PDA

View Full Version : Rating our list 2020 Toby McLean 16

Hotdog60
24-10-2020, 09:10 AM
Well the season is done and dusted but the list rating still goes on as we continue to evaluate each player on our list starting with the highest number Lin Jong down to Matthew Suckling.
The poll will run for a week and when your post in the poll if you can give a reason on your thoughts so we can share your insights.
At the end we'll see how our list looks in the eyes of WOOF members.

Hotdog60
24-10-2020, 09:11 AM
A few stats:
Height: 180cm
Weight: 79Kg
Games: 91

Toby McLean is a creative small forward/midfielder with exceptional leap and marking ability for his size. Crafty around goal, agile and prolific ball-winner, McLean averaged 22 disposals from 20 games and kicked 32 goals in an outstanding first year in the TAC Cup. The 18 year-old was runner-up in the TAC Cup’s league best and fairest award, and was named best on ground in the Oakleigh Chargers’ TAC Cup Grand Final win in September over the Calder Cannons. McLean started his year as a forward, but forged his way into the Chargers’ midfield proving a crucial ingredient in their successful season, recording multiple 30+ disposal games. At the NAB AFL Draft Combine, McLean finished equal-third in the kicking test (27/30). McLean played a career-high 15 games in 2016, and was a part of the Club's AFL Premiership win in just his second season of senior football.

LINK (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/players/1081/toby-mclean#playerbio)

GVGjr
24-10-2020, 09:44 AM
McLean hasn't quite progressed the way we would have hoped for but he is closing in on a 100 games for us and he could very well have another 100 games in front of him. We will miss him in 2021 though as he recovers from his injury.

I still see him more as a half forward flanker who takes turns in the midfield but he might even be used a bit more with some tagging duties.

bornadog
24-10-2020, 01:35 PM
Mclean played a few roles this year as a run with player and did a good job. He has found it difficult to find a spot as he hasn't got the class of a Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dunks to be a full time mid, yet he doesn't get enough goals to be a permenant small forward.

I think inventing him as a tagger/run with mid is a great idea by Jeemak and MJP -oh sorry I mean Bevo.:D

AshMac
30-10-2020, 04:58 PM
Easily another 100 games ahead of him.

Additionally, He is a player I would be very happy to part with for the right price. An established - premiership player who is outstanding when played in his primary role but very little range and flexibility that would suit another club enormously. Market value below worth IMO

soupman
30-10-2020, 05:59 PM
After two+ seasons of fruitlessly trying to find a role he can contribute in I was very much in favour of shopping him around for both our sakes. Finally started to put together some good form then did his knee and now has no trade value. I like him but he really hasn't earned selection through form for a long time now and is nowhere near the clever half forward he was in his first couple of seasons, nor the accumulating midfielder he was in 2017.