye and your daughter has inherited your forearms!

Bont still looks like a kid in the wild.

ledge
21-10-2020, 02:16 AM
Awesome!

Hey Ledge, either the camera is playing tricks or you're Popeye and your daughter has inherited your forearms!

Bont still looks like a kid in the wild.

Haha funny that I am pretty big in the arms but it’s all done with mirrors with her.
She has sent me some cool selfies over the years one with Lano out of Lano and Woodley , Dave Warner , had Tom Hanks in a lot but he went and got Rona.
All of the footy teams were booked in over the last three months , they got ticked off by the AFL as a restaurant they could use, she said the nicest guy was Walters from freo he came in a lot.

bornadog
24-10-2020, 03:58 PM
Who wins tonight?

Hopefully a good game. I understand raining and humid up there.

chef
24-10-2020, 04:02 PM
Geelong hopefully

bornadog
24-10-2020, 04:03 PM
Geelong hopefully

Even though I hate both teams, would prefer Geelong just because Tigers won last year.

soupman
24-10-2020, 04:13 PM
If Joel Selwood, Patrick Dangerfield, Harry Taylor, Cameron Ling, all Geelong members and residents, Kardinia Park, Moggs Creek and most of all "Catman" all come down with something preventing them ever being able to enjoy and bring up ever again a Premiership win tonight then I'm fine with Geelong winning.

Failing that Richmond all the way for me thanks (especially if Tom Lynch doesn't get to enjoy it).

The Bulldogs Bite
24-10-2020, 04:55 PM
ABG as always.

Anyone. But. Geelong.

I think I'll spew up if I see Danger and Taylor celebrating.

Daughter of the West
24-10-2020, 05:03 PM
If Joel Selwood, Patrick Dangerfield, Harry Taylor, Cameron Ling, all Geelong members and residents, Kardinia Park, Moggs Creek and most of all "Catman" all come down with something preventing them ever being able to enjoy and bring up ever again a Premiership win tonight then I'm fine with Geelong winning.

Failing that Richmond all the way for me thanks (especially if Tom Lynch doesn't get to enjoy it).

ABG as always.

Anyone. But. Geelong.

I think I'll spew up if I see Danger and Taylor celebrating.

These are my feelings exactly.

Dry Rot
24-10-2020, 05:08 PM
Surely a wet ground favours the Tigers?

Once they made some adjustments, the Tigers played the wet ground really well vs Port.

Dunno whether a wet ground favours the Cats high possession game.

Tigers extra speed will help too in the conditions.

josie
24-10-2020, 05:15 PM
Ditto TBB & DoW.

To see Grandma (my nickname for Danger-I reckon something about his face which I know he cannot help - reminds me of a Grandma - perhaps the deep set eyes), Gablett, Taylor and Selfwood celebrate would be yuk. Pack of self entitled whingers. Having said that they are a very well run club, as are Tigers. Would love our club to be despised as much as either team.

Wonder if Dusty makes it 3 norm smiths....

Grantysghost
24-10-2020, 05:15 PM
Tigers all the way. Especially now they've burnt down Vlaustin's house.
Play this ten times Tigers win nine. They are far superior. I'm sensing the Cats may unravel.

Rocket Science
24-10-2020, 05:57 PM
I'm not asking for much, just for Danger to ping a hammy in the first then be consigned fully track-suited to the bench while forced to watch his mob get dismantled, sprinkled with delicious cutaways to an indignant Chris Scott before scenes of Gaddy, Selwood & Taylor inconsolable during the presentation ceremony.

Maximum pain you insufferable twats.

Eastdog
24-10-2020, 06:08 PM
Hoping neither win :D but I think the Tigers are the favourites to win it again. Cats could give them a run for their money. Will be an interesting game and the side that adapts to the wet the best will win.

Eastdog
24-10-2020, 06:21 PM
Proudly wearing my 2016 Doggies premiers T shirt.

https://postimg.cc/nXv6RQS7

DOG GOD
24-10-2020, 06:28 PM
I’m going Geel JUST. As much as I loathe danger/Selwood/Taylor I hate reiwoldt/Cotchin/Lynch more.

bornadog
24-10-2020, 06:36 PM
I’m going Geel JUST. As much as I loathe danger/Selwood/Taylor I hate reiwoldt/Cotchin/Lynch more.

Somehow Tigers have become arrogant so,and so . Watch Riewoldt screaming for free kicks with his arms wide apart and Lynch slapping players with a weak action and Cotchin thinking he is the greatest captain ever

comrade
24-10-2020, 06:53 PM
I just want to see Danger crying in the fetal position after Geelong lose by less than a goal.

The bulldog tragician
24-10-2020, 06:57 PM
I'm not asking for much, just for Danger to ping a hammy in the first then be consigned fully track-suited to the bench while forced to watch his mob get dismantled, sprinkled with delicious cutaways to an indignant Chris Scott before scenes of Gaddy, Selwood & Taylor inconsolable during the presentation ceremony.

Maximum pain you insufferable twats.
Ooohhh that’s so mean. My sentiments exactly, though perhaps to spice it up a little, before the Dangerfield hammy tears, he has already played a shocker, showing he is not up to the occasion, and missed a sitter from 10 metres.

macca
24-10-2020, 07:28 PM
I just want to see Danger crying in the fetal position after Geelong lose by less than a goal.

I was just thinking this so to support Richmond

It be amazing for players like Balta and shai and Pickett if they win

Losing GF is just gut wrenching

azabob
24-10-2020, 08:10 PM
Proudly wearing my 2016 Doggies premiers T shirt.

https://postimg.cc/nXv6RQS7

I’m wearing my 2019 member cap.

chef
24-10-2020, 08:37 PM
Thats shit for Gaz.

Dry Rot
24-10-2020, 08:37 PM
Danger in trouble for that elbow?

EasternWest
24-10-2020, 08:38 PM
Danger in trouble for that elbow?

Yep he definitely didn't need to do that.

Vlaustin is out cold oh my. Pretty crap few days for him.

jeemak
24-10-2020, 08:38 PM
Ablett looks done, Vlaustin done after having his house torched. Full on.

Eastdog
24-10-2020, 08:41 PM
This grand final feels like a regular home and away season game.

Ablett and Vlaustin gone early.

EasternWest
24-10-2020, 08:46 PM
It's a hot game.

jeemak
24-10-2020, 08:48 PM
How's that not a fifty metre penalty. He's just dropped three massive F-bombs right up in the umpire's grill.

EasternWest
24-10-2020, 08:51 PM
I've never been able to warm to Ablett but I hope he can play out the game.

bornadog
24-10-2020, 08:56 PM
This grand final feels like a regular home and away season game.

Yeah I know what you mean

Eastdog
24-10-2020, 08:58 PM
Ablett back out there.

Eastdog
24-10-2020, 09:00 PM
A few people from the crowd have ran onto the ground.

Grantysghost
24-10-2020, 09:01 PM
Terrible game. Ansett cup like. Flat as a shizen carter's hat!

chef
24-10-2020, 09:05 PM
Great contest so far.

jeemak
24-10-2020, 09:06 PM
Terrible game. Ansett cup like. Flat as a shizen carter's hat!

Disagree. It's been tough and the footy is extremely hot.

Some good finishing from Geelong to settle. Reckon this game is cooking along nicely.

azabob
24-10-2020, 09:08 PM

Some good finishing from Geelong to settle. Reckon this game is cooking along nicely.

Great first quarter. Literally had everything.

The Underdog
24-10-2020, 09:09 PM
Great first quarter. Literally had everything.

It was certainly eventful.

Grantysghost
24-10-2020, 09:11 PM

I'm not feeling it, has a 20/20 vibe. I am sober though so there's that.

EasternWest
24-10-2020, 09:31 PM
Geelong's hands have been so much cleaner.

jeemak
24-10-2020, 09:37 PM
How good was that from Martin. Huge.

bornadog
24-10-2020, 09:43 PM
How good was that from Martin. Huge.

Why didn't he have a shot when 30 seconds left - really dumb decision to centre the ball.

The Underdog
24-10-2020, 09:43 PM
Geelong way cleaner. Richmond with too many passengers.
Gary Rohan with a vintage Rohan finals performance, 1 disposal to half time.

Grantysghost
24-10-2020, 09:44 PM
Why didn't he have a shot when 30 seconds left - really dumb decision to centre the ball.

I think he was having a shot, but completely muffed the banana.

chef
24-10-2020, 09:49 PM

Kicked the wrong side of the ball.

comrade
24-10-2020, 09:50 PM
Danger winning a flag would be the worst thing to happen in 2020.

bornadog
Geelong smashing Tigers in CP and stoppages. Nankervis being done like a dinner in the ruck

chef
Vlastuin is a huge out for the tiges, he pretty much runs their defence.

DOG GOD
24-10-2020, 09:52 PM
Geelong should be further in front. A lot of inside 50’s for not much reward. Richmond will come at one stage and hopefully the cats will be able to counteract. Richmond have their usual tap, poke etc going. Just a matter of time before it gets with goal scoring.

bornadog
24-10-2020, 09:58 PM
Geelong should be further in front. A lot of inside 50’s for not much reward. Richmond will come at one stage and hopefully the cats will be able to counteract. Richmond have their usual tap, poke etc going. Just a matter of time before it gets with goal scoring.

Lot of clangers by Richmond. They have 1 less inside 50, but Geelong backline too strong.

Anyone think Riewoldt is cooked? has had a shocking year and 1 disposal to half time

DOG GOD
24-10-2020, 10:01 PM
Lot of clangers by Richmond. They have 1 less inside 50, but Geelong backline too strong.

Anyone think Riewoldt is cooked? has had a shocking year and 1 disposal to half time

Reiwoldt is certainly not involved at the moment. Cats defence is holding up really well. Stewart playing really well, and god forbid, Taylor playing his role. Geelong really only have to stop Martin having score involvements and they SHOULD be ok.

EasternWest
24-10-2020, 10:09 PM

Magic touch, BAD.

Now say "it's been a while since EasternWest won the lottery".

EasternWest
24-10-2020, 10:15 PM
Cats just "Bulldog'ed" the Tigers.

BornInDroopSt'54
24-10-2020, 10:15 PM
Well done Daulhaus.

EasternWest
24-10-2020, 10:23 PM
Martin what a freak.

jeemak
24-10-2020, 10:26 PM
Bruce - he doesn't have the length, but he's got the will, he's got the will...……

Right dickhead.

azabob
24-10-2020, 10:27 PM
Tom Lynch has struggled big time.

EasternWest
24-10-2020, 10:31 PM
Bruce - he doesn't have the length, but he's got the will, he's got the will...……

Right dickhead.

Will gives you ten extra metres on your kick apparently.

jeemak
24-10-2020, 10:34 PM
Will gives you ten extra metres on your kick apparently.

Selwood willed the footy 45m and slightly to the right.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-10-2020, 10:36 PM
Martin is unbelievable.

Best I've ever seen, consistently delivers in big games and big moments

josie
24-10-2020, 10:39 PM
Martin is unbelievable.

Best I've ever seen, consistently delivers in big games and big moments

Agree-remarkable player. If Tigers win this it is largely due to his efforts. His 2 goals were both brilliant. I was thinking of not watching the game but glad I did just to see him strut his stuff.

azabob
24-10-2020, 10:41 PM
Tigers down a man for such a long time.

Huge effort required for the last.

Hope they hold on and get up.

azabob
24-10-2020, 10:51 PM
Far out Bolton has stood up this finals series. Penny seems to have dropped for him.

chef
24-10-2020, 10:52 PM
Game over.

EasternWest
24-10-2020, 10:56 PM
Ha ha Martin that's ridiculous.

chef
24-10-2020, 10:57 PM
Dusty is a *!*!*!*!en football god.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-10-2020, 10:59 PM
Rename Norms medal to Dusty's medal.

What a *!*!*!*!ing player

Grantysghost
24-10-2020, 10:59 PM
Martin is in the conversation for best ever.

jeemak
24-10-2020, 11:00 PM
I only just found out that Balta is the only Tigers player on the ground who hasn't won a premiership. Surely that's the type of thing they'd mention at least once earlier in the match.

jeemak
24-10-2020, 11:06 PM
Fair goal from Menagola after that massive massive hit.

EasternWest
24-10-2020, 11:08 PM
I only just found out that Balta is the only Tigers player on the ground who hasn't won a premiership. Surely that's the type of thing they'd mention at least once earlier in the match.

Shit now I've only just found out.

EasternWest
24-10-2020, 11:11 PM
I don't mind Hodge's analysis but he tries to cram too many words in his allocated time.

azabob
24-10-2020, 11:13 PM
Selwood eye gouges Baker and Bruce says in praise “Selwood still fighting to the end”.

azabob
24-10-2020, 11:14 PM
I don't mind Hodge's analysis but he tries to cram too many words in his allocated time.

To be fair Hodge and Voss should get all the air time.

jeemak
24-10-2020, 11:15 PM
Martin is an out and out freak show.

EasternWest
Martin isn't real, right?

The Bulldogs Bite
Martin taking the piss now

EasternWest
24-10-2020, 11:16 PM
McAvaney "Does he get the Norm Smith"?

Bruce has lost his mind.

Rocket Science
24-10-2020, 11:19 PM
C'mon Channel 7, get with the close ups on emotional Cats players please and thanks.

comrade
24-10-2020, 11:20 PM
Dusty stole Danger’s soul at the end.

The ragtag quiet achiever vs the polished corporate shill.

You love to see it.

Grantysghost
24-10-2020, 11:21 PM
C'mon Channel 7, get with the close ups on emotional Cats players please and thanks.

We should get an iso cam option. Press red to see them shed.

EasternWest
24-10-2020, 11:22 PM

I imagine the close up on Dangerfield was just chef's kiss to some on this forum :)

Sedat
24-10-2020, 11:22 PM
It's great to see Geelong suffer and get absolutely nothing from Hawkins and Dangerfield, but it is depressing to see how far we are from Richmond's level. They built a dynasty after our flag while we took the foot off the gas. Very sobering night that they win a 3rd flag while one of our best young players wants to leave the club.

bornadog
24-10-2020, 11:25 PM
Great second half from Richmond, Geelong got shown up with lots of players that are passed it.

G-Mo77
24-10-2020, 11:30 PM
Not sure if it cost them the game but Ablett's decision to stay out there with 1 wing is a pretty selfish decision. Might be shooting Bambi here but yeah no help at all.

Also a big FU to Dangerfield. Hope it burns prick!

Sedat
24-10-2020, 11:35 PM
Not sure if it cost them the game but Ablett's decision to stay out there with 1 wing is a pretty selfish decision. Might be shooting Bambi here but yeah no help at all.

I reckon the other way. It was selfless of Ablett to help with the rotations

jeemak
24-10-2020, 11:36 PM
Yeah, absolutely needed him out there and taking some pressure off the midfield and forward group.

G-Mo77
24-10-2020, 11:39 PM
I reckon the other way. It was selfless of Ablett to help with the rotations

What was his on field time? If it was scattered more than normal then yeah, I'd agree. Didn't seem that way though.

chef
24-10-2020, 11:40 PM

Nah, Ablett needed to stay out there to help the team.

azabob
24-10-2020, 11:40 PM
I can’t stand Cotchin. Up there with the smugness of Selwood and Dangerfield.

Rocket Science
24-10-2020, 11:42 PM
Oh well the silver lining for the Catters is they've got cavalry coming in the form of proven finals performer Jeremy Cameron.

Would've been the difference tonight I'm sure.

G-Mo77
24-10-2020, 11:43 PM
Oh well the silver lining for the Catters is they've got cavalry coming in the form of proven finals performer Jeremy Cameron.

Hopefully Gary Rohan is still there with him to tear up the stats sheet come finals time.

Dry Rot
24-10-2020, 11:44 PM
Cameron and Rohan will be a lethal big game combination.

macca
24-10-2020, 11:47 PM

Cameron was ordinary this year because Patton was gone and he was left to be number 1 goal kicker. He may get better playing with second defender while Hawkins gets all the attention

Baker was really good back in defense, tough and repelled their attacks

Pickett was good in defense and kept his feet
McIntosh is really under rated .

Shai Bolton is touch of class above
BALTA is a power athlete and he can play and command the footy

The whole Richmond side, geez they can handle pressure and incredible they came back from 21 points down with 1 man short
So even across the team and make few mistakes.

I reckon Blivacs is someone worth pursuing. He can play multiple positions, ok in the ruck , very quick and agile . I reckon we should throw 600k at him . For a multi-year structured contract

I am happy Richmond won because ...
None none these geelong players could add to their premiership cupboard : dalhause, danger, Albert, touhy, Rohan,

Martin is just incredible . Where was Bruce's special! ??

azabob
24-10-2020, 11:53 PM
Not enough Tom Stewart hate for my liking. Glad he still is without a flag.

Dry Rot
24-10-2020, 11:53 PM
So who were your top 3 Cats players tonight?

Guthrie would have to be one.

Grantysghost
24-10-2020, 11:58 PM

I thought Dalhaus played a pretty good game. Duncan probably their best.

Sedat
24-10-2020, 11:58 PM

Duncan was awesome. Selwood fought a lone hand in midfield. Stewart was excellent early

jeemak
25-10-2020, 12:05 AM
I thought Duncan was excellent and would be happy to have him playing for us.

Rocket Science
25-10-2020, 12:11 AM
Particularly relished the chasm between Dusty & Danger, one willing himself upon critical, tide-turning moments and daring anyone to stop him, the other habitually flinging his arms out hoping for charity whenever a contest didn't go his way.

Enjoy your off-season Paddy.

The bulldog tragician
25-10-2020, 12:15 AM
I am jealous.

Eastdog
25-10-2020, 12:16 AM
I am jealous.

I won’t lie I wish we could have built a dynasty from our 2016 success and made a bit of history. It just wasn’t to be.

Dry Rot
25-10-2020, 12:21 AM
Tigers showed that a good ruckman can be useful.

GVGjr
25-10-2020, 12:26 AM
I am jealous.

I won’t lie I wish we could have built a dynasty from our 2016 success and made a bit of history. It just wasn’t to be.

The Tigers have done what we can only dream of. Like TBT, I'm a bit jealous about the dynasty they have built
It would be difficult to suggest they won't be around the mark next year as well.

Rocket Science
25-10-2020, 12:36 AM
Not sure I've loved Nintendo AFL Commentator (https://twitter.com/NintendoFooty) as much as I do tonight.

https://i.ibb.co/6B571sR/Screen-Shot-2020-10-24-at-11-32-21-pm.png (https://ibb.co/TL5xbhB)

It's perfect. All it's missing is the word "again".

The Bulldogs Bite
25-10-2020, 01:16 AM
Not sure I've loved Nintendo AFL Commentator (https://twitter.com/NintendoFooty) as much as I do tonight.

https://i.ibb.co/6B571sR/Screen-Shot-2020-10-24-at-11-32-21-pm.png (https://ibb.co/TL5xbhB)

It's perfect. All it's missing is the word "again".

Love your work in this thread RS.

Eastdog
25-10-2020, 01:18 AM
Love your work in this thread RS.

Yeah RS does some great stuff.

jazzadogs
25-10-2020, 02:01 AM

16 of the Tigers playing tonight played in their 2017 flag.

Out: Butler (trade), Caddy (omitted, played 2019), Ellis (FA, played 2019), Grigg (retired), Rance (retired), Townsend (traded)
In: Baker, Bolton, Balta, Pickett, Lynch, Short

For comparison we only have 10 of our 2016 premiership players still on our list - 7 retirements (5 of them 'early'), 4 trades/FA and one delisting.

I'm not sure of my point, but it's definitely interesting.

comrade
25-10-2020, 07:57 AM
Those 2020 ins vs 2017 are huge upgrades. Richmond are going to be a force for years to come.

Grantysghost
25-10-2020, 08:57 AM
Those 2020 ins vs 2017 are huge upgrades. Richmond are going to be a force for years to come.

They are better now for sure. In the age of equalisation it's amazing there can be an outlier of this magnitude. Really it was just one bad game from 4 on the trot. I think off field spend must have something to do with it. An incredible run with injuries too. Oh and that Martin guy.

comrade
25-10-2020, 09:09 AM
Anyone got any decent screenshots of Danger post match. In the mood for some Sunday morning schadenfreude.

azabob
25-10-2020, 09:09 AM
The amazing thing with Richmond is really only Tom Lynch is a high profile recruit or trade from another club and to a lesser degree Dion Prestia (albeit just as important to their set up). Other players from other clubs are low TRUE MONEY BALL TRADES. Nankervis and Houli.

They win the hard way. They win different ways. This year they lost week one and last night were totally outplayed in the first half.

Last year the were jumped by Geelong in the prelim and then went on to play scintillating football for six quarters and the rest is history.

Grantysghost
25-10-2020, 09:44 AM
The amazing thing with Richmond is really only Tom Lynch is a high profile recruit or trade from another club and to a lesser degree Dion Prestia (albeit just as important to their set up). Other players from other clubs are low TRUE MONEY BALL TRADES. Nankervis and Houli.

They win the hard way. They win different ways. This year they lost week one and last night were totally outplayed in the first half.

Last year the were jumped by Geelong in the prelim and then went on to play scintillating football for six quarters and the rest is history.

So true. I went through their list during the week and it's all pretty much amazing work at the draft table. Caddy is another they traded for but he can't even get a gig now. Liam Baker for example was over looked by everyone and rookie drafted by the Tigers, Bolton was a mid second rounder in 2016
(29) as was Balta who was their second pick (25) after the 2017 flag. That pick went from GWS to Essendon as part of the Devon Smith trade, then to Dogs as part of Stringer deal, then to Lions for Schache, before finally ending up with the Tigers who swapped 15 and 52 for 20 and 25.
So we kind of swapped Balta for Schache. My recollection is the Tigers had some interest in Schache but cooled on him and I can only think they decided on Balta.

comrade
25-10-2020, 09:46 AM
So true. I went through their list during the week and it's all pretty much amazing work at the draft table. Caddy is another they traded for but he can't even get a gig now. Liam Baker for example was over looked by everyone and rookie drafted by the Tigers, Bolton was a mid second rounder in 2016
(29) as was Balta who was their second pick (25) after the 2017 flag. That pick went from GWS to Essendon as part of the Devon Smith trade, then to Dogs as part of Stringer deal, then to Lions for Schache, before finally ending up with the Tigers who swapped 15 and 52 for 20 and 25.
So we kind of swapped Schache for Balta. My recollection is the Tigers had some interest in Schache but cooled on him and I can only think they decided on Balta.

I love Balta.

comrade
25-10-2020, 09:48 AM

Yep, none of that ‘we’ll know within the first 5 minutes if we’re a shot’ that the Bulldogs throw at you. Richmond fans go in every game knowing their side is a chance no matter what the circumstances are.

Rocket Science
25-10-2020, 10:16 AM
Anyone got any decent screenshots of Danger post match. In the mood for some Sunday morning schadenfreude.

Ahh Danger, even when he's hurtin' he knows where the cameras are.

https://i.ibb.co/zP2Zhrr/Screen-Shot-2020-10-25-at-9-10-53-am.png (https://ibb.co/p4Kdvxx)

Rocket Science
25-10-2020, 10:25 AM
It's become such a time honoured tradition Geelong might like to give serious consideration to adapting this as their new logo.

https://i.ibb.co/cyBMxnk/Screen-Shot-2020-10-25-at-9-06-33-am.png (https://ibb.co/p17GnFb)

azabob
25-10-2020, 10:25 AM
I said it last night but it bares repeating Shai Bolton has seriously elevated his standing in the game in this finals series.

DOG GOD
25-10-2020, 10:33 AM
I said it last night but it bares repeating Shai Bolton has seriously elevated his standing in the game in this finals series.

I’m sure we were sniffing around Shai a few years ago...damn.

The Underdog
25-10-2020, 10:51 AM

The kick into the goal square in the last quarter was genius.

EasternWest
25-10-2020, 10:56 AM

And the little shimmy to make it happen oh my.

comrade
25-10-2020, 11:00 AM
Ahh Danger, even when he's hurtin' he knows where the cameras are.

https://i.ibb.co/zP2Zhrr/Screen-Shot-2020-10-25-at-9-10-53-am.png (https://ibb.co/p4Kdvxx)

This loss was brought to you by Swisse.

Grantysghost
25-10-2020, 11:11 AM
It's become such a time honoured tradition Geelong might like to give serious consideration to adapting this as their new logo.

https://i.ibb.co/cyBMxnk/Screen-Shot-2020-10-25-at-9-06-33-am.png (https://ibb.co/p17GnFb)

If only there was someone who could immortalise this with some type of image manipulation program.

bornadog
25-10-2020, 11:30 AM
They are better now for sure. In the age of equalisation it's amazing there can be an outlier of this magnitude. Really it was just one bad game from 4 on the trot. I think off field spend must have something to do with it. An incredible run with injuries too. Oh and that Martin guy.

The balance of the team has to be right for sustained winning. Geelong last night fielded 11 players with over 150 games and average games overall of 160. They only had two players with less than 50 games. Richmond have had a very balanced team over the past 4 years, but they are starting to get up there with average games (120, with 9 over 150). They have done well with bringing in players to replace those leaving.

If you look at us this year in the finals, we had 3 players with more than 150 games, but we are balanced in the 50 to 150 area. What we lack is the few key players to balance things out. Our GF winning team was unusual as we were one of the youngest to ever win, Essendon being the youngest, however, that doesn't mean young = sustained success. Like Essendon of 1993, we have failed to make another GF. Why? Because the players we lost, were key players that were hard to replace. Senior players leaving and not being replaced by the same type puts pressure on young guys to perform every week.

Overall, Tigers have been able to balance the team, play like a team. They don't have too many A graders, but they do have role players that do their job. Geelong on the other hand are about to have some big holes to fill with so many players in their 30s.

jeemak
25-10-2020, 12:26 PM

The purchase he was able to get on it when laying it on the outside of the boot was next level good. If left it would've landed a couple of metres out and gone through from outside 50m.

Sedat
25-10-2020, 02:58 PM
Dusty stole Danger’s soul at the end.

The ragtag quiet achiever vs the polished corporate shill.

You love to see it.
If I could love this post 1,000 times I would. Just a note-perfect encapsulation of Dusty v Danger

DOG GOD
25-10-2020, 03:02 PM
So what are the thoughts about a night grand final? Personally I found it just like another Saturday night game. I really hope it’s a one off. Thoughts?

bornadog
25-10-2020, 03:10 PM
So what are the thoughts about a night grand final? Personally I found it just like another Saturday night game. I really hope it’s a one off. Thoughts?

It really doesn't suit families with kids, especially since it doesn't finish till so late with presentations etc. Plus many people like to go out and celebrate afterwards at restaurants, but that wouldn't happen with a night GF.

If they had to change, a 4.30pm start would be all I would be prepared to agree with.

Sedat
25-10-2020, 03:12 PM
It really doesn't suit families with kids, especially since it doesn't finish till so late with presentations etc. Plus many people like to go out and celebrate afterwards at restaurants, but that wouldn't happen with a night GF.

If they had to change, a 4.30pm start would be all I would be prepared to agree with.

Agreed. I prefer the day GF but if a change has to be made, twilight would be more palatable and also gives the theatre goers and corporate suits their garbage fireworks display for half time.

soupman
25-10-2020, 03:12 PM

As a spectacle it's possibly slightly cooler with the extra lighting stuff you can do in the nighttime, but in every other sense I do not see the benefit and think it is worse.

From a football sense no different.

From a neutral fan perspective it is different but not necessarily better or worse. I do like it being a day game because it is usually the first big group BBQ you have leading into summer and I like the way it gives a random usually sunny Saturday some meaning. Love going out for a kick at halftime/after the game in the sun. Nighttime means you are much more beholden to the broadcast and the entertainment (and ads) it provides. I don't like that as much.

On the entertainment yes bands look better at night but I'm not sure that's at all a compelling reason to change the timeslot, especially when the calibre of bands we get for it are Sheppard (yuck).

In terms of placement in the day I don't like it, way too much dead time beforehand and no time to savour it afterwards. I like the day time games ability to provide the 2 hours after the match at the ground to soak it up and still provide you with hours to go out celebrating. Nighttime grand final means that by the time the ceremony and victory lap are over it's nearly midnight.

Also I assume shocking for kids, I've read a few twitter posts saying after being super excited all day peoples kids were falling asleep in the third quarter.

I'd be strongly against another night grand final, I just think the only benefit is from a TV/entertainment looking slightly cooler perspective. Imo it would be a change to the detriment of the wider footballing public for the sake of grabbing a few extra rating points, and I guess that is a price the AFL would be willing to pay where I would not.

I am very much expecting a twilight Grand Final next, which I guess is an okish compromise but I'd really just prefer it to stay a daytime thing.

macca
25-10-2020, 03:55 PM
So we kind of swapped Balta for Schache. My recollection is the Tigers had some interest in Schache but cooled on him and I can only think they decided on Balta.

Thanks for brilliant analysis
Baker is tough as nails , and he hates get beaten 1 on 1. A good kick and very well balanced . Hardly see him lose his feet
Balta is a gem. Powerful, quick , good overhead mark, good kick and plays multiple positions. I hope Scache had a look and see the standards he needs to get to.

I love how Essendon gained smith and lost out on Balta. Houli leaving them. The people who leave Essendon seem to prosper ... I could add melksham and Ryder to that list

Dion prestia , 3 premierships. Gws zero and going south .

2019 tigers won the vfl premiership . They have good depth
Caddy is a tough nut and just knows how to find the ball, not overall quick

Broad has been a good pickup , 2015 draft number 67 ! From swan districts. For some reason I thought he came from williamstown

There seems to be more upside with many of their players. Shai bolton is a class above and just seems to know how to read the ball ahead of the game.

Lambert is really under rated and he kicked some crucial goals yesterday

Incredible that Bolton, baker and Pickett have played less than 30 games and now have 2 premierships.

Happy for the Long term players on the list : Edward and astbury who were there before hardwick

Tigers have recruited and developed their players very well . Also I think they have cut their list deep enough to keep all players competing. Kinda ironic Geelong have gone the other way and seem to attract players to come to them . GEELONG may have a big GAP when their over 30s players begin to retire.

merantau
25-10-2020, 04:21 PM
Geelong won in 2011 - Scott's first year. Since then they have played in the finals just about every year, I think, but have not added to their silverware. Questions need to be asked. They have a serious home ground advantage. Has this masked some of the deficiencies of Scott as coach? Why did he start Dangerfield deep forward in the second half and leave him there when it was obvious that Richmond were winning contested ball and surging. What's wrong with Hawkins as a target? Radegolea would have been a handy player in the ruck and up forward especially as Volustin had been elbowed out of the game. Was he available for selection? If I was a Geelong supporter I would be very disappointed over the years since 2011.

Rocket Science
25-10-2020, 05:21 PM
Whatever the time slot if we can dispense with the tedious, piped-in, post-goal doof-doof that'd be ace thx Gill.

Dry Rot
25-10-2020, 05:39 PM
Not enough credit has gone to Hardwick for some new, groundbreaking moves, such as playing a mature, capable ruckman, playing true forwards in the forward line and training players to make their tackles stick.

Perhaps we could adopt some of these innovative moves in 2021?

Rocket Science
25-10-2020, 05:51 PM
Thanks for brilliant analysis
Baker is tough as nails , and he hates get beaten 1 on 1. A good kick and very well balanced . Hardly see him lose his feet
Balta is a gem. Powerful, quick , good overhead mark, good kick and plays multiple positions. I hope Scache had a look and see the standards he needs to get to.

I love how Essendon gained smith and lost out on Balta. Houli leaving them. The people who leave Essendon seem to prosper ... I could add melksham and Ryder to that list

Dion prestia , 3 premierships. Gws zero and going south .

2019 tigers won the vfl premiership . They have good depth
Caddy is a tough nut and just knows how to find the ball, not overall quick

Broad has been a good pickup , 2015 draft number 67 ! From swan districts. For some reason I thought he came from williamstown

There seems to be more upside with many of their players. Shai bolton is a class above and just seems to know how to read the ball ahead of the game.

Lambert is really under rated and he kicked some crucial goals yesterday

Incredible that Bolton, baker and Pickett have played less than 30 games and now have 2 premierships.

Happy for the Long term players on the list : Edward and astbury who were there before hardwick

Tigers have recruited and developed their players very well . Also I think they have cut their list deep enough to keep all players competing. Kinda ironic Geelong have gone the other way and seem to attract players to come to them . GEELONG may have a big GAP when their over 30s players begin to retire.

It's almost as if a coherent, reliable system that maximises talent/effort and minimises structural disruption might be worth investing in rather than slinging blokes left, right and centre in a series of rolling experiments in the hope the stars randomly align for 5 minutes and yield dividends.

Richmond are so bloody reliable it makes me sick and I hate-watch them for it just to get a taste of what it's like.

GVGjr
25-10-2020, 07:00 PM
Not enough credit has gone to Hardwick for some new, groundbreaking moves, such as playing a mature, capable ruckman, playing true forwards in the forward line and training players to make their tackles stick.

Perhaps we could adopt some of these innovative moves in 2021?

And they lost a player in the first 7 minutes for the balance of the game. They just get on with things

merantau
25-10-2020, 10:57 PM
16 of the Tigers playing tonight played in their 2017 flag.

Out: Butler (trade), Caddy (omitted, played 2019), Ellis (FA, played 2019), Grigg (retired), Rance (retired), Townsend (traded)
In: Baker, Bolton, Balta, Pickett, Lynch, Short

For comparison we only have 10 of our 2016 premiership players still on our list - 7 retirements (5 of them 'early'), 4 trades/FA and one delisting.

I'm not sure of my point, but it's definitely interesting.

It's worth comparing our 2016 and 1954 Premiership teams four years down the track. Now we are down to 10 players left from 2016. From our 1954 Premiers there were only 3 who played on after 1958 - Jim Gallagher and Arthur Edwards (both retired 1960) and EJ who retired in 1970.